Cave Story Plus PC

8.3

1. Jul 1, 2013
    This game is an homage to the old 8-bit action adventure games I used to play when I was a kid. If you enjoy those old games you may like Cave Story. The game has a few cool innovations for the genre and so far the story is reasonably interesting and charming.

On the downside, as a platformer, it's only passable. The movement and jump mechanics don't feel tight and you tend to slide off edges of platforms technical sections will seriously test your patience. If you're hoping for the precise, predictable feel of games like Metroid or Mega Man, it ain't happening.

For me, play mechanics are king for old school platform games, and with 25 years of time this one should have gotten it perfect. It just holds back what could be a much better game.
  2. Mar 3, 2012
    Cave Story was one of my favorite games of all time. This, however, is an insult. The original Cave Story is free and provided a complete experience. This version adds BARELY anything new to the game, and what it does add is mostly garbage. A graphical overhaul that does absolutely nothing to help the experience and basically attempts to remove the nostalgia factor the original had, asCave Story was one of my favorite games of all time. This, however, is an insult. The original Cave Story is free and provided a complete experience. This version adds BARELY anything new to the game, and what it does add is mostly garbage. A graphical overhaul that does absolutely nothing to help the experience and basically attempts to remove the nostalgia factor the original had, as well as a new soundtrack that nearly made me quit the game immediately. There ARE options to switch back to the old graphics and soundtrack, but at that point you'd be removing almost all of what makes this "Plus". I should also mention that whereas the translation work done in the most popular English translation patch is great, the translation here feels like it was made by a bunch of 6th graders. Not in the sense that it is poorly translated, but the dialogue just seems stale. I would have GLADLY payed for the original. However, since the original is free and has been for years, it really feels greedy to make me pay money for a version with inferior music and uselessly refined graphics. Just go download the freeware version and a translation patch, you'll have the same experience for free. Expand
  3. Jan 1, 2012
    The story is interesting but overall it is a bit overrated. It is very basic and the graphics could be better. Nothing amazing or really unique about it.
  4. Dec 25, 2012
    Cave Story is one of the best indie games I ever played. Then, why only a score of 7? It's simple. The original game is a FREEWARE, and this doesn't add enough contents to recommend it at full price (like new challenges), and the new graphic/sound is not worth the price, since the original was better (and free) . Seriously, the price is too high. But if you find it on a discount, buy it!Cave Story is one of the best indie games I ever played. Then, why only a score of 7? It's simple. The original game is a FREEWARE, and this doesn't add enough contents to recommend it at full price (like new challenges), and the new graphic/sound is not worth the price, since the original was better (and free) . Seriously, the price is too high. But if you find it on a discount, buy it! It's very funny and challenging, and it also has multiple endings and achievements. Highly recommended while on a discount. Expand
  5. Jan 20, 2013
    From the whole game mechanics, this game really reminds me of the SNES era. And it is quite a good game which is fun to play. But because people are writing that CaveStory is THE Indie Game, I was a little disappointed, because not only the classic games like Super Metroid are better - Cave Story also does not add anything to the genre. It is a good game, but nothing new and nothing great.
  6. Dec 26, 2013
    Too Much Hype

I had very high expectations before I started playing the game, because many people have been saying how wonderful it is. However, I was actually a bit disappointed when I finished it. First is the story. I just don't understand what's all the hype about what appears to be a totally typical, predicable even mundane+stereotypical Japanese RPG story. Yeah, at least it
    Too Much Hype

First is the story. I just don't understand what's all the hype about what appears to be a totally typical, predicable even mundane+stereotypical Japanese RPG story. Yeah, at least it isn't unbearable, but I don't see anything extraordinary or of serious literal value about it. An ultimate boss which doesn't really have (nor need, in this genre's logic) consistent/sensible story/explanation to support(even the stories recounted by the boss himself and background information differ fundamentally); an all-too-predictable mainstream ending; and not to mention a little bit of inconsistencies here and there during the progression. Compared to what other indie games such as Bastion/Braid can offer, this story looks totally mainstream, even so typically big-production.

Second is the gameplay. I know Pixel(the developer) probably intentionally wanted it this way, but the incessant nuisance of having to fight over areas which you have long cleared off, again and again, throughout the whole game, is simply annoying. One death, and you have to do 20 minutes of repetitive work totally from the beginning. Not to mention the same happens in a lot of story scenarios where you don't even die nor do anything wrong at all. In the end, after what is easily an hour’s job just on one task, you’ll easily find the experience boring and even unpleasant.

Of course, I’m not here to deny it of aspects it did great on. Such as a quite meticulous attention to details, the general design and music. Those facts are made much more salient by the nature of a one-man-shop operating over 5 years. On this he deserves respect and credit. However, I’m sorry to say only these don’t guarantee a great game. 6/10 is my maximum here.
  7. Jan 15, 2017
    Cave Story has a lot of desirable features as a game but has a few baffling and easily fixed problems with its execution. Graphically, both the original and plus are appealing and the music for both versions is really excellent. The overall world, whilst not hugely developed, is pretty interesting and as settings go it all feels rather nice and fantastic (as in the literal sense of theCave Story has a lot of desirable features as a game but has a few baffling and easily fixed problems with its execution. Graphically, both the original and plus are appealing and the music for both versions is really excellent. The overall world, whilst not hugely developed, is pretty interesting and as settings go it all feels rather nice and fantastic (as in the literal sense of the word fantastic). The characters are pretty good and have appealing designs.

There are a few minor problems to get into before I tackle the game's main problems. The controls are slightly slippery, making some of the more complicated platforming a bit of a hassle, a problem compounded by instant death traps and long climbs which result in falling getting you a lot more work. The dialogue is pretty thin and there really isn't much additional to gain outside of the main linear path of the story. A big personal gripe was the methods of getting the multiple endings, which were often fairly nonsensical and unreasonably difficult.

By far the biggest issue with Cave Story is the level design, which is straight up BAD. The overall layout of the levels seems to have been designed with a fairly linear path in mind, but it often forces backtracking over re-spawning, simple enemies that pose no real original challenge. On top of this, the overall level design is very "flat" (left to right or up and down, not many different paths to take), so unlike games like Metroid that force backtracking and manage to stay interesting, Cave Story forces you down pretty boring levels multiple times.

Save points are not adequately distributed throughout levels or between key boss battles. This makes the game more frustrating and is more likely to grate your nerves than test your skills. This gets especially bad near the end of the game and for some of the different endings.

Whilst I have many big problems with Cave Story, I think it is still a worthwhile experience, just with some big flaws. The overall designs of the characters and world is very nice and the presentation is tidy and appealing, and a lot of the gameplay is pretty fun. However, the game suffers from huge amounts of tedium due to its level design which conflicts with the actual gameplay. It's easy to tell this was a one man job in that sense, but otherwise it's pretty neatly handled. If you can stomach the boring level design, this has a lot to offer, but that is a serious negative for this game overall.

1. Feb 29, 2012
    An indie classic on par with Braid or Limbo. [March 2012, p.50]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 27, 2012
    Retro fun at its best – catching story, long life span, absorbing playability and beautiful visuals. The only disadvantage is the old freeware version which is almost as good as this improved one. [Jan 2012]
  3. Feb 8, 2012
    Cave Story+ is quite an engaging, an entertaining, even nostalgic experience if you are inclined to be swept over by a wave of nostalgia. An ideal game for everyone, who is longing for classical times of video games, and who is not ashamed of it.