• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Jun 25, 2013
1.9

Overwhelming dislike- based on 5823 Ratings

1. Sep 7, 2014
    [RUS] Эта игра х*йня. И вы спросите , а чем тебе не понравилось а? А то ,что SEGA Историю России за 9 класс точно не учила. Там нет ничего связанного с годам Великой Отечественной войны. Прежде чем делать историческую игру , хоть выучите историю. В Call of Duty 1 и 2 частях , пересказывались события Великой Отечественной войны, но они хоть немного постарались. А вы чего сделали, мусор какой то.
    [ENG]This game is f*ck. And you ask , what didn't you like? And the fact that SEGA the History of Russia for the 9th grade just not taught. There's nothing related to the great Patriotic war. Before doing historical game , at least learn the history. Call of Duty 1 and 2 parts , retold the events of the great Patriotic war, but they tried. And what you did waste some
  2. Jul 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Expand
  3. Jul 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I never write reviews, but this game is a major downgrade from the original. All the games I've played are the same. Mortar galore! I understand that you are trying to make it realistic, but this is a video game. No fun at all. Just build mortars, artillery, and role in the tanks at the end. Same slow, boring game.

The original was much better. Very disappointed. Free games are better.
  4. Jul 12, 2014
    This game is a DO NOT BUY. Shallow content. CoH1 was far superior. Few maps, few units. Its as if they took our beloved original and consolized it. Performs poorly, maps are very uninspired and boring. Like city maps, sorry. This is a cash grab game and people that really know the first one will be sickened by this attempt.

I knew it was beyond suspect playing through the beta and not
    enjoying it. They simply took the old game and swiss cheesed it, removed sweet features and content. The only positive thing I can mention is the variable weather but even that leaves a bit to be desired. Its more like snow blizzards that come in cycles.

Beware of fake reviews. After reading most of the reviews, most of the highly rated ones are blatantly bogus.
  5. Jul 7, 2014
    This game has a good gameplay, but a plot is awful. It's filled mostly with hate to Soviet soldiers and their feats. I think that this fact describes developers as the haters of Russian history. Shame on you, developers. I won't buy your games in the future.
  6. Jul 2, 2014
    Russophobia in all its glory. Of total distortion of historical facts, it feels like a very long time developers beaten on the head, and then given to read Goebbels's propaganda.
  7. Jun 15, 2014
    Developers turn out situation like Russians are worse than Nazis. I know, that it's just a game, but that game play people who know nothing about the WWII in Soviet Union and they think, that this **** is truthful. I have a feeling, that they didn't even read anything about WWII. Go watch some documentary films and read historical books.
  8. Jun 14, 2014
    The creators of the game seem to hate Russians. i could not stand the story mode. so pandering, it's just a rehashed enemy at the gates. The creators should really be ashamed.
  9. May 30, 2014
    I don't know what you're all thinking but to me, this sequel is essentially a copy-and-paste work of the first title. Still the same mechanics, except that they somehow managed to turn this game into an insult to the Company of Heroes name. One thing I've seen improved is the graphics and even so, it still doesn't look DECENT to nowadays standard. And it gets even worse, the game is badly optimized, it really put my gaming rig to a halt at some scenes. The cutscenes make me feel like I'm watching a 2000s game's cutscene and there's even better made cutscenes out there. I played this game just once, tried a few other modes but then I just uninstalled it with no regret. There're so many things to point out and "yell" at here but then that would be too much for me. Seriously, next time if you developers intend to make another COH game, don't screw it up like this one. The Great Patriotic War is a really rich area and you, in all of your wisdom, blew it. Total disappointment. Expand
  10. May 20, 2014
    Сan not be delivered -10 : (
    Lies, lies, lies. Distortion of history. Manufacturers goats. This game must be removed from sale.
    DON'T BUY IT! This is ****
  11. May 14, 2014
    Im Russian,the story not the reality,wrote the story culminated people,who do not understand the history.This game affront to me. Autors don't know anything about the eastern front.
  12. May 4, 2014
    Waited this game because I liked playing "Company of Heroes" and "Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor".

In this game I was able to play only first 2 levels because I saw only anti-soviet propaganda.

I'm russian and I can't play game where soviet soldiers are shown only as "cannon fodder".
  13. Apr 26, 2014
    This is false, anti-Soviet, anti-Russian game that has nothing to do with the real history! It offends the memory of the entire Soviet people (at the moment all the people living in the former Soviet Union), who sacrificed their lives and fought for their motherland, their country, their people, their relatives.
  14. Apr 25, 2014
    The first Company of Heroes was greatest WWII strategy, but Company of Heroes 2 is worst game of Relic.This game has no historical evidence. This is nazi game for nazis.
  15. Apr 19, 2014
    As much as the Russian front needs to be brought to the game series and decent graphics (seriously it could have been better), it is plagued by serious technical issues that are on the developers end and not user end. Even with systems that far exceed the requirements like mine (4770k, HD 7970 OC). Patches that come out that has not been tested, patches to fix patches and constant annoying and frustrating crashes to desktop during mid-game. Yes 75% of the time the game crashes mid combat for no reason at all. On top of that a clustered UI. Looks like a kid designed it. Disappointment in the series. Might as well keep playing CoH 1 :P Expand
  16. Apr 14, 2014
    So here it goes. When I've tried COH i liked it straight away, i have played it everything was great, and every game was diferent, and you could play diferently and uses diferrent tactis, and your oponent would adjust to that, and you would play more because it was enertaining, heart pounding action. While enjoying the sound, video effects, vehicle movements, etc. It was great. Now then again me and probably everyone else was thinking it would be great to play as soviets, and as we found out about COH2 it was a really great news. Now when comparing both games you don't need to be a pro in games, all you need to is to play both games, and then you see how bad COH 2 is. It is just bad game, thats all.

First thing when i installed it on my laptop, I was surprised that it was lagging on lowest settings, (even though i can play original COH on medium-high settings) and it looked disgusting.

