7.3

1. Apr 3, 2013
    Oh good God! This game is... AMAZING!
    Let me tell you why this game, from an independent developer took SimCity's 2013 crown as the best city simulator:

1. This game HAS AGENTS! Just like the new SimCity 2013, don't believe me? Find a citizen on the street (the slang for the term citizen in this game is, ironically.. Cim) and you can follow the Cims in the city. They will do everyday
    tasks based on a schedule, which i will cover in a later reason why this game is better, they have a STABLE work place, and a STABLE house, not like the Sims in SC2013, who will randomly pick the closest available house and job every day.

2. The next reason why this game is better than SC2013, is related to the Cims. Since each Cim is interdependently simulated by the game, with its own daily routine, this will create traffic problems. Traffic in this game is way more realistic than the one in SC. The cars will actually park on the street (you have this type of road, which btw this game has more road options than all the SC games and Cities XL combined!). Once the car parks next to the job, house, etc, you can see the Cim GOING IN AND OUT of it! Most Cims have cars, close to SC, they will leave their cars and walk close to their work/home.

3. The time is more realistic than SC2013. It does indeed have a day/nigh cycle, but it also has a semi-realistic ingame clock. Each minute in the game is a second in real life, so an hour in the game lasts 1 minute in real life, and a day in the game lasts 24 minutes in real life (there are speed options). This does not stop here, there are weekdays, from Monday to Sunday, and the Cims are actually programmed to act according to these days, meaning you will get a huge rush hour Monday morning and Friday evening, but it will be less traffic on weekends, well less traffic between work and homes. Same applies to night hours, you will not see people wondering the streets at 2 AM... The weekend means that Cims will go to leisure places more.

4. Map size, the thing that in my opinion broke SC2013. I did not have time to compare the maps in this game, which by the way, it has a built in map editor, so people can go crazy and share maps, just like the old SC4 days, think of them as terraforming tools, they do just that, you can morph the terrain, add mountains, rivers, even build a city and use it to make a scenario like the good old Roller Coaster Tycoon days. Back to map size, the map is definitively bigger than the cities in SC2013, but there is a catch, it is a fixed map size, and there are only 6 available cities, different layouts, reliefs but same size, this is also the only available size in the map editor, but as i say, it is bigger than 2x2km, I say, it is somewhere close to 3x3km, I would dare to say that it is as big as the large map from SC4, but don't take my word for it.

5. City building, personally, I like it more that the city grows around your roads, it takes away the burden of micromanagement, comparing it to SC, which is the point of this review, it is better, not like SC2013 gives you many tools, just plop some zones and based on the road density, buildings plop out, well this mechanism is similar in CIM2, the road density affects the size of the building. There are no government buildings, the game generates them, which I think is better since it balances the services, like schools, police stations, etc. The only drawback here is that the schools, police and the rest of the government buildings do not generate education, security, etc, but they do generate work places for Cims. All in all, this is a much more simple city planning, and since SC2013 became so simple, from the two games, CIM2 has a better one. SC4 is still king at city planning, but we are talking about SC2013 here.

6. Mass transit. I will not say a lot here... SC2013 gives you bus stations, trains, which you cannot plop rails btw, and that is it... This game however give you buses, trams, trolleys, metros that can become elevated, and "boat buses". Not a lot of options compared to SC2013, but at least you can draw the lines wherever you want, create lines for each type, and not stay helplessly and watch your buses get stuck in a loop because the agent AI is broken...

7. Most important feature that makes CIM2 better than SC2013... IT HAS MULTIPLAYER.
    But with no DRM. It actually has a fun multiplayer, you can play with your friends, you share a city with them, but the city gets saves on YOUR computer (and YOUR friends if you play it together).... Let me repeat YOU CAN SAVE YOUR CITY ON YOUR COMPUTER..

