Cherry Tree High Comedy Club PC

• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Nov 8, 2012
6.7

1. Nov 10, 2012
    I buy pretty much any game with anime graphics so naturally a Japanese sim game is right up my street. Firstly, the game is very short. It took me 3 hours for my first playthrough. Admittedly, though, there are 6 characters to 'complete' by the end of the game and I only managed 3, and hadn't even met one of the characters, so I imagine there's some replayability there (though I'm notI buy pretty much any game with anime graphics so naturally a Japanese sim game is right up my street. Firstly, the game is very short. It took me 3 hours for my first playthrough. Admittedly, though, there are 6 characters to 'complete' by the end of the game and I only managed 3, and hadn't even met one of the characters, so I imagine there's some replayability there (though I'm not really willing to sit through tonnes of cutscenes I've already seen just to unlock a few pieces of content that I missed the first time). My biggest issue with this game is that many mechanics are used poorly. You can work to earn money but there isn't really all that much need to buy anything as you can generally just use a free version of it (though probably less effective/more random). There's also a fatigue system in place but it never really seemed to affect my gameplay. Overall, it's an okay game. It's biggest selling point is that proper Japanese sim games with good translations like this are fairly rare so it has some novelty. There's a nice 'social' aspect and you find out about the personalities and backstories of 7 relatively interesting characters (including the one you play). The gameplay isn't that amazing as you essentially just build up some skills and spam talk to people until you max out their friendship. It's cheap, but probably not cheap enough to buy unless you're really into this sort of thing. Expand
  2. Sep 28, 2013
    The goal of CTHCC is to befriend the game's characters well enough to join the school club. If you've played Persona 4, the gameplay of CTHCC tries very hard to be the town segments of that game. You train certain skills to relate to people better, then talk to them as much as possible in order to become friends with them, see their stories, and finally convice them to join. Oddly, youThe goal of CTHCC is to befriend the game's characters well enough to join the school club. If you've played Persona 4, the gameplay of CTHCC tries very hard to be the town segments of that game. You train certain skills to relate to people better, then talk to them as much as possible in order to become friends with them, see their stories, and finally convice them to join. Oddly, you never actually perform any comedy in the game, because it ends on the club registration deadline.

CTHCC is definitely not anywhere near Persona 4, but most games aren't. Unfortunately, this game has the weaknesses of P4's town gameplay as well. It's very repetitive. The music would be decent for this game if it wasn't repeated over and pver ad nauseum. But, this game's strength is the character-driven story. While the characters are not near the level of P4, they were better than I expected them to be, though I wish they had more chit-chat dialogue.

This game has some display issues. Alt+Enter is the only way to make it fullscreen, and even then it doesn't work well. The art is decent otherwise, for being 2D still images. CTHCC controls well enough.

CTHCC is an okay way to kill an hour or two, but I was getting bored by the end of my three hour playthrough. I wouldn't pay much for it, though. Wait for a 75% off sale if this sounds interesting to you. If not, you're not missing too much by choosing to skip this game.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Jul 24, 2012
    It may be short, but Cherry Tree High Comedy Club is a nice change of pace from other games and offers something unique.