7.9

1. Oct 16, 2012
    Buy this game! The combat is better than any other melee game I've played. its hard to believe this is from an indie studio. If you like fast paced, smart, melee combat, this game is for you.
  2. Oct 16, 2012
    This game is made of 100% pure epicness, it really does the job of getting you into a medieval battle. Combat is fluid and complex, graphics top notch for being indie, great active community oh and did I mention most of their dlc and expansions will be free?
  3. Oct 16, 2012
    This game is simply awesome. The combat system is great and the battles are intense! I definitely recommend picking this game up. The $24.99 price is a steal.. I would have had no problem paying $50 for this game.
  4. Jul 24, 2013
    Fun game with little depth. The joy of brutally killing other players is nice, but the mechanics fall short making it a slasher with little skill involved. This game will provide some thrills, but I would only pick it up on sale.
  5. Oct 23, 2012
    This game is moderately fun to play, for a little while. After taking a closer look at the game, you will find just how bad the character animations really are. The combatants run like they are intoxicated with a football stuck in their backside, and the attacks are very clunky. This is an Indie game, and you can tell. I would have felt comfortable paying $10, not $25. This game is not as good as Warband or War of the Roses, and any of these fanboys who say otherwise and rip this review are kidding themselves. The large maps with nice scenery help the overall look of the game, but the awful character animations are this game's undoing. Expand
  6. Oct 16, 2012
    I'm not sure, but all signs point to it being Age of Chivalry (old Source mod) remake.
    Even though it didn't exactly leave beta status, judging by amount of stuff missing, occasional server drops and UI problems, it's still nicely playable, looks good in every aspect and is most fun you can have in medieval slashing game.
    Compared to recent War of the Roses, Chivalry:MW beats it in every
    aspect, being better thought out and having much better controls.

Few patches, extra game modes, and it'll be perfect.
  7. Oct 23, 2012
    I am so disappointed with both this game and with WotR. WotR was disappointing when it came out, so I had sort of low expectations for this game, but even that didn't make this game playable :/. It had promised a lot of realism, and that tactics should be vital, but it just isn't. People are running around all over the place, and it just seem so chaotic to me. I don't know what I'm grading here really, the game or the players, because none of the players are playing as with tactics, so that's really what's making the gameplay suck. I really believe this is a waste of money, and if you're really desperate for a game like this, I would say buy War of the Roses, even if that is no sunshine either. Expand
  8. Oct 16, 2012
    Fantastic sounds, visuals, level design and gameplay come together to make a very special game. It is very immersive, and the battles are intense and violent. There is alot of skill involved In the combat system-- slashes, overheads and stabs can be freely controlled by the mouse to try to get around oppenents blocks, likewise, you must aim your block free form against the angle of the incoming attack.

It is addictively fun and their are several gamemodes to enjoy- Team Objective, King of the HIll, Last Team Standing, Free for all and team deathmatch. My favorite is team objective, where team work is necessary to complete objectives to open next objectives and parts of the map on the way to total victory.

I find myself laughing hysterically at the medieval mishaps that can happen. Play with a friend to double the laughter! Highly recommended. This game is one of a kind.
  9. Oct 16, 2012
    Now as an alpha tester for the game, I'd love to give it a ten, but I simply cannot. As of today, Tuesday October 16, 2012, there remains the issue of balancing and polishing the game. For the past 4 months I saw the game go from a fun, but hardly playable game, to a mostly well polished game. All in all, I recommend buying it now, but expect there to be much more work done to the game, and a lot of time you would have thought you would have done something productive with stolen by Chivalry. Expand
  10. Nov 19, 2012
    I simply cannot believe this game has any good ratings at all. The combat is choppy and completely non-fluid, internet play is laggy, controls are worthless, cheesy soundtrack (at times), are just some of the many things horrible wrong here. While I will give it points for a unique concept I can't like it for much else.
  11. Dec 8, 2012
    This game was on my watch list ever since I saw some footage of it. But it failed to deliver on most of the grounds promised. It is a poor game, and honestly, War of the Roses beats it in almost every aspect.

Pros:
    Gore and Brutality are very high in Chivalry, adding a sense of realism and depth to the game.
    Ambiance: Battle cries echo the battlefield, screams of the dying are
    overwhelming, adding realism to the game.
    Game Modes: Chivalry posesses a lot of game modes. This adds variety to your playing.

Cons:
    Slow, Unresponsive melee combat
    Terrible hitboxes
    Glaring imbalances
    Terrible archery system
    It doesn't matter if you use a piercing, blunt, or slashing weapon, the penetrate armor all the same.
    Servers rotate game modes every game, so you have to leave and rejoin another server if you want to keep playing your favorite game mode.
    Lastly, the in-game class selection is TERRIBLE. You have to re-select your weapons every time you want to change a class. This gets annoying very quickly.

Final verdict: 4/10
    I would buy it for $5, but any more than that, it is simply not worth it.
  12. Oct 29, 2012
    Right, so I don't know why people compare this game to Mount and Blade so much; apart from taking place in a realistic (no magic) medieval setting, the two games are worlds apart. To make it short, this is game is basically Counter Strike: 1100 AD. What's nice, though, is that you don't have any players who headshot you before you can blink now, because it's the middle ages and you can't do that! What you do have is a cathartically fun first-person-slasher that is everything its predecessor (Age of Chivalry) was, made better by new voice-acting, better class/equipment organization, and the Unreal engine. There are a couple of bugs here and there, but nothing too drastic. Honestly, I can't give this game anything less than a 10 because I've yet to find a better way to have fun with my computer. Expand
  13. Oct 22, 2012
    As polished and appealing as this game is, it still fails to distinguish itself from the countless other free medieval warfare mods besides a small bump in graphics at the cost of 23 euro which will plague this game with a lack of players in the coming weeks.
  14. Nov 18, 2012
    ah, chivalry. I used to play the mod: Age of chivalry with my mates back in the days when it came out, it rocked!. This game though, does not.

First of all, the game looks great visualy and the gritty look is great! Sounds are on ''ok''-tier in my opinnion. Controls on the other hand arent that great. Moving and attacks feel laggy, janky and really unpredictable. Attacks dont connect
    half the time, even when its a clear torso hit, blocks are so random, and the lack of directional blocking is a great miss, And its stupid when you block an greatsword attack (that has the weight of the sword + strenght of the attacked, plus the momentum behind it) with a small dagger. Your shield wont block attacks when its on your back, wait what. Yes you can have a humansized shield on your back and it wont protect you, yep.

Game has a small unlock system, in which you kill players with a certain weapon to unlock a new weapon on the same tier. This has no place in the game on my opinion and the mod age of chivalry did this right, there was more classes in which the weapons were balanced out, here you only have 4 classes to choose from that have unlockable weapons.

Game modes

-FFA: total and utter **** imagine you are in a small 25meters x 25meters arena, with 31 other players, you spawn and you die 5 seconds later! Even if you manage to live the first 10 seconds and get into a duel, someone from behind will come and kill you with one swing to the head OR steal your kill.

