• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Jun 25, 2013
2.0

1. Dec 12, 2014
    A very good game, brought down by overpriced DLC fest. It looks very nice, it's cinematic, it's sound assets are very high quality, overall, when compared to vanilla CoH it's better. However, it pales in comparison to modded first game, mods like Blitzkrieg or Europe at War absolutely obliterate it.

Regardless, it is fun to play and if it would've taken the route of first CoH, that is one serious expansion pack, it would've been much better value.
  2. Dec 10, 2014
    I wanted to wait at least until I had finished the campaign to do this review because I had only played the multiplayer. I will not spoil anything about the story itself, but will go into some of the historical portrayals in this game.
    To be honest, I did not like the campaign itself. I actually have to somewhat agree with BadComedian and say that this game was far too negative of the Soviet Red Army. There were many moments where I said to myself "that never happened". I have studied WWII immensely and have spent years reading about it. Order 227 shows up through most of the campaign despite the fact that Order 227 was repealed several months into the Battle of Stalingrad. The Soviets never set fire to their own houses with civilians still inside. And some of the bloodthirsty dialogue for the Soviet laughter was just laughable because the Soviets were never that cheap with their soldiers and equipment. Their needles bloodthirsty portrayal of the Soviets was just plain ridiculous and laughable at times. The game barely mentions any of the numerous German war crimes in this game. They did a great disservice to those who were murdered and raped by the invading German army by constantly showing the Soviets as those who constantly wasted the lives of their own people which simply was not true. The Soviets did commit a lot of war crimes themselves especially when they invaded Germany, but to be portrayed as cheap egotistical tyrants is extremely unfair as many generals and officers treated their men with dignity and tried to save as many of them as possible.
    Also, I had gripes about not being able to fight in the Battle of the Kursk which was the largest tank battle in history. You got to fight somewhat in Leningrad, in Stalingrad, and Berlin but you never get to fight at Kursk which bummed me out. Also the level designs just felt all the same to me.
    I loved the first Company of Heroes and the gameplay that was passed on to this game was the only reason this game was enjoyable. The sniper is no longer a ridiculously overpowered unit, but they gave that role to flamethrower units especially the German halftrack that can literally annihilate infantry units in a few seconds. Soviet infantry units are extremely weak, but their advanced vehicle units make up for that.
    The sound editing and music were astounding though as they gave you the feeling of being on the actual battlefield while adding epicness to it.
    Despite this game's flaws it is a good entry to Company of Heroes, but Relic needs to stop trying to be controversial and actually make a game that displays the soldiers they are portraying as heroes or do not make the game. It is Company of Heroes for a reason. There were times during the first game where I also noticed some demonizing of Allied troops while adding sympathy to the Germans. I am not saying stuff like this didn't occur, but you are trying to show heroes here not war criminals.
  3. Dec 10, 2014
    Not as good as the first CoH, but it is still a really fun and great game. Do not listen to the bad reviewers. They're 100% wrong about it painting the Nazis in a good light. The thing it does do is shows the evil committed by the Soviet Union in World War 2. Who cares if they were our allies? Just because we're the U.S. doesn't mean we don't ally with evil people. Look at the Cold War.Not as good as the first CoH, but it is still a really fun and great game. Do not listen to the bad reviewers. They're 100% wrong about it painting the Nazis in a good light. The thing it does do is shows the evil committed by the Soviet Union in World War 2. Who cares if they were our allies? Just because we're the U.S. doesn't mean we don't ally with evil people. Look at the Cold War. Get an education guys, and give this game a chance. Expand
  4. Dec 7, 2014
    Company of Heroes Online was great, selecting a commander and unlocking special abilities to help in taking on other players made that game great. Earning enhanced abilities such as a 5% increase in a snipers range for once match made it interesting as well. Players had some sense they were earning and accomplishing something.

Company of Heroes 2 looks good but I lost my desire to play

Company of Heroes 2 looks good but I lost my desire to play it almost immediately. Playing the game seems to unlock little to nothing. The story mode really is not that interesting to keep me excited to play the next chapter.

