7.9

1. Oct 16, 2012
    Buy this game! The combat is better than any other melee game I've played. its hard to believe this is from an indie studio. If you like fast paced, smart, melee combat, this game is for you.
  2. Oct 16, 2012
    This game is made of 100% pure epicness, it really does the job of getting you into a medieval battle. Combat is fluid and complex, graphics top notch for being indie, great active community oh and did I mention most of their dlc and expansions will be free?
  3. Oct 16, 2012
    I'm not sure, but all signs point to it being Age of Chivalry (old Source mod) remake.
    Even though it didn't exactly leave beta status, judging by amount of stuff missing, occasional server drops and UI problems, it's still nicely playable, looks good in every aspect and is most fun you can have in medieval slashing game.
    Compared to recent War of the Roses, Chivalry:MW beats it in every
    Compared to recent War of the Roses, Chivalry:MW beats it in every aspect, being better thought out and having much better controls.

Few patches, extra game modes, and it'll be perfect.
  4. Oct 16, 2012
    Now as an alpha tester for the game, I'd love to give it a ten, but I simply cannot. As of today, Tuesday October 16, 2012, there remains the issue of balancing and polishing the game. For the past 4 months I saw the game go from a fun, but hardly playable game, to a mostly well polished game. All in all, I recommend buying it now, but expect there to be much more work done to the game,Now as an alpha tester for the game, I'd love to give it a ten, but I simply cannot. As of today, Tuesday October 16, 2012, there remains the issue of balancing and polishing the game. For the past 4 months I saw the game go from a fun, but hardly playable game, to a mostly well polished game. All in all, I recommend buying it now, but expect there to be much more work done to the game, and a lot of time you would have thought you would have done something productive with stolen by Chivalry. Expand
  5. Oct 29, 2012
    Right, so I don't know why people compare this game to Mount and Blade so much; apart from taking place in a realistic (no magic) medieval setting, the two games are worlds apart. To make it short, this is game is basically Counter Strike: 1100 AD. What's nice, though, is that you don't have any players who headshot you before you can blink now, because it's the middle ages and you can'tRight, so I don't know why people compare this game to Mount and Blade so much; apart from taking place in a realistic (no magic) medieval setting, the two games are worlds apart. To make it short, this is game is basically Counter Strike: 1100 AD. What's nice, though, is that you don't have any players who headshot you before you can blink now, because it's the middle ages and you can't do that! What you do have is a cathartically fun first-person-slasher that is everything its predecessor (Age of Chivalry) was, made better by new voice-acting, better class/equipment organization, and the Unreal engine. There are a couple of bugs here and there, but nothing too drastic. Honestly, I can't give this game anything less than a 10 because I've yet to find a better way to have fun with my computer. Expand
  6. Oct 16, 2012
    Fantastic sounds, visuals, level design and gameplay come together to make a very special game. It is very immersive, and the battles are intense and violent. There is alot of skill involved In the combat system-- slashes, overheads and stabs can be freely controlled by the mouse to try to get around oppenents blocks, likewise, you must aim your block free form against the angle of theFantastic sounds, visuals, level design and gameplay come together to make a very special game. It is very immersive, and the battles are intense and violent. There is alot of skill involved In the combat system-- slashes, overheads and stabs can be freely controlled by the mouse to try to get around oppenents blocks, likewise, you must aim your block free form against the angle of the incoming attack.

It is addictively fun and their are several gamemodes to enjoy- Team Objective, King of the HIll, Last Team Standing, Free for all and team deathmatch. My favorite is team objective, where team work is necessary to complete objectives to open next objectives and parts of the map on the way to total victory.

I find myself laughing hysterically at the medieval mishaps that can happen. Play with a friend to double the laughter! Highly recommended. This game is one of a kind.
  7. Oct 16, 2012
    This game is simply awesome. The combat system is great and the battles are intense! I definitely recommend picking this game up. The $24.99 price is a steal.. I would have had no problem paying $50 for this game.
  8. Oct 17, 2012
    One word. Amazing. I never played the beta, and watched a trailer of the game on youtube and took the dive. My god, did I chose the right decision! This game is insanely fun to play, and the completely best part about it - combat is 100% skill based. In a 1v1 situation, the better player will win every time, there is no "rock-paper-scissors" style like there is in WotR. The combat isOne word. Amazing. I never played the beta, and watched a trailer of the game on youtube and took the dive. My god, did I chose the right decision! This game is insanely fun to play, and the completely best part about it - combat is 100% skill based. In a 1v1 situation, the better player will win every time, there is no "rock-paper-scissors" style like there is in WotR. The combat is amazing, parrying/blocking/dodging your opponents attack feels immensely satisfying when you land that killing blow because of it. This is old school server style, no match-making which makes it so you never feel a sense of community or whatnot, if you play on the same server all the time you're going to see familiar faces, and be on friendly terms with players. This only leads to a more exciting experience because you will have grudge-matches against specific players, or find out you play well with another and can join up on the same team. This is what makes a game last a very long time, and I think this game has a very good future ahead. I also wanted to touch base with the tutorial - besides 2-3 misspelled words (that I caught) the way they did the tutorial is really rather fun. I suggest everyone do everything in the tutorial before you join a multiplayer game because there are many tactics that they teach you which are needed to have a good online experience (stopping your attack by hitting q, leading to a 'trick-play' for example). If you're on the ropes about buying this game, I hope I helped you out a little bit. They have also said they are going to release free DLC in the future. Expand
  9. Oct 23, 2012
    At a glance, I was skeptical of this game, since I didn't know of it during it's development. I decided to splurge and buy a 4 pack on Steam, for me and my friends. The first few games I had I was totally confused with the controls (Even with prior experience with similar games), but after being explained the proper controls the game instantly became one of my favorites. The crashing andAt a glance, I was skeptical of this game, since I didn't know of it during it's development. I decided to splurge and buy a 4 pack on Steam, for me and my friends. The first few games I had I was totally confused with the controls (Even with prior experience with similar games), but after being explained the proper controls the game instantly became one of my favorites. The crashing and bugs are to be expected even after release due to being developed by a small indie developer. These problems are easily changed with a few hot fixes and patches which the team so far have been making quite frequently. As a user of Eyefinity, It requires a little configuration to work, which is actually way easier to setup then most games.

I can't wait to see what is to come from this game with the incoming release of mod tools.
  10. Nov 18, 2012
    ah, chivalry. I used to play the mod: Age of chivalry with my mates back in the days when it came out, it rocked!. This game though, does not.

First of all, the game looks great visualy and the gritty look is great! Sounds are on ''ok''-tier in my opinnion. Controls on the other hand arent that great. Moving and attacks feel laggy, janky and really unpredictable. Attacks dont connect half the time, even when its a clear torso hit, blocks are so random, and the lack of directional blocking is a great miss, And its stupid when you block an greatsword attack (that has the weight of the sword + strenght of the attacked, plus the momentum behind it) with a small dagger. Your shield wont block attacks when its on your back, wait what. Yes you can have a humansized shield on your back and it wont protect you, yep.

Game has a small unlock system, in which you kill players with a certain weapon to unlock a new weapon on the same tier. This has no place in the game on my opinion and the mod age of chivalry did this right, there was more classes in which the weapons were balanced out, here you only have 4 classes to choose from that have unlockable weapons.

Game modes

-FFA: total and utter **** imagine you are in a small 25meters x 25meters arena, with 31 other players, you spawn and you die 5 seconds later! Even if you manage to live the first 10 seconds and get into a duel, someone from behind will come and kill you with one swing to the head OR steal your kill.

TDM: much more fun than FFA thats for sure. Still, its a mayhem if you wont be killed by enemies in 3v1 situacion youl get killed by that noob on your team that attacks with sweep attacks only.

Objective: Its fun, on the defence, when you only have to walk 10 seconds into the objective when you respawn, attackers have to make a 1 minute run to the objective at the end of it. This mode could be fun if the attackers respawn would move as you go on, but no, it only moves when you complete the objective. This results in frustration, when you die, you respawn, then you run to your objective for 30-60 seconds only to find out that you are the only one there, aginst 3-6 defenders that murder you, rinse and repeat.

Pros

-Visualy nice looking game
    -Gritty and brutal

Cons
    -23 euros for a dumbed down mod
    -Controls, attacks and blocking feels janky and laggy
    -unlock system does not benefit anyone in anyway
    -Respawns are really ****ty for the attackers side on the objective mode
  11. Dec 8, 2012
    This game was on my watch list ever since I saw some footage of it. But it failed to deliver on most of the grounds promised. It is a poor game, and honestly, War of the Roses beats it in almost every aspect.

Pros: Gore and Brutality are very high in Chivalry, adding a sense of realism and depth to the game. Ambiance: Battle cries echo the battlefield, screams of the dying are

Pros:
    Ambiance: Battle cries echo the battlefield, screams of the dying are overwhelming, adding realism to the game.
    Game Modes: Chivalry posesses a lot of game modes. This adds variety to your playing.

Cons:
    Slow, Unresponsive melee combat
    Terrible hitboxes
    Glaring imbalances
    Terrible archery system
    It doesn't matter if you use a piercing, blunt, or slashing weapon, the penetrate armor all the same.
    Servers rotate game modes every game, so you have to leave and rejoin another server if you want to keep playing your favorite game mode.
    Lastly, the in-game class selection is TERRIBLE. You have to re-select your weapons every time you want to change a class. This gets annoying very quickly.

