• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Jun 25, 2013
2.0

1. Apr 13, 2014
    Please ignore the reviews below 7. This game has been attacked by Russians who can`t tell what is true about WWII in any case.

I just picked this game few days ago and man, it is so good! A wonderful RTS set in horrible days of World War II. In singleplayer campaign that takes about 12 hours, you get to play the Soviets (Russians).Everything here is realistic. Very bad Red Army made

In singleplayer campaign that takes about 12 hours, you get to play the Soviets (Russians).Everything here is realistic. Very bad Red Army made of amateurs, not able to command anything, with inferior commanders, coward soldiers and poor machinery. They even shot a lot of their own people for no reason. This is all recreated in the game, the player depends mostly on Soviet cannonfodder in the first missions with it getting a little better with poor T34 tanks for example.

There are some problems with the game.
    1. In sp you can`t play as the Germans.
    2. It needs a very strong pc to run good (but when you do the graphics are very nice).
    3. AI can be very stupid at times.

Nonetheless this game provides very realistic battles in a realistic enough setting so it is very satisfying, even when you play as Stalin lover.

Wonderful, beautiful game 10/10.
  2. Jun 26, 2013
    Is it better than the original? NO
    Is it a great game? YES
    Is it a worthy sequel? JUST Having played the original for 7 long years I must say that it has to be the longest, continuously played game of my life. 2 succeeding PC builds always had it installed. I had my doubts with Relic but this one is A-OK. The gameplay is not as unpredictable and as positively protracted as the first
    Is it better than the original? NO
    Is it a great game? YES
    Is it a worthy sequel? JUST

Having played the original for 7 long years I must say that it has to be the longest, continuously played game of my life. 2 succeeding PC builds always had it installed. I had my doubts with Relic but this one is A-OK. The gameplay is not as unpredictable and as positively protracted as the first which takes away a little bit of excitement but you still get loads of fun, explosions and other good stuff in its place. Let's hope the patches improve the balance just a bit more as the high population count of units is an issue. I don't think all the negative reviews accurately portray this still good game so don't let the naysayers discourage you. If you want a very good RTS, this is definitely worth your time and money.
  3. Jan 2, 2014
    Well don't we all love a co-ordinated score bombing: It is true that the campaign for this game distorts the history. However it is a GAME. pretty clearly most of the Russians scoring this 0/10 for insulting their history never played the game, and simply posted their venting reviews. As for the game being too much like Company of Heroes 1, or an inferior game, I disagree. There isWell don't we all love a co-ordinated score bombing: It is true that the campaign for this game distorts the history. However it is a GAME. pretty clearly most of the Russians scoring this 0/10 for insulting their history never played the game, and simply posted their venting reviews. As for the game being too much like Company of Heroes 1, or an inferior game, I disagree. There is definitely an evolution of ideas at play here. And Relic worked hard and long to create a framework for gamers to enjoy a lot here.

The way the game was diced up to be bought as DLC is pretty terrible. Selling vehicle skins for dollars a pop is absurd when we are talking about 50 skins and probably more than $100! Sega are you out of your minds? That is ABSURD! Dudes give us an in-game workshop to make our own color schemes! don't be so greedy!

Despite the over-priced DLC and the anti-Soviet propaganda. There is a good game in here. Definitely wait till it is on sale, and especially the expansion packs which are way-over-priced. Ignore the skins and load up on 'commanders' when they are cheap.

And enjoy a good, high-paced RTS. 8/10 with a couple of points added to address the ridiculous 1.8 user score.

In terms of gameplay this game is a painful exercise in futile micro-management. If anyone out there wants to play a game that is faithful to actual military combat in WWII do not get this game. instead you should hunt out an old combat of Close Combat V invasion Normandy which is the same basic idea as this game but 1000 times better!

Orctowngrot.
  4. Sep 12, 2014
    -FACTS:
    Company Of Heroes is also really moddable. units can be added ( animating too), and there are many succesfull modifications and bonus single player Campaign Generator multiplayer mods .
    - HOW I FEEL : Wow! i likE the gameplay , whatever 1000 russian provocators cry about stOry, -skip the story - the GAMEPLAY is NICE ! strong Emotion can be sensed from situataions, and i get
    -FACTS:
    - HOW I FEEL :
    the GAMEPLAY is NICE ! strong Emotion can be sensed from situataions, and i get excited from what cool things i see as i move to next area in game. Production quality shows, im happy this game was made!
    ___ ( bytheway:
    (sad that also Metacritic CoH2 page has been targeted by russian Bureau of Propaganda :(
  5. Oct 3, 2014
    It seems all the negative reviews are personal opinions and other thoughts still a epic game.

Company of Heroes 2 is a incredible addition and better than its predecessor. Tho i wish they had the america's and brits added into the game they don't, it feels like a step back for me. They must learned a lot from the first game and its expansion because every time they put out a new game

They must learned a lot from the first game and its expansion because every time they put out a new game it adds more depth and better gameplay and it shows. CH2 has a good story better graphics and much better campaign the game feels great with new system's and gameplay i cant wait to play the expansions.

Worth $60
  6. Jan 13, 2014
    - terrible,stupid sp (full of worst kind of propaganda by the way :) )

+fun and diverse mp and that is only thing that i care for. Many units and strategies. Good balance.
  7. Nov 18, 2013
    Ignore the negative reviews.. Most are by Russians who wouldn't know real history if they were shoved into a gulag and made to peel potatoes. This is an exceptional RTS a refined version of the original COH and as historically accurate as a game can get without it being boring. For the RTS fan this is a real treat.
  8. Aug 8, 2014
    company of heroes 2 is worse than company of heroes 1, but i think the game is not very bad. I give nine score cz many user give 0, the game should not have so many 0.
  9. May 7, 2014
    This is one of the best games I've played. The battles are epic, I play online all the time. I've never played the campaign yet, but I've put almost 300 hours into online and it's so amazing! The only game I play as much as this is Dota, Civilization V, and StarCraft II.
  10. Sep 24, 2013
    Excellent game, and a SPOT ON portrayal of the communists. I know that a lot of russians take exception to their dark and terrible history, in which they have NOTHING to be proud of and EVERYTHING to be shamed of, but they should not expect the rest of the world to indulge in that fantasy.

Even many russian youth are embracing far-right activity, as they know full well how evil and wrong communism is on so many levels.

Kudos to the developers for creating such a wonderful game that ACCURATELY portrays the commies for what they were.
  11. Jan 27, 2015
    These reviews are hilarious. There are very clearly a band of Russian's posting because they do not like the plot of the game where they are posted as the bogeyman... forgetting that this is a freaking game.... comment on the game, not your political bend to quell free speech.

The actual gameplay, of the game for which this thread is meant, is actually pretty fun no matter what nation you come from.

*sigh* What loons.... Go back to drinking vodka and invading other nations? Whatever...
  12. Jan 5, 2014
    i love this game. great graphic, gameplay and historically accurate. Just like in the history book, despite what some brainwashed individuals here claim. What more could you possibly want from a game.
  13. Sep 5, 2013
    Great game amazing RTS really the detail and combat mechanics are really amazing. Its a great merging of all of the ideas from the last one and a few from the DOW series too.
    Ignore the people screaming about historical facts, they are lashing out from a personal view and expect a video game to be accurate.
  14. Jun 25, 2013
    Company of Heroes 2 is a game that fans have been waiting for a long time for and this time, the Eastern Front is brought into light. As a person with a history degree and teaches this subject at least once a year, this game does a decent job at show casing the tactics and weapons uses by the Russians and Germans along this vast theater of war. Where the game shows polish is on theCompany of Heroes 2 is a game that fans have been waiting for a long time for and this time, the Eastern Front is brought into light. As a person with a history degree and teaches this subject at least once a year, this game does a decent job at show casing the tactics and weapons uses by the Russians and Germans along this vast theater of war. Where the game shows polish is on the graphical front. The first game pushed many gaming rigs of the time to the limits and to this day quite a few still can not deal with the amount of commands the computer needs to calculate. This is the case again as a new engine and higher requirements again push the limits of many computers. This is both a blessing and a curse when it comes to PC sales. I persoanlly know several people who I play the orginal CoH with that can not run this new release. To say this is a hinderance is by no means true, the game looks fantastic on the highest settings and the attention to detail is great.

