7.9

1. Oct 16, 2012
    Buy this game! The combat is better than any other melee game I've played. its hard to believe this is from an indie studio. If you like fast paced, smart, melee combat, this game is for you.
  2. Oct 16, 2012
    This game is made of 100% pure epicness, it really does the job of getting you into a medieval battle. Combat is fluid and complex, graphics top notch for being indie, great active community oh and did I mention most of their dlc and expansions will be free?
  3. Oct 16, 2012
    This game is simply awesome. The combat system is great and the battles are intense! I definitely recommend picking this game up. The $24.99 price is a steal.. I would have had no problem paying $50 for this game.
  4. Oct 16, 2012
    Fantastic sounds, visuals, level design and gameplay come together to make a very special game. It is very immersive, and the battles are intense and violent. There is alot of skill involved In the combat system-- slashes, overheads and stabs can be freely controlled by the mouse to try to get around oppenents blocks, likewise, you must aim your block free form against the angle of the incoming attack.

It is addictively fun and their are several gamemodes to enjoy- Team Objective, King of the HIll, Last Team Standing, Free for all and team deathmatch. My favorite is team objective, where team work is necessary to complete objectives to open next objectives and parts of the map on the way to total victory.

I find myself laughing hysterically at the medieval mishaps that can happen. Play with a friend to double the laughter! Highly recommended. This game is one of a kind.
  5. Oct 29, 2012
    Right, so I don't know why people compare this game to Mount and Blade so much; apart from taking place in a realistic (no magic) medieval setting, the two games are worlds apart. To make it short, this is game is basically Counter Strike: 1100 AD. What's nice, though, is that you don't have any players who headshot you before you can blink now, because it's the middle ages and you can't do that! What you do have is a cathartically fun first-person-slasher that is everything its predecessor (Age of Chivalry) was, made better by new voice-acting, better class/equipment organization, and the Unreal engine. There are a couple of bugs here and there, but nothing too drastic. Honestly, I can't give this game anything less than a 10 because I've yet to find a better way to have fun with my computer. Expand
  6. Oct 17, 2012
    One word. Amazing. I never played the beta, and watched a trailer of the game on youtube and took the dive. My god, did I chose the right decision! This game is insanely fun to play, and the completely best part about it - combat is 100% skill based. In a 1v1 situation, the better player will win every time, there is no "rock-paper-scissors" style like there is in WotR. The combat is amazing, parrying/blocking/dodging your opponents attack feels immensely satisfying when you land that killing blow because of it. This is old school server style, no match-making which makes it so you never feel a sense of community or whatnot, if you play on the same server all the time you're going to see familiar faces, and be on friendly terms with players. This only leads to a more exciting experience because you will have grudge-matches against specific players, or find out you play well with another and can join up on the same team. This is what makes a game last a very long time, and I think this game has a very good future ahead. I also wanted to touch base with the tutorial - besides 2-3 misspelled words (that I caught) the way they did the tutorial is really rather fun. I suggest everyone do everything in the tutorial before you join a multiplayer game because there are many tactics that they teach you which are needed to have a good online experience (stopping your attack by hitting q, leading to a 'trick-play' for example). If you're on the ropes about buying this game, I hope I helped you out a little bit. They have also said they are going to release free DLC in the future. Expand
  7. Oct 16, 2012
    This is by far the best FPS (S for slasher LOL) melee game I have ever played. It has great Counter-Strike/COD style multiplayer game modes. I was skeptical to try out a FPS melee game but I have to admit they did it right. Combat is amazing, graphics are great especially for indie, and the sounds of battle in the game really add to it. Highly recommend you do the training before you play a multiplayer game or you will just get stomped. Expand
  8. Oct 23, 2012
    At a glance, I was skeptical of this game, since I didn't know of it during it's development. I decided to splurge and buy a 4 pack on Steam, for me and my friends. The first few games I had I was totally confused with the controls (Even with prior experience with similar games), but after being explained the proper controls the game instantly became one of my favorites. The crashing and bugs are to be expected even after release due to being developed by a small indie developer. These problems are easily changed with a few hot fixes and patches which the team so far have been making quite frequently. As a user of Eyefinity, It requires a little configuration to work, which is actually way easier to setup then most games.

I can't wait to see what is to come from this game with the incoming release of mod tools.
  9. Oct 17, 2012
    It doesn't get any better than this when it comes to close quarters melee on a team scale. There will be some patching required before the game is rock solid, but if you are looking for visceral, immersive combat, this is the place for you. The adrenaline of battle has caused me to regress about 15 years, bouncing up and down with excitement and grunting with my character as each swing tries desperately to separate my opponent's limbs from their body. This has got to be unhealthy. Expand
  10. Oct 17, 2012
    Amazing game really. I'm a big fan of Jedi Academy and any melee game that allows you to win with skill. Basically, this isn't a game where you can get "cheaped" like many.

There are several players already whose skills have passed the threshold to the point where one can barely defeat them. It's entirely skill based. It's also a throw back to the good old days with a SDK, free content
    updates from the developers, and dedicated servers.

