6.7

1. JohnRawman
    Feb 6, 2009
    Í remember the dozens of announcements of all those "halo killers". In the end only one of them came close - it was the Polish game Chrome. Featuring just as nice graphics and even larger terrains than Halo, plus more unlinear level design, Chrome had sort of a bad start and so most people even didn't give it the chance it deserved. And I'm talking about two differentÍ remember the dozens of announcements of all those "halo killers". In the end only one of them came close - it was the Polish game Chrome. Featuring just as nice graphics and even larger terrains than Halo, plus more unlinear level design, Chrome had sort of a bad start and so most people even didn't give it the chance it deserved. And I'm talking about two different kinds of start. The game came a little unfinished and so you had to wait for the patches but I really must say: they were great. They improved the performance, the physics and hundreds of smaller details. The other problem was, that the true strength of this game is the usage of implants, but unfortunately you don't have them right from the beginning on. But once you have the speed improvement and the implant that allows you to use some kind of "bullet time", the gameplay gets really great (it even neutralizes the fact that the enemies have horribly fast reactions and perfect aiming since you get even better). And maybe the scenario is not as epic and "unreal" as in other scifi games such as Halo or Unreal, but the story itself is much much more interesting, featuring an intelligently designed conspiracy and interesting characters. Still the game lacks what a real blockbuster needs (such as a great soundtrack and faster and more exciting fighting) but it's still a solid piece of work that did not get the attention it deserved. Plus Chrome features a very interesting and exciting multiplayer mode but unfortunately there was no one to proove it. Expand
  2. ExtremelyCrass
    Oct 1, 2003
    Stunning graphics and crisp clear sound BUT gameplay is incredibly bad. Not immersive whatsoever. Add the fact that it is so hard to see enemies and where the hell they are shooting from. Even with the radar, you spend half the time looking around for who is shooting at you.
  3. Jan 23, 2014
    I never thought I'd see a game make shooting bad guys completely unfun. But then came Chrome. Here's a rundown of my first twenty or so attempts to beat the first mission on normal difficulty.

(First time): got killed by the second group of enemies I ran into. Dying is very easy due to high enemy accuracy and a crappy, slow healing meachanic. (Second time): mission was cancelled by

(Second time): mission was cancelled by my prima donna commander, who won't progress unless I'm holding his hand.

(Third time): killed commander as revenge for cancelling the mission. (Fourth time): commander died because a million guys rushed his position, and I could only kill all but two of them. Good to know he can handle himself in a fight.

(Fifth - twentieth times): repeats of one of the first four. You're not allowed to do your own thing at any point in this sequence, even if it means completing the mission faster or more safely. You have to follow Commander Uptight's orders or he'll cancel the mission. And when that means staying in a tower with limited ammo and no way of switching to a different weapon or restocking when you're out, your options are die from disobedience or die from letting your commander eat it.

The gameplay itself is decent enough. I dislike the way my bullets, even when very carefully aimed, seem to whiz right past my enemies. I also dislike the fact that my enemies are bullet sponges with Olympic marksmanship skills. The worst part is definitely the commander and his ridiculous "orders", though. When a game literally kills you and makes you start the whole level over (no saves or checkpoints) for not playing it the way it wants to be played, it's not really a game so much as an electronic to-do list, and that is most certainly not my idea of fun.

I gave it one last chance, and I died from friendly fire. Yeah, this game's putrid. Don't bother with it.
  4. Horus
    Oct 1, 2003
    Very tired FPS. On the hardest level the AI follows you through walls (you can see it tracking you when you have the thermal implant running) and headshots you from hundreds of metres away before you've even cleared a hilltop. The physics are also poor. You can't fall over cliffs, or drive over rocks, and invisible walls are used to shepherd you through the very linear maps. Very tired FPS. On the hardest level the AI follows you through walls (you can see it tracking you when you have the thermal implant running) and headshots you from hundreds of metres away before you've even cleared a hilltop. The physics are also poor. You can't fall over cliffs, or drive over rocks, and invisible walls are used to shepherd you through the very linear maps. Aside from that it's absolutely gorgeous, probably the best looking game I've ever played. One for eye-candy lovers only. Expand
  5. AdrewB.
    Sep 21, 2003
    It's one of the most original FPP I played recently!
  6. BrianW.
    Oct 3, 2003
    Truly stunning graphics. A couple of bugs here and there, and a few glitches. A.I is a bit hit and miss but otherwise an excelent chioce for fps addicts.
  7. ErikDeV.
    Sep 24, 2003
    Mostly brilliant? except for some minor sound and animation issues? Borrows gameplay elements from Deus-ex, Halo and Half-Life but still has it?s own identity! I am enjoying this game immensely! What are you waiting for? Add this game to your collection. You will not regret it!
  8. Birdy
    Nov 3, 2003
    Excellent and very immersive game. The game Unreal2 should have been.
  9. Peteaj
    Sep 24, 2003
    Yes this is a good game but there are a few niggles i.e the crosshair feels unfinished but over all a good game.
  10. JoshuaK.
    Sep 21, 2003
    Just excellent. I fear it is the best FPS I have ever played and its the first Halo killer.
  11. Jan 2, 2011
    To me, the game was just terrible. At least, graphics are okay, But game-play was no fun and was not exciting. I didn't like it. It was a waste of $5.
  12. Nov 5, 2013
    Graphics are dated, but good enough, espcially for a $5 (or less) game. A decent storyline that gives you a long enough quest chain to make you feel like you got your worth. Variety of weaponry isn't somewhat basic, but the amount able to be carried allows for enough diversity to be carried. Also the stealth feature and vehicle driving are well done too.
    Overall a solid 7.
  13. Jun 19, 2013
    Singleplayer is nice. You may die on normal if you play it first time, but after time hardest will be not enough! But not SP is what I want to tell you about.
    Multiplayer is AMAZING! Yes, last days there are not many cool inspiring guys online, but you surely sooner or later find some friends among them! This is the best MP FPS I ever played.
    Objectively: guns are VERY balanced. If you
    Objectively: guns are VERY balanced. If you have a skill in FPS you can take a pistol and make a massacre all over server! Of course you can always take 14mm automatic rifle and be a bad guy with a big gun
  14. Aug 22, 2013
    I loved this game, they did just about everything right. The start of the game is very linear, commander tells you to do x and you do it, but by the middle of that first mission your already having to make your own choices. Single player is difficult, so if you want those easy games you might as well quit reading now. It doesn't take long before you start getting implants, and that's whenI loved this game, they did just about everything right. The start of the game is very linear, commander tells you to do x and you do it, but by the middle of that first mission your already having to make your own choices. Single player is difficult, so if you want those easy games you might as well quit reading now. It doesn't take long before you start getting implants, and that's when things really start getting fun, it really allowed you to customize your play style.

The vehicles are pretty cool, even though their physics can be rather odd at times. In all, the story more than makes up for any faults the game has, and you should give it a try if your looking for a game from the days when they used to try to make interesting in game plots.
  15. Oct 20, 2013
    Truly cheesy characters, graphics from 2002, the game itself actually feels like it should have been released 7 years prior and really wants to be deus ex but can't quite pull it off. That said, it's not entirely unplayable it's just isn't quite there.

1. A promising shooter which ultimately ends not with the final movie, but an impassioned cry of “What the hell were you thinking?!”
  2. Has enough going for it in terms of graphics and gameplay to make it a better than average shooter.
  3. Chrome's strong points make it a shooter worth playing. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a good, albeit rough around the edges shooter experience.