5.9

1. Feb 5, 2011
    This game is a huge disappointment. I bought the original Cities XL limited edition when it was first released and it was one bungled affair. The re-release of the same game as XL-2011 is a mocking kick in the face to original players. There are still issues with the game play that have gone unresolved since first launch, and the fact that the game was originally intended as a MMO (which failed miserably) still leave certain elements of the trading and city specialization aspects grossly underutilized. The road system and upgrades make future planning major headaches. If you want a great city simulator, go back and install SimCity3k. While this game has some great visuals and other more advanced elements (like curved roads) that the old city sims don't have...you should not be rewarding a company that has underachieved and misled its loyal users over and over again. Bad companies deserve to fail, no matter how mediocre the product is. Expand
  2. Oct 20, 2011
    Dont buy this game! Both gameplay and interfaces are sluggish and the sound design is horrible. The game looks years old both in graphics and just about everything else. I have a high end PC so it's not that I can't use it's full potensial.
  3. May 3, 2011
    Comparing this game to SC4 is beside the point. The most relevant comparison is Cities XL. This game is a re-release. You can't review out of context: this game already exists, with all the same bugs. Improved trading network? Build three cities, A trades to B, B to C, C to A... then do the devious thing. Back to school, if you call that improved. The decent thing would have been to use the DLC model. Expand
  4. Jun 2, 2011
    Visually stunning laggy accounting simulator. If you wanna have some fun, steer clear from this one and head towards SimCity 4 Rush Hour or even better Tropico 3 Absolute Power.
  5. Jul 10, 2011
    I have a number of deal-breaker problems with this game and the company that made it. Overall, the game is bordering on fun, but the problems that I have run into have made it unbearable to play.

First, the graphics system implementation seems to have missed a few steps in the testing process. I have a Radeon HD 5800 series video card in my laptop which is a fairly common series. Add
    into this the fact that I keep the drivers up-to-date and don't make drastic customizations to the display/card settings and I feel confident in saying that I shouldn't run into many out-of-the-box problems. However, I have yet to get the game to successfully change resolution. I've tried all the resolutions that my monitor and card combination will support (including an external monitor), but it all ends with a stuck on top white box and an not responding game. Since I run the game through Steam, where I purchased it, I automatically have the latest version of the game and still no change.

Second, related to the first problem, is the absolute lack of support from the publisher. I've e-mailed them, checked their website, and even tried to get into their non-existent forums and the result has been total silence. No, auto-response email telling me that the e-mail I sent arrived and they will get to it when they are good and ready (not even one telling me to "check my drivers"). As with other companies I have dealt with in the past where the only reliable response was no response, I have to assume that they aren't listening and will probably appear in a short news story about another developer bankruptcy. I think that I have a pretty reasonable expectation in terms of support from most developers when I ask that they post a few FAQs and maybe a functional forum with posts about known problems.

Finally, is the mixed bag that is the game play itself. I like the models and rendering that is used in the game, and I think the interface is functional if a bit simplistic. The removal of a lot of the normal city simulation micromanagement is tolerable since it has struck an acceptable balance between detailed control and needless effort. I really enjoy the supply and demand implementation that gives very quick, visual feedback concerning your addition of new services and zones. Unfortunately, the road system is very difficult manage and makes it very difficult to set up a grid system city. In addition to the overly, snap oriented road system is a camera control system that makes it extraordinarily difficult to get a useful perspective on what you are trying to do with your city.

In summary, the game has great potential with poor implementation and absolutely awful technical support. I'd recommend not buying it and using the money to convince someone to make a real sequel to the Maxis SimCity games.
  6. Feb 18, 2012
    The first time I played this game, I really felt empty. It is just plain dead. Buildings just pop out and do not undergo a construction phase. It doesn't feel like a city at all. It feels more like a ghost town. Add the kiddie cartoon styled citizens and you'll immediately know that something is really wrong in this city building sim. I just don't understand why a city sim must have the kiddie cartoon style characters there. Not to mention the stationary ship on the harbour. Maybe the game developers target 6-7 year old gamers??? The only thing that is right here is the graphics engine, all others are epic fail... Expand

Great visuals cannot hide the fact Cities XL 2011 game works only on well-established principles and brings no revolution to this genre. Everything works well but there is no space for surprise for anyone. [Issue#199]
  2. Jan 13, 2011
    Cities XL 2011 is an astoundingly complete game, which further enhances the quality of the previous game. It has almost infinite gameplay options, and although we miss a more human approach to our inhabitants, it has incredible management options for our city.
  3. Jan 11, 2011
    If you like the management games genre, keep in mind that CITIES XL tries to simplify every aspect of the gameplay you are accustomed to, but you still might like it.