Company of Heroes 2 PC

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Jun 25, 2013
2.1

1. Jul 24, 2013
    Excellent multi-player game. Very long campaign and Theatre of war collection make the game valuable and worth the money. The weather and vision system are excellent additions to the game.
  2. Aug 28, 2015
    You know what? I take back everything I said about this game here. Better late than never. After looking at other user reviews bashing CoH2 on account of it allegedly being 'Russophobic', recoiling in disgust and looking into WWII history a little further, I'd like to point out the following. Again, I'm only talking about the single-player mode as I don't care for the multiplayer in mostYou know what? I take back everything I said about this game here. Better late than never. After looking at other user reviews bashing CoH2 on account of it allegedly being 'Russophobic', recoiling in disgust and looking into WWII history a little further, I'd like to point out the following. Again, I'm only talking about the single-player mode as I don't care for the multiplayer in most games.
    - The campaign does not insult the millions of Soviet soldiers who heroically fought in WWII and does not portray them as cowards. In fact, it does quite the opposite, which you would find out if you actually play it or at least watch a decent playthrough.
    - The way the NKVD is portrayed is well-deserved.
    - Yes, soldiers have to retreat sometimes, and no, they usually don't look forward to dying, especially if their deaths would be meaningless. Shocking, I know. Whether Order 227 was "harsh but necessary" or not is... debatable, to say the least.
    - In the mission 'Scorched Earth', setting your own people on fire is most likely a result of the player's actions, a glitch or just a freak accident. Civilians are told to evacuate in a cutscene, and nothing suggests that you should burn the buildings when the people are still inside.
    - The murder of Polish resistance fighters at the end of 'Behind Enemy Lines' is based on what actually happened to many of them in real life, if they weren't pro-Soviet.
    - 'General Winter' was one of the factors in the Soviet victory. Compared to the Soviets, the Nazis were ill-prepared for the harsh weather. Anyway, the game never said it was the only or the most important factor in the war.
    - Shortages of weapons were not unheard of.
    - By the time of its capture, the Reichstag had not been used for 12 years. Arguably not the best place for a photo op.
    I could go on, but spelling these things out feels increasingly silly.
    Obviously I can't speak on behalf of every Russian who played CoH2, but for what it's worth, I'd like to apologize to Relic (and anyone who read my original 'review') for my initial reaction and thank them for focusing this major installment of the franchise on the Eastern Front. Hopefully this won't be their last game about it, although after all the insults and threats they received I can't really blame them if they or any other developer choose to ignore the topic altogether.
    As for the score, I'm not saying the story is perfect, there has been valid criticism of it, but still, I'd like to do my part in balancing out the appalling number of unfair 0s.
  3. Aug 6, 2013
    One of the best RTS in the last few years. Good campaign, enjoyable gameplay and solid story, Relic did a great job. I didn't encounter any bugs so far.
  4. Jul 30, 2013
    Not a whole amount of substance added compared to CoH ToV. The sound is the best feature and includes a well done soundtrack and good voice acting for the units

+15mission campaign that plays like Enemy at the Gates movie meets Red Orchestra +Stellar soundtrack and voice acting +good maps design and water effects the bad -not a whole graphical/ unit improvement -balance a little

+Stellar soundtrack and voice acting
    +good maps design and water effects
    the bad
    -not a whole graphical/ unit improvement
    -balance a little out of whack
    -some people didnt like the anti USSR sentiment in the campaign
    All in all, good game, but maybe not worth $60
  5. Aug 1, 2013
    Personally, a multitude of player reviews are extremely biased towards the historical and "realistic" portrayal of the game. While I only half agree with them, it by no means mitigates the fun I've had playing this game.

While realism isn't the heaviest factor in CoH2, fun is. They've done a great deal to balance the game and add unique styles of play to the game. The environment finally working into battles is a great feature, albeit somewhat rushed in my opinion.

I'm a huge history fan, however I'm NOT the biggest fan of relic attempting to tell a story I'd rather if they just stuck to the facts.

The only thing that'd complete the game fully in my opinion is more free commanders and the ability to make your own commander/doctrine. With the ability to make your own commander/doctrine hopefully being released in a patch or future DLC.

My only solid complaints are the poor optimization, and the historical bias portrayed in the game.

