• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Jun 25, 2013
1.9

Overwhelming dislike- based on 5851 Ratings

1. Jun 25, 2013
    I never have technical issues with games. My computer is middle of the road, NVIDIA GTX 560 Windows 7 64 bit etc. However, this game would not start for me initially. Resolution was reduced to 800x600 (or less) the screen update was choppy. Figured out it would not go into fullscreen mode. So the first 3 hours were frustrating to say the least. From what I have seen of game play it looks ok. It is a shame that they released something that does not appear (from my perspective) to be quite ready. Expand
  2. Sep 19, 2013
    All I have to say about this game: This game is a mixed bag. A bag full of shame, microtransactions in a full priced game, vomit and diarrhea. I just can't imagine what relic was thinking when they said "Okay, these improvements are good (no they're not), make it a 50€ game, and add microtransactions". Thanks.

I checked on the game on release day, and after the atrocius beta version I
    admit I torrented it down. I knew this game WILL suck balls. Unbalanced, unoptimized and ugly like hell.

Maybe the worst-ever sequel, and worst-ever RTS game, but surely the worst RTS of the 2010s. Even Stalin vs The Martians is better than this.
  3. Jul 5, 2013
    Having played the game a while now I feel its nowhere near as good as the first one. I dont understand the decision to take out elements like building defenses ie tank traps bunkers dugouts etc, I loved that in the first game, but overall its not a bad game, just feels like there have been things taken out for the sake of making it different to COH 1

Still a few balancing issues to be
    sorted i think, and im sure we'll see countless patches like we did for the first one, its not grabbing me like the first one did

My opinion is if you've never played a COH game then get the first one with all the add on's and if youve bought the first one and are a fan of the game then this is just about worth a buy,.
  4. Jul 31, 2013
    Metacritic is BROKEN. I have just seen over 200 user reviews clearly written by the same person.
    I have no doubt that this is the case these hundreds of reviews. All taking about what a terrible war WWII was, how the writers family suffered etc. Many of them contain the exact same spelling mistake. All of them go on about "Russian suffereing" and hardly ever mention the game. Either one
    person using a bot to create accounts (very VERY simple) and post gazillions of reviews (very VERY simple using UBot 4.1 and some proxies). THis devalues Metacrtic and shows the arrogance of someone who thinks that their opinion in worth that of hundreds of other people and must be artificially aplified to ensure his will pervails. The sort of arrogance and method Stalin might have used if he were alive or Hitler! The game IS crap however. How on earth the magazones give it 8+ is beyond me. It's not a "0" though maybe a 3 but it is a very poor game. Terrible AI, poorly optimized, nerfed in terms of strategy from the original. Not very good at all. Just wish it could have earned this low score naturally rather then having someone so obviously force the issue with voting bots. Expand
  5. Jun 25, 2013
    Very disapointing, uses the same graphics engine, the graphics look very similar but it brings my 3770K and 680GTX to a halt. IT has very few improvements over the first game. This just screams cash in to me, Stick with the oringal CoH its much superior
  6. Jul 5, 2014
    9 for multi-player. 5 for single-player campaign. Less cut-scene and special script than COH1, I think developer have turn their focus to multi-player, just like what BF have did.
  7. Jul 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a good game but Need more map ,But can you doo bigger map !!!!Please !!!so little map Ai (cpu) ave 5 min to kick your ass ,,good graffic but lagging little Need too be optimise ,,!!!
    By the way i buy the DLC so pay 99$ too promote Relic ,,So doo map !!!

More map PLZ
  8. Jul 25, 2013
    Nazism. Fascism. Paul Joseph Goebbels. Hitler-Jugend. Propaganda. The Cold War. False. Deception. Manipulation of facts. Manipulation of citations. One-sided point of view. Russophobia. But this game the best strategy for the last 5 years.
  9. Jun 25, 2013
    To sum it all up, it's a great sequel. It amazed me how critical some of the reviews of this game were. Still, this is an honest 9 to honor a solid production.

Company of Heroes, the original, is still hailed as one of the best RTS's of all time. CoH 2 uses an enhanced version of it's engine, that adds some really nice gameplay features. At the same time, it maintains the original feel
    of that CoH 1 had. The grudging pushes to extend your frontline, the explosive sound, the chaotic dialogues, the tactical squad based combat... yep it's all still here.

I see a lot of players complaining about performance of this game, when compared to other shiny titles. Honestly, this is not your every day shiny title. The map is fully 3D and can be rotated to any angle. Almost all pixels, from the ones that make up dirt and pavement, to the ones that make up monstrous buildings, are dynamic, and can be destroyed or altered. The physics and combat feel realer than any strategy title before this. Even the original CoH took flak for being unable to run on high settings on most machines. Being a supercharged version of the same engine what did you expect?

The theatre of war is a great addition, and adds a nice way to take a break from competitive multiplayer. Small army perks can be gained through levels and combat, which adds incentive to play, while being small enough to not break the balance (which is well done now that the beta is over).

The new commander system is less taxing on your actions during gameplay. Fog of war, & vaulting are both improvements. The maps are beautiful and are incredibly interactive. Not to mention, campaign progress is stored on the cloud now!

I'm impressed. A job well done. Good rescue Sega.
  10. Feb 16, 2014
    I think Company of Heroes 2 is a great improvement over its first title. In all the time I spent playing (114h) I've never found even a single bug, crash, or any issues mentioned by other users, so I feel like this game is suffering a big boycott at this website from people who think they know very well what Stalin's policies were about during the 2nd World War. I think the game it's well developed historically speaking, taking into account that not only the Nazi faction committed atrocious crimes against humanity, and being clearly in favour of all the Russian soldiers who suffered the consequences of Stalin's war policies narrating them in the perspective of a soldier. While I don't think the storyline is anything great, it's definitely not biased.