Final verdict: 4/10
    I would buy it for $5, but any more than that, it is simply not worth it.
  12. Nov 19, 2012
    I simply cannot believe this game has any good ratings at all. The combat is choppy and completely non-fluid, internet play is laggy, controls are worthless, cheesy soundtrack (at times), are just some of the many things horrible wrong here. While I will give it points for a unique concept I can't like it for much else.
  13. Oct 16, 2012
    This is by far the best FPS (S for slasher LOL) melee game I have ever played. It has great Counter-Strike/COD style multiplayer game modes. I was skeptical to try out a FPS melee game but I have to admit they did it right. Combat is amazing, graphics are great especially for indie, and the sounds of battle in the game really add to it. Highly recommend you do the training before you playThis is by far the best FPS (S for slasher LOL) melee game I have ever played. It has great Counter-Strike/COD style multiplayer game modes. I was skeptical to try out a FPS melee game but I have to admit they did it right. Combat is amazing, graphics are great especially for indie, and the sounds of battle in the game really add to it. Highly recommend you do the training before you play a multiplayer game or you will just get stomped. Expand
  14. Oct 22, 2012
    As polished and appealing as this game is, it still fails to distinguish itself from the countless other free medieval warfare mods besides a small bump in graphics at the cost of 23 euro which will plague this game with a lack of players in the coming weeks.
  15. Oct 23, 2012
    I am so disappointed with both this game and with WotR. WotR was disappointing when it came out, so I had sort of low expectations for this game, but even that didn't make this game playable :/. It had promised a lot of realism, and that tactics should be vital, but it just isn't. People are running around all over the place, and it just seem so chaotic to me. I don't know what I'mI am so disappointed with both this game and with WotR. WotR was disappointing when it came out, so I had sort of low expectations for this game, but even that didn't make this game playable :/. It had promised a lot of realism, and that tactics should be vital, but it just isn't. People are running around all over the place, and it just seem so chaotic to me. I don't know what I'm grading here really, the game or the players, because none of the players are playing as with tactics, so that's really what's making the gameplay suck. I really believe this is a waste of money, and if you're really desperate for a game like this, I would say buy War of the Roses, even if that is no sunshine either. Expand
  16. Oct 23, 2012
    This game is moderately fun to play, for a little while. After taking a closer look at the game, you will find just how bad the character animations really are. The combatants run like they are intoxicated with a football stuck in their backside, and the attacks are very clunky. This is an Indie game, and you can tell. I would have felt comfortable paying $10, not $25. This game is not asThis game is moderately fun to play, for a little while. After taking a closer look at the game, you will find just how bad the character animations really are. The combatants run like they are intoxicated with a football stuck in their backside, and the attacks are very clunky. This is an Indie game, and you can tell. I would have felt comfortable paying $10, not $25. This game is not as good as Warband or War of the Roses, and any of these fanboys who say otherwise and rip this review are kidding themselves. The large maps with nice scenery help the overall look of the game, but the awful character animations are this game's undoing. Expand
  17. Jul 24, 2013
    Fun game with little depth. The joy of brutally killing other players is nice, but the mechanics fall short making it a slasher with little skill involved. This game will provide some thrills, but I would only pick it up on sale.
  18. Jul 21, 2013
    This game is addictive and can make the hours fly by. One minute you'll be cackling evily, the next you'll be slamming your mouse in fury. Fun stuff aside, the game is buggy, and pretty heavy on the system resources considering how it looks. That said, it's an indie title and you expect that going in. All things considered, Chivalry is very solid and addictive title that's definitely worthThis game is addictive and can make the hours fly by. One minute you'll be cackling evily, the next you'll be slamming your mouse in fury. Fun stuff aside, the game is buggy, and pretty heavy on the system resources considering how it looks. That said, it's an indie title and you expect that going in. All things considered, Chivalry is very solid and addictive title that's definitely worth $6 on a steam sale. Expand
  19. May 27, 2013
    I don't normally write reviews for games..but this one I had to. This is the most fun I've had with any game in a long time. It's like Counter Strike but with swords and shields. The blocking system is awesome but a bit hard to master. The all out slaughter fest makes me laugh and giggle. The gore, lopping peoples heads off, getting your own damn head lopped off makes me chuckle. It's allI don't normally write reviews for games..but this one I had to. This is the most fun I've had with any game in a long time. It's like Counter Strike but with swords and shields. The blocking system is awesome but a bit hard to master. The all out slaughter fest makes me laugh and giggle. The gore, lopping peoples heads off, getting your own damn head lopped off makes me chuckle. It's all very well done. I got it on sale but knowing how awesome this game is I'd pay full price. I've so far only put 5 hours in. I have played a couple team games but I normally hit up the all for all type. The weapon leveling system is really cool too as it allows me to go out of my comfort zone of weapons I prefer and try out others. I highly recommend this game. Expand
  20. Jun 9, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played. Anyone who writes bad review on this game probably has a crappy computer that doesn't run it well. The game is awesome if your computer can handle graphics.
  21. Jul 27, 2013
    An all time favourite. Ever wanted to go back to medieval times and kick some ass? Well, instead of going through the trouble of inventing a time machine and running the risk of getting your head chopped off, followed by being eaten by pigeons (which is very likely if you're reading this), get this game.
  22. Apr 17, 2014
    Extremely high amount of glitches, terrible community and exploits make this game terrible. It has very little depth, terrible balance, and fights are won by the person who have the highest mouse sensitivity and can drag their overhead downwards faster than the other or are fine with feinting, or extreme dragging. Hit detection is awful and clunky. You can stab past someone and then slowlyExtremely high amount of glitches, terrible community and exploits make this game terrible. It has very little depth, terrible balance, and fights are won by the person who have the highest mouse sensitivity and can drag their overhead downwards faster than the other or are fine with feinting, or extreme dragging. Hit detection is awful and clunky. You can stab past someone and then slowly move your weapon into them after they blocked and deal the full damage, while they have no way of knowing you were going to miss or have any way of blocking, because instead of using a Pirates Vikings & Knights/Mount & Blade-type blocking system, they decided to make a boring 1-button system, where you RMB to block any and all attacks, but can only do it for a small amount of time. Knights can just sprint around, not even looking at you and feint attack you or do extreme drags/reverse overheads hitting you instantly, regardless of being out of stamina. They will only become staggered if they need to parry, which they don't really have to when they're sprinting and have a faster or more powerful weapon than you and can either kill you in one hit (the Maul can kill you instantly) or just hit you a bunch of times with a spammy facehug weapon. As a side note, the reverse overhead is an attack where you face away from your enemy, do an ordinary overhead attack, and before the weapon goes over your head you hit them, and they take full damage, as they would with an ordinary overhead attack. The effects of getting hit are terrible as well. They don't seem like an actual attack, more like just poking a naked man with a somewhat sharp stick. Any methodical combat is completely ruined by the ability of just feinting or dragging your attacks, completely ruining any fight. I tried to give the game a few more tries, but I just couldn't after they released the "Elite knight pack," which adds new armor for $9 (per team, so it becomes $18 if you want to have your DLC more than half the time in a team battle), which makes sense to release now, especially because the game is so complete, with the quarterstaff and pole hammer not having its range parameter specified, and the occasional bug that causes people to literally be immortal, and completely unable to die (happened on several occasions). So, of course the first thing you should do is pay for customization. This game should have been in development for a much longer time, as it's clearly not finished. I lost all the respect for Torn Banner I ever had. Expand
  23. Jul 26, 2013
    Best melee combat game I've played. The combat is quite deep, but no so complicated that you can't just jump in and start lopping off heads straight away (just avoid high ranked people).
    There's a good amount of game modes. FFA, Duel, TDM, Capture the Flag, Last Team Standing and the best mode, Team Objective which has teams competing to attack or defend many varied objectives, like burning a town and killing all the peasants, to dumping corpses in a cistern, to sieging a castle and killing the king!
    There 6 main weapons and 6 secondary weapons for each of the 4 classes to unlock, which won't take very long but will take a bit of dedication.
    The 4 classes all feel very different. There are archers, who use crossbows, bows, javelins and slings, speedy man at arms who use light one handed weapons and can dodge around the place. Vanguards have the longest reaching weapons, including polearms and can do special sprint attacks. Knights are the tankiest class, with some of the heaviest hitting weapons like the maul. They are also have bastard swords, which they can wield 2 handed or with a kite or tower shield.

Very good game, I highly recommend to everyone, even if you've not really touched the genre of First Person Slashers, because fresh meat is always good.
  24. Feb 5, 2014
    Seriously, if you're going to make a game this glitchy and buggy, maybe you shouldn't have ads you can't skip every time you boot the game after it crashes.

Fun game, but poor coding kills it.
  25. Jul 23, 2013
    The game is good, but it has so many problems. Bugs everywhere, really there is invisible walls almost on every step. Bad optimization, my computer is able to have starcraft 2 and skyrim on ultra graphics, but this game finds way to lag even and medium resolution. But i could forgive al that, but there is one huge balance issue. Vanguards, the problem is that this class is: theThe game is good, but it has so many problems. Bugs everywhere, really there is invisible walls almost on every step. Bad optimization, my computer is able to have starcraft 2 and skyrim on ultra graphics, but this game finds way to lag even and medium resolution. But i could forgive al that, but there is one huge balance issue. Vanguards, the problem is that this class is: the fastest,highest damage, have biggest weapon range, stun, 2nd highest armor, and all what you need is to stab... When marines are dying from one hit, archers are able to survive only behind teammates or camping in spawn, and knights and the most balanced (strong, but slow).Winning vanguard is very hard, what makes an amaizing expierience, a worst nighmare. But the gore and "meat" gives this game a big But all those screams and heads flying cant keep you in that world for more than 3-14 days. With friends its amaizing game, i really hope, that maybe in 2nd chivalry we will have fix in balance lags, bugs, optimization and this will make the game being an awesome experience. Expand
  26. Jun 27, 2013
    Definitely get this game.

It is the most well thought out, put together game I've played in a long time. Personally, it has infinite replay value and only gets more fun. There is blood, guts, exploding heads, fisting, and requires a ton of skill.

