• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Jun 25, 2013
1.9

Overwhelming dislike- based on 5810 Ratings

1. Jun 29, 2013
    Laughable AI (the way the enemy units rush you down like ant is a joke), The maps are too small, everything is way too fast. This is not a real strategy game, more like an arcade (I guess that is the reason for the good review, it does not really require much effort to play...).
  2. Jul 17, 2013
    Company of Heroes 2 is an odd game to review. It works really well, but is honestly just a large expansion of one of the best RTS' of all time, Company of Heroes. If you're dying for more COH then this is worth the purchase, if not, spend your money elsewhere.
  3. Aug 22, 2013
    The multiplayer is fairly good. But get this: in some ways its actually inferior to the original COH! Weird that the game should be going backwards! The UI is worse and the frame-rate issues suggest this was not properly play-tested or optimized. I have THREE big issues with his game, leading to a low review score: (1) Day one DLC! The game is $60 for goodness sake! It is rude and ridiculous to add 'free to play' features for a game that already cast 5X the going price for the original (better) game. (2) The absence of meaningful improvement in the game. (3) The bloody ridiculous anti-Soviet propaganda of the campaign. I'm not vaguely Russian, nor am I a lover of Stalin, whom we all know was nearly as bad as Hitler. But I agree with the score-bombing hordes of outraged Russian fans about this game. The Russians had a tough fight on their hands. They lost a lot of men and they were up against Tiger tanks, and MG 42s. In the end they prevailed, not with human-wave attacks, but with courage, tenacity and tactical skills learned against a fierce opponent. Not only that, Soviet generals out-thought and out-planned the German high command. The Red Army beat their enemy fair and square on the battlefield. And they deserve respect for it. The campaign for this game takes a totally inappropriate and historically dubious set of ideas and expands them into the main theme of the game: the Soviets were monsters. I guess we all learn from our mistakes, but Relic definitely facked this one up! Maybe with all the extra money they rip-off with their DLC they could do a big patch and fix up this stupid campaign!

THE GROT REVIEW CRITERIA: After a long time writing reviews like an anus, think its time to set something straight. Stop insulting designers. Show some respect for the design process and getting games in circulation. Hence (1) No Red scores. (2) Game scores as follows: Bad Game 5/10. Poor Game 6/10. Mediocre Game: 7/10. Good Game 8/10. Great game 9/10. Stella Game 10/10. To get 10/10 it must be a game that can be (theoretically) play-able for 1000+ hours. Not only great but near endless fun. Games may be bad or poor but making them should earn respect. Thus even the worst POS will still be a 5/10. 0/10 no longer exists in my vocabulary. Yellow is the new red.
  4. Aug 29, 2014
    The game is definitely improving from the very poor launch. New multiplayer lobbies with annihilate is the most welcome addition. The in-game feedback popups also show that devs are trying to make the game better. There's still imbalance, most notably with the OKW from the new expansion, but the game is much better than it used to be
  5. Jul 3, 2013
    This game is really not as good as CoH 1, not even close. The number of day 1 DLCs is total joke. I mean WtF??? this game got DLC like it was free to play game, but it is not. AI is also really horrible.
  6. Oct 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Concept: Adds in more realism and gameplay elements at the sacrifice of the aspects that made the first game the strategy juggernaut that it was.

Graphics: The graphics update is appreciated, and looks great from a distance certainly, but don't expect the same level of quality up close.

Sound: Sounds are clearly one of the game's highlights, with realistic explosions and feedback chatter spinning around at all times- realistically disorienting the player as well sometimes.

Playability: Once you figure out the controls, it's a blast to play. Key words: once you figure out the controls.

Entertainment: The game is a good one, albeit an extremely flawed one, and one that could have really been something great given a little bit more time.

Replay Value: Moderate.

Overall Score: 7.5
  7. Apr 13, 2014
    Please ignore the reviews below 7. This game has been attacked by Russians who can`t tell what is true about WWII in any case.

I just picked this game few days ago and man, it is so good! A wonderful RTS set in horrible days of World War II.

In singleplayer campaign that takes about 12 hours, you get to play the Soviets (Russians).Everything here is realistic. Very bad Red Army made
    of amateurs, not able to command anything, with inferior commanders, coward soldiers and poor machinery. They even shot a lot of their own people for no reason. This is all recreated in the game, the player depends mostly on Soviet cannonfodder in the first missions with it getting a little better with poor T34 tanks for example.

There are some problems with the game.
    1. In sp you can`t play as the Germans.
    2. It needs a very strong pc to run good (but when you do the graphics are very nice).
    3. AI can be very stupid at times.

Nonetheless this game provides very realistic battles in a realistic enough setting so it is very satisfying, even when you play as Stalin lover.

Wonderful, beautiful game 10/10.
  8. Jul 31, 2013
    Metacritic is BROKEN. I have just seen over 200 user reviews clearly written by the same person.
    I have no doubt that this is the case these hundreds of reviews. All taking about what a terrible war WWII was, how the writers family suffered etc. Many of them contain the exact same spelling mistake. All of them go on about "Russian suffereing" and hardly ever mention the game. Either one
    person using a bot to create accounts (very VERY simple) and post gazillions of reviews (very VERY simple using UBot 4.1 and some proxies). THis devalues Metacrtic and shows the arrogance of someone who thinks that their opinion in worth that of hundreds of other people and must be artificially aplified to ensure his will pervails. The sort of arrogance and method Stalin might have used if he were alive or Hitler! The game IS crap however. How on earth the magazones give it 8+ is beyond me. It's not a "0" though maybe a 3 but it is a very poor game. Terrible AI, poorly optimized, nerfed in terms of strategy from the original. Not very good at all. Just wish it could have earned this low score naturally rather then having someone so obviously force the issue with voting bots. Expand
  9. Jan 11, 2014
    As a fan of the first CoH, I naturally got CoH 2 in the Boxing Day sales, however the game is unplayable! After the first cutscene the game runs with unplayable frames, dwindling around 25. Considering the graphics have barely changed since CoH 1, this is outrageous. I am sure it's not my Pc, as my specs are better than needed to play the game fine, at least at 80-100 fps on medium. This issue is known, and as soon as I can play the damn thing, I'll give a real review of it, however avoid this game at all costs, at least until a patch comes out. Expand
  10. Jul 9, 2013
    What happened during the development? Did the developers get lazy and decide to just take the original game and change the characters? Don't turn into the strategy version of CoD. This game had so much potential, but they screwed it up, but they went "Hey here is your game, this is so good... HAHA suckers! We got your money now!"
  11. Sep 24, 2013
    Yet another trash "game" that is nothing but a stripped down demo, waiting to be "enhanced" by an endless parade of DLC. Another franchise ruined by horrible business practices. Playing this game in full will cost in the hundreds, and even then, it is a shadow of the original (totally complete and awesome) Company of Heroes. This game is great if you enjoy helping to fund a greedy game executive's third summer home. Expand
  12. Oct 9, 2013
    If a game claims to be based on historical events, it must actually be based on historical events, or at least attempt to do so. I cannot say with any certainly at all that the makers of this game genuinely thought they were giving it a historical background. Any merit the game-play has is completely obscured by the obvious and blatant twisting of history. I have nearly no personal connection with the USSR, but anyone with a minimal grasp of history can see right through this game's lies. Expand
  13. Jan 2, 2014
    Well don't we all love a co-ordinated score bombing: It is true that the campaign for this game distorts the history. However it is a GAME. pretty clearly most of the Russians scoring this 0/10 for insulting their history never played the game, and simply posted their venting reviews. As for the game being too much like Company of Heroes 1, or an inferior game, I disagree. There is definitely an evolution of ideas at play here. And Relic worked hard and long to create a framework for gamers to enjoy a lot here.

The way the game was diced up to be bought as DLC is pretty terrible. Selling vehicle skins for dollars a pop is absurd when we are talking about 50 skins and probably more than $100! Sega are you out of your minds? That is ABSURD! Dudes give us an in-game workshop to make our own color schemes! don't be so greedy!

