6.6

1. Oct 2, 2012
    There is simply no better tactical wargame available. This is as close to a simulation that a game can be without losing focus on gameplay.

The demo is free. Try it yourself. If you have any interest in tactical WWII gaming, you'll be hooked.
  2. Apr 11, 2013
    What a gem this is! I really enjoy playing this as the tactical play is more than aspiring and the support for the game is still widely available and more than adequate. The graphical representation is also excellent, with great unit detail and enormous maps, let alone the almost endless choices to choose from of both the above! I recommend this for anyone looking for a historical accurateWhat a gem this is! I really enjoy playing this as the tactical play is more than aspiring and the support for the game is still widely available and more than adequate. The graphical representation is also excellent, with great unit detail and enormous maps, let alone the almost endless choices to choose from of both the above! I recommend this for anyone looking for a historical accurate and most enjoyable representation of the Battle of Normandy. Cheers! Expand
  3. Oct 29, 2013
    Combat Mission Battle for Normandy (CMBN) is an amazing update from the original CM games. I came to this series late and only played Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin and Combat Mission: Afrika Korps after CMBN was announced. I learned fast that using real tactics worked better then just throwing your guys around. I had plenty of fun waiting for CMBN. But wow CMBN is soooo much betterCombat Mission Battle for Normandy (CMBN) is an amazing update from the original CM games. I came to this series late and only played Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin and Combat Mission: Afrika Korps after CMBN was announced. I learned fast that using real tactics worked better then just throwing your guys around. I had plenty of fun waiting for CMBN. But wow CMBN is soooo much better than the original series. The modeling down to each individual soldier makes the immersion during battles amazing. Using real life tactics is even more important now. You cannot just order a platoon to cross an open field against enemy fire. They will take casualties and decide to save their lives and return to cover. But if you prepare your assault with supporting fire and suppression against the enemy you will succeed.

The new spotting model is amazing I have spent plenty of time with no idea what my opponent is doing or what condition his force is in. If your guys cannot see the enemy then you see nothing. If they see and hear gun fire from behind cover all you get are contact icons. Only once your men see the enemy soldiers do you have any information about what you are facing. It creates a great effect as you try to decipher what your enemy is doing. It also means that even though the eye in the sky (i.e. you) might know information about the location of an enemy unit, you will not necessarily be able to get every unit under your command to fire on that enemy. Only those units that can see the enemy's location can fire and those of your units that have not spotted the enemy yet will only be able to fire at the general area instead of directing fire at a detected enemy.

This truly is the ultimate war game. I used to play miniature table top gaming and hex based cardboard games but gave them up many years ago. The realism just was not there. CMBN has a feel to it that you just cannot get from the "I can see all your counters" games of the past. No game is perfect and neither is CMBN. Many people criticize the UI but I do not find many things that are an issue I am sure improvements can be made. There have been many defects reported and many defects have been fixed by the development team. In fact this is one of the best supported products I have ever used. There are going to be times when something happens in game that you will think is ridiculous and may be it is. Take it in stride as the fortunes of war and carry on. The great strength of this game is that it is not deterministic lets face it neither is real life. Bad luck can befall you and you might get caught in a corner case. Just treat those incidents as bad luck and go make some good luck for yourself by paying attention to real life tactics and take care of your men. The biggest short coming I find with CMBN is the scenario map editor. That could really use a UI face lift. There is no way to overlay images in the editor to help create realistic contour lines and building road positioning. Plus the AI planner is pretty difficult to follow and offers no ability to copy and paste. I tried to create a map and gave up. I still do not get how to control the AI's actions it just is not intuitive. But as far as playing the game goes I am very happy. I have been playing multiple games and multiple opponents sine the moment CMBN came out. I see no sign of my interest dropping. I am getting better a playing but still have opponents that are challenging.

