• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Jun 25, 2013
1.9

Overwhelming dislike- based on 5686 Ratings

1. Jun 25, 2013
    I never have technical issues with games. My computer is middle of the road, NVIDIA GTX 560 Windows 7 64 bit etc. However, this game would not start for me initially. Resolution was reduced to 800x600 (or less) the screen update was choppy. Figured out it would not go into fullscreen mode. So the first 3 hours were frustrating to say the least. From what I have seen of game play it looks ok. It is a shame that they released something that does not appear (from my perspective) to be quite ready. Expand
  2. Sep 19, 2013
    All I have to say about this game: This game is a mixed bag. A bag full of shame, microtransactions in a full priced game, vomit and diarrhea. I just can't imagine what relic was thinking when they said "Okay, these improvements are good (no they're not), make it a 50€ game, and add microtransactions". Thanks.

I checked on the game on release day, and after the atrocius beta version I
    admit I torrented it down. I knew this game WILL suck balls. Unbalanced, unoptimized and ugly like hell.

Maybe the worst-ever sequel, and worst-ever RTS game, but surely the worst RTS of the 2010s. Even Stalin vs The Martians is better than this.
  3. Jul 5, 2013
    Having played the game a while now I feel its nowhere near as good as the first one. I dont understand the decision to take out elements like building defenses ie tank traps bunkers dugouts etc, I loved that in the first game, but overall its not a bad game, just feels like there have been things taken out for the sake of making it different to COH 1

Still a few balancing issues to be
    sorted i think, and im sure we'll see countless patches like we did for the first one, its not grabbing me like the first one did

My opinion is if you've never played a COH game then get the first one with all the add on's and if youve bought the first one and are a fan of the game then this is just about worth a buy,.
  4. Jul 31, 2013
    Metacritic is BROKEN. I have just seen over 200 user reviews clearly written by the same person.
    I have no doubt that this is the case these hundreds of reviews. All taking about what a terrible war WWII was, how the writers family suffered etc. Many of them contain the exact same spelling mistake. All of them go on about "Russian suffereing" and hardly ever mention the game. Either one
    person using a bot to create accounts (very VERY simple) and post gazillions of reviews (very VERY simple using UBot 4.1 and some proxies). THis devalues Metacrtic and shows the arrogance of someone who thinks that their opinion in worth that of hundreds of other people and must be artificially aplified to ensure his will pervails. The sort of arrogance and method Stalin might have used if he were alive or Hitler! The game IS crap however. How on earth the magazones give it 8+ is beyond me. It's not a "0" though maybe a 3 but it is a very poor game. Terrible AI, poorly optimized, nerfed in terms of strategy from the original. Not very good at all. Just wish it could have earned this low score naturally rather then having someone so obviously force the issue with voting bots. Collapse
  5. Jun 25, 2013
    Very disapointing, uses the same graphics engine, the graphics look very similar but it brings my 3770K and 680GTX to a halt. IT has very few improvements over the first game. This just screams cash in to me, Stick with the oringal CoH its much superior
  6. Jul 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a good game but Need more map ,But can you doo bigger map !!!!Please !!!so little map Ai (cpu) ave 5 min to kick your ass ,,good graffic but lagging little Need too be optimise ,,!!!
    By the way i buy the DLC so pay 99$ too promote Relic ,,So doo map !!!

More map PLZ
  7. Jul 25, 2013
    Nazism. Fascism. Paul Joseph Goebbels. Hitler-Jugend. Propaganda. The Cold War. False. Deception. Manipulation of facts. Manipulation of citations. One-sided point of view. Russophobia. But this game the best strategy for the last 5 years.
  8. Jun 25, 2013
    To sum it all up, it's a great sequel. It amazed me how critical some of the reviews of this game were. Still, this is an honest 9 to honor a solid production.

Company of Heroes, the original, is still hailed as one of the best RTS's of all time. CoH 2 uses an enhanced version of it's engine, that adds some really nice gameplay features. At the same time, it maintains the original feel
    of that CoH 1 had. The grudging pushes to extend your frontline, the explosive sound, the chaotic dialogues, the tactical squad based combat... yep it's all still here.

I see a lot of players complaining about performance of this game, when compared to other shiny titles. Honestly, this is not your every day shiny title. The map is fully 3D and can be rotated to any angle. Almost all pixels, from the ones that make up dirt and pavement, to the ones that make up monstrous buildings, are dynamic, and can be destroyed or altered. The physics and combat feel realer than any strategy title before this. Even the original CoH took flak for being unable to run on high settings on most machines. Being a supercharged version of the same engine what did you expect?

The theatre of war is a great addition, and adds a nice way to take a break from competitive multiplayer. Small army perks can be gained through levels and combat, which adds incentive to play, while being small enough to not break the balance (which is well done now that the beta is over).

The new commander system is less taxing on your actions during gameplay. Fog of war, & vaulting are both improvements. The maps are beautiful and are incredibly interactive. Not to mention, campaign progress is stored on the cloud now!

