7.2

1. Apr 3, 2013
    Oh good God! This game is... AMAZING!
    Let me tell you why this game, from an independent developer took SimCity's 2013 crown as the best city simulator:
    Oh good God! This game is... AMAZING!

1. This game HAS AGENTS! Just like the new SimCity 2013, don't believe me? Find a citizen on the street (the slang for the term citizen in this game is, ironically.. Cim) and you can follow the Cims in the city. They will do everyday tasks based on a schedule, which i will cover in a later reason why this game is better, they have a STABLE work place, and a STABLE house, not like the Sims in SC2013, who will randomly pick the closest available house and job every day.

2. The next reason why this game is better than SC2013, is related to the Cims. Since each Cim is interdependently simulated by the game, with its own daily routine, this will create traffic problems. Traffic in this game is way more realistic than the one in SC. The cars will actually park on the street (you have this type of road, which btw this game has more road options than all the SC games and Cities XL combined!). Once the car parks next to the job, house, etc, you can see the Cim GOING IN AND OUT of it! Most Cims have cars, close to SC, they will leave their cars and walk close to their work/home.

3. The time is more realistic than SC2013. It does indeed have a day/nigh cycle, but it also has a semi-realistic ingame clock. Each minute in the game is a second in real life, so an hour in the game lasts 1 minute in real life, and a day in the game lasts 24 minutes in real life (there are speed options). This does not stop here, there are weekdays, from Monday to Sunday, and the Cims are actually programmed to act according to these days, meaning you will get a huge rush hour Monday morning and Friday evening, but it will be less traffic on weekends, well less traffic between work and homes. Same applies to night hours, you will not see people wondering the streets at 2 AM... The weekend means that Cims will go to leisure places more.

4. Map size, the thing that in my opinion broke SC2013. I did not have time to compare the maps in this game, which by the way, it has a built in map editor, so people can go crazy and share maps, just like the old SC4 days, think of them as terraforming tools, they do just that, you can morph the terrain, add mountains, rivers, even build a city and use it to make a scenario like the good old Roller Coaster Tycoon days. Back to map size, the map is definitively bigger than the cities in SC2013, but there is a catch, it is a fixed map size, and there are only 6 available cities, different layouts, reliefs but same size, this is also the only available size in the map editor, but as i say, it is bigger than 2x2km, I say, it is somewhere close to 3x3km, I would dare to say that it is as big as the large map from SC4, but don't take my word for it.

5. City building, personally, I like it more that the city grows around your roads, it takes away the burden of micromanagement, comparing it to SC, which is the point of this review, it is better, not like SC2013 gives you many tools, just plop some zones and based on the road density, buildings plop out, well this mechanism is similar in CIM2, the road density affects the size of the building. There are no government buildings, the game generates them, which I think is better since it balances the services, like schools, police stations, etc. The only drawback here is that the schools, police and the rest of the government buildings do not generate education, security, etc, but they do generate work places for Cims. All in all, this is a much more simple city planning, and since SC2013 became so simple, from the two games, CIM2 has a better one. SC4 is still king at city planning, but we are talking about SC2013 here.

6. Mass transit. I will not say a lot here... SC2013 gives you bus stations, trains, which you cannot plop rails btw, and that is it... This game however give you buses, trams, trolleys, metros that can become elevated, and "boat buses". Not a lot of options compared to SC2013, but at least you can draw the lines wherever you want, create lines for each type, and not stay helplessly and watch your buses get stuck in a loop because the agent AI is broken...

7. Most important feature that makes CIM2 better than SC2013... IT HAS MULTIPLAYER.
    But with no DRM. It actually has a fun multiplayer, you can play with your friends, you share a city with them, but the city gets saves on YOUR computer (and YOUR friends if you play it together).... Let me repeat YOU CAN SAVE YOUR CITY ON YOUR COMPUTER..

So yea, a indie developer destroyed a franchise that ironically, inspired this type of games, but it destroyed itself as well because of corporate greed. Bravo Paradox, you sirs deserve all the internets in the world!
  2. Apr 9, 2013
    This game is, by leaps and bounds, the best city simulation game to come out in a while. Great AI pathing, impressive graphics, persistent sims, so many choices for transit it boggles the mind, and I could go on.

