• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Jun 25, 2013
2.0

1. Jul 6, 2013
    This could have been a great game. But I think it still is a good game.

This could have been a great game. But I think it still is a good game.

Compared to its predecessor, Company of Heroes I, it is a step up in graphics, animation, sound and several gameplay elements, but a step down at much else. Doctrines are dumbed down. Unit weapon stats are gone. Realism has taken a turn for the worse (e.g. homing AT-nades which always hit the engine with same max distance as Panzerfaust or crazy tank-ramming which always hits and destroys the gun of the victim tank). Unit abilities seem half-baked. And the user interface has been messed up did Relic delegate it to an intern?

The multiplayer ranking ladder from the predecessor is gone. Instead, we have an experience system a lá Battlefield or Call of Duty out of place and really ridiculous. Of course, matchmaking suffer because of this.

To make matters worse, the marketing department at Sega has worked day and night to packet lots of different DLCs to maximize revenue from already paying customers, which their cherished fan-base of course must pay for, even though they obviously have been developed alongside the main product, and adding nothing really new so far (e.g a new doctrine with a new combination of already existing commander abilities).

In conclusion, the best WW2 RTS out at the moment, a ton of fun, but with lots of improvement potential.
  2. Jun 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To all who rate this game so negative did u play it already? What's wrong with the campaign? You come out here and assess this game with 4 points or less WITHOUT arguments ...

Its a realy nice Game! It´s not CoH 1 but you can tell where it comes from.
    I like the new features like Winter, footsteps, true sight and so on. Caomaign is also good.

Good work Relic. Keep on!
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    Company of Heroes 2 is a great sequel of the original and definitely lives up to the expectations of dedicated fans who waited 7 years for it to come out.

The game feels similar to Vanilla CoH simply because the system used in it was so successful, cover, randomness and all the amazing features that were never experienced before in a RTS game. The game is very specific, one and only

The game is very specific, one and only standing out of the crowd, you have to love the way it feels and plays, unlike StarCraft and other similar RTS, CoH has the randomness factor and lacks exact numbers so you cannot really predict how the engagement is gonna end up, unit counters are purely situational and the only thing stopping you from being creative about the tactics is yourself!

There is a lot of hate in the scores, they are absolute bs, game is relatively cheap for standard edition, not more expensive than any other new release, and the exclusive red start edition which is in fact £70/$100 is not required, I got it since I love Relic and their work, but the only think that I have and others does not are skins (cosmetic changes) and Theatre of War, Single Player/ Co-op missions.

There is no exclusive content that gives you advantages in multiplayer over other people so please stop whining.

As to the political hate. This is World War II, eastern front, Russians vs Germans, fair enough, both of them were hated by some, but ffs this is a VIDEO GAME, Russians were tyrants just as Germans were, not all of them, but they were, I know this well having some insight into the history and coming from Poland that used to be under the occupation of both factions, if you ask me? Russians were much worse than Germans at times, yet everyone cries about showing them in the bad light.

"Not one step back" was a thing and a lot of Russians died fighting for the Motherland, deal with it. They murdered, raped and pillaged, MUCH MORE than German forces advancing through some countries but this is a political discussion and we are not here for this.

The game is amazing, definitely worth buying and playing for the next 7 years until Company of Heroes 3 comes out.

RECOMMENDED!

Just Dawid.
  4. Jun 25, 2013
    This game is a fantastic game. This game is by no means a perfect score, but is worth a purchase. First off, the theater of war campaign with a friend is completely enjoyable and allows you to play as both the Russians and Germans in their separate campaigns.

The AI is not as bad as people think. Playing on a EASY AI is technically easy, but the AI does get more difficult faster, depending on the difficulty put on. The skirmish fights are very enticing and enjoyable as well. There is a lot of action, and of course explosions that bring what WW2 had to the table. The only thing that I have seen that I would not mind changing, is the resources (Oil, Ammunition) were a little more available as the first Company of heroes. The full on customization of your commanders and the tech trees you want to bring to the battlefield is completely brilliant. It allows for users to really dig into their roots and bring out their own specific play styles.

This game once again, has been very enjoyable thus far and I continue to play. Come and joy me, as Company of Heroes 2 is a breath of decent fresh air. Good luck and have fun!
  5. Jun 25, 2013
    The main problems for some gamers are the "political subtext" and "it's too old". Nice. Game really good, nice. Many DLC materials could be open while playing. Multiplayer are good, but some bus may be revealed. Sorry for mistakes. And for hidden "comrades". khm,
  6. Jul 13, 2013
    I have over a hundred hours into this game between the beta and launch. Overall it's a fantastic game. Relic didn't waste time trying to reinvent the wheel, which is great because the original COH was near perfection. The added features like winter weather hazards, better line of site, and the ability to vault obstacles are welcome editions although the vaulting is a little more cumbersomeI have over a hundred hours into this game between the beta and launch. Overall it's a fantastic game. Relic didn't waste time trying to reinvent the wheel, which is great because the original COH was near perfection. The added features like winter weather hazards, better line of site, and the ability to vault obstacles are welcome editions although the vaulting is a little more cumbersome than it should be. I like that several maps are available in winter or summer versions. The difference is interesting. The Theater of War, AI Automatch, Custom Game, and PvP AutoMatch features add a ton of depth to the game that greatly increase it's replayability. The balancing of the PvP and PvAI could use some tweeking. I find it odd that Russian units require as many resources as they do. It seems that German units should be more expensive, but much more effective. Russian units should be less effective, but much cheaper. This would reflect the reality of the conflict better, but that's not the case. It does seem like Russian units are weaker than their German counterparts, but they still cost a lot of manpower, ammunitions, and fuel. I also really wish that team crewed weapons like HMG Teams and Anti-Tank Guns would turn to face potential threats on their own. There's nothing more annoying than having an HMG team flanked because they won't reface quickly enough especially when the attacking force is clearly visible upon approach. Mortar teams turn to lob rounds at nearby enemies why not HMG Teams and Anti-Tank Guns? If you face a crew it should turn to face threats and then return to the original facing. Having to micro manage every interaction can be frustrating. The single player campaign has been pretty easy so far, but I appreciate the story and cut scenes. Unlike some of the reviews I think they portray the conflict honestly and don't degrade the Russians at all. The Germans were a brutal enemy and survival required the Russians to make huge sacrifices because at the beginning of the conflict they weren't nearly as well armed or as well trained. They basically had to throw bodies at the German war machine to even have a hope of delaying it. I think the game honors the brave sacrifice that millions of Russians made against incredible odds.

Overall COH 2 has great graphics, lots of features, pretty solid gameplay, with some minor balance issues. It's historically accurate and tons of fun. I think it's well worth the purchase price if you're into RTS games. The multitude of features adds a lot of depth. I hope they fix some of the balancing issues and adjust the facing issue with crewed weapons. I also hope they create additional DLC. I could use some more multiplayer maps! Great job Relic!
  7. Jun 25, 2013
    This game in my opinion is amazing. I never played the first CoH so I'm not sure if it's too similar or whatever, all I know is that it plays great. The campaign is a bit dull but honestly I don't think that's what most people bought it for. The multiplayer and co-op modes are fast paced and extremely fun. The thing that I enjoy most is that instead of being based on how many clicks youThis game in my opinion is amazing. I never played the first CoH so I'm not sure if it's too similar or whatever, all I know is that it plays great. The campaign is a bit dull but honestly I don't think that's what most people bought it for. The multiplayer and co-op modes are fast paced and extremely fun. The thing that I enjoy most is that instead of being based on how many clicks you can make (looking at you starcraft) the game requires you to best your ally through superior tactics and outmaneuvering. If you are the kind of person who loves ww2 and real combat not a clicking contest BUY THIS GAME. Expand
  8. Jul 11, 2013
    What happend to Metacritic? Its has almost reached the same level as amazon.com when it comes to user reviews... so many biased post, It's almost unbearable. I feel sorry for Relic because they had a very hard time (THQ gone bankrupt) and COH2 was on the edge to be thrown in the paperbox. Sega bought Relic and they could finish this product but it was a troublesome development... underWhat happend to Metacritic? Its has almost reached the same level as amazon.com when it comes to user reviews... so many biased post, It's almost unbearable. I feel sorry for Relic because they had a very hard time (THQ gone bankrupt) and COH2 was on the edge to be thrown in the paperbox. Sega bought Relic and they could finish this product but it was a troublesome development... under those conditions I have to say that this game is actually really good.

I'm sure that Relic will improve on this game with new units, new factions and other features... just like they did with COH1. At the moment COH1 maybe is the better game (aside from graphics) but COH1 was released in 2006 and had tons of balance/content patches and some addons, so you can expect it to be a bit better! COH2 will reach that level in the future... but you have to be patient.

_________________________

Now that this has been said, I actually like this game. I've spent about 100 hours into the online mode already (have not even played the campaign yet) and I totally love it. The early game was a bit unbalanced but yesterday (10th july) the first balance patch was released and they addressed the issues and the next patch will most likely address mid and/or late game. There will be new TOTW missions as well (I finished all TOTW1941 missions on highest difficulty, they where entertaining).