So yea, a indie developer destroyed a franchise that ironically, inspired this type of games, but it destroyed itself as well because of corporate greed. Bravo Paradox, you sirs deserve all the internets in the world!
  2. Apr 3, 2013
    As a newcomer to this series, and after hearing about the recent disaster of SimCity, I thought that dropping $20 on a decent-looking city simulator would be ok. Got in-game, and very quickly was overwhelmed at the transportation aspect of it. Very complex to pick up, but then again games like this shine with its complexity. So many options you could imagine. Plus, the level editor gives you full reign over the size, shape, and density of your city, which appears to be perpetually successful, at least visually. The main challenge is to keep your city happy with public transportation, which is more fun that it sounds, especially if you've ever enjoyed train simulators, or similar. It definitely has it's flaws, such as movement controls, but I think I will have hours of fun experimenting, building, and expanding with this game. Expand
  3. Apr 3, 2013
    This looks like it could be a great game but it's really complicated, much more then the first one was. It has a lot of improvements over CiM, but some of it's drawbacks. It's now gridless, which is good, but the metro lines are like the rail lines in the first editor, very finicky on how they'll link up. So add that to the gridless and I found laying out track very frustrating. The ability to have lines auto resolve (kind of like what Sid Mier's Railway tycoon did) would really help.
    Each line needs a depot, which adds a new element, but connecting depots to all your lines with the exception of the bus, could be a bit of a pain.
    The new elevation system is much more powerful but less intuitive. Instead of simply clicking on a depth icon you use the page up or down to change elevation, which you have to pay close attention to because so far I've seen no way to tell what elevation everything else is. You also will still see all the roads when you go lower which I found a bit weird, it be nice to be able to toggle this behavior.
    I've also found that it's a bit harder to make sure your tram is running in the right direction. The tutorial (so far) and manual don't give nearly enough information and guidance on how everything fits and works together. Like many European games it's really detailed and has a ton of depth. And like many European games it will take a bit of work to really master. For some that will be a challenge to others a PITA. I'm just not sure which one I'll be. If you loved CiM you'l most likely like this one, and possibly love it once it grows on you. If you only liked CiM I'd give it a pass. And if you've never played CiM, I'd give it a shot before this one.
    The one good thing is that with CiM they was improvements made to the game as time went on. Hopefully Paradox will see the area's that need to be improved and do their utmost to fix them.
  4. May 21, 2013
    This was a pretty big let-down for me, personally. I love just about everything which comes out of Paradox, love economic sims, and I love complexity. Heck, I still follow and play openTTD.

Unfortunately, while the game is very complex, there's just not much depth in CiM2. There's no real progression, poor balance (just take out a massive initial loan, build a metro going over most of
    the city, and you're done), the challenges are mostly waiting games (in city "revisits," you frequently need to do absolutely nothing to win just wait for money to accumulate from lines you set up in earlier levels), and you're stuck with maybe 15-ish vehicles total for 6 different types of transportation (three of them operating effectively the same way). The non-story challenges are just silly, with many people asking you to build a line somewhere already covered, but they want direct (and unprofitable for me!) passage from point X to point Y instead of needing to use multiple lines. There's another which pops up every now and then which offers cash for purchasing x vehicles, which is just really lazy on the devs' part it's not fun and quirky, it's lazy and uncaring.

The game gets particularly tedious in designing lines, where you're just going along roads clicking a mouse button over, and over, and over. That's just to set stations up. Then you need to click the same 50-200 objects all over so vehicles know where to move. -No, you can't just have the game go linearly through the stations you just set up (station 1, then station 2, then station 3, etc) that'd be too "simple." Micromanagement gets worse when you're constantly changing ticket prices back and forth because "there's an economy." This is supposed to be what's keeping you engaged while you wait for more money, but these are really the times the game annoyed me because I knew I had to keep switching to the CiM2 window to babysit my company. It adds complexity, but not depth there's no meaning, or feeling of accomplishment, it's just there to take time up. The people in the city aren't interesting, there aren't interesting problems to solve, designing lines wasn't interesting after the first few, and it just really lacks the engagement I expect out of econ sims and Paradox games. In games like CK2, you CREATE an engaging narrative, facilitated by the game. In CiM2, there's just no narrative to create. "Today, I made lots of money and moved a lot of people I have no reason to care about. Tomorrow, I will move more people because a dialogue box told me that's what I'm supposed to do."

Occasionally (after 1-3 hours of play, generally), it'd CTD, and that'd annoy me, but I kind of expect that out of sim games.

I went through the entire game, thinking there was going to be something new introduced or some exciting game mode if I kept slogging through levels, but there wasn't. I finished the last level, a dialogue box popped up saying I won, and depressed me by having me wonder what else I could've done with my time. Quite honestly, I preferred traffic management in SimCity4, and SimCity4 has many, many more mods, much more depth to gameplay, and just more content all-around.
  5. Apr 9, 2013
    This game is, by leaps and bounds, the best city simulation game to come out in a while. Great AI pathing, impressive graphics, persistent sims, so many choices for transit it boggles the mind, and I could go on.

The initial learning curve is hard to get over, but it's well worth it. The tutorial wasn't done very well and doesn't really teach you how to jump head first into the first
    scenario. I recommend watching at least 1 youtube video on metros and reading up on reddit or another social media site to get past the curve.

Be prepared to dream about placing bus stops, trolley lines, and underground metros after the initial 10 hours or so of gameplay.
  6. Jun 3, 2013
    When I finished playing the campaign I stopped playing. The annoying and unintuitive UI just gets me down to bother going around again,

Issues with building glitches like being stopped by "water" when building underground metros when no water exists. If you delete the line and build again the water mysteriously disappears. It got old very fast.

Poor pedestrian and traffic AI will
    destroy your best efforts at smooth flow of people and only destruction and rebuilds fixes the problem however building/redoing bus lines (the simplest available) after a while becomes tedious and bothering to doing it properly becomes all too hard.

Nice zoom gfx down to person level from the height of a jet only keeps you interested for a short time and although the game has huge potential it falls short in longevity. Too much effort in eye-candy seems to be the norm these days.