@whoohoomasters review, I'm not sure what he means by missing, but this is made by the same team that made Age of Chivalry. UI is kinda flawed, but server drops is his issue, I've never had it, and looking the support section, neither has anyone else.
  11. Oct 21, 2012
    This isn't a realistic recreation of the ACTUAL weight of medieval armor- any more then Call of Duty accurately depicts soldiers wearing 80+ pounds of gear being able to sprint and jump and dive and what not.
    This is a FPS, mainstream quality medieval war game- and it is glorious. Nothing is better then dying, and see your OWN players head- from the viewpoint of his' eyes SPINNING through
    the air, it's great to die in this game! Expand
  12. Oct 17, 2012
    Awesome game! And for the price, Oh well it's a must have!
    Be warned, however. This game has only been out for a couple of days, and as we all know, beta testing doesn't fix anything. The game does have a few bugs to iron out and it does have perhaps some balancing issues, but Torn Banner (the makers) have placed a timeline on a patch to be roughly 2 weeks, so it'll be smooth and even
    better soon enough! Expand
  13. Jan 12, 2013
    Excellent multiplayer slasher, full of sound, fury and blood. More object maps has epic gameplay and i don't know why it has not got 100 so everyone should give it 10/10 :)
  14. Jan 13, 2013
    This game is a breath of fresh air. Its obviously not a triple-A title and you can tell due to the clunky UI and sub-par sound. This is however an amazing indie game with incredible depth. You can spend hundreds of hours learning the combat in the game. One of the best games I have played recently.
  15. Jan 9, 2013
    Great looking, and a ridiculously fun game, ruined by the masses of bugs that make it very hard to play the game at all. I'll amend this review when the game is fixed. ** Bugs have now been mostly fix (not completely, but well enough), making this purely a very fun game which I reccomend highly!
  16. Oct 20, 2012
    Wow, epic game. The combat is really fun. It's all around you, trench warfare style, but medieval. The modes are fun. Last man standing is two teams fight until the death of the other team until each team wins seven rounds. Doesn't take long. You have free for all, which is obvious. There's a few others too that I haven't played yet. But my favorite so far, is the objective mode. Push a cart of diseased bodies (think like payload on TF2), or get past the defenders and destroy the catapults, or light fires to things, or break into a boarded up home and kill the heirs to the throne, or at the end of one of them you have to kill or protect the king, which is made of one of the players. There's more I think, but you get the gist. The objective modes aren't just one thing. You have 3 or 4 areas or objectives to do one by one. So while there is currently only 6 maps it's still like 18-24 areas to battle in. There's supposed to be free maps coming, as it is, there's a good amount of variety already, as I said 18-24 areas each one with an objective. The maps are very well done. With lots of different medieval style buildings and wooden outposts, and the terrain isn't flat. One map has a wooden log you have to get across as one of the ways to get to the objective, and below is a river you die if you fall in. The game looks pretty dang good too. Not BF3 quality, but very good nonetheless. This game is just downright fun. Even when you get teamkilled, it isn't that bad. It happens. Everyone is swinging swords and maces around, it'll happen. Don't get mad, just slouch it off. It doesn't happen too often. 1-2 times a match usually. But you can kill 20-30 people in a match, I've seen higher. Even in my short time, just got the game about 5 hours ago, I've already racked up 26 kills in a match. There's four classes. Man of Arms, Vanguard, Knight, and Archer. Each class has 3 different slots for weapons (or you can use one of them for a shield or throwing knife/axe/smoke bomb). There's multiple weapons per slot. So you can use a great big axe or like a big claymore/greatsword for one of the slots. I think it comes with 3 weapons per slot from the get go with a few more able to be unlocked. But yeah there's quite a few weapons available. Controls. While most people will play KB+M, I will tell you that you can at least hybrid it. You can Gamepad+Mouse it, at least with the 360 controller. You probably could play just with the 360 controller, but I haven't tried that, so can't corroborate that. As is you can rebind the keys and the 360 controller is recognized (even as a 360 controller). But yeah you are probably going to want to use the mouse for the aim, as precision is key for blocking.

Timing is important while playing, and you can fake your strike. Some classes can charge, and of course Archers can rain down hell from a distance. But there are limitations to them in the sense you have to reload the crossbow, and can only hold the arrow for so long, run out of arrows for a time period, etc. Game seems pretty balanced. Might need a tweak or two, but I see everybody killing everybody and various classes being better against others and vice versa. That's how it is. People with longer weapons have a reach advantage, people with faster weapons can strike faster, archers can get creamed when up close with the big boys. But that doesn't mean they can't do damage themselves in melee. You can even kick people in the chest which is pretty cool. Health regenerates (no health pickups or team spawn or picking your teammate up), but the health regenerates slowly so it's done right imo. One really cool thing about the game is if you spawn and your team gets an objective, rather than have to run all the way, you can hit a button an respawn at the beginning of the next section's spawn point. Also it's TELLS and ALERTS you this happened. Great addition there. The combat is rewarding. You can cut off heads. But it doesn't stop there. You can cut off arms too! Hell one time I took out a dude's leg, he was dazed, I took off his arm and head in the next shot. Yes, that feels really rewarding. It's also not just the greatswords that take off heads, while I haven't played every weapons, multiple classes and weapons can do it. A mace will easily take off a head, and it's totally possible to kill multiple people at once, even multiple heads at once! Get this game. Go slaughter some filthy villagers! Raze the fields! Kill the King and his heirs! While it isn't perfect, it's very close to being perfect. The genre doesn't have much competition or history. Basically Warband and the recently release War of the Roses (funny huh...unique genre and yet a competing product comes out and almost the same time). Don't worry though, TONS of people are playing this game. Easily 3000 or more people.

17. Oct 19, 2012
    Amazing game. The combat seems simple but there is so much strategy and depth to the melee system, more so than any other similar medieval slasher. Unlike war of the roses, the combat doesn't feel floaty and light, each blow feels powerful and heavy. The objective modes are incredibly fun and unique, and there is a strong need for teamwork. Also the decapitations are freaking cool :D Just buy the game already. Expand
  18. Oct 22, 2012
    Unique game and a good time. I waited a couple days before purchasing because I was skeptical. The WotR and MnB people made like the game was awful. I waited until just before totalbiscuit posted his video in which he gives Chivalry a slight advantage to WotR. I am glad that I bought it - it is very fun to even play against the bots for practice. I highly recommend the tutorial and playing against bots 1v1 to make sure you learn the mechanics.

After you get rolling in this game, it is hard to stop. 1v1 with another real player is where this game truly shines.

I am looking forward to more updates for some minor bug fixes, content, and UI improvements.
  19. Oct 29, 2012
    I signed up to Metacritic just so say this -- If you want visceral medieval combat. Get this. Screw Mount and Blade, War of the Roses or whatever the crap is called. This rocks. This is brutal. Great job AOC guys, worth the wait!
  20. Dec 1, 2012
    Notice that all of the bad reviewers on this game are Mount and Blade fan boys. They are butt hurt that their game isn't nearly as fun as this is. This game is SO BAAAAAADDDDDDDAAASSSSSSSSS!!!! It's my favorite game right now. To say that there isn't any skill involved is bollocks. If you know what you are doing you can block and attack with complete control. The vibe is really cool and the Devs got it down just right. Yeah the characters walk with a stick in their rear, but who cares? That just adds to the humorous overtones that is so damn prevalent in this game. You can't help but laugh every time you play this game. The emoticons and saying you can say are hilarious and you guy can yell and scream bloody murder. The sound is amazing, blood gurguls, flesh and blood pouring, man, I get blood lust just thinking about it. The naysayers complain that their isn't any tactics, and that is crap too. In objective mode, the tactics are just as good as any Mount and Blade game. Besides, the game isn't about tactics, it's about chopping off limbs! Don't listen to the whiners, this game is the best thing going right now if you ask me. Good arcade y, action and fun. Expand
  21. Sep 24, 2013
    Seems simple at first, but very deep and skill based. The best simulation of sword fights I've ever seen. Assassin's Creed and similar games with QuickTime style combat should learn from this. The voice acting is hilarious and a lot of over-the-top gore. Absolutely love the game. Also many bugs have been fixed, would be over 80 game in Metacritic if it came out now with current build. Oh, and the people who claim that the combat is random or luck based, know absolutely nothing about the game. Just some newbies. I've played it over 100 hours and I can tell you that you are talking out of your ass. I can easily kill 10 noobs without getting almost no damage. Expand
  22. Oct 19, 2012
    Finally a fun fps style game. It's been a while since I've played a game that was fun like this. This was made by a small group of people so that's probably why it plays so well as compared to big company made games. The blood, and guts are awesome, and I love playing the archer character for a challenge.
  23. Oct 20, 2012
    Epic amazing game. A MUST BUY

LOVE IT

24. Oct 18, 2012
    Chivalry is what War of the Roses could and should have been. As a Veteran Mount & Blade: Warband gamer, I was looking for a fast-paced, skill-based multiplayer experience. I bought into War of the Roses hoping it would be the spiritual successor to Warband, but the melee in WotR is horribly clunky and the "realistic" armor modeling means that certain classes are invincible against others. In other aspects WotR has no realism at all, having an arcade "tackle" mechanic and spawning players immediately into battles.