The negative part of Company of Heroes 2 is that...: Would you like to have more commanders? Cash. Do you want more maps? Cash. Do you want more skins for your vehicles? Cash. Do you want anything we pretend to release since the first game's launch? Cash, cash, cash. I sincerely feel like I paid for the half part of a game which hasn't been finished and it's still under development.

In my opinion this is the best Real Time Strategy game at the moment. It's unique in its genre and it's clearly the one dominating in terms of quality. If you like fast paced real time strategy games, realism and the 2nd World War period, you should get it.
  11. Jan 3, 2014
    Okay, this game is fantastic and all the negative reviews on here are part of the protest by Russian gamers in response to the portrayal of the USSR in the course of World War 2 during the campaign. What else can I say? The story is great and honestly I didn't find the portrayal of soviets in a negative way at all. I found the regret of the higher command very honorable and for Isakovich to regret his use of his men after the war is to me very honorable.

12. Jul 31, 2013
    Can't even play the game. When I try to start it I get an error message saying "Company of heroes 2 has detected it is running in compatibility mode. This is unsupported and should be addressed before launching the game. Attempting to run in compatibility mode will cause the game to run improperly or likely crash. To solve this, ensure neither Company of Heroes 2 or Steam is running in compatibility mode."

There are some registry hacks out there to solve the problem, but it doesn't work for me.
  13. Jul 27, 2013
    This game is an insult of every Russian hero who died in war against fascism protecting people of his motherland from elimination. In almost any family in Russia now there are veterans or people lost in combat of WWII, and relic knowingly insulted them all. Lots of Russians soldiers lost their lives to prevent total defeat of France and divert attention of german “perfect race” which seek to eliminate or enslave lower races (all others). Russians soldiers as well paid with their lives for every day France and England delayed opening of second front. This error of a game deliberately replaces actual historical events with anti-Russian propaganda which can only be obtained from fascist, ignoramus, haters and complete idiots. And those are target group of this “game”.

Every year in 9 may we celebrate a day of victory where we can talk with the actual people who took part in combats of WWII and we know for a fact, that things presented in this game as historical events are outrageous, disgusting, stupid, illogical, senseless and shameful lies.

As an active buyer of licensed production, true gamer and patriot I want relic to know that from now on every time I see your production I will remember your attitude toward my country, my family and me as a part of it.
  14. Aug 14, 2013
    Amazing RTS as its finest.

Relic knows his way, they are the new 'Westwood' for me for a while since Blizzard started to stop innovating the genre after Warcraft III.

Rating it 9 because I was expecting a bit more more new stuff after vanilla CoH and CoH Online even though there is still some.
  15. Jul 25, 2013
    Great distortion of all historical reality. Anti historical and illogical and untrusted facts. Really Nazi propaganda game F-off authors of this merde.
  16. Jul 29, 2013
    Russian army burning Russian villages with people inside? "Scorched earth" tactics? Relic, you're miserable fascist motherf*ckers. There are hundreds of villages Russia, as well as Ukraine and Belarus, burnt by nazis, some with 10 people, some with 1000. Russia is covered with memorial stones built on ashes. Search for "Operation Winterzauber", for example. COH2 is not just yet another cheesy anti-Russian crap, it's something way worse. What's next, COH3 showing Jews mass murdering innocent nazis in death camps? I'm sure developer's nazi granddads would love that. Expand
  17. Jul 24, 2013
    >Having all Relic WH40K games I expected better value for the price. Bad performance, crashes and silly plot. Portraying of Russians in a "historical" game was ridiculous. Orcs look like a charming persons compared with these "evil russkies".

Totally agreed. Sad but true.
  18. Jun 26, 2013
    Bad optimization ,poor campaign ,stupid AI, minor changes from first COH.
    Very high price for this game,useless dlc with collections edition.
    On my ssd is a first game with long loading time about 30-40 sec.
  19. Jul 24, 2013
    This game is a nazi propaganda. Joseph Goebbels applauds to the Relics studio.
    From now on, i will never buy Relic games. People who made that game should be sued as nazi criminals.
  20. Nov 18, 2013
    I had so much fun on this game.

One of the best RTS games available at the moment.

I have no idea whether the history is correct or not but to be honest, I really don't care.

It's just a game
  21. Aug 5, 2013
    Trash game. Paul Joseph Goebbels: Wir suchen nicht die Wahrheit, und die Wirkung. Wenn Sie eine Lüge groß genug und sprechen wird es wiederholen, werden die Leute schließlich glauben.
  22. Apr 13, 2014
    Please ignore the reviews below 7. This game has been attacked by Russians who can`t tell what is true about WWII in any case.

I just picked this game few days ago and man, it is so good! A wonderful RTS set in horrible days of World War II.

In singleplayer campaign that takes about 12 hours, you get to play the Soviets (Russians).Everything here is realistic. Very bad Red Army made
    of amateurs, not able to command anything, with inferior commanders, coward soldiers and poor machinery. They even shot a lot of their own people for no reason. This is all recreated in the game, the player depends mostly on Soviet cannonfodder in the first missions with it getting a little better with poor T34 tanks for example.

There are some problems with the game.
    1. In sp you can`t play as the Germans.
    2. It needs a very strong pc to run good (but when you do the graphics are very nice).
    3. AI can be very stupid at times.

Nonetheless this game provides very realistic battles in a realistic enough setting so it is very satisfying, even when you play as Stalin lover.