Second - interface, who created it I do not know, but i know that the team responsible for it probably never even played RTS before, or are completely incompetent when it comes to design, very very amateur work. so much unecessary stuff is cramped on your screen. Cursor animations are horrible, it would suit for 2000s game or so, but not COH, come on.

Comand trees are gone, you have only one choice between three commanders, and then 5 of their abilities (and they do have similar abilities between them, and at least one is completely passive).

Every game feels the same, you have to be completely aggressive all the time.

Anyways most of the things have been explained by other people. Conclusion, I am not recommending this game. It very average game - kind of like a cheap remake, when a crappy company would copy a great and succesful product. Thats what COH2 is to COH. Do not bother buying it, enjoy COH, like I am. Peace
  17. Apr 13, 2014
    Creators is a **** addicts!!!! The game is a ugly ****
    **** fascists
    brainless
    idiocy
    distortion of historical reality
    developers are sick in the head people
  18. Mar 29, 2014
    This is not a strategy game, it's been totally dumbed down to the point it should be called an arcade game. The majority of it runs on rails, it's predecessor did also, but it did it better and made you feel like it was more"open" gameplay. This game was a waste of money, speaking of which nice to see SEGA turn it into constant revenue stream via steam add-ons. What the hell happened?
  19. Mar 12, 2014
    I cannot rate it as RTS itself since I haven't played RTS much, but this game is absolutely **** from the history point of view. Create you own universe like WH-40k and write the scenario you want. Don't try to make a game or movie related to a REAL theme about which you don't know anything.
    If Soviets have done what shown in the game they would loose that war. The creators are idiots.
  20. Feb 25, 2014
    It's a piece of ****! Zero. It's a sneer of history. If you want to safe remains of your mind, never play this disgusting canadian product. Programs of this nothingness will go straightly to hell))
  21. Feb 19, 2014
    This game is historical **** People of the nation that destroyed red race in North America, two hydrogen bombs dropped on two densely populated city, and blew two skyscraper with live people inside, say Red Army Russian world evil.
  22. Feb 19, 2014
    In short : Not worth playing. Won't trust the Metacritic? Just check the Steam reviews, you can see some reviewers have invested 300+ hours to the game and still, they give negative reviews. The only good thing is the true sight mechanic. But then, it's not a really a strong leap in gaming. Warland EE and Warland Airland is a better game with realism in mind. The others? Bad.
    Pathfinding sucks. This alone should stop you to buy this game.
    Not to mention having to purchase tons of DLC to play a "commander". Some games still have the decency to not sell important things in DLC, but Relic thought that it would be great to sell out important things. Some game decently only sells skins or things to display, but Relic choose to be hated by selling out important things.

Congratulations to Relic for killing Company of Heroes.
  23. Feb 18, 2014
    Relic READ HE BOOK, NO at least read the Wikiipedia. You are dishonored the millions of the soviet soldiers and officers, you are dishoneored my grandfather. Curse you
  24. Feb 15, 2014
    All the debate about "historical accuracy" is largely irrelevant as it is a GAME based on historical events -- it is not and it does not purport to be an actual historical document. Some people simply cannot move on from that fact.

More importantly, the game itself simply sucks. Surely my personal greatest disappointment of 2013 (with Rome II a close second, thanks SEGA for both!), a
    degeneration from CoH1. And the argument that "Coh1 wasn't perfect on release either!!!", it certainty wasn't but it had a fundamentally good design core that is lacking in this release.

There are those that say "ride it out and in a few years time they will have patched it into a great (aka finally playable) state". Guess people should ride out their crappy marriages year after year in the hope that finally they'll get their act together and live happily ever fairy tale after also.

Because if you believe it hard enough, then surely it MUST come true, right?
  25. Feb 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Blitzkrieg was way way better. This is just a garbage game that was created by Nazi's. Horrid graphics and optimization. I was so excited for this game, only to have it turn out to be garbage. I'm glad I never bought it. Expand
  26. Feb 4, 2014
    I do not understand why the international community allows such "creations" in general to be born and exist. Why did not anyone close to hell their office that makes such gaming industry abortions? Deliberate distortion of historical facts, the propaganda of fascism, blackening the image of Russian soldiers and Russia as a whole, and it is not a complete list. I am just interested to look into the eyes of the people who created it. Where was their conscience and morality? Expand
  27. Jan 29, 2014
    Historically very inaccurate. One could believe the campaign scenarios where written by a Nazi propaganda officer.
    I do admit though that the game stays very fun to play.
  28. Jan 26, 2014
    Couldn't stomach the propaganda.

The campaign was too much to bear, it's as if the script for this game was written jointly by Winston Churchill and Joseph McCarthy.

I was really looking forward to this game, it proclaimed to show where the majority of WWII was fought: on the Eastern Front. Had it told it from a Russian and/or anti-imperial prospective (AKA "fact based"), it would
    have been a riveting game. You would have learned how the USSR saved civilization from a New Dark Age by defeating the Nazi's at Stalingrad; how aspects of the Imperial UK sought to foment fascism by financing Hitler (read "Facts and Fascism" and "The Anglo-American Establishment"); how the UK elites got the war going and how they did everything they could to delay the US from opening a second (Western) front; how the Soviets supported the legitimate republican government of Spain against Franco; and much more. Real history is, in fact, incredibly interesting, but you'll never learn those things from this game--because here in the West, spineless wretches rule supreme, and nobody has the gall to stand up for historical truth.

We see, this game being one of countless examples, that Imperialism is everywhere. It is in everything you read, everything you see, everything you consume. Everywhere the fear exists of being ostracized for going against the "Establishment". If the game-designers at Relic thought that this era of history was worthwhile in observing, as it secured Liberty and Freedom for future generations (as it did) then what a disgrace that these spineless eunuchs would then abstain from exercising their rights to speech so willingly.

Do yourself a favor and don't buy this game. The same level of mental and intellectual degeneration that made this game into a shameless piece of imperial apologetic propaganda also made the game-play infinitely inferior to the original.

