7.4

1. Sep 4, 2013
    110% The whole Game, Didn't review the Demo

I've bought this game on the Xbox360 and immediately thought the PC version was needed, the game has an amazing story backed up with a variety of game-play elements though the soundtrack gets a bit old and the fixed camera gets in the way... On PC; The good and the Bad. The Good Resolutions going as high as possible, in this case, 4k
    110% The whole Game, Didn't review the Demo

On PC; The good and the Bad.
    The Good
    Resolutions going as high as possible, in this case, 4k downscale; will explain...
    Optimization in this game is amazing, Vsync is vital since I got over 100 FPS average
    Graphically Amazing, with high resolution and Frame-rate this game pleases the eye quite a bit.
    Now, The BAD
    720p, No AA Cutscenes, Not all cutscenes are this bad, Like Batman Arkham Asylum, you'll be reminded how this game looked like on a console.
    Keyboard Controls are horrible, Luckily, If you are a Smart PC gamer, you'll have a controller for games like these
    Anti-Aliasing is FXAA only, I use 4k Downscale as a method of a better Anti-Aliasing since FXAA is Crap.
    No Metal Gear stuff, Useless, but I did like the headband, it was replaced with expanded vampire wargames...

The Verdict: Still holds up, Mods will come to fix some issues, they are already trying to get better AA modes via Nvidia Inpector or Sweetfx
  2. Sep 1, 2013
    The port is pretty good, the graphics are okay from a technical standpoint (you get higher quality shadows, ssao, the framerate is completely smooth). The artstyle is superb. I turned off the ingame antialiasing and used sweetfx (smaa and lumasharpen). Could not get driver antialiasing to work, the screen would appear completely black.

The game controls well enough with the mouse and

The game controls well enough with the mouse and keyboard if you modify the default bindings. I use wasd plus mouse left (attack), mouse right (area attack), middle mouse (secondary weapon), 1 and 2 for triggering the magic, f and h for collecting the orbs, alt for dodge, space for jump.

The game features plenty of content (about 20 hours) with an interesting story, diverse environments with rewards for exploration, challenging gameplay, platforming and puzzle sections and an experience system (unlock new skills).

Note: The game features a fixed camera. This doesn't bother me buy it may be a problem for some.
  3. Aug 30, 2013
    I never write any reviews but DAMN I MUST defend this game. What are you talking about? Am I playing some other game? It's ten times better than any of God of War games. Better boss fights, better script, better everything. One of the best hack'n'slash games out there. It has really nice graphics too. Don't know why people are whining so much. For me it's not only about texture resolutionI never write any reviews but DAMN I MUST defend this game. What are you talking about? Am I playing some other game? It's ten times better than any of God of War games. Better boss fights, better script, better everything. One of the best hack'n'slash games out there. It has really nice graphics too. Don't know why people are whining so much. For me it's not only about texture resolution but also about the overall design and presentation. It's not perfect of course but it absolutely deserves 8. Expand
  4. Aug 30, 2013
    Castlevania...lots of memories with 2D game..never though its gonna be
    awesom in TPS..i never care about this game on consols or even its coming for PC
    ..but here we goes..tried it and loved it..graphics on PC r good..not best but sooo much better then consols..so much..i play it with sweetfx tool to maximize the graphics ..game is great dont listen to haters ..most of them Darksiders
    Castlevania...lots of memories with 2D game..never though its gonna be
    dont listen to haters ..most of them Darksiders and GOW fans..ppl says this game copy paste
    darksiders...i say darksiders most boaring game ever..Castlevania is fantastic world and gameplay
    just buy it and play it then injoy it as i did
  5. Sep 1, 2013
    Amazing port of one of the most underrated games. Most people think it's just a God of War clone, and for the first 2 chapters, it is. But once you get past the first 2 chapters, this game really opens up and becomes amazing.

Truly amazing set pieces and vistas are within this game, along with some amazing music and a wicked story that doesn't shy from taboo subjects. Perhaps the

Perhaps the best thing about the PC version is the game runs at 60fps as opposed to the 15fps (or that it seemed like) on the 360 version.

I play this with a 360 gamepad hooked up to my PC (as I do with most of my PC games) so I hear mouse/keyboard support is pretty rough, but honestly, that's none of my concern.
  6. Aug 31, 2013
    I love this game so far. I'll update this, following finishing it.

In response to pcgamer 83's review: the graphics are completely fine. The textures are of a high resolution (far higher than they could be on a current-gen console). With regards to the controls: I use a gamepad (either an Xbox gamepad or one from logitech). If you are any sort of "serious" pc gamer, you'll have a
    I love this game so far. I'll update this, following finishing it.

With regards to the controls: I use a gamepad (either an Xbox gamepad or one from logitech). If you are any sort of "serious" pc gamer, you'll have a spare gamepad (I know that it's a pain, but some games simply play a lot better). The controls are *excellent* with a gamepad. They are perfectly fine (but require some memorization), if you use a keyboard.

Regarding the game being "the worst port" he's ever seen: Give me a break. The game hasn't crashed *once*, for me. It supports 3D vision (which shows dedication on the part of the developer). It runs at a *contstant* 60 fps (really 120 fps) on my machine--this shows optimization was a priority.

It is *sometimes* annoying that the camera is fixed, but the positioning is thoughtful (and, frankly, this is an extremely minor issue for me).

The game has deep gameplay, a thoughtful and mature storyline, good pacing, excellent visuals (they really are *exceptional* for a PC port, and they are *fantastic* if one considers that the game was originally released 3 years ago on consoles).