I would give this game 8/10 for its current state but because of all those hater-post I'm going to give it a 10... its really sad how the gamerbase has changed... and NO this review is not bought by relic, as some paranoid users tend to say about other people's opinions on this game.
  9. Jun 25, 2013
    It's just perfect RTS. Also It's the best RTS. Much more better than Men of War.Great story about soviets, excellent multplayer and interesting Theatre of War. I really enjoyed this game! Great game!!!
  10. Jul 7, 2013
    incredible graphics. Very well maintained. Soviets will have to fiddle around this time to move forward and regain their homeland. The game needed a good team, however it is worth the game
  11. Jun 25, 2013
    I played quite a lot of Company of Heroes and not just for the multiplayer. The original CoH campaign was a solid experience that gave us the opportunity to imagine how WW2 was intense, for both the allied forces and the soldiers of the Reich. This time, Company of Heroes 2 takes us to the eastern front and show us how bad things were for the Red Army.

From what I played (about 10 hours

From what I played (about 10 hours or so) the multiplayer feels balanced, fun and, last but not least, full of adrenaline. With people dying and screaming all around you'll get yourself shouting at your monitor for something like "God damnit! Shoot that Panzerfaust, you Also, the multiplayer actually shows the numeric superiority of the Red Army without unbalancing the whole experience.

All in all, Company of Heroes 2 was worth my money and I'm happy with the game. It's a shame that THQ is dead but I have faith that SEGA will be there to support their costumers.
  12. Jun 25, 2013
    the multiplayer is amazing, i'm playing since beta and the gameplay is fantastic, theater of war is intresting to variate and the campain in my opinion is better then the first one... i'm not saying that its fantastic but is variated and solid... however the multiplayer is fantastic
  13. Jun 25, 2013
    Having never really played the first one, I can not comment on change. What i can comment on is how much I enjoyed playing the game. For me a game has to have depth /complexity, be challenging, and and an "endgame" that lasts. On all fronts this game appears to have it.

There is depth. The environments, how units interact with environments and options like different commanders all provide that depth and complexity. For example, I found i could direct artillery to break ice to prevent units from advancing. Even playing the same map over and over i found each instance to be different and challenging.

The AI i found was by no means easy mode and i didn't find it stale (IE they use the same tactics over and over) The AI was challenging and once I am proficient in understanding the controls I know human opponents will provide all the challenge i need. I look forward to playing this for some time.
  14. Jun 25, 2013
    At long last, after so many months, THQ bankruptcy, and many hard moments for CoH community, this game is finally here. Its hard to believe, really. Game is above any of my expectations, regarding hard THQ times and limited budget. I dont know whats the point writing a review about the game which everyone had a chance to try on Steam these past weeks. As a result CoH2 is top seller onAt long last, after so many months, THQ bankruptcy, and many hard moments for CoH community, this game is finally here. Its hard to believe, really. Game is above any of my expectations, regarding hard THQ times and limited budget. I dont know whats the point writing a review about the game which everyone had a chance to try on Steam these past weeks. As a result CoH2 is top seller on Steam atm. Because it sucks? I dont think so. This is not the game where it was insanelly overhiped (cough Bioshock Infinite cough), and you bought it blindly, and later complaining to fall on critic scores. CoH2 had Open Beta, and whoever wanted it he got it.
    Troll den, such as Metacritic, will be a heaven for those, hardly that insanity from Steam forums wont spill here:
    "OMG, this game is just an expansion, CoH 1.5 at its best, rip-ooooooff"
    "OMG, this game is nothing like CoH, its completelly different"
    "They are showing us (Russians) as monsters"
    "They are using commies to show them like heroes, and theres no Americans in this game, boo-hoo"
    "Russians are completelly OP"
    "Germans are OP"
    "You can buy skins like DLC, this is pay 2 win gameeeeeeee"
    Not to mention StarCraft 2, Men of War, and World in Conflict trolls stalking forums and You Tube comment sections. Some of them are submited their reviews already. Great visuals (vehicles are more detailed than in most other genre games), Great voiceover, just like Im used from Relic, and epic soundtrack. This game isnt perfect, I would give it 9, but Im forced to give it 10 because of these reasons.
  15. Jun 25, 2013
    Company of Heroes 2, despite what many naysayers will claim, is not a bad game. If there had never been an original Company of Heroes and Company of Heroes 2 was released on its own the game would score very well; however, it is following a very tough act.

The remarkable innovations of the original game are still evident in Company of Heroes 2, and the game itself continues to take steps forwards with new and innovative features such as the ColdTech and the TrueSight mechanics. It is fun, and it is enjoyable.

But it is not the original Company of Heroes, and I think that is what everyone is going to think when they sit down to play this game. Though all of the aspects of what made the original great are here (the game's engine is gorgeous, the audio is fantastic, gameplay is fresh and innovative, the multiplayer is balanced-ish) the game ultimately falls short of what diehard Company of Heroes players were expecting, because it is impossible to recreate the experience of the original while still making changes, which is what any development studio has to do in order to stay competitive.

The only actual failing of the game, in my opinion, is that of the multiplayer. Though the multiplayer itself is balanced enough to be enjoyable for the moment and will become more balanced over the next four or five months, the approach to the online atmosphere seems to be directed at cooperative play and online play versus AI. The inclusion of the Theater of War mode was well-done and adds an enjoyable amount of replayability to the single-player side of the game.

While I can understand the decision to go the Theater of War-way, as most people who played the original Company of Heroes and its subsequent expansions preferred cooperative play against AI opponents, I feel as though the more competitive side of the online community has been neglected. There are, as far as I have been able to see, no noticeable improvements in the Company of Heroes 2 automatch features, and there seems to have been no real forethought into supporting competitive online play down the road.

All of the games in the Company of Heroes series have always been too slow paced to ever be treated as a proper e-sport, but I think that in this modern day and age when e-sports are on the cusp of becoming big, it was a serious mistake on Relic's part not to have been proactive in attempting to make Company of Heroes 2 a competitive online game.

All in all, however, the game is a solid investment and, in spite of any personal grumblings I have about the lack of foresight on the behalf of the game's developers, the multiplayer is a solid component of the game and complements the single player campaign and theater of war aspects well.

If you played the original and loved it, give this one some time. It is still fun, though you may experience some culture shock in adapting to this new game. If you never played the first game, but enjoy real-time strategy games, you'll find Company of Heroes 2 to be a great experience.

16. Jun 25, 2013
    Being a person who, according to steam, has played the original company of heroes for 272 hours and the beta for so far 52 hours am a bit of a subject matter expert in Company of Heroes. This game is fantastic. It is more balanced than the original and with the advent of more MOS's/ Generals has in my mind greater replay value. The ability of certain units to dominate the battlefieldBeing a person who, according to steam, has played the original company of heroes for 272 hours and the beta for so far 52 hours am a bit of a subject matter expert in Company of Heroes. This game is fantastic. It is more balanced than the original and with the advent of more MOS's/ Generals has in my mind greater replay value. The ability of certain units to dominate the battlefield early has been handled nicely with manpower becoming more scarce as unit upkeep takes its toll. Artillery has more of a primary role in this game, as tanks have a game winning quality in later stages. All in all I couldn't have hoped for a better sequel and am completely amazed that so many people despise this game. I think that an odd blending of nostalgia and elitist irony are to blame. Expand
  17. Jul 10, 2013
    This game looks very beautiful for an RTS! I just can't resist it. The factions are distinct and they feel unique. The voice acting adds to the great immersion of the game.
    Somehow this game has so much charme to it. The weapon sounds, the soldiers' lines and the beautiful and realistic looks of everything make this such an intense experience. Being a very impatient fellah I can even enjoy replays of this that's how gorgeous this game is overall!
  18. Jun 25, 2013
    Company of heroes 2 has taken all of the good things that made CoH 1, refined them, and then added yet even more.

Whilst the campaign came across as a repetitive and numbing, this game truly shines in its "Theater of War" and Online skirmish modes. Battling it out with your friends in Online Skirmish has never felt more visceral and intense. Explosions shred the ground, as vehicles

Battling it out with your friends in Online Skirmish has never felt more visceral and intense. Explosions shred the ground, as vehicles collide with battlefield obstacles, sending broken props flying in all directions, whilst gunfire and mortar fire ring out from every direction. Overall, visuals and battlefield sound fidelity are superb, serving to draw you into the tense, ceaseless atmosphere throughout the course of the battle.

The theme of asymmetrical warfare that was evident in CoH 1 has made a triumphant return, allowing a whole host of fun abilities, commanders, and units to play around with in battles.

AI pathing and vehicle controls have been significantly refined since CoH 1, allowing faster response times and greater freedom of movement throughout the map. However there are still a few issues when controlling large groups of forces, as often times these blobs can bottleneck, causing a degree of frustration.

Theater of War allows the player to play solo, or cooperatively, along the course of World War 2 on the Eastern front, spanning from the initial invasion of the Soviet Union in 1941, to the fall of Berlin in 1945. This mode allows for an interesting historical look at the game, whilst meeting your demands for action, chaos and challenge!

Whilst there is a slightly steep learning curve for those new to RTS, and in particular CoH, I can guarantee that if you stick with it, you'll not only be able to stand a chance against some of the better players, but you'll also have hours upon hours of high destruction fun.

What more can you ask for?

19. Jun 26, 2013
    Awesome game. Not revolutionary, but more of the same of what made Company of Heroes great and that is no bad thing.