It's almost as if you can see the decline of the West mirrored in the intellectual produce it creates.
  29. Jan 21, 2014
    You would have more fun if you slathered yourself in goat fat and walked into the middle of a hungry pack of wolves and kicked the pack leader right in the nads, I'm not joking! I was so looking forward to this game after the love affair I had with COH 1 and this game is the biggest let down I have had the opportunity to experience! It's not that the game is beautiful, or the new skills and skill tree that you could use; or even the new units, I must say they all look great. It's the fact that this game is more buggy than road kill thats been on the road for a week in the middle of July! The game never runs longer than 5 minutes without a spectacular cosmic death crash that once crashed it will force you to upload the update again, never mind that you uploaded the update 5 billion times before on the previous crashes; which BTW takes around 30-45 minutes while you sit and wait for it to complete while it completey wastes your time. The best that SEGA can offer is "reinstall the game", or "reinstall your video drivers again and again like some demented parrot that has nothing better to say, hope that if it repeats itself so many times that you will either give up or you will believe that finally this time it might just work. Save your money and go purchase another game that you will have more fun with, or go to the movies; hell pay someone to beat the crap out of you, you will have more fun than sitting and trying to get this game to limp along and function as a normal game should. You have been warned! Expand
  30. Jan 21, 2014
    DLC's: the downfall of this boring ass game; single player story: childlike, rushed, predictable at best; TOW: same as skirmish battles but with limited features; Multiplayer: Laggy, usually up to the first tank rush
  31. Jan 21, 2014
    I'll give Company of Heroes a 4/10 because it's not the worst game ever made, I can think of other games that are more deserving of a 0-1/10 - looking at you Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. However, I (like many other gamers) feel that Company of Heroes 2 just doesn't live up to the expectations of its predecessor.

What has happened to the sophisticated commander tree? It has been
    replaced by a new commander system with no choice, except you can choose 5 different commander 'perks' before a match, then when you get commander points it'll unlock perks automatically (as each perk has a commander point requirement that, once reached, the perk will instantly become available). Okay, but at least CoH 2 has interesting concept art briefs between each mission right? Wrong. Those concept art briefs - which I, personally, loved and associated with the CoH titles - have been replaced by 30 second longish cut scenes between a lieutenant (who you never see or hear from in the missions) that is going to be executed for desertion and his old commander talking about the war - CoH 2 has replaced exciting and interesting character development and artistic cut scenes for a character you'll never see in-game and mediocre between mission cut scenes. There's almost no continuity between missions, in the original CoH you'd get a patriotic and informative brief (so you know what's going on in the grand scale of things), but in CoH 2 it's a case of; a minute cut scene that says "the Germans attacked Russia" and "they get really close to Moscow", from there on it's a case of go there, kill them, we won, fight them - then the level design and gameplay follows this pattern, so what may seem interesting and innovative to start becomes dull and representative in later missions. Yet another CoH 2 mistake is the lack of units, you'll have 2 units that you'll ever really use, your conscripts (infantry) and the T34s (tanks), that's it, you do have snipers (that for some reason only use stealth while they're in cover) and mortar teams etc but what's the point when they'll just get flooded by infantry and tanks? If you want to fight for the Germans, you better go somewhere else, because the singleplayer campaign is all Soviet - you can play as the Germans in multiplayer. Well, you can also play as the Germans in a new feature called 'Theater of War' which, basically, mini-campaigns with about 2 singleplayer missions and tonnes of co-op missions (which is a welcome feature) - but when I realized that my friends weren't prepared to pay £30 for a sub-par sequel, I was left with about 4 hours of German gameplay, max...

Well... I think I've said all that I can about Company of Heroes 2. In conclusion, I'm not satisfied with Sega's sequel on what was a milestone in real-time strategy games. It has lost its strategy and has replaced it with numbers. And has many little 'features' that'll drive you mad, like units flashing their player colour when they're clicked on and all your recruited units now start off-map so you have to wait for them to come to you. There seems to be a never ending list of what's wrong with CoH 2, it's like they got the designs and features from the original games and said "these are good, but, scrap them and let's start from fresh without taking any inspiration from the originals". Plus CoH 2, to me, seems to have been Sega-fied.
  32. Jan 11, 2014
    As a fan of the first CoH, I naturally got CoH 2 in the Boxing Day sales, however the game is unplayable! After the first cutscene the game runs with unplayable frames, dwindling around 25. Considering the graphics have barely changed since CoH 1, this is outrageous. I am sure it's not my Pc, as my specs are better than needed to play the game fine, at least at 80-100 fps on medium. This issue is known, and as soon as I can play the damn thing, I'll give a real review of it, however avoid this game at all costs, at least until a patch comes out. Expand
  33. Jan 8, 2014
    The "Mein Kampf" of videogames. Avoid this piece of revisionism. Makes me wonder if Relic are neo-nazi's or just plain ignorant. Maybe both. This game should be banned
  34. Jan 7, 2014
    The average user score is CORRECT, it is about a 2/10. It is such a shame, really, as I have been playing COH since its inception in 2006. The rev 2 version is bugged, crashes often, needs a high end rig and video card, and just plain not balanced. You can't re-bind your keys, the MP often de-synchs, and the list goes on and on. Do I play it? Sure. Is Men of War Assault Squad better? YES
  35. Dec 29, 2013
    I write my review to rate this game 0, so seems fun when I can't rate it without typing some words. And review must be at least 150 characters long. Done.
    Update: Are you kidding? "Error 503 Service Unavailable"
    Ok, I'll rate 1 for it.
    Update: Are you kidding again? "Error 503 Service Unavailable"
    Ok, I'll rate 2 for it.
  36. Dec 28, 2013
    Game distorts the truth about the Soviet Union, the gameplay has not changed compared to the first part of the game, the game is just awful, I got the impression, game CoH2 developers are fans of the Fascists
  37. Dec 17, 2013
    I was very excited for the release and when i finally got the game i was horrendously disappointed to see that the graphics had been dumbed down in a desperate attempt to make more sales. Apparently, too many people with crap systems where crying that they couldn't run the game, so now the graphics look like animated play dough. This game is just an absolute eye sore to even look at. Relic had a very good potential with the company of heroes series and they just threw it in the garbage. I still prefer the original game over this by far. Expand
  38. Dec 15, 2013
    Dirty, Russophobe, anti-Soviet propaganda. This game is warped history (not just ours, but the whole the world). The script Company of Heroes 2 complete nonsense, lies, and the desecration of the memory of Soviet soldiers. Hitler and Himmler Thank you, whoever you are!
  39. Dec 13, 2013
    Well done, you have collected the worst that was in a few cases and created this story! Apparently it was hard to gather the best that was in most cases, to remind the world about the heroism of Russian soldiers who defeated Nazism?
  40. Dec 11, 2013
    Thank you Sega. Thank you Relic. I am from Russia. And I was very impressed with the plot of this game. Now I know what you think about the life of my grandparents. You have found the worst of the bad. And you said all that was, was bad. You said that this story objectively. P.s.: This is the latest game that I bought at Sega or Relic. I ask everyone, who considers himself a Russian would join me. I think this position will be the objective. Expand
  41. Dec 10, 2013
    I played COH1, a lot. This is a much shallower game which screams committee build. It needs... skins! and... snow!... and more single player! and... blizzard stop watches!... and a dozen dlc's! Too much fat, not enough game. The AI is painful and yo-yo's between ultra assassin ninja and headless chicken. Balance is still real strange. AT guns seem invulnerable to everything except flames. Russian tanks ram everything, weird stuff. The 3 is for the fun in beta, I never expected it to get worse after beta. Glad I am only out $20 as opposed to $60+. Big miss here Relic/Sega. Expand
  42. Zir
    Dec 9, 2013