To determine if you'll love the game (as I do): briefly view the game on youtube and play the demo. If you think you'll like it, you'll probably love it. I am new to the Castlevania series, I'll be considering the sequel, as a result of playing this game.
  7. Aug 29, 2013
    This game is not a remake if you thought so. This is a port, an Ultimate Edition. The one thing it lacks is a AA option, but you can use Catalyst or Nvidia control panel for this. With Edge detect x24EQ SSAA this game looks good and plays as good. How ppl can give this a 0-3 is a riddle for me. I am hardly half way in and cant wait to play the rest. Lets hope that other games like The lastThis game is not a remake if you thought so. This is a port, an Ultimate Edition. The one thing it lacks is a AA option, but you can use Catalyst or Nvidia control panel for this. With Edge detect x24EQ SSAA this game looks good and plays as good. How ppl can give this a 0-3 is a riddle for me. I am hardly half way in and cant wait to play the rest. Lets hope that other games like The last of us and other big PS3 titles follows suite and gets released to the PC. Expand
  8. Aug 29, 2013
    The best game of this game serie, i can say its one of my favorites adventure games i ever play, the history the gameplay, its its great, i feel this when i play it God of War, Prince of Persia its awesome.
  9. Sep 1, 2013
    Excellent game. The Best game on the PC in this year.You will have some difficulties with management, but for the rest game is excellent.Good games and good port on the personal computer
  10. Aug 29, 2013
    Great game. I don't mind graphics which are decent by the way. And in my opinion gameplay is the most important. Default keyboard bindings are silly but as a self respecting long time PC gamer I can rebind them as this already has happened in a few games in the past. I'm also fine with the fixed camera. It actually gives more tactical control during fights but for some people it might beGreat game. I don't mind graphics which are decent by the way. And in my opinion gameplay is the most important. Default keyboard bindings are silly but as a self respecting long time PC gamer I can rebind them as this already has happened in a few games in the past. I'm also fine with the fixed camera. It actually gives more tactical control during fights but for some people it might be problematic. I loved similar solution in Legacy of Kain. Overall it's a very exciting and well done game. Might not by revolutionary but I love it. Expand
  11. Aug 31, 2013
    One of the best hack and slash game a have ever play. Five days ago a played last DMC and it was terrible. However Castlevania is perfect game and PC port is really good. Graphic is amazing and fight system is much better then DMC or GoW fight systems. Best part of game is story. This game is master piece.
  12. Aug 31, 2013
    This game is just great, a needed addition to pc, now with hi res graphics at 2560x1600 everything looks amazing. I Bought this game some time ago for the Xbox 360 and even though I was enjoying it, i couldn't Stand the jaggies and low res graphics, it's a great game if you like hack and slash games, action and adventure,just great and not often do you see this type of games on pc, moreThis game is just great, a needed addition to pc, now with hi res graphics at 2560x1600 everything looks amazing. I Bought this game some time ago for the Xbox 360 and even though I was enjoying it, i couldn't Stand the jaggies and low res graphics, it's a great game if you like hack and slash games, action and adventure,just great and not often do you see this type of games on pc, more ports like these please! Expand
  13. Aug 29, 2013
    This game is great! I had this for the XBOX 360 and the graphics on the PC version are obviously so much better. This game is worth your time and money.
  14. Aug 28, 2013
    What an amazing game. I'm really glad that the developers did such a great job finding Climax to port this over to the PC audience. The framerate is light years beyond any console can deliver and I'm truly loving this story about redemption and damnation. The voice acting is great and the entire look and feel of the world is familiar yet unique in it's own right.

My only gripe about

My only gripe about this game? I wish the deadzone between running and walking was greater. There are times I want to bathe in the atmosphere of this world by simply walking through it, but the original developers never added that to the mix. I hope to find a mod solution for this in the future because running through some of these environments is a crime.

Keep releasing top quality ports like this one and I'm sure to invest in Lords Of Shadow 2 on PC as my day 1 purchase choice.

...Climax on Metal Gear porting and we'll be friends forever
  15. Aug 27, 2013
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (in my opinion) is one of the best games released in the past ten years. Some may criticize, that it isn't an oldschool Castlevania. Well, it isnt. But it simply is not intended as a classical Castlevania. It is meant as a kind of reboot: A whole new game with a whole new story. That is exactly, what ist so great in this game: Fantastic storytelling, aCastlevania: Lords of Shadow (in my opinion) is one of the best games released in the past ten years. Some may criticize, that it isn't an oldschool Castlevania. Well, it isnt. But it simply is not intended as a classical Castlevania. It is meant as a kind of reboot: A whole new game with a whole new story. That is exactly, what ist so great in this game: Fantastic storytelling, a overwhelming soundtrack, great environment- and monsterdesign. If you want to experience a 20-hour-long well-told story and to immerse into a great fantasy-world, then this game is exactly the right one for you! Expand
  16. Aug 27, 2013
    I played this game when it first came out on consoles. And after many years, this still is a great and fun action-adventure game. It ain't a copycat of "God Of War" nor an old school Castlevania, but a game full of action and magic with a deep combat system that plays perfectly on a keyboard-and-mouse.
    The story of the game is on a whole new level, with great voice acting, charismatic characters and a quest worthy of Van Helsing.
    A must buy, especially since it's very cheap!
  17. Aug 27, 2013
    Light years beyond the console versions in performance and graphics. Perhaps the most polished console-to-PC title ever. No issues whatsoever and runs smooth as silk. Konami PC development team really did a fantastic job with this.

running at 2560x1600 with all settings and AA maxed. Truly looks more like a nextgen game on PC... flat out beautiful. Even the controls feel more fluid

running at 2560x1600 with all settings and AA maxed.

Truly looks more like a nextgen game on PC... flat out beautiful. Even the controls feel more fluid and responsive. Guess this game really shows PC is the way it's meant to be played all along.

The game is just phenomenal, story, characters, gameplay action. Apparently Konami has never heard of DLC.... just the standalone game by itself is very lengthy, and just keeps getting better as it plays out. Likely the best Castlevania game in the series.