I'm impressed. A job well done. Good rescue Sega.
  9. Feb 16, 2014
    I think Company of Heroes 2 is a great improvement over its first title. In all the time I spent playing (114h) I've never found even a single bug, crash, or any issues mentioned by other users, so I feel like this game is suffering a big boycott at this website from people who think they know very well what Stalin's policies were about during the 2nd World War. I think the game it's well developed historically speaking, taking into account that not only the Nazi faction committed atrocious crimes against humanity, and being clearly in favour of all the Russian soldiers who suffered the consequences of Stalin's war policies narrating them in the perspective of a soldier. While I don't think the storyline is anything great, it's definitely not biased.

The negative part of Company of Heroes 2 is that...: Would you like to have more commanders? Cash. Do you want more maps? Cash. Do you want more skins for your vehicles? Cash. Do you want anything we pretend to release since the first game's launch? Cash, cash, cash. I sincerely feel like I paid for the half part of a game which hasn't been finished and it's still under development.

In my opinion this is the best Real Time Strategy game at the moment. It's unique in its genre and it's clearly the one dominating in terms of quality. If you like fast paced real time strategy games, realism and the 2nd World War period, you should get it.
  10. Jan 3, 2014
    Okay, this game is fantastic and all the negative reviews on here are part of the protest by Russian gamers in response to the portrayal of the USSR in the course of World War 2 during the campaign. What else can I say? The story is great and honestly I didn't find the portrayal of soviets in a negative way at all. I found the regret of the higher command very honorable and for Isakovich to regret his use of his men after the war is to me very honorable.

11. Jul 31, 2013
    Can't even play the game. When I try to start it I get an error message saying "Company of heroes 2 has detected it is running in compatibility mode. This is unsupported and should be addressed before launching the game. Attempting to run in compatibility mode will cause the game to run improperly or likely crash. To solve this, ensure neither Company of Heroes 2 or Steam is running in compatibility mode."

There are some registry hacks out there to solve the problem, but it doesn't work for me.
  12. Jul 27, 2013
    This game is an insult of every Russian hero who died in war against fascism protecting people of his motherland from elimination. In almost any family in Russia now there are veterans or people lost in combat of WWII, and relic knowingly insulted them all. Lots of Russians soldiers lost their lives to prevent total defeat of France and divert attention of german “perfect race” which seek to eliminate or enslave lower races (all others). Russians soldiers as well paid with their lives for every day France and England delayed opening of second front. This error of a game deliberately replaces actual historical events with anti-Russian propaganda which can only be obtained from fascist, ignoramus, haters and complete idiots. And those are target group of this “game”.

Every year in 9 may we celebrate a day of victory where we can talk with the actual people who took part in combats of WWII and we know for a fact, that things presented in this game as historical events are outrageous, disgusting, stupid, illogical, senseless and shameful lies.

As an active buyer of licensed production, true gamer and patriot I want relic to know that from now on every time I see your production I will remember your attitude toward my country, my family and me as a part of it.
  13. Aug 14, 2013
    Amazing RTS as its finest.

Relic knows his way, they are the new 'Westwood' for me for a while since Blizzard started to stop innovating the genre after Warcraft III.

Rating it 9 because I was expecting a bit more more new stuff after vanilla CoH and CoH Online even though there is still some.
  14. Jul 25, 2013
    Great distortion of all historical reality. Anti historical and illogical and untrusted facts. Really Nazi propaganda game F-off authors of this merde.
  15. Jul 28, 2013
    Great game, but terrible story makes it unplayable. Sorry, but my family lost 7 souls in that war and only my grandmother reached Reichstag, so i just can not play this even if mechanics are good.
  16. Jul 29, 2013
    Russian army burning Russian villages with people inside? "Scorched earth" tactics? Relic, you're miserable fascist motherf*ckers. There are hundreds of villages Russia, as well as Ukraine and Belarus, burnt by nazis, some with 10 people, some with 1000. Russia is covered with memorial stones built on ashes. Search for "Operation Winterzauber", for example. COH2 is not just yet another cheesy anti-Russian crap, it's something way worse. What's next, COH3 showing Jews mass murdering innocent nazis in death camps? I'm sure developer's nazi granddads would love that. Expand
  17. Jul 24, 2013
    >Having all Relic WH40K games I expected better value for the price. Bad performance, crashes and silly plot. Portraying of Russians in a "historical" game was ridiculous. Orcs look like a charming persons compared with these "evil russkies".

Totally agreed. Sad but true.
  18. Jun 26, 2013
    Bad optimization ,poor campaign ,stupid AI, minor changes from first COH.
    Very high price for this game,useless dlc with collections edition.
    On my ssd is a first game with long loading time about 30-40 sec.
  19. Jul 26, 2013
    Stories are no heroes. Taken all dirty and disgusting of stories and put up in the form of truth. Where is the heroic feat of the soldier? Playing from the Nazis to the Nazis. Sorry for the English.
  20. Jul 24, 2013
    This game is a nazi propaganda. Joseph Goebbels applauds to the Relics studio.
    From now on, i will never buy Relic games. People who made that game should be sued as nazi criminals.
  21. Nov 18, 2013
    I had so much fun on this game.