It got 76 hours in total and this is from someone who played Eurotruck 2 for nearly 600 hours. Go figure...
  7. Apr 2, 2013
    This game needs a bit of work. I had high expectations, but I was unable to play the game for more than a few hours before becoming frustrated, mainly with the UI. Fingers crossed that the dev team will stay behind it and push out updates.
    For starters, attempting to build an underground metro is torture. Roads and metro tunnels get in the way of viewing track, and unlike CiM 1, you have
    to build the track first and then station second. Which is slightly frustrating. Fortunately, many community members are pointing out these and others to the devs on the official forums in hopes that they're improved on in the near future.
    I enjoyed CiM 1 and I hope to see this release in the franchise improved upon to, well, the point where it feels like it's actually a finished game. At this moment (release day), I feel a little to frustrated by it to play. Fingers crossed!
    Good to see it's release wasn't quite as botched as SimCity's! Although it did have a hiccup or two.
    Hopefully I'll be able to bump up my rating soon.
  8. Apr 2, 2013
    As a big fan of Cities in Motion 1 and the company behind it, Colossal Order, I had very high expectations for this sequel. I can honestly say that CiM 2 is amazing, and I think it is just what the fans wanted. The game is beautiful, the gameplay has been vastly improved and it is great that they've allowed gridless construction. In CiM 2 it really feels like you have complete control over the public transport in the city you are playing. Performance has been increased vastly. The frame rate no longer drops at high simulation speed. Of course there are a few glitches but I am certain they will be patched very soon. Colossal Order has always been listening to the players.
    The game is a must-buy for all simulation fans.
  9. Jul 26, 2013
    The game has such amount of micro management that after 30 minutes trying to put a track on the right place you will realize that in the past hour you had no fun at all.
  10. Jun 1, 2013
    Spent many hours and ~10 retries, unable to make any substantial profits on the 1-st level. The UI is unusable. There's no e.g. "close all windows" hotkey. No way to move windows. Every window has its own unique close button in different parts of it. The construction UI is extremely hard to use. The "Tickets price" UI is hard to use, it sometimes require about 100 clicks on different small "up" buttons, very entertaining. Expand
  11. Aug 25, 2013
    A promising game ruined by poor programming and design.

The UI is unusable it took me about 2 hours to be able to build a metro line that actually works. Unhelpful error messages during the process don't help. Nor does the fact that you can misclick by one pixel and not realise meaning you're bankrupt and have a line that doesn't work. Other examples of the terrible UI include lists of
    vehicles that use the same icon for every vehicle yes, you really have to mouse over each entry in the list to tell them apart, and even then you still need to know the capacity associated with each vehicle name, because even when mousing over, only the name is actually displayed if the vehicle is currently in a depot. Very helpful and well thought out...

The tutorial is as clear as mud it consists of telling you to do things that are self evident such as place some stops and connect them but DOESN'T tell you how the game actually works or what to look out for. The end of the tutorial is supposed to be you building a metro line, but the only info you're given is "build a metro line". There's no info on how to actually place metro tracks so they're not red (i.e. unplaceable), or more importantly, how to build the metro underground. So it's click click click, that's not working, click click click, god this is frustrating... click click click, you know what I give up.

Once you've finally surmounted these unnecessary issues, you're left with a game whose core mechanics are flawed. City growth can at best be described as "random" and more truthfully as "broken". Industry spreads like cancer all over a city, especially to high value areas with high traffic where high rise offices and housing ought to be. Build a new road and the "intelligent" game plonks 3 schools right next to another. Then, 3 minutes later, it removes the schools and build something else for nor apparent reason. Passengers would rather walk for 30 minutes than go another stop on the bus they're already on. Ticket prices require changing every couple of hours, but this again seems random rather than due to anything related to your network and quickly becomes boring and repetitive.

Unfortunately, the game is already in that stage where DLC is being released regularly, so chances are the core mechanics aren't going to be fixed. What the devs really need to do is take the best parts of CiM 1 and the best parts of CiM 2 and weed out the serious flaws in both games. If they actually got their act together, they'd be on to a winner. As it is they've released 2 games that are halfway there but have such serious issues that you begin to wonder if the series is ever going to go anywhere.

At any rate, my advice to anyone still considering buying CiM2 would be to wait for the next game. This one doesn't cut the mustard and ends up being an exercise in frustration rather than fun.
  12. Apr 3, 2013
    It's a brilliant game that offers a lot of possibilities to build and manage a transportation network, even though the visual presentation and the acoustics are rather mediocre.

From ferries and buses through to streetcars and metro, everything you (might) need to build your transportation empire is there. You are able to adjust ticket prices, define ticketing zones, manage timetables
    and to build a whole city from scratch with a huge amount of different road types (16?) which allow you to build a very detailed and complex road network. To name but a few, there are roads and avenues with multiple lanes, bus lanes and one way streets.