I knew it was beyond suspect playing through the beta and not

43. Dec 8, 2013
    I have a decent rig and find that I can't even run the performance test on COH2 without severe stuttering at the lowest settings. Horrible optimization from a game that I expected to be better than the original. Stick with the original, this one is broken!
  44. Dec 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Crap game !

Unbalanced, pay to win, lag... save your money and don't buy it
    Coh1 still the best even with cheater players and wallhack Coh2 is a joke !
    Poor Relic
  45. Nov 29, 2013
    I played the beta, seemed it would turn to be ok, But afther a few months i baught it cheap on steam. And i already regret it. Gameplay does not come near to the first one. In part one you could choose between playing with a lot of micro (pvp) or build a nice defence and play relexed. This last way of relexed playing is not possilbe anymore. Even againts normal cpu i have to micro all over the battlefield all the time. I do not always want to play like that. German armor seemed to be made of glas, it takes ages to kill infantery with a normal p4. Im spending more time repairing tanks and heal my inf then im actualy fighting. Its just a bad choice to choose this engine. Perhaps its a nice game for the people who love playing against other people. But i cant play it as a relexed game like i did coh1. Imo crap. I believe the makers dont understand what all the strengts where of the first part. Furthermore they make this game a milking cow with all their dlc's. All these commanders with basicly all the same abilitys but a bit reshuffeled.

The popcap is way to low, you can only have a handfull of units. No way you can leave a defence force at one place because you just cant afford it. You just move to one point to the other, finding out that the opponent just recaps the places you just captured. Boring.

So disappointed. lucky i can still play the first part.
  46. Nov 22, 2013
    Decent gameplay, but due to the limited factions, it suffers from worse repetition that the Dawn of War series. Some units are atrociously overpowered early in the game, such as the flame halftrack which is more effective at killing infantry than the ability to run them over found in the Command and Conquer series. Snipers are only useful in groups of 3-5 squads. Single squads will often die before killing more than one unit due to their extremely high miss rate. Tanks are very hit and miss. Overall it's a fun time killer, but nothing I would sink weeks into.

Now, the controversial story, and the reason for the 3 rating. I'm American, and even I know that the story line is an extreme exaggeration of what occurred during WWII. It's like if someone took what the troops at Gitmo did and applied it to the entire US armed forces, then claimed the Americans were cowards since we entered the war only after Germany was already beaten harshly. The US forces committed many of the same atrocities as the Soviets on a relative scale. We rounded up Japanese-Americans and locked them into internment camps, and don't even get me started on the McCarthyism and the Truman Doctrine that treated anyone that didn't agree with the US as war criminals to be locked away, got millions of people killed, and still causes major economic problems today.

So, take the story with a grain of salt, it's an exaggeration of historically accurate events, which does not mean the plot is historically accurate.
  47. Nov 20, 2013
    Relic took one of the best RTS games that has ever been made and turned it into an elaborate, digital whack-a-mole that becomes tedious after the first few missions. I've never regretted buying a Relic game before which just makes this one all the more disappointing.
  48. Nov 19, 2013
    I had such high hopes for this game after being a massive fan of the original. I spent hours on it playing multiplayer (mostly 2 v 2). The multiplayer in this most recent garbage is flat and nothing like the original. All the small things are just no where near as good. There is no depth in this game!
    I am just so badly disappointed after looking forward to this game.
    I even especially
    made an account on Metacritic just to show my frustration! This game is HORRIBLE!
    every month new DLC commanders are released that are overpowered and completely change the entire game. THERE IS NO BALANCE.
    I want so badly to like this game but i just can't. I'm not sure how to portray anger properly over a review but just trust me that I'm angry!
  49. Nov 12, 2013
    Extremely disappointing! I've been following the development of this game for quite a while, I really didn't expected Relic to release such a "broken" game. There's no real innovations, the game play is boring compared to the original, there's a real lack of cleverness in this new tittle: even the HUD Menus are a mess. The great COH 1 multiplayer mechanisms are lost. They should have kept developing COHO as a free to play, this was way better! Expand
  50. Nov 10, 2013
    Awful game, do not buy this =(
    Nothing about real history of WW2, nothing about real soviet heroes. Read a historical documents before starting to write scenario of game next time, Relic!
  51. Nov 9, 2013
    Like everyone else, I was really thirlled to hear that COH2 would give us a different approach to the way, from the east.
    However, After a very unbalanced Beta, I assumed that they would tweak the game, given its delayed release and provide us with something truly amazing.
    Well they certainly did. Amazingly bad.
    I played hundreds of hours Alone and in MP with friends on the original
    COH.
    This really rocked my belief in the series.
    The Russian Mortars, Mobile and Artillery were completely overpowered, then if you survived to get into a German tank, the game was all but won and lost for the Russians.