If you liked CoH you should love this.
  20. Jun 25, 2013
    Ten reasons to play Company of Heroes 2:

1. Two assymetrical sides of conflict Soviets with their great numbers and universality and Germans with advanced vehicles and skilled soldiers 2. Amazing competitive multiplayer developers really listen to community opinions so there is a good balance between factions even now on Day 1 3. Very interesting Coop missions in Theatre of War mode
    Ten reasons to play Company of Heroes 2:

3. Very interesting Coop missions in Theatre of War mode
    4. Nice graphics and physics every object on the map is destructable, you can turn map into Moon's surface, snow covers houses and vehicle remains during blizzards
    5. New winter warfare blizzards, snow, ice looks beautiful and affects all your actions on the battlefield
    6. Eastern Front with its brutality CoH has become more darker and serious than its predecessor
    7. Awesome soundtrack and unit voiceovers "PPSh-41 for everyone!"
    8. Possibility to create your own army with customizer different unit specialisations, different commanders, different vehicles camos
    9. Cinematic battles soldiers cover behind walls and fences, arty shells and grenades tear infantry aparts, fatally wounded soldiers are trying to crawl from the battle, tanks crush poor infantry there is a WW2 movie on your monitor
    10. Sigleplayer campaign not so historically correct but well-directed, long and interesting

Relic doesn't create bad games. CoH2 is a solid confirmation of this statement.
  21. Jun 25, 2013
    Why is it okay for games like Starcraft, Call of Duty, Battlefield to remain the same every year yet people are okay with it but this game cant? Why ruin one of the best RTS games made. They have added on to it to make it even better. It's a fantastic game and well worth the wait.
  22. Jun 27, 2013
    Briefly about myself: I am one of the largest long-time commentators of the Company of Heroes series on YouTube.

My Background: I have been playing Company of Heroes since 2007 and can firmly say the game is my number one favourite. Any game that allows you to enjoy countless hours of gameplay and bring you back over and over is worthy of a high rating and rightly so CoH is rated as one of the highest RTSs of all-time.

Thoughts on other reviews: Many people have been negatively reviewing the game, some even jumping the gun and giving it a 0/10. These are false reviews and should be neglected. A lot of times these people haven't even played the game and their ability to post such reviews is a problem with metacritic. Many have cited the game for Day 1 DLC, some have thrown in their own political agenda saying the game displays the Russians in a bad light.

My review: It's a historical fact that the Russians were no good guys during World War 2. Anyone trying to say they were are ignorant. A lot of Eastern European countries suffered at their hands during and post war. However, this doesn't justify giving the game a 0/10 as a majority of the review score will be dependent on the actual gameplay.

Company of Heroes 2 is not a revolutionary game, Company of Heroes was. However, CoH2 is an evolution of its prequel. The main features of the series are still present and defines the game as being part of the Company of Heroes series. As a sequel though, CoH 2 expands gameplay features incorporating winter weather, true sight, hoping over fences to name a few. There are all new sets of maps, new factions, new campaign, Theatre of War and so on. With these facts alone its easy to say that this game isn't a DLC nor an expansion but a new game in itself.

During the Alpha and Beta there were a lot of doubts casted on the gameplay mainly the lack of a smoothly flowing game with a wide variety of strategies. A number of patches later and closer to release, it became clear that the developers were listening to the players. The balance of the game has changed dramatically and game flow akin to the original Company of Heroes has emerged.

Having been a major lover of the original Company of Heroes, I'm confident in saying that COH 2 is the future of the series and a worthy sequel. Great experiences are present for both those minded in the single player and/or multiplayer.

The only reason I'm giving this game a 9/10 rather than a solid 10 is due to being realistic. I don't think any game should have day 1 DLC or a tiered purchase system. I still bought the Collector's Edition though because I believe Relic deserves it after how much hours and enjoyment I have had from the original COH.

I'm confident in recommending this game to anyone who loved the original COH and wants to move over to COH 2 and also anyone who has newly been introduced to the series. It's worth every bit of money spent.

You can check out my channel for gameplay videos on COH 1 or 2:

23. Jun 25, 2013
    The campaign is a little hokey but (in my humble opinion) is fairly challenging and long enough to be worth it. To top it off, Theater of War adds a ton of replayability and allows those who don't like competitive multiplayer or who have friends that aren't great at RTS games to get a lot of value out of the title. I'm looking forward to seeing them add onto this feature.

The game is

The game is gorgeous for an RTS even on fairly low settings, though it can be a little too muddy at times. The UI is chunky but well rendered and really informative (those unit cards at the top left make army control quite easy). Gameplay is excellent, if unforgiving (just like all of Relic's titles).

People, I think, are understating the effect that some simple changes will have on the game. Requisitioning destroyed vehicles and heavy guns is huge, and vaulting obstacles makes infantry a lot more mobile. Add in all of the ColdTech stuff (destroyable ice, units freezing in deep snow, and blizzards) and I think there's a lot here to keep people occupied.

The music and sound effects are just stellar.

I usually play on fairly low settings to make gameplay smoother and am not experiencing game-altering slowdowns, though mileage is sure to vary here. I'm totally hooked and look forward to years of stoming the Wermacht for the glory of the Rodina! :p
  24. Jul 12, 2013
    Good RTS games are so few and between nowadays. This is a true classic that does not reinvent itself in order to appease to a bigger crowd. Stays true to its origins and fans.
    Can't wait for the first expansion to hit the stores, that's when the game will take its full shape.
  25. Jul 3, 2013
    Company of Heroes2 is a worthy successor to the first game.

don't be foolled by the negative reviews (0/10) because "the Russians are evil" they are just not objective. if you are looking for intense multiplayer matches with destructible terrain, coversystem, flanking, true sight system, commander abilities and ways to customize your play style THIS is where its at. if you prefer to
    Company of Heroes2 is a worthy successor to the first game.

if you are looking for intense multiplayer matches with destructible terrain, coversystem, flanking, true sight system, commander abilities and ways to customize your play style THIS is where its at. if you prefer to decide the battles with few but good orders instead of "out-clicking" your opponent play company of heroes 2.

the only thing this game needs to get the (10/10) is a better singleplayer campaign, but since the "theater of war" mode is filling this gap over the next years, providing challenges and missions from german side this might very well happen over time.

coop missions and challenges exist, but only a few so far. (at release)

at the very least the singleplayer teaches you what you need to know to join the multiplayer fun.
    if you dont invest a little time to learn the basics about the countersystem prepare to lose a lot.
  26. Jun 26, 2013
    I have been playing Company of Heroes since 2005 when the COH alpha went live. I love RTS games. I also love the WWII setting. Relic has managed to make an incredible dynamic, fun, interesting game that really tells a different story every time you play. If you like a great looking game, that is fun and different to play give this game a shot! The Campaign is fun and tells a good story,I have been playing Company of Heroes since 2005 when the COH alpha went live. I love RTS games. I also love the WWII setting. Relic has managed to make an incredible dynamic, fun, interesting game that really tells a different story every time you play. If you like a great looking game, that is fun and different to play give this game a shot! The Campaign is fun and tells a good story, Theater of War features coop and fun scenarios and challenges for players. The multiplayer my personal favorite is a blast as well. This game is a great deal of fun and we can look forward to a long system of content and support from one of the best dev teams around! Expand
  27. Jun 25, 2013
    A solid entry in the CoH series if not that big of a leap forward.

A solid entry in the CoH series if not that big of a leap forward.

As a beta tester I can attest that many of the new mechanics that the game brings to the table take a while to understand, which is probably why there are so many negative early impressions. While the Germans play similarly to factions in CoH1, the Soviets have a very unique style that takes a while to master. Until you become familiar with their tactics, Germans will seem to have the upper hand.

Winter is a unique element that brings a lot of change with it. Do you rush an attack before the storm hits or do you bunker down and wait it out? Better yet, what if you prepare your troops for the storm with transports and fire and attack while your enemy is unaware? Knowing how to make use of storms is often the difference between victory and defeat.