Can't beat it for $30... especially when they pretty much gave $200 worth of game in this package.
  18. Sep 4, 2013
    I don't really know why are all those users talking about this game being bad, it´s the best 3D Castlevania until now.
    + The story is solid and leave you asking for more.
    + Xbox 360 gamepad works OK + Graphics are better than Xbox360 + The game runs smooth, ZERO LAG and i'm using just an nVidia GTX460 1GB. - It really could have better graphics, cause for PC standards are lame.
    + The story is solid and leave you asking for more.
    + Xbox 360 gamepad works OK
    + Graphics are better than Xbox360
    + The game runs smooth, ZERO LAG and i'm using just an nVidia GTX460 1GB.

- It really could have better graphics, cause for PC standards are lame.

In conclusion it's a must have, although it have a downside on graphic side, overall performance is good so don't cry over spilled milk and play it to the end.

I really hope it doesn't get the same bad rep given to Lament of Innocence on PS2, if you want a good game with solid Combo system, don't miss it.

If you just understand the game's mechanic, then you need a smash button game, try Dinasty Warrior.
  19. Sep 8, 2013
    What people need to understand about this game is that its a port of a two years old game which means a lot of technical peculiarities from the original platforms had to be retained in the PC version. You can't simply add a free camera to a title which was originally designed on consoles. Porting a game doesn't mean writing the game from scratch just adjusting it for the target platformWhat people need to understand about this game is that its a port of a two years old game which means a lot of technical peculiarities from the original platforms had to be retained in the PC version. You can't simply add a free camera to a title which was originally designed on consoles. Porting a game doesn't mean writing the game from scratch just adjusting it for the target platform (adding better textures, small fixes etc.)

As far as the game is concerned I have to say that in my opinion this is one of the best and most polished console ports I've seen. The graphics are really well redone in order to provide better and sharper textures which will at some points leave room for doubts that this game is a console port. Cinematics are directly reused but that's a) understandable for a console port and b) really not a big problem since the 720p quality doesn't degrade too much on 1080p displays. Sound design and music are hard to explain in this game. You have to hear the sheer epicness of some of the themes to believe it.

One thing that really shines with this title are the puzzles. They might not be everybody's favorite but solving them in my opinion provides a bit of diversity compared to simply bashing the enemies all over again. Also some of the boos fighting mechanics are very well done the last boss was really well done. Game's lengths is also commendable at least 20+ hours of playtime for an average player.
  20. Sep 7, 2013
    Is the game unoriginal? Yes, it definitely borrows from other great games (God of War, Shadow of the Colossus). Is it like any other Castlevania? Absolutely not. So why am I giving this game a 9? Because it is absolutely fun to play. The soundtrack is one of the best ones you will hear for the video game industry, and it really immerses you into the story that unfolds before you eyes. SirIs the game unoriginal? Yes, it definitely borrows from other great games (God of War, Shadow of the Colossus). Is it like any other Castlevania? Absolutely not. So why am I giving this game a 9? Because it is absolutely fun to play. The soundtrack is one of the best ones you will hear for the video game industry, and it really immerses you into the story that unfolds before you eyes. Sir Patrick Stewart is your narrator as you guide your hero through many levels. The game is linear, but the areas look gorgeous on the master race pc.

One thing I recommend to truly enjoy this game is to use a controller as the combos will probably give you arthritis by the end of this 20 hour journey. I loved it and can't wait for the 2nd one. Again, the soundtrack and environments are a must listen/see.
  21. Sep 5, 2013
    A really good game. I like the combos and the game is so fun with a gamepad. Graphics are good not amazing. But from the beginning, the game bound me to it.
  22. Oct 23, 2013
    So happy I decided to get this game. Castlevania LOSUE was awesome! Rich storyline that had me on my seat through the whole game. I wasn't sure what to expect at first since this is the first Castlevania game that I;ve played, It felt like DMC with a medieval twist, but to be honest I was much happier with this game. Pro's Great storyline, LOTS AND LOTS of boss fights, good graphics goodSo happy I decided to get this game. Castlevania LOSUE was awesome! Rich storyline that had me on my seat through the whole game. I wasn't sure what to expect at first since this is the first Castlevania game that I;ve played, It felt like DMC with a medieval twist, but to be honest I was much happier with this game. Pro's Great storyline, LOTS AND LOTS of boss fights, good graphics good puzzles, cons not all the time but sometimes the camera would get VERY frustrating i managed to deal with it...... combos and unlocks are hard to use and remember steep learning curve. Overall I enjoyed the game, the story had me on the edge of my seat wanting more. took me around 40 hours to finish including the DLC. Expand
  23. Sep 24, 2013
    this game is a 3 years old port from the consoles
    the graphics arent crisis 3 so dont expect that
    the dlc made the game even better. the endboss is extremely challenging and the story is just pure awesomenes it took me 22 hours for my first playtrough, after that you unlock the hardest difficulty and you can start again with all your powers and find even more upgrates and secrets
    this game is a 3 years old port from the consoles
    the graphics arent crisis 3 so dont expect that
    !!!beware this game needs a controller. else its unplayable
    and if you downvote this game only because you are a casual who play only facebook games and doesnt own a controller which costs 20$) then gtfo
  24. Sep 15, 2013
    Great game. Awesome story, visuals, gameplay, and ending. Needless to say, these type of games must not be played on keyboard, but on joystick. So don't get frustrated when you are trying to play it on keyboard. Anyway, this game is a must play.
  25. Sep 29, 2013
    The first 1/3 of the game is throw-away, but the last two-thirds comprise some of the best visual design and gameplay in video game history. Stick with it, it gets better as soon as you hit the Vampire Castle.
  26. Sep 16, 2013
    Great game.I don't get someone who is saying that the graphics are bad.Well maybe it's not here technicaly but this games probably has one of the most detailed enviroments ends thats probably what kept me playing the game.The only flaw for this game are his keyboard controls which leaves the music box as box of frustation in my memory
  27. Dec 23, 2013
    This game was great on consoles, and being able to play it in true HD at 60 frames is worth the purchase. I picked it up on steam sale after having already played it and I still enjoy it. The artwork is amazing. The geometry in this game is top notch and you get lost in the ambiance of the levels. The combat is competent and fun. It's a basic combo game. The storyline is good if you areThis game was great on consoles, and being able to play it in true HD at 60 frames is worth the purchase. I picked it up on steam sale after having already played it and I still enjoy it. The artwork is amazing. The geometry in this game is top notch and you get lost in the ambiance of the levels. The combat is competent and fun. It's a basic combo game. The storyline is good if you are patient and thoughtful. The end is very much worth it and I cannot wait for the second game. Expand
  28. Jan 1, 2014
    Lords of Shadow is a great game. If I were to rate it, it would get between 8.5 and 9 out of 10. I'm making this review 10/10 because of the lack of justified reviews for 0 and idiots saying the game looks outdated/pixelated/whatever junk comes out their mouth. Is the game 100% unplayable? No. Minimum I'd expect would be 5/10 because people's tastes of games vary. Anything lower is justLords of Shadow is a great game. If I were to rate it, it would get between 8.5 and 9 out of 10. I'm making this review 10/10 because of the lack of justified reviews for 0 and idiots saying the game looks outdated/pixelated/whatever junk comes out their mouth. Is the game 100% unplayable? No. Minimum I'd expect would be 5/10 because people's tastes of games vary. Anything lower is just garbage coming from another PC fanboy who doesn't know anything about computers, wishes he knows about computers, and blames consoles for everything negative in his substandard life.