The game might be a little bit overwhelming in the beginning and one needs some time to get used to everything. The interface is a bit dated, but provides all information that is needed. If you are are familiar with with games like Transport Tycoon, Railroad Tycoon, OpenTTD, Simutrans or SimCity you shouldn't have much problems to get used to it and if you are looking for a game with a detailed mass transportation and traffic simulation then you will be happy. But please note that if you are looking for a city builder and care for beautiful graphics, this game isn't for you.
  13. Apr 2, 2013
    CIM2 is absolutely outstanding! It feels like all of those mods and custom content that was created by the community for CIM1 have been added to this game allowing so much more control and flexibility over its predecessor. Camera movement and other game controls are slightly different so it takes a little getting used to, but when you understand how the game works, it really comes into its own! Thumbs Up! Collapse
  14. Apr 4, 2013
    Cities in motion 2 is a huge improvement, and it fixes all the problems I had with the previous one. Cities in motion 2 is so much more in depth, and there's a lot less constraints or limits. This game is a shining example of what transportation sims should be like.
  15. Jul 4, 2013
    A mediocre sequel of an excellent game. It's like Cities in Motion 2 came before the first one.

Gameplay is much worse and complicated you have to invest a great deal of time to learn and some things don't make sense. Depot in every neighborhood buses break down too frequently, too many information tabs, but no real information at all. The campaign is also boring, without real
    challenge. Sandbox mode on the contrary is decent and the editor is also fine. Graphics are almost the same and blase and the sound boring.

Pros are the low price, 20€ is a fine price for a game and the Title of the Game. Hopefully we will see some improvements from the company soon.
  16. Oct 26, 2013
    Bought this game this morning, but was disappointed that it couldn't run lag-free. I even tried lowering the graphics setting to its lowest point but it still lags. The trailer for this looks amazing and even some of the game play done by others. If I can run The Sims 3 on its highest settings, I could have done the same for this game. Some people cannot afford a graphics video card ya know. Being a simulation game, I'll just rate a 5/10 on this. Expand
  17. Dec 1, 2013
    Half of the reviews on this page are fake rubbish... I'm surprised as any spammer can register, give a vote (usually 0 or 10) and leave undisturbed, his vote untouchable... Ok, check out my account as well, at least this review was written by a "serious" person (I hope) :) The game: - dripping with promises, intriguing, tempting... - and so poorly executed in some CRUCIAL mechanisms, that one wonders if the developers have ever actually played a management simulation game!

I focus on the main point that make me literally "scream": manage the speed of the game...
    Also setting MAX speed, the game is soooooo slow that take ages only to finish a stupid working week...

Oh, ok, I can change it through the settings, right? You mean these incredible and stupid list of about THREE hundred voices?
    Ok, can I just set time to be more... "fast"? No problem, but, if you want to change also "how" the world go fast meanwhile, you have to change these other settings... and this other... and find an improbable balance (yeah, I know it's difficult to understand, but this is HOW it actually works the game!).

And so it's practically impossible to change game speed... because, also if you manage to find an "ideal" setting, the game is NOT BEING BUILD to change ANY of these settings and make it work, so you'll find innumerable errors, that make this game look as a business simulation game like a Barbie(TM) game would look like!

And why the city are so small and grow so slowly? Why my commuters return at home (from work) at 11 of evening? Why some bugs don't let me set a normal ferry service?

It's a game that brings many "why"...

But the first, surely is: WHY I have spent 30 euros (game expansion), many restart, and 60 hours of my precious time to play on it, waiting and hoping for the next patch?
  18. Apr 4, 2013
    Not quite perfect. A great game with real control, real choices. The editor is a great idea but the lack of a grid is tricky for road laying. But this is nit picking. This game was built with less than 5% of the budget of Simcity...and the result is 5x better. Not having a go at EA, not being spiteful for the sake of it this is a better game than Simcity. It is in fact Sim city for a quarter of the cost to buy and 10x the pleaseure to play. Expand
  19. Apr 4, 2013
    I have never played CIM before, but this is a fantastic game! I'm not going back to Sim City anytime soon. The transportation simulation is really complex, it reminds me Transport Tycoon Deluxe, which was an amazing game of its time. Performance is also excellent! All four cores being used and gpu utilization is also good. So far it's perfect city simulation, I have to play it more to find any flaws. Expand
  20. May 19, 2013
    Darn it Paradox.

I love your games, I love CK2 and I adored the first CiM. I have 41 hours in it and loved every bit and was so excited for the new one, but it is just too buggy. I get random crashes every 15, and I can't find any solutions. If they fix it, I will change my review but until then, it really isn't worth buying.
    So frustrating.
    The game is fun, and that's what makes me
    so angry. You are busy enjoying the game and then it crashes, and you lost your progress. Expand
  21. Apr 13, 2013
    The simulator is very deep and intelligently designed, you have to take some time to experiment how things work, but once you get the grasp the possibilities are endless! Maybe just a bit weird UI and controls, however the latter can be customized to your liking. I highly recommend this game!
  22. May 19, 2013
    I was a bit scared at launch. A very good communication with customers and fantastic listening, 3 weeks later, most of the requests are satisfied. Game play is very good with a lot of flexibility in the game rules. Congratulations to Paradox game and all the teams for your hard work.
  23. Apr 3, 2013
    Cities in Motion 2 does much of what Cities in Motion could not. Realistic and dynamic cityscapes are the name of the game here as this iteration foregoes the gridlike trappings of the original. You can actually design transit systems and infrastructure that influence the way the city grows; new buildings will develop and appear along the roads, subways, and tramways that you build.