Wonderful, beautiful game 10/10.
  23. Sep 6, 2013
    Played this for around 8 days now and purchased it off Steam the other day so paid full price because I thought it would be worth it. I was extremely sad to realise the lack of effort and innovation they have put into this game. I thought after all this time they could have made it a lot better and all it is pretty much is COH 1 remastered with newer textures and graphics. Complete waste of money, absolute joke. Expand
  24. Aug 4, 2013
    I am not a citizen of Russia, but the story of CoH2 completely wrong. The answer of Relic on official forum "citizens of Russia see their story in good way only" incorrectly. Relic took wrong talking of history.
  25. Jul 1, 2014
    They patched it and brought it up to the quality of COH1. 8/10. The new expansion is the true successor to CoH1. Buy the Western Armies expansion and skip CoH2 if you have to.
  26. Jul 24, 2013
    Probably one of the most stupid scenarios in RTS games.
    It was surprised that in Relic there are a lot of admirers of creativity of Goebbels. Well, I will never buy your games.
  27. Jun 25, 2013
    For the love of god DON'T BUY IT! This game is a failure on so many levels. Firstly as some of you could have guessed somebody was going to complain about, day one DLC, I don't care what anybody says content created pre-release should be in the game, especially when it is important content like commanders etc. Secondly the campaign is horribly done they have put almost no work into this campaign making it a chore to play through (besides that fact like some other users have pointed out I feel like the campaign is a slight bit racist towards Russians). Thirdly as you might also have guessed almost NOTHING HAS CHANGED seriously this is just ridiculous, basically what they have added is a semi-working version of true sight, weather (snow), Russians. As far as I can tell they haven't done a thing to improve the AI nor have they improved on any of the other hampering game mechanics. Really I don't see where all the work they claim has gone into this project is because as far as I can tell this is a DLC adding the Russians and little else. If your argument is if it works why change it then one they shouldn't make almost the exact same game and sell it as if it's a new release, second company of heroes has a lot of room for improvement so don't try to ruse people into believing the game was perfect. Expand
  28. Aug 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It seems that nobody either knows the history of WWII on the eastern front,or doesn't want to show it. Once again we are shown that apparently Russians are evil and are the bad guys here. How they all were just running at the machine gun fire and that the other half of the army was behind them ready to kill anyone who tries to run back. This racist, Anti-Russian storyline is rather becoming annoying. When Americans are liberating the France while getting killed, we hear of their honor, when we hear of Russians liberating THEIR OWN LAND, suddenly they are shown as merciless and coward like. I hope game companies will start writing truthful stories,because this is annoying and because of such story,nobody will buy this game in Russia obviously,which is a loss for Relic obviously. Expand
  29. Jun 26, 2013
    GOOD: The game is very fun, dynamic, and challenging. The single player missions are incredibly challenging and varied, while the multiplayer is just as chaotically fun as it was in Company of Heroes 2. The gameplay changes made, I feel, are also an improvement (cover is no longer invincibility and point capturing and defending are much easier. If find the weather very challenging and strategically stimulating) The maps available are very well-designed and fun to war around in.

BAD: The game lacks content badly, and the new commanders are fairly boring and homogeneous compared to the ones from Company of Heroes 1. Additionally, the use of the same old engine with slightly beefed up graphics has caused a performance dive.

Wait to buy it if you don't have a high-end PC. If you do have one and are hungry for a new RTS to play, it's worth the purchase.
  30. Aug 29, 2014
    The game is definitely improving from the very poor launch. New multiplayer lobbies with annihilate is the most welcome addition. The in-game feedback popups also show that devs are trying to make the game better. There's still imbalance, most notably with the OKW from the new expansion, but the game is much better than it used to be
  31. Feb 24, 2014
    Not as well balanced as the original with less interesting units, abilities and combos. As of me writing this, Relic is finally getting around to updating the matchmaking system (about 9 years late), so hopefully the changes are improvements.

Russia seems to have brought hell down on Relic. One point that I can sympathize over; its company of HEROES, where in the single player campaign
    you follow a traitor and cry baby Russian who was anything but a hero.

In multiplayer they have greatly reduced the importance of countering units with other units. It has been dulled down by simply bringing numbers and using range attacks. Hopefully this gets fixed in later patches and this game lives up to what we would expect as a continuation of Company of Heroes.
  32. Jan 5, 2014
    i love this game. great graphic, gameplay and historically accurate. Just like in the history book, despite what some brainwashed individuals here claim. What more could you possibly want from a game.
  33. Jul 10, 2013
    just buy COH1 its better than this game poorly optimized rubbish and i don't know were these developers get of charging £40 for a pc games what a rip off joke avoided it at all cost but maybe buy it in a sale when its about £25 do yourself a favor.
  34. Aug 3, 2013
    This game is a fail in most aspects, except of racial discrimination.
    Bad graphic, stupid AI, little boring maps, few and unbalanced units, but a lot of disgusting cliches about Russians.
    Shame on you, Relic!
  35. Jul 18, 2013
    I like the game but I give it a 5 because the whole game isn't here. The story is short and lacks and real fun levels and all I can say about the DLC levels is F*CK you Relic/Sega whatever.

The story is basically a story of bad guy vs bad guy and at the end your are just like yay! we setup the USSR... great.

Honestly go buy part 1 and skip this one...
  36. Jan 13, 2014
    - terrible,stupid sp (full of worst kind of propaganda by the way :) )

