6.8

1. Dec 1, 2013
    A really great game for a little money. FBI agent versus the serial killer sounds cliche? Don't worry, the story will surprise you a few times. Especially the first two episodes are very enjoyable and worth playing. The story is like the mixture of two famous film thrillers: Seven and Silence of the Lambs.
    Advantages:
    +An interesting plot and characters +Story twists +Nicely written
    Advantages:
    +An interesting plot and characters
    +Story twists
    +Nicely written dialogues
    +Mechanics: typical adventure with some puzzles and action elements
    +Music
    +Voice acting
    +2D graphics (great comic stylised drawings )
    Disadvantages:
    -Initially great story slows down at the end
    -Towards the end of the game the characters' choices become unreasonable and ridiculous
    -Bugs
    -3D graphics
    However, try it if you like point-and-click thriller style adventure games.
  2. Jun 5, 2014
    Seems to me a great potential has been wasted with the game engine used. I mean, if there is an emergency, it shouldn't take 2 seconds for a character to simply turn back and align with the object that has been chosen for interaction. It's so "10 years ago". I like the way how the story is told, then again, the game engine tells that story so slow that your excitement is questionable.Seems to me a great potential has been wasted with the game engine used. I mean, if there is an emergency, it shouldn't take 2 seconds for a character to simply turn back and align with the object that has been chosen for interaction. It's so "10 years ago". I like the way how the story is told, then again, the game engine tells that story so slow that your excitement is questionable.

Still, yes, I recommend the game as it is hard to find a solid adventure game.
  3. Dec 5, 2012
    The only reason you want to play this is the great lack of maniac chasing adventure games in general (so it's this or the Art of Murder, mwahaha). Also, the song of the Scarlet Furies and Raleigh Holmes's voice as Erica's voice. If you experience a severe lust for nice ambients, or greatly miss cell-shaded comic stylised games, pick it up. If you're a sucker for pleasant nicely writtenThe only reason you want to play this is the great lack of maniac chasing adventure games in general (so it's this or the Art of Murder, mwahaha). Also, the song of the Scarlet Furies and Raleigh Holmes's voice as Erica's voice. If you experience a severe lust for nice ambients, or greatly miss cell-shaded comic stylised games, pick it up. If you're a sucker for pleasant nicely written dialogs - it may be your game. If you love how nice ideas get mediocre execution and don't like being surprised by the way the story develops - go and play it right now. If you hate interesting puzzles that make you use your head for something more than leaving the loctation where the search for solution sounds most logical - don't you dare miss it. If you just can't wait to watch how the immersion wanes kicked out by the annoying silly actions incompatible with the real life logic, then try it imme... actually, go to your room. Now. I hope there're enough people in the world who hates you.

In a nutshell - dialogs, graphics, music, voice acting, sierra references and the core idea are good. The story and the most puzzles are as fresh as the desire to be a pirate and as imaginative and fun as interviews with David Cage. So there. Hope it wasn't really hard to gather it's a bit DISAPPOINTING.
  4. Dec 19, 2012
    Cognition is a standard point and click adventure with hand drawn cutscenes. Things I liked:
    + Very good music, it is some of the best music I've heard in a game!
    + Intriguing plot! + Overall strong voice acting. Especially the voice for Erica was spot on! + Cognition abilities worked really well. + Lots of detective puzzles that made me feel smart! + Good hint system. Just enough
    + Very good music, it is some of the best music I've heard in a game!
    + Intriguing plot!
    + Overall strong voice acting. Especially the voice for Erica was spot on!
    + Cognition abilities worked really well.
    + Lots of detective puzzles that made me feel smart!
    + Good hint system. Just enough nudges to point me in the right direction.
    + Beautiful background art! Things I did not like:
    - Some annoying puzzles that just make no sense. This is one thing I do not miss from the golden era of adventure games!
    - Longish loading times.
    - Some plot holes. - Stiff facial animations.

Overall though I found Cognition to be a very good game and can definitely recommend it to fans of the genre. I can't wait for the future episodes myself!

1. Apr 2, 2013
    The game opening is especially powerful and it manages to keep that momentum for a while before feeling like it's slowed down too much. It ramps things up for a fun interrogation sequence and an exciting ending.
  2. Mar 5, 2013
    As a first episode, The Hangman does more right than it does wrong.
  3. Mar 4, 2013
    Cognition fails not from a lack of execution, but from a lack of imagination.