I felt like I was playing the game matches again and again, nothing changed, the Enemy did the same things over and over, not to mention, 3 Panzers firing at an infantry section on the ground and they managed to disable one and button another before moving back out of sight.
    How this happens is beyond me.

Terrible game and not recommended for anyone who was a fan of the first one.
  52. Nov 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Absolutely pointless and does not match the historical deystvitelsnosti plot. Very bad game. I do not recommend buying this game. Let them think before releasing it. Expand
  53. Nov 4, 2013
    So i've read plenty of other reviews of this game, and its staunch defenders come across as zealots. None of them put forth any arguments as to why this game is as good as they claim it is, they just attempt to will it into being. Only one "official" reviewer got it dead right, although he did gave a low score of 20/100, but from what i understand his standards are high. I recommend reading his too.

I won't evaluate the campaign. It causes much controversy over how historically accurate/fair it is and i feel it has little to do with the point of the CoH franchise, which has always been the incredibly fun multiplayer and innovative unit dynamic and terrain interplay.

Finally some reviewers are going to say you should not review this game by comparing it to the original.
    Wrong! Considering its basically the same game engine, and the core idea is kept the same, you HAVE to, since if two games are the same, naturally you should pick the game which does it best. And more than any sequel, Coh1 and Coh2 ARE the same game, and well CoH1 still does it MUCH better.

Here is why:
    Despite the new game having better graphics (more particles, more gritty, more detail), it fails to improve on anything else from the original, and actually removes many fun or simply informative features. It also introduces an incredible boring grind reward system which is better suited to MMO's whose entire raison d'etre is "the grind".

One of the core features of the original was the commander tree abilities. In game you could decide, as the situation demanded, which tree you played, followed then by two different paths further choice as to how far up the path you go before you pick the low hanging fruit of the other path. This meant you could customize your commander path a lot, based on what was happening in game. In long games you eventually unlocked them all. This was a great feature.

This feature is gone in the CoH2. Instead they have you pick your tree before the game begins, and this shorter tree now unlocks their abilities one at a time. I also felt the abilities were simply less fun compared to the original (they are toned down to the point where i did not care about 3 out of the 5 abilities as they didn't seem to do anything)

The interface is another problem. It is so bereft of information and even color that unit effectiveness is impossible to gauge, and its hard to tell if your commander tree ability is unlocked or not, or even how to activate it. yes, i'm sure this can be overcome with time, but why? why implement a worse UI?

I noticed some unit damage gameplay changes that were long ago dismissed during balance testing of Coh1. Grenades are now ineffective (i threw MANY). They are now just something that does a little bit of damage to all the units. instead of killing a random amount of troops outright like it did in Coh1. In Coh1, grenade dodging became a hard earned skill as you had to watch for the "reach in my pocket" animation, and then run! I always liked the various unit abilities (fun a varied in Coh1), but in Coh2,there are just a handful, and they are weak.

Finally, CoH1 tried to make every faction completely different from the other. It was hard to balance, and they got a lot of criticism for how it was balanced, but it created a wonderful diversity. CoH2 just gives us two factions that are too similar, and also they are too similar to the ones in CoH1. So factions-wise. nothing interesting.

anyway, thats the worst of it, the commander tree, the grindy +2% crap, and the fewer unit abilities and weaker incarnation of them. I still play CoH1, and its the more fun game. it just is, and the graphics which were always top notch are withstanding the test of time, quite easily.

One simply MUST review this game in context of its predecessor. They are too similar, yet CoH2 is an example of game design failure and attempt to create a micro-transaction system that provides no value for money, and CoH1 is a wonderful triumph of design and respect for RTS gamers.

If CoH1 did not exist, i'll admit i'd give CoH2 7/10. but i'm sorry the pandora is out the box. we KNOW now what is really good in this type of game, and you can't close the box.
  54. Nov 2, 2013
    MID OR FEED MID OR FEED cyka cyka cyka
  55. Nov 1, 2013
    This game is one of the dirtiest, ridiculous and absurd propaganda in the spirit of the Cold War in order to not only distort the historical facts, but also to discredit the heroes of those terrible times
  56. Oct 30, 2013
    The game is fine but it is not a huge step forward from the last two games. If you look that is almost a 5 years between the last game Opposing fronts". I am a huge fun of Close Combat series, and I enjoy a lot this sort of game but I am not convince that it a good game. It is ok. If you play single battle against AI it is almost impossible to finish it. The campaign is nice and not boring. I like it but the rest not at all. Expand
  57. Oct 29, 2013
    The singleplayer experience is ruined with utterly offensive plot and disgusting gameplay issues. As far as Relics say 'it's all authentic' the pleasure of playing this is second to none.
  58. Oct 26, 2013
    Igra fignya i otstoy. Posle pervoy chasti i addonov ozhidalos' mnogoe, a tam fuflo. Nado bilo snachala chitat' otzivi, vozmozhno, ne bil bi tak razocharovan.
  59. Oct 23, 2013
    well...to be honest, under the highest image quality settings the game's Ambient Occlusion, blizzard effect and rendering system are pretty “Essence 3.0." But the general fact is that most of coh2 players confront horrible performance issue- the optimization sucks, my GTX 670 only could run the game with frame rate of 30-45. And the protagonist in the campaign annoys me a lot, by creating fake historical resemblance such as they burned their farmland. I have just finished the campaign and I expect more on map balancing in multiplayer games(hopefully the relic had fixed many bugs in some unbalanced map by October).
    Finally I really want a boost-up driver for Nvdia graphic cards, we need a better optimization.
  60. Oct 21, 2013
    Gaming is an art, where you can like a book to tell the story. This story is false and degrading everything they fought in the Second World War. Well at least not as shown in the concentration camps of the Nazis take care of the poor Jews and Slavs. While they were killed like animals everybody.
  61. Oct 16, 2013
    After 200 hours played, I'm writing this review.
    Day 1 DLC, Pay to win commanders you can only unlock with real money and only work with multiplayer, and one of the most bafflingly bad million-dollar single player campaign I've ever seen in a game, Company of Heroes 2 fails on all fronts when it easily should have soared.