TDM: much more fun than FFA thats for sure. Still, its a mayhem if you wont be killed by enemies in 3v1 situacion youl get killed by that noob on your team that attacks with sweep attacks only.

Objective: Its fun, on the defence, when you only have to walk 10 seconds into the objective when you respawn, attackers have to make a 1 minute run to the objective at the end of it. This mode could be fun if the attackers respawn would move as you go on, but no, it only moves when you complete the objective. This results in frustration, when you die, you respawn, then you run to your objective for 30-60 seconds only to find out that you are the only one there, aginst 3-6 defenders that murder you, rinse and repeat.

Pros

-Visualy nice looking game
    -Gritty and brutal

Cons
    -23 euros for a dumbed down mod
    -Controls, attacks and blocking feels janky and laggy
    -unlock system does not benefit anyone in anyway
    -Respawns are really ****ty for the attackers side on the objective mode
  15. Oct 17, 2012
    One word. Amazing. I never played the beta, and watched a trailer of the game on youtube and took the dive. My god, did I chose the right decision! This game is insanely fun to play, and the completely best part about it - combat is 100% skill based. In a 1v1 situation, the better player will win every time, there is no "rock-paper-scissors" style like there is in WotR. The combat is amazing, parrying/blocking/dodging your opponents attack feels immensely satisfying when you land that killing blow because of it. This is old school server style, no match-making which makes it so you never feel a sense of community or whatnot, if you play on the same server all the time you're going to see familiar faces, and be on friendly terms with players. This only leads to a more exciting experience because you will have grudge-matches against specific players, or find out you play well with another and can join up on the same team. This is what makes a game last a very long time, and I think this game has a very good future ahead. I also wanted to touch base with the tutorial - besides 2-3 misspelled words (that I caught) the way they did the tutorial is really rather fun. I suggest everyone do everything in the tutorial before you join a multiplayer game because there are many tactics that they teach you which are needed to have a good online experience (stopping your attack by hitting q, leading to a 'trick-play' for example). If you're on the ropes about buying this game, I hope I helped you out a little bit. They have also said they are going to release free DLC in the future. Expand
  16. Oct 16, 2012
    This is by far the best FPS (S for slasher LOL) melee game I have ever played. It has great Counter-Strike/COD style multiplayer game modes. I was skeptical to try out a FPS melee game but I have to admit they did it right. Combat is amazing, graphics are great especially for indie, and the sounds of battle in the game really add to it. Highly recommend you do the training before you play a multiplayer game or you will just get stomped. Expand
  17. Oct 23, 2012
    At a glance, I was skeptical of this game, since I didn't know of it during it's development. I decided to splurge and buy a 4 pack on Steam, for me and my friends. The first few games I had I was totally confused with the controls (Even with prior experience with similar games), but after being explained the proper controls the game instantly became one of my favorites. The crashing and bugs are to be expected even after release due to being developed by a small indie developer. These problems are easily changed with a few hot fixes and patches which the team so far have been making quite frequently. As a user of Eyefinity, It requires a little configuration to work, which is actually way easier to setup then most games.

I can't wait to see what is to come from this game with the incoming release of mod tools.
  18. Nov 15, 2012
    I'm also surprised that this game got good reviews. It's abysmal and thoroughly disappointing. If you want to run around like an idiot clicking furiously and hoping that your hits connect, this is the game for you. It's not "difficult", it's stupid and mostly luck whether you win in a melee or not. Totally buggy, none of the features work like they should. Online players are jerks and seem to be an average of 12 years old. The only emotion this game causes is frustration. I really don't understand how anyone enjoys it. Expand
  19. Oct 28, 2012
    Would be so much more fun were it not so buggy right now. As it is, it's more of a paid beta, than it is a game ready to be released. There are COUNTLESS situations where hits don't connect, enemies hit you when the strike is clearly going to miss, archer's bolts/arrows strike you when they should have missed, etc. This obviously comes down to lag issues, but if those aren't taken care of, then the game is flawed. And mind you, this is playing on servers where I have a 30-50 ping.
    In addition, your strikes get nullified way too easily. I understand this is trying to be realistic, but in reality, your attacks don't always have to follow the same exact plane of attack, regardless of surrounding variables. These variables include terrain obstacles around you, such as trees, rocks, or whatever, and teammates. You could switch to an overhead attack, or stab, and still find your attack nullified. The game is entirely too sensitive, and it becomes extremely frustrating to play. A little leeway would go a long way to making the game more enjoyable. I'm good at controlling my attitude while I play a "game", but this game constantly has me quitting in frustration, due to situations where I simply do not feel in control of my character, nor the situation itself. If you're looking for a medieval combat simulation, or anything even close to that, buy Mount & Blade Warband. This game simply wasn't ready for release. It's just too buggy, and needs too many optimizations to be a fully enjoyable experience. This is besides the fact that it runs like crap.
  20. Oct 17, 2012
    It doesn't get any better than this when it comes to close quarters melee on a team scale. There will be some patching required before the game is rock solid, but if you are looking for visceral, immersive combat, this is the place for you. The adrenaline of battle has caused me to regress about 15 years, bouncing up and down with excitement and grunting with my character as each swing tries desperately to separate my opponent's limbs from their body. This has got to be unhealthy. Expand
  21. Oct 17, 2012
    Amazing game really. I'm a big fan of Jedi Academy and any melee game that allows you to win with skill. Basically, this isn't a game where you can get "cheaped" like many.

There are several players already whose skills have passed the threshold to the point where one can barely defeat them. It's entirely skill based. It's also a throw back to the good old days with a SDK, free content
    updates from the developers, and dedicated servers.