+fun and diverse mp and that is only thing that i care for. Many units and strategies. Good balance.
  37. Jun 27, 2013
    This game is a good one, but it's far from being a great one. Mechanic didn't change much since the first CoH, but sometimes it's better to stick to the roots than to change everything over, and this game is the example of good-old mechanic which works. Graphics are nice, and online multiplayer is tough and action-packed. But the game is far from being great, what works well in multiplayer, doesn't work in the campaign mode just as well. Next issue I've got with this game is its historical accuracy, and it's a big one, If you don't mind it, just buy a game, for a person who's not concerned with history this can be easily an 8-9 out of ten. For those who are however, it delivers story in a classic cold-war era fashion, with a horribly disgusting portrayal of soviets, some details of the story so focused on "anti-Russian" propaganda that they don't make any sense, like burning your own people alive, and soldier saying something like "We will fight to the death!" and another replies sarcastically "Like we have any choice", what choice is he talking about? Surrender to become Nazi slave? You've got your usual "bad red" package, firing squads, penal divisions, murder of POWs and so on. It is an ok game, but politics held it from becoming a great one, first CoH was absolutely politically neutral, but this one is the real blast from the past, with all cold-war stereotypes in place. Sad-sad-sad. Expand
  38. Aug 18, 2013
    Looks like the "Russians" are running a campaign to downvote this game through hook or crook. The 0s are way to obvious and cheap. I won't spam votes but I feel the game deserves a fair chance at a very reasonable price it being offered at.
  39. Nov 18, 2013
    Ignore the negative reviews.. Most are by Russians who wouldn't know real history if they were shoved into a gulag and made to peel potatoes. This is an exceptional RTS a refined version of the original COH and as historically accurate as a game can get without it being boring. For the RTS fan this is a real treat.
  40. Jun 28, 2013
    I loved the original and I really like what they did with Company of Heroes 2. RTS fans should not miss this one because it involves a lot of strategy (setting traps, surviving blizzards and environmental effects I actually took out a tank by breaking the ice underneath it with a moltov grenade). This game is much more involved than an RTS like SC2 or C&C and I would have given it a 10 if it wasn't for the limited 'ways' to play multiplayer a small but legitimate weakness that can be fixed with future updates. Expand
  41. Aug 6, 2013
    Je mets 10 pour équilibrer, cause des trolls qui ont du mal avec l'histoire. La campagne est plaisante et captivante de long en large, elle offre un vision réaliste du front de l'est. Les graphismes sont plus fins, la représentation des 2 camps est plus réaliste.

Le gameplay est toujours aussi prenant sans qu'on ait besoin d'être coréen pour s'en sortir. Certes ça manque un peu de
    nouveautés (A noter que les nouveaux mécanismes de jeux dus au blizzard sont bien pensés) mais la recette est suffisamment efficace pour passer un bon moment. Vu la rareté des bon jeux de stratégie, pourquoi s'en priver? Expand
  42. Apr 25, 2014
    The first Company of Heroes was greatest WWII strategy, but Company of Heroes 2 is worst game of Relic.This game has no historical evidence. This is nazi game for nazis.
  43. Jun 25, 2013
    I got the original COH and played it a little bit, but not extensively, so I don't know COH very well. So going into COH 2, it's pretty much a new game to me.
    I have to say, it was difficult to get into at first, but now that I've figured out the mechanics, I really love this game. I don't have hours to play a single game, so Theater of War is perfect for me. Can get in, play a 30-40 min
    game, and get out.
    Excellent game, and I'm very happy with the purchase!
  44. Jul 10, 2013
    The game is great for those players, who have never ever been played CoH before. All other old long termed hardcore CoH1 Players is it disappointing. There are a couple of reasons for disappointments:
    - KI feels unfinished, mainly because the soldiers of any kind of fraction dies to quick and they are running partially all over the place, to cover soldiers behind walls etc. is not
    possible.
    - Graphics still on the first release of 2006, in highest settings this game is unplayable even on a high end pc
    - The gameplay without a proper setup of function keys is absolutely rubbish and I believe after thinking of some other SEGA releases, that it seems to be a big internal SEGA issue.
    But: It is still Company of Heroes and I have to wait what sega/relic will do on the update front for this game. I like it, but I am not happy with it.
  45. Aug 29, 2013
    I love what they have done, the eastern front is so much fun.

The game looks great and sounds amazing, the MP is brilliant and has a lot of unlocks which lets you customise your army which makes for some interesting plays.

Get it now!
  46. Aug 17, 2013
    No where near as good as the first one, but still a solid RTS. And seriously people, make your rating based off of game play and not some part of the campaign where its "offensive towards Russians."
  47. Jun 25, 2013
    The campaign is a little hokey but (in my humble opinion) is fairly challenging and long enough to be worth it. To top it off, Theater of War adds a ton of replayability and allows those who don't like competitive multiplayer or who have friends that aren't great at RTS games to get a lot of value out of the title. I'm looking forward to seeing them add onto this feature.

The game is
    gorgeous for an RTS even on fairly low settings, though it can be a little too muddy at times. The UI is chunky but well rendered and really informative (those unit cards at the top left make army control quite easy). Gameplay is excellent, if unforgiving (just like all of Relic's titles).

People, I think, are understating the effect that some simple changes will have on the game. Requisitioning destroyed vehicles and heavy guns is huge, and vaulting obstacles makes infantry a lot more mobile. Add in all of the ColdTech stuff (destroyable ice, units freezing in deep snow, and blizzards) and I think there's a lot here to keep people occupied.

The music and sound effects are just stellar.

I usually play on fairly low settings to make gameplay smoother and am not experiencing game-altering slowdowns, though mileage is sure to vary here. I'm totally hooked and look forward to years of stoming the Wermacht for the glory of the Rodina! :p
  48. Jul 11, 2013
    What happend to Metacritic? Its has almost reached the same level as amazon.com when it comes to user reviews... so many biased post, It's almost unbearable. I feel sorry for Relic because they had a very hard time (THQ gone bankrupt) and COH2 was on the edge to be thrown in the paperbox. Sega bought Relic and they could finish this product but it was a troublesome development... under those conditions I have to say that this game is actually really good.

I'm sure that Relic will improve on this game with new units, new factions and other features... just like they did with COH1. At the moment COH1 maybe is the better game (aside from graphics) but COH1 was released in 2006 and had tons of balance/content patches and some addons, so you can expect it to be a bit better! COH2 will reach that level in the future... but you have to be patient.

_________________________

Now that this has been said, I actually like this game. I've spent about 100 hours into the online mode already (have not even played the campaign yet) and I totally love it. The early game was a bit unbalanced but yesterday (10th july) the first balance patch was released and they addressed the issues and the next patch will most likely address mid and/or late game. There will be new TOTW missions as well (I finished all TOTW1941 missions on highest difficulty, they where entertaining).