I do not understand how obvious the disappointment is and yet the critics love this game, they either did not play the online version or they played one chapter within the new game and wrote a review based on it.

Company of Heroes Online was the best game I played from this series and it is a shame that it will never come back in the same format. We may see the online version again but it will likely not contain the same format. Company of Heroes 2 - Ardennes Assault looks to have some features of the online game but I will not spend any money to find out after shelling out so much for CoH2.
  5. Dec 4, 2014
    Multiplayer PVP Review

-Still not well balance. Many issues with both factions, however seem more towards Allies. E.g. Recrew exploit of tanks for US? -Stupid ranking system that fails to provide any real satisfaction to progression. -Terrible reward system (Supply Drop) that again fails to provide any sense of progression and keeps giving multiple duplicates of the same item.
    Multiplayer PVP Review

-Questionable updates such as random locations which really limit faction A or B depending on starting location as most maps bias one or the other. An example would be Faceoff at Rostov; Allies could get more boots on the ground and get off the small peice of land onto the large, where as Axis can't and will often end up stuck at the start location with not even a single chance to offer resistance.
    -Some maps seem to heavily biased towards Allies, even more so with the aforementioned update.
    -Horrible matchmaking system that assumes if you're in a party with some friends that you must immediately be pros and pairs you against such (well, it seems that way). Matchmaking definitely needs work. Often get paired with people way outside my skill level.
    -Game still crashes once in a while or desync errors.

Probably many more issues and annoyance I could list, but you get the picture. Whilst I have given the multiplayer a fair go, I do not see any sign of it improving. It seems that Relic is more fixated on milking DLC sales than anything else (this can be seen with the Ardennes DLC giving certain Supply Drops advantages to people who have bought it. I.e Rifleman and Rear Echelon train and replenish 10% faster - this gives already quick US even more of an advantage). With no true progression sytem, dodgy reward system, unfair matchmaking and just other general frustrations, I find it harder and harder to come back to this game. It's a shame really, as I have had some very fierce and close matches that get the adrenaline pumping and I really thoroughly enjoyed the first Company of Heroes, but this game lacks direction and seems a bit of a mess. If you're thinking of biting the bullet and purchasing this game, wait another year or so and pick it up cheap on sale. At least if it isn't twice the game as it is now, you won't feel as robbed.
  6. Dec 3, 2014
    I don't know why people gave this game such a bad review. I almost didn't buy the game because of the low scores but now that I've got it and played for hours on end non stop, I'm not gonna listen to user complaining anymore. I think I'm gonna go for the expansions now as well.
    I gave this game a 9 because the cut scenes are a tad cheezy. Game play however is engrossing and addictive. Love the sound effects and graphics are not bad. I think I got my moneys worth for the hours of future game play.
    As far as history is concerned? Yes the Soviet Red Army was strict and disciplined. Over 1000 have been shot for being cowards. Even the British court martial ed and executed deserters so people need to brush up on their history.
    I just had to create a Metacritic account just to give this game some props .
  7. Nov 29, 2014
    Excellent game for Adolf Hitler. Especially for you we have gathered the worst stereotypes about Russia. Balalaika vodka cruelty blood winter. Glory, honor, brave men, well-planed attacks didnt give the win, but "best" stereotypes about stupidity did it, My Fuhrer!
  8. Nov 21, 2014
    I signed up just so I could leave my comment.

Buyer beware. This game is severely not worth the purchase. After some 200 hours of gameplay, here are my thoughts about the inescapable letdowns: 1. Ludicrously imbalanced multiplayer. The lobby is a ghost town, consisting of the same 'pro'-level players who decimate newbie and mid-level players by team-stacking against them, using
    I signed up just so I could leave my comment.

Buyer beware. This game is severely not worth the purchase.