Also, for anyone complaining about day one dlc; take a look at what it actually is first. Most of the offered items are cosmetic skins for your vehicles. Throughout the course of the game you unlock skins anyways and most of the paid ones are not going to look that unique. As for the commander DLC, they all appear to variations on commanders already in the game so even if you are missing them, it’s not going to impact the game much.
  28. Jun 25, 2013
    I got the original COH and played it a little bit, but not extensively, so I don't know COH very well. So going into COH 2, it's pretty much a new game to me.
    I have to say, it was difficult to get into at first, but now that I've figured out the mechanics, I really love this game. I don't have hours to play a single game, so Theater of War is perfect for me. Can get in, play a 30-40 min game, and get out.
    Excellent game, and I'm very happy with the purchase!
  29. Jun 25, 2013
    Great games overall. Even though it isn't as wowing as when the first company of heroes came out, it still got a huge improvement on graphics and it is a great game. The campaign is still as good as the first one, long and emotional.
  30. Jun 30, 2013
    I really enjoy this game. I played the first CoH and I think CoH2 is very similar just everything is more balanced and more enhanced. I like this RTS because i am not a crazy fast 120 clicks per minute type of person and I still have to time use all my abilities and strategy. It is really about reading your opponents styles and countering them with the men you have. This is my favorite RTS.
  31. Jul 7, 2013
    Only RTS game in this year that can shake this is Rome 2. But, I guess, Tom Chick Mr "professional" reviewer (aka Quarter to Three) will be there to spit yet another ultra-low score to yet another great game. 20 to Halo/Civ5, 60 to The Last of Us,... Being professional troll like this, but making amateur mistake of not making his Steam profile private, where you can easily see that heOnly RTS game in this year that can shake this is Rome 2. But, I guess, Tom Chick Mr "professional" reviewer (aka Quarter to Three) will be there to spit yet another ultra-low score to yet another great game. 20 to Halo/Civ5, 60 to The Last of Us,... Being professional troll like this, but making amateur mistake of not making his Steam profile private, where you can easily see that he hasnt a single minute of CoH2 played. But that doesnt bother him while he writes his review, it seems. And another low score of 40... Im used to see from a reviewer to take in consideration all game elements while scoring the game graphics, sound, gameplay, modes,... IS this game so broken half-product like Aliens Colonial Marines, or SimCity? Is it so bad like that miscreant Duke Nukem Forever? Dont bet on that. Its really ridiculous that some people still taking Metacritics for serious. When you see something like this from someone who has a privilege to write pro reviews what to expect from users... I saw some veteran members from CoH community writing their reviews. But for every one of them there are five trolls, with at least 2 accounts down-woting positive reviews, and submiting their zeros with nothing less than hilarious reasons. Its bad because it have campaign? Gameplay is a copy of Man of War!? Theres no annihilation mode!!? Did you tried to change victory conditions in options? Shame that Metacritics doesnt include IQ testing before someone can submit a review. Expand
  32. Jun 25, 2013
    Played 17 hours of multiplayer Beta and one mission of single player it is the most amazing and intense RTS I have played. This game requires you to think about what your building and makes you look after your units. I did play CoH 1 and the game adds to one of the best RTS's around it's not an evolution but more of a refinement of a great game making it better.
    The have improved on
    The have improved on the graphics by having destructible environments, dynamic weather effects where it reduces your sight when snowing and your troops can freeze to death if caught in the blizzards.
    Each map has a snowy counterpart when it snowes lakes freeze over but the ice can be blown up which you have to be mindful of if crossing over Superb game and I recommend to buy it especially if you like playing online.
  33. Jun 25, 2013
    Graphics aside, this isn't a huge leap forward for the series. A lot of the core gameplay that made CoH the gem it was remains in the sequel. I'm happy that the developers didn't try to reinvent the wheel. The campaign is decent so far, and the multiplayer skirmishes are still extremely fun within my circle of gaming friends. If you don't like the new winter mechanics then you can justGraphics aside, this isn't a huge leap forward for the series. A lot of the core gameplay that made CoH the gem it was remains in the sequel. I'm happy that the developers didn't try to reinvent the wheel. The campaign is decent so far, and the multiplayer skirmishes are still extremely fun within my circle of gaming friends. If you don't like the new winter mechanics then you can just play on the summer maps.

The only complaints I have are that the campaign does feel a little too easy, and there's not enough multiplayer maps right now. I expect more maps will be released within time, just as was the case with the original CoH.

Overall I'm happy I bought the game. I expect to get a lot of fun out of it.
  34. Jun 28, 2013
    Best RTS of 2013! The multiplayer is about strategy not massing troops. This game is about countering what the enemy brings to the fight. Its a constant battle back in forth, with the maps allowing many routes and paths to take to attack the enemy. Both factions are balanced, and allow for two different play styles.

I've played well over 200 games and completed the campaign. The

I've played well over 200 games and completed the campaign. The balancing is amazing and the campaign is enthralling with dark story.

The only downside is only 2 armies to play at the moment, but as expansion come out expect more armies to play as, and more units.
  35. Jul 6, 2013
    Story wise, CoH 2 captured the essence of WW2 battle between the Soviet and Germany. The battles were among the bloodiest, and there were moments where Soviet was just as bad as Germany, especially with Stalin's Order 227. Battle of Kursk, Leningrad and Stalingrad was mentioned and captured, not perfectly but enough for us just to imagine the nightmare on the Eastern Fronts. Furthermore inStory wise, CoH 2 captured the essence of WW2 battle between the Soviet and Germany. The battles were among the bloodiest, and there were moments where Soviet was just as bad as Germany, especially with Stalin's Order 227. Battle of Kursk, Leningrad and Stalingrad was mentioned and captured, not perfectly but enough for us just to imagine the nightmare on the Eastern Fronts. Furthermore in contrary to popular believes, the game doesn't trying to reflect Soviet as evil nations (despite there were some instances that strongly suggest one), but merely the desperation of the of war (using conscripts for example that includes every able men and women).

The campaign has a fun gameplay although the story part of the game feels a little bit weak, however, we all knew how the story goes in all games like these Allied forces won so there isn't much use trying to put extra gimmicks by further elaborating on the story that we all pretty much knew since primary school years. Therefore, for those seeking for story, RTS genres like this game won't have much on that department and thus, stop criticising it.

Putting that aside, another impressive feat was how much detail was given on the units, particularly the tanks. An accurate description for each unit was provided and this gives immersion to the game that is not really available for other RTS games. Although the AI might have a slight issue in path-finding, with a little micromanagement, the battles seem flawless.

In addition, controlling a couple of Tiger IVs and VIs smashing through enemies' defences feel satisfactory. Or ordering artillery barrage using leFH 18 to soften up defences before rolling in flemmenwerfer to capture enemy territories, only to be burnt alive by Scorched Earth and barrages from Katyusha rockets. Soviet's IS-2 and T-34 tanks lived up to their names as a few that can stand against German and their panzergrupp.

This game is not about steam-rolling. Armored division are great but without proper support from infantry, the AT (anti-tank) weapons will make a short work of the panzers, more so when entrenched behind enemy lines. Infantry also have variety between the two factions, Soviets have cheap but relatively weak infantry compared with the Germans, so different strategies are required when deploying large numbers of units. Also, Soviet's tanks are heavier and slower to fire compared to German's more agile tanks.

The 'Theatre of War' mode fills the battles that were not covered on the campaign (by year, the first is 1941) and will continue as DLC presumably for the following 4 years until 1945. Despite what others might have said about the price, those DLCs are small price to pay for the quality of details provided by Relic.

In short, the attention to details are what made this game worthwhile.

+Atmosphere of Eastern Fronts
    +Accurate details
    +Theatre of War

-Multiplayer issues (lags)
    -Some units might feel slightly underwhelming or overwhelming
    -Huge learning curve in micromanagement
  36. Jun 27, 2013
    I have read my fair share of reviews good and bad and played Hours on this game and the Closed and open beat. i love this game! (Yes I'm a die hard COH fan) but I have found several improvements in the game. Even though yes the graphics demand a lot they have been widely improved. The campaign so far I love...Only down side is idk how to obtain some of the unique weapons and vehicles inI have read my fair share of reviews good and bad and played Hours on this game and the Closed and open beat. i love this game! (Yes I'm a die hard COH fan) but I have found several improvements in the game. Even though yes the graphics demand a lot they have been widely improved. The campaign so far I love...Only down side is idk how to obtain some of the unique weapons and vehicles in it. Moving on I love the ability to hop over cover and capturing vehicles. Also this game has a lot of small details like on Snow maps how troops will stop moving for a second and warm up or how they react to on coming fire now. Now I do have a problem with how armor works and hopefully it is fixed. Its probably because I played a lot of the Blitzkrieg and EaW mods for COH (which are my favorites). But so far I love the game immensely! Also people seem to be complaining its a reapaet of COH 1 but that is still the highest rated strategy game of all time so why change a lot? They changes they made are great and I'm glad they kept a lot of the game the same because they were nice features. Also the leveling system is very nice and they pulled it off. Yes it has cons but they are out weighed by the Pros. But if your a big COH fan and love the game get it fast it amazingly fun. Expand
  37. Jun 27, 2013
    AWESOME!!!!! This game is so awesome!!!
    The multiplayer mode is very nice. The AI is very inteligent and every game is a challange.
    So if you want a realistic and a challanging game buy it you will not regret.
  38. Jul 2, 2013
    It was an amazing experience, my only grip is that the main campaign is to short, but it is great how the campaign evolve, in the first missions when you have to play defending all you can, you can experience the lack of resources an gear that the russian army actually have to suffer, then the war advance and the winter became the factor that let the russians reorganice a counter atackIt was an amazing experience, my only grip is that the main campaign is to short, but it is great how the campaign evolve, in the first missions when you have to play defending all you can, you can experience the lack of resources an gear that the russian army actually have to suffer, then the war advance and the winter became the factor that let the russians reorganice a counter atack and your equipment and gear improves acordingly, well i like it and and i recommend to anyone who whants a great challenge and a bit of history lessons (betwen loading screens) Expand
  39. Jun 26, 2013
    Most negative reviews state the lack of changes on the game, but every RTS has its own style I don't want another StarCraft, Total War, Warhammer, Civilization, etc. I want to play Company of heroes 2 the same I enjoyed years ago with better graphics and improved gameplay...
  40. Jul 24, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoy this game online. There may be a few balance issues... well rather some units being so good that other units become less relevant which causes some units to be overused by both factions while other units are neglected. But all in all the game is heading in a good direction since Relic said they'll take care of Strafe and OpelBlitz. Can't wait
  41. Jul 19, 2013
    Great game. I preordered it and i dont regret it at all. The campaing alone is worth the money and is far better than any of the coh 1 campaings. It has some very fun maps like that tiger tank hunting with limited resources etc.. Also blizzards makes online matches more dynamic and they chance the pace of the game. I just wish they would last longer.
  42. Jul 1, 2013
    Best game in the Year. Good Campaign is good, not to short, but the focus is in the MULTIPLAYER, MULTIPLAYER is awesome!!! The game in early stage now, but Relic works for more new maps, skins, commander, etc. I love it!
  43. Jun 25, 2013
    Company of Heroes 2 is a game that fans have been waiting for a long time for and this time, the Eastern Front is brought into light. As a person with a history degree and teaches this subject at least once a year, this game does a decent job at show casing the tactics and weapons uses by the Russians and Germans along this vast theater of war. Where the game shows polish is on theCompany of Heroes 2 is a game that fans have been waiting for a long time for and this time, the Eastern Front is brought into light. As a person with a history degree and teaches this subject at least once a year, this game does a decent job at show casing the tactics and weapons uses by the Russians and Germans along this vast theater of war. Where the game shows polish is on the graphical front. The first game pushed many gaming rigs of the time to the limits and to this day quite a few still can not deal with the amount of commands the computer needs to calculate. This is the case again as a new engine and higher requirements again push the limits of many computers. This is both a blessing and a curse when it comes to PC sales. I persoanlly know several people who I play the orginal CoH with that can not run this new release. To say this is a hinderance is by no means true, the game looks fantastic on the highest settings and the attention to detail is great.