The initial learning curve is hard to get over, but it's well worth it. The tutorial wasn't done very well and doesn't really teach you how to jump head first into the first scenario. I recommend watching at least 1 youtube video on metros and reading up on reddit or another social media site to get past the curve.

Be prepared to dream about placing bus stops, trolley lines, and underground metros after the initial 10 hours or so of gameplay.
  3. Apr 2, 2013
    As a big fan of Cities in Motion 1 and the company behind it, Colossal Order, I had very high expectations for this sequel. I can honestly say that CiM 2 is amazing, and I think it is just what the fans wanted. The game is beautiful, the gameplay has been vastly improved and it is great that they've allowed gridless construction. In CiM 2 it really feels like you have complete control overAs a big fan of Cities in Motion 1 and the company behind it, Colossal Order, I had very high expectations for this sequel. I can honestly say that CiM 2 is amazing, and I think it is just what the fans wanted. The game is beautiful, the gameplay has been vastly improved and it is great that they've allowed gridless construction. In CiM 2 it really feels like you have complete control over the public transport in the city you are playing. Performance has been increased vastly. The frame rate no longer drops at high simulation speed. Of course there are a few glitches but I am certain they will be patched very soon. Colossal Order has always been listening to the players.
    The game is a must-buy for all simulation fans.
  4. Apr 3, 2013
    It's a brilliant game that offers a lot of possibilities to build and manage a transportation network, even though the visual presentation and the acoustics are rather mediocre.

From ferries and buses through to streetcars and metro, everything you (might) need to build your transportation empire is there. You are able to adjust ticket prices, define ticketing zones, manage timetables and to build a whole city from scratch with a huge amount of different road types (16?) which allow you to build a very detailed and complex road network. To name but a few, there are roads and avenues with multiple lanes, bus lanes and one way streets.

The game might be a little bit overwhelming in the beginning and one needs some time to get used to everything. The interface is a bit dated, but provides all information that is needed. If you are are familiar with with games like Transport Tycoon, Railroad Tycoon, OpenTTD, Simutrans or SimCity you shouldn't have much problems to get used to it and if you are looking for a game with a detailed mass transportation and traffic simulation then you will be happy. But please note that if you are looking for a city builder and care for beautiful graphics, this game isn't for you.
  5. Apr 2, 2013
    CIM2 is absolutely outstanding! It feels like all of those mods and custom content that was created by the community for CIM1 have been added to this game allowing so much more control and flexibility over its predecessor. Camera movement and other game controls are slightly different so it takes a little getting used to, but when you understand how the game works, it really comes into itsCIM2 is absolutely outstanding! It feels like all of those mods and custom content that was created by the community for CIM1 have been added to this game allowing so much more control and flexibility over its predecessor. Camera movement and other game controls are slightly different so it takes a little getting used to, but when you understand how the game works, it really comes into its own! Thumbs Up! Expand
  6. Apr 4, 2013
    I have never played CIM before, but this is a fantastic game! I'm not going back to Sim City anytime soon. The transportation simulation is really complex, it reminds me Transport Tycoon Deluxe, which was an amazing game of its time. Performance is also excellent! All four cores being used and gpu utilization is also good. So far it's perfect city simulation, I have to play it more to findI have never played CIM before, but this is a fantastic game! I'm not going back to Sim City anytime soon. The transportation simulation is really complex, it reminds me Transport Tycoon Deluxe, which was an amazing game of its time. Performance is also excellent! All four cores being used and gpu utilization is also good. So far it's perfect city simulation, I have to play it more to find any flaws. Expand
  7. Apr 4, 2013
    Cities in motion 2 is a huge improvement, and it fixes all the problems I had with the previous one. Cities in motion 2 is so much more in depth, and there's a lot less constraints or limits. This game is a shining example of what transportation sims should be like.
  8. Apr 4, 2013
    Not quite perfect. A great game with real control, real choices. The editor is a great idea but the lack of a grid is tricky for road laying. But this is nit picking. This game was built with less than 5% of the budget of Simcity...and the result is 5x better. Not having a go at EA, not being spiteful for the sake of it this is a better game than Simcity. It is in fact Sim city for aNot quite perfect. A great game with real control, real choices. The editor is a great idea but the lack of a grid is tricky for road laying. But this is nit picking. This game was built with less than 5% of the budget of Simcity...and the result is 5x better. Not having a go at EA, not being spiteful for the sake of it this is a better game than Simcity. It is in fact Sim city for a quarter of the cost to buy and 10x the pleaseure to play. Collapse
  9. Apr 13, 2013
    The simulator is very deep and intelligently designed, you have to take some time to experiment how things work, but once you get the grasp the possibilities are endless! Maybe just a bit weird UI and controls, however the latter can be customized to your liking. I highly recommend this game!
  10. Apr 3, 2013
    Cities in Motion 2 does much of what Cities in Motion could not. Realistic and dynamic cityscapes are the name of the game here as this iteration foregoes the gridlike trappings of the original. You can actually design transit systems and infrastructure that influence the way the city grows; new buildings will develop and appear along the roads, subways, and tramways that you build.