It's a great game, and it's great fun if you're in to the RTS genre.
    I still do believe the first was better, however it's once more as I've stated a great game.
  6. Jul 24, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoy this game online. There may be a few balance issues... well rather some units being so good that other units become less relevant which causes some units to be overused by both factions while other units are neglected. But all in all the game is heading in a good direction since Relic said they'll take care of Strafe and OpelBlitz. Can't wait
  7. Jul 26, 2013
    Relic took the best RTS ever made (COH) and improved it to make the new best RTS ever made.

The game mechanics are unparalleled squad control and AI, enemy AI, map and strategic point structure, weather effects, line of sight, cover, and balance, to name a few. The graphics are amazing as well, and much more polished and fluid over COH 1. Almost every negative review here is

The graphics are amazing as well, and much more polished and fluid over COH 1.

Almost every negative review here is written by some commie who is butt hurt about how the russian army is depicted in the campaign.

If you love fun and RTS games, you won't be disappointed!
  8. Aug 9, 2013
    Aufgrund der Rezessionen war ich anfangs etwas skeptisch, ob es sich lohnt das Spiel zu kaufen und in der ersten Minuten beim Spielen wusste ich nicht ob es mir besser oder schlechter gefällt als Coh 1...Doch letztendlich muss ich sagen, dass das Spiel absolut Spaß macht und das einige Punkte der Kritik nicht zu treffen. Beispielsweise stimmt es nicht, dass das Spiel nicht ausgeglichenAufgrund der Rezessionen war ich anfangs etwas skeptisch, ob es sich lohnt das Spiel zu kaufen und in der ersten Minuten beim Spielen wusste ich nicht ob es mir besser oder schlechter gefällt als Coh 1...Doch letztendlich muss ich sagen, dass das Spiel absolut Spaß macht und das einige Punkte der Kritik nicht zu treffen. Beispielsweise stimmt es nicht, dass das Spiel nicht ausgeglichen wäre...man muss sich halt zunächst einmal zurecht finden und dann weiß man auch mit welchen Einheiten man kontern kann etc. Genauso hat das Spiel einige Punkte, die man als Verbesserungen ansehen kann. Z.B. muss man nicht mehr so ewig warten bis man ein Multiplayer Spiel anfangen kann, da man automatisch Gegnern zugewiesen wird. Das erspart einem das elende hin und her aus dem 1.Teil in dem es selten zu ausgeglichenen Teams kam. Also Leute... kauft das Spiel! Es lohnt sich! Expand
  9. Jul 3, 2013
    Company of Heroes2 is a worthy successor to the first game.

don't be foolled by the negative reviews (0/10) because "the Russians are evil" they are just not objective. if you are looking for intense multiplayer matches with destructible terrain, coversystem, flanking, true sight system, commander abilities and ways to customize your play style THIS is where its at. if you prefer to
    Company of Heroes2 is a worthy successor to the first game.

if you are looking for intense multiplayer matches with destructible terrain, coversystem, flanking, true sight system, commander abilities and ways to customize your play style THIS is where its at. if you prefer to decide the battles with few but good orders instead of "out-clicking" your opponent play company of heroes 2.

the only thing this game needs to get the (10/10) is a better singleplayer campaign, but since the "theater of war" mode is filling this gap over the next years, providing challenges and missions from german side this might very well happen over time.

coop missions and challenges exist, but only a few so far. (at release)

at the very least the singleplayer teaches you what you need to know to join the multiplayer fun.
    if you dont invest a little time to learn the basics about the countersystem prepare to lose a lot.
  10. Jun 25, 2013
    Company of heroes 2 has taken all of the good things that made CoH 1, refined them, and then added yet even more.

Whilst the campaign came across as a repetitive and numbing, this game truly shines in its "Theater of War" and Online skirmish modes. Battling it out with your friends in Online Skirmish has never felt more visceral and intense. Explosions shred the ground, as vehicles

Battling it out with your friends in Online Skirmish has never felt more visceral and intense. Explosions shred the ground, as vehicles collide with battlefield obstacles, sending broken props flying in all directions, whilst gunfire and mortar fire ring out from every direction. Overall, visuals and battlefield sound fidelity are superb, serving to draw you into the tense, ceaseless atmosphere throughout the course of the battle.

The theme of asymmetrical warfare that was evident in CoH 1 has made a triumphant return, allowing a whole host of fun abilities, commanders, and units to play around with in battles.

AI pathing and vehicle controls have been significantly refined since CoH 1, allowing faster response times and greater freedom of movement throughout the map. However there are still a few issues when controlling large groups of forces, as often times these blobs can bottleneck, causing a degree of frustration.