Despite the over-priced DLC and the anti-Soviet propaganda. There is a good game in here. Definitely wait till it is on sale, and especially the expansion packs which are way-over-priced. Ignore the skins and load up on 'commanders' when they are cheap.

And enjoy a good, high-paced RTS. 8/10 with a couple of points added to address the ridiculous 1.8 user score.

In terms of gameplay this game is a painful exercise in futile micro-management. If anyone out there wants to play a game that is faithful to actual military combat in WWII do not get this game. instead you should hunt out an old combat of Close Combat V invasion Normandy which is the same basic idea as this game but 1000 times better!

Orctowngrot.
  14. Jan 17, 2014
    After so many years since the original Company of Heroes, many people, including me feel rather let down by what is on offer in this game. The campaign is pretty standard, and is quite similar to that in the original game in terms of objectives and the level design and the voice acting is decent. The fact that your units can freeze to death and that you must go near fire to keep warm is interesting at first, but the concept gets old and repetitive rather quickly. In many ways the Russians seem like a reskinned USA from the first game. Many units and buildings look underwhelming with the models used in the first game looking much better in comparison. What is even more disappointing is that the game's
    optimization is horrendous. This game looks very similar to the original Company of Heroes and performs terribly. I struggle to get a constant 40fps on low settings on my laptop, and this same laptop gets 60+ fps in the original Company of Heroes with maxed out detail and 50+ fps on high settings in Starcraft 2.

There are some good points of this game though. The Theatre of War game mode is quite interesting as there are multiple challenging missions to complete either solo or with a friend but it does seem a bit of a stretch that you have to pay to play the additional challenges. The integration of Steam Workshop is also quite cool. Your troops can also jump over sandbags now, but honestly is that really game changing?

At the end of the day, Company of Heroes 2 is difficult to recommend. The game is hardly any different than the original Company of Heroes, costs much more and performs terribly. Company of Heroes 2 also lacks clan support and the like, a mechanic that RTS games such as Starcraft 2 implement very well. If you want a great RTS experience I would suggest you pick up Starcraft 2 and its expansion or even the original Company of Heroes for a fraction of the price.
  15. Sep 19, 2013
    This game does not improve on anything really, in fact, it makes it worse. But it is still a mediocre strategy game, albeit horribly racist. Thanks for your time!
  16. Oct 13, 2013
    Company of Heroes to kontynuacja jednej z najlepszych strategii, kontynuacja najlepszej strategii 2-wojennej, szkoda że dwójka nie radzi sobie już tak dobrze jak jedynka, ale dalej jakoś trzyma poziom. Twórcy postawili na dość ciekawą fabułę, przedstawienie wojny z innego punktu widzenia, do tego w strategii było zaskakujące. Do tego klimat 2-wojenny, elementy w zimie, czy ogólne inne nowe elementy wychodzą dobrze. W grę gra się dobrze, do tego dawno nie widzieliśmy tak dobrej strategii 2-wojennej. Problem polega jednak na tym że bardziej opłaca się grać w jedynkę. Twórcy mało poprawili. Nie dosyć że grafika wygląda średnio to gra jest zbugowana, niedopracowana, często boty uprzykrzają nam życie swoją głupotą a sama gra po dłuższym czasie staje się monotonna i trochę za trudna. Prawdziwi fani CoH chyba powinni po prostu zostać przy jedynce. Moja ocena 7/10 Expand
  17. May 31, 2014
    Good things: solid competetive multiplayer, only decent RTS out there that's not Starcraft, pretty immersive
    Bad things: terrible astonishingly bad matchmaking, constant balance problems, game unstability leading to freezes and crashes, very greedy DLC policy
    I only play it because there isn't any good RTS out there. It's a big shame THQ had to sell Relic to Sega, because the latter one
    is a bunch of greedy morons who only care about money and it shows in CoH 2. Expand
  18. Apr 25, 2014
    Wow! i likE the gameplay , whatever 1000 russian provocators cry about stOry, -skip the story -
    the GAMEPLAY is NICE ! strong Emotion can be sensed from situataions, and i get excited from what cool things i see as i move to next area in game. Production quality shows, im happy this game was made!
    __________________________________________________________________________
    (sad that
    also Metacritic has been targeted by russian Bureau of Propaganda :( Expand
  19. Jul 18, 2013
    I like the game but I give it a 5 because the whole game isn't here. The story is short and lacks and real fun levels and all I can say about the DLC levels is F*CK you Relic/Sega whatever.

The story is basically a story of bad guy vs bad guy and at the end your are just like yay! we setup the USSR... great.

Honestly go buy part 1 and skip this one...
  20. Jun 26, 2013
    Is it better than the original? NO
    Is it a great game? YES
    Is it a worthy sequel? JUST

Having played the original for 7 long years I must say that it has to be the longest, continuously played game of my life. 2 succeeding PC builds always had it installed. I had my doubts with Relic but this one is A-OK. The gameplay is not as unpredictable and as positively protracted as the first
    which takes away a little bit of excitement but you still get loads of fun, explosions and other good stuff in its place. Let's hope the patches improve the balance just a bit more as the high population count of units is an issue. I don't think all the negative reviews accurately portray this still good game so don't let the naysayers discourage you. If you want a very good RTS, this is definitely worth your time and money. Expand
  21. Jan 13, 2014
    - terrible,stupid sp (full of worst kind of propaganda by the way :) )

+fun and diverse mp and that is only thing that i care for. Many units and strategies. Good balance.
  22. Oct 11, 2013
    A complete travesty this game is. I really enjoyed the first CoH games. When I finally got CoH2 I was expecting it to be a beautiful RTS based on WW2. Instead all I got was the same CoH graphics, only buggier, jagged, and far laggier. The game was pretty much the same. No, it was a step back! The campaign is absolute garbage. I also picked up on the slight racism towards the Russians and glorifying the Germans. As a Russian I felt a bit annoyed.
    Multiplayer is slighty better quality, but the lack of a lobby pits you with random players, most of which lag severely or drop out in the first 5 minutes of the game.

What an awful game. Get the first Company of Heroes games over this POS.
  23. Jul 5, 2013
    Having played the game a while now I feel its nowhere near as good as the first one. I dont understand the decision to take out elements like building defenses ie tank traps bunkers dugouts etc, I loved that in the first game, but overall its not a bad game, just feels like there have been things taken out for the sake of making it different to COH 1

Still a few balancing issues to be
    sorted i think, and im sure we'll see countless patches like we did for the first one, its not grabbing me like the first one did

My opinion is if you've never played a COH game then get the first one with all the add on's and if youve bought the first one and are a fan of the game then this is just about worth a buy,.
  24. Jul 28, 2013
    This is very bad game. Huge disappointment for me. Company of Heroes 1 was the best strategy game i ever played. This one is so bad that my head wants to explode. Nothing more to say. Don't buy this, save money for something that is worth playing for 15 or 30 hours. I want my money back.
  25. Jun 25, 2013
    Very disapointing, uses the same graphics engine, the graphics look very similar but it brings my 3770K and 680GTX to a halt. IT has very few improvements over the first game. This just screams cash in to me, Stick with the oringal CoH its much superior
  26. Jul 4, 2013
    terrible performance issues same graphics as the old game absolutly nuthing has changed here i cant believe this scam they really are juts cashing in on the name no effort was made when making this game and it shows steer clear.
  27. Nov 18, 2013
    Ignore the negative reviews.. Most are by Russians who wouldn't know real history if they were shoved into a gulag and made to peel potatoes. This is an exceptional RTS a refined version of the original COH and as historically accurate as a game can get without it being boring. For the RTS fan this is a real treat.
  28. Sep 24, 2013
    Excellent game, and a SPOT ON portrayal of the communists. I know that a lot of russians take exception to their dark and terrible history, in which they have NOTHING to be proud of and EVERYTHING to be shamed of, but they should not expect the rest of the world to indulge in that fantasy.