The gameplay is very much the same when comparing this game to the orginal. Battles are focused around the capturing and maintainig three different resource points. Keeping these points connected allows for supplies to be added to your totals and allows players to build more units and eqiup units with better weapons and abilities. Protecting these points is of major importance since enemies can capture points, thus breaking your supply lines. Maps normally center around several choke points where the battles become tense and the outcome of the entire map could rely on the timely defensive poistioning of units or the desperate counter-attack at a dug in enemy. Armored vechiles and tanks change the entire scope of battle and can make or break an entire game. In all, the way someone plays the game is vastly different from someone else and the enviroments and changes in weather make maps different each time you play. The single-player although pretty easy for veterans of the game is a great way for people new to the series to understand the basics of the game at least from the Russians anyway. Not being able to play as the Americans or British like the last game on these maps is kind of disapointing as well as not having the Panzer Elite on the German side. This maybe addressed in the coming months by the mod community or by Relic themselves with a patch or DLC.

As for Histoical acurracy whcich some people have been railing aganist, could they have been more accurate yes, but whould it have hurt the gameplay and conistance of the experiance, most likely. For a more accurate RTS experiance there are other options out there, hell you can go and play games that you control the entire countries if you wish. If you want to play a fast paced, RTS that both looks and plays well, you can't do much better than this. For those looking to save some cash, you can get a copy of Company of Heroes from Steam and download the Eastern Front Mod for the game. The mod is pretty good, and is a great way to learn how to play CoH. Overall even with the DLC problems everyone is having with the game and the lack of factions, Company of Heroes 2 is still an excellent game, even with its flaws.
  15. Jan 3, 2014
    Okay, this game is fantastic and all the negative reviews on here are part of the protest by Russian gamers in response to the portrayal of the USSR in the course of World War 2 during the campaign. What else can I say? The story is great and honestly I didn't find the portrayal of soviets in a negative way at all. I found the regret of the higher command very honorable and for IsakovichOkay, this game is fantastic and all the negative reviews on here are part of the protest by Russian gamers in response to the portrayal of the USSR in the course of World War 2 during the campaign. What else can I say? The story is great and honestly I didn't find the portrayal of soviets in a negative way at all. I found the regret of the higher command very honorable and for Isakovich to regret his use of his men after the war is to me very honorable.

16. Jun 25, 2013
    Great games overall. Even though it isn't as wowing as when the first company of heroes came out, it still got a huge improvement on graphics and it is a great game. The campaign is still as good as the first one, long and emotional.
  17. Jun 12, 2015
    very solid strategy game indeed, it delivers good the atmosphere of WW2, i dont really care if some of things you do in the game never happened and i could care less for the many many people that scream Russia has not done this... how often they showed normal German soldiers as very evil and ruthless in many other games? yeah almost always but if it happens a bit to the Russian everybodyvery solid strategy game indeed, it delivers good the atmosphere of WW2, i dont really care if some of things you do in the game never happened and i could care less for the many many people that scream Russia has not done this... how often they showed normal German soldiers as very evil and ruthless in many other games? yeah almost always but if it happens a bit to the Russian everybody goes crazy, also i cant really rate it higher because of the greedy commanders prices other that that the game is well worth for any WW2 fan.. Expand
  18. Aug 8, 2013
    Everything that doesn’t show Russians as ultimate heroes is offensive to them. No wonder anyway years of post-war communist propaganda twisted so many facts that even now we can’t know the whole spectrum of cruelty and atrocities done by the Red Army.

The reason for the overwhelmingly negative users score: A bunch of closeted Stalinists have rated the game poorly. Stalin was a monster. Apologists for his regime are betrayers to their countrymen and humanity.

This is not to say the game is without it's faults. Other users have pointed these out, extensively. But, seriously: 1.4? (The current average user score on metacritic.) No way. 8.0 (or higher, if the game is patched more)? Definitely.
  19. Jan 17, 2014
    The game is pretty good. It's not perfect of course. Graphics are very nice and the game runs very smooth on maximum settings. The gameplay is unique and fun.
    All those negative reviews comes from russian fascists who falsificates history. Red army were no heroes, they were scum, same as nazis. Neither of them are winners. So thanks to developers for not falsificating the history.
  20. Feb 16, 2014
    I think Company of Heroes 2 is a great improvement over its first title. In all the time I spent playing (114h) I've never found even a single bug, crash, or any issues mentioned by other users, so I feel like this game is suffering a big boycott at this website from people who think they know very well what Stalin's policies were about during the 2nd World War. I think the game it's wellI think Company of Heroes 2 is a great improvement over its first title. In all the time I spent playing (114h) I've never found even a single bug, crash, or any issues mentioned by other users, so I feel like this game is suffering a big boycott at this website from people who think they know very well what Stalin's policies were about during the 2nd World War. I think the game it's well developed historically speaking, taking into account that not only the Nazi faction committed atrocious crimes against humanity, and being clearly in favour of all the Russian soldiers who suffered the consequences of Stalin's war policies narrating them in the perspective of a soldier. While I don't think the storyline is anything great, it's definitely not biased.

The negative part of Company of Heroes 2 is that...: Would you like to have more commanders? Cash. Do you want more maps? Cash. Do you want more skins for your vehicles? Cash. Do you want anything we pretend to release since the first game's launch? Cash, cash, cash. I sincerely feel like I paid for the half part of a game which hasn't been finished and it's still under development.

In my opinion this is the best Real Time Strategy game at the moment. It's unique in its genre and it's clearly the one dominating in terms of quality. If you like fast paced real time strategy games, realism and the 2nd World War period, you should get it.
  21. Aug 22, 2013
    Personally I have only played CoH 1 for multiplayer skirmishes against the PC and it is likely that CoH 2 will almost only be used in this sense. Therefore, it pleased me and my friends greatly to find out that the AI in CoH 2 has gotten a major overhaul from the predictable patterns of CoH 1.
    After getting used to the new supports, new UI and new way of playing, we are finally getting in the position that bashing normal AI's can be won.
    I get that a lot of people are ticked off because CoH 2 has not become a successor of CoH 1 in the strictest sense; but for me it is definitely an improvement.
  22. Jul 1, 2014
    They patched it and brought it up to the quality of COH1. 8/10. The new expansion is the true successor to CoH1. Buy the Western Armies expansion and skip CoH2 if you have to.
  23. Jun 25, 2013
    Why is it okay for games like Starcraft, Call of Duty, Battlefield to remain the same every year yet people are okay with it but this game cant? Why ruin one of the best RTS games made. They have added on to it to make it even better. It's a fantastic game and well worth the wait.
  24. Nov 10, 2013
    The game is pretty much more of Napoleon Total War, but easier to play. With Napoleon, one is a sitting duck, but the game is pretty much extremely pretty. I thought I had to play Napoleon like Rome Total war.
    The commentary soundtracks are pretty special. All in all, love the game, (the reader, not me, I already do). I don't know how the Germans actually carried out Blitzkrieg, with the armor, the sub-machine guns, and other parameters, when the levels of military technology are compared. The German factions after their units are upgraded, have the advantage. The Panzer Grenadier has the weaker anti-tank rifle, but is armed with the assault rifle by default. But, unusually, the German anti-tank rifle is earlier in make and marque, than the Soviet counterpart relevant gun. The assault rifle can make the guards rifles look like they are getting mowed down, one after the other in number. The star units are the panzer Grenadier, and the Guards Rifles. The upgrades to the Guard Rifle veteran experience seem to be of no consequence, they just keep on shooting the German tanks and vehicles as efficiently as they do without any experience. If you put panzer Grenadier units against Guards, armed with the sub-machine gun upgrades, it could be interesting. The German panzer Grenadiers seem to have camouflage before engagement, and the Soviet Guards the ability to spot the enemy effectively.
  25. Dec 3, 2013
    coh2 is a masterpiece, do not listen to the stalin loving butthurted russians, everything on this game is very good my only complain is the system requirements. A message to the russians off
  26. Apr 28, 2014
    I just bought this game on steam sale after the free weekend and can SAFELY say its not as bad as these user reviews. These user reviews are a bunch of crybaby commie russian internerds. Period. Theyll never complain about the anti-USA anti-reality pro-commy pro-stalin bias in warthunder where russian UFOs rule the game and events REGULARLY leave out US and UK contributions duringI just bought this game on steam sale after the free weekend and can SAFELY say its not as bad as these user reviews. These user reviews are a bunch of crybaby commie russian internerds. Period. Theyll never complain about the anti-USA anti-reality pro-commy pro-stalin bias in warthunder where russian UFOs rule the game and events REGULARLY leave out US and UK contributions during events.