@whoohoomasters review, I'm not sure what he means by missing, but this is made by the same team that made Age of Chivalry. UI is kinda flawed, but server drops is his issue, I've never had it, and looking the support section, neither has anyone else.
  22. Oct 21, 2012
    This isn't a realistic recreation of the ACTUAL weight of medieval armor- any more then Call of Duty accurately depicts soldiers wearing 80+ pounds of gear being able to sprint and jump and dive and what not.
    This is a FPS, mainstream quality medieval war game- and it is glorious. Nothing is better then dying, and see your OWN players head- from the viewpoint of his' eyes SPINNING through
    the air, it's great to die in this game! Expand
  23. Nov 26, 2012
    Why is this worth more that £5? The combat is just depending on luck. Its about who ever hits first or who has more backup or health. Really disappointed in this game.
  24. Oct 17, 2012
    Awesome game! And for the price, Oh well it's a must have!
    Be warned, however. This game has only been out for a couple of days, and as we all know, beta testing doesn't fix anything. The game does have a few bugs to iron out and it does have perhaps some balancing issues, but Torn Banner (the makers) have placed a timeline on a patch to be roughly 2 weeks, so it'll be smooth and even
    better soon enough! Expand
  25. Nov 28, 2012
    I've never reviewed a game before (despite years of gaming), but I felt so cheated on the money I spent on this game, that I decided to sign-up. Simply put, it's dreadful. The graphics are okay, but the animations are awful. At times I found myself laughing at the sound, and the general UI/presentation is amateur to the extreme. However, the worst thing about this game (apart from the price tag), is the shocking game-play; it really is awful. A couple of years back I played Mount & Blade... a game with some serious issues, but a combat system that is many times more realistic and enjoyable than this bad joke. Can I have my money back, please? Expand
  26. Jan 12, 2013
    Excellent multiplayer slasher, full of sound, fury and blood. More object maps has epic gameplay and i don't know why it has not got 100 so everyone should give it 10/10 :)
  27. Oct 30, 2012
    I bought this game hoping for a good slasher similar to die by the sword (1998), and while the hit detection is ok, the mechanics are poor and the game itself is a complete bore. I'm glad to be supporting indie developers, but this game needs a lot of work before it could be considered fun.
  28. Jan 13, 2013
    This game is a breath of fresh air. Its obviously not a triple-A title and you can tell due to the clunky UI and sub-par sound. This is however an amazing indie game with incredible depth. You can spend hundreds of hours learning the combat in the game. One of the best games I have played recently.
  29. Oct 16, 2012
    This is not to bad but for sure not a 10. The graphics are fairly nice and the way the multiplayer works in regards to the little objectives is very unique. When is unfortunate to me is little to known customization and skins for the guys. Each team more or less looks the same just red or blue and slight helmet adjustments. Also I feel the weapons act more arcade like and play that way also. I wish the game was slightly more historical, but iI understand that this is not how they planned it which is fine. It is a very hectic type of game which pretty much just relies on running up and flanking people and hitting them when they are fighting someone else to win. The blocking has a delay to and can not be held, which is fine for one on one but not to great when vs more than two. The archery is slightly disappointing and doesn't really feel like a real bow. Its still a good game to play and have fun with never the less, but I feel it is lacking quite a bit and is heavily over hyped by all the people on you tube who where given beta key to promote it. Expand
  30. Apr 1, 2013
    I tried to like this game. I really, really tried, but I just can't. I love the setting, love the gore, the simple yet allowing finesse fighting system. But the hit detection and block detection completely SUCK MONKEY BOTTOM. And that's the most important thing in the game! Many times my spear thrusts were going through an opponents chest without scratching him when he doesn't have a single problem beheading me. Or blocking enemy's attack while doing as you're supposed to, aiming at the enemy's weapon tip. And yet my head flies somewhere into the bushes. And it happens all. The. Time. It is extremely frustrating when you're sitting on the edge of your seat, trying to get that hit in with a supposedly long-range swing but nope, you gonna get absolutely mutilated. It is very hard to understand your weapon's range, as on numerous occasions it seems like it should connect, yet it doesn't for some reason. Other than that the gameplay is extremely hectic, lacks any tactic or strategy (gogogo in group zerg rush rush rush hurr durr kekeke), feels lacking. I find it a waste of money...yet I keep returning to the game, hoping that maybe it's my skill or ping or planet alignment. But nope, each time it ends up with unexplainable hitbox missess and teabagging of my bloodied corpse. Yay. Do not buy, I guess.
    Graphics are nice, though.
  31. Jan 9, 2013
    Great looking, and a ridiculously fun game, ruined by the masses of bugs that make it very hard to play the game at all. I'll amend this review when the game is fixed. ** Bugs have now been mostly fix (not completely, but well enough), making this purely a very fun game which I reccomend highly!
  32. Oct 24, 2012
    This game will leave you frustrated - it is just too damn hard, and when there's good parts, they are too few and far between. Objectives are nice, but for the most part, you are dodging the opponent and swinging one of several weapon types. Of them, it seems that greatswords and pikes are the most OP, and I have no idea how the enemy can swing them so fast. Maybe its the server connection issues, but when I swing, its too often out of reach, even if I"m running point blank to the person. . I wanted to like it, as it is something new in the genre, but the gameplay is just not for me. It is too clunky, yet fast paced. Save yourself 25$ and get this if it goes on sale, otherwise you may be as turned off as I was Expand
  33. Oct 20, 2012
    Wow, epic game. The combat is really fun. It's all around you, trench warfare style, but medieval. The modes are fun. Last man standing is two teams fight until the death of the other team until each team wins seven rounds. Doesn't take long. You have free for all, which is obvious. There's a few others too that I haven't played yet. But my favorite so far, is the objective mode. Push a cart of diseased bodies (think like payload on TF2), or get past the defenders and destroy the catapults, or light fires to things, or break into a boarded up home and kill the heirs to the throne, or at the end of one of them you have to kill or protect the king, which is made of one of the players. There's more I think, but you get the gist. The objective modes aren't just one thing. You have 3 or 4 areas or objectives to do one by one. So while there is currently only 6 maps it's still like 18-24 areas to battle in. There's supposed to be free maps coming, as it is, there's a good amount of variety already, as I said 18-24 areas each one with an objective. The maps are very well done. With lots of different medieval style buildings and wooden outposts, and the terrain isn't flat. One map has a wooden log you have to get across as one of the ways to get to the objective, and below is a river you die if you fall in. The game looks pretty dang good too. Not BF3 quality, but very good nonetheless. This game is just downright fun. Even when you get teamkilled, it isn't that bad. It happens. Everyone is swinging swords and maces around, it'll happen. Don't get mad, just slouch it off. It doesn't happen too often. 1-2 times a match usually. But you can kill 20-30 people in a match, I've seen higher. Even in my short time, just got the game about 5 hours ago, I've already racked up 26 kills in a match. There's four classes. Man of Arms, Vanguard, Knight, and Archer. Each class has 3 different slots for weapons (or you can use one of them for a shield or throwing knife/axe/smoke bomb). There's multiple weapons per slot. So you can use a great big axe or like a big claymore/greatsword for one of the slots. I think it comes with 3 weapons per slot from the get go with a few more able to be unlocked. But yeah there's quite a few weapons available. Controls. While most people will play KB+M, I will tell you that you can at least hybrid it. You can Gamepad+Mouse it, at least with the 360 controller. You probably could play just with the 360 controller, but I haven't tried that, so can't corroborate that. As is you can rebind the keys and the 360 controller is recognized (even as a 360 controller). But yeah you are probably going to want to use the mouse for the aim, as precision is key for blocking.

Timing is important while playing, and you can fake your strike. Some classes can charge, and of course Archers can rain down hell from a distance. But there are limitations to them in the sense you have to reload the crossbow, and can only hold the arrow for so long, run out of arrows for a time period, etc. Game seems pretty balanced. Might need a tweak or two, but I see everybody killing everybody and various classes being better against others and vice versa. That's how it is. People with longer weapons have a reach advantage, people with faster weapons can strike faster, archers can get creamed when up close with the big boys. But that doesn't mean they can't do damage themselves in melee. You can even kick people in the chest which is pretty cool. Health regenerates (no health pickups or team spawn or picking your teammate up), but the health regenerates slowly so it's done right imo. One really cool thing about the game is if you spawn and your team gets an objective, rather than have to run all the way, you can hit a button an respawn at the beginning of the next section's spawn point. Also it's TELLS and ALERTS you this happened. Great addition there. The combat is rewarding. You can cut off heads. But it doesn't stop there. You can cut off arms too! Hell one time I took out a dude's leg, he was dazed, I took off his arm and head in the next shot. Yes, that feels really rewarding. It's also not just the greatswords that take off heads, while I haven't played every weapons, multiple classes and weapons can do it. A mace will easily take off a head, and it's totally possible to kill multiple people at once, even multiple heads at once! Get this game. Go slaughter some filthy villagers! Raze the fields! Kill the King and his heirs! While it isn't perfect, it's very close to being perfect. The genre doesn't have much competition or history. Basically Warband and the recently release War of the Roses (funny huh...unique genre and yet a competing product comes out and almost the same time). Don't worry though, TONS of people are playing this game. Easily 3000 or more people.