Even many russian youth are embracing far-right activity, as they know full well how evil and
    wrong communism is on so many levels.

Kudos to the developers for creating such a wonderful game that ACCURATELY portrays the commies for what they were.
  29. May 7, 2014
    This is one of the best games I've played. The battles are epic, I play online all the time. I've never played the campaign yet, but I've put almost 300 hours into online and it's so amazing! The only game I play as much as this is Dota, Civilization V, and StarCraft II.
  30. Jun 30, 2013
    Even worse than company of heroes 1 Game is the same except instead of usa you have russia.
    Gameplay is still horrible Group of infantry running casually infront of MG nests and not dieing Then they just sprint away Im giving this 1 point of out of pity 50 far too much for this game Should be 5
  31. Jan 5, 2014
    i love this game. great graphic, gameplay and historically accurate. Just like in the history book, despite what some brainwashed individuals here claim. What more could you possibly want from a game.
  32. Jul 11, 2014
    The first "Company of Heroes" was a rare milestone in RTS games. Not only did it master the art of telling a good story, it also added realistic, fun game play features, especially when it came to facing of units. It was smooth, balanced, well crafted, innovative, addictive and downright amazing.

For CoH2, I expected more of the same. Before I played it, I honestly thought Russians were
    just getting all patriotic and whiny about the plot. After playing most of the campaign, I gotta admit the criticism is well founded. Russians are stereotypical EVIL in this game. It's like a cold war spy movie. The Russian officers gladly kill every surviving solider after a heroic defensive battle, JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT.

Nazis in CoH2 however seem to be good, upstanding citizens - I have yet to see a single nazi war crime in the game. While playing one can only conclude that your guys are fighting for the wrong side. Anyway, story sucks and is written by someone who has no idea what Russia in WWII was all about. Enough about it.

Graphics are pretty, squads work well, campaign maps are well-made. The same features that make CoH special are still there, but newly added features are rather uninteresting. The Russian winter is represented by jumps from bonfire to bonfire. Neither very interesting in terms of game play, nor historically correct: Standing right next to a huge bonfire on the front line of a war where the enemy has artillery and snipers doesn't seem like the best idea to me.

The game is not a bad game - it's relatively fun to play, looks good and never crashed for me. However it fails to add anything, and the story is downright idiotic. More missions have been published as DLC, but I can't say I'm hankering for more of CoH2.
  33. Sep 16, 2013
    Don't even think about buying this, let me save you the money and time that I unfortunately wasted on this horrendous game. I honestly think you would do better with CoH 1, which to my eyes is a far superior game.
  34. Aug 8, 2014
    company of heroes 2 is worse than company of heroes 1, but i think the game is not very bad. I give nine score cz many user give 0, the game should not have so many 0.
  35. Jul 27, 2013
    I honestly don't know what there is to say about this game. There really isn't much to say. It's mediocre. The campaign is boring and feels extremely detached. Campaign missions have no real story depth, poorly designed, and fails to create an sense of the epic scale of the Eastern Front. Where did the epic tank battles go? When did the intense fighting for Berlin go? No interesting characters. Mediocre.

Gameplay is essentially the same as the previous installment, just with the interesting gameplay elements and units removed and replaced by the same unit that comes in different variations. Commander abilities are also uninteresting. Some units are blatantly better than others.

Sound and audio are essentially the same as the previous game. Around the same quality. Dialogue seems awkward and boring.

Mediocre.
  36. Jun 30, 2013
    This game is awful just friggin awful.

8 years after CoH and all we get are new skins. AI is so much dumber now... seriously the cover system is totally broken. Oh yeah and the story sucks so to add insult to injury it's worse than CoH.

Just so bad to release a game like this. It's not even friggin optimized and runs sluggish as hell!! WHY!? It looks the same as what we saw from CoH
    8 years ago. The exact same thing with slightly new skins and voices. Well whatever I just hope people read this and save their money. Trust me when I tell you it's not worth it. Expand
  37. Jan 16, 2014
    I didn't like the first CoH really at all but this is way better. My problem with this game is that it's very arcady which isn't what I was looking in a world war 2 RTS so I like Men of War way more but that's personal preference but this is still a pretty ok RTS. So what about the tecnical stuff? This game is quite pretty, not amazingly so but the effects like the explosions and smoke are well made. The optimization isn't great but it's not awful (it's certainly better than the original CoH) I have an average PC (1000 €) and it ran ok. This game has a lot of content to play, versus multiplayer and co-op. You might want to buy this when it's on sale if you're interested in an arcadey world war 2 RTS. Expand
  38. Sep 5, 2013
    Great game amazing RTS really the detail and combat mechanics are really amazing. Its a great merging of all of the ideas from the last one and a few from the DOW series too.
    Ignore the people screaming about historical facts, they are lashing out from a personal view and expect a video game to be accurate.
  39. Jan 3, 2014
    Okay, this game is fantastic and all the negative reviews on here are part of the protest by Russian gamers in response to the portrayal of the USSR in the course of World War 2 during the campaign. What else can I say? The story is great and honestly I didn't find the portrayal of soviets in a negative way at all. I found the regret of the higher command very honorable and for Isakovich to regret his use of his men after the war is to me very honorable.

40. Jul 23, 2013
    Sorry this game is a complete disappointment. I've played Company of Heroes 1 and it is one of my favourite games of all time. Now this one plays like it is written by a completely different programmer team. The story is awful, gameplay is dumbed down. Waste of time and money!
  41. Jul 3, 2013
    This is a joke. 7 years later we get this? I am referring not only to the amount of content (which is pitiful AND they are selling DLCs starting day one) but also to the scope of innovations (which is functioning in REVERSE). Gameplay wise this a dumbed down version of original coh that manages to run like on high-end gaming PCs. End of the story.
  42. Aug 26, 2013
    Not as good as CoH 1, but still a good game. Yes, it is disappointing considering that this is CoH 2 we're talking about but it's a good RTS.
    A lot of people are rating it 0 because of the campaign showing the russian war crimes or something... the thing is, you should keep in mind that everybody knows what the Nazis did horrible horrible things. But if you have any idea about history
    you should know that the Udssr and stalin weren't much better. Expand
  43. Jun 25, 2013
    Great games overall. Even though it isn't as wowing as when the first company of heroes came out, it still got a huge improvement on graphics and it is a great game. The campaign is still as good as the first one, long and emotional.
  44. Aug 8, 2013
    Everything that doesn’t show Russians as ultimate heroes is offensive to them. No wonder anyway years of post-war communist propaganda twisted so many facts that even now we can’t know the whole spectrum of cruelty and atrocities done by the Red Army.

The reason for the overwhelmingly negative users score: A bunch of closeted Stalinists have rated the game poorly. Stalin was a monster.
    Apologists for his regime are betrayers to their countrymen and humanity.

This is not to say the game is without it's faults. Other users have pointed these out, extensively. But, seriously: 1.4? (The current average user score on metacritic.) No way. 8.0 (or higher, if the game is patched more)? Definitely.
  45. Jun 30, 2013
    This game is a DO NOT BUY. Shallow content. CoH1 was far superior. Few maps, few units. Its as if they took our beloved original and consolized it. Performs poorly, maps are very uninspired and boring. Like city maps, sorry. This is a cash grab game and people that really know the first one will be sickened by this attempt.

I knew it was beyond suspect playing through the beta and not
    enjoying it. They simply took the old game and swiss cheesed it, removed sweet features and content. The only positive thing I can mention is the variable weather but even that leaves a bit to be desired. Its more like snow blizzards that come in cycles.

Beware of fake reviews. After reading most of the reviews, most of the highly rated ones are blatantly bogus.
  46. Jun 25, 2013
    To sum it all up, it's a great sequel. It amazed me how critical some of the reviews of this game were. Still, this is an honest 9 to honor a solid production.