The gameplay is very much the same when comparing this game to the orginal. Battles are focused around the capturing and maintainig three different resource points. Keeping these points connected allows for supplies to be added to your totals and allows players to build more units and eqiup units with better weapons and abilities. Protecting these points is of major importance since enemies can capture points, thus breaking your supply lines. Maps normally center around several choke points where the battles become tense and the outcome of the entire map could rely on the timely defensive poistioning of units or the desperate counter-attack at a dug in enemy. Armored vechiles and tanks change the entire scope of battle and can make or break an entire game. In all, the way someone plays the game is vastly different from someone else and the enviroments and changes in weather make maps different each time you play. The single-player although pretty easy for veterans of the game is a great way for people new to the series to understand the basics of the game at least from the Russians anyway. Not being able to play as the Americans or British like the last game on these maps is kind of disapointing as well as not having the Panzer Elite on the German side. This maybe addressed in the coming months by the mod community or by Relic themselves with a patch or DLC.

As for Histoical acurracy whcich some people have been railing aganist, could they have been more accurate yes, but whould it have hurt the gameplay and conistance of the experiance, most likely. For a more accurate RTS experiance there are other options out there, hell you can go and play games that you control the entire countries if you wish. If you want to play a fast paced, RTS that both looks and plays well, you can't do much better than this. For those looking to save some cash, you can get a copy of Company of Heroes from Steam and download the Eastern Front Mod for the game. The mod is pretty good, and is a great way to learn how to play CoH. Overall even with the DLC problems everyone is having with the game and the lack of factions, Company of Heroes 2 is still an excellent game, even with its flaws.
  44. Jun 27, 2013
    It isn't like the first COH, but it is still a good game in a different way. I liked the campaigns which is what I was waiting for at launch and they didn't let me down there which is what I was my favorite part of the game. I like skirmishes too, but most of the time I like do go solo and go through the story.

I really don't like the buildings in this one though. Not sure why they

I really don't like the buildings in this one though. Not sure why they wanted to go with a lesser version of buildings. Never the less, it is still fun to play.

I miss the stats too which would help you decide which vehicles were better than the others. Not sure why the dumbed that down!

I still give it a 9 though because the game is difficult enough to keep me interested. The campaigns were well thought out and I still haven't tried the rest of the maps and the Theatre of War yet either.
  45. Jun 27, 2013
    A great game, a proper RTS that doesn't insult your intelligence and retains all the elegance of the first title. The single player is strong, the atmosphere is great and the gameplay genuinely immersive. The only thing stopping me giving this game a 10 is that the full multiplayer functionality of the original has yet to be implemented (Relic say it will be) but having said that the MP isA great game, a proper RTS that doesn't insult your intelligence and retains all the elegance of the first title. The single player is strong, the atmosphere is great and the gameplay genuinely immersive. The only thing stopping me giving this game a 10 is that the full multiplayer functionality of the original has yet to be implemented (Relic say it will be) but having said that the MP is more stable than the original. Some of the negative reviews on here are even by people who haven't bought the game! All I can say is if you liked the first game you'll probably love this. If you didn't, and you like deep gameplay, tactics and WW2 then you'll probably love it too. Expand
  46. Jun 26, 2013
    Is it better than the original? NO
    Is it a great game? YES
    Is it a worthy sequel? JUST Having played the original for 7 long years I must say that it has to be the longest, continuously played game of my life. 2 succeeding PC builds always had it installed. I had my doubts with Relic but this one is A-OK. The gameplay is not as unpredictable and as positively protracted as the first
    Is it better than the original? NO
    Is it a great game? YES
    Is it a worthy sequel? JUST

Having played the original for 7 long years I must say that it has to be the longest, continuously played game of my life. 2 succeeding PC builds always had it installed. I had my doubts with Relic but this one is A-OK. The gameplay is not as unpredictable and as positively protracted as the first which takes away a little bit of excitement but you still get loads of fun, explosions and other good stuff in its place. Let's hope the patches improve the balance just a bit more as the high population count of units is an issue. I don't think all the negative reviews accurately portray this still good game so don't let the naysayers discourage you. If you want a very good RTS, this is definitely worth your time and money.
  47. Jun 27, 2013
    I absolutely love this game!! The original game was great. All those who comment about this as not being that different don't get it and are just cranky. If a game is built on a solid platform and is hailed as perfect, then drastically changing it makes no sense at all. It would have spoiled one of the best RTS game yet. As it is, Relic got it and knew to tweak a great thing, refining itI absolutely love this game!! The original game was great. All those who comment about this as not being that different don't get it and are just cranky. If a game is built on a solid platform and is hailed as perfect, then drastically changing it makes no sense at all. It would have spoiled one of the best RTS game yet. As it is, Relic got it and knew to tweak a great thing, refining it to make it even better!! Expand
  48. Jun 28, 2013
    Excellent game. With developers who will keep refining the game, new expansions arriving EVERY 90 DAYS and years worth of content ahead, Company of Heroes 2 is the perfect World War 2 RTS. I'm giving it a 10 for the fact that it is going to expand...
  49. Jun 27, 2013
    guys the game is new. coh 1 became a 10/10 because of the patches. just wait a bit and ballance will be sorted out. the core game is excellent the snow, true sight and dynamic destruction of the environment creates a really epic experience that i could play for hours.
  50. Jun 27, 2013
    A great game that can hook any RTS fan! Gameplay is well paced, and the overall gaming experience makes this game a definite 10/10. It is almost as though you were commanding the real war! ;P
  51. Jun 30, 2013
    It's a very good game The story is awesome the gameplay is very good It has some minor flaws but the characters are intresting. And if they focus more on the multiplayer the multiplayer might be very good
  52. Jul 1, 2013
    Great campaign............ Excellent gameplay......... amazing multi-player
    Company of heroes 2 has taken all of the good things from the first one and refined them to make even a better game
  53. Jun 29, 2013
    This game is fantastic. I found it totally enjoyable to play. I'm glad that Sega picked up where THQ left off. The new mechanics are fun and tactical however I can see where some people may dislike the fact it's similar to COH1 but the multilayer, campaign and all new Theater of War gamemode are fun and worthwhile. I recommend you buy this game as soon as possible!
  54. Jun 28, 2013
    I loved the original and I really like what they did with Company of Heroes 2. RTS fans should not miss this one because it involves a lot of strategy (setting traps, surviving blizzards and environmental effects I actually took out a tank by breaking the ice underneath it with a moltov grenade). This game is much more involved than an RTS like SC2 or C&C and I would have given it a 10I loved the original and I really like what they did with Company of Heroes 2. RTS fans should not miss this one because it involves a lot of strategy (setting traps, surviving blizzards and environmental effects I actually took out a tank by breaking the ice underneath it with a moltov grenade). This game is much more involved than an RTS like SC2 or C&C and I would have given it a 10 if it wasn't for the limited 'ways' to play multiplayer a small but legitimate weakness that can be fixed with future updates. Expand
  55. Aug 8, 2014
    company of heroes 2 is worse than company of heroes 1, but i think the game is not very bad. I give nine score cz many user give 0, the game should not have so many 0.
  56. Jul 1, 2014
    They patched it and brought it up to the quality of COH1. 8/10. The new expansion is the true successor to CoH1. Buy the Western Armies expansion and skip CoH2 if you have to.
  57. May 28, 2014
    Game is very similar to the Company of Heroes 1. If you are searching something completely innovative you won't find it. But if you want play in old good CoH you will have a lot of fun. At least I have :). Anyway you have GREAT balls to handle history topic in II WW. All of those who says "it's historical plot fake" please read books and check the truth. Specially stories about SeptemberGame is very similar to the Company of Heroes 1. If you are searching something completely innovative you won't find it. But if you want play in old good CoH you will have a lot of fun. At least I have :). Anyway you have GREAT balls to handle history topic in II WW. All of those who says "it's historical plot fake" please read books and check the truth. Specially stories about September '39 or Katyn massacre '40 or Soviet salvation at 44-45 (Warsaw uprising is also authentic story). Expand
  58. May 31, 2015
    The game is amazing. Great gameplay and graphics. Why does it get so much hate? Cause of the campain and the butthurt russians that think they were angels in ww2 and done so many good things but in reality they were blood thirsty maniacs.
  59. Jun 1, 2015
    Just so that you know for sure, 99% of negative reviews on this game here are from russians. If you want some adequate information about it, look elsewhere.
  60. Jun 8, 2015
    A very good game tells the true story of those years. F|_|CK russia and F|_|CK adolf putin.