34. Nov 11, 2012
    Chivalary is one of those games that can be played by mashing buttons, without regard of situation or without even knowing what you are doing. Same goes for any beat em up game.
    Does that make the game bad? Not at all. When first playing the game, you will die. Often. Mostly because you end up inside the mobfight and there is one guy swinging the biggest and nastiest weapon he could find.
    Given some time to play this, you will find tons of ways to counter these (as again, with a lot of beat-em-up games). Only at this point, will the game reach is potential. It does lack any visual customization or a way to discern your friends from other teammates, but i'm pretty confident those things will come in the near future.
    The visual style is grim and dark. Just the way it should be.
  35. Oct 17, 2012
    As someone who stressed over whether to buy Chivalry or WOTR but ended up getting both, here is my review. Melee combat is great, there is a sense of satisfaction that comes with winning a fight, even when you lose you feel like you truly lost against that opponent (unless you've just been ganked which isn't fun), WOTR does however lack this sense of victory and loss when it comes to melee combat. As a game it does lack the polish that I found in WOTR which is a very well rounded game but I hope that future content will rectify this. My only concern is that its price tag is disproportionate to what the game itself offers but as most (if not all) future content is meant to be available for free this should not be an issue. While is do love the melee combat system, at the moment that's pretty much all I like; a part of me wishes if only WOTR had chivalry's combat system, what a game that would be.. Chivalry does however have the makings of a great game, I'm looking forward to new content that they will release Expand
  36. Oct 19, 2012
    Amazing game. The combat seems simple but there is so much strategy and depth to the melee system, more so than any other similar medieval slasher. Unlike war of the roses, the combat doesn't feel floaty and light, each blow feels powerful and heavy. The objective modes are incredibly fun and unique, and there is a strong need for teamwork. Also the decapitations are freaking cool :D Just buy the game already. Expand
  37. Oct 22, 2012
    Unique game and a good time. I waited a couple days before purchasing because I was skeptical. The WotR and MnB people made like the game was awful. I waited until just before totalbiscuit posted his video in which he gives Chivalry a slight advantage to WotR. I am glad that I bought it - it is very fun to even play against the bots for practice. I highly recommend the tutorial and playing against bots 1v1 to make sure you learn the mechanics.

After you get rolling in this game, it is hard to stop. 1v1 with another real player is where this game truly shines.

I am looking forward to more updates for some minor bug fixes, content, and UI improvements.
  38. Oct 29, 2012
    I signed up to Metacritic just so say this -- If you want visceral medieval combat. Get this. Screw Mount and Blade, War of the Roses or whatever the crap is called. This rocks. This is brutal. Great job AOC guys, worth the wait!
  39. Dec 1, 2012
    Notice that all of the bad reviewers on this game are Mount and Blade fan boys. They are butt hurt that their game isn't nearly as fun as this is. This game is SO BAAAAAADDDDDDDAAASSSSSSSSS!!!! It's my favorite game right now. To say that there isn't any skill involved is bollocks. If you know what you are doing you can block and attack with complete control. The vibe is really cool and the Devs got it down just right. Yeah the characters walk with a stick in their rear, but who cares? That just adds to the humorous overtones that is so damn prevalent in this game. You can't help but laugh every time you play this game. The emoticons and saying you can say are hilarious and you guy can yell and scream bloody murder. The sound is amazing, blood gurguls, flesh and blood pouring, man, I get blood lust just thinking about it. The naysayers complain that their isn't any tactics, and that is crap too. In objective mode, the tactics are just as good as any Mount and Blade game. Besides, the game isn't about tactics, it's about chopping off limbs! Don't listen to the whiners, this game is the best thing going right now if you ask me. Good arcade y, action and fun. Expand
  40. Jan 24, 2013
    Very very buggy, couldn't complete tutorial because the keys it told me to use, were NOT the keys I actually had to use. Upon trying to fix this, I ended up deleting the keybinding entirely with no way to reset it.
  41. Nov 15, 2012
    Poor, simplified Mount&Blade clone. Does nothing better than its role model. If you're interested in the subject, buy M&B instead. If you already have it, don't waste your money on Chivalry. You'll get nothing out of it.
  42. Sep 24, 2013
    Seems simple at first, but very deep and skill based. The best simulation of sword fights I've ever seen. Assassin's Creed and similar games with QuickTime style combat should learn from this. The voice acting is hilarious and a lot of over-the-top gore. Absolutely love the game. Also many bugs have been fixed, would be over 80 game in Metacritic if it came out now with current build. Oh, and the people who claim that the combat is random or luck based, know absolutely nothing about the game. Just some newbies. I've played it over 100 hours and I can tell you that you are talking out of your ass. I can easily kill 10 noobs without getting almost no damage. Expand
  43. Oct 16, 2012
    What a great fun melee game this is. I came from playing mount blade and this definitely hit the spot some things do need fixing and tweaking but overall great experience and for the price definitely worth it. Graphics are very nice and the sounds are well.. Epic! maps are very well done with plenty of detail to keep you coming back for more.
  44. Oct 19, 2012
    Finally a fun fps style game. It's been a while since I've played a game that was fun like this. This was made by a small group of people so that's probably why it plays so well as compared to big company made games. The blood, and guts are awesome, and I love playing the archer character for a challenge.
  45. Oct 20, 2012
    Epic amazing game. A MUST BUY

LOVE IT

46. Oct 18, 2012
    Chivalry is what War of the Roses could and should have been. As a Veteran Mount & Blade: Warband gamer, I was looking for a fast-paced, skill-based multiplayer experience. I bought into War of the Roses hoping it would be the spiritual successor to Warband, but the melee in WotR is horribly clunky and the "realistic" armor modeling means that certain classes are invincible against others. In other aspects WotR has no realism at all, having an arcade "tackle" mechanic and spawning players immediately into battles.