Theater of War allows the player to play solo, or cooperatively, along the course of World War 2 on the Eastern front, spanning from the initial invasion of the Soviet Union in 1941, to the fall of Berlin in 1945. This mode allows for an interesting historical look at the game, whilst meeting your demands for action, chaos and challenge!

Whilst there is a slightly steep learning curve for those new to RTS, and in particular CoH, I can guarantee that if you stick with it, you'll not only be able to stand a chance against some of the better players, but you'll also have hours upon hours of high destruction fun.

What more can you ask for?

11. Jul 26, 2013
    Beutiful graphics, great engine, wonderful gameplay, and the most important- excellent plot. Fiction is fiction, but THQ really showed how CCCP really played their game, including some truth to their storyline. 10/10 Enjoyed the game, and so I'm hoping for THQ to keep up their level!
  12. Aug 6, 2013
    So first I want to make this point about 3000 scores of this game are total The history is what it is there are no lies as far as I played. The game should be rated on how good it is. Not on graphics. Graphics don't make a game. Just because the game gets release day dlc doesn't make the game worse. Dlc is optional it should not in any way affect the score of the game. So the gameplay isSo first I want to make this point about 3000 scores of this game are total The history is what it is there are no lies as far as I played. The game should be rated on how good it is. Not on graphics. Graphics don't make a game. Just because the game gets release day dlc doesn't make the game worse. Dlc is optional it should not in any way affect the score of the game. So the gameplay is good it is not bad in any way. The story isn't the best but it is not super bad either. I don't see how you can rate a game like this 0. This game has a user score of 1.5 wtf is wrong with you people. Tell me how can this game be worse than big rigs over the road racing that game was literally unplayable. Expand
  13. Aug 9, 2013
    First and foremost, i don't agree with the current started by the russian community, that is completly lacking any constructive criticism about the game itself, only moaning about a storyline in the singleplayer part that is showing the american perspective of the russian war crimes.

While not all what is shown is a true fact, things like soldiers getting shot when they wanted to retreat, war crimes like the massacre at Katyn (google for it fellow russians) and Gulags are a historical fact that can't be denied!

The game itself rates as a solid 8 for me, the gameplay is almost the same as the previous installment, but lacking the content since it had no addons so far. The dynamic weather changes on snow maps add a lot of immersion to the gameplay since you need to constantly micromanage your troops or they will die in the harsh conditions of winter.

If you want a fresh CoH experience and you liked the previous games, this will be a game for you too then.
  14. Jul 25, 2013
    Fantastic competitive multiplayer. Single player storyline might not be everyone's cup of tea, but this should in no way be detrimental to the multiplayer. Competitive multiplayer is in my opinion the pinnacle of what makes the game so much fun and the focus point of the game. Relic are also doing a good job finding the perfect balance step by step.
  15. Aug 1, 2013
    If you read only one thing in this review, read this: The reviews on this page got bombed by eastern europeans that were upset at how the game portrayed characters on the soviet side.

That being said, the game is amazing. If you're a fan of COH1, you'll love COH2. Everything across the board has saw an improvement, and the balance is really the only thing patches are touching on now. As with any RTS, expect the balance changes to continue until COH3 comes out, but as it stands the current balance is incredibly well set up.
  16. Jul 25, 2013
    All the zero's the game received are probably from angry russians learning that stalin wasnt a good man. The game is very good and is getting patched for balance as coh1 was.
  17. Aug 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yes, try to invent on his true history, all over Europe only you still to believe it,
    we all know what that Krasnaja Armia, she ate soap, stealing clocks and did not know what this bike.
    by the way