I recommend this game to everyone I know who enjoys video games, and I've heard no complaints yet!
  27. Jul 27, 2013
    Great game, good graphics and very, very funny!
    For me there are no major problems, just some small bug (but progr are fix all) and sometimes the lag, but it is still the best game of its kind for my taste.

Perfect!
  28. Jul 29, 2013
    Initially i really wasn't that fond of this game however after playing it again recently i have come to the conclusion that i completely misjudged it. Once you get used to the combat system you can appreciate how well made this game is, for me it was the duel mode which changed my mind and team objective mode gives you a different experience than whats offered from similar games.Initially i really wasn't that fond of this game however after playing it again recently i have come to the conclusion that i completely misjudged it. Once you get used to the combat system you can appreciate how well made this game is, for me it was the duel mode which changed my mind and team objective mode gives you a different experience than whats offered from similar games.

Unfortunately the achievements are completely bugged out and some just cant be unlocked even if you have done whats required to earn them. The only other drawback is the lack of maps which can make game play a little stale after going through the same map time after time. All of this could be fixed by a patch and a little DLC (hopefully free)

The game gets a 7 but with some new maps and the achievements fixed its easily an 8.
  29. Jul 21, 2013
    It's hard but very fun, you can never know everything about this game. They are always adding new mapsweapons content for free. Custom map making also just came out. So users can make their own maps. Big community always able to find full games in seconds.
  30. Jul 27, 2013
    This is a very, VERY good game! The weapon unlock system is the best I have seen is a long time!
    It has a few glitches, but what game doesn't? It is worth every single penny!
    The only thing they could try to fix is the camping archers! I mean when you play team objective, sometimes it is impossible to complete it!
  31. Aug 2, 2013
    Epic!
    This game is an absolute blast, provided that you do these two simple things:
    - Play it with your friends. Preferably together, but online works too. - Don't take it too seriously. People who are obsessed with stats like their KDR should stick with Call of Dooty, as this game will frustrate you to no end. However, if you can forget about stats and scores, and can just run into
    Epic!
    This game is an absolute blast, provided that you do these two simple things:
    - Play it with your friends. Preferably together, but online works too.
    - Don't take it too seriously. People who are obsessed with stats like their KDR should stick with Call of Dooty, as this game will frustrate you to no end. However, if you can forget about stats and scores, and can just run into battle, swords a'blazin', the game becomes exponentially more fun. See the previous bullet point; this becomes even more fun when you have friends by your side to laugh and shout with.
    This game takes itself super seriously. But that doesn't mean you have to! The over-the-top gore and wonky ragdoll physics are a lot more funny than they are serious.
    So, if you can do the two things listed above, I would strongly recommend you download this game at once!
    Sally forth!
  32. May 17, 2014
    Was shocked to see so many people rate this game so highly.
    Was shocked to see so many people rate this game so highly.
    The best feedback I can give is this; I felt dizzy after playing it for only 10 minutes. The way the opponents run around like demented, speed induced freaks and attack makes it ridiculous to judge correctly and make a choice of attack. I spent more time spinning around trying to find the character, only for him to spin off again in another direction. My successful attacks were down to nothing more than pure luck.
    Truly awful game engine, and nothing whatsoever compared to how Mount and Blade plays which is off the scale superior to this garbage.
  33. Feb 15, 2014
    Horrible game

Horrible game

I thought it looked like a cool game and was recommended by some others that I've played games with in the past. I will One of the things I read about it was that it was "easy to learn, hard to master." Easy to learn could not be any more untrue about this game, although hard to master couldn't be any more true. This game has very unresponsive controls and several working mechanics, which make the playstyle very cumbersome. This makes the entire playstyle very wonky... I would often find myself unable to hit anything... sometimes I would be right in someones face, crosshair on the chest and STILL missing. Other times, I would click the button several seconds before the initiation of the swing, only to find the fruits of my effort wasted because the other player would be able to dash in and hit me before I could connect.

Overall, I had a horrible experience and I want my money back. If you have a lot of patience, free time, and money to burn, I guess give it a try. If you don't, save your money and go elsewhere.
  34. Jun 8, 2014
    This game has the potential to be a excellent game. I purchased the game in 2012 and played till summer of 2013. When I played in 2012 it was the bomb best game I had played in a while and by far the best community, then at the begging of the summer things were still great but not as good, people were still amazing and fighting system was good feints were balanced along with most weapons,This game has the potential to be a excellent game. I purchased the game in 2012 and played till summer of 2013. When I played in 2012 it was the bomb best game I had played in a while and by far the best community, then at the begging of the summer things were still great but not as good, people were still amazing and fighting system was good feints were balanced along with most weapons, only problem was people had found the reverse swing exploit and man of arms was to op. I think stopped the game for a series I liked even more total war (great series) and stopped playing chivalry. I came back this week and tried to play chivalry as total war required an update and I was too lazy to install it since it was a few gb large. I was devastated by what I saw. The game had gone form a amazing game that was the top of melee fighting games with the best fighting system I have ever seen to the most **** game if our time. The community had gone to something from CoD and the melee system was broken as **** Everyone was spamming feints running in circles and reverse hitting. I found out that the game has since became laggier do to updates involving new customisation and a rush of poor dlc's with ripoff prices. All weapons were unbalanced and op, claymore, poleaxe, great sword, bearded axe were so op it wasn't even funny,all maa weps were pretty op along with vg. Vg and Maa are only classes played anymore it seems and I can tell why, op,op,op,op,op dodge and stab spam from maa, and then super fast, long and maul lvl dmg weps from vg and their reach and speed allows them to run around opponents spam hits and avoid swings by running not to mention reverse overhead spam. the new animations are like stick figures. Also, I do not really get drags, players can now do 0-1mph swings to the toe and explode their opponents faces also counters from maa weps and vg weps are fast as **** and counter look down is just stupidly fast and need to be removes or they need to change it. To sum it up now this game fighting mechanics are crap the fluidity of the game is crap, the community is crap, and it even more crap because beside making all of those things worse nothing has been added I mean yes a few helms and wep paints that have nothing to do with the game, vg and maa must be nerfed to op so op where not fun to play with even let alone play against. The only reason why I did not give a 0 is because I think TB can still make the game better and the fact that a few good, nice players who are fun to fight are still around. To make me give this game a 9-10 which I would have in 2012 they need to change a few things. I would honestly play the game again if they did this: first change the animations and everything involving melee and blocking to who they were in 2012 block are too slow and if you panic or misclick I think you should have the chance to block again, this being said blocks need to be faster to block feints and I think this would be good. I think they need to add upon chivalry, take out the updates that are causing every server to lag, and add new weps, and give option to customise armour, also add more free helms like lvl 50 helm thing and such, and after certain level or achievement I think people should have the choice ti change the armour not just the helm this would be a big improvement. They also need to add new and better maps then the recent ones, however I do like the one where you have to burn a village, and pls pls pls add more maps made for duelling and scrims such as moor. I forgot to mention this but it would be amazing if the reset the animations and melee and block to how it was in 2012 just fix the bugs that there was in the animations in 2012. Where was I ah yes and if those things happened the good community would come back that I had learned to love not this **** community that is arguably worse the CoD. One more thing DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT remove glitches from maps as in ones were u can get to secret places but do not interfere with animations it is the only reason why I still play and it is quite fun to glitch to these secret places and more ppl enjoy it then you might think. Now I know that what I ask will never probably happen and will not be seen, even if it is seen I doubt that TB would listen to any of it since it would take so much effort and time to make these improvements to the game as it is now. I mean its just sad how they keep making it worse and worse each update how could they think it is better then it was in 2012 if you don't believe me just look at the other reviews 10 10 10 in 2012 and go lower as time passes.

