8.2

1. Jan 27, 2013
    C&C Generals is in my opinion one of the best strategy games ever released. Unlike many other games that call themselves "strategy" games, Generals really requires a good strategy to play well. It is very well balanced and very entertaining while it isn't as needlessly complex as many other strategy games are. Even though the game was release quite a few years before I write this review, IC&C Generals is in my opinion one of the best strategy games ever released. Unlike many other games that call themselves "strategy" games, Generals really requires a good strategy to play well. It is very well balanced and very entertaining while it isn't as needlessly complex as many other strategy games are. Even though the game was release quite a few years before I write this review, I still consider it a must-buy for people who enjoy strategy games. Expand
  2. Jan 10, 2014
    Whilst not the deepest, most hardcore RTS ever made, C&C Generals still sits on my hard drive ever since it was released around 10 years ago. Why? Simple - it's just so much fun, and isn't that the whole point of gaming?

When Westwood were bought by EA, and me being a longstanding fan of the C&C series from the days of the very first C&C, I thought the series was doomed. But I was so surprised to see what a great job EA had done with it and brought C&C forward into the 21st century. EA have moved the series forward whilst keeping the classic C&C formula. For example, you still have the classic rock-paper-scissors formula i.e. tanks kill tanks but are vulnerable to rocket men, who in turn are vulnerable to the basic infantry units. But the resource system is now much better. In the past, whoever owned all the tiberium / ore, etc won the game. Strategy would usually involve annihilating your opponents harvesters / ore trucks, etc and starve them of cash. With the introduction of buildings / units that can generate an infinite amount of resources, players can no longer adopt this strategy. This means that more emphasis is placed on combat rather than waiting for your harvester to deliver a load of tiberium so you can build a tank and a man!
    This may not be to everyone's taste, but I think it works well. Tank rushes are still possible, but the AI opponents can opt for this strategy too (and frequently do).

I don't generally enjoy playing RTS games online against players, and so spend most of my time playing C&C against AI opponents with or without mates. I always feel that the difficulty of this game is about right for me - it's challenging without being ridiculously impossible on the easiest difficulty setting (take note CoH2!) . Perhaps I'm just hopeless at RTS games, but "hard" really means hard, and "easy" really means easy in C&C Generals.