Chivalry fixes all of these problems. Combat is 100% skill-based. Although there's no "directional" attacking and blocking a la Warband and WotR, blocks must be timed perfectly and cannot be held infinitely. The graphics -- with dismemberment! -- and audio are superior for an indie studio, with the right touches of humor thrown in for a multiplayer red vs. blue game that doesn't need to take its lore overly seriously. The minor problems in Chivalry at the moment which keep it from a perfect score, like poor VOIP and no coded team balancing, should be worked out soon according to developers on the forums. Looking forward to playing this game for a very long time.
  47. Oct 17, 2012
    After M&B and WOTR, this game nailed the Melee combat system, the learning curve is very short, it is easy to control you character with all the movement and blocking, and in very few hours you can be decent player in MP, but with all those simple control you can do many things and tricks and the combat will look even better with skilled player, more realistic and as the developers said Hollywood realistic. They just deliver what they promised 100% the weapons variety is just amazing and very balanced, you will enjoy mastering each weapon in the game, the classes are so different from each other yet they are balanced. Graphics, sounds and overall feel of the game is just stunning for such an Indy game, for sure it beats the other competitors in term of these, I am sure that the game will last very long time live with a lot of player and supported community, I hope all the success for the developers for future add-on/ games. I gave the game 9 cause there are still some area of improvement, and I am sure the developers will make most of them very soon. If you you like 1st person MP, medieval combat or melee style in general get this game with no hesitation, for it is price I ensure it will deliver you 100% satisfaction. Expand
  48. Oct 28, 2012
    Surprisingly a great game. I never ever have played first person melee combat game (other than Medieval mode for TF2) and got this one just because I've seen my buddy been playing it and Total Biscuit review. To my surprise, the game was beyond my highest hopes.. It';s totally not an high budget tittle, game interface looks sad at times and game is not supporting 120 FPS. But TO HELL WITH THIS WHINING! Chivalry got load of fun game modes (I liked Objectives much), and, what is most importantly, simply fun to play. If developers keep this game up with (free) content updates then we got a hell of the multilayer game. Expand
  49. Oct 22, 2012
    If you're a fan of the classic game, Rune, you will fall in love with this game. I am one player who, though enjoyed Mount & Blade Warband, was always intimidated by its complexity and difficult controls. This game strikes a fine balance between action and simulation, providing instant gratification (Free for all/DM) and goal oriented missions (Objective, Last Man). The game still has it's fair shair of bugs, crashes, and issues, but aside from these obvious correctable fixes, the game as a whole is a very enjoyable experience with lots of replayability. Expand
  50. Oct 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. I think this is one of the best game of the year. It is very tactical and team based. At first its very hard but after 20 games you can really good play it.:D Collapse
  51. Nov 29, 2012
    Was in my basket when i bought another game, bad bad accident. First game lag lag lag, don't see how game is so epic. Combat a few moves with a block oh and there is a crouch but cant hide behind anything low. I know its a indie game, but smells like it looks like it.....must be
  52. Oct 27, 2012
    I have to disagree with Reality_Check's point of view. First off the animations are very, VERY fluid. Unlike WOTR's choppy animations for attacking and blocking. The gameplay is basically top notch for its genre and its easy to pick up within about a few matches, but its VERY hard to master. Second, i doubt they even tried to compete with warband or WOTR but either way they blew them both out of the water in almost every aspect. Sure there isn't mounted combat and incredible customization but that doesn't even nick the surface of the game's true potential. All-In-All, if you want a great sword clashing, head rolling, arm severing, and the feeling of "Oh my god... did i just do that!?" then this game is by far the game for you. Oh and by the way, its by a indie developer... yea surprising isn't it? Expand
  53. Oct 29, 2012
    This game i almost perfect. I love the gameplay and the styling is awesome. It feels intuitive and fun albeit laggy at times. There seems to be an almost endless skill cap to the melee combat as your are forever able to improve your sword handling skills with techniques such as guard breaking, feinting attacks and dodging. The game is a wondrous medieval simulator that can take some time to get used to but it over an amazing game. Expand
  54. Jan 11, 2013
    Considering the cheap price, this game really delivers. I never thought I would be having so much fun with a melee multiplayer game. The sound effects are awesome. There is something realistic to hearing choking/gurgling coming from a fallen opponent after you stabbed him with a spear. It's basically a mix of counter strike (with swords) and team fortress. While the graphics look outdated, the fun gameplay makes up the difference which is really what counts in the end. Expand
  55. Dec 2, 2012
    I've been looking for one of these type of games for awhile. Tried War of the roses and this blows it out of the water. Absolutely incredible game. Highly recommend 10/10 trying to get all my friends to buy it.
  56. Dec 9, 2012
    One of the most fun online games I have played for a long time. To me this is basically what Guild Wars 2 combat should have been, if that is of any importance to anyone. Deep, skill based combat. Weapons all have a big influence on how a character plays. Needs a few balance tweaks here and there but few games out there at the moment as satisfying as the combat in this.
  57. Nov 5, 2012
    This game RULES! If you like killing things (in video games of course) but have found yourself bored with traditional FPS's and want something quite different, medieval different, look no further than this game. Gameplay is very fast paced, there are plenty of different modes and even different classes as well as different weapons per each class. I find the game is quite balanced overall, while some classes definitely have advantages over others depending on the situation. Solid game if you're in the mood for severing some heads (yes there's gore!), Expand
  58. Oct 23, 2012
    Amazing game, fun in every single way (except archery maybe). Buy it without a doubt, it will give you 50 hours minimum worth of fun multiplayer times.
  59. Oct 27, 2012
    For $25 this is simply amazing. Melee combat is in your face, brutal and bloody. Limbs are hacked off with the swing of your sword, skulls are busted with the force of your hammer. Kills are truly satisfying and there are a ton of weapons to choose from. Its intense, competitive and addicting.
  60. Oct 27, 2012
    You really must get past the initial phase of learning the mechanics to appreciate this game. After you've raged quite a bit and started to get a hang of if you'll see how much in depth the combat really is. There is room to improve though - some may experience performance issues, the game is not optimized very well, and it could use some kind of rpg element to keep your interest. Overall i recommend it very much - excellent and fun indie game. Expand
  61. Oct 28, 2012
    Let me start off my saying I am not even a big fan of FPS games. I bought this game because I enjoy the Medieval period and wanted something a little different than my usual turn-based strategy fair. In a word, WOW!. I won't even say it's good for an indie game, because it's good compared to even the AAA games. I read through all these reviews and the only negative reviews here are from people who clearly haven't had the practce and/or taken the time to understand the combat mechanics fully (learn to play before posting reviews...). I do not recommend games lightly to friends and family, but I highly recommended this one. The combat is both subtle and nuanced, but yet has that easy to learn , but hard to master appeal. The graphics are great, for example if you hit someone in the head with a heavy Maul their head actually explodes, whereas if you hit their left body you may chop off their left arm, complete with bloody spurting to the cadence of their heartbeat and visible severed arteries and bone marrow.

The gameplay itself is tremendous with various pop cap servers which plays a large role in determining the types of fights you are likely to get. High pop servers tend to be Giant bar brawl/street fights like you would see in the movie Braveheart. Lower pop server tend to feature a lot of 1 vs 1's.

My only beef I think would be the archery system, it's pretty lackluster compared to how the melee is done and archers are always messing up your fights fro ma mile away. But, other than that it's pretty flawless.
  62. Oct 29, 2012
    Awesome Game i must say! The combat feel very fluid and goes well by the "easy to learn hard to master" system, unlike certain other Medieval games, the combat here actually feels really rewarding and just contributes to the overall fun, in my opinion if you are a fan of Medieval / LARP / or anyhting that could be even related in anway, this game is a must buy!