The amount of reviews that seem to skip the actual gameplay to
    focus on "It's a nice game" sicken me and only further prove the rampant decline of gaming journalism. Expand
  62. Oct 14, 2013
    I cant believe it they made a horrible story out of russian army, some of that, thas was in the game is true but they giving us this like it was the only truth about soviet army. that wery wery dishonorable!!!
  63. Oct 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I feel sorry I have bought the game, based on critic review I thought it will be a good game, they give 80 rating to every game probably. I was wrong it is not better than Company of heroes 1 also it is anti-russian and anti-historical bunch of stupid lies which make me angry hire historian on start reading books before you make story. Shame on you Relic. Expand
  64. Oct 11, 2013
    A complete travesty this game is. I really enjoyed the first CoH games. When I finally got CoH2 I was expecting it to be a beautiful RTS based on WW2. Instead all I got was the same CoH graphics, only buggier, jagged, and far laggier. The game was pretty much the same. No, it was a step back! The campaign is absolute garbage. I also picked up on the slight racism towards the Russians and glorifying the Germans. As a Russian I felt a bit annoyed.
    Multiplayer is slighty better quality, but the lack of a lobby pits you with random players, most of which lag severely or drop out in the first 5 minutes of the game.

What an awful game. Get the first Company of Heroes games over this POS.
  65. Oct 11, 2013
    This game has been marketed as a serious historical accuracy one, and the dev said they had done enough homework for the history. Well it seems that they've learned history from old cold war propaganda, and talking about the historical accuracy, I think even Stalin vs Martians does history better than this crap.
  66. Oct 10, 2013
    The historical accuracy it's good! But forcing ordinary players (most of whom are children) to kill their countrymen it's awful! Good luck gentlemen, keep up the good work (this is sarcasm, by any chance, some Canadians do not understand
  67. Oct 10, 2013
    Great parody from Canadians. Apparently, Canadians have their own history books. To those who swallowed this story you can put the appropriate diagnosis. This game doesnt even deserve any points.
  68. Oct 9, 2013
    If a game claims to be based on historical events, it must actually be based on historical events, or at least attempt to do so. I cannot say with any certainly at all that the makers of this game genuinely thought they were giving it a historical background. Any merit the game-play has is completely obscured by the obvious and blatant twisting of history. I have nearly no personal connection with the USSR, but anyone with a minimal grasp of history can see right through this game's lies. Expand
  69. Oct 8, 2013
    I believe there is only one reason why this game is exist. The reason is that nazi are alive and they have made this game for other nazi. Authors and publishers of this game should be imprisoned.
  70. Oct 7, 2013
    This game is awful just friggin awful.

8 years after CoH and all we get are new skins. AI is so much dumber now... seriously the cover system is totally broken. Oh yeah and the story sucks so to add insult to injury it's worse than CoH.

Just so bad to release a game like this. It's not even friggin optimized and runs sluggish as hell!!
  71. Oct 6, 2013
    I created this account specifically to warn gamers of how horrible COH 2 is. I LOVED THE ORIGINAL COH! I cant speak for the historical inaccuracies of the story line in COH 2, but I can speak for the game-play. The game-play makes it impossible to play as the soviets outside of the campaign mode. I watched videos on you tube and read countless guides, then I played 30+ games vs AI and lost almost every time on standard difficulty. The Germans have armor within a few minutes of gaming and you have almost nothing... not even RPGs or Bazookas to stop the armored vehicles. I have never played such an uneven game. I wish I could get my money back. Expand
  72. Oct 4, 2013
    they took the RTS CoH and made it arcade.
    this game is close to nothing as good as the first one. the base-building is pretty much the same, but the rest is inferior to the original.
    it really doesnt matter what tank you build to counter the enemy's vehicle, it's all about luck in this arcade-made version of CoH1, which I cherished wholeheartedly. squad-control is sluggish at best, it's
    close to impossible to make soldiers stand exactly where you want them to stand. dodging grenades/molotovs/MG:s at the last second is out of the question. the new "vision-system" that was introduced makes chasing down enemy tanks with your own tank impossible. the weather-effects are boring and makes the whole match pause, no one dares to move, nothing more dramatic than that.

before strategic points meant that you had to hold them in order to secure the resource point that you held, now you're better off holding only strategic points as they give you both resources.