Company of Heroes, the original, is still hailed as one of the best RTS's of all time. CoH 2 uses an enhanced version of it's engine, that adds some really nice gameplay features. At the same time, it maintains the original feel
    of that CoH 1 had. The grudging pushes to extend your frontline, the explosive sound, the chaotic dialogues, the tactical squad based combat... yep it's all still here.

I see a lot of players complaining about performance of this game, when compared to other shiny titles. Honestly, this is not your every day shiny title. The map is fully 3D and can be rotated to any angle. Almost all pixels, from the ones that make up dirt and pavement, to the ones that make up monstrous buildings, are dynamic, and can be destroyed or altered. The physics and combat feel realer than any strategy title before this. Even the original CoH took flak for being unable to run on high settings on most machines. Being a supercharged version of the same engine what did you expect?

The theatre of war is a great addition, and adds a nice way to take a break from competitive multiplayer. Small army perks can be gained through levels and combat, which adds incentive to play, while being small enough to not break the balance (which is well done now that the beta is over).

The new commander system is less taxing on your actions during gameplay. Fog of war, & vaulting are both improvements. The maps are beautiful and are incredibly interactive. Not to mention, campaign progress is stored on the cloud now!

I'm impressed. A job well done. Good rescue Sega.
  47. Feb 16, 2014
    I think Company of Heroes 2 is a great improvement over its first title. In all the time I spent playing (114h) I've never found even a single bug, crash, or any issues mentioned by other users, so I feel like this game is suffering a big boycott at this website from people who think they know very well what Stalin's policies were about during the 2nd World War. I think the game it's well developed historically speaking, taking into account that not only the Nazi faction committed atrocious crimes against humanity, and being clearly in favour of all the Russian soldiers who suffered the consequences of Stalin's war policies narrating them in the perspective of a soldier. While I don't think the storyline is anything great, it's definitely not biased.

The negative part of Company of Heroes 2 is that...: Would you like to have more commanders? Cash. Do you want more maps? Cash. Do you want more skins for your vehicles? Cash. Do you want anything we pretend to release since the first game's launch? Cash, cash, cash. I sincerely feel like I paid for the half part of a game which hasn't been finished and it's still under development.

In my opinion this is the best Real Time Strategy game at the moment. It's unique in its genre and it's clearly the one dominating in terms of quality. If you like fast paced real time strategy games, realism and the 2nd World War period, you should get it.
  48. Jul 1, 2014
    They patched it and brought it up to the quality of COH1. 8/10. The new expansion is the true successor to CoH1. Buy the Western Armies expansion and skip CoH2 if you have to.
  49. Jun 25, 2013
    Why is it okay for games like Starcraft, Call of Duty, Battlefield to remain the same every year yet people are okay with it but this game cant? Why ruin one of the best RTS games made. They have added on to it to make it even better. It's a fantastic game and well worth the wait.
  50. Aug 22, 2013
    Personally I have only played CoH 1 for multiplayer skirmishes against the PC and it is likely that CoH 2 will almost only be used in this sense. Therefore, it pleased me and my friends greatly to find out that the AI in CoH 2 has gotten a major overhaul from the predictable patterns of CoH 1.
    After getting used to the new supports, new UI and new way of playing, we are finally getting in
    the position that bashing normal AI's can be won.
    I get that a lot of people are ticked off because CoH 2 has not become a successor of CoH 1 in the strictest sense; but for me it is definitely an improvement.
  51. Sep 6, 2013
    Played this for around 8 days now and purchased it off Steam the other day so paid full price because I thought it would be worth it. I was extremely sad to realise the lack of effort and innovation they have put into this game. I thought after all this time they could have made it a lot better and all it is pretty much is COH 1 remastered with newer textures and graphics. Complete waste of money, absolute joke. Expand
  52. Aug 6, 2013
    Well I guess it boils down to this. How close to the quick do you want to cut in your depiction of war? The Russians may want to be shown as the Allies, which they were without question, but they did order and authorise firing on their own troops, so you can't have it all ways. Historical accuracy isn't going to paint the prettiest picture.

Plus, if the stories coming out of Russia just
    now are to be believed... What they are doing to their own people right now for what sexuality they are is pretty damn grim and does not in any way "represent the best of human qualities like bravery, cunning, self-sacrificial courage and honesty". That's another story though. Expand
  53. Jun 25, 2013
    Company of Heroes 2 is a game that fans have been waiting for a long time for and this time, the Eastern Front is brought into light. As a person with a history degree and teaches this subject at least once a year, this game does a decent job at show casing the tactics and weapons uses by the Russians and Germans along this vast theater of war. Where the game shows polish is on the graphical front. The first game pushed many gaming rigs of the time to the limits and to this day quite a few still can not deal with the amount of commands the computer needs to calculate. This is the case again as a new engine and higher requirements again push the limits of many computers. This is both a blessing and a curse when it comes to PC sales. I persoanlly know several people who I play the orginal CoH with that can not run this new release. To say this is a hinderance is by no means true, the game looks fantastic on the highest settings and the attention to detail is great.

The gameplay is very much the same when comparing this game to the orginal. Battles are focused around the capturing and maintainig three different resource points. Keeping these points connected allows for supplies to be added to your totals and allows players to build more units and eqiup units with better weapons and abilities. Protecting these points is of major importance since enemies can capture points, thus breaking your supply lines. Maps normally center around several choke points where the battles become tense and the outcome of the entire map could rely on the timely defensive poistioning of units or the desperate counter-attack at a dug in enemy. Armored vechiles and tanks change the entire scope of battle and can make or break an entire game. In all, the way someone plays the game is vastly different from someone else and the enviroments and changes in weather make maps different each time you play. The single-player although pretty easy for veterans of the game is a great way for people new to the series to understand the basics of the game at least from the Russians anyway. Not being able to play as the Americans or British like the last game on these maps is kind of disapointing as well as not having the Panzer Elite on the German side. This maybe addressed in the coming months by the mod community or by Relic themselves with a patch or DLC.

As for Histoical acurracy whcich some people have been railing aganist, could they have been more accurate yes, but whould it have hurt the gameplay and conistance of the experiance, most likely. For a more accurate RTS experiance there are other options out there, hell you can go and play games that you control the entire countries if you wish. If you want to play a fast paced, RTS that both looks and plays well, you can't do much better than this. For those looking to save some cash, you can get a copy of Company of Heroes from Steam and download the Eastern Front Mod for the game. The mod is pretty good, and is a great way to learn how to play CoH. Overall even with the DLC problems everyone is having with the game and the lack of factions, Company of Heroes 2 is still an excellent game, even with its flaws.
  54. Jul 10, 2013
    just buy COH1 its better than this game poorly optimized rubbish and i don't know were these developers get of charging £40 for a pc games what a rip off joke avoided it at all cost but maybe buy it in a sale when its about £25 do yourself a favor.
  55. Jul 18, 2013
    The game has the feel of COH 1, but lacks hte realism that COH 1 had. You cannot flank a Anti-tank unit and easily kill everyone. The mechanics still believe that the crew has the shield blocking the shots. Plus, the lack of defenses for the Russians make it seem that they are always on the offensive.I think its still alot of fun and brings new strageties to the table, but COH 2 should of brough the japanese into play as well, instead of bring more germans. Expand
  56. Jun 25, 2013
    WW2 is outdated for CoH. And nothing new. Like an expansion pack. :P Don't waste your money and time for this. I am still waiting for new "Modern" Company of Heroes.
  57. Jul 30, 2013
    Why is the game called Company of Heroes? It should be called Company of Cowards, Traitors and Idiots. What idiot wrote the script?

Anybody. Buy a brain for this invalid.
  58. Sep 7, 2013
    What is this? What has relic done with company of heroes?

