7.6

1. Jun 5, 2012
    I had no idea that Cogs, a somewhat random pick up I obtained in the Humble Bundle, would entrap me the way it did. I don't exactly know how to review this title, after all it really is just a sliding puzzle game. All I can tell you is give it a chance, the game is beautifully executed.
  2. Jul 21, 2012
    It made me think and it excels in inventing a rich variety on a simple formula. Worth it for the graphics alone, the designers did a wonderful job. I have no idea how to further improve on the genre. Only the gameplay's root in one singly type of puzzle keeps Cogs from a ten in my book. But one could choose to see its focus as a strength.
  3. Jan 13, 2012
    Your mileage may vary.

Do you like sliding block puzzles? The one where there's a grid of numbers placed out of order with one free space, and you have to get them in order by sliding them around one a time? Then you'll like Cogs. Do you hate sliding block puzzles? Then you'll probably tolerate Cogs for a bit before uninstalling it. I personally fall into the latter camp. The art and
    animation are wonderful, and the way the puzzles are couched is rather innovative, but unfortunately you're still just sliding blocks around, one at a time. Expand
  4. Dec 31, 2010
    I guess this must be heaven for anyone who's into sliding puzzles. Cogs delivers them in great number and variety. The presentation is very well done, the controls are smooth and if you have the patience for this kind of puzzles, you can spend many hours on it. For the less patient who are rather into puzzles that require less planning ahead this might quickly turn into a tedious shuffling around of pieces. It does come at a very reasonable price though, so there is not really anything to complain about. Expand
  5. Dec 1, 2011
    Wow, lovely puzzle game! .. And believe me, normally i hate puzzles ! Cogs is a perfect game for a 15 minute session.. just to exercise your brain;) Levels are well designed, smart and pleasure to watch. Specially when you finish the task and see the outcome - e.g steam moves a little toy helicopter ;) There's plenty of levels and special challenge mode, so you would not be bored. I can imagine that all puzzle fanatics will really enjoy Cogs, for me it's a nice distraction - so, 7 points out of 10. Very decent game, bravo Lazy8 Studios! Expand
  6. Oct 14, 2011
    Nice little puzzle game, with pretty graphics and sound. There is alot of levels to solve, but they all play the same, just scrambled blocks you have to put in order all the time. Its ok, but i expected something more original and innovative.
  7. Mar 30, 2012
    Great litle puzzle game which combines simple ideas into something quite innovative and ingenious. It takes the age old sliding blocks puzzle and adds a few ideas of it's own to create a fun, addictive puzzler. It starts off easy but becomes something that will make your head hurt! Not the sort of thing you will play for hours on end, but is just right for a quick go...or two. It's cheap price means you can't really go wrong. A game that will appeal even to people who don't normally play computer games, because it's something that anybody can just sit down and know how to play straight away. Expand
  8. CRL
    Nov 8, 2011
    Cogs is an excellent, though at times extremely infuriating puzzle game that takes old-fashioned tile sliding puzzles to a new, 3-dimensional extreme. It has enough levels to keep you going for a long time, and the feeling of accomplishment you get from solving a particularly difficult puzzle is pretty good. Add to the regular mode a beat-the-clock option (where you get 30 seconds to solve a puzzle), and a limited moves mode (10 moves to solve the puzzle), and this game can give you hours of pure (though at times vexing) enjoyment. Expand
  9. Jul 27, 2011
    If you like puzzle games, you will probably love Cogs. It's a mixture of classic sliding puzzle mechanics and spacial awareness... all tied up in a nice steampunk package.

Puzzles are generally accomplished by normal sliding block mechanics.. trading pieces around to put the correct ones in the correct space. The real trick comes as you progress through the levels... the puzzles become
    3D... rotated around a cube, or placed back to back... where sliding one piece changes both puzzles' layouts... or having to connect various pieces to make different parts of a machine work on different sides of a cube.

The graphics and sound effects are spot on (although I would have liked widescreen support, I didn't notice after a while). Graphics are smooth and well done... sound effects are minimal and subtle so as not to get annoying... while still adding to the atmosphere. Even the menus are fun.

Not the most original puzzle game I've ever played, but presentation and fun factor are top notch.
  10. Dec 27, 2011
    A very challenging game which is more than worth it for the small price tag. Extra time and move challenges give a lot of replayability and the different tile types mean that there is enough variety to keep you engaged for a long time.
  11. Sep 30, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [PL]Gra ta jest fantastyczna, daje wiele zabawy i rozwija umysÅ Expand
  12. Feb 16, 2013
    Take this game for what is, the ultimate sliding block puzzle collection. It's not just about re-building a picture, you have to arrange gears such they they play simple musical tones in the proper order at the proper rhythm, arrange pipe segments to route steam to multiple locations, and more often than not do both at once in a variety of 3D environments. There are planes with pipes and gear shafts running through the board, and you have to simultaneously arrange both sides (while only being able to view one side at a time) perfectly for the system to work. There are cylinders, cubes where each side affects the function of its adjacent side, and other innovative environments. There are also bronze, silver, and gold medal achievements for both time and number of moves to complete, which I found highly addicting. The animation and art are awesome, and the music is perfect, providing a nice contemplative atmosphere without being intrusive. So taken for what it is, this easily scores a 10 in my book. A lot of the criticism I see here seems to stem from the reviewer not liking sliding block puzzles or thinking that the puzzles in Cogs are too hard; which is like criticizing a su-do-ku puzzle for not being a crossword. If you enjoy visual puzzles of any variety, I'd say there's a good chance you'll enjoy Cogs. Expand
  13. Oct 27, 2013
    Essentially a 3d slidey puzzle which also makes use of logic and basic mechanics. Quite a bit of fun if a bit (for me) short lived enjoyment-wise but then sliding tile puzzles make me want to burn things, so..
  14. Apr 16, 2013
    This is an average puzzle game that will offer you some fun moments, but nothing spectacular. The graphics are good and the puzzles are challenging in this game, but unless you're a die-hard puzzle game fan, you won't be overly enjoying it. It's fun for about 30 minutes at a time, but anything more than that and it starts to become boring. A well made game that offers nothing new to the genre.
  15. Jan 30, 2013
    Great 3D-puzzle, just the way I like it. I have this on PC and Android, which both it works great :) Levels are very challenging and there are interesting game modes, like time/move challenges. Needs addon support and level editor, so users could make their own puzzles :)

The extreme difficulty, coupled with the lack of a hint system, makes Cogs more of a diversion that you'll probably move on from quickly than something that you'll sink a lot of time into.
  2. The game has three game modes and 50 levels, so even when you’ve beaten the ever-increasing-in-difficulty Inventor Mode (basic puzzles and mechanics) you can take them all on again in Time Challenge Mode (30 second time limit) and Move Challenge Mode (ten moves only).
  3. Slide-puzzle addicts with a steampunk fetish will undoubtedly find themselves in heaven.