I
    had some concerns that this one would not run very well on my 2011 iMac, as the original would encounter framerate issues when you would speed up the simulation. My concerns were unwarranted as they seem to have optimized the graphics rendering so not only are they better, but they actually run better than the original. Awesome!

The only reason it is a 9 is because some aspects of the engine are a little dated, however, as transit simulations go this would seem to be the best on the market.
  24. Apr 3, 2013
    Greatly improved from last version though feels little unpolished. Metro lines can be annoying to build time to time and the UI is not even close as good as it was in the Cim1. But hopefully devs will fix these things soon.
  25. Apr 11, 2013
    Cities in Motion 2 is a game which put transport tycoons to a new level. When you are starting the game, it creeps a little that you don't know what you have to do. That's Cities in Motion 2 main fault. The tutorial covers not all of the items that are important to start your own transport tycoon,it's hard to understand how everything works,but when you got the hang of it,the game itself will take you through you journey. Also,it is quite nice that they thought about a sandbox game mode. It is not standard in this genre,but it makes it a little bit more interesting to get yourself in the game!

N.I. This is my first review,don't be mad at me!
  26. May 19, 2013
    Big fan of city building, i like depth in a game and this is an ok game if it would work. But it's buggy, very buggy. Getting fatal errors every 20 minuyte (seriously) and being left in the dark by support is too much to win my heart with an no more than ok game.
  27. Jun 3, 2013
    I have updated Cities in Motion 2 with the latest patch (1.2.2) and it seems to have more glitches than ever!

The trams get stuck at intersections forever, they move forward (block the intersection) and sit there indefinitely. My trams and buses also get stuck behind invisible traffic. They inch up like they would if slow congested traffic is ahead of them, and once in a while a
    car will become visible.

I am deleting glitched vehicles constantly.

This game would be the best if they could fix the glitches.
  28. Sep 19, 2013
    First Cities in Motion was one of the finest sim experiences I ever had. I pre-ordered CIM 2 but I regret I did as I was quite disappointed. The biggest drawback that it feels like the game could have been more polished.
    I deeply dislike their DLC policy to make the game more complete and they are very expensive for just few models.
  29. Jun 29, 2013
    Cities in motion 2 is a great simulation game if you decide to spend the time and effort on learning the UI and city micromanagement.
    I would stick to sandbox because if you play campaign you'd spend an hour just waiting for a couple thousand dollars to roll in.
  30. Apr 21, 2013
    For a $20 game, you can't expect everything, but Cities In Motion 2 does have quite a lot running for it which is good. If you like meticulously planning public transport then you're simply not going to find a better game. There is perhaps a lack of content in terms of maps and vehicles etc. which might put off some but the core game still does work and it really does look beautiful, I did spend a good few hours just admiring the scenery before I even started laying down routes.

But your routes aren't limited to the tracks you place, you can also put roads wherever you please, create new expressways that link right into the heart of your city or divert traffic from problem roads. At first glance you don't realise the full scope of what you can do here and if building a utopian city where everybody can get where they want to go with the greatest of comfort, ease and luxury then this game will give you that opportunity, provided you have the skills necessary.
  31. Oct 1, 2013
    A solid 7 for this game, with issues that prevent a higher score. Why buy this game? It is really nice to look at, for a city sim you get a feel of permanence of the needs of the city, has no bugs (for me), and is a relaxing pleasant way to spend an hour or two designing bus/tram/metro lanes and stops. But, it's worth noting why you shouldn't spend over $20 on it nor give it a higher score. 1) Metro & road building is painful. 2) The game is not difficult, the UI and how they implement stuff has made it so. 3) It's slightly sim-city lite by allowing building of roads to expand a city, I would prefer them to focus on fixing building better metro lines instead. 4) Music is pretty bland. 5) The campaign mode lacks AI competitors to push you along more. 6) The various graphs and general information provided is useless, pointless or just never touched. 7) Stop telling me ticket prices are too high/low, I choose based on what I want. And in the same vein 8) have an ability to turn off notifications, or at least the sound that goes with each. In summary, the core of the game is good, beautiful and nice to play. Most strategy fans should be able to get 50-100 hours enjoyment out of it. It's just a shame that it's the outlier issues off poor UI and poorly implemented elements that bring frustration in at each play, limiting the sit down value for me to about an hour each time before I have to quit. Expand
  32. Apr 27, 2013
    Great game. If you're a fan of COMPLEX city simulators and the like, get it. The options for building public transit systems are endless. Underground tram? Check. Under/overpasses? Check. Pedestrian paths? Check. If you can think of it, you can build it here.