Chivalry fixes all of these problems. Combat is 100% skill-based. Although there's no "directional" attacking and blocking a la Warband and WotR, blocks must be timed perfectly and cannot be held infinitely. The graphics -- with dismemberment! -- and audio are superior for an indie studio, with the right touches of humor thrown in for a multiplayer red vs. blue game that doesn't need to take its lore overly seriously. The minor problems in Chivalry at the moment which keep it from a perfect score, like poor VOIP and no coded team balancing, should be worked out soon according to developers on the forums. Looking forward to playing this game for a very long time.
  25. Oct 17, 2012
    After M&B and WOTR, this game nailed the Melee combat system, the learning curve is very short, it is easy to control you character with all the movement and blocking, and in very few hours you can be decent player in MP, but with all those simple control you can do many things and tricks and the combat will look even better with skilled player, more realistic and as the developers said Hollywood realistic. They just deliver what they promised 100% the weapons variety is just amazing and very balanced, you will enjoy mastering each weapon in the game, the classes are so different from each other yet they are balanced. Graphics, sounds and overall feel of the game is just stunning for such an Indy game, for sure it beats the other competitors in term of these, I am sure that the game will last very long time live with a lot of player and supported community, I hope all the success for the developers for future add-on/ games. I gave the game 9 cause there are still some area of improvement, and I am sure the developers will make most of them very soon. If you you like 1st person MP, medieval combat or melee style in general get this game with no hesitation, for it is price I ensure it will deliver you 100% satisfaction. Expand
  26. Oct 28, 2012
    Surprisingly a great game. I never ever have played first person melee combat game (other than Medieval mode for TF2) and got this one just because I've seen my buddy been playing it and Total Biscuit review. To my surprise, the game was beyond my highest hopes.. It';s totally not an high budget tittle, game interface looks sad at times and game is not supporting 120 FPS. But TO HELL WITH THIS WHINING! Chivalry got load of fun game modes (I liked Objectives much), and, what is most importantly, simply fun to play. If developers keep this game up with (free) content updates then we got a hell of the multilayer game. Expand
  27. Oct 22, 2012
    If you're a fan of the classic game, Rune, you will fall in love with this game. I am one player who, though enjoyed Mount & Blade Warband, was always intimidated by its complexity and difficult controls. This game strikes a fine balance between action and simulation, providing instant gratification (Free for all/DM) and goal oriented missions (Objective, Last Man). The game still has it's fair shair of bugs, crashes, and issues, but aside from these obvious correctable fixes, the game as a whole is a very enjoyable experience with lots of replayability. Expand
  28. Oct 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think this is one of the best game of the year. It is very tactical and team based. At first its very hard but after 20 games you can really good play it.:D Expand
  29. Oct 27, 2012
    I have to disagree with Reality_Check's point of view. First off the animations are very, VERY fluid. Unlike WOTR's choppy animations for attacking and blocking. The gameplay is basically top notch for its genre and its easy to pick up within about a few matches, but its VERY hard to master. Second, i doubt they even tried to compete with warband or WOTR but either way they blew them both out of the water in almost every aspect. Sure there isn't mounted combat and incredible customization but that doesn't even nick the surface of the game's true potential. All-In-All, if you want a great sword clashing, head rolling, arm severing, and the feeling of "Oh my god... did i just do that!?" then this game is by far the game for you. Oh and by the way, its by a indie developer... yea surprising isn't it? Expand
  30. Oct 29, 2012
    This game i almost perfect. I love the gameplay and the styling is awesome. It feels intuitive and fun albeit laggy at times. There seems to be an almost endless skill cap to the melee combat as your are forever able to improve your sword handling skills with techniques such as guard breaking, feinting attacks and dodging. The game is a wondrous medieval simulator that can take some time to get used to but it over an amazing game. Expand
  31. Dec 2, 2012
    I've been looking for one of these type of games for awhile. Tried War of the roses and this blows it out of the water. Absolutely incredible game. Highly recommend 10/10 trying to get all my friends to buy it.
  32. Dec 9, 2012
    One of the most fun online games I have played for a long time. To me this is basically what Guild Wars 2 combat should have been, if that is of any importance to anyone. Deep, skill based combat. Weapons all have a big influence on how a character plays. Needs a few balance tweaks here and there but few games out there at the moment as satisfying as the combat in this.
  33. Nov 5, 2012
    This game RULES! If you like killing things (in video games of course) but have found yourself bored with traditional FPS's and want something quite different, medieval different, look no further than this game. Gameplay is very fast paced, there are plenty of different modes and even different classes as well as different weapons per each class. I find the game is quite balanced overall, while some classes definitely have advantages over others depending on the situation. Solid game if you're in the mood for severing some heads (yes there's gore!), Expand
  34. Oct 23, 2012
    Amazing game, fun in every single way (except archery maybe). Buy it without a doubt, it will give you 50 hours minimum worth of fun multiplayer times.
  35. Oct 27, 2012
    For $25 this is simply amazing. Melee combat is in your face, brutal and bloody. Limbs are hacked off with the swing of your sword, skulls are busted with the force of your hammer. Kills are truly satisfying and there are a ton of weapons to choose from. Its intense, competitive and addicting.
  36. Oct 27, 2012
    You really must get past the initial phase of learning the mechanics to appreciate this game. After you've raged quite a bit and started to get a hang of if you'll see how much in depth the combat really is. There is room to improve though - some may experience performance issues, the game is not optimized very well, and it could use some kind of rpg element to keep your interest. Overall i recommend it very much - excellent and fun indie game. Expand
  37. Oct 28, 2012
    Let me start off my saying I am not even a big fan of FPS games. I bought this game because I enjoy the Medieval period and wanted something a little different than my usual turn-based strategy fair. In a word, WOW!. I won't even say it's good for an indie game, because it's good compared to even the AAA games. I read through all these reviews and the only negative reviews here are from people who clearly haven't had the practce and/or taken the time to understand the combat mechanics fully (learn to play before posting reviews...). I do not recommend games lightly to friends and family, but I highly recommended this one. The combat is both subtle and nuanced, but yet has that easy to learn , but hard to master appeal. The graphics are great, for example if you hit someone in the head with a heavy Maul their head actually explodes, whereas if you hit their left body you may chop off their left arm, complete with bloody spurting to the cadence of their heartbeat and visible severed arteries and bone marrow.

The gameplay itself is tremendous with various pop cap servers which plays a large role in determining the types of fights you are likely to get. High pop servers tend to be Giant bar brawl/street fights like you would see in the movie Braveheart. Lower pop server tend to feature a lot of 1 vs 1's.