you know who invented the bicycle?
    Russian

... in the attic of a German
  18. Aug 9, 2013
    An amazing RTS that manages to preserve the elements that made CoH 1 great, while also bringing entirely new gameplay elements and a refreshing new setting to the table. In addition, it has done a wonderful job of offending a group of disgusting little creatures that attack in swarms with defective mental facilities that are colloquially referred to as "Russians".
  19. Aug 3, 2013
    Great game got at least a great sequel. High level of performance in the promptness with new ideas and concepts of classical RTS make this game a truly fascinating and interesting. The plot is excellent, reflecting the harsh realities of war, ruthless, I really liked. I note that I am Russian and live in Russia, many Russian this game very satisfied, please do not judge all by squeakyGreat game got at least a great sequel. High level of performance in the promptness with new ideas and concepts of classical RTS make this game a truly fascinating and interesting. The plot is excellent, reflecting the harsh realities of war, ruthless, I really liked. I note that I am Russian and live in Russia, many Russian this game very satisfied, please do not judge all by squeaky Russian upstarts who write bad reviews on this game, we're not all like that. Thank you so much developers! Expand
  20. Aug 6, 2013
    Very good game, intresting history with real view, nice strategy.I'm not a big fan of stragies but enjoyed playing for few hours. Graphic looks good, weather conditions are a big plus.
  21. Aug 8, 2013
    Everything that doesn’t show Russians as ultimate heroes is offensive to them. No wonder anyway years of post-war communist propaganda twisted so many facts that even now we can’t know the whole spectrum of cruelty and atrocities done by the Red Army.

The reason for the overwhelmingly negative users score: A bunch of closeted Stalinists have rated the game poorly. Stalin was a monster. Apologists for his regime are betrayers to their countrymen and humanity.