Now that thats out of the way lets get to the real review.

This game could actually be better than COH1 based on the latest versions balance. The DLC orgy is a little disgusting but i disagree that its pay 2 win. Armored Jaeger doctrine is a damn good base. So is the russian one with "hit the dirt". I really think you can win competitively with these non-pay doctrines.

Also, I was going in to the free weekend thinking I would hate the snow/weather but its actually really cool. You can sink tanks in frozen lakes/rivers with artillery and it will refreeze over during blizzards.

Single player is a one time thing. I think its worth going through once. The best scenarios are like carentan from COH1 where you are facing long odds defending a village.

Unit voices from COH1 are untoppable, its a step down, but im not going to mark down for that.

Honestly, if you dont know what COH2 is about and are reading this, just watch a youtube on multiplayer. Its going to be 90% multiplayer with some comp-stomp to try out new strategies and microing.

I give it -1 for the DLC ugliness and -1 for minor issues like disconnects during games.
  27. Sep 29, 2013
    This is a very good game, not as good as the highly polished original. The Russian side is overpowered, units die too easily, and the unlock grind is much too long. Otherwise, its still a lot of fun, graphics and especially sounds are fantastic.
  28. Dec 12, 2013
    If you talk about history DON'T bend it!! (both to reviewers and Relic)

I don't understand why people give this game "0" because it's not historically accurate. And after reading some of reviews how it's inaccurate i see that they are even further from truth. it's not so good game as CoH was but it's not bad, especially if you have Friends to play with (like i do) i would give it 6-8
    If you talk about history DON'T bend it!! (both to reviewers and Relic)

i would give it 6-8 most likely 8 for new as they have just given us modding tools, but i don't have any dlc's
  29. Jun 25, 2013
    A solid entry in the CoH series if not that big of a leap forward.

A solid entry in the CoH series if not that big of a leap forward.

As a beta tester I can attest that many of the new mechanics that the game brings to the table take a while to understand, which is probably why there are so many negative early impressions. While the Germans play similarly to factions in CoH1, the Soviets have a very unique style that takes a while to master. Until you become familiar with their tactics, Germans will seem to have the upper hand.

Winter is a unique element that brings a lot of change with it. Do you rush an attack before the storm hits or do you bunker down and wait it out? Better yet, what if you prepare your troops for the storm with transports and fire and attack while your enemy is unaware? Knowing how to make use of storms is often the difference between victory and defeat.

Also, for anyone complaining about day one dlc; take a look at what it actually is first. Most of the offered items are cosmetic skins for your vehicles. Throughout the course of the game you unlock skins anyways and most of the paid ones are not going to look that unique. As for the commander DLC, they all appear to variations on commanders already in the game so even if you are missing them, it’s not going to impact the game much.
  30. Jun 26, 2013
    GOOD: The game is very fun, dynamic, and challenging. The single player missions are incredibly challenging and varied, while the multiplayer is just as chaotically fun as it was in Company of Heroes 2. The gameplay changes made, I feel, are also an improvement (cover is no longer invincibility and point capturing and defending are much easier. If find the weather very challenging andGOOD: The game is very fun, dynamic, and challenging. The single player missions are incredibly challenging and varied, while the multiplayer is just as chaotically fun as it was in Company of Heroes 2. The gameplay changes made, I feel, are also an improvement (cover is no longer invincibility and point capturing and defending are much easier. If find the weather very challenging and strategically stimulating) The maps available are very well-designed and fun to war around in.

BAD: The game lacks content badly, and the new commanders are fairly boring and homogeneous compared to the ones from Company of Heroes 1. Additionally, the use of the same old engine with slightly beefed up graphics has caused a performance dive.

Wait to buy it if you don't have a high-end PC. If you do have one and are hungry for a new RTS to play, it's worth the purchase.
  31. Jul 11, 2013
    What happend to Metacritic? Its has almost reached the same level as amazon.com when it comes to user reviews... so many biased post, It's almost unbearable. I feel sorry for Relic because they had a very hard time (THQ gone bankrupt) and COH2 was on the edge to be thrown in the paperbox. Sega bought Relic and they could finish this product but it was a troublesome development... underWhat happend to Metacritic? Its has almost reached the same level as amazon.com when it comes to user reviews... so many biased post, It's almost unbearable. I feel sorry for Relic because they had a very hard time (THQ gone bankrupt) and COH2 was on the edge to be thrown in the paperbox. Sega bought Relic and they could finish this product but it was a troublesome development... under those conditions I have to say that this game is actually really good.

I'm sure that Relic will improve on this game with new units, new factions and other features... just like they did with COH1. At the moment COH1 maybe is the better game (aside from graphics) but COH1 was released in 2006 and had tons of balance/content patches and some addons, so you can expect it to be a bit better! COH2 will reach that level in the future... but you have to be patient.

_________________________

Now that this has been said, I actually like this game. I've spent about 100 hours into the online mode already (have not even played the campaign yet) and I totally love it. The early game was a bit unbalanced but yesterday (10th july) the first balance patch was released and they addressed the issues and the next patch will most likely address mid and/or late game. There will be new TOTW missions as well (I finished all TOTW1941 missions on highest difficulty, they where entertaining).

I would give this game 8/10 for its current state but because of all those hater-post I'm going to give it a 10... its really sad how the gamerbase has changed... and NO this review is not bought by relic, as some paranoid users tend to say about other people's opinions on this game.
  32. Jun 27, 2013
    I do not rate games based on their launch, the beauty of PC is the healing virtues of time (think Total War). You must compare this game with COH 1 to understand it the best. I have over 1200 hours logged on the first COH, and as I sit here to write there are so many things that COH 2 does better.

First, it doesn't matter what people say, the graphics are better, with more dynamic physics, albeit on the more arcade style which looks cooler. The HUD is so much more useful allowing much greater control over units and keeping on top of game events macro is easier.

Thank the Lord there are no more micro exploits that ruined the old game (or just made skill gaps crazy). 7 years of the old game got a lot of these vets use to crap like blocking bridges with tank traps and kt carcasses, so yeah that is definitely better. No more cloaked snipers and vehicles spying on your army from behind hedgerows or sneaking in the middle of your troops. If you love cramped and funneled fighting I am sure there will be maps made to bring back the INfamous Hochwald Gap and the Schledt, two of the most unbalanced maps people are hopelessly addicted two from the old game.

The true sight is brilliant and allows for much more creative defensive styles. Also, weather is a nice twist with a dash of realism to spice the game up over the last one.

I mostly hear about how Germans are OP, but I play as the Russians 90% of the time, and I have won over 80% of my matches, so it goes both ways based in skill and luck.

Let us not forget that the original CoH was just the Americans and Wehrmacht, so I expect to see expansion packs in the future.

This game loses score because they have gone absolutely overboard with skins and commander trees to nickel and dime all their customers. Plus the multiplayer has gone the COD route and levels no longer equal skill. The way the lobby operates, you will never know if you are about to get a beat down from a practiced team of friends with mics or face up against noobs. Plus, there is too much dropping and lag issues right now.