This is a port to PC but is it bad? No. The majority of these negative reviews don't even mention real issues. If the story ties well with the second game that is about to be released, then the cross reference could actually make this game extremely good. At the moment, it is at least a 7/10 for story for most players. Graphics.. if it's an issue, then I'd say you need to get some therapy. As for gameplay, it balances out between action, puzzles and platforming so you don't get the feeling of repetitiveness and this is a major plus. Ability upgrades are more situational to how you play and if you don't replay the stages to farm up points, you'll need to spend them wisely. The combat is fairly simple and if you've played God of War, you should feel comfortable to play on hard difficulty of your first run.

A lot of the negative reviews (below 5) came from people who basically pirated the game or basement trolls. Anyone who has remotely played the game would agree that the art was well done and anyone who payed for it would have known that it was meant to be played on a gamepad and would be prepared for compromises when playing on a keyboard and mouse.

All third person slasher games suffer from keyboard and mouse and it gets tedious because you can't move the character freely with kb/m but that also applies to every other game. The only advantages the kb/m have over a gamepad are more keys and precision for point and click games MMORPG, RTS and shooting games. Gameplay that is focused on direction and positioning will always be better on the gamepad/joystick. Try playing the following game types on keyboard and mouse: aerial combat, car racing games, sports games, any hack&slash games, 3D platformers it will be at a massive disadvantage without the joystick.

To the people complaining about low resolution textures and outdated graphics, I don't know if I should feel bad for you. You want good graphics? Go on hiking trip at some tropical island, realism right there in your face. Real water, real trees, real rocks, real sunlight affects, real sand, and real sounds of nature. After your trip, you'll see that games even at this stage are nowhere near realistic and stop making bs excuses comparing this game with other games. Tomb Raider, Crysis 3 and BF4 look nowhere near "real" and these are 2013 titles.
  29. Nov 25, 2013
    My opinion is that this game is freaking awesome, it has a great story runs on weaker computers and is a pleasure to play. One of my favorite games and i have played a lot but this is the only game i couldn't stop playing well only to eat, yeah 22 hours of non stop gaming (22 hours main story) this game is worth your attention and for graphics they are good not as good as some of the gamesMy opinion is that this game is freaking awesome, it has a great story runs on weaker computers and is a pleasure to play. One of my favorite games and i have played a lot but this is the only game i couldn't stop playing well only to eat, yeah 22 hours of non stop gaming (22 hours main story) this game is worth your attention and for graphics they are good not as good as some of the games that come out these dais but tat is nothing to the whole weight of the game. Simply AWESOME!!! Expand
  30. Nov 22, 2013
    A few minutes ago I finally managed to kill the boss of the last stage and as a long-time castlevania fan (since NES-times) I have to say that I am more than satisfied with the work of Mercury Steam. I can absolutely understand that many people were very unhappy with the resurrection DLC because they had to pay extra bugs for something that is short and really difficult. But hey asA few minutes ago I finally managed to kill the boss of the last stage and as a long-time castlevania fan (since NES-times) I have to say that I am more than satisfied with the work of Mercury Steam. I can absolutely understand that many people were very unhappy with the resurrection DLC because they had to pay extra bugs for something that is short and really difficult. But hey as someone who started gaming in the 80s I love this endboss! Adrenalin is still running through my veins and it really feels like meeting and old friend.
    The fight-system is really well done and the graphics, especially the bosses look really great. The only absolutely negative element that I have to mention is that your character is constantly blocked by invisible walls from the environment, but maybe they improve that part with LOS2?
  31. Mar 7, 2014
    In my first 2 hours of this game, I would have rated it no more than 4 / 10 due to not having any camera control and the fact that it is unplayably laggy using keyboard and mouse. However, once I bought a gamepad, this game truly transformed... not having camera control became a plus as controlling camera seperately using gamepad is truly a chore and gamepad control is sooo incrediblyIn my first 2 hours of this game, I would have rated it no more than 4 / 10 due to not having any camera control and the fact that it is unplayably laggy using keyboard and mouse. However, once I bought a gamepad, this game truly transformed... not having camera control became a plus as controlling camera seperately using gamepad is truly a chore and gamepad control is sooo incredibly smooth and responsive, its amazing. From then on, the music, atmosphere and how the protagonist transform over time into the epic character he is throughout the castlevania series dragged me deeper and deeper into the lore and story of the game. By the end of the game, I just wanted more... more of the story, the emotions, the excitement, the immersion... I wanted so much more of this that I pre-ordered the sequel. If you enjoy an epic, emotional story that leads to a story and lore of epic proportion (and you enjoyed other similar games such as Darksiders), this is a must buy! Expand
  32. Sep 5, 2013
    I'm pretty new to castlevania so i don't really get that "classic castlevania, old school, remake" thing that most here make a fuss about, for me it is pretty neat game with nice graphics, great story, interesting combat system, yes it does become repetitive sometimes but hey, call a game that doesn't have some repetitive parts, it is hard for developers to make it so much unique in allI'm pretty new to castlevania so i don't really get that "classic castlevania, old school, remake" thing that most here make a fuss about, for me it is pretty neat game with nice graphics, great story, interesting combat system, yes it does become repetitive sometimes but hey, call a game that doesn't have some repetitive parts, it is hard for developers to make it so much unique in all ways...
    Some give 0 out of 10 just cause there's a crappy texture on a wooden log hidden somewhere in a corner of a map? I mean really, how much more ridiculous can you get? Don't know about the rest but i buy games to actually play them, not enjoy the environment... yes it is nice to have good graphics but complaining about some small details is just stupid. Mad about controlls? Buy a god damn xbox controller, i mean it IS originally a console game... i played many games on PC with xbox controller cause it is really better and more interesting that way.
    Oh well it's impossible to make everyone happy anyway...
  33. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is very good port from the consoles. It runs flawless in my pc, the game feel more dynamic thanks to the 60 fps; the game camera could be an issue for some people but it isn´t for me.
    It have a great gameplay and story, different from the classic games but at the same time it feel like something new that really need the Castlevania series.
  34. Oct 11, 2013
    I was honestly not expecting much from this game, but I'm just absolutely blown away. Lets start with the positives. Graphics aren't the best, but the amount of detail put in the levels and level design really make up for this. The areas are just beautiful. Combat is very action-packed and I like it just fine. Unlockable skills make combat feel fresh every time. Perfect story, with someI was honestly not expecting much from this game, but I'm just absolutely blown away. Lets start with the positives. Graphics aren't the best, but the amount of detail put in the levels and level design really make up for this. The areas are just beautiful. Combat is very action-packed and I like it just fine. Unlockable skills make combat feel fresh every time. Perfect story, with some major plot twists that I really enjoyed. The storytelling is done just wonderfully. The game is very dark (as in dark-fantasy), which I just love.