At time of release, the graphics were impressive but although now clearly dated, they aren't laughable. I expect this game is cheap to pick up now and any RTS fan should pick this game up. Judging by the number of positive reviews on here, as opposed to negative ones suggests that this game is a must.
  3. Oct 13, 2014
    Boy, is this game fun! This is the only C&C game that I've ever played. I haven't played the others because the futuristic (Tiberium series) and the alternate history (Red Alert series) themes somehow don't excite me. This is the only game in the franchise that has the modern warfare theme. You play as either the USA, China or the antagonist, the GLA (Global Liberation Army). AI is veryBoy, is this game fun! This is the only C&C game that I've ever played. I haven't played the others because the futuristic (Tiberium series) and the alternate history (Red Alert series) themes somehow don't excite me. This is the only game in the franchise that has the modern warfare theme. You play as either the USA, China or the antagonist, the GLA (Global Liberation Army). AI is very challenging and even frustrating, but frustrating enough that will make you come back. Have never played online, but you can play with bots in skirmish modes and that alone is fun, so imagine online play (which is still possible thanks to GameRanger). My only complaint is that sometimes your units don't defend themselves when attacked. Nevertheless, play this game. Right now, it's only available with the C&C Collection. And despite what I said about not liking the themes of Red Alert and Tiberium, I might give them a chance one day, if the gameplay is like Generals. Expand
  4. Sep 26, 2011
    The major changes make Generals a more generic RTS, but it is still fun and original enough for it to hardly matter at all. Worth picking up in a sale.
  5. Sep 3, 2012
    For me, C&C Generals was succeeding a very well made RTS, Red Alert 2, even though its a different type of C&C title. Although I do not believe overall that Generals is a better game, it is still a decent game and fun to play. It also importantly includes 2 great features, Online Multiplayer and a map editor. Online is fun against other players, challenging, and usually the connection isFor me, C&C Generals was succeeding a very well made RTS, Red Alert 2, even though its a different type of C&C title. Although I do not believe overall that Generals is a better game, it is still a decent game and fun to play. It also importantly includes 2 great features, Online Multiplayer and a map editor. Online is fun against other players, challenging, and usually the connection is pretty solid. The map editor includes a lot of options, definitely worth checking out if you like making your own games. I do like how this game has a realistic aspect to it, the units and buildings are of a "modern genre" and makes for an interesting battle. There are some flaws though, at times the game is a bit "immature" and I think its missing some of the basic C&C feel. It is important creators of the series don't shy away from the fast-paced, intense combat of the past or the titles may suffer. I will admit right now that I am extremely excited for C&C Generals 2, I think it as the potential to become a superb RTS, please EA please! Expand
  6. Oct 15, 2014
    This was my first video game, by far one of the funnest. This game is so fun and is WORTH getting. The best strategy game I have seen before. Great campaigns, differences between teams and strategies. The Campaign definitely gets more difficult as you go, but it is good. The one complaint I have is the final mission for the Chinese campaign. That mission is damn near impossible! (For me.)This was my first video game, by far one of the funnest. This game is so fun and is WORTH getting. The best strategy game I have seen before. Great campaigns, differences between teams and strategies. The Campaign definitely gets more difficult as you go, but it is good. The one complaint I have is the final mission for the Chinese campaign. That mission is damn near impossible! (For me.) This is a good game for new gamers, and regular gamers and isn't inappropriate. There is no cursing or anything like that. I mean, it IS a war strategy game. I definitely recommend this game, buy it! :D Expand
  7. Oct 13, 2011
    This C&C game introduces something new with a new sidebar similar to the Starcraft and Warcraft series, better resolution and 3D graphics under SAGE. The lack of a good story, terrible buggy AI and unbalanced gameplay makes the game way off the mark.
  8. Mar 26, 2011
    Monotonous, repetitive, boring: a shadow od a fantastic franchise. It completely lack originality, and often becomes a bit of a cliche. I did enjoy it for some time, but became bored surprisingly quickly.
  9. Jan 1, 2012
    While this basicly is a decent game it becomes hurtfully obvious that EA is mismanaging the C&C franchise releasing such games. First of all this game has basicly nothing to do with C&C. It is just named this way for marketing purposes. And as second this game could have been outstanding if EA would have invested more in it. But they simply didnt. It got released with horrible bugs, aWhile this basicly is a decent game it becomes hurtfully obvious that EA is mismanaging the C&C franchise releasing such games. First of all this game has basicly nothing to do with C&C. It is just named this way for marketing purposes. And as second this game could have been outstanding if EA would have invested more in it. But they simply didnt. It got released with horrible bugs, a horrible cheating ai and plain retarded mistakes in campaigns scripts that simply should be impossible to happen. Like for example players starting base beeing set in the same corner of teh map where the ai is repeatedly launching its super weapons from so the player can not defend himself against the attacks. Expand
  10. Jan 18, 2013
    Playability is awful, you can't scroll trough the map with keys, you must select buildings to build troops unlike other games in the saga, and the button configuration of the mouse is plainly retard: the left mouse button is used to both select and give orders, meanwhile the right button is used only to deselect.
    Also units don't return enemy fire unless you set them on guard, by default
    Also units don't return enemy fire unless you set them on guard, by default they stand by till death.

The graphics and animations are the best I have yet to see in a RTS, and the in-game effects are powerful. Just get ready to laugh like a maniac at what the units say during the game.
    Generals has a rock-solid single-player game and the most addictive multiplayer skirmishes of the year... A gaming masterpiece.
  3. With amazing visuals and an arsenal that would make Saddam Hussein soil his prayer mat, C&C Generals is war at its flashiest.