I would give this game 8/10 for its current state but because of all those hater-post I'm going to give it a 10... its really sad how the gamerbase has changed... and NO this review is not bought by relic, as some paranoid users tend to say about other people's opinions on this game.
  49. Aug 6, 2013
    One of the best RTS in the last few years. Good campaign, enjoyable gameplay and solid story, Relic did a great job. I didn't encounter any bugs so far.
  50. Nov 29, 2013
    I played the beta, seemed it would turn to be ok, But afther a few months i baught it cheap on steam. And i already regret it. Gameplay does not come near to the first one. In part one you could choose between playing with a lot of micro (pvp) or build a nice defence and play relexed. This last way of relexed playing is not possilbe anymore. Even againts normal cpu i have to micro all over the battlefield all the time. I do not always want to play like that. German armor seemed to be made of glas, it takes ages to kill infantery with a normal p4. Im spending more time repairing tanks and heal my inf then im actualy fighting. Its just a bad choice to choose this engine. Perhaps its a nice game for the people who love playing against other people. But i cant play it as a relexed game like i did coh1. Imo crap. I believe the makers dont understand what all the strengts where of the first part. Furthermore they make this game a milking cow with all their dlc's. All these commanders with basicly all the same abilitys but a bit reshuffeled.

The popcap is way to low, you can only have a handfull of units. No way you can leave a defence force at one place because you just cant afford it. You just move to one point to the other, finding out that the opponent just recaps the places you just captured. Boring.

So disappointed. lucky i can still play the first part.
  51. Jul 26, 2013
    The worst game ever. The game made by nazis.
    All the scenario is based on Joseph Goebbels's propaganda. Why didn't you show russian soldiers as real heroes which saved not only their country but the whole Europe? It's a shame to do the game like this!
  52. Aug 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Shame of Relic for the release of such games ,Distortion of historical data is a crime and violation of the law .
    I do not have nothing against the game itself, but the story line is terrible to tears it's disrespect of war veterans, Relic hurt not only Russia but also Ukraine and Belarus
  53. Jul 25, 2013
    Cmon guys, its 21th century, throw aside cold war cliches... Surely you can do better. We were Allies, remeber? Please think about it. Don't repeat Nazi propaganda.
  54. Oct 11, 2013
    This game has been marketed as a serious historical accuracy one, and the dev said they had done enough homework for the history. Well it seems that they've learned history from old cold war propaganda, and talking about the historical accuracy, I think even Stalin vs Martians does history better than this crap.
  55. Aug 1, 2013
    Company of Heroes 2 is a good example why so many people install a pirated game first before deciding if the game is worth purchasing. The storyline is complete bull and frankly offensive. Included in this game are exaggerations, intentional historical inaccuracies and anti-Slavic sentiment.

To the makers of this game: swallow and choke on a bag of djcks.
  56. Jul 27, 2013
    I honestly don't know what there is to say about this game. There really isn't much to say. It's mediocre. The campaign is boring and feels extremely detached. Campaign missions have no real story depth, poorly designed, and fails to create an sense of the epic scale of the Eastern Front. Where did the epic tank battles go? When did the intense fighting for Berlin go? No interesting characters. Mediocre.

Gameplay is essentially the same as the previous installment, just with the interesting gameplay elements and units removed and replaced by the same unit that comes in different variations. Commander abilities are also uninteresting. Some units are blatantly better than others.

Sound and audio are essentially the same as the previous game. Around the same quality. Dialogue seems awkward and boring.

Mediocre.
  57. Aug 2, 2013
    Experimental stimulus FAILURE: This is not the 1980's why on earth is there political anti-Russian propaganda so thickly applied, and not even hidden perceived at all it's blatant and offensive. Battlefield 3 is on the same boat as you now. Anti-Russian wave is quite horridly impassible. Have you companies not tried approaching history in a alien point of view? Dijksterhuis & Nordgren would laugh in the face of Relic and EA for this failure in trying to change peoples behaviors and personalities. People are NOT this easily controlled. Expand
  58. Aug 6, 2013
    Why metacritic allow to leave comments and rate games without checking users steam profile or something, just to check, did this player actually play this game?
    Because mighty army of hamsters, who did not even play, just came here and unfairly lowered the rating of game.
    First of all, THIS IS JUST A GAME, also scenario is not important here.
    AND IT HAVE PEGI 18+, so childrens did not
    allow to play this. Use parental control software if you aware.
    This is multiplayer based game. Just like campaing in battlefield 3/bad company 2.
    And of course, in my country (Russia) our main distributor "1C" took this game off sales, because petition has gathered 15k signatures. What it if not censor? I hope Gabe will ignore the petition.

I am against censorship.
  59. Dec 8, 2013
    I have a decent rig and find that I can't even run the performance test on COH2 without severe stuttering at the lowest settings. Horrible optimization from a game that I expected to be better than the original. Stick with the original, this one is broken!
  60. Jul 23, 2013
    False game from nazis. FREAKS! Developers say lies. They humiliated USSR, told false story which doesn't correspond to reality. Would kill developers
  61. Jul 24, 2013
    "Dirty, Russophobe, anti-Soviet propaganda.
    I'd like to send the developers at the time, they are even written by hand, which would be shot them in the back of a penal battalion.
    Do not buy or play this piece of cheap propaganda.
    Do not litter your brain. "

62. Oct 11, 2013
    A complete travesty this game is. I really enjoyed the first CoH games. When I finally got CoH2 I was expecting it to be a beautiful RTS based on WW2. Instead all I got was the same CoH graphics, only buggier, jagged, and far laggier. The game was pretty much the same. No, it was a step back! The campaign is absolute garbage. I also picked up on the slight racism towards the Russians and glorifying the Germans. As a Russian I felt a bit annoyed.
    Multiplayer is slighty better quality, but the lack of a lobby pits you with random players, most of which lag severely or drop out in the first 5 minutes of the game.