First of all, the graphics are sh*t even if everything is maxed out, and the voice acting is sh*t and the story line is SO far off it's offensive! The weather system is f*ckin dumb and over hyped. The gameplay feels cheap. Overall this game is sh*t. Play CoH1 instead, at least its not overpriced.
  59. Jan 17, 2014
    The game is pretty good. It's not perfect of course. Graphics are very nice and the game runs very smooth on maximum settings. The gameplay is unique and fun.
    All those negative reviews comes from russian fascists who falsificates history. Red army were no heroes, they were scum, same as nazis. Neither of them are winners. So thanks to developers for not falsificating the history.
  60. Nov 10, 2013
    The game is pretty much more of Napoleon Total War, but easier to play. With Napoleon, one is a sitting duck, but the game is pretty much extremely pretty. I thought I had to play Napoleon like Rome Total war.
    The commentary soundtracks are pretty special. All in all, love the game, (the reader, not me, I already do). I don't know how the Germans actually carried out Blitzkrieg, with the
    armor, the sub-machine guns, and other parameters, when the levels of military technology are compared. The German factions after their units are upgraded, have the advantage. The Panzer Grenadier has the weaker anti-tank rifle, but is armed with the assault rifle by default. But, unusually, the German anti-tank rifle is earlier in make and marque, than the Soviet counterpart relevant gun. The assault rifle can make the guards rifles look like they are getting mowed down, one after the other in number. The star units are the panzer Grenadier, and the Guards Rifles. The upgrades to the Guard Rifle veteran experience seem to be of no consequence, they just keep on shooting the German tanks and vehicles as efficiently as they do without any experience. If you put panzer Grenadier units against Guards, armed with the sub-machine gun upgrades, it could be interesting. The German panzer Grenadiers seem to have camouflage before engagement, and the Soviet Guards the ability to spot the enemy effectively. Expand
  61. Feb 19, 2014
    In short : Not worth playing. Won't trust the Metacritic? Just check the Steam reviews, you can see some reviewers have invested 300+ hours to the game and still, they give negative reviews. The only good thing is the true sight mechanic. But then, it's not a really a strong leap in gaming. Warland EE and Warland Airland is a better game with realism in mind. The others? Bad.
    Pathfinding sucks. This alone should stop you to buy this game.
    Not to mention having to purchase tons of DLC to play a "commander". Some games still have the decency to not sell important things in DLC, but Relic thought that it would be great to sell out important things. Some game decently only sells skins or things to display, but Relic choose to be hated by selling out important things.

Congratulations to Relic for killing Company of Heroes.
  62. Apr 28, 2014
    I just bought this game on steam sale after the free weekend and can SAFELY say its not as bad as these user reviews. These user reviews are a bunch of crybaby commie russian internerds. Period. Theyll never complain about the anti-USA anti-reality pro-commy pro-stalin bias in warthunder where russian UFOs rule the game and events REGULARLY leave out US and UK contributions during events.

Now that thats out of the way lets get to the real review.

This game could actually be better than COH1 based on the latest versions balance. The DLC orgy is a little disgusting but i disagree that its pay 2 win. Armored Jaeger doctrine is a damn good base. So is the russian one with "hit the dirt". I really think you can win competitively with these non-pay doctrines.

Also, I was going in to the free weekend thinking I would hate the snow/weather but its actually really cool. You can sink tanks in frozen lakes/rivers with artillery and it will refreeze over during blizzards.

Single player is a one time thing. I think its worth going through once. The best scenarios are like carentan from COH1 where you are facing long odds defending a village.

Unit voices from COH1 are untoppable, its a step down, but im not going to mark down for that.

Honestly, if you dont know what COH2 is about and are reading this, just watch a youtube on multiplayer. Its going to be 90% multiplayer with some comp-stomp to try out new strategies and microing.

I give it -1 for the DLC ugliness and -1 for minor issues like disconnects during games.
  63. Sep 5, 2013
    on of the worst optimized games of all time with bad graphics and battles i think this game is one of the worst games i have ever played do not buy this game
  64. Dec 3, 2013
    coh2 is a masterpiece, do not listen to the stalin loving butthurted russians, everything on this game is very good my only complain is the system requirements. A message to the russians off
  65. Jul 29, 2013
    Actually I dissapointed in this game. It has many good old stereotypes about "evil russian orcs from Deep Mordor" but why I cannot eat kids and rape womens (or vice versa) to complete campaign? Where is my 80 millions raped german civilians and my big choppa to kill them thereafter?
    Relics, if you are making games about bloodlust, chaotic and stomping orcs use all the folklore and
    give us more blood for behalf of the Blood God. Expand
  66. Jun 25, 2013
    I never have technical issues with games. My computer is middle of the road, NVIDIA GTX 560 Windows 7 64 bit etc. However, this game would not start for me initially. Resolution was reduced to 800x600 (or less) the screen update was choppy. Figured out it would not go into fullscreen mode. So the first 3 hours were frustrating to say the least. From what I have seen of game play it looks ok. It is a shame that they released something that does not appear (from my perspective) to be quite ready. Expand
  67. Aug 13, 2013
    Relic should have read a history book before making this game, it's shameful the way this game was developed in every aspect, gameplay is broken, a.i. is dead-stupid, no innovation at all, not even a good paint job to make it flashier than the original, nothing, fans get nothing out of this game, it's an utter disappointment, it's that bad, this game is irreparable, hopefully the sequel will fix everything wrong with this one, relic owes it to the fans to make a good COH Expand
  68. Jun 25, 2013
    A solid entry in the CoH series if not that big of a leap forward.

As a beta tester I can attest that many of the new mechanics that the game brings to the table take a while to understand, which is probably why there are so many negative early impressions. While the Germans play similarly to factions in CoH1, the Soviets have a very unique style that takes a while to master. Until
    you become familiar with their tactics, Germans will seem to have the upper hand.

Winter is a unique element that brings a lot of change with it. Do you rush an attack before the storm hits or do you bunker down and wait it out? Better yet, what if you prepare your troops for the storm with transports and fire and attack while your enemy is unaware? Knowing how to make use of storms is often the difference between victory and defeat.

Also, for anyone complaining about day one dlc; take a look at what it actually is first. Most of the offered items are cosmetic skins for your vehicles. Throughout the course of the game you unlock skins anyways and most of the paid ones are not going to look that unique. As for the commander DLC, they all appear to variations on commanders already in the game so even if you are missing them, it’s not going to impact the game much.
  69. Dec 12, 2013
    If you talk about history DON'T bend it!! (both to reviewers and Relic)

I don't understand why people give this game "0" because it's not historically accurate. And after reading some of reviews how it's inaccurate i see that they are even further from truth.
    it's not so good game as CoH was but it's not bad, especially if you have Friends to play with (like i do)
    i would give it 6-8
    most likely 8 for new as they have just given us modding tools, but i don't have any dlc's Expand
  70. Oct 16, 2013
    After 200 hours played, I'm writing this review.
    Day 1 DLC, Pay to win commanders you can only unlock with real money and only work with multiplayer, and one of the most bafflingly bad million-dollar single player campaign I've ever seen in a game, Company of Heroes 2 fails on all fronts when it easily should have soared.

The amount of reviews that seem to skip the actual gameplay to
    focus on "It's a nice game" sicken me and only further prove the rampant decline of gaming journalism. Expand
  71. Sep 29, 2013
    This is a very good game, not as good as the highly polished original. The Russian side is overpowered, units die too easily, and the unlock grind is much too long. Otherwise, its still a lot of fun, graphics and especially sounds are fantastic.
  72. Oct 30, 2013
    The game is fine but it is not a huge step forward from the last two games. If you look that is almost a 5 years between the last game Opposing fronts". I am a huge fun of Close Combat series, and I enjoy a lot this sort of game but I am not convince that it a good game. It is ok. If you play single battle against AI it is almost impossible to finish it. The campaign is nice and not boring. I like it but the rest not at all. Expand
  73. Jul 29, 2013
    Russian army burning Russian villages with people inside? "Scorched earth" tactics? Relic, you're miserable fascist motherf*ckers. There are hundreds of villages Russia, as well as Ukraine and Belarus, burnt by nazis, some with 10 people, some with 1000. Russia is covered with memorial stones built on ashes. Search for "Operation Winterzauber", for example. COH2 is not just yet another cheesy anti-Russian crap, it's something way worse. What's next, COH3 showing Jews mass murdering innocent nazis in death camps? I'm sure developer's nazi granddads would love that. Expand
  74. Jun 26, 2013
    GOOD: The game is very fun, dynamic, and challenging. The single player missions are incredibly challenging and varied, while the multiplayer is just as chaotically fun as it was in Company of Heroes 2. The gameplay changes made, I feel, are also an improvement (cover is no longer invincibility and point capturing and defending are much easier. If find the weather very challenging and strategically stimulating) The maps available are very well-designed and fun to war around in.