gameplay: 0/10

classes/weps: 0/10

community: -10/10

maps: 3/10

dlcs: 0/10

customization: 5/10

and it used to be all 10s or 9s out of 10 I want the old chiv back :'(
  35. Jan 11, 2013
    Considering the cheap price, this game really delivers. I never thought I would be having so much fun with a melee multiplayer game. The sound effects are awesome. There is something realistic to hearing choking/gurgling coming from a fallen opponent after you stabbed him with a spear. It's basically a mix of counter strike (with swords) and team fortress. While the graphics lookConsidering the cheap price, this game really delivers. I never thought I would be having so much fun with a melee multiplayer game. The sound effects are awesome. There is something realistic to hearing choking/gurgling coming from a fallen opponent after you stabbed him with a spear. It's basically a mix of counter strike (with swords) and team fortress. While the graphics look outdated, the fun gameplay makes up the difference which is really what counts in the end. Expand
  36. Jan 13, 2013
    This game is a breath of fresh air. Its obviously not a triple-A title and you can tell due to the clunky UI and sub-par sound. This is however an amazing indie game with incredible depth. You can spend hundreds of hours learning the combat in the game. One of the best games I have played recently.
  37. Jan 1, 2013
    This game started out extremely frustrating.This game gets better with experience; Rewarding when you get the timing down for attacks while managing your stamina. The combat needs some tweeks but nothing too serious. 10 for me simply because it captures everything I expected in a medieval FPS.!!
  38. May 31, 2013
    Fun. Hillarious, roaring fun. It's funny that in an industry devoted to fun, it is rare to find a game that makes you laugh out loud, even as your head and various body parts are scattered all over a grassy plain where birds sing blissfully over the carnage. Of course there are glitches and bugs, more than you would expect to find in an AAA title, but this is NOT an AAA title, it's anFun. Hillarious, roaring fun. It's funny that in an industry devoted to fun, it is rare to find a game that makes you laugh out loud, even as your head and various body parts are scattered all over a grassy plain where birds sing blissfully over the carnage. Of course there are glitches and bugs, more than you would expect to find in an AAA title, but this is NOT an AAA title, it's an indie game which has managed to be more enjoyable than many "big names" out there. In multiplayer. Someone mentioned "sub-par" sound in an otherwise very positive review. For me, it's one of the strongest points of the game. The sound of steel clashing with steel or thudding against shield is as epic as the over the top battle cries and taunts are hillarious. And the melee combat, despite the glitches, is still the best I've seen in any medieval themed videogame to date, hands down. Expand
  39. Oct 29, 2013
    This is the game that has amazing potential. Sadly that's all there is, since none of that potential has been used.
    Fanboys will rate this game with 10pts and praise it even with its flawed to point where it can be considered as broken.
    I was going to write a long list of unbalanced stuff about the game but let's just keep it short. Great idea for the game, very bad execution,
    Great idea for the game, very bad execution, nonexistent physics.
    Buy only if it's on sale for VERY cheap.
  40. Oct 19, 2013
    One of the worst games I have ever played in my life. I'm not complaining about how sluggish it is, I expected that before I played the game due to its gritty medieval fighting style. It is just how much is in this game.
  41. Dec 3, 2012
    Has some technical issues which are not at all surprising considering it's an indie title and half the price of a big box game. I feel that in the end though the price makes this a great buy. The unique combat experience and fun, enveloping maps give this game a big thumbs up from me. It takes some learning to get steady kills in but its worth it. I wasn't sure how I felt about this gameHas some technical issues which are not at all surprising considering it's an indie title and half the price of a big box game. I feel that in the end though the price makes this a great buy. The unique combat experience and fun, enveloping maps give this game a big thumbs up from me. It takes some learning to get steady kills in but its worth it. I wasn't sure how I felt about this game until a free for all kill everybody match started. This was the most fun I've had in an online game in a long time. Attacking the rear of a group of knights trying to take down a weakened opponent like a pack of wolves and after damaging the health of one in back the rest turn on him with you and he become the target. Then it comes down to you and the last of the group and the battle rages on. Expand
  42. Dec 27, 2012
    I dove into this game expecting a third person MMO PvP experience and got just that. As long as the dev's come out with what they're promising this game will deserve it's 10/10.
  43. Jan 31, 2013
    Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is by far the best online game i have ever played. I think it even surpasses Call of Duty Black Ops one and two. It has great detail and looks like much time was spent in it's creation. I hope this review help, AdamXN
  44. Feb 1, 2013
    This game is very addicting!!! I played the free weekend on steam and i was amazed! The atmosphere is so bloody and furious! The accuracy of the sound and atmosphere is perfect! If you are looking for a laugh with your mates! This game is perfect! I only scored it a 9 because of the price. I'd wait for it to be on offer. £18 is a bit too much.
  45. Nov 8, 2013
    Neither fun or enjoyable, this is a huge step back from the original mod Age of Chivalry in almost every way. Everything is simplified and restricted which seems to be the trend these days unfortunately.
  46. Dec 21, 2012
    As much as I want to like this game I can't bring myself to give it a high score. I was really excited to play this and I thought it was actually going to be like a tactical melee medieval game. IN NO WAY IS IT TACTICAL. People are fighting in the masses which isn't a bad thing if there was any tactic to this. There is no strategy or skill involved in this game. Just charge in andAs much as I want to like this game I can't bring myself to give it a high score. I was really excited to play this and I thought it was actually going to be like a tactical melee medieval game. IN NO WAY IS IT TACTICAL. People are fighting in the masses which isn't a bad thing if there was any tactic to this. There is no strategy or skill involved in this game. Just charge in and hack and slash everything you see is what this game is composed of. This isn't even the worst part. The hit detection is terrible; most of the hits you get in and attacks you block make no sense whatsoever. When it seems like you should've hit the other player or blocked an attack it doesn't happen! Incredibly broken. It gets really annoying when you switch classes as well; everytime you choose a class you have to set up your weaponry all over again. It'd be nice to see some sort of loadout instead of having to choose everything individually. The graphics are fine. I don't care for graphics as long as it's enjoyable but the gritty style put on by this game looks great. Sounds are mediocre at best but decent enough. Plenty of variation in game types. Classes are rather unbalanced though considering some classes run much too quickly or other classes run much to slow when in battle. This game really needed some polishing before release and for $25 it was not worth it. There is some enjoyment in this game especially when crushing someone's skull in and reigning victorious but I still don't recommend this game, but will definitely change this review if this game would get an update to fix how stupendously broken this game is. Expand
  47. Apr 1, 2013
    I tried to like this game. I really, really tried, but I just can't. I love the setting, love the gore, the simple yet allowing finesse fighting system. But the hit detection and block detection completely SUCK MONKEY BOTTOM. And that's the most important thing in the game! Many times my spear thrusts were going through an opponents chest without scratching him when he doesn't have aI tried to like this game. I really, really tried, but I just can't. I love the setting, love the gore, the simple yet allowing finesse fighting system. But the hit detection and block detection completely SUCK MONKEY BOTTOM. And that's the most important thing in the game! Many times my spear thrusts were going through an opponents chest without scratching him when he doesn't have a single problem beheading me. Or blocking enemy's attack while doing as you're supposed to, aiming at the enemy's weapon tip. And yet my head flies somewhere into the bushes. And it happens all. The. Time. It is extremely frustrating when you're sitting on the edge of your seat, trying to get that hit in with a supposedly long-range swing but nope, you gonna get absolutely mutilated. It is very hard to understand your weapon's range, as on numerous occasions it seems like it should connect, yet it doesn't for some reason. Other than that the gameplay is extremely hectic, lacks any tactic or strategy (gogogo in group zerg rush rush rush hurr durr kekeke), feels lacking. I find it a waste of money...yet I keep returning to the game, hoping that maybe it's my skill or ping or planet alignment. But nope, each time it ends up with unexplainable hitbox missess and teabagging of my bloodied corpse. Yay. Do not buy, I guess.
    Graphics are nice, though.
  48. Jan 18, 2013
    Excellent multiplayer fun its all about killing stuff the old fashion way and plenty of fun to be had weather its trolling some one or been trolled its a barrel of laughs on a budget I love this game for fun times its given be but due to darkness i tend to get headaches not fault of the game just me getting old
  49. Jan 17, 2013
    One of the most unique game experiences I've had in a while. Hard to believe this is the work of an indie team! I used to be a non-believer in first person melee combat games. I always thought they were generally messy and random and needed to be in third person, but Chivalry has turned this around for me (despite actually having a 3rd person option anyway)! I just love this game!One of the most unique game experiences I've had in a while. Hard to believe this is the work of an indie team! I used to be a non-believer in first person melee combat games. I always thought they were generally messy and random and needed to be in third person, but Chivalry has turned this around for me (despite actually having a 3rd person option anyway)! I just love this game!

Everything from the great combat system to the voice acting (and amusing dialogue) and the environments put you right there in brutal medieval battles. It is even a great game to watch in spectator mode!

The devs seem passionate and caring about their game and it is great to see patches & content updates being released.

Aside from some areas that need polishing and fixing (which I'm sure they will be) it is a pretty damn solid game. I also find it seems to be graphically better (max settings) than most of the videos about.

And just who doesn't love decapitating their enemies?
  50. Jan 7, 2013
    Seriously this game is the one of best FPS on multiplay for several years.
    And the best sword fight fps !
    I strongly recommend this game to someone who gets tired of these days FPS like console multi title.
  51. Jan 1, 2013
    Once I started playing it I could hardly stop. Played about 16 hours over 2 days, just kept loading the game back up again. Imagine something with far better combat mechanics than Skyrim, and much faster action and sudden surprises than a COD/BF3 multiplayer match, and you've got this game. If you learn to play the game well you can have amazing things happen like playing a round ofOnce I started playing it I could hardly stop. Played about 16 hours over 2 days, just kept loading the game back up again. Imagine something with far better combat mechanics than Skyrim, and much faster action and sudden surprises than a COD/BF3 multiplayer match, and you've got this game. If you learn to play the game well you can have amazing things happen like playing a round of elimination deathmatch where you whole team dies off, and it's you versus 7 opponents, and you against all odds still kill them all off yourself to make a victory for your team. Also, if you aim your swing right with a warhammer, you can explode your enemy's head like a watermelon, which is a great way to feel better about yourself if you've been getting riled up about things. :) Expand
  52. Jan 14, 2013
    What a Great Concept for a videogame, This game is soooo much fun, its like CSS in the Medieval ages, Defenitly worth all of your moneys, Their is so much replay value in this game, ITS JUST SO MUCH **** FUn
  53. Dec 27, 2012
    This is a truly entertaining game. The medieval genre is very empty, but this sets a very high standard for any other medieval game to be made. The combat system is great, because you have to be very precise in aiming, and the battles themselves are good fun. It is also visually good-looking, and the lighting is often rather stunning. Objectives like poisoning the enemy's water supply, orThis is a truly entertaining game. The medieval genre is very empty, but this sets a very high standard for any other medieval game to be made. The combat system is great, because you have to be very precise in aiming, and the battles themselves are good fun. It is also visually good-looking, and the lighting is often rather stunning. Objectives like poisoning the enemy's water supply, or lighting villages on fire, provides a very good replacement to the team deathmatch-style matches (not that it doesn't have these!).
    Having said this, Chivalry feels somewhat incomplete, because it isn't polished. At all. The scoreboard in-battle is designed badly, so items often overlap each other, and the menus don't always work as one would like them to. The subtitles in the training level also get to my head - there is only a certain amount of "fightign", "im" (fighting, I'm) that I can take.
    But these bugs and unpolishedness are easily surpassed by the sheer fun to be had in the game. Chopping people's heads off after sneaking up behind them will NEVER get boring.
  54. Jan 10, 2013
    Game is FUN. All 4 Classes are surprisingly well balanced and useful when played properly. Melee Combat is varied and surprisingly deep. You have enough abilities at your disposal to make fights fun, interesting and intense. Few games I have ever played in my life have come close to giving me the satisfaction I get after decapitating someone after an epic duel. At a minimum this game isGame is FUN. All 4 Classes are surprisingly well balanced and useful when played properly. Melee Combat is varied and surprisingly deep. You have enough abilities at your disposal to make fights fun, interesting and intense. Few games I have ever played in my life have come close to giving me the satisfaction I get after decapitating someone after an epic duel. At a minimum this game is an 8, but I gave it a 9 because of the low price and on faith that the Devs will come through on their promises of free updates. My biggest complaint right now is the small number of maps available.