to conclude it: this game is a disgracing, arcade-version of CoH1. If you like cinematic features, go ahead and buy it. if you actually enjoyed this game because you wanted to out-maneuver the enemy and see his shells bounce off your tiger's front armor, play CoH1, because now everything penetrates everything.
    is this still in beta?
  73. Oct 3, 2013
    Everything that was good in COH1 or even COHO was revamped and ruined, MP is worst! automatching is horrible, the Single player is one offensive clichés after another (mostly stolen from Enemy at the gates) if Joseph Goebbels made is pc game it would be Coh2.
  74. Oct 2, 2013
    Worst of tthe worst. No sli, buggy, crappy gameplay. bad performance. and just the same game in a new skin.
    Words do not exist tp explain my dissapointmen
  75. Sep 30, 2013
    I have over 300+ hours of coh2(check my steam profile), and i can say DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF YOU AREN'T A CASUAL GAMER. Seriously. This can seems a good rts but in whole is a compared to coh1, for many things, it's an incomplete game full of cheaters and basically when you buy it you get just 20% of the game. P2W commanders with insane prices, theater of war empty or with $$$dlcs$$$, no lobbies, crappy framerate and elo system, automatch sucks, maps sucks, the players of this game sucks and his community. Expand
  76. Sep 30, 2013
    So I got ticked over the jacked up campaign until Sega showed some tact. Once I did get the game I began playing the mediocre campaign. The main character whines like a wuss. I empathized with his C.O. more. Voice acting is meh and the character models are terrible. Some of the scenes needed more emotion to give a clear meaning to dialogue. Some missions where just lazy or boring and I lost involvement rather easy. Everything the Russians have feels pathetic while the Germans feel like Ubermensch. The later is fine, but a weak feeling faction is just annoying. Why is the T-34/76 not a tank? I already had a light armor vehicle so it is very redundant. Balance becomes a problem and comp stomping when the internet goes down is not enjoyable in any way. Territory connection can be ridiculous at best during multiplayer. I am not connected to the territory right next to my base because a territory out in bumblecheese is the link? The game has a lot of unused potential and needs much work to be decent. The only thing that feels fun is the Katyusha rocket truck. Katyusha spam on the campaign was entertaining to say the least. Fix the balance, eliminate redundant units, and make effective AI opponents and it becomes a decent game. Even with that it still shouldn't be a $60 game. Relic needs to go back to making games and stop cashing in on franchises with shovelware. Expand
  77. Sep 29, 2013
    Anything they could have done means nothing compared to how they changed the history! Soviet soldiers killing their own for no reason? Anti-retreat units behind the ordinary lines, simply killing people? Soldiers, who don't want to fight for their country and their families? Total Soviet reign had a lot of flaws, but this game shows none of those, that really existed. Stalin was nothing but pragmatic and all his actions were done on the basis of reason (without any mercy, that is true). Here we see the actions of maniacs lead by maniac who hates people and wished to loose the war. Total crap.

The game itself has nothing new, nothing interesting. Nothing you haven't seen somewhere else.

This game should be banned for Nazi propaganda, not sold all over the world.
  78. Sep 28, 2013
    This game is now more like cheap pay2win asian mmo's with huge "STORE" button in every sub-menu of the game. It's not a AAA RTS title it's a simple,little machine designed to rip you off. Just check the game's steam store page and feast your eyes with tons of DLCs. Oh and now they started actual new units to the game..and you must PAY to play them. How is this fair in a competitive multiplayer game? Expand
  79. Sep 25, 2013
    revising my review to 0/10 for changing the game to pay2win. GJ sega, by go screw up some1 elses franchise now too.

has taken something away from the game.

CoH 2 isn't bad, its terrible. Maps aren't great, AI is terrible, squad control is fiddly and really is a step backwards, voice acting isn't immersive, environment isn't pretty or outstanding in any way.

If you haven't played CoH or Opposing Fronts, buy those. Much much much better games and good value for money now. Wasted my money and won't be playing CoH2 any more.
  80. Sep 25, 2013
    After buying and playing the original and all the Expansions and DLCs I couldn't wait to play CoH 2. Unfortunately its bloody awful. Its all just rush rush rush and the gameplay is frankly irritating and boring. The first game is the best in my opinion and each expansion has taken something away from the game.

CoH 2 isn't bad, its terrible. Maps aren't great, AI is terrible, squad

Very sad that one of my favourite games ever has stopped so low.
  81. Sep 25, 2013
    This is the most overpriced piece of crap ever.

Basically it seems Relic have spent six years adding snow to CoH.

82. Sep 24, 2013
    Yet another trash "game" that is nothing but a stripped down demo, waiting to be "enhanced" by an endless parade of DLC. Another franchise ruined by horrible business practices. Playing this game in full will cost in the hundreds, and even then, it is a shadow of the original (totally complete and awesome) Company of Heroes. This game is great if you enjoy helping to fund a greedy game executive's third summer home. Expand
  83. Sep 24, 2013
    The worst game I ever played. Never will buy any game from Relic. Waste of money and time. Bad graphics,
    awful game play. Nothing else to add. Garbage.
  84. Sep 23, 2013
    Ce jeu est nul, i'histoire présentée est complètement mensongère. Aucun progrès niveau graphique depuis la sortie du première volet (2006 quand même!). A foutre dans les poubelles. (toute façon je n'ai la pas acheté, essayé chez un ami et décidé de ne pas offrir 50€ cette équipe des bras cassés).
  85. Sep 22, 2013
    This is the most overpriced piece of crap ever.

Basically it seems Relic have spent six years adding snow and racism to CoH.

Half the game content is DLC, it is buggy and unfinished really don't waste your money on this tat.
  86. Sep 20, 2013
    I'm not gonna say it's good.. cause it isn't.

Anyway, there are way too many russians complaining about "anti-soviet" and "anti-russian". First off, anti-soviet would be good. Second of all, it's not anti-russian. It's just that what you think is real history is just what your government tries to teach you, that they were the nicest and best people on earth, it's natural.

Unfortunately, commissars were often bad people. They sacrificed loads of soldiers. Many russians during the time were uneducated and therefore perhaps not the smartest people on earth, because that's what communism does. It relies on the mass to be uneducated. I don't quite understand however, how they can portray them as coward-ish. Well, some people only went to war when drunk, many in-fact. But they still loyally charged when told to, they had no choice after all. They might have taken some aspects a little too harshly, but overall it's not as "unrealistic" as some people here say. Then again, what they think is right is very unrealistic.

Either way, this game fails to bring in new content and new ideas, the balance is off in some places, and I assure you it is not only the germans that are "unbalanced". I would recommend just going back to company of heroes 1 instead, it's nicer and more innovative.
  87. Sep 20, 2013
    The so called Company of Heroes 2 has 2 major failure leads to massive Negative user reviews.
    1. Game lacks flash point compares to the original CoH, original CoH came out in 2006, the graphic, story and strategy playing drives player want to lead his/her company to victory, and yes it's a revolutionary game. CoH2 however does not improve much about the original and even step backward in
    game UI, unit AI and map design. Relic fail to impress players in new tech, and snow effect/true sight weren't a completely new area in a RTS game. Disappointing.