Russia destroy the world. We must destroy russia to save the world.
  61. Feb 24, 2014
    Not as well balanced as the original with less interesting units, abilities and combos. As of me writing this, Relic is finally getting around to updating the matchmaking system (about 9 years late), so hopefully the changes are improvements.

Russia seems to have brought hell down on Relic. One point that I can sympathize over; its company of HEROES, where in the single player campaign you follow a traitor and cry baby Russian who was anything but a hero.

In multiplayer they have greatly reduced the importance of countering units with other units. It has been dulled down by simply bringing numbers and using range attacks. Hopefully this gets fixed in later patches and this game lives up to what we would expect as a continuation of Company of Heroes.
  62. Feb 20, 2014
    I am a long time gamer, played most RTS games that have come out in the past 30 years. I am a big fan of the original COH, and still play to this day. I was anxiously awaiting COH2, expecting big things. I will admit, at first I didn't care for it. After playing it for a few more hours, it grew on me and I started to notice the difference between the original and part 2. The first thing II am a long time gamer, played most RTS games that have come out in the past 30 years. I am a big fan of the original COH, and still play to this day. I was anxiously awaiting COH2, expecting big things. I will admit, at first I didn't care for it. After playing it for a few more hours, it grew on me and I started to notice the difference between the original and part 2. The first thing I noticed was the pop. cap. Its always at 100 and never goes down or up, no matter how many points on the map are held. The points held on the map only increase the speed at which you get points for building, not the population cap. That means its possible to make a come back even if the enemy holds most of the points. The Russian army has a unique approach to winning, its no longer about who can build the most tanks. Skill and decision making about which points to take and when will win the game. With the pop. cap at 100, you cannot cover all the points at the same time. There is a steady ebb and flow to the game play if the teams are evenly matched. Being able to replenish your forces on the map in a timely manner is the key because both sides take heavy losses the entire game. The line of sight mechanic seems to work well and flanking works better when the enemy can't see you all the time. It also makes ambushes possible. The weather effects in the game are a welcome addition and it increases the need to watch your infantry and how close they are to cover when a blizzard is about to hit. The fires that can be built do not last that long and they cost man power, and cannot be built by the average infantry. Although the infantry can build sandbag walls and they are very important in this game, since there is a lack of true base defenses. The infantry and vehicles last longer in fire fights, thereby giving you time to asses the situation and send reinforcements, or retreat and regroup. After playing both the Russian and German sides, the difference between the two armies is very noticeable and therefore will require different strategies to win. The Germans do have a small defensive structure, an MG nest that can be built anywhere on the map. Also, their vehicles seem to be a bit better than the Russians in the aspect of firepower, but the Russians can ram with tanks and their AT guns are not bad once they level up. The anti-tank weapons that are carried by both sides are woefully inefficient on any vehicle. Although, the anit-infantry weapons they carry are great and do lots of damage to infantry. You really need to babysit infantry in order to use the specials, they are not used without the player input. When playing skirmish, the A.I. is unrelenting, even on the easiest level. It seems to take a lot longer to kill their units, while theirs kills yours at a normal pace. Picking your General's powers is different and takes some getting used to, but its essentially the same as the original. The camera angles are fine, not too different from the original. I am not a big fan of paying for DLC, something that should have been in the game from the start. Also, there are not nearly enough maps that were released with this game. I did not build my computer to run games, but its no slouch either. I have a decent rig with a crappy video card, that I am going to immediately upgrade, and I am able to run COH2 pretty smoothly as long as all the settings are on the minimum. I have a Geforce 315, yes I know its terrible. But it does run the game pretty well. Overall, if you want to like this game, don't try to compare it to the original. It takes a well known formula and just makes things a bit different. Is there room for improvement? Sure! Will it happen in patches, hopefully! Also, I am sick and tired of listening to people saying "boo-hoo, its terrible how they portray the nations in this game, boo-hoo". This is just a game people, its meant to be played as a game, not a history lesson. If you want a history lesson, go to school. Expand
  63. Feb 16, 2014
    I think Company of Heroes 2 is a great improvement over its first title. In all the time I spent playing (114h) I've never found even a single bug, crash, or any issues mentioned by other users, so I feel like this game is suffering a big boycott at this website from people who think they know very well what Stalin's policies were about during the 2nd World War. I think the game it's wellI think Company of Heroes 2 is a great improvement over its first title. In all the time I spent playing (114h) I've never found even a single bug, crash, or any issues mentioned by other users, so I feel like this game is suffering a big boycott at this website from people who think they know very well what Stalin's policies were about during the 2nd World War. I think the game it's well developed historically speaking, taking into account that not only the Nazi faction committed atrocious crimes against humanity, and being clearly in favour of all the Russian soldiers who suffered the consequences of Stalin's war policies narrating them in the perspective of a soldier. While I don't think the storyline is anything great, it's definitely not biased.

The negative part of Company of Heroes 2 is that...: Would you like to have more commanders? Cash. Do you want more maps? Cash. Do you want more skins for your vehicles? Cash. Do you want anything we pretend to release since the first game's launch? Cash, cash, cash. I sincerely feel like I paid for the half part of a game which hasn't been finished and it's still under development.

In my opinion this is the best Real Time Strategy game at the moment. It's unique in its genre and it's clearly the one dominating in terms of quality. If you like fast paced real time strategy games, realism and the 2nd World War period, you should get it.
  64. Sep 13, 2013
    CoH 2 is a very difficult strategy game, that require skill to be played. But is a high level strategy game, very well balanced and rich of content. If you like RTS with hi level of challenge CoH2 is the best! [i'm talking about multiplayer, because I play only MP]
  65. Feb 13, 2014
    I believe this game is very great!, Mind the reviews saying: "national socialist propaganda!"
    Also, why some facts WERE true during the war, ( most notable one is Order 227 during Stalingrad )
    Relic didn't fail, the high ranking ones failed, not the testers, creators , modelers and other employees. You act like wild dogs, really. - Overall the game is really great! but i am sure

You act like wild dogs, really.

Overall the game is really great! but i am sure that they issued sandbags during war and the germans too.

They used a bit awkard character models ( very noticeable ) but overall the game is HARD when putted on general.

recommended, and one last thing, i pity the hate user called "RelicRuined" pfft
  66. Jun 28, 2014
    So much idiot russian complaining about this game beeing nazi. This game isn't nazi for **** sake. Soviets were the worst people at the time. Even nazi's were better than them. Now please, shut up and let us play the bloody game!!! Back to the game, this game is very good. They managed to fix **** of bugs, glitches and balance issues. The only thing I don't like, is the lack of germanSo much idiot russian complaining about this game beeing nazi. This game isn't nazi for **** sake. Soviets were the worst people at the time. Even nazi's were better than them. Now please, shut up and let us play the bloody game!!! Back to the game, this game is very good. They managed to fix **** of bugs, glitches and balance issues. The only thing I don't like, is the lack of german light and medium tanks such as Pz I, Pz II, Pz III and the tank destroyers such as Jagdpanzer 38t and Marder 2. Also, soviets need SU-100, T-26 instead of T-70. And maybe even the T-35! Expand
  67. Jul 6, 2014
    Face the true. You say that only Hitler could do such things. The fact is Stalin could do them as wel. I know its painful watching how it really was. I think You Russians prefer to watch Your comrades as angels from heaven bringing freedom and peace to Europe. In fact Stalin wanted to conquer Europe with his Communists and of course beat Hitler but it was less important. I must admit thatFace the true. You say that only Hitler could do such things. The fact is Stalin could do them as wel. I know its painful watching how it really was. I think You Russians prefer to watch Your comrades as angels from heaven bringing freedom and peace to Europe. In fact Stalin wanted to conquer Europe with his Communists and of course beat Hitler but it was less important. I must admit that many brave peoples devoted their lives to beat the enemy and free their mother Russia but You have to see all the facts Expand
  68. Apr 28, 2014
    I just bought this game on steam sale after the free weekend and can SAFELY say its not as bad as these user reviews. These user reviews are a bunch of crybaby commie russian internerds. Period. Theyll never complain about the anti-USA anti-reality pro-commy pro-stalin bias in warthunder where russian UFOs rule the game and events REGULARLY leave out US and UK contributions duringI just bought this game on steam sale after the free weekend and can SAFELY say its not as bad as these user reviews. These user reviews are a bunch of crybaby commie russian internerds. Period. Theyll never complain about the anti-USA anti-reality pro-commy pro-stalin bias in warthunder where russian UFOs rule the game and events REGULARLY leave out US and UK contributions during events.

Now that thats out of the way lets get to the real review.

This game could actually be better than COH1 based on the latest versions balance. The DLC orgy is a little disgusting but i disagree that its pay 2 win. Armored Jaeger doctrine is a damn good base. So is the russian one with "hit the dirt". I really think you can win competitively with these non-pay doctrines.