Thus I give this game an 8 out of 10, but in two years I expect to give it a 10 out of 10.
  33. Jun 25, 2013
    the multiplayer is amazing, i'm playing since beta and the gameplay is fantastic, theater of war is intresting to variate and the campain in my opinion is better then the first one... i'm not saying that its fantastic but is variated and solid... however the multiplayer is fantastic
  34. Jan 17, 2014
    It’s a beautiful, gritty and spectacular strategy game, and while it doesn’t do much particularly new, it doesn’t have to. [VG] Enough said! For a RTS its 9/10 in my book
  35. Jul 7, 2013
    Only RTS game in this year that can shake this is Rome 2. But, I guess, Tom Chick Mr "professional" reviewer (aka Quarter to Three) will be there to spit yet another ultra-low score to yet another great game. 20 to Halo/Civ5, 60 to The Last of Us,... Being professional troll like this, but making amateur mistake of not making his Steam profile private, where you can easily see that heOnly RTS game in this year that can shake this is Rome 2. But, I guess, Tom Chick Mr "professional" reviewer (aka Quarter to Three) will be there to spit yet another ultra-low score to yet another great game. 20 to Halo/Civ5, 60 to The Last of Us,... Being professional troll like this, but making amateur mistake of not making his Steam profile private, where you can easily see that he hasnt a single minute of CoH2 played. But that doesnt bother him while he writes his review, it seems. And another low score of 40... Im used to see from a reviewer to take in consideration all game elements while scoring the game graphics, sound, gameplay, modes,... IS this game so broken half-product like Aliens Colonial Marines, or SimCity? Is it so bad like that miscreant Duke Nukem Forever? Dont bet on that. Its really ridiculous that some people still taking Metacritics for serious. When you see something like this from someone who has a privilege to write pro reviews what to expect from users... I saw some veteran members from CoH community writing their reviews. But for every one of them there are five trolls, with at least 2 accounts down-woting positive reviews, and submiting their zeros with nothing less than hilarious reasons. Its bad because it have campaign? Gameplay is a copy of Man of War!? Theres no annihilation mode!!? Did you tried to change victory conditions in options? Shame that Metacritics doesnt include IQ testing before someone can submit a review. Expand
  36. Jan 24, 2014
    Company of Heroes 2 is a great follow-up to the hugely successful and influential Company of Heroes. In this installment gamers are taken to the Eastern Front in the battle between the Soviet Union and Germany. Like the first CoH before its expansions, the campaign is Allies only. There are a number of challenge maps, both single-player and cooperative, on each side. But the single playerCompany of Heroes 2 is a great follow-up to the hugely successful and influential Company of Heroes. In this installment gamers are taken to the Eastern Front in the battle between the Soviet Union and Germany. Like the first CoH before its expansions, the campaign is Allies only. There are a number of challenge maps, both single-player and cooperative, on each side. But the single player experience is really about prepping gamers to play online.

A number of changes have been made to the formula of CoH. For one, resource points are no longer set, but can be assigned when captured. That is to say all strategic sectors generate manpower to the group that captures them. While the uses of the three main resources are the same, players gain munitions or fuel by locking down a point, which allows fights to be over more than a few critical sectors. On the other hand its makes starving the armor-heavy German faction of fuel a much more difficult ordeal.

Line-of-sight rules have had an overhaul. Now instead of units simply having a fixed vision radius it is affected by terrain and obstructions. This means that infantry can't see over walls and your tanks won't know what's on the other side of that large building. With some of the hilly or forested maps this has brought ambush tactics to the forefront. Such infantry tactics are necessary to secure a Soviet victory. This is especially true since inexplicably tanks traps are no longer in the game. Now that armor can't be bottlenecked reconnaissance and hidden flanking units must be used to their fullest.

As of the time of this writing, while the balance has improved significantly over launch, it is not balanced nearly as well as its predecessor. I do not think this ruins the potential of the game, as I'm sure that early adopters of the first CoH will remember the years it took to balance that game and the re-balancing that was needed with the additional factions of Opposing Fronts and units from Tales of Valor. The trend has been towards a more well balanced game.

Rather than major expansions it seems that CoH2 is opting for a model of incremental DLC. Packs of a few new commanders (which function like trees in the first game) and units are being sold piecemeal. I expect that if there will be any major DLC or expansions it would be the addition of a new faction. However as an Eastern Front game that seems difficult and unlikely. Factions from the Western Front would be out of place (and are covered in the first game) and there is little room for the small-scale tactical ground wars in the Pacific theatre.

Bottom line is if you liked the first CoH I see no reason why this shouldn't be a no-brainer. As long as you remember that the first game wasn't balanced overnight you can have a lot of fun hours playing this game!

Note: I am sticking to giving a fair score of my own, but I will admit there is a part of me that wants to bump this to a 9 or 10 to help overcome the ridiculous number of people giving it a zero. For a game to warrant a zero it would need to be completely non-functional and unplayable, these are just people raging.
  37. Aug 4, 2013
    COH2 is a solid RTS with terrifying and gritty battlefield ambiance. In the explosions and gunfire, you can feel the thrill and panic of positions being overrun, of the enemy turning your flank, of ordering your squads into defensive positions to stem the enemy's advance.

A lot of the negative reviews I see have to do with the main campaign and its outcome. Possibly the campaign says things people don't like or agree with, hence a negative review. I personally haven't played much of the campaign, but I've played a lot of the multiplayer, and I can vouch that the multiplayer aspect is fun and well developed.

It's an excellent RTS, though perhaps the price could be a bit lower for what you receive...
  38. Jun 30, 2013
    I really enjoy this game. I played the first CoH and I think CoH2 is very similar just everything is more balanced and more enhanced. I like this RTS because i am not a crazy fast 120 clicks per minute type of person and I still have to time use all my abilities and strategy. It is really about reading your opponents styles and countering them with the men you have. This is my favorite RTS.
  39. Nov 27, 2013
    Great game.

One of my favorite multiplayer games ever.

+ graphics
    + gameplay
    + multiplayer
    + countless hours of fun

- pay to win with better commanders
    - not much changed from the original
  40. Jun 26, 2013
    Awesome game. Not revolutionary, but more of the same of what made Company of Heroes great and that is no bad thing.

If you liked CoH you should love this.
  41. Jun 25, 2013
    At long last, after so many months, THQ bankruptcy, and many hard moments for CoH community, this game is finally here. Its hard to believe, really. Game is above any of my expectations, regarding hard THQ times and limited budget. I dont know whats the point writing a review about the game which everyone had a chance to try on Steam these past weeks. As a result CoH2 is top seller onAt long last, after so many months, THQ bankruptcy, and many hard moments for CoH community, this game is finally here. Its hard to believe, really. Game is above any of my expectations, regarding hard THQ times and limited budget. I dont know whats the point writing a review about the game which everyone had a chance to try on Steam these past weeks. As a result CoH2 is top seller on Steam atm. Because it sucks? I dont think so. This is not the game where it was insanelly overhiped (cough Bioshock Infinite cough), and you bought it blindly, and later complaining to fall on critic scores. CoH2 had Open Beta, and whoever wanted it he got it.
    Troll den, such as Metacritic, will be a heaven for those, hardly that insanity from Steam forums wont spill here:
    "OMG, this game is just an expansion, CoH 1.5 at its best, rip-ooooooff"
    "OMG, this game is nothing like CoH, its completelly different"
    "They are showing us (Russians) as monsters"
    "They are using commies to show them like heroes, and theres no Americans in this game, boo-hoo"
    "Russians are completelly OP"
    "Germans are OP"
    "You can buy skins like DLC, this is pay 2 win gameeeeeeee"
    Not to mention StarCraft 2, Men of War, and World in Conflict trolls stalking forums and You Tube comment sections. Some of them are submited their reviews already. Great visuals (vehicles are more detailed than in most other genre games), Great voiceover, just like Im used from Relic, and epic soundtrack. This game isnt perfect, I would give it 9, but Im forced to give it 10 because of these reasons.
  42. Feb 24, 2014
    Not as well balanced as the original with less interesting units, abilities and combos. As of me writing this, Relic is finally getting around to updating the matchmaking system (about 9 years late), so hopefully the changes are improvements.

Russia seems to have brought hell down on Relic. One point that I can sympathize over; its company of HEROES, where in the single player campaign you follow a traitor and cry baby Russian who was anything but a hero.

In multiplayer they have greatly reduced the importance of countering units with other units. It has been dulled down by simply bringing numbers and using range attacks. Hopefully this gets fixed in later patches and this game lives up to what we would expect as a continuation of Company of Heroes.
  43. Jul 24, 2013
    Excellent multi-player game. Very long campaign and Theatre of war collection make the game valuable and worth the money. The weather and vision system are excellent additions to the game.
  44. Aug 29, 2013
    The studio (Relic) which set the standard for RTS games back in 2006 with the release of company of heroes have managed to maintain the quality of the previous games once again.

COH2 is set on the eastern front of WW2 from the point of view of a Soviet soldier. The story takes you from the initial invasion of Russia by the Germans to their final bastion in Berlin. During the campaign you will engage in small scale operations, tank hunting, sniper duty, scorched earth and to large scale tank battles.