My only beef I think would be the archery system, it's pretty lackluster compared to how the melee is done and archers are always messing up your fights fro ma mile away. But, other than that it's pretty flawless.
  38. Oct 29, 2012
    Awesome Game i must say! The combat feel very fluid and goes well by the "easy to learn hard to master" system, unlike certain other Medieval games, the combat here actually feels really rewarding and just contributes to the overall fun, in my opinion if you are a fan of Medieval / LARP / or anyhting that could be even related in anway, this game is a must buy!

(Ofcourse at the time of
    writing this, the game is not very old and as such has soem glitches and bugs, however the DEVs are fast to respond and already brought out a Hotfix and are working on the bugs, the fact that they reposnd fast to such things, is a pure win for me!) Expand
  39. Oct 31, 2012
    Definitely 1 of the best games video games ever , if not the very best one .
    I couldn't believe at first it is indie title made by indie devs with total lack of experience .
    Really good executed - comparable with AAA work .
  40. BMF
    Nov 12, 2012
    Chivalry Medieval Warfare is a excellent Brutal FPS PVP slasher with a focus on close range bloody combat. Every swing and stab feels appropriatly heavy and violent and blocking requires skill and timing rather then just holding a butten. If you enjoy PVP, medieval combat or both you will love this game buy it right now!!
  41. Jan 29, 2013
    A really great game which realistically represents close- and range combat with various historical weapons. Gamemodes include: fighting in an arena, teamdeathmath, free for all death match, pillaging a city in a team, castle siege etc. and all of this in multiplayer! A must have for all fans of the medieval period!
  42. Jan 18, 2013
    Excellent multiplayer fun its all about killing stuff the old fashion way and plenty of fun to be had weather its trolling some one or been trolled its a barrel of laughs on a budget I love this game for fun times its given be but due to darkness i tend to get headaches not fault of the game just me getting old
  43. Jan 17, 2013
    One of the most unique game experiences I've had in a while. Hard to believe this is the work of an indie team! I used to be a non-believer in first person melee combat games. I always thought they were generally messy and random and needed to be in third person, but Chivalry has turned this around for me (despite actually having a 3rd person option anyway)! I just love this game!

Everything from the great combat system to the voice acting (and amusing dialogue) and the environments put you right there in brutal medieval battles. It is even a great game to watch in spectator mode!

The devs seem passionate and caring about their game and it is great to see patches & content updates being released.

Aside from some areas that need polishing and fixing (which I'm sure they will be) it is a pretty damn solid game. I also find it seems to be graphically better (max settings) than most of the videos about.

And just who doesn't love decapitating their enemies?
  44. Jan 7, 2013
    Seriously this game is the one of best FPS on multiplay for several years.
    And the best sword fight fps !
    I strongly recommend this game to someone who gets tired of these days FPS like console multi title.
  45. Jan 1, 2013
    Once I started playing it I could hardly stop. Played about 16 hours over 2 days, just kept loading the game back up again. Imagine something with far better combat mechanics than Skyrim, and much faster action and sudden surprises than a COD/BF3 multiplayer match, and you've got this game. If you learn to play the game well you can have amazing things happen like playing a round of elimination deathmatch where you whole team dies off, and it's you versus 7 opponents, and you against all odds still kill them all off yourself to make a victory for your team. Also, if you aim your swing right with a warhammer, you can explode your enemy's head like a watermelon, which is a great way to feel better about yourself if you've been getting riled up about things. :) Expand
  46. Oct 25, 2012
    People need to stop bashing Chivalry when they play War of the Roses and vice versa.
    This game is completely different from War of the Roses as it originated from Mount and Blade: Warband
    and this game came from the hl2 mod Age of Chivalry. Why i prefer Chivalry over Wotr is the intensity of the combat and the simple but addicting unlock system, although the system in Wotr is very nice
    too, it doesn't
    really fit the genre. People complaining about the animations haven't played it enough, sure they could use some updating because they aren't really smooth but they are still very nice. Even though Wotr has more weapons, the weapons in chivalry feel more unique, and i have more of a gotta catch em all feel than in Wotr. Regardless they are both great games but i prefer Chivalry. (Also because it's first person.)

P.S. please fix javelins, they are severely underpowered.
  47. Jan 14, 2013
    What a Great Concept for a videogame, This game is soooo much fun, its like CSS in the Medieval ages, Defenitly worth all of your moneys, Their is so much replay value in this game, ITS JUST SO MUCH **** FUn
  48. Oct 29, 2012
    many people slag this off because in their opinion it's not a mount and blade sequel, which is true, that game is war of the roses, this one's more action oriented and reminds me more of jedi knight: jedi academy game play wise, which is the best compliment i can think of. i've been waiting so long for a sequel to jk 3, and this game delivers similar game play experience. the melee fights are a great deal of fun, fast and responsive, every class has a significantly different play style, abundant and excellent game modes (especially team objective). the cons are: a bit outdated graphics (muddy textures, dx9), ranged combat is weak. still, great game for its price Expand
  49. Oct 31, 2012
    Wonderful game ! I tryed it full with scepticism , it soon exceed my expectations by far .
    The best knight combat I have ever seen in a video game .
  50. Oct 31, 2012
    The most epic game this year .
    The melee combat as you never saw it before .
    It is almost like you are there , extremely imersive atmosphere . Recomend it .
  51. Nov 13, 2012
    This is a brutal, unforgiving game with a considerable learning curve. Once you top the curve, however, it is an incredibly entertaining and rewarding game with many hours of potential play time. The defects are minor and the development team seems to be pretty involved in the well being of Chivalry.
  52. Dec 8, 2012
    haha so much fun!! so addictive. get it!! i didnt really like war of the roses because it took itself way to seriously. this on the other has perfected the balance between fun and too silly
  53. Nov 15, 2012
    This game is great, you really get the feeling that you are on an ancient medieval battlefield lopping someones limbs off with your giant axe (or whichever weapon you prefer) there are a few bugs that need to be ironed out but that can be expected with every new game developed by a small company. The combat is great and really gives you a thrill, so if you are looking for a new game to keep you entertained or are a fan of medieval warfare then this is the game for you! Expand
  54. Dec 2, 2012
    A must buy. It's a real time action game. Requiring some skill and training in order to be really good at the game. It has 4 different types of classes: Man At Arms, Knight, Archer and Vanguard. They all have their different skills for each type of class which is really balanced.
  55. Jan 1, 2013
    This game started out extremely frustrating.This game gets better with experience; Rewarding when you get the timing down for attacks while managing your stamina. The combat needs some tweeks but nothing too serious. 10 for me simply because it captures everything I expected in a medieval FPS.!!
  56. Dec 27, 2012
    This is a truly entertaining game. The medieval genre is very empty, but this sets a very high standard for any other medieval game to be made. The combat system is great, because you have to be very precise in aiming, and the battles themselves are good fun. It is also visually good-looking, and the lighting is often rather stunning. Objectives like poisoning the enemy's water supply, or lighting villages on fire, provides a very good replacement to the team deathmatch-style matches (not that it doesn't have these!).
    Having said this, Chivalry feels somewhat incomplete, because it isn't polished. At all. The scoreboard in-battle is designed badly, so items often overlap each other, and the menus don't always work as one would like them to. The subtitles in the training level also get to my head - there is only a certain amount of "fightign", "im" (fighting, I'm) that I can take.
    But these bugs and unpolishedness are easily surpassed by the sheer fun to be had in the game. Chopping people's heads off after sneaking up behind them will NEVER get boring.
  57. Jan 2, 2013
    After reading some reviews I was cautious at buying this game. Yet after getting into a match I found this game was super fun. To me it seems a bit like Skyrim style combat (sword/shield wise) which was VERY cool in my opinion. The blocking is really fun as you have to meet the tip of the enemies weapon with your shield or weapon like it would be in real life, so it takes some skill and at the same time is fun. Killing someone feels very satisfying as you are sometimes placed into situations unfavorable to you, yet come out victorious. Such an event happened where I was up against 2 warriors and 3 archers against just me. I ended up taking out both warriors and an archer before the other 2 killed me. I could have possibly won but didn't all because I didn't have a shield! So if you are good enough, skill does makes the difference! It's possible to take on a small group by yourself if you are smart enough! And that is just the best feeling to pull off stuff like that! The archer class is pretty fun too and gives you a break from melee combat if you've done it for a long time. It takes a bit to get used to but its neat to make a snipe from far away while at the same time saving a friend! Overall I feel it was well worth it, the combat is fun. The classes seem unique for the most part. And from visiting the forums, the developers really seem like they are going to update this game and stick with it. This game has a LOT of promise in my opinion. And if the modding community really wanted to, they could make some amazing things from this. I think this game was 100% worth the money. I don't really see much of the things some people are giving this a bad score for. Either they updated it to fix these issues or its personal opinion. For being a new game I think it has a very nice start. Expand
  58. Jan 3, 2013
    This is wonderful game.Amazing game. Like travel in time machine to the medieval. The combat is better than any other melee game I've played. Must buy.
  59. Jan 10, 2013
    Game is FUN. All 4 Classes are surprisingly well balanced and useful when played properly. Melee Combat is varied and surprisingly deep. You have enough abilities at your disposal to make fights fun, interesting and intense. Few games I have ever played in my life have come close to giving me the satisfaction I get after decapitating someone after an epic duel. At a minimum this game is an 8, but I gave it a 9 because of the low price and on faith that the Devs will come through on their promises of free updates. My biggest complaint right now is the small number of maps available.