There isn't much I don't like about this game. I only have two gripes with this game: the controls and the camera. The VERY FIRST THING you MUST do when you launch the game is CHANGE THE KEY-BINDINGS. I can't stress this enough. This game is a console-port, but the controls aren't that bad once you change them to be more PC-friendly. After configuring the key-bindings, the controls aren't an issue (although some puzzles are a bit wacky; one even showed Xbox buttons instead of keyboard buttons!). Second, the camera. This is more of a personal preference, but I do not like the camera very much. It's fine most of the time, but I find it simply odd other times. Third-person, with the ability to look around, would have suited this game much better, but they would have to change the game quite a bit to make this work, so the camera is not much of an issue for me.

I love this game, and I simply cannot wait for Lords of Shadow 2. I haven't played any previous Castlevania titles, but I think that's about to change after playing this.
  35. Nov 10, 2013
    Fantastic game full of adventure. Soundtrack unique and unforgettable! Gorgeous graphics, good gameplay and engrossing story.
    Despite all these advantages the game is more like a prologue of castlevania. It would be a new Van Hellsing (Could be a new franchise?)
    What matters is that this was one of the best games I ever played. Portuguese Fantástico jogo cheio de aventuras. Trilha
    What matters is that this was one of the best games I ever played.

Portuguese
    Fantástico jogo cheio de aventuras. Trilha sonora única e inesquecível! Lindos gráficos, jogabilidade boa e história cativante.
    Apesar de todas essas vantagens o jogo está mais para um prólogo de castlevania. Seria mais um novo Van Hellsing(Poderia ser uma nova franquia?)
    O que importa que esse foi um dos melhores jogos que já joguei.
  36. Fuz
    Jun 18, 2014
    Pretty good game with some flaws.
    Pretty good game with some flaws.
    It's fun to play, the combat can be challenging and rewarding and the controls are responsive and easy to learn (maybe one less key to absorb energy would have been nice) and work pretty well on a PC keyboard. The platforming is kinda boring and just a waste of time, there's no challenge in it, you basically just follow a rail The combat has lots of skills and combos, maybe too many, but you'll end up using always the same moves to be on the safe side; you'll almost never use 90% of the combos and skills, there's no incentive to do it and it's just an useless added danger.
    But the biggest, worst, most unforgivable flaw is the camera. It's bad. It's very bad. It keeps switching angle while you're moving, making you go back or toward places you didn't intend to go to. It keeps enemies out of the screen. A few times it kept the main character out of the screen... during a platform puzzle. It's a terrible, terrible camera and I'm amazed at how it could pass the QA testing.

All in all though, it's a pretty good and fun game.
  37. Oct 9, 2013
    It's been a long, long time since I've seen a game present such tremendous depth, breadth, and beauty. At every turn you're furnished with fresh evidence of just how much care and love and attention to detail the developers poured into the game. It's not a perfect game and it's not an original idea, but it's extremely well executed, gigantic in scope, and still meticulously crafted.

The

The graphics deserve special mention. I switched from the PS3 version to the PC because of the arresting visuals a combination of extraordinary art design and beautiful rendering. Even when, true to the title, the game took its inevitable dark turn, the onscreen result somehow transcended the grim-dark scenery typical of dark fantasy.

I can't recommend it enough. It's the rare game I've completed despite owning most big -A- games and I don't even playing anything in the genre.
  38. Sep 24, 2013
    While it didn't make me feel as much as Lament of Innocence, Lords Of Shadow is a prime example of how reboots can work. For everyone having issues with the faulty camera. IT WAS DELIBERATE.
  39. Nov 11, 2013
    Played this game at xbox 360 in 2010 and now I´m so happy with Pc version.
    I don't know why so many are angry, that was a good port to PC.
    The game is cool, I love the 2D Castlevania, but this one is just different. Is not better or worst. The graphics are ok, is not perfect but some times surprise. No problem with resolution or cut scenes, that is a huge lie! I'm playing in full hd
    Played this game at xbox 360 in 2010 and now I´m so happy with Pc version.
    I don't know why so many are angry, that was a good port to PC.

