Combat Mission: Shock Force PC

3.3

1. Apr 4, 2013
    This review is based on patch 1.32 and all modules, primarily as a single-player game. First of all I'll freely admit that version 1.00 was a buggy unplayable mess. The current version is completely stable on windows 7 and nearly all initial complaints have been addressed. The most important thing to realize about this game is that it is a hardcore tactical military simulator, not aThis review is based on patch 1.32 and all modules, primarily as a single-player game. First of all I'll freely admit that version 1.00 was a buggy unplayable mess. The current version is completely stable on windows 7 and nearly all initial complaints have been addressed. The most important thing to realize about this game is that it is a hardcore tactical military simulator, not a blockbuster RTS-game. Past and current military professionals might enjoy this straight right away, others may need to read various US Army field manuals, mechanized infantry platoon and squad FM being a good start. CMSF is a highly intellectual challenge where real-world tactics work and are rewarded. Minor mistakes can be severely punished. Luck is a minor factor, rarely deciding the outcome of a given scenario. Realistic victory conditions; neither side will mindlessly fight to the last man, a 15% casualty-rate might be enough for your mission to be declared a failure. I don't think this game is a perfect training tool for real life military forces, but can probably be applied with considerable success to illustrate key concepts of modern warfare. CMSF offers both turn-based and real-time game. Turn based feels more structured and forces you to plan and time your actions more precisely since you have NO ability to influence your forces as the 60 second turn plays out. Veteran and Elite skill-levels disables borg-spotting and fosters attention to your command and control. (Iron skill-level where even friendly units must be spotted on the battlefield is too hardcore for me.)

Cons:
    Clunky user interface (learn hotkeys immediately).
    Dated graphics (but acceptable for the genre).
    Occasionally poor pathfinding (Issue more precise orders).
    Asymmetric warfare may be a turnoff for multiplayer games
    Suspect DRM incompatible with Zonealarm anti virus/firewall.

Pros:
    Outstanding sense of realism.
    Modules add great variety in allied units.
    Different allied forces benefit from application of their respective doctrines.
    Great campaigns with lots of varied mission types.

Above all: CMSF is a great and continuous learning experience about modern warfare. Highly recommended! I hope the next installment in this series will have a more userfriendly DRM.
  2. HughMan
    Dec 7, 2009
    I did not play the game as soon as it came out, but only after the new module featuring the British Army was released. I am thoroughly impressed with the game in it's current state. The tactical depth is amazing. Unlike in other rtsgames you have to really think about where to place your troops, when to rush, when to just sit back and let airsupport or artillery do their magic and I did not play the game as soon as it came out, but only after the new module featuring the British Army was released. I am thoroughly impressed with the game in it's current state. The tactical depth is amazing. Unlike in other rtsgames you have to really think about where to place your troops, when to rush, when to just sit back and let airsupport or artillery do their magic and when to retreat to another firing position. The only complaint I have is that the interface is a bit fiddly at first, but as soon as you learn the shortcuts it's ok. Expand
  3. JensB.
    Jun 29, 2008
    I would have given this game a 3 when it was released, however, after eight patches, this game has improved immensely. There are still issues, especially with infantry combat in dense, urban terrain, but overall the game is very playable in its present state. If you were disappointed with this game 6 months ago, I recommend giving it another try now.
  4. JohnJ
    Apr 19, 2008
    Now at 1.08 this game is not buggy any more, so ignore the low scores here talking of buggy. Nevertheless, although a fun game and I can give it an 8 easily, it is not as good as the previous Combat Missions, especially the first one. If you like the original Combat Mission, you will like this. Play the 1.08 version and you'll find it's almost as good as the previous Combat Now at 1.08 this game is not buggy any more, so ignore the low scores here talking of buggy. Nevertheless, although a fun game and I can give it an 8 easily, it is not as good as the previous Combat Missions, especially the first one. If you like the original Combat Mission, you will like this. Play the 1.08 version and you'll find it's almost as good as the previous Combat Mission's, and given how good they were, this makes it a pretty good game in it's own right! Expand
  5. BrendanF.
    Mar 19, 2008
    Didn't buy this originally because of the bugs, but the word on all the forums seemed to be that patch 1.07 had finally turned this into the game it was originally intended to be, and so i bought it. Those people who talk of it being unplayable purely because of bugs or bad pathfinding should reconsider. The only gripes i have with it are the slightly dodgy graphics, but even Didn't buy this originally because of the bugs, but the word on all the forums seemed to be that patch 1.07 had finally turned this into the game it was originally intended to be, and so i bought it. Those people who talk of it being unplayable purely because of bugs or bad pathfinding should reconsider. The only gripes i have with it are the slightly dodgy graphics, but even Battlefront admits in the first page of the manual that they had to skim down some features (graphics) to make others better (ballistics, physics, etc). And its not difficult if one uses real tactics. If you ask for realism, expect to be punished if you don't play it realistically. Fire and Movement, anyone? Collapse
  6. JohnO.
    Nov 27, 2007
    Bad start but worked better every patch. I think the community has responded negatively because they were expecting the be all end all.
  7. ArtP.
    Oct 24, 2007
    I liked it when it first came with the bugs and each time they patch it, it gets better.
  8. Sigmund
    Aug 27, 2007
    Challenging! And great potential. Knowing BFC, patches (based on players' feedbacks, not whines...) will not only correct but also improve the game. I really like to play it...and get kicked alot :) . Lots to learn.
  9. FredericN.
    Aug 18, 2007
    While unpolished at release, a true gem, and spectacular fun and interesting. With Battlefront's previous track record the CMx engine will once again define wargaming.

1. AceGamez
    It looks and sounds great, but the lack of a tutorial is a major letdown, as the game is just too complex not to have one. Even the first few missions of the campaign are quite difficult and don't ease you into the game as they should. The simplistic AI also hurts the gameplay in the campaign mode too.
  2. I don't think I've enjoyed a wargame as much this one since I played the original Combat Mission game all those years ago. If you have an interest in simulating realistic modern warfare, and specifically seeing how the new Stryker concept would fare in battle, you can't go wrong with Combat Mission: Shock Force.
  3. Newbies may find it a little intimidating to get into, but perseverance brings reward in the shape of an immersive experience that’s about as fun as war gaming can get.