If you see a steam sale for this game, buy it. you won't regret it.
  60. Jan 12, 2013
    After putting just over 7 hours into Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, I have a conclusion on my thoughts. To start the graphics are one of the most detailed and in depth ones I have ever seen in any game, never mind an indie game. The sounds on this game are very responsive, it's almost as if you can actually feel the sword hit the player/bot - almost as if you're actually there. The hit detection for me is perfect, it wouldn't matter if someone had their shield up or not, if you swing at their hand the chances are they're going to lose it. However I have only played around 4 hours of the game actually on multiplayer, if you're looking for an easy, relaxing, non stressful game then this isn't for you. However! For those of you which want intense fighting, great visuals and sound, a good fight and an incredibly fun game then you better log onto Steam and buy this game! In conclusion I have given this game a 9/10, I would have given it a 10 but I'm going to be picky and pick out one thing I don't like about the game - BOTS! For me, I love playing against bots which are just as challenging as players sometimes but there is no difficulty setting for these bots and to be honest they are pretty stupid bots. I know it sounds like I'm knit-picking, that's because I am! I've never gave a game 10/10 because I've never played a perfect game but this is as close to perfect as you'll get for this genre of game. Expand
  61. Jan 27, 2013
    Jogo muito bom e consegue revolucionar o fps medieval.
    Acredito que seja o melhor do genero, unico problema sao os lags e bugs.
    Mas vale muito apena jogar ele.
  62. Jan 28, 2013
    Brought this while half-price on Steam which I'd say is right price point for this game. It's not deep but it is very fun, violent and unique. It starts off a little frustrating due to what initially feels like sluggish attack moves, but once you've got to grips with timing then it's all fine. In fact the same delay in attacks what enables you to dodge and block blows effectively making it all work well in balance.
    Overall it's not got big studio production values, but enough polish to accomplish it's goals perfectly well, which include decent net code for finding matches and smooth multiplayer action.
  63. May 31, 2013
    Fun. Hillarious, roaring fun. It's funny that in an industry devoted to fun, it is rare to find a game that makes you laugh out loud, even as your head and various body parts are scattered all over a grassy plain where birds sing blissfully over the carnage. Of course there are glitches and bugs, more than you would expect to find in an AAA title, but this is NOT an AAA title, it's an indie game which has managed to be more enjoyable than many "big names" out there. In multiplayer. Someone mentioned "sub-par" sound in an otherwise very positive review. For me, it's one of the strongest points of the game. The sound of steel clashing with steel or thudding against shield is as epic as the over the top battle cries and taunts are hillarious. And the melee combat, despite the glitches, is still the best I've seen in any medieval themed videogame to date, hands down. Expand
  64. Nov 1, 2012
    This game has just about everything I have ever looked for in a game. It's beautiful, challenging, complex, original, and an absolute thrill to play. This is the first game that has ever evoked a genuine sense of blood lust inside of me, that is how visceral the experience can be. This is my surprise Game of the Year.
  65. Oct 31, 2012
    Medieval Battlefield 3. Nuff said...
  66. Nov 11, 2012
    I've been using this site for years to check to see whether or not I should buy a game, but I have NEVER left a review. This game is damn good that I felt morally obligated to write a positive review on it. It is absolutely fantastic. I haven't had this much fun playing a game in a very long time. It throws you right in for fast paced action, but requires skill in maneuvering and mechanics. Absolutely FANTASTIC game! Expand
  67. Nov 17, 2012
    I had an incredibly fun time playing this game drunk with my buddies. It's pretty simple for beginners, but as you play more you learn tricks and things you can do to be more effective. We loved the battlecries and commands you can shout out. Also the fact that you can kill allies accidentally is pretty cool. Try kicking friendly archers off of cliffs and edges, it's pretty funny. We all nearly sh*t ourselves the first time we decapitated someone. Best Steam purchase I've made in years. Expand
  68. Dec 3, 2012
    Has some technical issues which are not at all surprising considering it's an indie title and half the price of a big box game. I feel that in the end though the price makes this a great buy. The unique combat experience and fun, enveloping maps give this game a big thumbs up from me. It takes some learning to get steady kills in but its worth it. I wasn't sure how I felt about this game until a free for all kill everybody match started. This was the most fun I've had in an online game in a long time. Attacking the rear of a group of knights trying to take down a weakened opponent like a pack of wolves and after damaging the health of one in back the rest turn on him with you and he become the target. Then it comes down to you and the last of the group and the battle rages on. Expand
  69. Dec 27, 2012
    I dove into this game expecting a third person MMO PvP experience and got just that. As long as the dev's come out with what they're promising this game will deserve it's 10/10.
  70. Jan 31, 2013
    Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is by far the best online game i have ever played. I think it even surpasses Call of Duty Black Ops one and two. It has great detail and looks like much time was spent in it's creation. I hope this review help, AdamXN
  71. Feb 1, 2013
    This game is very addicting!!! I played the free weekend on steam and i was amazed! The atmosphere is so bloody and furious! The accuracy of the sound and atmosphere is perfect! If you are looking for a laugh with your mates! This game is perfect! I only scored it a 9 because of the price. I'd wait for it to be on offer. £18 is a bit too much.
  72. Mar 16, 2013
    So much fun with this game. Decapitating enemy's never gets old, the sound is awesome (EX: the death screams), The combat feels connected and meaty, the game modes are nice and varied, especially the team objectives are some much fun. My only gripe is that the game needs a bit of server optimization. You need a low ping for this game and you dont get that always even if you are connecting to servers very near to you. Expand
  73. Nov 21, 2012