This is not to say the game is without it's faults. Other users have pointed these out, extensively. But, seriously: 1.4? (The current average user score on metacritic.) No way. 8.0 (or higher, if the game is patched more)? Definitely.
  22. Aug 7, 2013
    If it wasn't for the shoddy campaign, I'd give this a 10. It's cliche, and rather corny with horribly led voiceovers. Other than that, this game is great. People like to say that this game is unbalanced, and that the German Reich just sits around and toys with the Russian defenders until they receive tanks, then it's game over. Let's think about this. The Germans WERE vastly superior inIf it wasn't for the shoddy campaign, I'd give this a 10. It's cliche, and rather corny with horribly led voiceovers. Other than that, this game is great. People like to say that this game is unbalanced, and that the German Reich just sits around and toys with the Russian defenders until they receive tanks, then it's game over. Let's think about this. The Germans WERE vastly superior in terms of firearms, artillery, and tank warfare. For the love of God, the Russians were still using a Maxim machine gun, just a variant of the Vickers (British) which was from WORLD WAR ONE. Not only was it heavier, slower, and less reliable, it needed water cooling and required more men to belt feed it. The MG42 was a vastly superior gun, and deserves it's place as "OP" as some people like to call it (Those people being on the wrong end of the barrel.) This game takes place in 1941. The Germans were swooping through Russia, miles a day because of how superior they were. The Russians just couldn't match to that. Everyone likes to complain about the issue of balance, and it's just not balanced like Starcraft II or other RTS games. There isn't a cookie cutter counter to every single unit out there. There's not always a solid answer. If you kids can't realize that, then don't play the game, it's clearly too difficult for you and you just can't handle it. Hell, I've seen a pair of T70's tackle a Panther, the most daunting task I've ever seen, and they succeeded simply because they kept trying. Just because you lose a group of units or you lose a tank doesn't mean you have the right to call this game unbalanced or horrible. I've been on the brink of losing and a rail cannon shot saved my butt, then I marched a line of slaughter straight to their base and won last second. Now let's move to the game compatability issues. I have two computers, an Alienware rig I custom built, and a crappy Dell Vostro. It runs on both, perfectly. I bought the game for $30 (roughly 22 Euros) on Ebay. Just search for a better price, it's bound to be out there. You don't HAVE to pay the full price. Just because it's not free or 5 bucks doesn't give you the right to call it expensive or overpriced. Let's move on to the Soviet commanders. They're not all beasts. They showed how many Lieutenants, and the one in the campaign storyline? So, you're saying those 3-4 men represent the largest country in Europe, and that they're all savage animals who shoot their on men? No. There's corruption in every land. It's not anti-soviet, it's not racist. YOU'RE just not thinking before you point your finger. Order 227 was a REAL order, and you didn't have a choice with conscription. You fought, or you died. That much is true. Just because you can't cope with the extreme culture of another country (that isn't even the USSR anymore and hasn't been for going on 15 years), doesn't mean you can say Relic is racist. The Russian winter is cold. It's REALLY cold. It can kill you. If you can get stuck out there, you're an idiot and you'll freeze to death. Ask Napoleon, he can vouch for it. Just because your men die in the cold, doesn't give you the right to call the weather "broken". Learn to play the game like I have, and you can see how great this game truly is. You kids give up so easily these days, and blame the system rather than realize you have problems yourself that you can't overcome. I'm done. -JP44 Expand
  23. Jul 24, 2013
    Orctownorc said it perfectly. And I qoute "To have half the army doctrines also removed as mini-DLCs is an example of the publisher engaging in the worst kind of nickel-and diming, as though this was a free-to play title."
    Sega bought this title when THQ went under and took all the doctrines out and made them DLC to squeeze every last penny out of this game. I paid FULL PRICE for this game and I don't expect to have to PAY TO BE COMPETITIVE in multiplayer with DLC. Sega, you are cheap-ass money-grubbing whores and don't deserve to continue being in business.
  24. Jul 23, 2013
    Writer of Relic, sama real Nazi. The plot of the game a complete lie, nonsense, prana. The story not really a lie. It is better to do these on your Warhammer.
  25. Jul 24, 2013
    The story is not true and is a complete falsification of the history of Russia and its methods of warfare. The Soviet soldiers did not burn the civilian population of the Russia. Detachments did not shoot the retreating soldiers, and were engaged in catching deserters. Russia won the war and not the detachments of the NKVD, and solidarity and heroism of the population.The people who wroteThe story is not true and is a complete falsification of the history of Russia and its methods of warfare. The Soviet soldiers did not burn the civilian population of the Russia. Detachments did not shoot the retreating soldiers, and were engaged in catching deserters. Russia won the war and not the detachments of the NKVD, and solidarity and heroism of the population.The people who wrote the story, totally unaware of the history of the country, about which they were writing this story. Expand
  26. Jul 24, 2013
    "Campaign scenario is written by Joseph Goebbels fans." absolutly!
    "Russians eating russians, great story, no history at all. Hello, we were people, not orcs! Bugs, frezes, too overpriced. This should be presented, but I have no idea to who."
  27. Jul 24, 2013
    Campaign scenario is written by Joseph Goebbels fans.
    It's shame. Cold War is over there is no reason to picture USSR as Mordor.
    But why to bother and read real history books? Let's just make another game about this terrible unhuman russians.
  28. Jul 24, 2013
    Relic you are a company of nazi. But for the next game i have some ideas for you:
    1) Show how Stalin eats german children.
    2) Hitler with gebbels free a prisoners of Dahau from Soviet Union killers.
    3) Mission with Soviet Soldiers rape german woman.
    4) Soviet soldiers immune to cold wheather
    5) Killing own soldiers gives +100 to damage for nearby units.
    6) Where is Vodka and russian bears?
  29. Jul 25, 2013
    The most bad game of the year! !Russians eating russians you crazy, it's awesome!!!!!
    For people don't buy this save money!!!!!!!!
    Who read really history and books?????
  30. Jul 25, 2013
    I'm sure, Joseph Goebbels would approve this game. Single campaign is impudent and unashamed lie, which give out for the truth.
    I do not understand why you did it, Relic? The Cold War is long over. You had to reflect the real crimes during World War II, not invented.
  31. Jun 25, 2013
    If you were a player like me that enjoyed fighting the computer more then humans, enjoyed base building, and enjoyed capturing all the points before going for the kill, this is not the game for you....The graphics are not an improvement over the old CoH. I honestly thought that maybe all that playing on CoH online might have meant that the producers of this game would have picked some ofIf you were a player like me that enjoyed fighting the computer more then humans, enjoyed base building, and enjoyed capturing all the points before going for the kill, this is not the game for you....The graphics are not an improvement over the old CoH. I honestly thought that maybe all that playing on CoH online might have meant that the producers of this game would have picked some of the greatness and put it into this game. Unfortunately they failed. they changed the whole design of having to pick your advances within your tech tree during the game. the camera doesn't seem to go out far enough to give you a half decent view. while ive only played as germans it seems the soviet stuff kills me faster then I can kill them. The AI sucks. I was really hoping my guys would have the common sense to take cover... I feel this game was tailored to the multi-player crowd. While that can be fun at times, sometimes you just want to play the AI. the days of building a strong defensive line are over. resources build slowly and while its a nice idea that you can choose what type of supply point you want to make, the cost, speed of construction, and toughness make them less then worthwhile. I don't feel the cost of units on the German side is equal to their effectiveness. overall, ive been looking forward to this game for a few years now. Im sad to say Ill probably keep playing CoH since this game fails to feel the same. maybe if they would have kept the interface the same (or at least similar) I could trick myself into liking this game, but they didn't do that....

I want company of hero's online back... id even pay good money to play that game....

1. Pelit (Finland)