The graphics are ok, is not perfect but some times surprise. No problem with resolution or cut scenes, that is a huge lie! I'm playing in full hd without problem.
    The story is amazing, i just cant wait for the LoS 2.

And about the camera and "invisible walls" problem. Is the same at video games. What wrong with you guys? Is just the way that game was made. A game deserves 0 just because you don't like fixed camera? So poor Resident Evil 2, don't it?
  40. Aug 13, 2014
    this instalment of Castlevania is one of the greatest games i have ever played. it is challenging, the controls are brilliant, and the story is something else. the best thing about it, in my opinion, are the puzzles that you must complete to get to different areas- something i have noticed bothers many gamers, but what is a good game if there are no proper challenges. the little thingsthis instalment of Castlevania is one of the greatest games i have ever played. it is challenging, the controls are brilliant, and the story is something else. the best thing about it, in my opinion, are the puzzles that you must complete to get to different areas- something i have noticed bothers many gamers, but what is a good game if there are no proper challenges. the little things also impress me: the endless amount of combos, the fact you need to press keys to absorb energy is quite a good feature (so its not too easy to overpower everything), and the main character is quite fantastic. so all in all it is a perfect score from me. Expand
  41. Sep 25, 2013
    Castlevania Is one the greatest game, Nice story, the environment is superb,,, some people says this game is bad.. i think they cannot finish the quest and they can't understand.. that why they put zero score..
  42. Mar 10, 2014
    One of the best of the genre, the game is epic. Epic boss fights, epic music, epic atmosphere. Great game and tough as hell on the highest difficulties. Great pacing overall and a combat system to master.

After 3 years from the original release, the graphx hold up quite well but some of the mechanics could be more user-friendly. This is one of my favourite games of this gen.
  43. Sep 29, 2013
    It runs very fine in solid 60 FPS FullHD, what is more in package you receive 2 additional DLCs which is fine. I played it on X360 few years ago but PC version convinced me to complete Gabriel's story.
  44. Sep 4, 2014
    Gameplay: Surprisingly fun; combat is your usual hack and slash DMC/god of war/bayonetta style with many unlockable upgrades and moves. Involves a lot of dodging and parrying and can at times be a little more punishing than it is challenging, which is my only pet peeve about this game. The second part of the gameplay consists of solving puzzles and 3D platforming.

Graphics: Graphics are

Graphics: Graphics are fine, nothing crazy but pretty enough to bring out the beauty of the environment and to make combat and platforming clear.

Enviroment: The boards in this game are quite beautiful. You can tell the a lot of care has gone into the story and the environments in this game. Ranging from snow capped mountains and frozen lakes to swamp-filled forests and the famous breath-taking Dracula Castle.

Story: Excellent gripping story
  45. Aug 26, 2014
    Lords of Shadow is aesthetically expressive, immersive, has a great narrative, fantastic boss fights, a deep and melancholic atmosphere, differentiate and inspired sceneries, charismatic characters and engaging gameplay!
    It is a very interesting take on the Castlevania series, using references from another games like Legacy of Kain, Shadow of the Colossus and God of War but with an unique personality.
    Lords of Shadow is among my favourite games of the most recent years, side by side with Witcher 2, L.A.Noire, Resistance 3, Dark Souls and a few others.
  46. Nov 7, 2013
    This is what Castlevania fans have been waiting for. Castlevania LOS is an action packed adventure with an extremely dark story, a richly detailed world, and a memorable cast of characters and enemies. This is the best thing to happen to the series since Super Castlevania IV.

First I want to talk about the production value of the game. This isn't some last minute game designed to take peoples money because it bears the name of a well established, critically acclaimed series. This game features voice acting from some of Hollywood's best talent. Robert Carlyle, Natascha McElhone and Sir Patrick Stewart all lend their voice too help immerse you in the experience. The games soundtrack was composed using a 120 piece orchestra, which ended up winning numerous awards. The beautiful level design gives players the feeling they are traversing massive landscapes despite the game being very linear. Sometimes you will find yourself standing still and admiring the gorgeous attention to detail in every level.

The gameplay is similar to other action adventure games of the same genre (Dante's Inferno, God of War and Devil May Cry). You will be traversing mountain cliffs, swinging from ancient castles, solving puzzles, collecting upgrades, and of course, slaying countless demons and vampires. The combos in this game are very simple and easy to learn. Some games tend to go overboard with complicated combos but not LOS. They keep the combos simple enough so you don’t have to constantly pause the game and check the menu to remember what the combos are. The gameplay has just the right pacing too. Some games you will find yourself mindlessly slaying hordes of enemies to the point of boredom or exhaustion. The game developers know just when to give you those subtle breaks after short but intense fights.

Like other action games of this type, it features RPG like mechanics. You gain XP from every kill, which you can spend on unlocking certain skills and combos. This simply sense of progression helps add some depth to the game. Also, if you feel like it, you can back track to certain levels to gain life upgrades or magic upgrades in case you missed them the first time through. Almost every level contains some sort of puzzle for you too solve. Most are fairly easy to solve and don't disrupt the pacing of the game. However, there are a couple of puzzles in the game that had me turning to a wiki for help…

Castlevania LOS does have a couple of weaknesses though. The first one I want to address is the camera. You have no control over the camera in this game. It does an OK job for the most part but in certain areas, it can cause you to unintentionally end your quest in a hurry. I understand not giving you full 360 degree control (due to the linear level design) but being able to at least switch the angle would have been nice. My other big issue with this LOS is the amount of quick time events in the game…and there are tons! Some even completely blindside you during boss fights which cause you to start the fight over again if you fail to mash the button on time. The only way you could possibly have a chance to react is through trial and error. It’s a real shame they went this route. My last complaint is more PC specific. I really would have liked too have seen more adjustable graphics options in the PC port. Your given a choice of like 4 or 5 options which only add lighting effects and anti-aliasing. On that note, some of the textures could have been a little reworked. Some textures up close look a little bland.