If you see a steam sale for this game, buy it. you won't regret it.
  55. Jan 12, 2013
    After putting just over 7 hours into Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, I have a conclusion on my thoughts. To start the graphics are one of the most detailed and in depth ones I have ever seen in any game, never mind an indie game. The sounds on this game are very responsive, it's almost as if you can actually feel the sword hit the player/bot - almost as if you're actually there. The hitAfter putting just over 7 hours into Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, I have a conclusion on my thoughts. To start the graphics are one of the most detailed and in depth ones I have ever seen in any game, never mind an indie game. The sounds on this game are very responsive, it's almost as if you can actually feel the sword hit the player/bot - almost as if you're actually there. The hit detection for me is perfect, it wouldn't matter if someone had their shield up or not, if you swing at their hand the chances are they're going to lose it. However I have only played around 4 hours of the game actually on multiplayer, if you're looking for an easy, relaxing, non stressful game then this isn't for you. However! For those of you which want intense fighting, great visuals and sound, a good fight and an incredibly fun game then you better log onto Steam and buy this game! In conclusion I have given this game a 9/10, I would have given it a 10 but I'm going to be picky and pick out one thing I don't like about the game - BOTS! For me, I love playing against bots which are just as challenging as players sometimes but there is no difficulty setting for these bots and to be honest they are pretty stupid bots. I know it sounds like I'm knit-picking, that's because I am! I've never gave a game 10/10 because I've never played a perfect game but this is as close to perfect as you'll get for this genre of game. Expand
  56. Jan 27, 2013
    Jogo muito bom e consegue revolucionar o fps medieval.
    Acredito que seja o melhor do genero, unico problema sao os lags e bugs.
    Mas vale muito apena jogar ele.
  57. Jan 28, 2013
    Brought this while half-price on Steam which I'd say is right price point for this game. It's not deep but it is very fun, violent and unique. It starts off a little frustrating due to what initially feels like sluggish attack moves, but once you've got to grips with timing then it's all fine. In fact the same delay in attacks what enables you to dodge and block blows effectively making itBrought this while half-price on Steam which I'd say is right price point for this game. It's not deep but it is very fun, violent and unique. It starts off a little frustrating due to what initially feels like sluggish attack moves, but once you've got to grips with timing then it's all fine. In fact the same delay in attacks what enables you to dodge and block blows effectively making it all work well in balance.
    Overall it's not got big studio production values, but enough polish to accomplish it's goals perfectly well, which include decent net code for finding matches and smooth multiplayer action.
  58. Mar 16, 2013
    So much fun with this game. Decapitating enemy's never gets old, the sound is awesome (EX: the death screams), The combat feels connected and meaty, the game modes are nice and varied, especially the team objectives are some much fun. My only gripe is that the game needs a bit of server optimization. You need a low ping for this game and you dont get that always even if you are connectingSo much fun with this game. Decapitating enemy's never gets old, the sound is awesome (EX: the death screams), The combat feels connected and meaty, the game modes are nice and varied, especially the team objectives are some much fun. My only gripe is that the game needs a bit of server optimization. You need a low ping for this game and you dont get that always even if you are connecting to servers very near to you. Expand
  59. Apr 5, 2013
    This game features a deep, meaningful combat system that is frequently being revised and refined into a real diamond in the rough. Directional swings, reactive combat, calculating opponents, and a high skill ceiling not to be taken lightly. If you are up for a challenge, or just want to hack and slash through hordes of enemy players online, this is the game for you. Expect much from theThis game features a deep, meaningful combat system that is frequently being revised and refined into a real diamond in the rough. Directional swings, reactive combat, calculating opponents, and a high skill ceiling not to be taken lightly. If you are up for a challenge, or just want to hack and slash through hordes of enemy players online, this is the game for you. Expect much from the devs in the future, and go to their forums. They frequently communicate with the community. Expand
  60. Dec 23, 2012
    This is the most intense melee combat you can get. Forget about AK-47, M4A1 carbine and other toys for children ! Get tools for real men like longsword, spear and other nasty deadly weapons and fight for your life. Thumbs up for torn banner keep the good work up.
  61. Feb 11, 2013
    This game is awesome. I've never played anything like this, and I know there is a very small amount of similar games available. Keeping that in mind, Chivalry is clearly a first of its kind. With that said, flaws and simplistic mechanics can be easier understood. On the surface the game is simple, but when you really get into it, those simple mechanics are hard to master. That is theThis game is awesome. I've never played anything like this, and I know there is a very small amount of similar games available. Keeping that in mind, Chivalry is clearly a first of its kind. With that said, flaws and simplistic mechanics can be easier understood. On the surface the game is simple, but when you really get into it, those simple mechanics are hard to master. That is the mark of a good multiplayer game these days in my opnion: easy to learn, hard to master. The controls are intuitive, logical, and easy to manage. The unlock system isn't a chore, and is straightforward: each class gets three different primary weapon categories, and in order to unlock the next weapon you simply just KILL! There are some glitches in the game, like getting caught on pieces of wood. The physics could be better and the game sometimes has lag issues. There are only 4 classes: Man-at-arms, Archer, Vanguard and Knight. Each requires a different playstyle from the next. Aside from the glitches and mechanics issues with the engine, my only complaint is the game is TOO simple. It needs more to it, but the combat is great. Archer is hard to master as it should be. Since I am loving this game I'm going to give it a 9, but it's more of a 8.5 or 8. I expect Chivalry to influence similar games in the future. Expand
  62. Mar 4, 2013
    Finally a game that lives up to "medieval warfare". From the sounds of bone crushing and blood squirting, this game packs a lot of fun into a little price tag and it will be sure to help launch the next version into even higher regards for PvP fun and action
  63. Feb 21, 2013
    This game is an absolute blast. It fills some unexplored area of the FPS genre, made professionally. I don't consider myself that much of a medieval fan, still this game makes me love it. The combat system is incredible you actually feel your weapon. All the little pieces are put together nicely. The visuals, sounds, death screams everything. The only negative i can think is some bugs, andThis game is an absolute blast. It fills some unexplored area of the FPS genre, made professionally. I don't consider myself that much of a medieval fan, still this game makes me love it. The combat system is incredible you actually feel your weapon. All the little pieces are put together nicely. The visuals, sounds, death screams everything. The only negative i can think is some bugs, and lack of singleplayer campaign. However looking at the size of the dev team, they made an outstanding work. In short, best medieval multiplayer experience. Buy it! Expand
  64. Mar 9, 2013
    For what it's worth and it's amazing unique game play style, this is a gem every person should have in their steam library. The Chivalry gaming community is just awesome too.
  65. Feb 16, 2013
    Such an awesome game. I've been wanting a sort of Skyrim/FPS mix game for awhile, and while there are no dragons, magic, or anything else in Skyrim besides weapons and armor, but this is good enough. There are four distinct classes, each with their own role and special abilities. There are plenty of game modes and even an offline option where you can play against bots. The weapons areSuch an awesome game. I've been wanting a sort of Skyrim/FPS mix game for awhile, and while there are no dragons, magic, or anything else in Skyrim besides weapons and armor, but this is good enough. There are four distinct classes, each with their own role and special abilities. There are plenty of game modes and even an offline option where you can play against bots. The weapons are pretty much balanced and the hitboxes are good. So many hours of fun I've had with this game.

There are a few quirks here and there which prevents this game from getting a full 10/10. For example, you'll occasionally get stuck on certain items in a map, the new Duel mode they added is really buggy and they added your win/lose ratio (I didn't need to be reminded how badly I sucked), and just a bunch of little things. This game is worth the $25 it costs and you will not regret it.
  66. Feb 4, 2013
    The aim of Chivalry is to kill as many as you can before getting team killed. Combat is realistic, when factoring the weight the weps must have been. There is nothing funner than beating a man to death with bare chainmail fists. There are plenty of servers, with people on them. There's a unique levelling system, and everyone is pretty cool to play with. no matter how new you are youll dieThe aim of Chivalry is to kill as many as you can before getting team killed. Combat is realistic, when factoring the weight the weps must have been. There is nothing funner than beating a man to death with bare chainmail fists. There are plenty of servers, with people on them. There's a unique levelling system, and everyone is pretty cool to play with. no matter how new you are youll die just as much as the experienced. Nothing is funner than constantly screaming your battle cry. It's by far the best medieval battle game/sim out there right now, and at a good price. Check it out. Expand
  67. Mar 2, 2013
    Do not listen to the negative reviews, they are either A. Reviewing a game in BETA/ALPHA stage, or B. They totally suck at the game and just rage quitted after playing a round. Problem is people think it's simple, so they complain a lot when they die, instead of seeing the tactic that brought them down.