Also, I was going in to the free weekend thinking I would hate the snow/weather but its actually really cool. You can sink tanks in frozen lakes/rivers with artillery and it will refreeze over during blizzards.

Single player is a one time thing. I think its worth going through once. The best scenarios are like carentan from COH1 where you are facing long odds defending a village.

Unit voices from COH1 are untoppable, its a step down, but im not going to mark down for that.

Honestly, if you dont know what COH2 is about and are reading this, just watch a youtube on multiplayer. Its going to be 90% multiplayer with some comp-stomp to try out new strategies and microing.

I give it -1 for the DLC ugliness and -1 for minor issues like disconnects during games.
  69. Jan 9, 2014
    Great game. One of the few examples where developers were not afraid to show the truth. Keep it up! For those who say that the game is lying recommend to learn history. On the other hand, it is not surprising that many Russians considers it as lies. Unfortunately it is still normal to falsifying the history in Russia.
  70. Jan 14, 2014
    I really enjoyed the game in spite of the initial beta that was too different from his predecessor. The campaign could last a little 'more, even if the "theater of war" increases the total hours of play and really get many achievements. I do not agree with those who say that the story is bogus and should be censored, I think that a war is never good and right and history has shown someI really enjoyed the game in spite of the initial beta that was too different from his predecessor. The campaign could last a little 'more, even if the "theater of war" increases the total hours of play and really get many achievements. I do not agree with those who say that the story is bogus and should be censored, I think that a war is never good and right and history has shown some respects occurred. The protagonist and the Colonel are always Russian! Game mechanics improved over the first. Impeccable graphics and soundtracks, videos could be made better. I am very pleased for the game, shame about the many DLC for a fee. Expand
  71. Jan 16, 2014
    This is despite what a lot of people say a very good game.
    Yes it is a little different from the first one, which was good but not complete tough.
    But with the addition of true sight, weather and some more stuff i really think besides the setting that this is an improvement to the first game. The multiplayer part doesn't always work the way it should but its good enough for a lot of
    This is despite what a lot of people say a very good game.
    The multiplayer part doesn't always work the way it should but its good enough for a lot of fun!
    This toghether with the high demands for your computer and the pre-release DLC is the only bad part of
    the game.
    And it's a game so stop whining about russian discrimination!
    I could easily play this game for another 7 years if there are enough opponents online.
    Buy it when u enjoy a good strategy game!
  72. May 20, 2014
    This game isn't Nazi or west propaganda,is to be played on line,both factions are balanced,right now im enjoying play with Russians,is my everyday game,I must play at least one battle a day,Its the most addictive game in the market.
  73. Jun 5, 2014
    Very good game, shows true side of soviets and their brutality in singleplayer campaign, very good improvements over first game, they released tons of patches and optimized all graphics, most of negative user reviews are out of date.
  74. Apr 13, 2014
    Please ignore the reviews below 7. This game has been attacked by Russians who can`t tell what is true about WWII in any case.

I just picked this game few days ago and man, it is so good! A wonderful RTS set in horrible days of World War II. In singleplayer campaign that takes about 12 hours, you get to play the Soviets (Russians).Everything here is realistic. Very bad Red Army made

In singleplayer campaign that takes about 12 hours, you get to play the Soviets (Russians).Everything here is realistic. Very bad Red Army made of amateurs, not able to command anything, with inferior commanders, coward soldiers and poor machinery. They even shot a lot of their own people for no reason. This is all recreated in the game, the player depends mostly on Soviet cannonfodder in the first missions with it getting a little better with poor T34 tanks for example.

There are some problems with the game.
    1. In sp you can`t play as the Germans.
    2. It needs a very strong pc to run good (but when you do the graphics are very nice).
    3. AI can be very stupid at times.

Nonetheless this game provides very realistic battles in a realistic enough setting so it is very satisfying, even when you play as Stalin lover.

Wonderful, beautiful game 10/10.
  75. Nov 27, 2013
    Great game.

One of my favorite multiplayer games ever.

+ graphics
    + gameplay
    + multiplayer
    + countless hours of fun

- pay to win with better commanders
    - not much changed from the original
  76. Sep 3, 2013
    This a good strategy game. It is a little disappointing in comparison to the original but I felt compelled to join this site in reaction to the negativity.

To all of the people who are overreacting, humans are very complex creatures. Many armies that were cut off from supplies resorted to cannibalism. They also had to make sacrifices. People also are self preserving especially people who are not violent and do n not want to be in a war. Having said this, I think that the Russian people are a people with an amazing history and culture. They have been the ones to push back against massive threats to the stability of Europe and the world. They beat Napoleon, Hitler and many other blood thirsty people. I have nothing but respect for the Russian people; but sacrifice is a part of war and you should not look at the things that were done for victory as negative things. Rather you should understand that alot of bad things have been done to preserve a people. Death is sometimes the answer to save your country. I know it sucks but nobody likes to think that their own people did what they had to, to survive. I hope that many of you realize some day that the developers were just trying to show that the Russian leaders were not afraid to do what it takes to survive and I think that many people would benefit from understanding that you can't always do things the right way and you can't save everybody.
  77. Mar 1, 2014
    I love this game really much! Its been a lot of trouble on the way but I really love to see all the updates coming up all the time to fix it and even more that you are upgrading the game at the same time from the opinion we, the fans got about the game. What more can I say, you listen, fix it and deliver a wonderful experience.
  78. Aug 29, 2013
    The studio (Relic) which set the standard for RTS games back in 2006 with the release of company of heroes have managed to maintain the quality of the previous games once again.

COH2 is set on the eastern front of WW2 from the point of view of a Soviet soldier. The story takes you from the initial invasion of Russia by the Germans to their final bastion in Berlin. During the campaign you will engage in small scale operations, tank hunting, sniper duty, scorched earth and to large scale tank battles.

It is cold, so very cold and subsequently blizzards happen which slow down the action and require you to seek warmth for your troops, surprisingly this feature works well, It gives the game a new dynamic which plays into your strategy of being a Soviet commander.

The visual quality as you would expect, fantastic. The physics once again bring you huge smile to your face when houses explode into pieces, walls get crushed, the ice cracks open, the world reacts how it should.

The unit audio is another element which sets the COH series apart other RTS games. Vehicles sound heavy and menacing, hearing a Tiger tanks engines roar somewhere from the battlefield sends a little tingle of fear down your spine and the scream of the Katyushas makes every German commander get a ping of anxiety.

Soldiers audio reactions to situations is unique to COH and brings them to life, you actually care if they die.

The multiplayer is also brilliant and well worth the money alone, with unlocks and a steady stream of improvements and content being released from Relic it has only got better and Relic are committed to adding more content and improvements.

I cannot stress how good this game is. Even if you do not have an interest in WW2 you will love the gameplay, crave the destruction, and desire the victories.

Do not miss out playing one of the best RTS games in the mostly highly rated series in history.
  79. Dec 3, 2014
    I don't know why people gave this game such a bad review. I almost didn't buy the game because of the low scores but now that I've got it and played for hours on end non stop, I'm not gonna listen to user complaining anymore. I think I'm gonna go for the expansions now as well.
    I gave this game a 9 because the cut scenes are a tad cheezy. Game play however is engrossing and addictive. Love the sound effects and graphics are not bad. I think I got my moneys worth for the hours of future game play.
    As far as history is concerned? Yes the Soviet Red Army was strict and disciplined. Over 1000 have been shot for being cowards. Even the British court martial ed and executed deserters so people need to brush up on their history.
    I just had to create a Metacritic account just to give this game some props .
  80. May 13, 2014
    Great game! Good graphics and sound. I never played COH1 so I can't compare to it, but I find COH2 to be well worth the $30 I paid on Steam for the base game and expansions.

If you like COH2 give Men Of War Assault Squad 2 a try also, another great game!
  81. Jun 25, 2014
    Ok first I'll start by saying this game had a rough start, but just in the last 3-4 months is has become a lot better, they have actual servers for the automatch so no longer do you need to worry about lag, even the optimization is better now when I first played this game i was getting a lot of stutters and input lag in multiplayer but no longer its all fixed now.

now just recently they

now just recently they have released the western front armies which i believe has brought this game back to life, it comes with two new armies the Oberkommando and usa which is only $20 and well worth it also on top of that it also gives custom game lobbies which is something people have been asking for since the game first got released and now they also have a thing called war spoils which when you finish a match there is a chance that you will get an item such as a commander or skin even faceplate oh and victory strikes.

Now for veteran players they have added three prestige levels so pretty much i believe this game now deserves a 10/10
  82. Sep 21, 2014
    This game has been flooded (not without reason) with I think a disproportionate amount of negative reviews. While the campaign's plot is extremely...questionable at best, if you can look past the "Enemy at the Gates" or Hollywood "The Soviets are monsters" portrayal of the Soviets you'll find a game that mirrors many of the attributes that CoH fans came to love from the original game,This game has been flooded (not without reason) with I think a disproportionate amount of negative reviews. While the campaign's plot is extremely...questionable at best, if you can look past the "Enemy at the Gates" or Hollywood "The Soviets are monsters" portrayal of the Soviets you'll find a game that mirrors many of the attributes that CoH fans came to love from the original game, while branching out to try and add new elements to the game to keep it interesting.

Graphically the game is impressive, and the sound effects are excellent just as they were back in CoH I, from the snow effects to watching/hearing a T34 or Panther brew up in a fiery explosion CoH II's graphics and soundtrack captures the tiny details that fans learned to marvel at in the original title.

