7.1

1. Dec 3, 2012
    I love the concept behind Cognition, one of the things I enjoyed the most have got to be the music and the voice acting, hands down amazing. Some puzzles seemed a bit more impossible than others but, overall loved how dark it is and I can't wait for Episode 2 :)
  2. Dec 3, 2012
    I've had the opportunity to play Episode 1 and couldn't put it down. The art style of this adventure game is top notch. Some of the puzzles left me scratching my head for hours until the inevitable "Ah-ha!" moment.

Can't wait to see how the story unfolds.
    For me, this game is 5 stars. Best adventure game I've played since the Black Mirror series.
  3. Mar 22, 2013
    Great story, voice acting, atmosphere. TERRIBLE, tedious, frustrating gameplay. Unintuitive item combinations. Often obvious interactions won't work, e.g. you can't give donuts to a cop that complains about the station not having donuts. Instead the character just says "These don't go together". Not helpful.

I don't like using walkthroughs, but it actually seems like this game wasn't

I don't like using walkthroughs, but it actually seems like this game wasn't intended to be played without one.
  4. Dec 3, 2012
    Overall episode 1 was very enjoyable even some of the bugs that were in the game. Some of the puzzle are very nice to solve. Cognition is one of the new adventure games that make you want more .... Can't wait for the Episode 2 to come out .
  5. Dec 3, 2012
    Cognition was a breath of fresh air during a time of monotonous stories, mediocre storytelling, and games just overall lacking in any sort of human qualities. You will be taken back to a time in gaming where immersion was attained simply through your own curiosity. The beautiful musical scores and some of the best voice acting you'll ever hear only help to take your experience a step further.
  6. Dec 3, 2012
    I played this game on the recommendation of a friend. I hadn't heard of it before that nor had I much experience with the games type of play style. However, despite my ignorance, I found the game to be very interesting. It was dark and thrilling. It's atmosphere was reminiscent of a good novel. I was easily lost in the story and wanted to play more. I also have a very soft spot for hotI played this game on the recommendation of a friend. I hadn't heard of it before that nor had I much experience with the games type of play style. However, despite my ignorance, I found the game to be very interesting. It was dark and thrilling. It's atmosphere was reminiscent of a good novel. I was easily lost in the story and wanted to play more. I also have a very soft spot for hot redheads with green eyes. I gave an 8 out of 10. It lost 2 points for long(ish) load times. Expand
  7. Jul 5, 2013
    To be completely honest, I am surprised at the number of high ratings for this game. I played as much as I could of this game but couldn't get past the beginning. The story concept and all seemed like it would be interesting but the implementation of the ideas just did not create a compelling enough game to play past that point.

The graphics were relatively amateurish and I was not

The graphics were relatively amateurish and I was not impressed with that aspect at all.

The gameplay was kind of difficult, but not in a good way. It was difficult in the game play mechanics and was tedious at best.

Not recommended even for the biggest click through story fan.
  8. May 27, 2014
    I'm not a big fan of point and click adventure games, I usually find them usually too boring or with excessively contrived puzzles. However, seeing the trailer for this one got me to play the demo on steam. Quite frankly, the demo blew my mind, I couldn't wait to play the rest. After buying all 4 episodes and having just finished the first, and it's everything I hoped for, and more. InI'm not a big fan of point and click adventure games, I usually find them usually too boring or with excessively contrived puzzles. However, seeing the trailer for this one got me to play the demo on steam. Quite frankly, the demo blew my mind, I couldn't wait to play the rest. After buying all 4 episodes and having just finished the first, and it's everything I hoped for, and more. In short: try the demo on steam and know that the game builds and expands on that, especially on the "puzzler" side.

You play as Erica Reed, FBI detective in this puzzle, murder investigation thriller, point and click adventure game. The game has very immersive atmosphere supported by nice art and beautiful music, ranging appropriately from relaxed and melancholic to foreboding and tense. Additionally, the voice acting is superb across the board, giving life to the characters and supporting a very good story, gripping and often emotional as well. While you're putting your puzzles together, you're not just figuring out gimmicky, weird puzzle mechanics, you're actually using clues and information you uncover on your investigations in a quite logical manner. Furthermore, and not to spoil anything, Erica's special "intuition" talent is cool tool for finding clues that is very well realized and interesting to watch. So, you'll actually feel that you're unravelling the mysteries and learning more and more about the story. Making progress provided me with a lot of "oh!" moments, when I felt that rush after you just realized something new that happened in the story, and made me feel gripped by it.

There are very good scenes to be had, especially one close to the end, where the voice acting, the writing, the art and the music all came together in a magical, memorable way. There's even some tense "action puzzle" scenes, which were very interesting as well, I wasn't expecting to be so engaged and tense by a point and click puzzler.