BAD: The game lacks content badly, and the new commanders are fairly boring and homogeneous compared to the ones from Company of Heroes 1. Additionally, the use of the same old engine with slightly beefed up graphics has caused a performance dive.

Wait to buy it if you don't have a high-end PC. If you do have one and are hungry for a new RTS to play, it's worth the purchase.
  75. Jul 11, 2013
    What happend to Metacritic? Its has almost reached the same level as amazon.com when it comes to user reviews... so many biased post, It's almost unbearable. I feel sorry for Relic because they had a very hard time (THQ gone bankrupt) and COH2 was on the edge to be thrown in the paperbox. Sega bought Relic and they could finish this product but it was a troublesome development... under those conditions I have to say that this game is actually really good.

I'm sure that Relic will improve on this game with new units, new factions and other features... just like they did with COH1. At the moment COH1 maybe is the better game (aside from graphics) but COH1 was released in 2006 and had tons of balance/content patches and some addons, so you can expect it to be a bit better! COH2 will reach that level in the future... but you have to be patient.

_________________________

Now that this has been said, I actually like this game. I've spent about 100 hours into the online mode already (have not even played the campaign yet) and I totally love it. The early game was a bit unbalanced but yesterday (10th july) the first balance patch was released and they addressed the issues and the next patch will most likely address mid and/or late game. There will be new TOTW missions as well (I finished all TOTW1941 missions on highest difficulty, they where entertaining).

I would give this game 8/10 for its current state but because of all those hater-post I'm going to give it a 10... its really sad how the gamerbase has changed... and NO this review is not bought by relic, as some paranoid users tend to say about other people's opinions on this game.
  76. Aug 1, 2013
    Company of Heroes 2 is a good example why so many people install a pirated game first before deciding if the game is worth purchasing. The storyline is complete bull and frankly offensive. Included in this game are exaggerations, intentional historical inaccuracies and anti-Slavic sentiment.

To the makers of this game: swallow and choke on a bag of djcks.
  77. Jun 25, 2013
    the multiplayer is amazing, i'm playing since beta and the gameplay is fantastic, theater of war is intresting to variate and the campain in my opinion is better then the first one... i'm not saying that its fantastic but is variated and solid... however the multiplayer is fantastic
  78. Jul 7, 2013
    Only RTS game in this year that can shake this is Rome 2. But, I guess, Tom Chick Mr "professional" reviewer (aka Quarter to Three) will be there to spit yet another ultra-low score to yet another great game. 20 to Halo/Civ5, 60 to The Last of Us,... Being professional troll like this, but making amateur mistake of not making his Steam profile private, where you can easily see that he hasnt a single minute of CoH2 played. But that doesnt bother him while he writes his review, it seems. And another low score of 40... Im used to see from a reviewer to take in consideration all game elements while scoring the game graphics, sound, gameplay, modes,... IS this game so broken half-product like Aliens Colonial Marines, or SimCity? Is it so bad like that miscreant Duke Nukem Forever? Dont bet on that. Its really ridiculous that some people still taking Metacritics for serious. When you see something like this from someone who has a privilege to write pro reviews what to expect from users... I saw some veteran members from CoH community writing their reviews. But for every one of them there are five trolls, with at least 2 accounts down-woting positive reviews, and submiting their zeros with nothing less than hilarious reasons. Its bad because it have campaign? Gameplay is a copy of Man of War!? Theres no annihilation mode!!? Did you tried to change victory conditions in options? Shame that Metacritics doesnt include IQ testing before someone can submit a review. Expand
  79. Jan 24, 2014
    Company of Heroes 2 is a great follow-up to the hugely successful and influential Company of Heroes. In this installment gamers are taken to the Eastern Front in the battle between the Soviet Union and Germany. Like the first CoH before its expansions, the campaign is Allies only. There are a number of challenge maps, both single-player and cooperative, on each side. But the single player experience is really about prepping gamers to play online.

A number of changes have been made to the formula of CoH. For one, resource points are no longer set, but can be assigned when captured. That is to say all strategic sectors generate manpower to the group that captures them. While the uses of the three main resources are the same, players gain munitions or fuel by locking down a point, which allows fights to be over more than a few critical sectors. On the other hand its makes starving the armor-heavy German faction of fuel a much more difficult ordeal.

Line-of-sight rules have had an overhaul. Now instead of units simply having a fixed vision radius it is affected by terrain and obstructions. This means that infantry can't see over walls and your tanks won't know what's on the other side of that large building. With some of the hilly or forested maps this has brought ambush tactics to the forefront. Such infantry tactics are necessary to secure a Soviet victory. This is especially true since inexplicably tanks traps are no longer in the game. Now that armor can't be bottlenecked reconnaissance and hidden flanking units must be used to their fullest.

As of the time of this writing, while the balance has improved significantly over launch, it is not balanced nearly as well as its predecessor. I do not think this ruins the potential of the game, as I'm sure that early adopters of the first CoH will remember the years it took to balance that game and the re-balancing that was needed with the additional factions of Opposing Fronts and units from Tales of Valor. The trend has been towards a more well balanced game.

Rather than major expansions it seems that CoH2 is opting for a model of incremental DLC. Packs of a few new commanders (which function like trees in the first game) and units are being sold piecemeal. I expect that if there will be any major DLC or expansions it would be the addition of a new faction. However as an Eastern Front game that seems difficult and unlikely. Factions from the Western Front would be out of place (and are covered in the first game) and there is little room for the small-scale tactical ground wars in the Pacific theatre.

Bottom line is if you liked the first CoH I see no reason why this shouldn't be a no-brainer. As long as you remember that the first game wasn't balanced overnight you can have a lot of fun hours playing this game!

Note: I am sticking to giving a fair score of my own, but I will admit there is a part of me that wants to bump this to a 9 or 10 to help overcome the ridiculous number of people giving it a zero. For a game to warrant a zero it would need to be completely non-functional and unplayable, these are just people raging.
  80. Oct 3, 2013
    Everything that was good in COH1 or even COHO was revamped and ruined, MP is worst! automatching is horrible, the Single player is one offensive clichés after another (mostly stolen from Enemy at the gates) if Joseph Goebbels made is pc game it would be Coh2.
  81. Sep 19, 2013
    All I have to say about this game: This game is a mixed bag. A bag full of shame, microtransactions in a full priced game, vomit and diarrhea. I just can't imagine what relic was thinking when they said "Okay, these improvements are good (no they're not), make it a 50€ game, and add microtransactions". Thanks.

I checked on the game on release day, and after the atrocius beta version I
    admit I torrented it down. I knew this game WILL suck balls. Unbalanced, unoptimized and ugly like hell.

Maybe the worst-ever sequel, and worst-ever RTS game, but surely the worst RTS of the 2010s. Even Stalin vs The Martians is better than this.
  82. Jun 27, 2013
    I do not rate games based on their launch, the beauty of PC is the healing virtues of time (think Total War). You must compare this game with COH 1 to understand it the best. I have over 1200 hours logged on the first COH, and as I sit here to write there are so many things that COH 2 does better.

First, it doesn't matter what people say, the graphics are better, with more dynamic
    physics, albeit on the more arcade style which looks cooler. The HUD is so much more useful allowing much greater control over units and keeping on top of game events macro is easier.