One of the best RTS games available at the moment.

I have no idea whether the history is correct or not but to be honest, I really don't care.

It's just a game
  22. Aug 5, 2013
    Trash game. Paul Joseph Goebbels: Wir suchen nicht die Wahrheit, und die Wirkung. Wenn Sie eine Lüge groß genug und sprechen wird es wiederholen, werden die Leute schließlich glauben.
  23. Apr 13, 2014
    Please ignore the reviews below 7. This game has been attacked by Russians who can`t tell what is true about WWII in any case.

I just picked this game few days ago and man, it is so good! A wonderful RTS set in horrible days of World War II.

In singleplayer campaign that takes about 12 hours, you get to play the Soviets (Russians).Everything here is realistic. Very bad Red Army made
    of amateurs, not able to command anything, with inferior commanders, coward soldiers and poor machinery. They even shot a lot of their own people for no reason. This is all recreated in the game, the player depends mostly on Soviet cannonfodder in the first missions with it getting a little better with poor T34 tanks for example.

There are some problems with the game.
    1. In sp you can`t play as the Germans.
    2. It needs a very strong pc to run good (but when you do the graphics are very nice).
    3. AI can be very stupid at times.

Nonetheless this game provides very realistic battles in a realistic enough setting so it is very satisfying, even when you play as Stalin lover.

Wonderful, beautiful game 10/10.
  24. Sep 6, 2013
    Played this for around 8 days now and purchased it off Steam the other day so paid full price because I thought it would be worth it. I was extremely sad to realise the lack of effort and innovation they have put into this game. I thought after all this time they could have made it a lot better and all it is pretty much is COH 1 remastered with newer textures and graphics. Complete waste of money, absolute joke. Expand
  25. Aug 4, 2013
    I am not a citizen of Russia, but the story of CoH2 completely wrong. The answer of Relic on official forum "citizens of Russia see their story in good way only" incorrectly. Relic took wrong talking of history.
  26. Jun 25, 2013
    People are hypocrits. When DoW II came out people kicked and screamed that it was completely changed from the original. Now Relic takes a well working formula and makes it even better yet people complain. Funny how Blizzard has taken RTS gameplay from 1998, put a fresh coat of paint on it and people were all over it. But Relic takes a much deeper and demanding game but no, they're not allowed?
  27. Jul 24, 2013
    Probably one of the most stupid scenarios in RTS games.
    It was surprised that in Relic there are a lot of admirers of creativity of Goebbels. Well, I will never buy your games.
  28. Jun 25, 2013
    For the love of god DON'T BUY IT! This game is a failure on so many levels. Firstly as some of you could have guessed somebody was going to complain about, day one DLC, I don't care what anybody says content created pre-release should be in the game, especially when it is important content like commanders etc. Secondly the campaign is horribly done they have put almost no work into this campaign making it a chore to play through (besides that fact like some other users have pointed out I feel like the campaign is a slight bit racist towards Russians). Thirdly as you might also have guessed almost NOTHING HAS CHANGED seriously this is just ridiculous, basically what they have added is a semi-working version of true sight, weather (snow), Russians. As far as I can tell they haven't done a thing to improve the AI nor have they improved on any of the other hampering game mechanics. Really I don't see where all the work they claim has gone into this project is because as far as I can tell this is a DLC adding the Russians and little else. If your argument is if it works why change it then one they shouldn't make almost the exact same game and sell it as if it's a new release, second company of heroes has a lot of room for improvement so don't try to ruse people into believing the game was perfect. Expand
  29. Aug 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It seems that nobody either knows the history of WWII on the eastern front,or doesn't want to show it. Once again we are shown that apparently Russians are evil and are the bad guys here. How they all were just running at the machine gun fire and that the other half of the army was behind them ready to kill anyone who tries to run back. This racist, Anti-Russian storyline is rather becoming annoying. When Americans are liberating the France while getting killed, we hear of their honor, when we hear of Russians liberating THEIR OWN LAND, suddenly they are shown as merciless and coward like. I hope game companies will start writing truthful stories,because this is annoying and because of such story,nobody will buy this game in Russia obviously,which is a loss for Relic obviously. Expand
  30. Jun 26, 2013
    GOOD: The game is very fun, dynamic, and challenging. The single player missions are incredibly challenging and varied, while the multiplayer is just as chaotically fun as it was in Company of Heroes 2. The gameplay changes made, I feel, are also an improvement (cover is no longer invincibility and point capturing and defending are much easier. If find the weather very challenging and strategically stimulating) The maps available are very well-designed and fun to war around in.

BAD: The game lacks content badly, and the new commanders are fairly boring and homogeneous compared to the ones from Company of Heroes 1. Additionally, the use of the same old engine with slightly beefed up graphics has caused a performance dive.

Wait to buy it if you don't have a high-end PC. If you do have one and are hungry for a new RTS to play, it's worth the purchase.
  31. Jul 31, 2013