It is cold, so very cold and subsequently blizzards happen which slow down the action and require you to seek warmth for your troops, surprisingly this feature works well, It gives the game a new dynamic which plays into your strategy of being a Soviet commander.

The visual quality as you would expect, fantastic. The physics once again bring you huge smile to your face when houses explode into pieces, walls get crushed, the ice cracks open, the world reacts how it should.

The unit audio is another element which sets the COH series apart other RTS games. Vehicles sound heavy and menacing, hearing a Tiger tanks engines roar somewhere from the battlefield sends a little tingle of fear down your spine and the scream of the Katyushas makes every German commander get a ping of anxiety.

Soldiers audio reactions to situations is unique to COH and brings them to life, you actually care if they die.

The multiplayer is also brilliant and well worth the money alone, with unlocks and a steady stream of improvements and content being released from Relic it has only got better and Relic are committed to adding more content and improvements.

I cannot stress how good this game is. Even if you do not have an interest in WW2 you will love the gameplay, crave the destruction, and desire the victories.

Do not miss out playing one of the best RTS games in the mostly highly rated series in history.
  45. Nov 18, 2013
    I had so much fun on this game.

One of the best RTS games available at the moment.

I have no idea whether the history is correct or not but to be honest, I really don't care.

It's just a game
  46. Jun 28, 2013
    I loved the original and I really like what they did with Company of Heroes 2. RTS fans should not miss this one because it involves a lot of strategy (setting traps, surviving blizzards and environmental effects I actually took out a tank by breaking the ice underneath it with a moltov grenade). This game is much more involved than an RTS like SC2 or C&C and I would have given it a 10I loved the original and I really like what they did with Company of Heroes 2. RTS fans should not miss this one because it involves a lot of strategy (setting traps, surviving blizzards and environmental effects I actually took out a tank by breaking the ice underneath it with a moltov grenade). This game is much more involved than an RTS like SC2 or C&C and I would have given it a 10 if it wasn't for the limited 'ways' to play multiplayer a small but legitimate weakness that can be fixed with future updates. Expand
  47. Jun 25, 2013
    The campaign is a little hokey but (in my humble opinion) is fairly challenging and long enough to be worth it. To top it off, Theater of War adds a ton of replayability and allows those who don't like competitive multiplayer or who have friends that aren't great at RTS games to get a lot of value out of the title. I'm looking forward to seeing them add onto this feature.

The game is

The game is gorgeous for an RTS even on fairly low settings, though it can be a little too muddy at times. The UI is chunky but well rendered and really informative (those unit cards at the top left make army control quite easy). Gameplay is excellent, if unforgiving (just like all of Relic's titles).

People, I think, are understating the effect that some simple changes will have on the game. Requisitioning destroyed vehicles and heavy guns is huge, and vaulting obstacles makes infantry a lot more mobile. Add in all of the ColdTech stuff (destroyable ice, units freezing in deep snow, and blizzards) and I think there's a lot here to keep people occupied.

The music and sound effects are just stellar.

I usually play on fairly low settings to make gameplay smoother and am not experiencing game-altering slowdowns, though mileage is sure to vary here. I'm totally hooked and look forward to years of stoming the Wermacht for the glory of the Rodina! :p
  48. Jun 26, 2013
    Most negative reviews state the lack of changes on the game, but every RTS has its own style I don't want another StarCraft, Total War, Warhammer, Civilization, etc. I want to play Company of heroes 2 the same I enjoyed years ago with better graphics and improved gameplay...
  49. May 13, 2014
    Great game! Good graphics and sound. I never played COH1 so I can't compare to it, but I find COH2 to be well worth the $30 I paid on Steam for the base game and expansions.

If you like COH2 give Men Of War Assault Squad 2 a try also, another great game!
  50. Jul 19, 2013
    Great game. I preordered it and i dont regret it at all. The campaing alone is worth the money and is far better than any of the coh 1 campaings. It has some very fun maps like that tiger tank hunting with limited resources etc.. Also blizzards makes online matches more dynamic and they chance the pace of the game. I just wish they would last longer.
  51. Aug 3, 2013
    Great game got at least a great sequel. High level of performance in the promptness with new ideas and concepts of classical RTS make this game a truly fascinating and interesting. The plot is excellent, reflecting the harsh realities of war, ruthless, I really liked. I note that I am Russian and live in Russia, many Russian this game very satisfied, please do not judge all by squeakyGreat game got at least a great sequel. High level of performance in the promptness with new ideas and concepts of classical RTS make this game a truly fascinating and interesting. The plot is excellent, reflecting the harsh realities of war, ruthless, I really liked. I note that I am Russian and live in Russia, many Russian this game very satisfied, please do not judge all by squeaky Russian upstarts who write bad reviews on this game, we're not all like that. Thank you so much developers! Expand
  52. Jun 25, 2014
    Ok first I'll start by saying this game had a rough start, but just in the last 3-4 months is has become a lot better, they have actual servers for the automatch so no longer do you need to worry about lag, even the optimization is better now when I first played this game i was getting a lot of stutters and input lag in multiplayer but no longer its all fixed now.

now just recently they

now just recently they have released the western front armies which i believe has brought this game back to life, it comes with two new armies the Oberkommando and usa which is only $20 and well worth it also on top of that it also gives custom game lobbies which is something people have been asking for since the game first got released and now they also have a thing called war spoils which when you finish a match there is a chance that you will get an item such as a commander or skin even faceplate oh and victory strikes.

Now for veteran players they have added three prestige levels so pretty much i believe this game now deserves a 10/10
  53. Jul 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a good game but Need more map ,But can you doo bigger map !!!!Please !!!so little map Ai (cpu) ave 5 min to kick your ass ,,good graffic but lagging little Need too be optimise ,,!!!
    By the way i buy the DLC so pay 99$ too promote Relic ,,So doo map !!!

More map PLZ
  54. Aug 6, 2013
    Je mets 10 pour équilibrer, cause des trolls qui ont du mal avec l'histoire. La campagne est plaisante et captivante de long en large, elle offre un vision réaliste du front de l'est. Les graphismes sont plus fins, la représentation des 2 camps est plus réaliste.

Le gameplay est toujours aussi prenant sans qu'on ait besoin d'être coréen pour s'en sortir. Certes ça manque un peu de nouveautés (A noter que les nouveaux mécanismes de jeux dus au blizzard sont bien pensés) mais la recette est suffisamment efficace pour passer un bon moment. Vu la rareté des bon jeux de stratégie, pourquoi s'en priver?
  55. Jul 2, 2013
    It was an amazing experience, my only grip is that the main campaign is to short, but it is great how the campaign evolve, in the first missions when you have to play defending all you can, you can experience the lack of resources an gear that the russian army actually have to suffer, then the war advance and the winter became the factor that let the russians reorganice a counter atackIt was an amazing experience, my only grip is that the main campaign is to short, but it is great how the campaign evolve, in the first missions when you have to play defending all you can, you can experience the lack of resources an gear that the russian army actually have to suffer, then the war advance and the winter became the factor that let the russians reorganice a counter atack and your equipment and gear improves acordingly, well i like it and and i recommend to anyone who whants a great challenge and a bit of history lessons (betwen loading screens) Expand
  56. Jun 25, 2013
    Company of heroes 2 has taken all of the good things that made CoH 1, refined them, and then added yet even more.

Whilst the campaign came across as a repetitive and numbing, this game truly shines in its "Theater of War" and Online skirmish modes. Battling it out with your friends in Online Skirmish has never felt more visceral and intense. Explosions shred the ground, as vehicles

Battling it out with your friends in Online Skirmish has never felt more visceral and intense. Explosions shred the ground, as vehicles collide with battlefield obstacles, sending broken props flying in all directions, whilst gunfire and mortar fire ring out from every direction. Overall, visuals and battlefield sound fidelity are superb, serving to draw you into the tense, ceaseless atmosphere throughout the course of the battle.

The theme of asymmetrical warfare that was evident in CoH 1 has made a triumphant return, allowing a whole host of fun abilities, commanders, and units to play around with in battles.

AI pathing and vehicle controls have been significantly refined since CoH 1, allowing faster response times and greater freedom of movement throughout the map. However there are still a few issues when controlling large groups of forces, as often times these blobs can bottleneck, causing a degree of frustration.

