7.8

1. Feb 25, 2014
    Awful - WISH I would have read a review before getting this game. It's 10 steps backward from the original. I was expecting so much more. The graphics aren't bad, but the gameplay just becomes a bore.
  2. Mar 3, 2014
    Disappointed. Lords of Shadow 1 was great. But part 2 is a let down. They rip you out of the game play every second for some overly dramatic fly by or cut scene. I've been playing for 4 hours and I have no idea what I'm fighting for as the story is non existent. Is this a continuation of the first game? I have no idea. Managing your powers in the first game was fun. In part 2 I barly useDisappointed. Lords of Shadow 1 was great. But part 2 is a let down. They rip you out of the game play every second for some overly dramatic fly by or cut scene. I've been playing for 4 hours and I have no idea what I'm fighting for as the story is non existent. Is this a continuation of the first game? I have no idea. Managing your powers in the first game was fun. In part 2 I barly use them. Now the enemies block a lot which takes the Hack & Slash element out of the game. And let's face it this is a hack and slash game. The art work is not even close to the first one. The level design is very poor. Voice acting is pretty beat Except for Patrick Stewart. He can do no wrong. They got rid of the quick action when fighting boss guys. This is a really dumbed down version of the first one. I'm not even sure the same people made it. I hope part 3 is better. It reminds me of Darksiders.. Darksiders 1 was great and Darksiders 2 was crap it was one big fetch quest. Sorry for the bad review but I was so excited for this to come out and now I'm so disappointed. Castlevania LOS 2 = Crap. LOS 1 was a visual masterpiece that took you on a journey. This one feels like work.. Dam Ii'm mad Expand
  3. Fuz
    Jun 24, 2014
    Decent game, worse than the first one but still somewhat enjoyable.
    The problem here is that it's a terrible port, showing you gamepad keys even if you're playing with the keyboard/mouse combo (which is extremely confusing, especially during QTEs) and some keys aren't redefinable. Said so, the K/M control themselves are precise and responsive.
    But the worst flaw is that the exploration
    Decent game, worse than the first one but still somewhat enjoyable.
    But the worst flaw is that the exploration parts use a shoulder camera angle that is extremely annoying and, personally, makes me feel constantly out of balance and gives me trouble aiming and looking around... why not leave the character on the center of the screen? Would have been WAY more enjoyable. Pairing that with a really low fov makes exploring a terrible, stressing pain.

The shoulder camera angle is a terrible trend and a terrible design choice.
  4. Mar 12, 2014
    I was eagerly wating for this game. During the first stage i thought it was pretty cool being a dracula but in the second stage you have to become a rat and sneak around . Seriously? You are a dracula and you have to hide from bad guys? I read the professional reviews on sites and thought their reviews are wrong, this game must be good. But now i have witnessed it first hand it is reallyI was eagerly wating for this game. During the first stage i thought it was pretty cool being a dracula but in the second stage you have to become a rat and sneak around . Seriously? You are a dracula and you have to hide from bad guys? I read the professional reviews on sites and thought their reviews are wrong, this game must be good. But now i have witnessed it first hand it is really terrible. The combat system is nowhere as good as DMC or God of war. Also weapons are copied from other games(shamelessly). Expand
  5. Mar 10, 2014
    Don't fall for the fanboy hyped ratings, the professional critics are spot on. C:LOS 2 is a colossal disappointment.. From the unnecessary stealth missions, to the unimpressive enemies, the poor pacing to the underwhelming gameplay, this game is simply not as powerful as the first C:LOS. The game simply has disappointed me to the point where I simply want to dumb it down to the easiestDon't fall for the fanboy hyped ratings, the professional critics are spot on. C:LOS 2 is a colossal disappointment.. From the unnecessary stealth missions, to the unimpressive enemies, the poor pacing to the underwhelming gameplay, this game is simply not as powerful as the first C:LOS. The game simply has disappointed me to the point where I simply want to dumb it down to the easiest difficulty and plow through it. It's a shame because the first one was the most favorite game I played last year (waited for the PC version). I really wanted another magical journey like the first C:LOS, but instead you are tossed around disconnected environments and thrown into ridiculous stealth missions that break you from the few enjoyable moments in the game. I was really looking forward to this title, sadly, it has not only missed my expectations, but is beginning to feel like a chore to finish. Time to pass the torch to another developer, this series needs a wrap. Expand
  6. May 30, 2014
    Throughout the bland sections of modern-world gameplay littered with forced stealth sections that are as fun as a root canal, the repetitive combat that becomes boring before the tutorial is even over, the linear climbing sections, and the vast, open, and notably empty castle world with a pretty environment and nothing else at all of interest, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 was nothing butThroughout the bland sections of modern-world gameplay littered with forced stealth sections that are as fun as a root canal, the repetitive combat that becomes boring before the tutorial is even over, the linear climbing sections, and the vast, open, and notably empty castle world with a pretty environment and nothing else at all of interest, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 was nothing but a big chore to play from the start to the moment I couldn't stand anymore and turned it off. Expand
  7. Mar 15, 2014
    I'd like to add that I hadn't bothered to read any reviews on this one anywhere, I just thought I liked the look of it, so I went and got it. Aaaaaaaaand then wish I hadn't.

