• Publisher: NCSOFT
  • Release Date: Apr 27, 2004
8.4

1. Oct 1, 2010
    The greatest and most addictive game ever. If you've ever wanted to be part of a hero comic book, if you've ever wanted to fight for truth and justice, or if you've always wanted to be part of a team that is unique and yet the same, then City of Heroes is for you. And if it isn't buy it anyway and give it a try.
  2. JamesB.
    May 10, 2004
    This is game is one of the best games out there at this point. This game gets a 10 and nothing below.
  3. GrahamJ.
    Jun 13, 2004
    Man this game is so awesome i played it at a friends house and now i'm gonna go buy a new comp so i can buy it and play too!!!
  4. DavidC.
    Sep 8, 2004
    A game not perfected yet but inching closer all the time thanks to a dedicated and intelligent design team willing to admit when they make mistakes.
  5. HarrisC.
    May 7, 2004
    Right out of the gate let me just say if you rated this game lower then 8 stop what you are doing and open up solitaire in the desktop, this is more your speed. For those of you looking for a new game, look no further. If you have broadband this is the most original, engrossing, and entertaining game out there. I know I have played almost all of the good ones. The only downside to the Right out of the gate let me just say if you rated this game lower then 8 stop what you are doing and open up solitaire in the desktop, this is more your speed. For those of you looking for a new game, look no further. If you have broadband this is the most original, engrossing, and entertaining game out there. I know I have played almost all of the good ones. The only downside to the game is the is that if you have a job, friends, family or significant other you need to put them on notice of the help you will need after impending canceling sessions to fight you newfound addiction. They need to put a worming on the side of the box in bold letters about this. Seriously this game can be all things to all people due to the fact that there are so many ways to play this game and so many side options. If you are not having fun start over and try something different I promise there is something in there for you. Expand
  6. BradC.
    Jun 2, 2004
    This game absolutely rocks!
  7. LeonF.
    Mar 13, 2004
    This is the game for 2004 because you can build your own character with their own super powers and even fly!! you can do missions and be on a team!!. If your want to find out more about this game go to www.cityofheroes.com, You wont be sorry.
  8. DrewC.
    Apr 20, 2004
    This is one of the Best MMORPG's that I have ever played. The game is almost worth your 50 bucks just creating a character. But not only do you get to vreate a character, you get to control him (or her) and put his powers to use!
    Apr 30, 2004
    This game will own you. It is great to be doing cool stuff right away. Definitely no killing rats for the first week of playing.
  10. Lou
    May 10, 2004
    Well worth the monthly fee..and more fun than any other online game i've played...you're sure to enjoy it!
  11. XZealot
    May 6, 2004
    Having played superhero games in the past this one is definantly the cream of the crop. Easy gameplay, great animations, and a non-inventory based economy. I have to hold myself back from playing it all day long. It is so easy just to get lost in the game, but I have "real-world" obligations that keep me from putting in 4 hour blocks. I generally play about 30 minutes to 1 hour a day and Having played superhero games in the past this one is definantly the cream of the crop. Easy gameplay, great animations, and a non-inventory based economy. I have to hold myself back from playing it all day long. It is so easy just to get lost in the game, but I have "real-world" obligations that keep me from putting in 4 hour blocks. I generally play about 30 minutes to 1 hour a day and it is great! I can pick up where I left off, and if I become frustrated with a mission then I go get one from another contact. I do that one and then come back and complete the one that frustrated me. I LOVE IT! Expand
  12. KingSlayer
    May 6, 2004
    George S. and Cory S. have A.D.D. I have played this game since late beta, and I am into my first month of play. Graphics can't be beat. Sound is good. Customazation is GREAT. Game play is very good. Single play is poor. IMO Group play is great. I was a necro in EQ, I loved to solo. I can't stand to solo in this game. When you were a warrior in EQ, just stand there and George S. and Cory S. have A.D.D. I have played this game since late beta, and I am into my first month of play. Graphics can't be beat. Sound is good. Customazation is GREAT. Game play is very good. Single play is poor. IMO Group play is great. I was a necro in EQ, I loved to solo. I can't stand to solo in this game. When you were a warrior in EQ, just stand there and auto-fight... booooring. In CoH, you actually have to earn your exp. You actually have the opprotunity to SUCK at the game. This is great IMO. The super powers are hinkey in that you have to choose powers and alternate powers. If you stick your enhancement slots in the wrong place, it will impact your character for a while. Flight! Wooo! Who never wanted to fly? or Teleport, or run like the wind. Travel powers in this game are great. I will be playing this game for at least a year. I'm looking for more content to arrive. City of Villans, should be cool. and a nice addition to the game. Expand