I only stumbled very occasionally on a puzzle here and there, and I found out that it was my fault in missing some info or other. If you're stuck, you can text your dad, a former police investigator, and he will give you hints on things you've missed that point you in the right direction without giving it away. A very cool system, I thought, hitting the balance between preventing real frustration while making you "do the work" without straight giving you the solution. With all this, I found the puzzles overall to be interesting, logical instead of randomly contrived and virtually non-frustrating.

There's only a few cons to these game, in my opinion. There are occasional bugs involving the characters' placement and movement on the screen, but they "fix themselves" straight away without disturbing the game. The other "problem" is that the game is sometimes a little slow, not only the overall pacing of the story but (and more importantly, I think), while you're clicking and waiting for the characters to do their animations. Still, one can argue that the slowish pacing enhances the immersion and enjoyment of the game by exposing you more to the very good atmosphere overall.

It's not often that a game surprises me so. If you are ready to put some quiet time aside for this, you'll be rewarded with a good mystery story, with some sparks of beauty, that will make you feel the more engaged the more you progress through the puzzles, and even has some interesting and tense "action puzzles". Again, you can't go wrong in trying the demo for yourself.
  9. Dec 3, 2012
    This game is a great throw-back to adventure game thrillers from the 90s, but with upgraded graphics and a fresh new game dynamic. The story is really what makes me marking the calendar for future episode releases. No spoilers, but Erika's use of paranormal abilities is awesome. Game consultant Jane Jensen makes this a real treat because you can see her influence throughout. JaneThis game is a great throw-back to adventure game thrillers from the 90s, but with upgraded graphics and a fresh new game dynamic. The story is really what makes me marking the calendar for future episode releases. No spoilers, but Erika's use of paranormal abilities is awesome. Game consultant Jane Jensen makes this a real treat because you can see her influence throughout. Jane created Sierra classic, Gabriel Knight and newer games like Gray Matter. Expand
  10. Dec 5, 2012
    The only reason you want to play this is the great lack of maniac chasing adventure games in general (so it's this or the Art of Murder, mwahaha). Also, the song of the Scarlet Furies and Raleigh Holmes's voice as Erica's voice. If you experience a severe lust for nice ambients, or greatly miss cell-shaded comic stylised games, pick it up. If you're a sucker for pleasant nicely writtenThe only reason you want to play this is the great lack of maniac chasing adventure games in general (so it's this or the Art of Murder, mwahaha). Also, the song of the Scarlet Furies and Raleigh Holmes's voice as Erica's voice. If you experience a severe lust for nice ambients, or greatly miss cell-shaded comic stylised games, pick it up. If you're a sucker for pleasant nicely written dialogs - it may be your game. If you love how nice ideas get mediocre execution and don't like being surprised by the way the story develops - go and play it right now. If you hate interesting puzzles that make you use your head for something more than leaving the loctation where the search for solution sounds most logical - don't you dare miss it. If you just can't wait to watch how the immersion wanes kicked out by the annoying silly actions incompatible with the real life logic, then try it imme... actually, go to your room. Now. I hope there're enough people in the world who hates you.

In a nutshell - dialogs, graphics, music, voice acting, sierra references and the core idea are good. The story and the most puzzles are as fresh as the desire to be a pirate and as imaginative and fun as interviews with David Cage. So there. Hope it wasn't really hard to gather it's a bit DISAPPOINTING.
  11. Dec 19, 2012
    Cognition is a standard point and click adventure with hand drawn cutscenes. Things I liked:
    + Very good music, it is some of the best music I've heard in a game!
    + Intriguing plot! + Overall strong voice acting. Especially the voice for Erica was spot on! + Cognition abilities worked really well. + Lots of detective puzzles that made me feel smart! + Good hint system. Just enough
    + Very good music, it is some of the best music I've heard in a game!
    + Intriguing plot!
    + Overall strong voice acting. Especially the voice for Erica was spot on!
    + Cognition abilities worked really well.
    + Lots of detective puzzles that made me feel smart!
    + Good hint system. Just enough nudges to point me in the right direction.
    + Beautiful background art! Things I did not like:
    - Some annoying puzzles that just make no sense. This is one thing I do not miss from the golden era of adventure games!
    - Longish loading times.
    - Some plot holes. - Stiff facial animations.

Overall though I found Cognition to be a very good game and can definitely recommend it to fans of the genre. I can't wait for the future episodes myself!
  12. Jun 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After having played this game for more than seven hours, I can safely say that this has been the frustrating gaming experience I've had in a while. I've played a lot of games made on small budgets but this is just something else.