Graphics were nice - but this is nothing new we haven't seen before in the likes of Devil May Cry, which this game might as well be, just under a different wrapper. Same garish scenery, dark colours and moody backdrops with the occasional soft bloom of innocence thrown in their somewhere to break the monotony. This is not new graphics wise. Or game play wise. Just mash the buttons as much as possible and hey presto you might get somewhere. You do - DO need a gamepad for this. Unless you're used to playing about with a lot of keys on a keyboard then you're pretty screwed for a while whilst you get to grips with e.g. pressing F on the keyboard when it asks you to press Y (on a gamepad - which you won't have if you're using the keyboard).
    The boss fights.....urgh. The first one was kinda easy really. It was the easiest. The second was immediately damn near impossible, and the one I've reached is so friggin hard I just rage quit. Several times - it's not because of that that I dislike the game. It's because of the logic of the game play (you'll see for yourself if you should dare to part dosh to get it - although I wouldn't recommend it, I suggest you rent it if you're going to play it), which is so bizarre in places that it just defies belief.
    There are points in the game that had me thinking that the person responsible for the game play must have been a weed-smoking pock-faced teenager with a plastic bag on his head - because it would take one to produce something like this.
    I noticed almost immediately that Patrick Stewart was in this, and therein lied my false hopes of something pretty damn good, because beyond the first boss fight, things just went further and further downhill.

An awful effort that so clearly hadn't been done before that it must be done again. That was sarcasm. If anyone does this again they should be fired.
    Also, rating the game 10 because of other people's low scores is very misleading....eLipse. Stick to your original intentions.
  8. Sep 19, 2014
    Debilitatingly disappointing. I can't stand this crap pile of code. The story is excruciatingly slow. The dialogue is awkward and is comprised mostly of overly-exaggerated acting.

The graphics are sub-par. Even on the highest settings on a newer high-end Samsung plasma TV and a gaming PC equipped with SLI'd GTX 780 Ti's, I am reminded more of a PS3 game than a PC game. After much experimentation with the graphic settings, I have come to the conclusion that they used motion blur to cover up the shortcomings and inadequacies of their game engine. Motion blur has clearly been implemented to bridge and smooth the gaps between stuttering frames rather than to create a more realistic sense of motion. (Turn off motion blur and you'll see what I mean.)

The combat gameplay is utterly terrible. Gabriel is incredibly sluggish for being the badass that he's supposed to be. The camera angles are unmanageable and frequently interfere with the direction of your attack. Even the minor improvement after you disable the "Combat Assist Camera" setting, you are still left to struggle against some unidentified form of 'aim-assist' that frequently targets random objects to your sides and behind you rather than the bad guys - which is completely infuriating.

On that note, let's talk about enemies. Enemies are as cheap as they come. Their attacks will always interrupt yours where, conversely, your attacks rarely ever interrupt theirs. To make matters worse, the enemies constantly rely mostly on their 'unblockable' attacks. They are so frequent that fighting multiple groups of monsters results in more dodging and - invariably - dying over and over again rather than a well-balanced challenge. The unblockables are either back-to-back or followed up by a second attack that changes oblique angles to follow Gabriel in more of a 'homing' fashion. All of this requires a lot more room to maneuver than is often provided.

Forget blocking. It worked well in the first game but here, blocking is inconsistent in success.

Worse still; as you progress through the game, you are faced with armored enemies whom you can not damage until you fist-pound the armor off of their bodies with the chaos claws. (This supposedly makes the armor "hot" until it either shatters...OR the AI decides that it's too hot to wear - at which point they strip it off.)

Attacks don't just glance off of the armor. They bounce off. This makes targeting the lesser enemies around an armored enemy IMPOSSIBLE as your blows land squarely on the armored enemy rather than on any of the non-armored enemies. This makes fighting infuriating as you can't target the armored enemy without having to constantly avoid the attacks of the lesser enemies and vise versa. (Again, most of these attacks are unblockables.)

It is also obvious that the developers generate challenge in the game using cheap methodology. The whip's reach is ridiculously short and enemies purposefully stay just outside of it's range. The sword and claws are nearly useless as they are limited on usability due to rapidly-drained energy meters which must be saved for various tasks. It's also irritating that ground attacks still catch you in-air - despite what basic relativity/logic would otherwise dictate.

The bosses are ridiculous with typical lather/rinse/repeat tactics. Many of their attacks feel cheap and, at first, unavoidable. (Again, Gabriel is ridiculously sluggish.)

Also... Why is a terrible creature such as Dracula spending so much time skulking in the dark as a rat? LAME.

Then there are the little maze/stealth 'puzzle games' you play with various main story characters. (Carmella, Agreas (Pan's brother,) etc.) Here, you have to sneak through the areas unseen as the characters hunt you with intent to kill you on sight. These are incredibly irritating. This is NOT what Castlevania games are about. The controls are difficult enough but these control difficulties are highlighted during these maze/stealth puzzle games.

All of this does little more than to make your character seem weak and not AT ALL like someone who once defeated the most powerful foes the world's history has ever known. This is unforgivable.

It definitely wasn't long into the game to realize that it's an atrocity. Not only does it quickly prove you right, it actually makes you realize that you underestimated it's terrific level of crappiness. It's definitely the type of game that makes you wonder in fury if the studio has ever heard of "quality assurance." ("Did they even PLAY the damn game after making it!?")

NOTE: Dying finds you having to re-watch all videos and re-gather all items you find unless you passed a save point - including shards that increase your stats. (WHY, Mercury Steam? WHY!?)

Don't feel bad if you finally give up on playing this crappy game and resort to Googling the videos to finish Gabriel's story instead. Trust me. I should have. It's NOT worth the time it takes to play it.

This game is GARBAGE
  9. Nov 23, 2014
    This game is really silly .The control sucks, game-play is like DMC but dmc is better,faster and More fun. I give the game 0 because This game does not have any positive thing .

A mediocre button masher at best, brought down by absurd design choices and low production values. [Issue #240]
  2. Mar 14, 2014
    An unfortunate conclusion to a once promising trilogy.
  3. Mar 4, 2014
    The creators have looked everywhere and were inspired by everything, but unlike the competition there's no quality in their endeavours. Instead of a great hack and slash title they serve us a merely stereotypically dull piece without brains. On top of that, the game looks off colour.