Thank the Lord there are no more micro exploits that ruined the old game (or just made skill gaps crazy). 7 years of the old game got a lot of these vets use to crap like blocking bridges with tank traps and kt carcasses, so yeah that is definitely better. No more cloaked snipers and vehicles spying on your army from behind hedgerows or sneaking in the middle of your troops. If you love cramped and funneled fighting I am sure there will be maps made to bring back the INfamous Hochwald Gap and the Schledt, two of the most unbalanced maps people are hopelessly addicted two from the old game.

The true sight is brilliant and allows for much more creative defensive styles. Also, weather is a nice twist with a dash of realism to spice the game up over the last one.

I mostly hear about how Germans are OP, but I play as the Russians 90% of the time, and I have won over 80% of my matches, so it goes both ways based in skill and luck.

Let us not forget that the original CoH was just the Americans and Wehrmacht, so I expect to see expansion packs in the future.

This game loses score because they have gone absolutely overboard with skins and commander trees to nickel and dime all their customers. Plus the multiplayer has gone the COD route and levels no longer equal skill. The way the lobby operates, you will never know if you are about to get a beat down from a practiced team of friends with mics or face up against noobs. Plus, there is too much dropping and lag issues right now.

Thus I give this game an 8 out of 10, but in two years I expect to give it a 10 out of 10.
  83. Aug 4, 2013
    COH2 is a solid RTS with terrifying and gritty battlefield ambiance. In the explosions and gunfire, you can feel the thrill and panic of positions being overrun, of the enemy turning your flank, of ordering your squads into defensive positions to stem the enemy's advance.

A lot of the negative reviews I see have to do with the main campaign and its outcome. Possibly the campaign says
    things people don't like or agree with, hence a negative review. I personally haven't played much of the campaign, but I've played a lot of the multiplayer, and I can vouch that the multiplayer aspect is fun and well developed.

It's an excellent RTS, though perhaps the price could be a bit lower for what you receive...
  84. Jun 28, 2013
    SCORE: As a 1000+ hours veteran of CoH 1, I rate this a solid 6. I'm not going to play that childish game of rating based on other player's votes (10's and 0's). Metacritic needs to come out with a rating system that requires a driver's license I.D. to register so that accuracy isn't thrown out the window for nerd raging children.

ALL AROUND: The "nothing has changed!" reviews
    aren't as stupid as they come across. What people are saying, and I agree, is that the base game never evolved. Instead, what they did was take the same system and the same crap AI with it's same aggravating maneuvers, and "fixed" things that weren't really broken. Sure, the interface is cleaner and easier for newcomers to utilize. What is glaringly obvious is that nobody from the development team was tasked to find the problems with the original and fix them. You'll still have tanks getting stuck on a shrub, cascading a traffic jam into all of your other units, causing many more of your tanks to turn 180 degrees and show their weakest point to the enemy, getting nailed by anti tank fire in the behind while they throw a fit over a tiny land object. Foot-soldier units won't calculate that they are in a huge clusterfrack and decide to take a 3 second detour around the idiots in front of them in order to complete a move order.

The workaround for poor A.I. is still the same: micromanagement. If you didn't plan ahead the perfect point-to-point path each and every unit should take, then you're going to have to force your tanks to reverse with their gun's forward on your own for every single jammed unit. Essentially the commander of the entire front is out of the office driving tanks for the army while the rest sits around clueless.

GRAPHICS: This game was clearly developed with the same technology and requirements of the old version, thus, the developer decided that updated machines will take place of them optimizing their game. I'm left to question -WHAT?- exactly was done with all of this development time?

GAMEPLAY: This is merely CoH 1.5, a reskin and rehash of the original. There's some added gimmicks thrown in to make you think you're playing the next generation of RTS, but really all your going to be playing is a regurgitation with a bunch of things to slow down and pin your armies in order to change the pace of gameplay.

---------: If you've played the original CoH with any of the incredible modifications that the fan base churned out, you'll be sad to find that none of that talent was used to create a real CoH 2.0. We already had these doctrines in the CoH mod, Eastern Front which was FREE! We already had these graphics in the CoH mod blitzkreig... and it ran a hell of a lot better than Company of Heroes "2".

Don't buy this game until its had at least 6 months of fixes. If you're a CoH 1 fan and didn't preorder for whatever reason, you'll be bored of this game in minutes anyway. Even waiting six months, I'd wait some more until expansion packs and features that have been removed from the game are available for major discounts or free with the main game. CoH2 is just another franchise grabbing easy cash from their solid fan base while really offering nothing new that truly is worth $60.

Just Imagine what you can and will get if you spend your money elsewhere...
  85. Aug 16, 2013
    The game itself was decidedly average, but what I find most intriguing is the single player story and peoples reaction to it. First of all its clear that all the Russians who claim that they never burnt down their own house's during the war, they clearly need to read a real history book not a doctored one about how awesome the soviets are I'm not saying they burned them with people inside but has ANYONE HEARD OF A SCORCHED EARTH POLICY? You know when you deny the enemy vital supplies and positions and defences by destroying farms, homesteads, equipment, roads, rails, telephone lines, you know anything VALUBALE? Its been documented that the Soviets destroyed vast tracts of land to deny the Nazi's anything that they could use against them. It shames me that we are willing to forget the inconvenient parts of history like what happened to the Poles both in the east and west, (yes in the west we didn't include the Poles in the World War II victory parade in London because we were afraid of the Russians in 1946). Its a travesty what happened to the Polish people and the distorted view of history that both this game and the people who have commented here only shows an ignorance to the real facts of World War II. No this is not a pro Nazi-Rant, they didn't get anywhere near what they deserved, but don't sit there and type pro-soviet crap under the guise of the game being pro-Nazi propaganda the game is nothing of the sort. And it personally angers me that the Russians get up on there high horse when they signed a non-aggression pact with Hitler in 1939 then invaded Poland and then Invaded Finland but in 1941 when the Germans invaded acted like they were standing on the moral high ground? But that's lost to history isn't it cant have anyone catching on to it not just being simply Good vs. Bad and nothing else at stake. AND THAT spits in the face of EVERY veteran that served. Remember the lessons they had to die to teach us people. Expand
  86. Jun 26, 2013
    Awesome game. Not revolutionary, but more of the same of what made Company of Heroes great and that is no bad thing.