Gameplay: A lot has changed since CoH I, but at its core, CoH II is still very much like its older brother. The elephant in the room regarding this particular game is the single player portion. Unfortunately, the protrayal of the Soviet Union is one that appears to be ripped right out of a Hollywood script, where the Soviets officer corps is portrayed as unfeeling monsters, willing to send hundreds of thousands to their deaths, mercilessly cutting down waves of retreating conscripts. While this has been said to have happened during the way, it appears to have been overplayed and over focused within the campaign. This of course drew the ire of many. Buyers be warned, if you are looking for a compelling single player experience, you sadly will not really find it here.

However, where CoH I really shined its brightest (IMHO) was in its multi-player, this is where CoH II draws its strength from and is what you'll likely want to buy the game for. Initial balance issues aside, games can be fast paced and frantic. The recent introduction of the American faction as well as OberKommando's really helps to add some flavor to the multiplayer game play.

While CoH II has its issues, to include (at first) a clunky interface, it is still a great game (Questionable/forgettable Campaign scripting aside)

Buy the game if you are a fan of the first, buy it if you want to have one of the best WWII RTS gaming experiences out there on the market, buy it if you want a fast paced, action packed, strategic demanding multiplayer experience.

Does the game deserve 4.6k+ negative reviews? Likely not. Is it understandable why people were upset? Absolutely, but do not be fooled by the 1.9 Metacritic score. Try it for yourself, and if you can remain open minded about the SP, you'll certainly find a diamond in the rough with CoH II IMHO.
  83. Jan 10, 2014
    i both loved and hated this game, loved the accurate portrayal of WW2 russia (no one else has the balls to do so, just look at all the butthurt russians downvoting it) but i hated the pay to win system. still, campaign was very enjoyable and multiplayer is amazing
  84. Jun 4, 2014
    I love this game,
    I love this game,
    Company of Heroes was the best RTS for me and CoH2 is even better. Great Atmosphere, great graphic and gameplay. Some Units aren't historical in their strength but that would kill the Balance. The Game runs very stable and without any lag. A German campaign would be great. I think the bad Reviews are from Russian Players who can't accept that the soviets were even bad or worse than the Nazis. So if you liked CoH1, you will love CoH2.
  85. Jun 16, 2014
    Seeing the reviews from what I suspect are Russian players they can't handle the facts of history. further on its a good game not standalone worthy it's more like an expansion with some graphical updates and some extra 's . as a big fan of the series since day 1 and with a lot of hours in the game i'd recommend it.
    of course the game has some flaws and maybe it's not perfect , but which game is ?
  86. Jun 17, 2014
    It started bad, really bad. But it got better. Nice matchmaking, extremely well balanced and a definetely upgrade since the original CoH. Still, some features were better before, but this is definetely better.

An outstanding RTS worth money. Can't wait for the expansion that, based on the alpha, it will be even greater.
  87. Jul 11, 2014
    U bidla iz rashki goryat pukani pri vide vsego der'ma, kotorim polnitsya ih ebannaya strana eshe so stalinskih vremyon, No huli bagetit esli vi bidlo i sego ne zamechaete? Igra ge pizdata.
  88. Mar 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went through the game. Transfer historical story very much. if you delve into the story (not useless textbooks) in the game you can find a lot of good moments passed. Unfortunately in Russia the game put negative assessments aggressive students who then do not teach history, and not in the know about the events narrated in this game. developers fellows. Do not pay attention to children without literate Expand
  89. May 23, 2015
    A great game, the low score is because a lot of over proud Russians got butt hurt because their County does not appears as a Saint Nation, just a communist nation in war leaded by a crazy dictator!

Nothing new as it has been showed many times in movies too!
  90. Sep 11, 2013
    I don't get rating game 0 for storyline. OK, it is cheesy, but if you take that out and look at multiplayer, I'm having loads of fun. Pretty well balanced gameplay.
  91. Sep 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good game, with stunning graphics! Harsh company, but I do not find in it that what could not be, I know the history, and I know that all of the events in the game really could have a place to be in real life! But despite the company I was more attracted to the game theater of war, for the sake of it and I bought the game, and very happy with it! Theater of war 10/10! Best-of-a-kind game!
    Director pats you on the head? No! It's always been! And it always will be!
    Sorry my bad speak english.
  92. Sep 12, 2014
    -FACTS:
    Company Of Heroes is also really moddable. units can be added ( animating too), and there are many succesfull modifications and bonus single player Campaign Generator multiplayer mods .
    - HOW I FEEL : Wow! i likE the gameplay , whatever 1000 russian provocators cry about stOry, -skip the story - the GAMEPLAY is NICE ! strong Emotion can be sensed from situataions, and i get
    -FACTS:
    - HOW I FEEL :
    the GAMEPLAY is NICE ! strong Emotion can be sensed from situataions, and i get excited from what cool things i see as i move to next area in game. Production quality shows, im happy this game was made!
    ___ ( bytheway:
    (sad that also Metacritic CoH2 page has been targeted by russian Bureau of Propaganda :(
  93. Jan 3, 2014
    Okay, this game is fantastic and all the negative reviews on here are part of the protest by Russian gamers in response to the portrayal of the USSR in the course of World War 2 during the campaign. What else can I say? The story is great and honestly I didn't find the portrayal of soviets in a negative way at all. I found the regret of the higher command very honorable and for IsakovichOkay, this game is fantastic and all the negative reviews on here are part of the protest by Russian gamers in response to the portrayal of the USSR in the course of World War 2 during the campaign. What else can I say? The story is great and honestly I didn't find the portrayal of soviets in a negative way at all. I found the regret of the higher command very honorable and for Isakovich to regret his use of his men after the war is to me very honorable.

94. Oct 22, 2013
    To everyone complaining that its not CoH1: you got it right, this is not CoH1. I am big CoH1 fan, but still, the game is amazing!
    However:
    The voices are terrible (-1).
    High price (-1)

Beware of fake reviews. After reading some of the reviews, most of the poorly rated ones are blatantly bogus.
  95. Jan 19, 2014
    As a CoH veteran I enjoy playing Company of Heroes 2. Even tho it isn't really optimised and the graphics havent changed much compared to the first sequel I still get a solid 50 fps at medium with a 3y old average pc.

The campain is simple, but good. Nothing that did bind me on the monitor due to high level of entertainment gameplay whise. However I as a history student & nerd loved the accuracy the campain shows regarding soviet-german actions during the war. Finally someone who's got the balls to use valid sources instead of a soviet school book.

Mechanics are still great, the f2p-like model doesnt really bother me & the new snow mechanic is a nice add on, thought I prefer summer maps.
  96. May 14, 2014
    This game is easily the best WWII / RTS out there. I have played more than 100 hours online and still I'm not bored at all. The graphics, the online gameplay, unit movement, skills, gameplay variety, different commanders, ...

However I think how they made eastern European look in the campaign (and even unit descriptions) was a very bad marketing move, thus I think the reactons of these people is absolutely justified.

Game: 9/10
    Marketing: 0/10
  97. Sep 12, 2013
    I just felt that this game deserves an HONEST rating. Everyone here is complaining about the portrayal of Russians during the war, saying that Relic is too insensitive or heartless. They way Relic portrayed the Russians is just simply, the truth. They wanted to make a more realistic story for their game, and I like them more for doing so. They are completely ignoring the gameplay and otherI just felt that this game deserves an HONEST rating. Everyone here is complaining about the portrayal of Russians during the war, saying that Relic is too insensitive or heartless. They way Relic portrayed the Russians is just simply, the truth. They wanted to make a more realistic story for their game, and I like them more for doing so. They are completely ignoring the gameplay and other components that make this game great. Expand
  98. Sep 18, 2013
    This game is great; good game play, interesting mechanics, and overall a lot of fun. As for those who say this game company supports Nazis, they are absolutely wrong. Relic attempts to show both Russians and Germans as soldiers fighting a war, leaving the politics out of it. It's an attempt at creating an experience of what the war was like for the respective sides, not making a politicalThis game is great; good game play, interesting mechanics, and overall a lot of fun. As for those who say this game company supports Nazis, they are absolutely wrong. Relic attempts to show both Russians and Germans as soldiers fighting a war, leaving the politics out of it. It's an attempt at creating an experience of what the war was like for the respective sides, not making a political point. It's about showing the human side of soldiers caught up in a brutal war. As was the case during the war, many German soldiers were not hard line Nazis, but were simply soldiers fighting a war. That's hat Relic portrays. As for all these Russian sympathizers trying to play off the brutal communist regime of Russia as a bunch of heroes, tell that to the millions of Kulaks Stalin murdered. Russia made Nazi Germany look like a walk in the park, and killed millions more in its numerous purges than the Nazis ever did. Expand
  99. Sep 17, 2013
    don't listen to haters

they are russian trolls or maybe even worse, they believe in what they say

they are delusional about their country's awful history, i would be ashamed also if i were russian, but this isn't a reason to writing untrue reviews

this game is very good and the history representation is very accurate
  100. May 7, 2014
    This is one of the best games I've played. The battles are epic, I play online all the time. I've never played the campaign yet, but I've put almost 300 hours into online and it's so amazing! The only game I play as much as this is Dota, Civilization V, and StarCraft II.
  101. Jun 28, 2013