The game has its quirks, the UI is not great, building tram/metro lines is challenging at first, but once you get into it... it's great.
  33. Apr 6, 2013
    It's about as intuitive and welcoming as an old copy of Microsoft Access, but CiM2 has a surprising amount of charm beneath its busy GUI. The main engine has had an overhaul and unlike Glassbox it doesn't suck and ruin the game. After a couple hours you'll get a feel for the logic of game and sort through the idiosyncrasies of the typically European design. It's not perfect and the first patch should iron out some of the quirks but it's certainly a deeper, better looking and more satisfying game than the original. Expand
  34. Apr 5, 2013
    Fantastic Game, its not some dumb downed game that you can pick-up in 10 minutes. It takes lots of thought and skill to get it working as it should! I would highly recommend it!
  35. May 18, 2013
    A really delightfull game. But it's very difficult to make some profit. If you have patience to face a real challenging game you found one. Congratulations to Paradox in this alternative for SimCity.
  36. May 20, 2013
    Very good game. Who does not want to build in as Sim City, but the transport-system is right here. This game has clearly addictive and is a must for those who love simulations.
  37. May 26, 2013
    The most detailed transportation sim ever. A few bugs are currently being worked out by devs. Future updates may include more city building features which would make me feel better after getting burnt by the awful SimCity.
  38. May 31, 2013
    This is a fairly good game, the graphics are good. But to me, it doesn't seem to have ENOUGH. I got bored of it pretty quick, mostly because of all the constant lag I had been experiencing. The game is also very complicated and the tutorial I find is very un helpful. I would tell you guys to try CiM1, and make sure you like that ALOT before getting CiM2.
  39. Mar 5, 2014
    A great game hampered by just one important thing : UI.

First hand, this game is a great mass transit simulator, not a city simulator like Sim City series. Though the Sim City 5 is a total disaster, in hindsight of city building simulator the game you should be purchasing is Sim City 4. Sim City 4 do have their own mass transit, but off course, Cities in Motion 2 have deeper simulation
    on the mass-transit side, and way less simulation on the city building. That's why we can't compare this game to Sim City series, and why this game will not kill Sim City series.

The game itself is great, and fun. There are myriads of options for your mass transit. You can have buses, trolleys, water buses, metros, and trams, though I miss helicopter rides from the previous series. The premise of this game is simple : Connect residential areas to commercial/industrial areas (just like what we must do with mass transit in Sim City series). Each mass transit mode have their own benefits and disadvantages. Buses are simple to build and cheap, but slow and have lower capacity. Trams require tram tracks to be built, but faster and have higher capacity. Metros require metro tracks, which are expensive (and hard to be built) but have even higher capacity, unhindered by traffic, and way faster.

The only downside, but a big one, is the UI.
    I can live with cluttered information, or too much information on screen. But here are things that are very bad in Cities in Motion 2 :
    - It's really hard to build Metros, due to weird elevation system. The elevation system itself is great, but the lack of information of how much depth I am at is making us hard to do anything underground.
    - It's hard to build on built-up areas or city with tall buildings, because the game doesn't have the option to "show only your transportation system"
    - The scheduling is confusing, but can still be handled if you experimented with it.

That's it. If you love simulation, this game should be grabbed.
  40. Dec 3, 2013
    This could be an awesome game, but after ten or so hours of trying it makes me want to pull my hair out.

The city looks great, the idea is great, but over all it falls short. My overall impression is that it was rushed to release and simply is not finished. Or that the people behind it are lacking the skill to turn a fantastic idea into a great software product. In parts, it looks like
    someone took a game from the 90's, tried to build a good modern game and stopped about 70% of the way. If you don't believe it, look at the loading screen and the tutorial.

My main concerns are twofold. For once, the user interface (besides being ugly) is just frustrating as hell. Some simple tasks like changing a bus schedule take 10 or 20 clicks, windows get in the way (I was constantly moving windows around that opened in the middle of the screen covering what I wanted to see), and keyboard shortcuts for functions that you use all the time are simply missing.

Within an hour I had about 10 ideas of how to make building about two times more effective. I would accept this as a prerelease game, where the studio says "it still have to go a long way and we're looking for feedback" but not as a full product.

Then the building. Making routes for bus is somewhat fiddly but building tram routes is utterly frustrating. E.g. I was laying tracks then couldn't connect them, or I could connect the tracks, but then when building a tram route on them the system would say, it could not get a route from one tram stop to the next.

In addition to that, there is some odd thing with the general timing. A bus tour around four blocks takes two hours of game-time (starts in game clock at 12:00 and arrives at 14:00) which makes the whole schedule building somewhat arbitrary (I mean, how can you simulate a work person who commutes 3h to work, one-way). As a result, people are going to work or shopping at midnight and stuff like that, so the effect of trying to build a schedule is totally un-immersive.