If you liked CoH you should love this.
  87. Jun 25, 2013
    At long last, after so many months, THQ bankruptcy, and many hard moments for CoH community, this game is finally here. Its hard to believe, really. Game is above any of my expectations, regarding hard THQ times and limited budget. I dont know whats the point writing a review about the game which everyone had a chance to try on Steam these past weeks. As a result CoH2 is top seller on Steam atm. Because it sucks? I dont think so. This is not the game where it was insanelly overhiped (cough Bioshock Infinite cough), and you bought it blindly, and later complaining to fall on critic scores. CoH2 had Open Beta, and whoever wanted it he got it.
    Troll den, such as Metacritic, will be a heaven for those, hardly that insanity from Steam forums wont spill here:
    "OMG, this game is just an expansion, CoH 1.5 at its best, rip-ooooooff"
    "OMG, this game is nothing like CoH, its completelly different"
    "They are showing us (Russians) as monsters"
    "They are using commies to show them like heroes, and theres no Americans in this game, boo-hoo"
    "Russians are completelly OP"
    "Germans are OP"
    "You can buy skins like DLC, this is pay 2 win gameeeeeeee"
    Not to mention StarCraft 2, Men of War, and World in Conflict trolls stalking forums and You Tube comment sections. Some of them are submited their reviews already. Great visuals (vehicles are more detailed than in most other genre games), Great voiceover, just like Im used from Relic, and epic soundtrack. This game isnt perfect, I would give it 9, but Im forced to give it 10 because of these reasons.
  88. Jul 21, 2013
    after completing the campaign i had to change my score from 10 to 6 because of how much i was offended by the content of the campaign, this game is completely disrepectful to the russian people and their sacrifices on world war 2, it makes germans looks like saints (forgetting to mention completely atrocities like holocaust and concentration camps) and russians like absolute monsters,the character development is completely unexistant,their actions lack of motivation but at least you can skip cinematics which i suggest for more players to do,the story is really terrible, and the protagonist completely unlikable, this not the truth people,this is antirussian cold war propaganda at a new level,it makes enemy at the gates look like a prosoviet film, the best thing that relic could do was to skip cinematics completely and just give us more missions, if you can skip all that you get a really good game and it's sad that is ruined Expand
  89. Jun 25, 2013
    The performance of this game is one of the worst ever. They hired the cheapest worst programer for this game.The game crash like 75% of the time. The voices are terrible, at the level of Men of war. They hired the cheapest voices actor out there. The game have almost no multiplayer maps. They are selling skins and doctrines as dlc. They removed the lobby, so now you are forced to play with random players, including laggers, nubs and quitters. In an online match there is always some1 who is kicked or drop in the first 5 minutes of the match, so yeah you end up playing with the cpu or vs the cpu because the amount of people suffering performance issues is huge. There is absolutely nothing better in this sequel. Graphics are almost the same as CoH1. Its a huge waste of money. Probably the guys who did CoH1 no longer work in relic. The game is a huge failure. Also, if you were 1 of those who used to play on maps like gap or scheldt forget about them because you wont see a similar maps on this game. Oh 1 more thing, they also removed the chat rooms. Relic/sega/thq NEVER AGAIN! Expand
  90. Jun 25, 2013
    For the love of god DON'T BUY IT! This game is a failure on so many levels. Firstly as some of you could have guessed somebody was going to complain about, day one DLC, I don't care what anybody says content created pre-release should be in the game, especially when it is important content like commanders etc. Secondly the campaign is horribly done they have put almost no work into this campaign making it a chore to play through (besides that fact like some other users have pointed out I feel like the campaign is a slight bit racist towards Russians). Thirdly as you might also have guessed almost NOTHING HAS CHANGED seriously this is just ridiculous, basically what they have added is a semi-working version of true sight, weather (snow), Russians. As far as I can tell they haven't done a thing to improve the AI nor have they improved on any of the other hampering game mechanics. Really I don't see where all the work they claim has gone into this project is because as far as I can tell this is a DLC adding the Russians and little else. If your argument is if it works why change it then one they shouldn't make almost the exact same game and sell it as if it's a new release, second company of heroes has a lot of room for improvement so don't try to ruse people into believing the game was perfect. Expand
  91. Feb 24, 2014
    Not as well balanced as the original with less interesting units, abilities and combos. As of me writing this, Relic is finally getting around to updating the matchmaking system (about 9 years late), so hopefully the changes are improvements.

Russia seems to have brought hell down on Relic. One point that I can sympathize over; its company of HEROES, where in the single player campaign
    you follow a traitor and cry baby Russian who was anything but a hero.

In multiplayer they have greatly reduced the importance of countering units with other units. It has been dulled down by simply bringing numbers and using range attacks. Hopefully this gets fixed in later patches and this game lives up to what we would expect as a continuation of Company of Heroes.
  92. Nov 29, 2013
    I played the beta, seemed it would turn to be ok, But afther a few months i baught it cheap on steam. And i already regret it. Gameplay does not come near to the first one. In part one you could choose between playing with a lot of micro (pvp) or build a nice defence and play relexed. This last way of relexed playing is not possilbe anymore. Even againts normal cpu i have to micro all over the battlefield all the time. I do not always want to play like that. German armor seemed to be made of glas, it takes ages to kill infantery with a normal p4. Im spending more time repairing tanks and heal my inf then im actualy fighting. Its just a bad choice to choose this engine. Perhaps its a nice game for the people who love playing against other people. But i cant play it as a relexed game like i did coh1. Imo crap. I believe the makers dont understand what all the strengts where of the first part. Furthermore they make this game a milking cow with all their dlc's. All these commanders with basicly all the same abilitys but a bit reshuffeled.

The popcap is way to low, you can only have a handfull of units. No way you can leave a defence force at one place because you just cant afford it. You just move to one point to the other, finding out that the opponent just recaps the places you just captured. Boring.

So disappointed. lucky i can still play the first part.
  93. Sep 14, 2013
    ZEROes the community here on metacritic is making metacritic not even work properly, this game isn't a ZERO how ridiculous, either hate it or love it, that's not what metacritic measures, give it a score. Ok this game does seem like a lot of sequels go backward instead of forward, I don't believe this game is any better at all from COH 1, but yet it is a good stand alone Russian front playable game, the snow I thought would be corny, but I really like it. Its kind of like COH in respect to gameplay the Russian infantry is about as strong as US infantry and tanks and cars do pretty much the same thing. I like the commanders but there is not a forked tech tree you pick a commander and you go linear down their tech. This game isn't a step forward its a good game, but it doesn't move the ball down the field at all, Expand
  94. Jun 25, 2013
    Campaign is waaaayyy too easy even on highest setting you can't even lose, also the missions are too short. Theathre of war is also waay too easy and it lack co-op campaigns (only 4??) and a lobby system.

Multiplayer is full of units nobody ever uses (t-34, guards, IS-2, pak40 ETC.) also the multiplayer have the same sh*t network system as the other Relic games. Also dissapointed that
    again CoH releases with only 2 armies...

Would have gotten a 9/10 in 2006 but for 2013 very dissapointent, almost no improvement from the original.. not worth 60 euros.
  95. Jan 8, 2014
    The "Mein Kampf" of videogames. Avoid this piece of revisionism. Makes me wonder if Relic are neo-nazi's or just plain ignorant. Maybe both. This game should be banned
  96. Jul 27, 2013
    The game is absolutely a joke. No plot, no likable characters, no gameplay. Only a trolling of fellings of a some group of man. Absolutely bad game.
  97. Sep 20, 2013
    I'm not gonna say it's good.. cause it isn't.

Anyway, there are way too many russians complaining about "anti-soviet" and "anti-russian". First off, anti-soviet would be good. Second of all, it's not anti-russian. It's just that what you think is real history is just what your government tries to teach you, that they were the nicest and best people on earth, it's natural.

Unfortunately, commissars were often bad people. They sacrificed loads of soldiers. Many russians during the time were uneducated and therefore perhaps not the smartest people on earth, because that's what communism does. It relies on the mass to be uneducated. I don't quite understand however, how they can portray them as coward-ish. Well, some people only went to war when drunk, many in-fact. But they still loyally charged when told to, they had no choice after all. They might have taken some aspects a little too harshly, but overall it's not as "unrealistic" as some people here say. Then again, what they think is right is very unrealistic.

Either way, this game fails to bring in new content and new ideas, the balance is off in some places, and I assure you it is not only the germans that are "unbalanced". I would recommend just going back to company of heroes 1 instead, it's nicer and more innovative.
  98. Jul 3, 2013
    Relic should disappear at that time.
    It is greatly changed for the worse compared with the preceding crop.
    In AI, even being normal becomes strong and the human being who is unused to do RTS will leave this game immediately.
    Moreover, thanks to the worthless RPG element, the workability increased.
    It did the user of the preceding crop plainly and RELIC which accepted only the opinion
    of the partial core user destroyed this series. Expand
  99. Jun 30, 2013
    I really enjoy this game. I played the first CoH and I think CoH2 is very similar just everything is more balanced and more enhanced. I like this RTS because i am not a crazy fast 120 clicks per minute type of person and I still have to time use all my abilities and strategy. It is really about reading your opponents styles and countering them with the men you have. This is my favorite RTS.
  100. Jul 18, 2013
    There is no multiplayer balancing at all. German's are completely overpowered once they get tanks and anti infantry. Soviets have about 2 mins at the start where they have a slight edge, then it's auto win for germans.

Do not buy this game if you like multiplayer! 75% of the players take german. This gives you an idea of how overpowered they are.

I mean the German have anti tank
    missles (not bazookas) that out range a tank. Ridiculous. Expand