This game is very immersive, it has some good blood effects and gore. The combat, which some lesser people claim to be luck-based, is in fact a very deep system with many tactics. The thing is, if people are too set on games being simple, they will feel it's about luck when they get killed by another better player using special tactics. You can hit people around the shield if they are not careful, and blocking is harder or easier depending on which weapon your enemy uses. The armours in this game also looks quite realistic and good. Other games always have these seriously weird armours with things sticking out everywhere or just armours that look like they weight about as much as a freight train. The ambience is very good, there are way cries and death cries echoing through the battlefield. And also a messenger shouting orders or reports to the presumed commanders further away. Animations aren't that great in some cases, but the swings are generally really good, it feels like there is weight behind them and you can't just randomly swing around, because you'll get tired. There is a good diversity in game modes as well, you can play through the "story" by going team objective, or just FFA or TDM if you would feel like it. There is also a special duel game mode where everyone gathers in one room and duel each other one by one, which is a great way to train duelling. There are also a quite interesting factor in the game, friendly fire, meaning you can accidentally kill teammates. This adds a new level of difficulty to the game, which in my opinion should be added to almost all games, it makes it more punishing to miss and hit your friend. Games like Battlefield and CoD could benefit from this in all of their gamemode, the only downside being that people are too stupid to avoid friendly fire. To counter this in Chivalry, which many people are too stupid to realize, is to simply use trusts and overhead swings whenever friendlies are nearby.

The guys working on this seems like good guys, like almost no other game companies are nowadays, they release new content and patches, and they aren't trying to make extra money by releasing a DLC which you HAVE to pay for to get these new things. They recently released a content update in late January together with a patch. I am seriously looking forward to new content, unlockables and more. If I had to guess, I'd guess they will release weapons and different armours soon.

Many people also claim they have lag issues, this is because they choose servers that have horrbile ping, because they have absolutely no understanding of servers what so ever. If you pick a good server and have a decent internet connection, then you will have no trouble. There might also be some unsupported routers that have created problems for some people. This is a big reason why many discard the game outright and write a bad review here, they are too lazy to fix lag issues. That is why they feel the game is unresponsive, choppy and "unfair", it is literally only because of ping, that's how ping works. There are no choppy weapons, this is because of lag only.

As for people claiming M&B has a better combat system... Yeah, swinging wildly with little to no weight behind your swings and never tiring seems perfect. They are just blinded by their on fan-boyism. I've played M&B, I love it. Chivalry has a more skillful and better combat system though. Duels are amazing. The only way M&B or War of the Roses, can be better is when you have a large group (clan or guild) that works together, which doesn't happen often. WotR's problem is that it doesn't have the maps designed for large scale, group or line warfare.

The only thing that Chivalry doesn't have, that WotR does have. Is customization options, in WotR you can create your own unique armours and coat of arms, which is really cool, since you basically have your own "house" you're fighting for. The problem with this is that many players tend to make goofy looking armours and such, destroying the awesome feeling of the game. WotR is also set in a later period it seems, as their armours look like they're from a later period of the middle ages. Bordering on 16th century armours, I'd say. There's far too little chain mail, which is sad, it was widely used during the middle ages, with only a surcoat over, something both games lack. Then later, it was used as further protection together with plate armour.

In conclusion, I love M&B, I love Chivalry. M&B is really fun with a giant group and lots of players, but Chivalry has a more skillful and immersive combat system, where there is a lot more techniques than M&B has, and War of the Roses.
  68. Apr 1, 2013
    I just bought this on sale on Steam for $8.49 and I've gotta say, this game kicks ass! If you want some happy happy fun times then get this game. I fired it up, launched the tutorial (was done in 5 minutes) and then jumped into an online game. I started as an Archer and with my first arrow fired slew a knight attacking one of my teammates with about a 60 yard shot. And then as my foe,I just bought this on sale on Steam for $8.49 and I've gotta say, this game kicks ass! If you want some happy happy fun times then get this game. I fired it up, launched the tutorial (was done in 5 minutes) and then jumped into an online game. I started as an Archer and with my first arrow fired slew a knight attacking one of my teammates with about a 60 yard shot. And then as my foe, fell to the ground, my teammate lopped off his head with his sword. Yeah it took all of 30 seconds into my first online match and I was hooked on this time killer! Great Buy if you get it on sale, don't feel bad if you paid full price the game is worth it. Expand
  69. Jul 29, 2013
    This game is amazing! I haven't had this much fun playing video games in years, and I play a lot. Its not a complex game, nor does it take itself too seriously, but the game is better for it. Charging into battle while your character shouts a war cry, or laughs like a lunatic is hilariously awesome. I find myself laughing with a big smile on my face the whole time I'm playing this game.This game is amazing! I haven't had this much fun playing video games in years, and I play a lot. Its not a complex game, nor does it take itself too seriously, but the game is better for it. Charging into battle while your character shouts a war cry, or laughs like a lunatic is hilariously awesome. I find myself laughing with a big smile on my face the whole time I'm playing this game. Like I said, it is not complex, but there is enough depth for characters to learn new skills and practice techniques to become terrors on the battlefield, and yet not make the game aggravating for other players. If you die, its usually pretty clear how you made a mistake and offered yourself on a silver platter. Anyways, I could go on and on. Do yourself a favor and at least look into this game. Watch some reviews on Youtube, and ignore the haters on this site. Its awesome! Expand
  70. Dec 9, 2012
    Just bought this game after watching a review on youtube and was very surprised. Especially the "weight" of the swords is great. Every single time I get in a fight I feel my heart racing. So intense, and that feeling isn't going away, so I know it's a great game. I love it! Laughed my ass off too. Could use a bit more polishing of the menus, and perhaps making speers and archers lessJust bought this game after watching a review on youtube and was very surprised. Especially the "weight" of the swords is great. Every single time I get in a fight I feel my heart racing. So intense, and that feeling isn't going away, so I know it's a great game. I love it! Laughed my ass off too. Could use a bit more polishing of the menus, and perhaps making speers and archers less powerful, but other than that, good fun! The graphics and sounds are great too. Expand
  71. Dec 26, 2012
    This game was well worth every penny. I'm a huge fan of medieval combat and this game was literally a perfect fit for my gaming style. It might not be for everybody, but the game gets a strong 10/10 from me.
  72. Dec 22, 2012
    Chivalry is a one of a kind game, there is no other game. You'll find the combat more intense than in any other game and the atmosphere is incredible. It never ceases to amaze me that this game was brought by an indie company. It is worth your money and time, but this really is one of those one of a kind games that you must have played.

To compare it with War of the Roses, WotR does

To compare it with War of the Roses, WotR does deliver better customization and depth. But the core gameplay of Chivalry is far superior. TornBanner can and will add more details (such as customization) in future patches. WotR however, or any other game for the matter, cannot change its core gameplay.

If you're one of those people like me, unsure whether to buy a game and reading some reviews, buy it. Don't pay to much attention to all the negativity. Chivalry is a skill-based game, and some new players think they'll know how to play like veterans in no-time. That's why they get frustrated and blame it on bad game mechanics and glitches. Know however, that I have invested 110 hours in this game and I can assure you, actual bug encounters or other glitches are rare.
  73. Dec 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My current obsession. First person shooters can not compare to a full physics based melee combat system (plus physics based projectiles). Most FPS use hit scan to detect if you hit or not, but this game uses swings, parries, blocks, dodges and weapon to body part hit detection and physics collision. I'm a game developer and I can tell you what they pulled off is revolutionary. All future games should learn from this game! So good, I can't stop playing it :)

Some tips:

Vanguard is a good starting class. It has some of the longest reach weapons and you can "mouse up" to stab with one of the pole arms and learn to play distance games while you can "left mouse button" to swing some of the long swords around on a FFA server to get double and triple kills occasionally.

The Knight is a good second class to learn as it can take the most hits (generally 3 hits instead of 2 from powerful weapons). It has some variety as you can play with long reaching two handed sword or a one-hander plus shield. The extra durability comes in useful when you need to increase your survivability (which comes in pretty handy in objective based maps).

The Archer is a good class to play in wide open maps or maps where there is a front line protecting you as you try to pop off enemies. My personal favorite thing is using the short bow and doing mid to close ranged shots and killing people as they try to approach me. You can quickly switch to a short sword, parry their incoming blow and then go in for a quick stab before you run out of range of their next hit, then go in for another blow. The parry from the short swords and daggers aren't nearly as effective as just running out of the range of the enemy's weapon and then running back in range.

The Man at Arms is my current favorite class to play, but I'd consider him one of the hardest classes to play (advanced tactics required to be good). Generally a fun way to troll people is pick the Oil Pot and when you spawn, switch to it and run around until you see someone in the "last stage bloody" point. One shot from the Oil Pot will kill them for a relatively easy free kill. Then run around and use the class's extra speed to your advantage by running in, getting as many hits as you can. If they parry you, instead of parrying their next shot, press backwards+dodge or turn straight around and sprint out of distance from their swing, then when you hear their "grunt" from swinging, immediately turn around and swing and you'll generally catch them post-swing and repeat.

So fun, can't play anything else :)
  74. Dec 26, 2012
    So fun! I have not been able to stop playing this game. I've logged about 35 hours played time so far and I must say it's super addicting. The medieval combat is perfect if you're into that sort of thing. The fighting feels natural and it's easy to learn the basics and start chopping off heads, while there are advanced combat techniques that take some time to master. There are 60 differentSo fun! I have not been able to stop playing this game. I've logged about 35 hours played time so far and I must say it's super addicting. The medieval combat is perfect if you're into that sort of thing. The fighting feels natural and it's easy to learn the basics and start chopping off heads, while there are advanced combat techniques that take some time to master. There are 60 different weapons to unlock so you want to keep playing and trying out different classes. With about 4 truly different game modes and a handful of different maps the game cycles through, things never start to feel old. I suggest you pick this game up, it's 100% worth the money. Expand
  75. Feb 20, 2013
    Bought this game out of curiosity last week... and haven't stopped playing it! Sure there are few tweaks needed and some greater customization would be nice, but the core game play is great fun. Addictive and brutal combat although archers seem to have the least attention paid to them in game design .