Very few action games of this genre have this amount of polish and production value. It has that dark and gothic atmosphere that Castlevania fans have been craving. If you have a chance to play this on an Xbox or Playstation, I recommend it. The PC port is not bad but could have been better. All things considered, Lords of Shadow will be a timeless classic for any Castlevania fan.
  47. Feb 24, 2014
    Castlevania:LoS is adifficult game to rate.
    Oldscholl gamer hate it, since this is not Castlevania.
    It's Devil May Cry. Good things first: +Good graphics +Interesting and great story +Many good cutscenes +Takes quite some hours to finish +A lot of skills to use +Riding enemies is a really cool feature +Finishing moves are awesome Now to the bad part: -Very linear -The
    Castlevania:LoS is adifficult game to rate.
    Oldscholl gamer hate it, since this is not Castlevania.
    It's Devil May Cry.

Good things first:
    +Good graphics
    +Interesting and great story
    +Many good cutscenes
    +Takes quite some hours to finish
    +A lot of skills to use
    +Riding enemies is a really cool feature
    +Finishing moves are awesome

Now to the bad part:
    -Very linear
    -The game tries to force you to play each level a dozen times
    -- You get told what the level's challange is AFTER you finish it
    -- You can't access certain items without another item which you get much later in the story
    -- The hidden "heart/magic containers" sometimes are hidden at incredible stupid spots, where even though levels are liniar they seem impossible to find
    -Fights are repetitive. Even though you have a lot of skills you most often will simply attack twice, dodge. Rinse & repeat until you got enough energy for your strongest attack, use it. Rinse and repeat. THis remains the most efficient strategy for the whole game.

Taking everything into account:
    Though I really liked the map design, visuals and story I sometimes found it hard to keep playing since I got frustrated by the game trying to force me to replay former stages.
    Even though everything looks different (great map design) I felt I was playing the same all over.

It's so linear, that you have to treat it like a Telltale game.
    Play it for the story and the great designed stages.
    See it as a book or a movie, not as the action game it is supposed to be.
  48. Nov 10, 2013
    WOW This game is a blast. Seriously I fell in love with this game. The art style is absolutely FANTASTIC. The graphics of this game made me feel like I was watching a lord of the rings movie. BOSS fights are TOP NOTCH and as for story it has that epic feeling of adventure. This game has also a lot of variation in terms of gameplay like puzzles, hack and slash sections, platforming and evenWOW This game is a blast. Seriously I fell in love with this game. The art style is absolutely FANTASTIC. The graphics of this game made me feel like I was watching a lord of the rings movie. BOSS fights are TOP NOTCH and as for story it has that epic feeling of adventure. This game has also a lot of variation in terms of gameplay like puzzles, hack and slash sections, platforming and even in one section you have to play a chess game with a demon girl. The only problems I found about this game are some small bugs, some camera issues (cause camera is fixed and sometimes gets in the way) and there are some levels that are week in relation to other and feel out of place. Also some puzzles are hard to solve due to unresponsive controls because the camera gets in the way and your character is not controlled as it’s supposed to. In conclusion I have to say that this game is one of my favorite 2013 games and I highly recommend it.

PROS: The art style and graphics are top notch, nice story,nice music, boss fights are awesome, lots of content and a lengthy campaign the two expansions (22 hrs total)

CONS: Camera issues, some bugs, fighting can sometimes be repetitive; some levels are week and feel like fillers, Some control issues may frustrate you.

Final score: 8/10
  49. Feb 26, 2014
    I would recommend Castlevania: Lords of Shadow to anyone who enjoys 3rd person type adventure and combat games. As the game looks reasonably good but not amazing it will run on less powerful PC's as opposed to only a high end system.
  50. Jan 3, 2014
    I'm a massive Castlevania fan, having played most of the 3d Castlevanias. This game stands out as one of the better. Though it seems some die hard fans of the "Metroidvania" styled Castlevanias that appeal to the Weeaboos out there who gush over SotN every chance they get disagree. However this game has huge amounts of appeal. The graphics are wonderful aside from a clip or awkward modelI'm a massive Castlevania fan, having played most of the 3d Castlevanias. This game stands out as one of the better. Though it seems some die hard fans of the "Metroidvania" styled Castlevanias that appeal to the Weeaboos out there who gush over SotN every chance they get disagree. However this game has huge amounts of appeal. The graphics are wonderful aside from a clip or awkward model movement from time to time, the story is very basic revenge spree and all that. However it is in the growth of your character not only in game but within the story that keeps you interested in what will happen next. Being a dedicated gamer that I am, I played through on the most difficulty setting right away. The starting to this game can be frustrating and annoying if you play on the hardest difficulty at first. Though after the first section of the game you become a power house making ever fight more smooth as you become attuned to the combat and as the overall strength of Gabriel grows. This leads us up to the ending, without giving away spoilers; is wonderful and is an amazing reboot to the series. This game has rather awkward platforming sections from time to time and the controls are not mirroring other games so if you are use to other games controls you may sometimes drop yourself down a pit. As far as combat goes remembering to parry and block is needed in the first section of the game unless you plan of check pointing half a dozen times. Although the beginning of this game left the dry taste of salt in my mouth, a refreshing beverage of power ups and ability boosts kept me wanting to play. Knowing that right around the corner I could find the next move to that made taking down that tough enemy just that much easier. There is plenty to do in this game once you have completed the main story, each short section is cut into segments of a chapter and can be replayed to find all the secrets and other interesting content. Packed with lore and not only 15-20 hours of gameplay this game keeps you interested deeply if you are a big Castlevania fan. Don't let fan boys of the back tracking flashy Metroid clone games that get puked out onto the portable consoles fool you. This is by far one of the best 3d Castlevanias, each moment in this game feels like such a waste to just rush through even though the feeling of epicness may come off as forced from time to time, I still found myself loving each boss fight. Overall this game is a must have, any platform, ignore the Fan boys that mock 3d Castlevanias. Lords of Shadow is an excellent experience for not only the casual gamers but the hardcore gamers alike. (Other mentions: Great voice acting, original designs, great background, great loading transition, probably the best "pause" menu I've ever had the pleasure to use, perfect uses of the "bloom" lighting, and vampires... real ones.) Expand
  51. Jan 27, 2014
    this game was awesome and also runs smoothly without any issue. It is the first game like god of war i played in pc. now i am excited that what comes 2nd part of castlevania lords of shadow
  52. Mar 11, 2014
    I tried to play previous Castlevania game on the original Xbox and could not even play for 2 hours. This game I played for 5 hours every night for a week, losing much sleep, but having so much fun.