I

I had some concerns that this one would not run very well on my 2011 iMac, as the original would encounter framerate issues when you would speed up the simulation. My concerns were unwarranted as they seem to have optimized the graphics rendering so not only are they better, but they actually run better than the original. Awesome!

The only reason it is a 9 is because some aspects of the engine are a little dated, however, as transit simulations go this would seem to be the best on the market.
  11. Apr 3, 2013
    Greatly improved from last version though feels little unpolished. Metro lines can be annoying to build time to time and the UI is not even close as good as it was in the Cim1. But hopefully devs will fix these things soon.
  12. Apr 27, 2013
    Great game. If you're a fan of COMPLEX city simulators and the like, get it. The options for building public transit systems are endless. Underground tram? Check. Under/overpasses? Check. Pedestrian paths? Check. If you can think of it, you can build it here.

The game has its quirks, the UI is not great, building tram/metro lines is challenging at first, but once you get into it... it's great.
  13. Apr 5, 2013
    Fantastic Game, its not some dumb downed game that you can pick-up in 10 minutes. It takes lots of thought and skill to get it working as it should! I would highly recommend it!
  14. May 18, 2013
    A really delightfull game. But it's very difficult to make some profit. If you have patience to face a real challenging game you found one. Congratulations to Paradox in this alternative for SimCity.
  15. May 20, 2013
    Very good game. Who does not want to build in as Sim City, but the transport-system is right here. This game has clearly addictive and is a must for those who love simulations.
  16. May 26, 2013
    The most detailed transportation sim ever. A few bugs are currently being worked out by devs. Future updates may include more city building features which would make me feel better after getting burnt by the awful SimCity.
  17. Jan 14, 2014
    Der zweite Teil ist um einiges Umfangreicher in den Funktionen und Einstellungen, daher brauch es auch mehr Einarbeitung in den Ablauf und deren Funktionen. Die Grafik ist top und stellt sogar das neue SimCity in den Schatten. Ist jedenfalls meine Meinung. Mehr Spaß macht es jedenfalls! Viele Fehler des ersten Teils wurden ausgemerzt und um neue Funktionen erweitert.

Die Kosten für die

Die Kosten für die DLC sind angemessen. Jedenfalls wenn Sie mal wieder im Angebot sind. Die Zusammenstellung der Erweiterungen sind auch fairer gelöst als noch im ersten Teil. Man kann auf jeden Fall eine Menge Spaß mit dem Spiel haben. Die Zeit geht dabei jedenfalls rum wie nix. Sehr kurzweilig.
  18. Feb 26, 2014
    Great game, easy to play, very addictive and fun. Lots of options and downloadable content, never crashed on me and very cheap now on steam! Works well even on low end laptop, smooth graphics. Highly recommended!
  19. Apr 4, 2013

1. May 21, 2013
    Fiddly at times, and cursed with a lousy tutorial, the intricacy and scale of Cities in Motion 2 eventually shines through. [July 2013, p.74]
  2. May 13, 2013
    Cities in Motion 2 is great upgrade of the previous Cities. Bigger, better, but also much, much easier. [May 2013]
  3. May 13, 2013
    The biggest problem with Cities in Motion 2 is that this game is extremely user-unfriendly. Gameplay is sluggish even with the highest time compression and the interface contradicts ergonomics and intuition. [CD-Action 06/2013, p.80]