Gameplay is infuriating. Puzzles range from too easy to too hard. Players will find themselves going back and forth between locations and completing repetitive tasks. There are just so many menial tasks that need to be completed for minimal progression. For example, in order to get someone to talk, you have to offer them three different types of food that you get from three different places in different locations. While this certainly lengthens gameplay, it's doing it in the wrong way, and makes the pace unbearable. This is not to mention half the time players are struggling with simply how to interact with the world.

The narrative is uninspired and unengaging. I'm 90% through the episode and I still don't care about any of the cliche characters or the victims of any of the crimes. The story is also incredible, and not in the good way. The game starts off with the detective being willing to subject herself to torture, and pulling a gun on her partner who tries to stop her, all because she wants to save her brother. Seriously? Oh, and by the way, the game is unplayable without a walkthrough - you'll be left wondering "what now?" so many times you might as well just watch someone play through the entire thing on youtube.

I purchased this game because I've always been a fan of point and click adventures, but beware that you're in for an extremely frustrating experience that won't give you a fraction of the enjoyment as games from Telltale. Seriously, I don't even know if this game deserves a 1.
  13. Oct 15, 2013
    Enjoyable at times, but lacking in fluidity. Animations and transitions were also slow to the point of frustration. How I wish I could only click a map button, then a destination... rather than clumsily navigate my character to the level exit, click the wider map twice, then finally my destination twice.
  14. Dec 1, 2013
    A really great game for a little money. FBI agent versus the serial killer sounds cliche? Don't worry, the story will surprise you a few times. Especially the first two episodes are very enjoyable and worth playing. The story is like the mixture of two famous film thrillers: Seven and Silence of the Lambs.
    Advantages:
    +An interesting plot and characters +Story twists +Nicely written
    Advantages:
    +An interesting plot and characters
    +Story twists
    +Nicely written dialogues
    +Mechanics: typical adventure with some puzzles and action elements
    +Music
    +Voice acting
    +2D graphics (great comic stylised drawings )
    Disadvantages:
    -Initially great story slows down at the end
    -Towards the end of the game the characters' choices become unreasonable and ridiculous
    -Bugs
    -3D graphics
    However, try it if you like point-and-click thriller style adventure games.
  15. Apr 15, 2014
    Are these other reviewers playing the same game? This game borders on trashware. It feels like an amateur fan game with the horrible graphics and writing.

Games like this are why many customers wish refunds were always available.
  16. Mar 2, 2014
    A gorgeous adventure in the spirit of genre classics like Gabriel Knight, Blade Runner and Gray Matter. The gripping story was apparently co-written by legendary Jane Jensen and it shows. An instant classic with great storyline, inspired artwork and some of the best puzzles I've seen in a looong time. Can't wait to play Episode 2. Well done, Phoenix!!
  17. Feb 8, 2013
    Great story, great art style, great sound, music, and I didn't notice any major bugs. The animations could use a little work, but other than that, I'd say it's an A+ title. This is one of the few episodic adventure games that I could actually sit down and play through both of the first two episodes in a single sitting, AND still want more. These episodes aren't really that short, either.
  18. Jun 5, 2014
    Seems to me a great potential has been wasted with the game engine used. I mean, if there is an emergency, it shouldn't take 2 seconds for a character to simply turn back and align with the object that has been chosen for interaction. It's so "10 years ago". I like the way how the story is told, then again, the game engine tells that story so slow that your excitement is questionable.Seems to me a great potential has been wasted with the game engine used. I mean, if there is an emergency, it shouldn't take 2 seconds for a character to simply turn back and align with the object that has been chosen for interaction. It's so "10 years ago". I like the way how the story is told, then again, the game engine tells that story so slow that your excitement is questionable.

Still, yes, I recommend the game as it is hard to find a solid adventure game.
  19. Dec 31, 2013
    One of the best Point n Clicks in a very long time. The story is suberb and the atmosphere is top notch. The gameplay ideas that divert this are wonderful and very well implemented. The only drawback is that I kinda got tired till the fourth episode storywise. Though the first couple of episodes are excellent and the overall story is quite complex.

Up with the classics of Jensen and the

Up with the classics of Jensen and the Sierra, LucasArts... Great game.
  20. Dec 5, 2012

1. Apr 2, 2013
    The game opening is especially powerful and it manages to keep that momentum for a while before feeling like it's slowed down too much. It ramps things up for a fun interrogation sequence and an exciting ending.
  2. Mar 5, 2013
    As a first episode, The Hangman does more right than it does wrong.
  3. Mar 4, 2013
    Cognition fails not from a lack of execution, but from a lack of imagination.