7.1

1. Dec 3, 2012
    I love the concept behind Cognition, one of the things I enjoyed the most have got to be the music and the voice acting, hands down amazing. Some puzzles seemed a bit more impossible than others but, overall loved how dark it is and I can't wait for Episode 2 :)
  2. Dec 3, 2012
    I've had the opportunity to play Episode 1 and couldn't put it down. The art style of this adventure game is top notch. Some of the puzzles left me scratching my head for hours until the inevitable "Ah-ha!" moment.

Can't wait to see how the story unfolds.
    For me, this game is 5 stars. Best adventure game I've played since the Black Mirror series.
  3. Dec 3, 2012
    Overall episode 1 was very enjoyable even some of the bugs that were in the game. Some of the puzzle are very nice to solve. Cognition is one of the new adventure games that make you want more .... Can't wait for the Episode 2 to come out .
  4. Dec 3, 2012
    Cognition was a breath of fresh air during a time of monotonous stories, mediocre storytelling, and games just overall lacking in any sort of human qualities. You will be taken back to a time in gaming where immersion was attained simply through your own curiosity. The beautiful musical scores and some of the best voice acting you'll ever hear only help to take your experience a step further.
  5. Dec 3, 2012
    I played this game on the recommendation of a friend. I hadn't heard of it before that nor had I much experience with the games type of play style. However, despite my ignorance, I found the game to be very interesting. It was dark and thrilling. It's atmosphere was reminiscent of a good novel. I was easily lost in the story and wanted to play more. I also have a very soft spot for hot redheads with green eyes. I gave an 8 out of 10. It lost 2 points for long(ish) load times. Expand
  6. Mar 22, 2013
    Great story, voice acting, atmosphere. TERRIBLE, tedious, frustrating gameplay. Unintuitive item combinations. Often obvious interactions won't work, e.g. you can't give donuts to a cop that complains about the station not having donuts. Instead the character just says "These don't go together". Not helpful.

I don't like using walkthroughs, but it actually seems like this game wasn't
    intended to be played without one. Expand
  7. Dec 3, 2012
    This game is a great throw-back to adventure game thrillers from the 90s, but with upgraded graphics and a fresh new game dynamic. The story is really what makes me marking the calendar for future episode releases. No spoilers, but Erika's use of paranormal abilities is awesome. Game consultant Jane Jensen makes this a real treat because you can see her influence throughout. Jane created Sierra classic, Gabriel Knight and newer games like Gray Matter. Expand
  8. Dec 5, 2012
    The only reason you want to play this is the great lack of maniac chasing adventure games in general (so it's this or the Art of Murder, mwahaha). Also, the song of the Scarlet Furies and Raleigh Holmes's voice as Erica's voice. If you experience a severe lust for nice ambients, or greatly miss cell-shaded comic stylised games, pick it up. If you're a sucker for pleasant nicely written dialogs - it may be your game. If you love how nice ideas get mediocre execution and don't like being surprised by the way the story develops - go and play it right now. If you hate interesting puzzles that make you use your head for something more than leaving the loctation where the search for solution sounds most logical - don't you dare miss it. If you just can't wait to watch how the immersion wanes kicked out by the annoying silly actions incompatible with the real life logic, then try it imme... actually, go to your room. Now. I hope there're enough people in the world who hates you.

In a nutshell - dialogs, graphics, music, voice acting, sierra references and the core idea are good. The story and the most puzzles are as fresh as the desire to be a pirate and as imaginative and fun as interviews with David Cage. So there. Hope it wasn't really hard to gather it's a bit DISAPPOINTING.
  9. Dec 19, 2012
    Cognition is a standard point and click adventure with hand drawn cutscenes. Things I liked: + Very good music, it is some of the best music I've heard in a game! + Intriguing plot! + Overall strong voice acting. Especially the voice for Erica was spot on! + Cognition abilities worked really well. + Lots of detective puzzles that made me feel smart! + Good hint system. Just enough nudges to point me in the right direction.
    + Beautiful background art! Things I did not like:
    - Some annoying puzzles that just make no sense. This is one thing I do not miss from the golden era of adventure games!
    - Longish loading times.
    - Some plot holes. - Stiff facial animations.

Overall though I found Cognition to be a very good game and can definitely recommend it to fans of the genre. I can't wait for the future episodes myself!
  10. Mar 2, 2014
    A gorgeous adventure in the spirit of genre classics like Gabriel Knight, Blade Runner and Gray Matter. The gripping story was apparently co-written by legendary Jane Jensen and it shows. An instant classic with great storyline, inspired artwork and some of the best puzzles I've seen in a looong time. Can't wait to play Episode 2. Well done, Phoenix!!
  11. Feb 8, 2013
    Great story, great art style, great sound, music, and I didn't notice any major bugs. The animations could use a little work, but other than that, I'd say it's an A+ title. This is one of the few episodic adventure games that I could actually sit down and play through both of the first two episodes in a single sitting, AND still want more. These episodes aren't really that short, either.
  12. Dec 31, 2013
    One of the best Point n Clicks in a very long time. The story is suberb and the atmosphere is top notch. The gameplay ideas that divert this are wonderful and very well implemented. The only drawback is that I kinda got tired till the fourth episode storywise. Though the first couple of episodes are excellent and the overall story is quite complex.

Up with the classics of Jensen and the
    Sierra, LucasArts... Great game. Expand
  13. Jul 5, 2013
    To be completely honest, I am surprised at the number of high ratings for this game. I played as much as I could of this game but couldn't get past the beginning. The story concept and all seemed like it would be interesting but the implementation of the ideas just did not create a compelling enough game to play past that point.

The graphics were relatively amateurish and I was not
    impressed with that aspect at all.

The gameplay was kind of difficult, but not in a good way. It was difficult in the game play mechanics and was tedious at best.

Not recommended even for the biggest click through story fan.
  14. Oct 15, 2013
    Enjoyable at times, but lacking in fluidity. Animations and transitions were also slow to the point of frustration. How I wish I could only click a map button, then a destination... rather than clumsily navigate my character to the level exit, click the wider map twice, then finally my destination twice.
  15. Dec 1, 2013
    A really great game for a little money. FBI agent versus the serial killer sounds cliche? Don't worry, the story will surprise you a few times. Especially the first two episodes are very enjoyable and worth playing. The story is like the mixture of two famous film thrillers: Seven and Silence of the Lambs.
    Advantages:
    +An interesting plot and characters
    +Story twists
    +Nicely written
    dialogues
    +Mechanics: typical adventure with some puzzles and action elements
    +Music
    +Voice acting
    +2D graphics (great comic stylised drawings )
    Disadvantages:
    -Initially great story slows down at the end
    -Towards the end of the game the characters' choices become unreasonable and ridiculous
    -Bugs
    -3D graphics
    However, try it if you like point-and-click thriller style adventure games.
  16. Apr 15, 2014
    Are these other reviewers playing the same game? This game borders on trashware. It feels like an amateur fan game with the horrible graphics and writing.

Games like this are why many customers wish refunds were always available.

1. Apr 2, 2013
    The game opening is especially powerful and it manages to keep that momentum for a while before feeling like it's slowed down too much. It ramps things up for a fun interrogation sequence and an exciting ending.
  2. Mar 5, 2013
    As a first episode, The Hangman does more right than it does wrong.
  3. Mar 4, 2013
    Cognition fails not from a lack of execution, but from a lack of imagination.