76. Mar 11, 2013
    Fantastically fun. There are bugs, there are some weak level designs, but overall this is sooooooooo fun game to play. Chivalry has a great sense of humor... there's no shortage of entirely hilarious happenings. Go get it!
  77. Mar 17, 2013
    Easily my game of 2013 so far, and I doubt it will be topped any time soon. The combat is wonderfully skill based, the game play is fantastic, the community is generally good and the graphics are more than adequate. I keep coming back to this game without fail, especially with the number of free updates that keep coming. Buy this game, it's cheap for what you get and you'll have hours of fun.
  78. Apr 1, 2013
    I for one haven't played many melee game before. I was a Cod2 and Cod4 gamer most my gaming experience. Chivalry caught my attention by steam hosting one of their trailers. I'm very picky about games I buy, so I did research on it. Most players that gave this a relative bad score due to them being from other melee games and this melee game just didn't fit their criteria. Torn banner is aI for one haven't played many melee game before. I was a Cod2 and Cod4 gamer most my gaming experience. Chivalry caught my attention by steam hosting one of their trailers. I'm very picky about games I buy, so I did research on it. Most players that gave this a relative bad score due to them being from other melee games and this melee game just didn't fit their criteria. Torn banner is a small group of guys that developed this game from virtual meetings. Chivalry is in the beta stage with its few quirks that most indie games have when they start up. A few problems arose with the latest patch but nothing that would kill the game for you. The gameplay is really cool, gore and blood everywhere for you lovers of it. This game will only keep getting better and with the Easter sale I see no reason to not get it. Expand
  79. Jun 14, 2013
    Out of the other medieval games; mount and blade, war of the roses, etc, Chivalry is far the best game ever created! The gameplay and combat mechanics are truly amazing. With news and update every week by the developers and a good community, this game has potential.
  80. Jul 20, 2013
    Buggy tutorial immediately put me in a bad mood towards this game. I gave them a couple of points for having an innovative "swing" system. It's better than Elder Scrolls attack method. Unfortunately this is literally a hack and slash game. A couple of hits and you die. Should have gone fantasy, because realism sucks in this game.

They are trying to create something akin to MMO shooters,

They are trying to create something akin to MMO shooters, but the need to be in close combat at all times just means that if you are outnumbered, you will die. You can only defend against one attack at a time, basically, so two or more attackers will kill you quick. Respawn is similar to other shooters, it just depends on when you die and where the counter was at at the time. Then there is a long boring run back to the battle. Why this sucks is because at least in Red Orchestra or COD you fight from a ranged distance. This is also why games like Elder Scrolls don't thrust you into endless waves of creatures attacking all at once. At least in fantasy games you have the benefit of magic for defense and offense as well.

The game also plays in a windowed mode. This wasn't exactly a deal breaker for me, but it was annoying. The animations were okay, but timing blocks, which is a major part of this game, is sluggish at times. Basically this is all in the mouse. Your movement is still WASD, but everything else uses all your mouse buttons. If you don't have five mouse buttons, do not even try.

I bought this on sale at Steam for $10 and I would really like to demand my money back. Like a few other reviewers I was surprised at how high this game scored. My guess is 90% of these reviews came within the initial purchase and few hours of play with the hope that it would get better. Leveling doesn't do much for you but get you new weapons to swing with. It gets very monotonous after awhile, click 1, click 2, block, click 3, click 1, block.... Oh yeah and die like every thirty or forty seconds.

This game might be better with a group of players who are all on headsets and communicating, but all I saw was a bunch of people running around swinging at everything, including their teammates. Like many shooters with friendly fire, count on some moron constantly running in front of your swings/shots as well. As a 4-5 layer co-op effort, this game could have been awesome. But thirty fighting each other in very close quarters, even outdoors, just becomes a chaotic nightmare. Anyone who thinks this is how medieval wars took place is just flat out crazy. There are no skirmish lines in this game, no waves of archers followed by foot soldiers, and no artillery that I saw (but perhaps that was a different type of battle I didn't play). Instead, they call it realism when thirty people with no coordinated effort charge in and start swinging like crazy. Viking pillagers were more organized than this.

The biggest problem I saw here is that there is no commander, be it a King or a General of some sort. A good system would have been to have a team leader that controlled who, which of the four characters (Archer, Man-at-Arms, Knight and Skirmisher) and how many would be available in a pool that you have to choose from when you respawn. I saw games where there was little to no archer support, and knights were just wading into battle all alone, instead of being backed up by people with pole arms. Every man for themselves doesn't really work in these types of "slashers," but how do you avoid it if there isn't even the slightest semblance of a command structure. Often you have to defend three objectives, such as your catapults, which seemed to be unused, but there is no way of directing people to spread out appropriately. This may seem like an issue of the people who play it, rather than the game itself, but I can see no real way to remedy this without some sort of command structure. What's really annoying is that if you know anything about strategy in warfare, this game is just going to tick you off with every battle.

I had eyed this game suspiciously for few months, and after reading the reviews here I bought it on sale. Like I said, I would pitch a fit to get my money back if it were possible. This is basically one of those online games you play in a browser converted into something that looks like a professional game. I think some of these complaints are partly due to the people it attracts. Serious gamers won't be messing around with this. It pales in comparison to games like Red Orchestra and even, dare I say, WOW (which I absolutely hate). If you want to play a pedantic time waster for a few days, pick this up. Otherwise I would spend the money on a single player medieval themed game, or some sort of RTS if you are absolutely jonesing for medieval fighting. The positive reviews of this game are misleading, If they use words like "epic" and "awesomeness" it's probably best to stay away. I certainly learned my lesson about how to read these reviews from now on. It's a lowest common denominator issue IMO.
  81. Dec 15, 2013
    Great and epic game. This is one of my favorite games. I'm a freak when it comes to medieval, but when its in first person........ I EXPLODE IN JOY!!!!! This is worth every penny and you will not regret it.
  82. Dec 2, 2012
    I've been looking for one of these type of games for awhile. Tried War of the roses and this blows it out of the water. Absolutely incredible game. Highly recommend 10/10 trying to get all my friends to buy it.
  83. Jan 12, 2013
    Excellent multiplayer slasher, full of sound, fury and blood. More object maps has epic gameplay and i don't know why it has not got 100 so everyone should give it 10/10 :)
  84. Jan 17, 2013
    Chivalry is an FPS type game with a medieval theme to it, using mainly melee weapons with the occasional bow or crossbow. It can be a lot of fun if you enjoy FPS games and the idea of medieval combat. The game has a combat system that takes time to learn, it involves a lot of timing and precision. You can get lucky by just swinging wildly, but you are likely to take out your fellow teamChivalry is an FPS type game with a medieval theme to it, using mainly melee weapons with the occasional bow or crossbow. It can be a lot of fun if you enjoy FPS games and the idea of medieval combat. The game has a combat system that takes time to learn, it involves a lot of timing and precision. You can get lucky by just swinging wildly, but you are likely to take out your fellow team members by doing so. The game has multiple classes, a variety of unique weapons, and multiple game modes available to play. Expand
  85. Jan 29, 2013
    A really great game which realistically represents close- and range combat with various historical weapons. Gamemodes include: fighting in an arena, teamdeathmath, free for all death match, pillaging a city in a team, castle siege etc. and all of this in multiplayer! A must have for all fans of the medieval period!
  86. Jul 8, 2013
    This game has a lot of great things going for it, which is why it's a shame that it's challenges overshadow many of those. Combat system requires finesse and offers a decent array of weaponry but is glitchy and often out of sink with the picture. The maps are great but offer unseen traps where characters get stuck on scenery. The UI could use some work, most notably the Find Server screen,This game has a lot of great things going for it, which is why it's a shame that it's challenges overshadow many of those. Combat system requires finesse and offers a decent array of weaponry but is glitchy and often out of sink with the picture. The maps are great but offer unseen traps where characters get stuck on scenery. The UI could use some work, most notably the Find Server screen, which is perhaps the glitchiest thing of all.

If you can get the game to work you have a tremendous wealth of multiplayer combat, most of which will be spent fending off your own team mates. This game is packed with team killing.

I want to love this game, and I play it over and over again in the hopes that just once I'll leave a session happy. They only tend to end in frustration, however.
  87. Jan 24, 2013
    Very very buggy, couldn't complete tutorial because the keys it told me to use, were NOT the keys I actually had to use. Upon trying to fix this, I ended up deleting the keybinding entirely with no way to reset it.
  88. Dec 9, 2012
    One of the most fun online games I have played for a long time. To me this is basically what Guild Wars 2 combat should have been, if that is of any importance to anyone. Deep, skill based combat. Weapons all have a big influence on how a character plays. Needs a few balance tweaks here and there but few games out there at the moment as satisfying as the combat in this.
  89. Jan 14, 2013
    Don't be fooled by the negative reviews, Chivalry and War of the Roses are two different games and they were made to be exactly that. If you're looking for a fun and quick slash 'em up, this game is for you! If you're looking for a slow and boring combat simulator, War of the Roses would be the correct choice. You'll have a blast on this game if you're not serious mcserious pants.
  90. Jan 18, 2013
    Really good game,Combat system is very simple but sufficient,maybe archery is more difficult to learn but if u prefer close combat u should be happy,Is fast,brutal and gore.Tons of blood and chopped limbs.Graphic is average in my opinion and is far away from new high budget games.If u like simple and brutal but very intense entertaintment this game is for u.There is still few bugs andReally good game,Combat system is very simple but sufficient,maybe archery is more difficult to learn but if u prefer close combat u should be happy,Is fast,brutal and gore.Tons of blood and chopped limbs.Graphic is average in my opinion and is far away from new high budget games.If u like simple and brutal but very intense entertaintment this game is for u.There is still few bugs and problems but next patches should solve the problem. Expand
  91. Nov 1, 2013
    The game can be fun, if you have the patience for it.
    The community is horrible, and sorry I'm not overlooking reckless votekicks.