Over all I must say, the game has very nice in game graphics and a great idea, but the whole execution is half baked. If you expect to be able to effectively build your stuff or to get a halfway realistic simulation, don't buy it.
  41. Jun 11, 2014
    This is the worst city sim ever. I have never played such a boring game, it looked so bad that I quit after 5 minutes. The only thing it was good for was to leave playing in the background to get my playing cards which I could sell to recoup some of my money that I foolishly wasted on this game. Also, no tutorials, so when you play be prepared to constantly be looking at Youtube to learn how to play. Expand
  42. Jan 14, 2014
    Der zweite Teil ist um einiges Umfangreicher in den Funktionen und Einstellungen, daher brauch es auch mehr Einarbeitung in den Ablauf und deren Funktionen. Die Grafik ist top und stellt sogar das neue SimCity in den Schatten. Ist jedenfalls meine Meinung. Mehr Spaß macht es jedenfalls! Viele Fehler des ersten Teils wurden ausgemerzt und um neue Funktionen erweitert.

Die Kosten für die
    DLC sind angemessen. Jedenfalls wenn Sie mal wieder im Angebot sind. Die Zusammenstellung der Erweiterungen sind auch fairer gelöst als noch im ersten Teil. Man kann auf jeden Fall eine Menge Spaß mit dem Spiel haben. Die Zeit geht dabei jedenfalls rum wie nix. Sehr kurzweilig. Expand
  43. Dec 29, 2013
    pros: - The game is really nice, looks nice, user interface is ok etc - highway system is really a big step forward for gaming. - never tried CiM 1 so for me is big step after Transport Tycoon. - real cities easy to download from community cons: - I hate that there are only 3 vehicles for each type of transport feel bit rip-off and pushed to buy DLC's. Good old Transport Tycoon had way more choice!
    - small area
    - memory leaks causing vehicles to stop blocking whole line, can't really run city bigger than 150k people with 4GB of RAM as game will take ~3GB !!
    - bit boring after a while
  44. Jan 20, 2014
    In Cities In Motion 2 you take on the role of citywide PT coordinator, planner and builder. It is your job to service the needs of the public by building a profitable public transport network. This is achieved by planning and building a network of bus, trolley, tram, metro and water bus lines, creating their timetables, buying and maintaining vehicles, and setting fares. It can be thought of a bit like a modern-day PT & city based version of Transport Tycoon Deluxe.

The game can be played in campaign mode or sandbox mode. Campaign mode is good for those who want challenges in a more game-like mode, whilst sandbox mode plays more like a simulator and allows the would-be transport mogul to build the empire of their desires. In both modes agents will throw up quests, asking you to, say, build a line between two buildings, transport ‘x’ amount of workers along a new route, or service a particular area. These are great little money spinners; however in sandbox mode they feel bothersome rather than contributing to the overall game play. There is also a multi-player option, and although I haven’t explored this I assume it allows for multiple players to build and compete against each other.

Graphically the game looks nice enough. There is a wide range of buildings, trees, and other structures with more available from DLC, but the real detail comes from the roads. Lanes and intersections are beautifully marked out, and there are detailed touches such as the “Walk/Don’t Walk” pedestrian signals. Despite these features the game can look a little bland. Perhaps this is due in part to the somewhat drab colors and the business-like user interface. Most modern video cards should be able to handle this game, but the highest detail levels will require a decent card.

The in-game audio is nothing special. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear one or more of the game’s Muzak-inspired tracks the next time I take an elevator or go grocery shopping. To be honest it’s pretty insipid, so I recommend turning it off. However the effects are reasonable, with the sounds of the hustle and bustle of the city and your transport fleet adding to the ambiance.

One thing that impressed me was the curvature of the roads and rails. Older transport-oriented games such as TTD and A-Train use a top-down isometric grid over which roads and rails are built, leading to very squarish layouts. But CIM2 allows these things to be built in with Bezier curves and in true 3D. The result is very realistic looking maps, and the setting of a new standard of which all future transport games should aspire to.

The ability to set details on fares and timetables will please micro-managers. The fare table displays every fare across all modes of transport and transport zones. Each fare changes color depending on whether it’s set too high or too low. Customer satisfaction improves the desirable fare levels, and conversely drops when customers become annoyed. As each customer is an independent agent you can click on customers waiting at stops or traveling in vehicles and check on their mood. An emoticon will appear at stops where there are annoyed customers, allowing players to quickly observe when to improve service levels or drop fares. It is therefore in planners’ interests to keep moods buoyant so as to allow for higher fares, which of course means more income (unless you’re playing with unlimited funds). A nice realistic touch is the ability to alter the carrying capacity of vehicles beyond their official rated capacity, which means cash-strapped players can bleed the most out of their current infrastructure at the expense of customer satisfaction.

My main criticism of CIM2 is of the user interface. It seems that the developers have put all the effort into the game mechanics and implemented the UI as an afterthought. It’s difficult enough to create a tram route, let alone a metro track, the latter of which almost requires an engineering degree to master. There is little assistance given to players when laying tracks and connecting them to depots, other than a few inadequate error messages. Placing stops is also fraught with hazards, as it is very easy to misplace a tram stop on a multi-lane road. That said there are no complexities such as signalling that are found in games like TTD. For this reason it’s best for new players to play the game in sandbox mode with unlimited funds, and to be prepared to spend at least five or six hours learning the basics. Fortunately the user community has created some good tutorials, so it’s worth searching for and watching these to cut your learning time down.