What an awful game. Get the first Company of Heroes games over this POS.
  63. Jun 25, 2013
    Great games overall. Even though it isn't as wowing as when the first company of heroes came out, it still got a huge improvement on graphics and it is a great game. The campaign is still as good as the first one, long and emotional.
  64. Sep 14, 2013
    ZEROes the community here on metacritic is making metacritic not even work properly, this game isn't a ZERO how ridiculous, either hate it or love it, that's not what metacritic measures, give it a score. Ok this game does seem like a lot of sequels go backward instead of forward, I don't believe this game is any better at all from COH 1, but yet it is a good stand alone Russian front playable game, the snow I thought would be corny, but I really like it. Its kind of like COH in respect to gameplay the Russian infantry is about as strong as US infantry and tanks and cars do pretty much the same thing. I like the commanders but there is not a forked tech tree you pick a commander and you go linear down their tech. This game isn't a step forward its a good game, but it doesn't move the ball down the field at all, Expand
  65. Jul 27, 2013
    God, this gaem is just horridle. I canot stand the situations of the story.
    i was buying the game and at the store. then i come home and sat on on my computer.
    i just was holding a hammer in left wrist and sickle in right wehn the mission starts.
    after the I saw Stalina eating a children in the head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I canot believe such a gaem can be of making and selling
    to people!!!
    this is a total really lie to my grandpa friends with stalin and stalin did not eat children even when because germany had 11 summers old kids in cannons to shoot to "BAD" communist .

Too, the game also is hating the motherland tank that Liberated germany of nazists AND TRUE POWER TO RUSSAI

i wanting now to get money for this this game Men of Company 2
  66. Jul 27, 2013
    Fake game based on fake history. Would'v ban this game if I could. Amount of absurd reached limits long before mid game. Bugs, lags, overhype. Outcome is rubbish.
  67. Aug 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. shame on you Relic..
    I cant Understand Why you try to change the history and how can you make the Soviet Union as a bad guys... are you serious its a propaganda.. not a game.. just shame on you.. pls guys dont buy that game !
    PLS DONT BUY THAT GAME..
    its a lie I will never buy anything you make any more..
    i have all DOW and COH 1...
    shame on you..
  68. Jul 24, 2013
    I can't understand. What was that? I don't see any logic in the plot of the game. All these fictional facts, inadequate and illogical actions on the part of the Soviet Army.I know that NKVD was shooting everyone who was trying to leave the battle or soldiers which were captured by nazis. But burning own villages? What? I thought nazis were doing crap like that.
    What an idiot you have to
    be to make such a storyline? Expand
  69. Jul 18, 2013
    The game has the feel of COH 1, but lacks hte realism that COH 1 had. You cannot flank a Anti-tank unit and easily kill everyone. The mechanics still believe that the crew has the shield blocking the shots. Plus, the lack of defenses for the Russians make it seem that they are always on the offensive.I think its still alot of fun and brings new strageties to the table, but COH 2 should of brough the japanese into play as well, instead of bring more germans. Expand
  70. Aug 9, 2013
    while I have greatly enjoyed previous installments of Company of Heroes (and for that matter I still am as Tales of Valor is still on Quick Launch), I cannot say the same about CoH2. I have waited for this game anxiously just to find a game that is full of regurgitated gameplay, regurgitated clinches and pretty much nothing spectacular.
    Aside the story being nothing but a posterchild for
    "barbaric, savage soviets" cliches and disrespecting the people that fought that war, the game brings nothing significantly new when compared to CoH aside higher system requirements and snow.
    My advice don't rush into buying this game yet (like I did), look for some other game or wait for the price to get lower if you want to have it. In the meantime play CoH, you won't loose anything important.
  71. Aug 9, 2013
    This game is a direct insult to the heroes of the second world war, who sacrificed their lives for the victory. Not even worth talking about the low level of the game itself that bothers 3 hours
  72. May 31, 2014
    Good things: solid competetive multiplayer, only decent RTS out there that's not Starcraft, pretty immersive
    Bad things: terrible astonishingly bad matchmaking, constant balance problems, game unstability leading to freezes and crashes, very greedy DLC policy
    I only play it because there isn't any good RTS out there. It's a big shame THQ had to sell Relic to Sega, because the latter one
    is a bunch of greedy morons who only care about money and it shows in CoH 2. Expand
  73. Aug 1, 2013
    If you read only one thing in this review, read this: The reviews on this page got bombed by eastern europeans that were upset at how the game portrayed characters on the soviet side.

That being said, the game is amazing. If you're a fan of COH1, you'll love COH2. Everything across the board has saw an improvement, and the balance is really the only thing patches are touching on now. As
    with any RTS, expect the balance changes to continue until COH3 comes out, but as it stands the current balance is incredibly well set up. Expand
  74. Sep 24, 2013
    Excellent game, and a SPOT ON portrayal of the communists. I know that a lot of russians take exception to their dark and terrible history, in which they have NOTHING to be proud of and EVERYTHING to be shamed of, but they should not expect the rest of the world to indulge in that fantasy.

Even many russian youth are embracing far-right activity, as they know full well how evil and
    wrong communism is on so many levels.

Kudos to the developers for creating such a wonderful game that ACCURATELY portrays the commies for what they were.
  75. Jul 28, 2013
    thank god for decide not to buy this game yet and see how score is going. this game is worth to pirate to see how awful it is. lie. lair. historical inaccurate (and insulting). copy & paste gameplay. scam.
  76. Jun 25, 2013
    Campaign is waaaayyy too easy even on highest setting you can't even lose, also the missions are too short. Theathre of war is also waay too easy and it lack co-op campaigns (only 4??) and a lobby system.

Multiplayer is full of units nobody ever uses (t-34, guards, IS-2, pak40 ETC.) also the multiplayer have the same sh*t network system as the other Relic games. Also dissapointed that
    again CoH releases with only 2 armies...