    Everything I had hoped it would be and more. The combat is all but perfect. Hit detection is perfect as well as different damages based on areas of the body. You can chop off body parts which is super satisfying. The combat is simple but deep, with only a short time needed to understand but a long time to master. There are kicks, feints, ducking, blocking, different hits, and dodging. There are many different weapons and classes with their own unlockables to find your best playstyle suited for you. There isn't a ton to unlock which is actually liberating; you get to just enjoy the game without playing with a carrot on a stick like COD players. The gore is well done and the graphics are AMAZING. How an indie studio did this (thank you Unreal engine) amazes me. Just goes to show you don't need to make pixelated or low-budget 1990's graphics platformers just because you are an idie studio. Game has been on top 5 or top 10 on steam in sales last 3 weeks for a reason. Only multiplayer but well priced. The levels are intricate and varied. Some are small arenas, others have different levels and are large. Now the cons. The death traps are great ideas but only 1 level has them really and it seems too hard to utilize them. Would like to see that fleshed out and expanded a bit. There are many different game types which is a positive. There are however only a small number levels or so, for a multiplayer only game which can get tiring. What all but erases this is the makers said they are adding new weapons and levels for free because of the game success (gotta love awesome developers that care about their fans/community (Looking at you infinity ward, releasing 2 new maps and 2 old maps and nothing else for almost price of entire chivaly game)) The combat also always works and you feel like you get outplayed if you lose. Unless you get double or triple teamed which is just a casualty of the game but happens a lot. Nothing is more annoying than when you are rocking someone and their teamate kills you from behind. The makers are also adding duels which is awesome. Sometimes the combat is confusing how it works. You will get hit mid swing and it will stop you and the guy can attack 3 times before you attack one. But then you may hit him with a faster weapon and he still hits you afterward with a stronger weapon, which makes no sense. The progress system makes no sense. You have no clue how close you are to the next level or what it takes to level up. Some levels took me hours and others took me 30 minutes. There was a customization feature but there were no other options after default even after i was much higher level. That feature must not be implemented yet. The lack of customization does take fun away. All in all great game and support this developer. This is everything war of the roses should have been but is nowhere close to. 9.5/10 Expand
  74. Nov 24, 2012
    Easy to learn, tough to master. It's addictive like old school Counter Strike was! The objective maps are pretty fun, and there is nothing more satisfying then throwing a javalin through someone's head!
  75. Apr 5, 2013
    This game features a deep, meaningful combat system that is frequently being revised and refined into a real diamond in the rough. Directional swings, reactive combat, calculating opponents, and a high skill ceiling not to be taken lightly. If you are up for a challenge, or just want to hack and slash through hordes of enemy players online, this is the game for you. Expect much from the devs in the future, and go to their forums. They frequently communicate with the community. Expand
  76. Dec 23, 2012
    This is the most intense melee combat you can get. Forget about AK-47, M4A1 carbine and other toys for children ! Get tools for real men like longsword, spear and other nasty deadly weapons and fight for your life. Thumbs up for torn banner keep the good work up.
  77. Feb 11, 2013
    This game is awesome. I've never played anything like this, and I know there is a very small amount of similar games available. Keeping that in mind, Chivalry is clearly a first of its kind. With that said, flaws and simplistic mechanics can be easier understood. On the surface the game is simple, but when you really get into it, those simple mechanics are hard to master. That is the mark of a good multiplayer game these days in my opnion: easy to learn, hard to master. The controls are intuitive, logical, and easy to manage. The unlock system isn't a chore, and is straightforward: each class gets three different primary weapon categories, and in order to unlock the next weapon you simply just KILL! There are some glitches in the game, like getting caught on pieces of wood. The physics could be better and the game sometimes has lag issues. There are only 4 classes: Man-at-arms, Archer, Vanguard and Knight. Each requires a different playstyle from the next. Aside from the glitches and mechanics issues with the engine, my only complaint is the game is TOO simple. It needs more to it, but the combat is great. Archer is hard to master as it should be. Since I am loving this game I'm going to give it a 9, but it's more of a 8.5 or 8. I expect Chivalry to influence similar games in the future. Expand
  78. Jul 21, 2013
    This game is addictive and can make the hours fly by. One minute you'll be cackling evily, the next you'll be slamming your mouse in fury. Fun stuff aside, the game is buggy, and pretty heavy on the system resources considering how it looks. That said, it's an indie title and you expect that going in. All things considered, Chivalry is very solid and addictive title that's definitely worth $6 on a steam sale. Expand
  79. Mar 4, 2013
    Finally a game that lives up to "medieval warfare". From the sounds of bone crushing and blood squirting, this game packs a lot of fun into a little price tag and it will be sure to help launch the next version into even higher regards for PvP fun and action
  80. Nov 27, 2012
    The worst thing about this game would be the buggy tutorial. After that it is pretty much pure fun. Someone with no fps background at all (like me) will find the hard to master bit very true, but anyone who likes the idea of fps style gameplay with swords could not go wrong with this title.
  81. Feb 21, 2013
    This game is an absolute blast. It fills some unexplored area of the FPS genre, made professionally. I don't consider myself that much of a medieval fan, still this game makes me love it. The combat system is incredible you actually feel your weapon. All the little pieces are put together nicely. The visuals, sounds, death screams everything. The only negative i can think is some bugs, and lack of singleplayer campaign. However looking at the size of the dev team, they made an outstanding work. In short, best medieval multiplayer experience. Buy it! Expand
  82. Mar 9, 2013
    For what it's worth and it's amazing unique game play style, this is a gem every person should have in their steam library. The Chivalry gaming community is just awesome too.
  83. Feb 16, 2013
    Such an awesome game. I've been wanting a sort of Skyrim/FPS mix game for awhile, and while there are no dragons, magic, or anything else in Skyrim besides weapons and armor, but this is good enough. There are four distinct classes, each with their own role and special abilities. There are plenty of game modes and even an offline option where you can play against bots. The weapons are pretty much balanced and the hitboxes are good. So many hours of fun I've had with this game.