If you can stand a game where you will likely be voted off the server in the first few minutes of not playing well enough or accidentally hitting a teammate, then it might be worth checking out.
  92. Dec 2, 2012
    A must buy. It's a real time action game. Requiring some skill and training in order to be really good at the game. It has 4 different types of classes: Man At Arms, Knight, Archer and Vanguard. They all have their different skills for each type of class which is really balanced.
  93. Jan 2, 2013
    After reading some reviews I was cautious at buying this game. Yet after getting into a match I found this game was super fun. To me it seems a bit like Skyrim style combat (sword/shield wise) which was VERY cool in my opinion. The blocking is really fun as you have to meet the tip of the enemies weapon with your shield or weapon like it would be in real life, so it takes some skill and atAfter reading some reviews I was cautious at buying this game. Yet after getting into a match I found this game was super fun. To me it seems a bit like Skyrim style combat (sword/shield wise) which was VERY cool in my opinion. The blocking is really fun as you have to meet the tip of the enemies weapon with your shield or weapon like it would be in real life, so it takes some skill and at the same time is fun. Killing someone feels very satisfying as you are sometimes placed into situations unfavorable to you, yet come out victorious. Such an event happened where I was up against 2 warriors and 3 archers against just me. I ended up taking out both warriors and an archer before the other 2 killed me. I could have possibly won but didn't all because I didn't have a shield! So if you are good enough, skill does makes the difference! It's possible to take on a small group by yourself if you are smart enough! And that is just the best feeling to pull off stuff like that! The archer class is pretty fun too and gives you a break from melee combat if you've done it for a long time. It takes a bit to get used to but its neat to make a snipe from far away while at the same time saving a friend! Overall I feel it was well worth it, the combat is fun. The classes seem unique for the most part. And from visiting the forums, the developers really seem like they are going to update this game and stick with it. This game has a LOT of promise in my opinion. And if the modding community really wanted to, they could make some amazing things from this. I think this game was 100% worth the money. I don't really see much of the things some people are giving this a bad score for. Either they updated it to fix these issues or its personal opinion. For being a new game I think it has a very nice start. Expand
  94. Jan 3, 2013
    This is wonderful game.Amazing game. Like travel in time machine to the medieval. The combat is better than any other melee game I've played. Must buy.
  95. Jan 9, 2013
    Great looking, and a ridiculously fun game, ruined by the masses of bugs that make it very hard to play the game at all. I'll amend this review when the game is fixed. ** Bugs have now been mostly fix (not completely, but well enough), making this purely a very fun game which I reccomend highly!
  96. Nov 11, 2012
    Chivalary is one of those games that can be played by mashing buttons, without regard of situation or without even knowing what you are doing. Same goes for any beat em up game.
    Does that make the game bad? Not at all. When first playing the game, you will die. Often. Mostly because you end up inside the mobfight and there is one guy swinging the biggest and nastiest weapon he could find. Given some time to play this, you will find tons of ways to counter these (as again, with a lot of beat-em-up games). Only at this point, will the game reach is potential. It does lack any visual customization or a way to discern your friends from other teammates, but i'm pretty confident those things will come in the near future.
    The visual style is grim and dark. Just the way it should be.
  97. Oct 28, 2012
    Would be so much more fun were it not so buggy right now. As it is, it's more of a paid beta, than it is a game ready to be released. There are COUNTLESS situations where hits don't connect, enemies hit you when the strike is clearly going to miss, archer's bolts/arrows strike you when they should have missed, etc. This obviously comes down to lag issues, but if those aren't taken careWould be so much more fun were it not so buggy right now. As it is, it's more of a paid beta, than it is a game ready to be released. There are COUNTLESS situations where hits don't connect, enemies hit you when the strike is clearly going to miss, archer's bolts/arrows strike you when they should have missed, etc. This obviously comes down to lag issues, but if those aren't taken care of, then the game is flawed. And mind you, this is playing on servers where I have a 30-50 ping.
    In addition, your strikes get nullified way too easily. I understand this is trying to be realistic, but in reality, your attacks don't always have to follow the same exact plane of attack, regardless of surrounding variables. These variables include terrain obstacles around you, such as trees, rocks, or whatever, and teammates. You could switch to an overhead attack, or stab, and still find your attack nullified. The game is entirely too sensitive, and it becomes extremely frustrating to play. A little leeway would go a long way to making the game more enjoyable. I'm good at controlling my attitude while I play a "game", but this game constantly has me quitting in frustration, due to situations where I simply do not feel in control of my character, nor the situation itself. If you're looking for a medieval combat simulation, or anything even close to that, buy Mount & Blade Warband. This game simply wasn't ready for release. It's just too buggy, and needs too many optimizations to be a fully enjoyable experience. This is besides the fact that it runs like crap.
  98. Nov 30, 2012
    In simple War of the Roses much more enjoyable. This game is like a quake - run, hit, block, run. No mind. No depth. No team play. When I down in WoR and someone heal me - I FEEL we are the team. Here we just run together. WaR has horse combat and really large area. Here we have stages, but you can use only one and fight is in one place. In WaR there can be several fights far each fromIn simple War of the Roses much more enjoyable. This game is like a quake - run, hit, block, run. No mind. No depth. No team play. When I down in WoR and someone heal me - I FEEL we are the team. Here we just run together. WaR has horse combat and really large area. Here we have stages, but you can use only one and fight is in one place. In WaR there can be several fights far each from other. WaR meely combat is really deeper, it is not just press one button. You should select direction, charge. It is much harder, but much more enjoyable in the end. Customization is awesome, in WoR of course. If we compare game feeling I don't see here nothing comparable. Expand
  99. Nov 28, 2012
    I really, REALLY wanted to like this game. War of the Roses was a great game, but no-one plays it because it had a bad start and steep learning curve and does not have attack and defend modes. So I really did want to like this.

Summary: I picked this up for about £7, but, honestly, it's probably worth mroe like £5. It just feels like a poor, clunky mod. If it was faster and had better graphics it would be worth more.

Positives:-

Lots of people play it.
    It can be brilliant when people play as a team.
    It does feel quite medieval in spirit.
    The development team clearly want to fix the bugs that it has (which is a lot).
    Apparently they will release free updates, too.

Cons:-

1.Firstly, and most terribly, the game is slow-paced. And not in a good way. Just it takes you ages to get anywhere, it takes ages to swing weapons, and it takes ages to spawn. Even the menus are slow! (No, I don't have a slow computer.)
    2. The hit detection is terrible. People will hit you when they are nowhere near you or not even facing you. You will stab someone quite clearly yet "miss".
    3. It's very simple. There is almost no depth. War of the Roses had tonnes of depth from swing mechanics to where body armour is, to having to use certain kinds of weapons against certain kinds of body armour. This is hit/block/hit/block. Don't get me wrong, you can actually be skilled at the old hit and block, and timing is key, but that doesn't mean there is depth. There are a lot of skilled people at this game.
    4. The graphics are TERRIBLE. I can't believe people think they are good. The textures are AWFUL, to say the least. In all honesty, it looks like somewhere between a Half Life 1 and a Half Life 2 mod. It makes me wonder whether they imported their textures from the original mod.
    5. Bugs - there are a lot of them (even after the new patch), though I am confident the development team will fix them.

If they released an HD texture package (could happen; it has for other games, and the devs seem to really want to make this game great) increased the quality of the hit detection, and made the pacing faster, then I think it would be a very fun game. Just, right now, it feels like a mod, not a fully-fledged game.

I really wanted to like this, too!

:-(
  100. Nov 29, 2012
    This is just so much fun, It feels so good to decapitate someone, And though there isn't a lot of skill involved in some particular game modes it's still very fun to play, The only thing that i don't really like is the archer class, That's probably the only thing that is better in War of the Roses (in my opinion)
  101. Jan 25, 2013
    I' m playing with unity , blender and udk myself, and from an indie developer perspective, I'm really impressed by this title: Visually stunning, great concept, great mechanics. What it lacks , for me, is about polishness. That you can feel from the tutorial : I stucked there for ages, before understanding that to start a training in the class session I had to press "i" instead of "e" , asI' m playing with unity , blender and udk myself, and from an indie developer perspective, I'm really impressed by this title: Visually stunning, great concept, great mechanics. What it lacks , for me, is about polishness. That you can feel from the tutorial : I stucked there for ages, before understanding that to start a training in the class session I had to press "i" instead of "e" , as displayed in the game tips messages. I'm also playing in italian, and some sentences are translated, while others not. I would have honestly not having the "italian" option, then (but steam setted automatically). About attacks etc, I feel everything is a bit buggy. To me, this could have been a really great title, if only coders had spend little more time on it, before actually selling the game. . My best compliments to the 3d artists and animators (animations, to me, looks great). I'm giving this opinion on the current version of the game, so I'm sure the title will improve. Collapse

1. Feb 26, 2013
    A multiplayer experience that offers a realistic point of view of the Medieval melee battles. It's not fit for everyone, but if you get past the glitches and the high difficulty curve, you'll find an enjoyable and addictive game.
    Chivalry is slightly… bipolar. The spectacle of a duel (especially if the two opponents are seasoned veterans) can be spectacularly breath-taking, a complex choreography that one can only marvel at. Blocks, feints, slashes, back-steps, side-hits: despite initial impressions, this can be a truly intellectual game of tactics, requiring high skills, observation and deviousness. On the other hand, the spectacle of a massive battle of fifty warriors can be ridiculously chaotic: especially if the players are inexperienced and go for blind “hack and slash” tactics, it’s more like a metal concert mosh pit than a battle for glory and honor. [February 2013]
  3. Feb 1, 2013
    Chivalry is Quake to War of the Roses' Battlefield, and those seeking a faster-paced bloodier experience will undoubtedly prefer Chivalry's type of steel. [March 2013, p.65]