(Ofcourse at the time of
    writing this, the game is not very old and as such has soem glitches and bugs, however the DEVs are fast to respond and already brought out a Hotfix and are working on the bugs, the fact that they reposnd fast to such things, is a pure win for me!) Expand
  63. Oct 31, 2012
    Definitely 1 of the best games video games ever , if not the very best one .
    I couldn't believe at first it is indie title made by indie devs with total lack of experience .
    Really good executed - comparable with AAA work .
  64. Apr 26, 2013
    The most annoying game I've ever played.
    Only two class rule the servers (vanguard, knight), archer is so lame I cant see far just 50m, cant kick with bow I can't block with bow, the weapon change is really slow...
    I can't block some attack with secondary weapon.
    This game is sucks, waste of my money.
  65. BMF
    Nov 12, 2012
    Chivalry Medieval Warfare is a excellent Brutal FPS PVP slasher with a focus on close range bloody combat. Every swing and stab feels appropriatly heavy and violent and blocking requires skill and timing rather then just holding a butten. If you enjoy PVP, medieval combat or both you will love this game buy it right now!!
  66. Nov 30, 2012
    In simple War of the Roses much more enjoyable. This game is like a quake - run, hit, block, run. No mind. No depth. No team play. When I down in WoR and someone heal me - I FEEL we are the team. Here we just run together. WaR has horse combat and really large area. Here we have stages, but you can use only one and fight is in one place. In WaR there can be several fights far each from other. WaR meely combat is really deeper, it is not just press one button. You should select direction, charge. It is much harder, but much more enjoyable in the end. Customization is awesome, in WoR of course. If we compare game feeling I don't see here nothing comparable. Expand
  67. Oct 19, 2012
    The fact that this game is indie should not be a factor in your purchase. The fact is this game delivers on it's promises to create one hell of a realistic experience. The graphics are beautiful, far beyond what an indie studio should be able to produce on such a small budget. The game play is good, but it's not great. There needs to be tweaking done to balance the weapons, and some upgrades to the hit box system would be nice. However all of the flaws are minor, for the most part it works how you would expect it to work. The maps are well designed, however you can get stuck on seemingly non-existing rocks or invisible walls from time to time.

Conclusion: The game is good for what it is, those who expected more shouldn't play a combat game based around such a simple time. Everything works, it runs smooth, and there are no huge balance issues. It can only get better from here. I rate the game an 8, as no game is perfect, and this game has it's flaws. It is indie after all.
  68. Jan 26, 2013
    This game is extremely bad. Very buggy fighting system, unbelievably bad AI. One of the worst AI systems of all time. With 32 players and above it's lagging well enough. Nearly nothing good in it! This game is still in early beta stage or late alpha stage. I can't believe that so many human thinks that it's a good game. God's Zoo have soo many inhabitants. If you don't want to waste your money DO NOT BY THIS GAME!!! It's bad like hell. Expand
  69. Nov 28, 2012
    I really, REALLY wanted to like this game. War of the Roses was a great game, but no-one plays it because it had a bad start and steep learning curve and does not have attack and defend modes. So I really did want to like this.

Summary: I picked this up for about £7, but, honestly, it's probably worth mroe like £5. It just feels like a poor, clunky mod. If it was faster and
    had better graphics it would be worth more.

Positives:-

Lots of people play it.
    It can be brilliant when people play as a team.
    It does feel quite medieval in spirit.
    The development team clearly want to fix the bugs that it has (which is a lot).
    Apparently they will release free updates, too.

Cons:-

1.Firstly, and most terribly, the game is slow-paced. And not in a good way. Just it takes you ages to get anywhere, it takes ages to swing weapons, and it takes ages to spawn. Even the menus are slow! (No, I don't have a slow computer.)
    2. The hit detection is terrible. People will hit you when they are nowhere near you or not even facing you. You will stab someone quite clearly yet "miss".
    3. It's very simple. There is almost no depth. War of the Roses had tonnes of depth from swing mechanics to where body armour is, to having to use certain kinds of weapons against certain kinds of body armour. This is hit/block/hit/block. Don't get me wrong, you can actually be skilled at the old hit and block, and timing is key, but that doesn't mean there is depth. There are a lot of skilled people at this game.
    4. The graphics are TERRIBLE. I can't believe people think they are good. The textures are AWFUL, to say the least. In all honesty, it looks like somewhere between a Half Life 1 and a Half Life 2 mod. It makes me wonder whether they imported their textures from the original mod.
    5. Bugs - there are a lot of them (even after the new patch), though I am confident the development team will fix them.

If they released an HD texture package (could happen; it has for other games, and the devs seem to really want to make this game great) increased the quality of the hit detection, and made the pacing faster, then I think it would be a very fun game. Just, right now, it feels like a mod, not a fully-fledged game.

I really wanted to like this, too!

:-(
  70. Dec 21, 2012
    As much as I want to like this game I can't bring myself to give it a high score. I was really excited to play this and I thought it was actually going to be like a tactical melee medieval game. IN NO WAY IS IT TACTICAL. People are fighting in the masses which isn't a bad thing if there was any tactic to this. There is no strategy or skill involved in this game. Just charge in and hack and slash everything you see is what this game is composed of. This isn't even the worst part. The hit detection is terrible; most of the hits you get in and attacks you block make no sense whatsoever. When it seems like you should've hit the other player or blocked an attack it doesn't happen! Incredibly broken. It gets really annoying when you switch classes as well; everytime you choose a class you have to set up your weaponry all over again. It'd be nice to see some sort of loadout instead of having to choose everything individually. The graphics are fine. I don't care for graphics as long as it's enjoyable but the gritty style put on by this game looks great. Sounds are mediocre at best but decent enough. Plenty of variation in game types. Classes are rather unbalanced though considering some classes run much too quickly or other classes run much to slow when in battle. This game really needed some polishing before release and for $25 it was not worth it. There is some enjoyment in this game especially when crushing someone's skull in and reigning victorious but I still don't recommend this game, but will definitely change this review if this game would get an update to fix how stupendously broken this game is. Expand
  71. Jan 17, 2013
    Chivalry is an FPS type game with a medieval theme to it, using mainly melee weapons with the occasional bow or crossbow. It can be a lot of fun if you enjoy FPS games and the idea of medieval combat. The game has a combat system that takes time to learn, it involves a lot of timing and precision. You can get lucky by just swinging wildly, but you are likely to take out your fellow team members by doing so. The game has multiple classes, a variety of unique weapons, and multiple game modes available to play. Expand
  72. Jan 29, 2013
    A really great game which realistically represents close- and range combat with various historical weapons. Gamemodes include: fighting in an arena, teamdeathmath, free for all death match, pillaging a city in a team, castle siege etc. and all of this in multiplayer! A must have for all fans of the medieval period!
  73. Jul 8, 2013
    This game has a lot of great things going for it, which is why it's a shame that it's challenges overshadow many of those. Combat system requires finesse and offers a decent array of weaponry but is glitchy and often out of sink with the picture. The maps are great but offer unseen traps where characters get stuck on scenery. The UI could use some work, most notably the Find Server screen, which is perhaps the glitchiest thing of all.