Would have gotten a 9/10 in 2006 but for 2013 very dissapointent, almost no improvement from the original.. not worth 60 euros.
  77. Aug 3, 2013
    I doubt that developers of this piece of know nothing about history. They do.

So, they are making propaganda very similar to Nazis propaganda. May be with similar intentions?
  78. Jan 8, 2014
    The "Mein Kampf" of videogames. Avoid this piece of revisionism. Makes me wonder if Relic are neo-nazi's or just plain ignorant. Maybe both. This game should be banned
  79. Aug 13, 2013
    Relic should have read a history book before making this game, it's shameful the way this game was developed in every aspect, gameplay is broken, a.i. is dead-stupid, no innovation at all, not even a good paint job to make it flashier than the original, nothing, fans get nothing out of this game, it's an utter disappointment, it's that bad, this game is irreparable, hopefully the sequel will fix everything wrong with this one, relic owes it to the fans to make a good COH Expand
  80. Aug 3, 2013
    Its a Nazi game made by Nazi for a Nazi. Its last game from this company i ever bye and i hope it will restricted in russia. Poor grafik and idiotic story from Soljenicin and Dr. Gebels.
  81. Jul 26, 2013
    everyone who whines that it's true. running to teach history.
    the game is based on a full box.
    I understand that the countries of Europe only life were all cowards.
    but not again be conducted on what fascism is cool.
  82. Jun 25, 2013
    A solid entry in the CoH series if not that big of a leap forward.

As a beta tester I can attest that many of the new mechanics that the game brings to the table take a while to understand, which is probably why there are so many negative early impressions. While the Germans play similarly to factions in CoH1, the Soviets have a very unique style that takes a while to master. Until
    you become familiar with their tactics, Germans will seem to have the upper hand.

Winter is a unique element that brings a lot of change with it. Do you rush an attack before the storm hits or do you bunker down and wait it out? Better yet, what if you prepare your troops for the storm with transports and fire and attack while your enemy is unaware? Knowing how to make use of storms is often the difference between victory and defeat.

Also, for anyone complaining about day one dlc; take a look at what it actually is first. Most of the offered items are cosmetic skins for your vehicles. Throughout the course of the game you unlock skins anyways and most of the paid ones are not going to look that unique. As for the commander DLC, they all appear to variations on commanders already in the game so even if you are missing them, it’s not going to impact the game much.
  83. Jul 25, 2013
    If not take a scenario it's really a good strategy. But i just cant close my eyes on this piece of sh&t. Our Russin heroes win this war for piece on the planet it's not emotion, it's true) and after all this you just dip them in I'm not even going to ask if you have a conscience or not. After all this lies and propaganda you will suffer punishment, not a physical but something more.
  84. Jul 23, 2013
    If you care about real history don't buy it.
    Scenario of this game is trying to discredit and mix with dirt Russian history, giving the wrong idea of ​​what happened during the World War 2.
  85. Jan 7, 2014
    The average user score is CORRECT, it is about a 2/10. It is such a shame, really, as I have been playing COH since its inception in 2006. The rev 2 version is bugged, crashes often, needs a high end rig and video card, and just plain not balanced. You can't re-bind your keys, the MP often de-synchs, and the list goes on and on. Do I play it? Sure. Is Men of War Assault Squad better? YES
  86. Jun 27, 2013
    I do not rate games based on their launch, the beauty of PC is the healing virtues of time (think Total War). You must compare this game with COH 1 to understand it the best. I have over 1200 hours logged on the first COH, and as I sit here to write there are so many things that COH 2 does better.

First, it doesn't matter what people say, the graphics are better, with more dynamic
    physics, albeit on the more arcade style which looks cooler. The HUD is so much more useful allowing much greater control over units and keeping on top of game events macro is easier.

Thank the Lord there are no more micro exploits that ruined the old game (or just made skill gaps crazy). 7 years of the old game got a lot of these vets use to crap like blocking bridges with tank traps and kt carcasses, so yeah that is definitely better. No more cloaked snipers and vehicles spying on your army from behind hedgerows or sneaking in the middle of your troops. If you love cramped and funneled fighting I am sure there will be maps made to bring back the INfamous Hochwald Gap and the Schledt, two of the most unbalanced maps people are hopelessly addicted two from the old game.

The true sight is brilliant and allows for much more creative defensive styles. Also, weather is a nice twist with a dash of realism to spice the game up over the last one.

I mostly hear about how Germans are OP, but I play as the Russians 90% of the time, and I have won over 80% of my matches, so it goes both ways based in skill and luck.

Let us not forget that the original CoH was just the Americans and Wehrmacht, so I expect to see expansion packs in the future.

This game loses score because they have gone absolutely overboard with skins and commander trees to nickel and dime all their customers. Plus the multiplayer has gone the COD route and levels no longer equal skill. The way the lobby operates, you will never know if you are about to get a beat down from a practiced team of friends with mics or face up against noobs. Plus, there is too much dropping and lag issues right now.

Thus I give this game an 8 out of 10, but in two years I expect to give it a 10 out of 10.
  87. Jul 11, 2014
    The first "Company of Heroes" was a rare milestone in RTS games. Not only did it master the art of telling a good story, it also added realistic, fun game play features, especially when it came to facing of units. It was smooth, balanced, well crafted, innovative, addictive and downright amazing.

For CoH2, I expected more of the same. Before I played it, I honestly thought Russians were
    just getting all patriotic and whiny about the plot. After playing most of the campaign, I gotta admit the criticism is well founded. Russians are stereotypical EVIL in this game. It's like a cold war spy movie. The Russian officers gladly kill every surviving solider after a heroic defensive battle, JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT.

Nazis in CoH2 however seem to be good, upstanding citizens - I have yet to see a single nazi war crime in the game. While playing one can only conclude that your guys are fighting for the wrong side. Anyway, story sucks and is written by someone who has no idea what Russia in WWII was all about. Enough about it.

