Castle Siege: Ballerburg PC

tbd

No user score yet- Awaiting 3 more ratings

1. Sep 7, 2011
    I purchased this game from a pound shop several years ago, (I live in England, think 99c store or other equivalent.) and as such, my expectations were not especially high. I encountered no technical problems with the installation or in-game content and discovered that this game was quite fun to play. Albeit, casually. The graphics were by no means spectacular for 2004 but they wereI purchased this game from a pound shop several years ago, (I live in England, think 99c store or other equivalent.) and as such, my expectations were not especially high. I encountered no technical problems with the installation or in-game content and discovered that this game was quite fun to play. Albeit, casually. The graphics were by no means spectacular for 2004 but they were functional. The depth of strategy involved in successfully winning a siege could be summed up as a combination of light economic management, defensive building and trial and error when handling the immobile and varyingly imprecise weapons. There were exceptions to this formula, such as the use of magic and bomber blimps which could be countered with ballistas. I didn't consciously look out for a magic/artillery imbalance and can't offer an opinion over which was more effective. I found that magic was more of an auxiliary tool which could help to some extent between regular bombardment routines.

The user interface and controls were clunky at first but could be mastered fairly quickly. I found the 'overhead' mode for economy/purchasing/repair to be fairly intuitive and the siege weapon handling system to have some strategic nuance but generally forgiving in terms of difficulty.

The voice acting and characterization of the generic skivvy/advice repository was passable but grew slightly repetitive and irritating. The presentation of the faction leaders, four sisters vying for control of territory, was full of ethnic and other clichés, but nonetheless entertaining. It afforded me more fun that I would have expected for £1.

There are no critic reviews yet.