  13. SteveG.
    May 8, 2004
    Crazy cool and polished graphics...not too much lag and the character creation is a killer.....top game of the year....even if its still arepeat og thugs kicking.....
  14. ChrisD.
    Jun 14, 2004
    I have been playing this game for about a week now and this is the most fun I have had with a game for a very long time. There are a few down sides to this game. There no good story line to the mission. I you are into that sort of thing that might be a problem. The missions can also be a bit vague about where you need to go. Overall I have to give this game a nine because it really just I have been playing this game for about a week now and this is the most fun I have had with a game for a very long time. There are a few down sides to this game. There no good story line to the mission. I you are into that sort of thing that might be a problem. The missions can also be a bit vague about where you need to go. Overall I have to give this game a nine because it really just designed to play with other people or alone and have fun. If that's what you want from a game then I recommend getting this one. Expand
  15. MiikkaK.
    Feb 16, 2005
    An excellent game that really makes you feel like a superhero!
  16. ArtB.
    Mar 10, 2005
    This is a great MMO for a casual player like me. I can login, play a mission, and log off, all within 30 minutes There is no big penalty for dying leveling up hasn't been tedious at all, and its really easy to fight guys when you want to and avoid them otherwise. All in all, its the perfect MMO for a casual gamer like me.
  17. Peter
    Jul 16, 2007
    Adding variety to a fantasy dominated genre, with a nice atmosphere and relaxed gameplay, this game continues to entertain me even though the gameplay may feature little less than combat and the engine may be old and wonky. Relatively frequent updates of content over the years add new stuff to explore over time.
  18. MichaelF
    Sep 7, 2009
    I started playing a year ago and I am completely captivated by the gameplay. Exploring the city and finding missions I haven't played yet is very rewarding. Playing the player-generated story arcs created in the AE Building is an absolute blast. Ignore the farms, check out the stories that have been created!
  19. BlakeT.
    Nov 11, 2004
    Up to this point and at present, there has never been a better developed and more thought-out game. This games design is amazingly intuitive and incredibly easy to navigate. Unlike a lot of MMOs, the controls and game management don't get in the way of some seriously fun gameplay. And, with each new patch and issue release, you get innovation. Evidence of this masterpiece can be seen Up to this point and at present, there has never been a better developed and more thought-out game. This games design is amazingly intuitive and incredibly easy to navigate. Unlike a lot of MMOs, the controls and game management don't get in the way of some seriously fun gameplay. And, with each new patch and issue release, you get innovation. Evidence of this masterpiece can be seen in current release, who are desperately stealing this game's design and innovation for their own. I've played Everyquest (I and II), Asheron's Call, SWG, and FFXI. This one tops them all. I still can't resist playing this game, long after FFXI got boring and old. Expand
  20. AlbertoF.
    Dec 26, 2004
    It is the best game period.