1. Ludicrously imbalanced multiplayer. The lobby is a ghost town, consisting of the same 'pro'-level players who decimate newbie and mid-level players by team-stacking against them, using the game's exploits to their advantage and having the benefit of playing the same maps with each other. In short, unfair matches due to lack of varied player pool.

2. Ugly-looking UI. It lags, has ambiguous tooltips, it's unpleasant to look at, it has typos. They can't even keep the font and punctuation consistent.

3. Pay-to-play nickel grabbing. You want to stand a chance to be on a level playing field in PvP straight up? That'll be another ~$50 on top of your game purchase, please. Core game content has been stripped and replaced with DLC, stuff that should have already been there, like a wide choice of commanders to choose from.

4. Overpowered Allies infantry vs. Axis infantry. They'll get halftracks, riflemen, conscripts, AT guns, flamethrowers and numerous mortar and HMG crews out before you can say "Kampgrupper Lehr".

5. Single player campaign that (*gasp*) makes you pay to play more.

Company of Heroes 2 is the reason why RTS died.
  9. Nov 16, 2014
    after i have played COH and its expansions for 5 years, i expected better game than this
    everything is too samey and actually the game is worse than COH becuz its high spec requirement and dipping fps. the graphic is not great even though it used all resources on my gaming laptop
    dev took vacation for 5 years and suddenly run short of cash so they decided to make sequel with a little improved graphics? i think this should stop from gaming industry. dev loses passion, they take long break from beloved franchise then they got back into developing new games with little idea and ambition
    the result of it has clearly shown in this game and total war rome2 (another disappointed title in this year)
    like hard shelled breads in cabinet for 2 years, this game feels like stale stuff and nuisance to get rid of quickly
  10. Oct 31, 2014
    This game is not an enjoyable experience. I am not a PvP player because of the CoH geeks that do nothing but learn the exploits to win. That's beside the point, so I play against the AI.

There are problems, the main one is the AI cheats in showing up with veteran units, immediately running away when a unit throws a grenade, AI units are very difficult to eliminate, AI is all over the map and no way to defend most captured points, if given any amount of time the AI totally overwhelms the player and AI has no fog of war, to name a few.

I'll tell you one thing, devs of CoH 2, you win the game. You won't get anymore of my support in terms of buying more crap from this company.
  11. Oct 27, 2014
    I have no experience with the single player campaign, so I'll just review the multiplayer part. Unfortunately, the game has gotten some kind of weird multiple personality disorder; it's trying to be harsh and brutal with gritty b/w imagery, harsh cold and so on, but at the same time it's animated like it's a cartoon. Tanks jump half a meter straight up in the air when they die, and haveI have no experience with the single player campaign, so I'll just review the multiplayer part. Unfortunately, the game has gotten some kind of weird multiple personality disorder; it's trying to be harsh and brutal with gritty b/w imagery, harsh cold and so on, but at the same time it's animated like it's a cartoon. Tanks jump half a meter straight up in the air when they die, and have big flat areas of comic book-like texture. The resource system and basic ideas from the original game are identical.

The voice-acting in Company of Heroes 1, Dawn of War 1 and 2 is SPLENDID. In this game, it's dull and uninspired. I can't get drawn in into the game; it's like a confused comic book version of WWII without anything funny to go with it. Unfortunately.
  12. Oct 27, 2014
    Absolutely weak! Destructoid should never ever be allowed to rate games. The think this was a 100 means there is no room for ever improving. I wonder how much they were paid?
    I have a free copy for anyone who wants it.
  13. Oct 21, 2014
    After downloading 22h of update through small connection I finaly started to play.
    I put graphics to the max as my card support it.
    It looks like graphics quality is very average even at Very high quality. Menu is overcrowded and confusing
    Mission are not exciting. i am very dissapointed for a $60 game. thumb down. DONT BUY