Theater of War allows the player to play solo, or cooperatively, along the course of World War 2 on the Eastern front, spanning from the initial invasion of the Soviet Union in 1941, to the fall of Berlin in 1945. This mode allows for an interesting historical look at the game, whilst meeting your demands for action, chaos and challenge!

Whilst there is a slightly steep learning curve for those new to RTS, and in particular CoH, I can guarantee that if you stick with it, you'll not only be able to stand a chance against some of the better players, but you'll also have hours upon hours of high destruction fun.

What more can you ask for?

57. Jul 7, 2013
    incredible graphics. Very well maintained. Soviets will have to fiddle around this time to move forward and regain their homeland. The game needed a good team, however it is worth the game
  58. Jun 30, 2013
    It's a very good game The story is awesome the gameplay is very good It has some minor flaws but the characters are intresting. And if they focus more on the multiplayer the multiplayer might be very good
  59. Jul 27, 2013
    Another Great game from Relic! Just great multiplayer and co-op missions. Campaing story is not very good but gameplay is awesome! The only thing this game need is good PC because of pure optimisation
  60. Aug 31, 2013
    Greatest game ever! This game shows all of us that Red Army was an army of stupid rats with cruel generals and just bastards. Our character is an a good guy tho (I won't do spoilers).

___________________ I don't think that veterans of CoH 1 will love it, but i'm sure that any any guy who like this genre at all will fall in love. This game is the best RTS of the year! Recomended

___________________

Anyway, 10/10.
  61. Sep 13, 2013
    CoH 2 is a very difficult strategy game, that require skill to be played. But is a high level strategy game, very well balanced and rich of content. If you like RTS with hi level of challenge CoH2 is the best! [i'm talking about multiplayer, because I play only MP]
  62. Sep 7, 2013
    Well, this game is not perfect, but I played it for 3 months or so and still like it. I am talking about MP. The single player campaign is so-so, and not historically true, but this is not a historical manuscript, this is just game.
  63. May 28, 2014
    Game is very similar to the Company of Heroes 1. If you are searching something completely innovative you won't find it. But if you want play in old good CoH you will have a lot of fun. At least I have :). Anyway you have GREAT balls to handle history topic in II WW. All of those who says "it's historical plot fake" please read books and check the truth. Specially stories about SeptemberGame is very similar to the Company of Heroes 1. If you are searching something completely innovative you won't find it. But if you want play in old good CoH you will have a lot of fun. At least I have :). Anyway you have GREAT balls to handle history topic in II WW. All of those who says "it's historical plot fake" please read books and check the truth. Specially stories about September '39 or Katyn massacre '40 or Soviet salvation at 44-45 (Warsaw uprising is also authentic story). Expand
  64. Jun 8, 2015
    A very good game tells the true story of those years. F|_|CK russia and F|_|CK adolf putin.

Russia destroy the world. We must destroy russia to save the world.
  65. Sep 23, 2013
    it is a good game, it doesnt deserve the low score it has. the bulletin system doesn't seem like it was entirely thought out but it's nice to see them trying new things.
  66. Sep 25, 2013
    Amazing RTS game. Russian player does not know the history of their own country and trolling. Game is very cool. Beautiful graphics and good gameplay. I recommend!. 10/10
  67. May 12, 2015
    great game it be after the western front in which i agree it was bad before the western front while now the game is working hard to make the game more better than it was.
  68. Jan 10, 2014
    i both loved and hated this game, loved the accurate portrayal of WW2 russia (no one else has the balls to do so, just look at all the butthurt russians downvoting it) but i hated the pay to win system. still, campaign was very enjoyable and multiplayer is amazing
  69. Jun 29, 2015
    Awesome game, most of the negative reviews are from butthurt russians because of the campaign, wich is not even the main focus of the game, the campaign is mostly there just to teach you how to play the game.
  70. Dec 31, 2014
    super addictive online game, great -balanced units frequent updates, you do not need any more of this game
    Russian do not recognize the truth and give a low score
  71. Apr 29, 2015
    This is the best RTS on the market. I am fan since Company of Heroes 1. Note, i do not play the campaigns so i cannot tell about the so called fact that it shows the red army in a negative role.

My CoH interest is for the multiplayer games, campaign mode is boring to me, do i do not care really much about the campaign. Basics are relatively simple, but mastering the game requires

Basics are relatively simple, but mastering the game requires months and lots of gaming.

I have some frustration with some armored units which some i feel overpowered, some underpowered, like the IS2 and ISU152, which i find underpowered. That is why i give 9.

Those who have frustration against the editor of the game should send their complaints to the editor and stop spamming Metracritics with zero results and their frustration. Please grow up.
  72. Aug 14, 2013
    Amazing RTS as its finest.

Relic knows his way, they are the new 'Westwood' for me for a while since Blizzard started to stop innovating the genre after Warcraft III.

Rating it 9 because I was expecting a bit more more new stuff after vanilla CoH and CoH Online even though there is still some.
  73. Jun 25, 2013
    I got the original COH and played it a little bit, but not extensively, so I don't know COH very well. So going into COH 2, it's pretty much a new game to me.
    I have to say, it was difficult to get into at first, but now that I've figured out the mechanics, I really love this game. I don't have hours to play a single game, so Theater of War is perfect for me. Can get in, play a 30-40 min game, and get out.
    Excellent game, and I'm very happy with the purchase!
  74. Aug 29, 2013
    I love what they have done, the eastern front is so much fun.

The game looks great and sounds amazing, the MP is brilliant and has a lot of unlocks which lets you customise your army which makes for some interesting plays.

Get it now!
  75. Aug 6, 2013
    One of the best RTS in the last few years. Good campaign, enjoyable gameplay and solid story, Relic did a great job. I didn't encounter any bugs so far.
  76. Aug 6, 2013
    Why metacritic allow to leave comments and rate games without checking users steam profile or something, just to check, did this player actually play this game?
    Because mighty army of hamsters, who did not even play, just came here and unfairly lowered the rating of game.
    First of all, THIS IS JUST A GAME, also scenario is not important here. AND IT HAVE PEGI 18+, so childrens did not
    First of all, THIS IS JUST A GAME, also scenario is not important here.
    AND IT HAVE PEGI 18+, so childrens did not allow to play this. Use parental control software if you aware.
    This is multiplayer based game. Just like campaing in battlefield 3/bad company 2.
    And of course, in my country (Russia) our main distributor "1C" took this game off sales, because petition has gathered 15k signatures. What it if not censor? I hope Gabe will ignore the petition.

I am against censorship.
  77. Aug 1, 2013
    If you read only one thing in this review, read this: The reviews on this page got bombed by eastern europeans that were upset at how the game portrayed characters on the soviet side.

That being said, the game is amazing. If you're a fan of COH1, you'll love COH2. Everything across the board has saw an improvement, and the balance is really the only thing patches are touching on now. As with any RTS, expect the balance changes to continue until COH3 comes out, but as it stands the current balance is incredibly well set up.
  78. Sep 18, 2013
    This game is great; good game play, interesting mechanics, and overall a lot of fun. As for those who say this game company supports Nazis, they are absolutely wrong. Relic attempts to show both Russians and Germans as soldiers fighting a war, leaving the politics out of it. It's an attempt at creating an experience of what the war was like for the respective sides, not making a politicalThis game is great; good game play, interesting mechanics, and overall a lot of fun. As for those who say this game company supports Nazis, they are absolutely wrong. Relic attempts to show both Russians and Germans as soldiers fighting a war, leaving the politics out of it. It's an attempt at creating an experience of what the war was like for the respective sides, not making a political point. It's about showing the human side of soldiers caught up in a brutal war. As was the case during the war, many German soldiers were not hard line Nazis, but were simply soldiers fighting a war. That's hat Relic portrays. As for all these Russian sympathizers trying to play off the brutal communist regime of Russia as a bunch of heroes, tell that to the millions of Kulaks Stalin murdered. Russia made Nazi Germany look like a walk in the park, and killed millions more in its numerous purges than the Nazis ever did. Expand
  79. Jul 27, 2013
    Great game with solid single player campaign and Theatre of War mode. Awesome multiplayer with a great community. Post launch support has been great so far. All that's needed is a competitive ladder and a few balance tweaks but that is to be expected with a game only a month old.
  80. Jun 25, 2013
    Played 17 hours of multiplayer Beta and one mission of single player it is the most amazing and intense RTS I have played. This game requires you to think about what your building and makes you look after your units. I did play CoH 1 and the game adds to one of the best RTS's around it's not an evolution but more of a refinement of a great game making it better.
    The have improved on
    The have improved on the graphics by having destructible environments, dynamic weather effects where it reduces your sight when snowing and your troops can freeze to death if caught in the blizzards.
    Each map has a snowy counterpart when it snowes lakes freeze over but the ice can be blown up which you have to be mindful of if crossing over Superb game and I recommend to buy it especially if you like playing online.
  81. Jun 26, 2013
    From the get go, they immerse you into Russia's brutal image of the war. The campaign is filled with heart wrenching scenarios and compassion for the troops and hatred for the officers (except the one you play as). This game has several new interesting tactics. The russians need to through multiple soldiers at Germans to be successful just as it was in World War 2. Besides a bit dullFrom the get go, they immerse you into Russia's brutal image of the war. The campaign is filled with heart wrenching scenarios and compassion for the troops and hatred for the officers (except the one you play as). This game has several new interesting tactics. The russians need to through multiple soldiers at Germans to be successful just as it was in World War 2. Besides a bit dull campaign, it is still pretty good for a game that doesn't focus much on campaigns.