There are a few quirks here and there which prevents this game from getting a full 10/10. For example, you'll occasionally get stuck on certain items in a map, the new Duel mode they added is really buggy and they added your win/lose ratio (I didn't need to be reminded how badly I sucked), and just a bunch of little things. This game is worth the $25 it costs and you will not regret it.
  84. Feb 4, 2013
    The aim of Chivalry is to kill as many as you can before getting team killed. Combat is realistic, when factoring the weight the weps must have been. There is nothing funner than beating a man to death with bare chainmail fists. There are plenty of servers, with people on them. There's a unique levelling system, and everyone is pretty cool to play with. no matter how new you are youll die just as much as the experienced. Nothing is funner than constantly screaming your battle cry. It's by far the best medieval battle game/sim out there right now, and at a good price. Check it out. Expand
  85. Mar 2, 2013
    Do not listen to the negative reviews, they are either A. Reviewing a game in BETA/ALPHA stage, or B. They totally suck at the game and just rage quitted after playing a round. Problem is people think it's simple, so they complain a lot when they die, instead of seeing the tactic that brought them down.

This game is very immersive, it has some good blood effects and gore. The combat,
    which some lesser people claim to be luck-based, is in fact a very deep system with many tactics. The thing is, if people are too set on games being simple, they will feel it's about luck when they get killed by another better player using special tactics. You can hit people around the shield if they are not careful, and blocking is harder or easier depending on which weapon your enemy uses. The armours in this game also looks quite realistic and good. Other games always have these seriously weird armours with things sticking out everywhere or just armours that look like they weight about as much as a freight train. The ambience is very good, there are way cries and death cries echoing through the battlefield. And also a messenger shouting orders or reports to the presumed commanders further away. Animations aren't that great in some cases, but the swings are generally really good, it feels like there is weight behind them and you can't just randomly swing around, because you'll get tired. There is a good diversity in game modes as well, you can play through the "story" by going team objective, or just FFA or TDM if you would feel like it. There is also a special duel game mode where everyone gathers in one room and duel each other one by one, which is a great way to train duelling. There are also a quite interesting factor in the game, friendly fire, meaning you can accidentally kill teammates. This adds a new level of difficulty to the game, which in my opinion should be added to almost all games, it makes it more punishing to miss and hit your friend. Games like Battlefield and CoD could benefit from this in all of their gamemode, the only downside being that people are too stupid to avoid friendly fire. To counter this in Chivalry, which many people are too stupid to realize, is to simply use trusts and overhead swings whenever friendlies are nearby.

The guys working on this seems like good guys, like almost no other game companies are nowadays, they release new content and patches, and they aren't trying to make extra money by releasing a DLC which you HAVE to pay for to get these new things. They recently released a content update in late January together with a patch. I am seriously looking forward to new content, unlockables and more. If I had to guess, I'd guess they will release weapons and different armours soon.

Many people also claim they have lag issues, this is because they choose servers that have horrbile ping, because they have absolutely no understanding of servers what so ever. If you pick a good server and have a decent internet connection, then you will have no trouble. There might also be some unsupported routers that have created problems for some people. This is a big reason why many discard the game outright and write a bad review here, they are too lazy to fix lag issues. That is why they feel the game is unresponsive, choppy and "unfair", it is literally only because of ping, that's how ping works. There are no choppy weapons, this is because of lag only.

As for people claiming M&B has a better combat system... Yeah, swinging wildly with little to no weight behind your swings and never tiring seems perfect. They are just blinded by their on fan-boyism. I've played M&B, I love it. Chivalry has a more skillful and better combat system though. Duels are amazing. The only way M&B or War of the Roses, can be better is when you have a large group (clan or guild) that works together, which doesn't happen often. WotR's problem is that it doesn't have the maps designed for large scale, group or line warfare.

The only thing that Chivalry doesn't have, that WotR does have. Is customization options, in WotR you can create your own unique armours and coat of arms, which is really cool, since you basically have your own "house" you're fighting for. The problem with this is that many players tend to make goofy looking armours and such, destroying the awesome feeling of the game. WotR is also set in a later period it seems, as their armours look like they're from a later period of the middle ages. Bordering on 16th century armours, I'd say. There's far too little chain mail, which is sad, it was widely used during the middle ages, with only a surcoat over, something both games lack. Then later, it was used as further protection together with plate armour.

In conclusion, I love M&B, I love Chivalry. M&B is really fun with a giant group and lots of players, but Chivalry has a more skillful and immersive combat system, where there is a lot more techniques than M&B has, and War of the Roses.
  86. Apr 1, 2013
    I just bought this on sale on Steam for $8.49 and I've gotta say, this game kicks ass! If you want some happy happy fun times then get this game. I fired it up, launched the tutorial (was done in 5 minutes) and then jumped into an online game. I started as an Archer and with my first arrow fired slew a knight attacking one of my teammates with about a 60 yard shot. And then as my foe, fell to the ground, my teammate lopped off his head with his sword. Yeah it took all of 30 seconds into my first online match and I was hooked on this time killer! Great Buy if you get it on sale, don't feel bad if you paid full price the game is worth it. Expand
  87. Dec 7, 2012
    For a game in its early states, this is a phenomenal game. Melee combat is smooth, the developers' commitment is astounding and improvements, fixes and polish are applied with admirable regularity for such a small team. Can't help but love this game.
  88. Jul 29, 2013
    This game is amazing! I haven't had this much fun playing video games in years, and I play a lot. Its not a complex game, nor does it take itself too seriously, but the game is better for it. Charging into battle while your character shouts a war cry, or laughs like a lunatic is hilariously awesome. I find myself laughing with a big smile on my face the whole time I'm playing this game. Like I said, it is not complex, but there is enough depth for characters to learn new skills and practice techniques to become terrors on the battlefield, and yet not make the game aggravating for other players. If you die, its usually pretty clear how you made a mistake and offered yourself on a silver platter. Anyways, I could go on and on. Do yourself a favor and at least look into this game. Watch some reviews on Youtube, and ignore the haters on this site. Its awesome! Expand
  89. Nov 26, 2012
    There are quite a few low scoring reviews here saying the melee system is awful and clunky and depends on luck - nothing could be further from the truth. Once you understand the classes, and weapons, and how spacing, timing and swing speed can be manipulated by footwork and mouse movement, it becomes an incredibly nuanced and engaging combat system with lots of depth. It's one of the few combat games where you can get the feeling of an extremely satisfying and hard won victory, and it rewards actual skill. Yes, you can be affected by luck during FFA's and large battles where its hard to avoid a swing or see behind you, but that isn't a product of the combat system, rather the successful emulation of the fog of war and chaos on the battlefield. There are issues however: One is the archaic server browser and the buggy connections and frequent inability to join games with friends. Lag is an problem on some servers (its not apparent if it's my connection or the server software, or the client itself), and it can and will get you killed at times. Another is the actual lack of servers due to the awful console only dedicated server. However, both of these should be addressed by the devs in due time, so i'm not too worried. Finally, I personally don't think the bots are all that useful once you get past the basics... it would be nice if there was an advanced AI to really practice dueling and technique against. More maps and maybe weapons would be great as well, it seems like both are a bit light, even for an indie launch. (or the game is just that good that i want more)