---88---
    When I first reviewed this game I had a few criticisms with regard to the scenario editor. They have since enhanced that part of the game taking care of most of my concerns. Scenario creating is a challenge for sure but the game's editor no longer gets in your way the way it originally did. Bravo.
  4. Oct 2, 2012
    Whilst I'll start this review by stating you'll probably have to have an interest in tactical combat or military history to get the most out of CMBN, I myself tick this box and have been playing CMBN for almost a year now, and still get as much out of it as I did when I first started playing. I'll also admit that Battlefront could do a lot to improve the UI (particularly where multiplayerWhilst I'll start this review by stating you'll probably have to have an interest in tactical combat or military history to get the most out of CMBN, I myself tick this box and have been playing CMBN for almost a year now, and still get as much out of it as I did when I first started playing. I'll also admit that Battlefront could do a lot to improve the UI (particularly where multiplayer is concerned. But this said multiplayer is where the best experiences are mostly to be had in CMBN (although their are some terrific single player campaigns out there made by the CMBN community - I particularly recommend 'Devil's Descent' which can be found in Battlefront's repository). In all but the smallest scenario maps you will probably need to forgo real time and play turn based due of the complexity of managing the large number so units usually involved. If playing multiplayer this will mean sending turns to your opponent (There is a great app called Head 2 Head Helper, made by Green as Jade, to take away the admin of doing this) who you'll be best finding on one of the forums, such as Battlefront's own. I prefer turn based play to realtime anyway, as it gives you more time to consider your moves, avoids you committing an afternoon or evening to a single game, and perhaps most importantly allows you to rewind and review great pieces of action such as long range tank KO or ambushing an infantry squad. My best memory of such an incident being when an opponent advanced two-three infantry platoons across a field just as my nebelwerfer artillery strike hit his lines, decimating his ranks to a few whimpering Tommies. All in all, I'm yet to play a game outside the CM2 series which comes close to matching CMBN's tactical credentials and level of detail paid to accurately reflecting the strengths and weaknesses of the arsenal of weapons available to the player. I would have scored the game 10 but marked it down to 9 due to the the UI and adequate if not great graphics. However, if you're in any doubt CMBN more than makes up for these deficiencies by creating the most realistic tactical WWII game out there. If you have an interest in tactical combat games or WWII, you need to give this game a go. One final note, many reviewers (including the previous user reviewers) have overlooked the level of detail and realism that CMBN. If fast pace is what you're after this is not the game for you, but if tension filled realistic tactical gameplay is something that appeals you'll wonder why wasted all that time with Company of Heroes. PS there is also an expansion pack which allows you to play with Commonwealth and SS forces. But even without the game is still a great one. Expand
  5. Oct 20, 2012
    Having been a big fan of the Combat Mission series, I was happy to hear that they had released a newer, more up to date version of the series with Battle for Normandy. While the spirit of the BfN is in the same vein as Combat Mission, it seems (to me, at least) to play on a smaller, more intimate scale than its predecessors (WW II Combat Mission, specifically). Now forces are representedHaving been a big fan of the Combat Mission series, I was happy to hear that they had released a newer, more up to date version of the series with Battle for Normandy. While the spirit of the BfN is in the same vein as Combat Mission, it seems (to me, at least) to play on a smaller, more intimate scale than its predecessors (WW II Combat Mission, specifically). Now forces are represented on a 1:1 scale (yes I know this is not the first time) for the WW II setting, and while it does sport improved graphics, they are not extremely flashy or impressive, unless you compare them directly with the original Combat Mission, and in that respect its much better. The game itself has some idiosyncrasies that tend to increase the frustration, such as shaky path-finding, some questionable decisions on the interface, animation problems, etc, but even with all these problems (which patches have fixed many issues), the game delivered to me an almost unimaginably stressful, nail biting combat simulation. The game works on probability more than hard yes's or no's and a given turn can play out differently each time depending on what happens on both sides. I love this feature a lot, as I was never too sure whether I was advancing through a field, while under fire, in a safe enough manner or if there was some precaution that i could have observed before advancing that would have improved my soldiers chances of survival. This to me, is what I believe a commander would face day after day, and I felt the BfN conveyed the burden of command well, especially in the campaign mode, where you have to manage you're companies resources with the expectation that reinforcements/ammunition would not be replenished immediately after a battle. I love this game for its variety and options and even with its flaws or shortcomings, it still holds my attention and is a lot of fun to play and has a some-what sandbox approach to how you accomplish your objectives. I hope they continue to make more of these games and continue to tweak the game-play of each addition to the Combat Mission family. Expand
  6. Oct 2, 2012
    I have no idea what game the other reviewers were playing that gave them such a bad taste in their mouth, but I have been playing CMBN for almost 18 months now and am still thoroughly enjoying it. If you are on the fence or just really unsure after all the negative waves, try the demo, it's free. I am betting you'll be wondering what they were playing as well.

First of all the focus

First of all the focus is Normandy obviously. It's worth a few minutes to become familiar the concept Battlefront has for game releases. A specific game is called a family. It is made up of the base game and additional modules to add material to round out that particular game. The game itself could be a campaign within WW2 or as in CMSF a modern (if fictional) campaign. Why not just cover an entire theater like the CMx1 series did? Simple, there is just far too much material in the newer engine and game to be able to do so. The module concept is key as you will note the previous reviewers decrying the lack of material. Apparently they decided to ignore all the statements from BF and critique what they already knew would not be in the base game. Don't sweat it, the SS, Luftwaffe troops etc etc are all included but not necessarily in the base game. As to the Amphibious, Para and glider landings - this isn't an RTS toy. It is a tactical combat simulator and no you can't be shooting at paras as they glide to earth for the few hours in a 90 day campaign that this actually occurred during. BF doesn't build games to try and cover every aspect of what someone MIGHT like to see a couple times. They focus on the big picture and where the gamer will spend 99.9% of their time. Thank goodness. Lord knows what kind of garbage other folks would have designed into this game that would have make the engine virtually unusable for a few gimmicky flavor items.

It is also worth noting BF this summer made a commitment that to continuous upgrades of all CMx2 games going forward with CMBN so as they continue to develop the game engine and enhance the UI and AI, CMBN will benefit from those developments.

