5.6

1. Dec 1, 2013
    This game is a strong successor to the old SimCity games. It's considerably better than the current SimCity reboot. It's pretty much what you are looking for if you liked those games. It allows you to build beautiful cities that function well. The one caution I would give people is that there is less customization than some city simulation games. You zone areas instead of buildingThis game is a strong successor to the old SimCity games. It's considerably better than the current SimCity reboot. It's pretty much what you are looking for if you liked those games. It allows you to build beautiful cities that function well. The one caution I would give people is that there is less customization than some city simulation games. You zone areas instead of building most buildings, but the results are still very detailed. It feels like your city is a real city. Expand
  2. Jan 7, 2014
    I suppose I'm pretty late in joining with the Cities XL crowd, but I recently purchased it, hoping for the best. I will say that I was pleasantly surprised. Now of course this game isn't Simcity, so if you are looking for a larger scale Simcity-like game, Cities XL may not necessarily be for you. The game is much more in-depth than many of the Simcity games were, and features many uniqueI suppose I'm pretty late in joining with the Cities XL crowd, but I recently purchased it, hoping for the best. I will say that I was pleasantly surprised. Now of course this game isn't Simcity, so if you are looking for a larger scale Simcity-like game, Cities XL may not necessarily be for you. The game is much more in-depth than many of the Simcity games were, and features many unique challenges (such as resource management and advanced trading) as well. Unlike Simcity 4, when you don't zone farms, the food doesn't just pop up out of nowhere. The unique challenge is to balance everything as much as possible so that all of your residents and businesses alike will thrive. The game does certainly have its flaws, but for those who are looking for a large-scale, virtually limitless (to a reasonable extent) sandbox city simulator, Cities XL is a fantastic game.

First, Cities XL has a much wider variety of content than many similar "city-builder" games do. The platinum version has over 1,000 buildings, and so far, I haven't seen a whole lot of repeats of the same building in my cities yet. Cities XL's large set of content makes for very diverse cities, which is a unique advantage to the game. It also has a large array of options as far as transportation is concerned. It is a bit lacking in terms of mass transit, but the included bus and metro lines are usefull, and there is a mod that adds additional options as well. I actually think there are probably a few too many road options in the game, so there is definitely a lot of room for creativity in the system.

The gigantic maps are also a huge advantage to Cities XL. Unless you happen to have a one-of-a-kind machine, you will likely experience quite a bit of lag as you begin to pave over the entire map, but one of the nice things about Cities XL is that it doesn't place a whole lot of hardware related restrictions on the game. Simcity 2013 limits city sizes in order to improve performance on low end machines, whereas Cities XL gives you a giant map, and lets you build it up as much as your machine can handle. The lag with larger cities is partly due to the single-core architecture, but I haven't really noticed much lag yet, despite my relatively low end machine. To be fair, I haven't built a "big-city" yet, but the performance problems really aren't as bad as many people make them out to be, and they don't detract much from the enjoyment of the game.

One disappointment is how the memory leak issue (among other bugs) still exists in the game after several revisions. This was apparently a bug that was discovered in the early beta versions of Cities XL, and why exactly it hasn't been fixed confuses me to this day. However, simply exiting out to planet mode and reloading the city every 30 minutes or so seems to solve the issue. While it is an inconvenience, it isn't that difficult to reload a city every 30 minutes, so I don't think I can complain too much. In fact, the easiest way to save a city is to exit out to planet mode anyway, so it's really not that inconvenient as a workaround.

Platinum doesn't add very much to the existing 2012 version, and 2012 basically is the 2011 version with modding compatibility and 300+ extra buildings, plus a few maps. It is basically the same game as 2011, so if you didn't particularly enjoy 2011, Platinum probably isn't going to win you over. However, for what it is, despite the game's flaws and its rather small (and somewhat disappointing) revisions, I have enjoyed it quite thoroughly, and its advantages certainly outweigh its disadvantages. Anyone with a fairly robust PC who is looking for a powerful, in-depth sandbox city simulation game should definitely give Cities XL a spin.
  3. Jun 21, 2013
    i increased my score a couple point to try to offset the trolls and griefers that wrongfully malign this otherwise great game. and while its not worth a 10 its definitively not a 0!. i would say about a 7 and with all the stuff on xlnation.net perhaps an 8!

please understand that this game has a bit of history. over 4 years ago a small company named monte cristo developed and released it as massively multiuser online game. unfortunately less than a year after they went broke due to low subscription rate and were unable to finish the game. soon after focus acquired the writes and reworked it as a single player offline game and released it. since then making minor fixes and about once a year they have been releasing new content dlcs.

as you can imagine the people who originally purchased and subscribed to cities xl unlimited edition, the mmo version from the now bankrupt developer, are pissed off that they got stuck with a dead game after only being able to play with it for such a short time.

so they troll steam forums and even this site complaining about the long defunct developers and about long ago fixed bugs and basically spooking people away from buying the game.

many do not even own or play this game, they just own the other game and since the servers have all been shutdown for that game long ago can't no longer play it. yet they refuse to upgrade to this game, basically wanting the new developers to basically give them the new game.

here check out the facts for yourself

i own and play just about every city sims/builders that is out there

this is great game, loads of fun, runs great, have played it for hundreds of hours.

even better if you go to xlnation.net you will find hundreds of mods for it, everything imaginable and a very active community over 40,000 members!

i also want to say that there is no serious memory leak or programming issue like some people are posting. what issue that people are having is that the game allows you to build huge i mean huge cities, ive seen some with population over 90M and basically they do not set limits other than the hardware you have. so as you add more and more buildings and roads and the cities get larger and more complex sure its going to use more and more memory until you run out of memory and until your cpu/gpu cant handle the size of the cities and complexity and the framerate goes down. It's hard to put in words just how large and complex your cities can get, they can look so real that you can't distinguish screenshots from real world images of some of the worlds largest cities. in fact i cant think of a real world single city that has a population of over 90M. so what you have a people with low end hardware trying to build cities they can't support. and since its a 32-bit application, like most games, the cities can only get so large and complex before you hit the 2-3gb limit that windows imposes. the trick is to balance city size and complexity and not try to build cities that don't make sense and would not be practical even in real life.

so yes the game is a 32-bit game with the game logic running in a single thread, but most other games out there have the same limitations. the only difference between those games and this game is that this game does not impose limits on you like simcity or tropico or anno does. also this games lets u pack the density of the cities to real world levels and beyond. in this way its more a city builder than a sim i would say.

having said that the game, like all other games and software, does have bugs and issues, but luckily they are for minor and can easily be ignore of worked around.
  4. Oct 20, 2013
    Cities xl is actually the most AWESOME city builder yet! but the thing is, people don't know there is MODS to make the game more awesome, they just go like: oh wow, the game's highway is boring, there isn't a lot of buildings in it, blah,blah,blah like that. Well did you know there was actually mods to make things better?
    are you just too lazy to Google" does cities xl have mods?" But
    are you just too lazy to Google" does cities xl have mods?" But yes, I have to admit, the memory leak is really annoying, but once you get a PC with a better Graphics card, it shouldn't be a problem
  5. May 15, 2014
    This is the best city builder on the market right now, it offers a lot of verity of buildings, super massive maps and is a lot of fun to play and highly addicting.

I highly recommend this.

There are no critic reviews yet.