All in all, I can look past the teething issues and see a really fantastic combat experience that rewards skill with a satisfying war cry and the blood of my enemies. TLDR: Great game with easy to learn but hard to master (yet rewarding) mechanics, early server issues are forgivable, could use more content and better AI to practice against
  90. Dec 9, 2012
    Just bought this game after watching a review on youtube and was very surprised. Especially the "weight" of the swords is great. Every single time I get in a fight I feel my heart racing. So intense, and that feeling isn't going away, so I know it's a great game. I love it! Laughed my ass off too. Could use a bit more polishing of the menus, and perhaps making speers and archers less powerful, but other than that, good fun! The graphics and sounds are great too. Expand
  91. Dec 26, 2012
    This game was well worth every penny. I'm a huge fan of medieval combat and this game was literally a perfect fit for my gaming style. It might not be for everybody, but the game gets a strong 10/10 from me.
  92. Dec 22, 2012
    Chivalry is a one of a kind game, there is no other game. You'll find the combat more intense than in any other game and the atmosphere is incredible. It never ceases to amaze me that this game was brought by an indie company. It is worth your money and time, but this really is one of those one of a kind games that you must have played.

To compare it with War of the Roses, WotR does
    deliver better customization and depth. But the core gameplay of Chivalry is far superior. TornBanner can and will add more details (such as customization) in future patches. WotR however, or any other game for the matter, cannot change its core gameplay.

If you're one of those people like me, unsure whether to buy a game and reading some reviews, buy it. Don't pay to much attention to all the negativity. Chivalry is a skill-based game, and some new players think they'll know how to play like veterans in no-time. That's why they get frustrated and blame it on bad game mechanics and glitches. Know however, that I have invested 110 hours in this game and I can assure you, actual bug encounters or other glitches are rare.
  93. Aug 22, 2013
    Chivlary is a good game,you have to time your attacks and blocks it's fun to play the only class that is not good it's the Archer,the combat is very good to other melee games
    -try it or buy it!
  94. Dec 26, 2012
    GAME OF THE YEAR! The game take the ye ol formula for games on Steam which is put in a ton of gameplay modes for online multiplayer and also have a single player mode to fight against bots. This takes it to a whole nudda level excelling above even some of my favorites like TF2 on Primal Carnage. It has great gameplay with awesome weapons and smooth mouse controls. It has nice looking graphics with a surprisingly small amount of clipping weapons ect. It is overall really fun and has the best online play in a while. Expand
  95. Dec 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My current obsession. First person shooters can not compare to a full physics based melee combat system (plus physics based projectiles). Most FPS use hit scan to detect if you hit or not, but this game uses swings, parries, blocks, dodges and weapon to body part hit detection and physics collision. I'm a game developer and I can tell you what they pulled off is revolutionary. All future games should learn from this game! So good, I can't stop playing it :)

Some tips:

Vanguard is a good starting class. It has some of the longest reach weapons and you can "mouse up" to stab with one of the pole arms and learn to play distance games while you can "left mouse button" to swing some of the long swords around on a FFA server to get double and triple kills occasionally.

The Knight is a good second class to learn as it can take the most hits (generally 3 hits instead of 2 from powerful weapons). It has some variety as you can play with long reaching two handed sword or a one-hander plus shield. The extra durability comes in useful when you need to increase your survivability (which comes in pretty handy in objective based maps).

The Archer is a good class to play in wide open maps or maps where there is a front line protecting you as you try to pop off enemies. My personal favorite thing is using the short bow and doing mid to close ranged shots and killing people as they try to approach me. You can quickly switch to a short sword, parry their incoming blow and then go in for a quick stab before you run out of range of their next hit, then go in for another blow. The parry from the short swords and daggers aren't nearly as effective as just running out of the range of the enemy's weapon and then running back in range.

The Man at Arms is my current favorite class to play, but I'd consider him one of the hardest classes to play (advanced tactics required to be good). Generally a fun way to troll people is pick the Oil Pot and when you spawn, switch to it and run around until you see someone in the "last stage bloody" point. One shot from the Oil Pot will kill them for a relatively easy free kill. Then run around and use the class's extra speed to your advantage by running in, getting as many hits as you can. If they parry you, instead of parrying their next shot, press backwards+dodge or turn straight around and sprint out of distance from their swing, then when you hear their "grunt" from swinging, immediately turn around and swing and you'll generally catch them post-swing and repeat.

So fun, can't play anything else :)
  96. Dec 26, 2012
    So fun! I have not been able to stop playing this game. I've logged about 35 hours played time so far and I must say it's super addicting. The medieval combat is perfect if you're into that sort of thing. The fighting feels natural and it's easy to learn the basics and start chopping off heads, while there are advanced combat techniques that take some time to master. There are 60 different weapons to unlock so you want to keep playing and trying out different classes. With about 4 truly different game modes and a handful of different maps the game cycles through, things never start to feel old. I suggest you pick this game up, it's 100% worth the money. Expand
  97. Feb 20, 2013
    Bought this game out of curiosity last week... and haven't stopped playing it! Sure there are few tweaks needed and some greater customization would be nice, but the core game play is great fun. Addictive and brutal combat although archers seem to have the least attention paid to them in game design .

98. Mar 5, 2013
    This is way better than SimCity 2013 I can actually play it without DRM issues. Slicing dicing is fantastic, the attack/defence is equally engaging.
  99. Mar 11, 2013
    Fantastically fun. There are bugs, there are some weak level designs, but overall this is sooooooooo fun game to play. Chivalry has a great sense of humor... there's no shortage of entirely hilarious happenings. Go get it!
  100. Mar 17, 2013
    Easily my game of 2013 so far, and I doubt it will be topped any time soon. The combat is wonderfully skill based, the game play is fantastic, the community is generally good and the graphics are more than adequate. I keep coming back to this game without fail, especially with the number of free updates that keep coming. Buy this game, it's cheap for what you get and you'll have hours of fun.

1. Feb 26, 2013
    A multiplayer experience that offers a realistic point of view of the Medieval melee battles. It's not fit for everyone, but if you get past the glitches and the high difficulty curve, you'll find an enjoyable and addictive game.
    Chivalry is slightly… bipolar. The spectacle of a duel (especially if the two opponents are seasoned veterans) can be spectacularly breath-taking, a complex choreography that one can only marvel at. Blocks, feints, slashes, back-steps, side-hits: despite initial impressions, this can be a truly intellectual game of tactics, requiring high skills, observation and deviousness. On the other hand, the spectacle of a massive battle of fifty warriors can be ridiculously chaotic: especially if the players are inexperienced and go for blind “hack and slash” tactics, it’s more like a metal concert mosh pit than a battle for glory and honor. [February 2013]
  3. Feb 1, 2013
    Chivalry is Quake to War of the Roses' Battlefield, and those seeking a faster-paced bloodier experience will undoubtedly prefer Chivalry's type of steel. [March 2013, p.65]