If you can get the game to work you have a tremendous wealth of multiplayer combat, most of which will be spent fending off your own team mates. This game is packed with team killing.

I want to love this game, and I play it over and over again in the hopes that just once I'll leave a session happy. They only tend to end in frustration, however.
  74. Jun 17, 2013
    By far the worst hack n slash. Medieval combat based game I have ever played. Mediocre graphics and probably the worst and most repetitive combat mechanics since Mortal online did us all the favor of dying out. The fact I can compare a game of this genre to an MMO is sad in itself.

The one redeeming feature is the use of siege engines but even that feels dull and unresponsive. This
    is medieval combat dumbed down to below anything I can ever remember playing..

I could find no bugs and found servers easily which each deserve a point.
  75. Jan 18, 2013
    Excellent multiplayer fun its all about killing stuff the old fashion way and plenty of fun to be had weather its trolling some one or been trolled its a barrel of laughs on a budget I love this game for fun times its given be but due to darkness i tend to get headaches not fault of the game just me getting old
  76. Jan 17, 2013
    One of the most unique game experiences I've had in a while. Hard to believe this is the work of an indie team! I used to be a non-believer in first person melee combat games. I always thought they were generally messy and random and needed to be in third person, but Chivalry has turned this around for me (despite actually having a 3rd person option anyway)! I just love this game!

Everything from the great combat system to the voice acting (and amusing dialogue) and the environments put you right there in brutal medieval battles. It is even a great game to watch in spectator mode!

The devs seem passionate and caring about their game and it is great to see patches & content updates being released.

Aside from some areas that need polishing and fixing (which I'm sure they will be) it is a pretty damn solid game. I also find it seems to be graphically better (max settings) than most of the videos about.

And just who doesn't love decapitating their enemies?
  77. Jan 7, 2013
    Seriously this game is the one of best FPS on multiplay for several years.
    And the best sword fight fps !
    I strongly recommend this game to someone who gets tired of these days FPS like console multi title.
  78. Dec 25, 2012
    I intentionally got this over War of the Roses, hoping it would be better.

I guessed wrong. It's horribly slow and unpredictable. Incredibly stale if I don't at least spice it up with some micspam.
  79. Jan 1, 2013
    Once I started playing it I could hardly stop. Played about 16 hours over 2 days, just kept loading the game back up again. Imagine something with far better combat mechanics than Skyrim, and much faster action and sudden surprises than a COD/BF3 multiplayer match, and you've got this game. If you learn to play the game well you can have amazing things happen like playing a round of elimination deathmatch where you whole team dies off, and it's you versus 7 opponents, and you against all odds still kill them all off yourself to make a victory for your team. Also, if you aim your swing right with a warhammer, you can explode your enemy's head like a watermelon, which is a great way to feel better about yourself if you've been getting riled up about things. :) Expand
  80. Nov 29, 2012
    This is just so much fun, It feels so good to decapitate someone, And though there isn't a lot of skill involved in some particular game modes it's still very fun to play, The only thing that i don't really like is the archer class, That's probably the only thing that is better in War of the Roses (in my opinion)
  81. Oct 25, 2012
    People need to stop bashing Chivalry when they play War of the Roses and vice versa.
    This game is completely different from War of the Roses as it originated from Mount and Blade: Warband
    and this game came from the hl2 mod Age of Chivalry. Why i prefer Chivalry over Wotr is the intensity of the combat and the simple but addicting unlock system, although the system in Wotr is very nice
    too, it doesn't
    really fit the genre. People complaining about the animations haven't played it enough, sure they could use some updating because they aren't really smooth but they are still very nice. Even though Wotr has more weapons, the weapons in chivalry feel more unique, and i have more of a gotta catch em all feel than in Wotr. Regardless they are both great games but i prefer Chivalry. (Also because it's first person.)