  21. DeborahP.
    Apr 13, 2004
    This game is nothing but fun! You can easily spend over an hour just designing your character and costume. There are so many options! Then, once in game, the missions are fun and it's easy to find groups to play with. Game-play is smooth, with no noticable lag and few glichtes (though I am playing beta). Even during the busiest play times, there are plenty of things to do or bad-guys This game is nothing but fun! You can easily spend over an hour just designing your character and costume. There are so many options! Then, once in game, the missions are fun and it's easy to find groups to play with. Game-play is smooth, with no noticable lag and few glichtes (though I am playing beta). Even during the busiest play times, there are plenty of things to do or bad-guys to catch; you never feel like the world is too crowded with people stealing each other's glory. When a mission takes place in a building or cave, your group gets its own instance of that location, so there will be no other players interupting your quest. The only downside is a lack of PvP, though the AI of the mobs is amazing. Expand
  22. ArtegK.
    Apr 13, 2004
    This game is da man ... i mean game yeah err the only thing.
  23. BayardB.
    Apr 18, 2004
    I'm in beta and I have to say that this game is great. Even if you are only a casual gamer (or an extremely hardcore gamer) you are probably going to have a lot of fun playing this game. Costumes, powers, villains, and missions are all fun and well thought out. I will be extremely surprised if City of Heroes is not recognized as a great game.
  24. RobertS.
    Great game!
  25. RobertS.
    Great game!
  26. RichC.
    Apr 28, 2004
    This game is lots of fun! When you customize your costume, every detail you pick is actually shown in the game! It's lost of fun to meet up with others and destroy bad guys. The graphics are excellent as well. If you have any interest in saving the world, you will like this game!
  27. MackM.
    May 5, 2004
    This game snaps you up right from the get go. Unlike most games where you kill rats for 10 levels, you FEEL like a super hero right away. The insane number of costume options makes you connect to your character right away, no waiting till level 65 to look "unique".
  28. JohnK.
    Jan 4, 2005
    1) A breath of fresh air in terms of content ( I mean how much more fantasy based titles do we need?), interface (minimal AND user controlled), gameplay (very intense effort on part of the design team to reduce tedium, implement variety), makes the player feel unique AND powerful from the get go ( no getting killed by rats lol, character gen is beyond par), teamplay options are innovative 1) A breath of fresh air in terms of content ( I mean how much more fantasy based titles do we need?), interface (minimal AND user controlled), gameplay (very intense effort on part of the design team to reduce tedium, implement variety), makes the player feel unique AND powerful from the get go ( no getting killed by rats lol, character gen is beyond par), teamplay options are innovative and very community oriented...and i coudl go on...but with the updates..even MORE reasons are coming to why this is the best MMo around ...i like it better even more than WOW Expand
  29. KridenK.
    May 29, 2005
    I think it's an amazing game... no doubt one of the best mmorpgs to this point.
  30. AndrewJ.
    Jul 30, 2005
    Without doubt, the most addictive game I've ever played. If you love superheroes, you won't be able to drag yourself away.
  31. DanielY.
    May 18, 2006
    This is king of MMOs, despised all online games, but CoH showed me the error of my ways.
  32. BrettD.
    Dec 12, 2007
    Thrilling, lifelike, intriguing. Hour of non stop action and adventure. The variations of individual hero creation keep you in the game for a long. long, long time. Is there an end? The in game variety leaves you wondering if there is an end to the game. The game itself has regular updates with new action waiting. The official forum is awesome and the people (characters) playing the game Thrilling, lifelike, intriguing. Hour of non stop action and adventure. The variations of individual hero creation keep you in the game for a long. long, long time. Is there an end? The in game variety leaves you wondering if there is an end to the game. The game itself has regular updates with new action waiting. The official forum is awesome and the people (characters) playing the game are first rate, a great mass of great gamers! Expand
  33. CharlesT
    Apr 23, 2009
    I have been playing this game for quite awhile now and I noticed one major thing. All of these reviews are ancient. From what I read these people never even got to super movements. That is like playing the tutorial and giving a review. You haven't even started playing the game yet. There have been 14 major content updates since the game started. My only gripe is that the level cap is I have been playing this game for quite awhile now and I noticed one major thing. All of these reviews are ancient. From what I read these people never even got to super movements. That is like playing the tutorial and giving a review. You haven't even started playing the game yet. There have been 14 major content updates since the game started. My only gripe is that the level cap is the same as it was 3 years ago when I started playing. Good thing I have dozens of amazing characters to keep me coming back. Expand
  34. BernardoB
    May 12, 2009
    I Loved this game because just by getting a group of heroes and go kill some mutants you get a HUGE amount of Fun. Best MMO I ever played. Props to Cryptic for the amazing work, well done.