Graphics are pretty, squads work well, campaign maps are well-made. The same features that make CoH special are still there, but newly added features are rather uninteresting. The Russian winter is represented by jumps from bonfire to bonfire. Neither very interesting in terms of game play, nor historically correct: Standing right next to a huge bonfire on the front line of a war where the enemy has artillery and snipers doesn't seem like the best idea to me.

The game is not a bad game - it's relatively fun to play, looks good and never crashed for me. However it fails to add anything, and the story is downright idiotic. More missions have been published as DLC, but I can't say I'm hankering for more of CoH2.
  88. Jun 25, 2013
    Why is it okay for games like Starcraft, Call of Duty, Battlefield to remain the same every year yet people are okay with it but this game cant? Why ruin one of the best RTS games made. They have added on to it to make it even better. It's a fantastic game and well worth the wait.
  89. Jun 26, 2013
    Most negative reviews state the lack of changes on the game, but every RTS has its own style I don't want another StarCraft, Total War, Warhammer, Civilization, etc. I want to play Company of heroes 2 the same I enjoyed years ago with better graphics and improved gameplay...
  90. Jul 27, 2013
    The game is absolutely a joke. No plot, no likable characters, no gameplay. Only a trolling of fellings of a some group of man. Absolutely bad game.
  91. Aug 6, 2013
    Well I guess it boils down to this. How close to the quick do you want to cut in your depiction of war? The Russians may want to be shown as the Allies, which they were without question, but they did order and authorise firing on their own troops, so you can't have it all ways. Historical accuracy isn't going to paint the prettiest picture.

Plus, if the stories coming out of Russia just
    now are to be believed... What they are doing to their own people right now for what sexuality they are is pretty damn grim and does not in any way "represent the best of human qualities like bravery, cunning, self-sacrificial courage and honesty". That's another story though. Expand
  92. Jun 29, 2013
    Micromanagement, twitch RTS. Too fast to enjoy. AI infantry swarms. Easy mode is too hard. Back to the original for me. Invincible AI infantry and little incentive to built advanced mechanised units. Spam infantry to win command point victory.
  93. Jul 4, 2013
    terrible performance issues same graphics as the old game absolutly nuthing has changed here i cant believe this scam they really are juts cashing in on the name no effort was made when making this game and it shows steer clear.
  94. Jun 25, 2013
    WW2 is outdated for CoH. And nothing new. Like an expansion pack. :P Don't waste your money and time for this. I am still waiting for new "Modern" Company of Heroes.
  95. Jun 25, 2013
    The games go has this- The Russian play their hearts out while the germans wait till they get panzers then win simple has that.
    Weather system is dumb since russiand rely on infantry so much and they still get affected by the weather putting them down for several minutes while the germans run in with their overpowered tanks.
  96. Jun 25, 2013
    While it looked promising during the beta the fact that Relic didn't even bother to put in any extra Multiplayer maps proves that they too have turned and have chosen to go for the easy money rather than the support of their community.

All they basically did since the beta is add the singleplayer campaign, that is it.

The same four basic maps that didn't really feel well put together
    and were generally just boring to play are the only maps we'll be able to play multiplayer on.

Multiplayer is a pretty important aspect of this game, unfortunately the thieves at Relic are too busy grubbing over money to actually give two ****

Do not purchase this game or any games by Relic, these have gone Actiblizzard and will be pushing over priced DLC our way in no time.

Want extra maps Pay for 'em!

**** you Relic.
  97. Jul 2, 2013
    It was an amazing experience, my only grip is that the main campaign is to short, but it is great how the campaign evolve, in the first missions when you have to play defending all you can, you can experience the lack of resources an gear that the russian army actually have to suffer, then the war advance and the winter became the factor that let the russians reorganice a counter atack and your equipment and gear improves acordingly, well i like it and and i recommend to anyone who whants a great challenge and a bit of history lessons (betwen loading screens) Expand
  98. Jul 27, 2013
    1 rifle for 2 russian soldiers (check) - russian soldiers shooting down their own retreating squads (check) - russian soldiers burning their own homes with civilians inside (check) - russian soldiers killing friendly guerrilla forces (check) - russian soldiers being thrown on machineguns in waves without any cover (check) - russian soldiers being shot by their own for saving high ranked officer (checked)
    - russian soldiers complaining about not having a choice. Choice during war? Well, there was atleast one. Like ening up in german gas chamber.

Total absence of logic and rule of stereotypes and cliche about evil red army. Relic depicts us military force that was suicidial in every way possible, unwilling to fight and win despite fighting on the native soil, for their own families. Red army was retreating first 3 years of this war. Retreating and shooting down everyone who was retreating from the frontlines. Right. For 3 years in a row. Then after 3 years, red army commanders understood that despite their best efforts of suiciding they still fail in their mission. So they sighed and decided to go into attack for a change and happened to defeat Germany within next 2 years. Seems totally legit.

"20 millions soviet lives for 1 photo" Ha, ha. Never go full retard relic, never.
  99. Aug 4, 2013
    COH2 is a solid RTS with terrifying and gritty battlefield ambiance. In the explosions and gunfire, you can feel the thrill and panic of positions being overrun, of the enemy turning your flank, of ordering your squads into defensive positions to stem the enemy's advance.

A lot of the negative reviews I see have to do with the main campaign and its outcome. Possibly the campaign says
    things people don't like or agree with, hence a negative review. I personally haven't played much of the campaign, but I've played a lot of the multiplayer, and I can vouch that the multiplayer aspect is fun and well developed.

It's an excellent RTS, though perhaps the price could be a bit lower for what you receive...
  100. Aug 9, 2013
    I've never written a game review before but I just wanted to say that this game is terrible. Why is it called company of heroes? It should have been called Company of cowards. This game is an offence to all heroes of WWII. WTF relic? Are you crazy? Who wrote this sh*t? Hitler???

1. Oct 7, 2013