6.9

1. May 27, 2014
    I'm not a big fan of point and click adventure games, I usually find them usually too boring or with excessively contrived puzzles. However, seeing the trailer for this one got me to play the demo on steam. Quite frankly, the demo blew my mind, I couldn't wait to play the rest. After buying all 4 episodes and having just finished the first, and it's everything I hoped for, and more. InI'm not a big fan of point and click adventure games, I usually find them usually too boring or with excessively contrived puzzles. However, seeing the trailer for this one got me to play the demo on steam. Quite frankly, the demo blew my mind, I couldn't wait to play the rest. After buying all 4 episodes and having just finished the first, and it's everything I hoped for, and more. In short: try the demo on steam and know that the game builds and expands on that, especially on the "puzzler" side.

You play as Erica Reed, FBI detective in this puzzle, murder investigation thriller, point and click adventure game. The game has very immersive atmosphere supported by nice art and beautiful music, ranging appropriately from relaxed and melancholic to foreboding and tense. Additionally, the voice acting is superb across the board, giving life to the characters and supporting a very good story, gripping and often emotional as well. While you're putting your puzzles together, you're not just figuring out gimmicky, weird puzzle mechanics, you're actually using clues and information you uncover on your investigations in a quite logical manner. Furthermore, and not to spoil anything, Erica's special "intuition" talent is cool tool for finding clues that is very well realized and interesting to watch. So, you'll actually feel that you're unravelling the mysteries and learning more and more about the story. Making progress provided me with a lot of "oh!" moments, when I felt that rush after you just realized something new that happened in the story, and made me feel gripped by it.

There are very good scenes to be had, especially one close to the end, where the voice acting, the writing, the art and the music all came together in a magical, memorable way. There's even some tense "action puzzle" scenes, which were very interesting as well, I wasn't expecting to be so engaged and tense by a point and click puzzler.

I only stumbled very occasionally on a puzzle here and there, and I found out that it was my fault in missing some info or other. If you're stuck, you can text your dad, a former police investigator, and he will give you hints on things you've missed that point you in the right direction without giving it away. A very cool system, I thought, hitting the balance between preventing real frustration while making you "do the work" without straight giving you the solution. With all this, I found the puzzles overall to be interesting, logical instead of randomly contrived and virtually non-frustrating.

There's only a few cons to these game, in my opinion. There are occasional bugs involving the characters' placement and movement on the screen, but they "fix themselves" straight away without disturbing the game. The other "problem" is that the game is sometimes a little slow, not only the overall pacing of the story but (and more importantly, I think), while you're clicking and waiting for the characters to do their animations. Still, one can argue that the slowish pacing enhances the immersion and enjoyment of the game by exposing you more to the very good atmosphere overall.

It's not often that a game surprises me so. If you are ready to put some quiet time aside for this, you'll be rewarded with a good mystery story, with some sparks of beauty, that will make you feel the more engaged the more you progress through the puzzles, and even has some interesting and tense "action puzzles". Again, you can't go wrong in trying the demo for yourself.
  2. Dec 3, 2012
    I love the concept behind Cognition, one of the things I enjoyed the most have got to be the music and the voice acting, hands down amazing. Some puzzles seemed a bit more impossible than others but, overall loved how dark it is and I can't wait for Episode 2 :)
  3. Dec 3, 2012
    I've had the opportunity to play Episode 1 and couldn't put it down. The art style of this adventure game is top notch. Some of the puzzles left me scratching my head for hours until the inevitable "Ah-ha!" moment.