The multiplayer is amazing when it comes to playing with friends. One may run support while the other goes armor and another with infantry. It makes the game even more strategic. I will admit some downfalls are the powerful flamethrowers and the lethality of mortars but they can easily be countered. The game takes time to adapt from the previous CoH but once you're in the flow of things, it's pretty fun especially with friends. I've been in scenarios where a friend and I are at our main base struggling to survive but when the enemy's failed to push, we built up forces and countered and won the game from what seemed to be a loss for us.

Overall, it's a game worth paying. Unless you are a fan, do not buy it for $60. I only find myself playing 1-2 games at a time before i switch to a different game just because it takes so much out of you.
  82. Aug 11, 2013
    I give this game ~7 points for fun/mechanics and so on. I loved CoH 1 and all expansions and especially the mods like Blitzkrieg. Coh 1 was a game changer some sorts, but this is a decent game which suffered from the producer going into bankrupcy and so on. Too bad.

BUT I give it 10 because of the butthurting it caused. Whiny about historical accuracy, especially by russians and coh-fanboyship. Look I am thankful that the russians saved the world from the Nazis, but they did it the way they did and far as I know this isn't as inaccurate as russians like it to be.

So Buuuhuuu go cry, but a game like that recieving a 1.5 user score is just rediculous. Grow up.
  83. Jun 25, 2013
    It's just perfect RTS. Also It's the best RTS. Much more better than Men of War.Great story about soviets, excellent multplayer and interesting Theatre of War. I really enjoyed this game! Great game!!!
  84. Jun 25, 2013
    This game in my opinion is amazing. I never played the first CoH so I'm not sure if it's too similar or whatever, all I know is that it plays great. The campaign is a bit dull but honestly I don't think that's what most people bought it for. The multiplayer and co-op modes are fast paced and extremely fun. The thing that I enjoy most is that instead of being based on how many clicks youThis game in my opinion is amazing. I never played the first CoH so I'm not sure if it's too similar or whatever, all I know is that it plays great. The campaign is a bit dull but honestly I don't think that's what most people bought it for. The multiplayer and co-op modes are fast paced and extremely fun. The thing that I enjoy most is that instead of being based on how many clicks you can make (looking at you starcraft) the game requires you to best your ally through superior tactics and outmaneuvering. If you are the kind of person who loves ww2 and real combat not a clicking contest BUY THIS GAME. Expand
  85. Jun 25, 2013
    Company of Heroes 2, despite what many naysayers will claim, is not a bad game. If there had never been an original Company of Heroes and Company of Heroes 2 was released on its own the game would score very well; however, it is following a very tough act.

The remarkable innovations of the original game are still evident in Company of Heroes 2, and the game itself continues to take steps forwards with new and innovative features such as the ColdTech and the TrueSight mechanics. It is fun, and it is enjoyable.

But it is not the original Company of Heroes, and I think that is what everyone is going to think when they sit down to play this game. Though all of the aspects of what made the original great are here (the game's engine is gorgeous, the audio is fantastic, gameplay is fresh and innovative, the multiplayer is balanced-ish) the game ultimately falls short of what diehard Company of Heroes players were expecting, because it is impossible to recreate the experience of the original while still making changes, which is what any development studio has to do in order to stay competitive.

The only actual failing of the game, in my opinion, is that of the multiplayer. Though the multiplayer itself is balanced enough to be enjoyable for the moment and will become more balanced over the next four or five months, the approach to the online atmosphere seems to be directed at cooperative play and online play versus AI. The inclusion of the Theater of War mode was well-done and adds an enjoyable amount of replayability to the single-player side of the game.

While I can understand the decision to go the Theater of War-way, as most people who played the original Company of Heroes and its subsequent expansions preferred cooperative play against AI opponents, I feel as though the more competitive side of the online community has been neglected. There are, as far as I have been able to see, no noticeable improvements in the Company of Heroes 2 automatch features, and there seems to have been no real forethought into supporting competitive online play down the road.

All of the games in the Company of Heroes series have always been too slow paced to ever be treated as a proper e-sport, but I think that in this modern day and age when e-sports are on the cusp of becoming big, it was a serious mistake on Relic's part not to have been proactive in attempting to make Company of Heroes 2 a competitive online game.

All in all, however, the game is a solid investment and, in spite of any personal grumblings I have about the lack of foresight on the behalf of the game's developers, the multiplayer is a solid component of the game and complements the single player campaign and theater of war aspects well.

If you played the original and loved it, give this one some time. It is still fun, though you may experience some culture shock in adapting to this new game. If you never played the first game, but enjoy real-time strategy games, you'll find Company of Heroes 2 to be a great experience.

86. Aug 6, 2013
    So first I want to make this point about 3000 scores of this game are total The history is what it is there are no lies as far as I played. The game should be rated on how good it is. Not on graphics. Graphics don't make a game. Just because the game gets release day dlc doesn't make the game worse. Dlc is optional it should not in any way affect the score of the game. So the gameplay isSo first I want to make this point about 3000 scores of this game are total The history is what it is there are no lies as far as I played. The game should be rated on how good it is. Not on graphics. Graphics don't make a game. Just because the game gets release day dlc doesn't make the game worse. Dlc is optional it should not in any way affect the score of the game. So the gameplay is good it is not bad in any way. The story isn't the best but it is not super bad either. I don't see how you can rate a game like this 0. This game has a user score of 1.5 wtf is wrong with you people. Tell me how can this game be worse than big rigs over the road racing that game was literally unplayable. Expand
  87. Jun 25, 2013
    Being a person who, according to steam, has played the original company of heroes for 272 hours and the beta for so far 52 hours am a bit of a subject matter expert in Company of Heroes. This game is fantastic. It is more balanced than the original and with the advent of more MOS's/ Generals has in my mind greater replay value. The ability of certain units to dominate the battlefieldBeing a person who, according to steam, has played the original company of heroes for 272 hours and the beta for so far 52 hours am a bit of a subject matter expert in Company of Heroes. This game is fantastic. It is more balanced than the original and with the advent of more MOS's/ Generals has in my mind greater replay value. The ability of certain units to dominate the battlefield early has been handled nicely with manpower becoming more scarce as unit upkeep takes its toll. Artillery has more of a primary role in this game, as tanks have a game winning quality in later stages. All in all I couldn't have hoped for a better sequel and am completely amazed that so many people despise this game. I think that an odd blending of nostalgia and elitist irony are to blame. Expand
  88. Jun 26, 2013
    A worthy sequel to the original Company of Heroes games, it seems to strike a good balance of Single and Multi-player aspects.. I admit the RRP is expensive but if you shop around you can get it cheaper, a lot of people are moaning about the DLC but this is unlocked in game and mainly cosmetic,

I admit I dislike the RPG elements of levelling up, in most games mainly because I do not the time or patience to grind for suitable unlocks, but I am not willing to purchase these as well, but a lot of people must do it otherwise this companies wouldn't do it.. I think a lot of peoples concerns is the lack of maps and no in-game lobby system, which I can understand but as I don't play much multiplayer it doesn't concern me a great deal..
    By giving gamers a Beta version which anyone could play, was a clever idea but for a lot of multiplayer only gamers the full version doesn't offer much difference. as a lot would of already hammered the game..