  35. HaX
    You in Beta?
  36. AndrewA.
    Apr 23, 2004
    This game is a wonderful experience, not to be missed by anyone who is a fan of the superhero comic-book mythos. It isn't perfect, it doesn't have everything, but its core is pure and good. The action is fast, fun, frentic. And thankfully no sign of any PVP rearing its ugly head and forcing ridiculous balance adjustments.
  37. Lexluthor
    May 16, 2004
    This game is the best, or is it just because i have been obsessed with super heroes all my life?
  38. RedKing
    May 18, 2004
    CoH is a solid MMORPG which has boiled away the layers of options and details that crowd so many of the 2nd generation MMORPGs, leaving behind the ones that make the game *fun* rather than an exercise in macroing, muling and inventory management. Very enjoyable, even for newcomers to the massive multi genre.
  39. RedDragon
    May 18, 2004
    Awesome gameplay/graphics/music Great customization/quests/varation 10/10.. 96% if i could give exacts..
  40. SteveS.
    Aug 17, 2007
    I've been into super heroes for 4 decades now. For me, this game is a godsend. I'll never forget the first time my character flew. I got giddy. The entire game is that way. If you're a fan of super-heroes, and/or comics, this game will be addictive forever.
  41. MikeS
    Apr 22, 2009
    Excellent game from the start and it never stops improving. Now with user-generated content (like Little Big Planet or YouTube), it will have never-ending content also. The development studio has tripled in staffing in the past year and a half and NCSoft is investing heavily to make this one of the best "triple A" mmorpgs in existence.
  42. TimboJ.
    Nov 15, 2004
    DUDE this game by far one of the funnest, addictive, and exciting games i ever played....so what it costs 50 dollars...one day of work for the minimum wage worker.
  43. BradleyM.
    Nov 19, 2004
    Amazing visually, addictive, well planned and executed.... a boy or girl's superhero dream come true.
  44. Oct 4, 2012
    with a powerful character creator and a wealth of well written (if slightly repetitive) content, City of Heroes truly is a hidden gem of the MMO Genre.
  45. Jun 20, 2012
    Big thumbs up to one of the best MMOs nobody every played.

Big thumbs up to one of the best MMOs nobody every played.

This game includes a lot of features you wish you saw more in games, such as dynamic and settable difficulty, dynamic missions, a crapton of PvE and PvP arena and zones, time traveling pve missions, custom missions designing, heavily upgradable guild bases & associated raids and artifact control, real-time permanent order based auctions... also.. well, you get it.
    All this in a well made superheroes city environment, neat in-depth costumes customizations, a load of different superpowers, and generally somewhat good music!

No really. This game is great. The only very big problem is that there's so few people playing it that three quarters of the features are unused, such as pvp arenas, and often the pvp zones... Hopefully you can still find people for some heroic coop action.

1. Anyone new to the genre can certainly make this a choice without expecting to get in too deep and losing their way, while seasoned MMORPGers can have a blast playing out their superhero dreams.
  2. The overall quality of the game cannot be denied, and if you're a comic book fan, or like MMORPG's, or both, you owe it to yourself to see what City of Heroes is all about.
  3. An original superhero MMORPG that has excellent character creation and a well-designed world. Gameplay is quite combat-intensive and the game lacks sufficient content to stay interesting for longer periods of time. [Feb. 05]