For those of you who like me are not a grog, but love world war 2 gaming, the ongoing debates on the BF forum are actually fairly interesting though at times they give me a bit of a headache. The development of the game is part of an ongoing discussion. How should mortars function, how should machine gun fire best be reflected, how is that best accomplished with the game as at heart it is still a game. I think this is one of the things I like most about Battlefront. They understand they have to balance the ability of the game to provide entertainment for all the folks who only play against the AI. Unfortunately for folks like myself who have become more addicted to playing human opponents, there can be trade offs from that. Tanks firing on the move and the sheer speed of acquisition and fire are just some of those. Are they game breakers? Certainly not but it would be nice if there was some way to differentiate the AI in human to human play. I get though that trying to write 2 levels of TAC AI is just a way too much. Perhaps in a future iteration that would change.

Most of the reviewers seem to either be unaware of that ongoing discussion or chose to ignore it and instead decry everything as "popularizing" the game. Pure rubbish. BF does require a fairly high level of detail and some kind of verifiable information before they will change the mechanics of the game, but given that they will in fact do so (as long as it isn't going to completely break the gaming experience). It is a fairly rigorous process that I personally feel enhances the effort to make the game function as close as possible to realistic combat tactics. Note I said as close as possible. It is still a game and as such will never be able to produce the fog of war 100% nor would we want it to. So if you are looking for a WW2 tactical game that will help you feel what Normandy was like about as much as any game will, this is it. 18 months in and I am just as addicted as day one and the first version upgrade should be coming soon to make it all that much better.
  7. Oct 25, 2013
    CMBN has evolved into a solid title in the 2nd gen of the series. Sure it could really (desperately?)use a more robust graphics engine but the core gameplay is there. I play all kinds of games but Combat Mission will always have a special place in my gaming hobby world.
  8. Oct 29, 2013
    Never before have i played a WW2 game with so much attention to detail or that was so intense, and unforgiving. The game has a steep learning curve, but once you learn it you will be rewarded. I have CMbn and both its modules (expansions) and there is no other ww2 game like them in the world.
  9. Oct 28, 2013
    A brilliant game, needs some time to understand everything going on "under the hood" of the game, but it is the most realistic squad level strategy bar none!! As well as looking great there is a real attention to detail for authenticity.
  10. Oct 29, 2013
    Combat Mission Battle for Normandy is an immersive game that has proven to be one of the best tactical WWII games on the market. The developers have clearly put an extensive amount of effort into researching WWII units and Normandy terrain to create as historically accurate of a battlefield as possible. The game engine is incredible and serves to challenge the player to win a battle withCombat Mission Battle for Normandy is an immersive game that has proven to be one of the best tactical WWII games on the market. The developers have clearly put an extensive amount of effort into researching WWII units and Normandy terrain to create as historically accurate of a battlefield as possible. The game engine is incredible and serves to challenge the player to win a battle with actual WWII tactics. There are no spamming of units or human wave attacks in this game. The player has to maneuver his tactical elements within the 3d battlefield to maximize their strengths against the opponent's weaknesses.
    The results of all of this is a game that immerses the player into the battles of Normandy more than any other game on the market. The typical gamer who grows up on playing RTSs like Red Alert of StarCraft or first person shooters such as the Battlefield series will be shocked by this game and may not find it appealing. This game is meant for those who have a legitimate interest in WWII tactics and history as well as possess a certain level of patience. For those who do enjoy it, though, are rewarded with infinite replayability and constant patches and modules that are released by Battlefront to introduce new game features, units, and campaigns.

Try the demo and see for yourself whether or not this game is for you.
  11. Oct 28, 2013
    It's can be named as Company Battallion level tactical simulation.
    And this game is unique in this area. You have to coordinate your combined army attack and defence either real time or we -go mode. The excellence is impossible in this game so it's playability level is very top level.
  12. Sep 25, 2014
    Best ww2 simmulator out there, its has its problems but it doesent compare, takes time to learn though. Theres more on the series that came out and the turned bases style can make you play masive battles.
  13. May 8, 2014
    There is simply no better tactical war simulation game available, and I've played most all of them. I do not understand anybody who tries to discredit this game for a bunch of nit-picking factors, those are the only negatives I have seen, both personally and from others discussions. If you can find a better tactical wargame, please do tell me what it is and I'll play that. Good luck.
  14. Oct 2, 2012

First of all the focus

1. Oct 19, 2011
    Return of the premier tactical wargame series to World War II is marred a bit by clunky camera and some big UI issues (no grand unit list after ten years, really?). But the game beneath is solid steel, and the additions of new Combat Mission engine good. If only the game would cover more than three months of combat. [June 2011]
  2. Oct 12, 2011
    CMBfN is a very good tactical wargame saddled with pre-alpha looks and controls. [Dec 2011, p.74]
  3. Aug 6, 2011
    Too fiddly and unforgiving for the popular palate, but those after reality-rooted WWII challenges should clearly investigate. [Aug 2011, p.94]