It must be difficult to get the balance right for both hard core gamers and people who just don't have the time to commit to playing for loads of hours and I think Relic have done a sterling job.
  89. Jul 6, 2013
    Story wise, CoH 2 captured the essence of WW2 battle between the Soviet and Germany. The battles were among the bloodiest, and there were moments where Soviet was just as bad as Germany, especially with Stalin's Order 227. Battle of Kursk, Leningrad and Stalingrad was mentioned and captured, not perfectly but enough for us just to imagine the nightmare on the Eastern Fronts. Furthermore inStory wise, CoH 2 captured the essence of WW2 battle between the Soviet and Germany. The battles were among the bloodiest, and there were moments where Soviet was just as bad as Germany, especially with Stalin's Order 227. Battle of Kursk, Leningrad and Stalingrad was mentioned and captured, not perfectly but enough for us just to imagine the nightmare on the Eastern Fronts. Furthermore in contrary to popular believes, the game doesn't trying to reflect Soviet as evil nations (despite there were some instances that strongly suggest one), but merely the desperation of the of war (using conscripts for example that includes every able men and women).

The campaign has a fun gameplay although the story part of the game feels a little bit weak, however, we all knew how the story goes in all games like these Allied forces won so there isn't much use trying to put extra gimmicks by further elaborating on the story that we all pretty much knew since primary school years. Therefore, for those seeking for story, RTS genres like this game won't have much on that department and thus, stop criticising it.

Putting that aside, another impressive feat was how much detail was given on the units, particularly the tanks. An accurate description for each unit was provided and this gives immersion to the game that is not really available for other RTS games. Although the AI might have a slight issue in path-finding, with a little micromanagement, the battles seem flawless.

In addition, controlling a couple of Tiger IVs and VIs smashing through enemies' defences feel satisfactory. Or ordering artillery barrage using leFH 18 to soften up defences before rolling in flemmenwerfer to capture enemy territories, only to be burnt alive by Scorched Earth and barrages from Katyusha rockets. Soviet's IS-2 and T-34 tanks lived up to their names as a few that can stand against German and their panzergrupp.

This game is not about steam-rolling. Armored division are great but without proper support from infantry, the AT (anti-tank) weapons will make a short work of the panzers, more so when entrenched behind enemy lines. Infantry also have variety between the two factions, Soviets have cheap but relatively weak infantry compared with the Germans, so different strategies are required when deploying large numbers of units. Also, Soviet's tanks are heavier and slower to fire compared to German's more agile tanks.

The 'Theatre of War' mode fills the battles that were not covered on the campaign (by year, the first is 1941) and will continue as DLC presumably for the following 4 years until 1945. Despite what others might have said about the price, those DLCs are small price to pay for the quality of details provided by Relic.

In short, the attention to details are what made this game worthwhile.

+Atmosphere of Eastern Fronts
    +Accurate details
    +Theatre of War

-Multiplayer issues (lags)
    -Some units might feel slightly underwhelming or overwhelming
    -Huge learning curve in micromanagement
  90. Aug 1, 2013
    Personally, a multitude of player reviews are extremely biased towards the historical and "realistic" portrayal of the game. While I only half agree with them, it by no means mitigates the fun I've had playing this game.

While realism isn't the heaviest factor in CoH2, fun is. They've done a great deal to balance the game and add unique styles of play to the game. The environment finally working into battles is a great feature, albeit somewhat rushed in my opinion.

I'm a huge history fan, however I'm NOT the biggest fan of relic attempting to tell a story I'd rather if they just stuck to the facts.

The only thing that'd complete the game fully in my opinion is more free commanders and the ability to make your own commander/doctrine. With the ability to make your own commander/doctrine hopefully being released in a patch or future DLC.

My only solid complaints are the poor optimization, and the historical bias portrayed in the game.

It's a great game, and it's great fun if you're in to the RTS genre.
    I still do believe the first was better, however it's once more as I've stated a great game.
  91. Sep 17, 2013
    don't listen to haters

they are russian trolls or maybe even worse, they believe in what they say

they are delusional about their country's awful history, i would be ashamed also if i were russian, but this isn't a reason to writing untrue reviews

this game is very good and the history representation is very accurate
  92. Aug 9, 2013
    This is the best RTS in last 5 years. Amazing graphics and sound effects. Great gameplay. Game also has very interesting singleplayer as well as online modes.
  93. Aug 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yes, try to invent on his true history, all over Europe only you still to believe it,
    we all know what that Krasnaja Armia, she ate soap, stealing clocks and did not know what this bike.
    by the way

you know who invented the bicycle?
    Russian

... in the attic of a German
  94. Sep 3, 2013
    This a good strategy game. It is a little disappointing in comparison to the original but I felt compelled to join this site in reaction to the negativity.

To all of the people who are overreacting, humans are very complex creatures. Many armies that were cut off from supplies resorted to cannibalism. They also had to make sacrifices. People also are self preserving especially people who are not violent and do n not want to be in a war. Having said this, I think that the Russian people are a people with an amazing history and culture. They have been the ones to push back against massive threats to the stability of Europe and the world. They beat Napoleon, Hitler and many other blood thirsty people. I have nothing but respect for the Russian people; but sacrifice is a part of war and you should not look at the things that were done for victory as negative things. Rather you should understand that alot of bad things have been done to preserve a people. Death is sometimes the answer to save your country. I know it sucks but nobody likes to think that their own people did what they had to, to survive. I hope that many of you realize some day that the developers were just trying to show that the Russian leaders were not afraid to do what it takes to survive and I think that many people would benefit from understanding that you can't always do things the right way and you can't save everybody.
  95. Nov 13, 2013
    Finally game with REAL history! Thanks for make this game, and don't care about stiupid russian girls.. they don't event know own history (russian propaganda..)
  96. Sep 28, 2013
    Company Of Heroes 2 is an actually great game, It has it's ups and downs compared to it's procedure, CoH1. The game-play, in my opinion, is smooth and just a big fun adventure. But I think that lots of people are hating because CoH1 was such a great game, everyone compares it to that, so it's unevenly judged. I think it's a great game, and should buy it if you like a fast passed but strategic RTS.
  97. Oct 12, 2013
    superbe jeu l' Ia est plus difficile que dans le premier opus et les graphisme sont bien amélioré l' histoire se suit et est très réussi jouer
  98. Nov 30, 2013
    Huge fan of the style of play. Don't have the patience/attention span to mine resources? This game uses a great territory format to gain resources which puts more focus on unit positioning and maintaining map control. Significantly better than CoH1. The game is far more realistic. It is a game of attrition, one should avoid loosing any units. People that complain are so used to CoH1Huge fan of the style of play. Don't have the patience/attention span to mine resources? This game uses a great territory format to gain resources which puts more focus on unit positioning and maintaining map control. Significantly better than CoH1. The game is far more realistic. It is a game of attrition, one should avoid loosing any units. People that complain are so used to CoH1 exploits that simply don't work in this game, because of this they flip out. The amount of extra features compared to the original really sets it apart making it a new game with the same basic feel/outline. Significantly more thought went into this than Star Craft 2 which is essentially the same as Star Craft 1 but better graphics, a few new units and slight changes to Zerg. Do not understand why this game is not looked up to significantly more then Star Craft. Expand
  99. May 14, 2014
    This game is easily the best WWII / RTS out there. I have played more than 100 hours online and still I'm not bored at all. The graphics, the online gameplay, unit movement, skills, gameplay variety, different commanders, ...

However I think how they made eastern European look in the campaign (and even unit descriptions) was a very bad marketing move, thus I think the reactons of these people is absolutely justified.

Game: 9/10
    Marketing: 0/10
  100. May 20, 2014
    This game isn't Nazi or west propaganda,is to be played on line,both factions are balanced,right now im enjoying play with Russians,is my everyday game,I must play at least one battle a day,Its the most addictive game in the market.

1. Oct 7, 2013