2. The story-line, a insult to former Soviet people and their sacrifice, Relic claim that story was historically accurate and lots of people says "you brain washed people should learn more about history." it's a joke, saying US and CA people know a more accurate version of soviet history than soviet people is a joke. Even if we take all the political stuff away the story-line wasn't even interesting! using a neither interesting nor historically accurate campaign as a political weapon to back stab an already collapsed nation, which I think it's Epic-Fail. Can't imaging Relic the game developer who made so many great games have done this trash. Disappointing.

PS: Why I won't mark this game as 0? I love CoH, this is one of my favorite RTS. for most part, this was still CoH anyway, but without improvements and a bad campaign.
  88. Sep 19, 2013
    All I have to say about this game: This game is a mixed bag. A bag full of shame, microtransactions in a full priced game, vomit and diarrhea. I just can't imagine what relic was thinking when they said "Okay, these improvements are good (no they're not), make it a 50€ game, and add microtransactions". Thanks.

I checked on the game on release day, and after the atrocius beta version I
    admit I torrented it down. I knew this game WILL suck balls. Unbalanced, unoptimized and ugly like hell.

Maybe the worst-ever sequel, and worst-ever RTS game, but surely the worst RTS of the 2010s. Even Stalin vs The Martians is better than this.
  89. Sep 16, 2013
    Don't even think about buying this, let me save you the money and time that I unfortunately wasted on this horrendous game. I honestly think you would do better with CoH 1, which to my eyes is a far superior game.
  90. Sep 11, 2013
    This game in it's current state is horrendous and god awful. The only way to correct it is through extensive modding which unfortunately doesn't seem likely. Sega has announced a recent statement that it does not support modding for it's game and thus killed all expectations of improving company of heroes 2. No map editor and no official mod tools. This game is as good as it gets in it's current form, which is downright appalling compared to the first.

I will never give Sega or Relic another penny.
  91. Sep 8, 2013
    COH2 is a step backwards from the original COH. The maps have call of duty modern combat feel (Run like hell, shoot shoot shoot). There is NO defensive play. Population cap of 100 limits play style. Computer AI has GOD LIKE precognition of exactly what you have, where it is, and which direction it is facing. You have to mico manage the direction your MG or AT guns are facing. Me and four of my friends had hundreds of hours of fun playing Coop versus the computer. That isn't there anymore. No in game pause to allow you to plan and view map. I could care less about PVP play or ranking!!!!! Expand
  92. Sep 7, 2013
    What is this? What has relic done with company of heroes?

First of all, the graphics are sh*t even if everything is maxed out, and the voice acting is sh*t and the story line is SO far off it's offensive! The weather system is f*ckin dumb and over hyped. The gameplay feels cheap. Overall this game is sh*t. Play CoH1 instead, at least its not overpriced.
  93. Sep 7, 2013
    Relic Entertainment! The second this game was finished and sent for sale you managed to:
    - loose a fan.
    - loose a customer
    - loose your shame
    Good job.
  94. Sep 6, 2013
    Played this for around 8 days now and purchased it off Steam the other day so paid full price because I thought it would be worth it. I was extremely sad to realise the lack of effort and innovation they have put into this game. I thought after all this time they could have made it a lot better and all it is pretty much is COH 1 remastered with newer textures and graphics. Complete waste of money, absolute joke. Expand
  95. Sep 6, 2013
    Crashes,lags etc it's awful!Games campaign is crap.Games mission are not intersting.There is no Kursk battle!Soviet characters are so brutal and so stupid.
  96. Sep 5, 2013
    on of the worst optimized games of all time with bad graphics and battles i think this game is one of the worst games i have ever played do not buy this game
    Sep 4, 2013
    Do not buy, comrade! I played first CoH where americans were heroes. I expected Relic shows Red Army as heroes too (btw they were heroes, we dont forgot yet, they stopped most of nazi forces). But what the..? I am extremely disappointed. In game, russian officers are monsters. I know Relic dont collect many information, using first they could find instead. Its a fatal error for people who develop realistic game about history.

Gameplay doesnt change. Completely.
    Soldiers dont jump over obstacles by themselves, are they stupid or what?
    They also never rotate heavy weapons without direct order.
    Truesight, Coldtech, is it all that Relic made for 7 years?
    Missions are same.
    Germans are overpowered, engineers for example.
    Game is less realistic than CoH1.
    And DLC's, the evil of all games, hate!
    Seriously, just keep playing CoH1, it is more interesting.

What I can say about CoH2?
    I NOT recommend this for playing and especially for learning history.
  98. Sep 4, 2013
    Quite shocking really. I have a fairly powerful computer, and I get slow frames and slowdown. Story is indeed rather boring. I actually stopped playing the game after the 4th mission. Graphics felt really dated for a supposedly 'new' game.

A rehash of original COH (but worse). It definitely didn't capture the magic of the first one and the expansions. Sad sad sad.

Don't bother buying
    this crap, and I have no clue how reviewers can give this TOP marks! Maybe try it when it goes for a 75% discount.. maybe.. Expand
  99. Sep 3, 2013
    As a Canadian Citizen, I formally apologize to Russian people for the crimes this game commits against your people and to the heroes of the Soviet Union who aided the allies in freeing us from nazi tyranny. You and you grandfathers will always hold a special place in my heart. Once again there are Canadian citizens who honor and forever will respect the sacrifices the Russian people have made in the name of freedom and the eternal struggle against tyranny and oppression.

if you read this and accept this apology just indicate this "review" as helpful.
  100. Aug 31, 2013
    Same game as the previous Company of Heroes several years ago! No joke, almost NOTHING has changed. Just a remake and strategy for winning first version will be exactly the same. Wasted $60. But, the original was a GREAT game., that is why they get a few stars.

1. Oct 7, 2013