P.S. please fix javelins, they are severely underpowered.
  82. Jan 25, 2013
    I play the chivalry mod and that is quite great. This new game based on the unreal engine is choppy even with all the settings on minimum has terrible gameplay (and I play UT3 without problems). I dont know what else to say, it's just much worse than any medieval fps I played and I played them all... the movement and action are not responsive.
  83. Jan 14, 2013
    What a Great Concept for a videogame, This game is soooo much fun, its like CSS in the Medieval ages, Defenitly worth all of your moneys, Their is so much replay value in this game, ITS JUST SO MUCH **** FUn
  84. Oct 29, 2012
    many people slag this off because in their opinion it's not a mount and blade sequel, which is true, that game is war of the roses, this one's more action oriented and reminds me more of jedi knight: jedi academy game play wise, which is the best compliment i can think of. i've been waiting so long for a sequel to jk 3, and this game delivers similar game play experience. the melee fights are a great deal of fun, fast and responsive, every class has a significantly different play style, abundant and excellent game modes (especially team objective). the cons are: a bit outdated graphics (muddy textures, dx9), ranged combat is weak. still, great game for its price Expand
  85. Oct 31, 2012
    Wonderful game ! I tryed it full with scepticism , it soon exceed my expectations by far .
    The best knight combat I have ever seen in a video game .
  86. Oct 31, 2012
    The most epic game this year .
    The melee combat as you never saw it before .
    It is almost like you are there , extremely imersive atmosphere . Recomend it .
  87. Nov 12, 2012
    The game is the same free mod Age of Chivalry except now it's on the UT3 engine. It has slightly better graphics, some added combat features, and more weapons. The game is VERY buggy as of writing this and the game is its beta stage - It's not a polished product. The combat is pretty decent but it feels slow and clunky compared to Age of Chivalry. Combat seems to favour attack spam more than accurate controlled hits and blocking/dodging. A lot of times due to bugs/lag or just flawed game mechanics combat is inaccurately depicted on your screen - Things like players blocking with shield before it's equipped and shown in their hand or someone parry/blocking an attack an no parry/blocking animation is shown or player's hitting you without facing you - stuff like that. Anyway it's not a horrible game and for $25 bucks it's pretty decent. If the dev team fixes all the bugs and issues like they say then I would give it a 8/10. Expand
  88. Nov 13, 2012
    This is a brutal, unforgiving game with a considerable learning curve. Once you top the curve, however, it is an incredibly entertaining and rewarding game with many hours of potential play time. The defects are minor and the development team seems to be pretty involved in the well being of Chivalry.
  89. Dec 8, 2012
    haha so much fun!! so addictive. get it!! i didnt really like war of the roses because it took itself way to seriously. this on the other has perfected the balance between fun and too silly
  90. Nov 15, 2012
    This game is great, you really get the feeling that you are on an ancient medieval battlefield lopping someones limbs off with your giant axe (or whichever weapon you prefer) there are a few bugs that need to be ironed out but that can be expected with every new game developed by a small company. The combat is great and really gives you a thrill, so if you are looking for a new game to keep you entertained or are a fan of medieval warfare then this is the game for you! Expand
  91. Dec 2, 2012
    A must buy. It's a real time action game. Requiring some skill and training in order to be really good at the game. It has 4 different types of classes: Man At Arms, Knight, Archer and Vanguard. They all have their different skills for each type of class which is really balanced.
  92. Jan 1, 2013
    This game started out extremely frustrating.This game gets better with experience; Rewarding when you get the timing down for attacks while managing your stamina. The combat needs some tweeks but nothing too serious. 10 for me simply because it captures everything I expected in a medieval FPS.!!
  93. Dec 27, 2012
    This is a truly entertaining game. The medieval genre is very empty, but this sets a very high standard for any other medieval game to be made. The combat system is great, because you have to be very precise in aiming, and the battles themselves are good fun. It is also visually good-looking, and the lighting is often rather stunning. Objectives like poisoning the enemy's water supply, or lighting villages on fire, provides a very good replacement to the team deathmatch-style matches (not that it doesn't have these!).
    Having said this, Chivalry feels somewhat incomplete, because it isn't polished. At all. The scoreboard in-battle is designed badly, so items often overlap each other, and the menus don't always work as one would like them to. The subtitles in the training level also get to my head - there is only a certain amount of "fightign", "im" (fighting, I'm) that I can take.
    But these bugs and unpolishedness are easily surpassed by the sheer fun to be had in the game. Chopping people's heads off after sneaking up behind them will NEVER get boring.
  94. Jan 2, 2013
    After reading some reviews I was cautious at buying this game. Yet after getting into a match I found this game was super fun. To me it seems a bit like Skyrim style combat (sword/shield wise) which was VERY cool in my opinion. The blocking is really fun as you have to meet the tip of the enemies weapon with your shield or weapon like it would be in real life, so it takes some skill and at the same time is fun. Killing someone feels very satisfying as you are sometimes placed into situations unfavorable to you, yet come out victorious. Such an event happened where I was up against 2 warriors and 3 archers against just me. I ended up taking out both warriors and an archer before the other 2 killed me. I could have possibly won but didn't all because I didn't have a shield! So if you are good enough, skill does makes the difference! It's possible to take on a small group by yourself if you are smart enough! And that is just the best feeling to pull off stuff like that! The archer class is pretty fun too and gives you a break from melee combat if you've done it for a long time. It takes a bit to get used to but its neat to make a snipe from far away while at the same time saving a friend! Overall I feel it was well worth it, the combat is fun. The classes seem unique for the most part. And from visiting the forums, the developers really seem like they are going to update this game and stick with it. This game has a LOT of promise in my opinion. And if the modding community really wanted to, they could make some amazing things from this. I think this game was 100% worth the money. I don't really see much of the things some people are giving this a bad score for. Either they updated it to fix these issues or its personal opinion. For being a new game I think it has a very nice start. Expand
  95. Jan 3, 2013
    This is wonderful game.Amazing game. Like travel in time machine to the medieval. The combat is better than any other melee game I've played. Must buy.
  96. Jan 10, 2013
    Game is FUN. All 4 Classes are surprisingly well balanced and useful when played properly. Melee Combat is varied and surprisingly deep. You have enough abilities at your disposal to make fights fun, interesting and intense. Few games I have ever played in my life have come close to giving me the satisfaction I get after decapitating someone after an epic duel. At a minimum this game is an 8, but I gave it a 9 because of the low price and on faith that the Devs will come through on their promises of free updates. My biggest complaint right now is the small number of maps available.

If you see a steam sale for this game, buy it. you won't regret it.
  97. Jan 12, 2013
    After putting just over 7 hours into Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, I have a conclusion on my thoughts. To start the graphics are one of the most detailed and in depth ones I have ever seen in any game, never mind an indie game. The sounds on this game are very responsive, it's almost as if you can actually feel the sword hit the player/bot - almost as if you're actually there. The hit detection for me is perfect, it wouldn't matter if someone had their shield up or not, if you swing at their hand the chances are they're going to lose it. However I have only played around 4 hours of the game actually on multiplayer, if you're looking for an easy, relaxing, non stressful game then this isn't for you. However! For those of you which want intense fighting, great visuals and sound, a good fight and an incredibly fun game then you better log onto Steam and buy this game! In conclusion I have given this game a 9/10, I would have given it a 10 but I'm going to be picky and pick out one thing I don't like about the game - BOTS! For me, I love playing against bots which are just as challenging as players sometimes but there is no difficulty setting for these bots and to be honest they are pretty stupid bots. I know it sounds like I'm knit-picking, that's because I am! I've never gave a game 10/10 because I've never played a perfect game but this is as close to perfect as you'll get for this genre of game. Expand
  98. Jan 27, 2013
    Jogo muito bom e consegue revolucionar o fps medieval.
    Acredito que seja o melhor do genero, unico problema sao os lags e bugs.
    Mas vale muito apena jogar ele.
  99. Jan 28, 2013
    Brought this while half-price on Steam which I'd say is right price point for this game. It's not deep but it is very fun, violent and unique. It starts off a little frustrating due to what initially feels like sluggish attack moves, but once you've got to grips with timing then it's all fine. In fact the same delay in attacks what enables you to dodge and block blows effectively making it all work well in balance.
    Overall it's not got big studio production values, but enough polish to accomplish it's goals perfectly well, which include decent net code for finding matches and smooth multiplayer action.
  100. Jan 30, 2013
    Wow, what a useless game. When I saw the other reviews and the generally favorable score, I thought this would be quite fun. Alas, it was not to be. First, the servers for the game don't work. You might end up in a server that is broken either in playing speed or some other way that will slip past the other "clogged" (broken) servers. If you do get in a server, expect serious lag, loads of different bugs (shields not working either out of combat or in, guards not working, or lag to ruin that perfect hit), and a generally unplayable game. This is not the beta, mind! This was released as a full game at an exorbitant price for brokenness. Have I mentioned lag enough times? Overall, can't believe I wasted my money, even paying only half price on a Steam sale. Do yourself a favor, skip over this one and keep moving. Expand
  101. Oct 18, 2012

1. Feb 26, 2013
    A multiplayer experience that offers a realistic point of view of the Medieval melee battles. It's not fit for everyone, but if you get past the glitches and the high difficulty curve, you'll find an enjoyable and addictive game.
    Chivalry is slightly… bipolar. The spectacle of a duel (especially if the two opponents are seasoned veterans) can be spectacularly breath-taking, a complex choreography that one can only marvel at. Blocks, feints, slashes, back-steps, side-hits: despite initial impressions, this can be a truly intellectual game of tactics, requiring high skills, observation and deviousness. On the other hand, the spectacle of a massive battle of fifty warriors can be ridiculously chaotic: especially if the players are inexperienced and go for blind “hack and slash” tactics, it’s more like a metal concert mosh pit than a battle for glory and honor. [February 2013]
  3. Feb 1, 2013
    Chivalry is Quake to War of the Roses' Battlefield, and those seeking a faster-paced bloodier experience will undoubtedly prefer Chivalry's type of steel. [March 2013, p.65]