Cities in Motion 2 is a great game trapped in a crap game’s interface. There are many hours of enjoyment to be had for those willing to take on the challenge of learning its tricky UI. However those wanting something a little easier and quicker to learn and play might be better passing this one up.
  45. Feb 18, 2014
    The system is great. The time table is great. The vehicles are pretty good. But why a bad rating?
    When you closely observe what your passengers are doing, you get mad. They get out of Line A, (sometimes walk a pretty long distance to) struggle to get on Line B, take a few stops and get out, now guess what? They continue on Line A. Yeah, some direction! This make all the good ideas
    designing this game meaningless. And worst of all, make all my ideas designing my trans. system meaningless. I'm like, couping with a crowd of insane CO made passengers.
    You make a big network, you observe, and you know how terrible and broken the AI path-finding is.
    What's even worse, CO(producer of this game) denied this problem, several times. They said it's working good according to their design. Now I can give the negative rate. I won't vote low just because the game has a problem. In fact, I allow developers find and fix problems because I gave them feed-backs.
    Now that they said the path-finding is OK in their opinion. Well, then their game deserves a 1 out of 10 voting.
  46. Feb 26, 2014
    Great game, easy to play, very addictive and fun. Lots of options and downloadable content, never crashed on me and very cheap now on steam! Works well even on low end laptop, smooth graphics. Highly recommended!
  47. Mar 31, 2014
    This game is a huge disappointment. If you are interested in this concept, play Cities in Motion 1 instead, for all its flaws, CiM1 is a far superior and more enjoyable game.

I love Cities in Motion 1 and was excitedly looking forward to the sequel but it fails in every respect. Instead of taking the existing, functioning, and very fun CiM1 and improving upon it, it feels like the
    developers started from complete scratch.

What you're left with is an enjoyable experience that is more akin to literally working at your city's transit authority than playing a game which simulates it. Spreadsheets and boring route planning are the name of the "game" in CiM2.

Here are some examples of ways this game is worse than its predecessor:

## The graphics are much worse, both in quality and art direction.

CiM2 looks like the textbook definition of "generic." The colors are drab, the buildings are uninteresting, and all the cities look and feel identical.

## The UI is cluttered and incredibly confusing.

This could have been an excellent area of improvement over CiM1 but instead the UI is just a complete mess. Dialog boxes litter the screen. Important information is buried or not shown. Icons convey little to no information and are reused over and over again providing no distinction between, for example, different buses.

## Instead of adding depth, they added layers of required and uninteresting micromanagement.

For example, in CiM1 one aspect that I felt was severely lacking was the ability to space out vehicles on a route or provide an actual schedule for their arrival. If you had a long bus line, when you started it every bus would start from the same station; leading to an inefficient route where all your buses arrive at a stop back-to-back and then passengers wait for eternity until they all come around again.

It would have been so easy to simply fix this issue by automatically distributing them evenly and providing a timetable scheduling as a more advanced option. Instead, CiM2 provides the most convoluted scheduling interface imaginable.

## You are required to build depots to support each of your transit routes.

There is nothing wrong with this in concept, but in practice they take up such a huge footprint that the cities hardly look like they could support any residents. What city on earth has bus/tram/etc depots seemingly every other block?!

## Most of the provided cities DON'T ACTUALLY NEED PUBLIC TRANSIT.

This was the killer for me. I loaded up one of the biggest cities the game offers, excited to tackle its transit problems. I switched to the heatmap to see areas of congestion, and literally, without exaggeration, there were absolutely no traffic problems in this entire huge city aside from a single highway off-ramp.

So instead of needlessly building out a myriad of complex public transit options, I just demolished the onramp and replaced it with a larger multi-lane one with a left-hand-turn lane. Speed up game-time and after a couple months the problem went away.

So... transit problems solved. That was fun.

If this were real-life I suppose I could use my copious free-time as City Transit Manager to perhaps play some computer games. Since CiM2 (supposedly) IS a game I'm left wondering WTF the point of playing it is.
  48. Jul 19, 2014
    Cities in Motion was great but this version is awful. Can't fathom it out even with the tutorial. Try to build a line and the screen gets covered in boxes so you can't see the map.
    UTTER RUBBISH!! I will stay with the original game
  49. Apr 2, 2013

1. May 21, 2013
    Fiddly at times, and cursed with a lousy tutorial, the intricacy and scale of Cities in Motion 2 eventually shines through. [July 2013, p.74]
  2. May 13, 2013
    Cities in Motion 2 is great upgrade of the previous Cities. Bigger, better, but also much, much easier. [May 2013]
  3. May 13, 2013
    The biggest problem with Cities in Motion 2 is that this game is extremely user-unfriendly. Gameplay is sluggish even with the highest time compression and the interface contradicts ergonomics and intuition. [CD-Action 06/2013, p.80]