Can't wait to see how the story unfolds.
    For me, this game is 5 stars. Best adventure game I've played since the Black Mirror series.
  4. Dec 3, 2012
    Cognition was a breath of fresh air during a time of monotonous stories, mediocre storytelling, and games just overall lacking in any sort of human qualities. You will be taken back to a time in gaming where immersion was attained simply through your own curiosity. The beautiful musical scores and some of the best voice acting you'll ever hear only help to take your experience a step further.
  5. Dec 3, 2012
    I played this game on the recommendation of a friend. I hadn't heard of it before that nor had I much experience with the games type of play style. However, despite my ignorance, I found the game to be very interesting. It was dark and thrilling. It's atmosphere was reminiscent of a good novel. I was easily lost in the story and wanted to play more. I also have a very soft spot for hotI played this game on the recommendation of a friend. I hadn't heard of it before that nor had I much experience with the games type of play style. However, despite my ignorance, I found the game to be very interesting. It was dark and thrilling. It's atmosphere was reminiscent of a good novel. I was easily lost in the story and wanted to play more. I also have a very soft spot for hot redheads with green eyes. I gave an 8 out of 10. It lost 2 points for long(ish) load times. Expand
  6. Dec 3, 2012
    Overall episode 1 was very enjoyable even some of the bugs that were in the game. Some of the puzzle are very nice to solve. Cognition is one of the new adventure games that make you want more .... Can't wait for the Episode 2 to come out .
  7. Dec 3, 2012
    This game is a great throw-back to adventure game thrillers from the 90s, but with upgraded graphics and a fresh new game dynamic. The story is really what makes me marking the calendar for future episode releases. No spoilers, but Erika's use of paranormal abilities is awesome. Game consultant Jane Jensen makes this a real treat because you can see her influence throughout. JaneThis game is a great throw-back to adventure game thrillers from the 90s, but with upgraded graphics and a fresh new game dynamic. The story is really what makes me marking the calendar for future episode releases. No spoilers, but Erika's use of paranormal abilities is awesome. Game consultant Jane Jensen makes this a real treat because you can see her influence throughout. Jane created Sierra classic, Gabriel Knight and newer games like Gray Matter. Collapse
  8. Dec 19, 2012
    Cognition is a standard point and click adventure with hand drawn cutscenes. Things I liked:
    + Very good music, it is some of the best music I've heard in a game!
    + Intriguing plot! + Overall strong voice acting. Especially the voice for Erica was spot on! + Cognition abilities worked really well. + Lots of detective puzzles that made me feel smart! + Good hint system. Just enough
    + Very good music, it is some of the best music I've heard in a game!
    + Intriguing plot!
    + Overall strong voice acting. Especially the voice for Erica was spot on!
    + Cognition abilities worked really well.
    + Lots of detective puzzles that made me feel smart!
    + Good hint system. Just enough nudges to point me in the right direction.
    + Beautiful background art! Things I did not like:
    - Some annoying puzzles that just make no sense. This is one thing I do not miss from the golden era of adventure games!
    - Longish loading times.
    - Some plot holes. - Stiff facial animations.

Overall though I found Cognition to be a very good game and can definitely recommend it to fans of the genre. I can't wait for the future episodes myself!
  9. Mar 2, 2014
    A gorgeous adventure in the spirit of genre classics like Gabriel Knight, Blade Runner and Gray Matter. The gripping story was apparently co-written by legendary Jane Jensen and it shows. An instant classic with great storyline, inspired artwork and some of the best puzzles I've seen in a looong time. Can't wait to play Episode 2. Well done, Phoenix!!
  10. Feb 8, 2013
    Great story, great art style, great sound, music, and I didn't notice any major bugs. The animations could use a little work, but other than that, I'd say it's an A+ title. This is one of the few episodic adventure games that I could actually sit down and play through both of the first two episodes in a single sitting, AND still want more. These episodes aren't really that short, either.
  11. Dec 31, 2013
    One of the best Point n Clicks in a very long time. The story is suberb and the atmosphere is top notch. The gameplay ideas that divert this are wonderful and very well implemented. The only drawback is that I kinda got tired till the fourth episode storywise. Though the first couple of episodes are excellent and the overall story is quite complex.

Up with the classics of Jensen and the

Up with the classics of Jensen and the Sierra, LucasArts... Great game.
  12. Dec 3, 2012

1. Apr 2, 2013
    The game opening is especially powerful and it manages to keep that momentum for a while before feeling like it's slowed down too much. It ramps things up for a fun interrogation sequence and an exciting ending.
  2. Mar 5, 2013
    As a first episode, The Hangman does more right than it does wrong.
  3. Mar 4, 2013
    Cognition fails not from a lack of execution, but from a lack of imagination.