It has a great sense of style and sense of progression. The character Gabriel Belmont really builds up to be a strong fighter. The control is very smooth, each time after you level up and buys new ability, you can develop a new longer combo. The game encourages you to play earlier chapter to discover more collectible and you can relish in defeating earlier enemy with ease and style. By the end of the game, when I acquired the Ultimate Light and Shadow Magic, fighting the last boss was easy on Normal difficulty because magic is unlimited and I have maxed out all the stat.

The game always save your experience point so you don’t feel like you wasted time even if you are dead. This also allows farming for points. You also don’t feel you need to be stingy with using the items because this is not a survivor game. Chapter VI, Part III: Castle Hall, when you finish the rune puzzle and it turns night, the vampires do end after a few waves. If you stand and kill all of the vampires, the last one seems to drop a full load of EVERY item (daggers, holy water, faeries, and crystals. You get about 50 experience points per vampire, and there is a magic fountain there so you can easily use up your item and magic to kill all enemy in just 3 minutes, you can then go to the game menu, “Restart on Last Check Point” and fight them again. You can get as much experience as you want. If you can afford to wait though, go to Chapter VI, Part IV: Refectory, the boss Evil Butcher, there is a 30 second QuickTime prompt event before you kill him, and you get 1,000 points for doing that. You can definitely max on all the skills and relics by doing this.

The visual is amazing, there is hand drawn black and white bestiary and storybook like intro in each chapter, and then when you play the game there is the animated cut scene. There is the QuickTime sequence / prompt event where you have to push the attack button when the circle shrinks down smaller than the indicator circle. This was very confusing for me at first because I am used to smashing button when the prompt comes up. In fact, in the first sequence where I ride the horse to escape the goblins I keep getting knocked down. I also recommend you lose the prompt event sometimes because some of the Gabriel’s death animation is pretty amazing. This is especially true when you fight Carmilla the Vampire Queen’s true form, Dark lord of the Vampires (BOSS), the animation there is really long and you would never find out if you win at the prompt.

The game has the blatant steal from Shadow of Colossus where you have to climb on a Titan and attach each of the spot on its body, and the Titan will attempt to throw you off. It is quite exciting.
    Patrick Stewart of the Star Trek Enterprise / Captain Picard fame is one of the main story character Zobek . He narrates all the intro level descriptions / stories. The first time I heard him I was very impressed by his acting and happy that this game has a big budget to hire good actors.

On the downside, the game does have some repetitive points, and the DLC which continues from the end of the game, it is very difficult and repetitive even on the normal setting. In the DLC you help Laura the vampire daughter with The Forgotten big evil boss that is trapped under the castle. Gabriel chooses actions which leads him to become the man he is in Lords of Darkness 2. You also see the trailer for the 2nd game if you wait after the game credit ends.

If you just want a fun run through, it will take 20 hours, if you go back and get all the crystal and collectibles and challenges, it will take about 40 hours.
  53. Jul 10, 2016
    Good game, full of action, great cinematics, fuid game, magic powers, great story, challenging enemies, great graphics with beautiful backgrounds. its a great and fun game.
  54. Sep 3, 2016
    I think that Castlevania LoS is a very good game worth playing. I was delighted with most of the game's aspects including graphics, audio and story. However, the game has minor problems with locked camera and therefore the gameplay is sometimes uncomfortable and some areas in the game are harder to explore because of this. It should be mentioned that this game should be played with aI think that Castlevania LoS is a very good game worth playing. I was delighted with most of the game's aspects including graphics, audio and story. However, the game has minor problems with locked camera and therefore the gameplay is sometimes uncomfortable and some areas in the game are harder to explore because of this. It should be mentioned that this game should be played with a gamepad controller.

+ Beautiful graphics
    + Interesting story
    + Exciting orchestral soundtrack
    + Good combat mechanics
    + Nice puzzles

- Locked camera
    - Story loses focus on important characters

Nice game in overall.
  55. Aug 25, 2016
    Awesome game, one of the best I've ever played. Very beautiful graphics, great story and gameplay. Lots of different monsters to slay and many different moves and combos to slay them with, which I really like. It plays smooth on my 2011 laptop. Highly recommend it if you played and liked Devil May Cry, any part.
  56. Dec 23, 2016
    Amazing journey. May not have the most impressive start, actually I liked it on second try few months after I abandoned it after first try, but I am glad that I came back. Amazing atmosphere and design, great storyline and characters, tons of content, sometimes challenging. This is more than just a game, its an art. One of those very few games that really got me seriously involved.
  57. Feb 10, 2017
    The graphics is beautiful, the story and setting is interesting, a lot of different characters. Loved it and will definitely play the second part! Definitely recommend it!

1. Sep 19, 2013
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Ultimate Edition covers some traditional action game territory for sure but there are some memorable moments that make it worth a look if combo-based combat and exploration is your thing.
  2. Sep 16, 2013
    Overall, this is a game of acceptable quality, but a little dated in time.
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    The Ultimate Edition of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow breathes new life into the three-year-old game through improved graphics and extra content.