i download COH1 again .
  14. Oct 17, 2014
    This game I thought it would be cool and promising was in fact just that. Tries to be cool and is full of promises, promises not fulfilled. I would have expected a lot more from the widely acclaimed Relic developers after their brilliant Homeworld series but this series was a flop. If you were expecting some big glorious Eastern Front portrayal which was a serious and vital part of WW2This game I thought it would be cool and promising was in fact just that. Tries to be cool and is full of promises, promises not fulfilled. I would have expected a lot more from the widely acclaimed Relic developers after their brilliant Homeworld series but this series was a flop. If you were expecting some big glorious Eastern Front portrayal which was a serious and vital part of WW2 then you will be disappointed. It does show the chaos and destruction in the Eastern Front in Ukraine and Russia but by the wrong side. It gives neither side a fair portrayal or point of view, never justifying their actions.

Russia is made to be some kinda stupid place, corrupt and as evil as their adversary, brutally killing their own like cannon fodder. You never really relate to anyone nor feel any connection or empathy as they die in their droves like stupid ants. This is not the Relic you knew of old, the veterans have left the studio to a bunch of racist, fascist illiterate historical failures as they failed to include the necessary facts to back up their excuse to throw in something 'edgy' so the game feels more 'deep' or 'emotional' but it ends up like a typical Hollywood movie a big over budget Michael Bay throw in as much Russian Soviet Stereotype in as possible and becomes some kind of sick dark comedy and loses all seriousness and credibility it tried to add.

The German side too is made to seem like mindless zombie brutes and pure evil laying waste to cities and people for no reason or none really mentioned or explored by these so called 'Historians'

This game feels like its made for Patriots and I mean American Patriots who actually believe in these Soviet stereotypes and want an action packed over dramatic soap opera epic action game. They added not 1 nor 2 but 3 DLC add-on packs not focused on the Eastern Front anymore, heck its not even about the USSR or Russia but 3 American Faction packs. Essentially rehashing the old CoH, it makes it like the Eastern Front portion never had existed. They want to milk your every dollar, Vehicle Skins = DLC
    Commanders = DLC
    No Mods, only Map tools because they want to sell you the mods in the form of DLC.
    no proper LAN or offline mode, no proper AI Multiplayer Bots to practice on. You need Online to enjoy the game and to play 80% of the game. DRM is a pain.
    Units are still imbalanced, lack of unit variety, weapon variety and functions. It feels too 'dumbed' down and streamlined but making up with 'graphics' which are average at best.

Campaign is boring, Skirmishes are boring, too short and small scale, its more like a 3D person top down shooter than anything as it focuses too much on squads and individual infantry than the wider greater scale of a battle or war. Its more of a RTT than an RTS with simplistic resourcing, capturing points etc and simplistic economy system doesn't need a genius to play and thus leaves no room for skilled players or hardcore veterans or gamers. Its made to be a casual strategy game, fast paced like CoD or WoT rather than a test of skill or knowledge. This leaves the Multiplayer filled with idiots, kids and other 'Historians' who troll you with random hordes of units and stupid tactics. There is not much of a challenge online and not balanced enough to become a Tournament game or an e-sport.

Honestly this is a let-down of a WW2 game. There are many better ones with a more accurate portrayal with real life events, evidence and emotional connection. Not really worth it, Not really worth a AAA title and is worse than many cheaper Indie games.
  15. Oct 17, 2014
    bellissimo gioco
    l'unica cosa che non mi piace è il fatto dsi dover comprare comandanti (a costi altini) per poter avere dei vbantaggi consistenti sugli avversari. per il resto è veramente spettacolare
  16. Oct 9, 2014
    The game is very good, including the story. The problem is that the story of the game does not match the stories of the Soviet propaganda films about the war. Russian media called spoil rated this game on this site. Unfortunately, we remain the specter of communism to this day.

P.S. I apologize for my English!
  17. Oct 8, 2014
    Although i never played the original and have only recently started coming back to RTS games I felt this game offered a refreshing change to the usual RTS style yet I feel it could have a better overall base building style. I think the combat although it has the ability to pull me in when things get hectic. I get really annoyed when I sit there thinking how can you not hit him he is rightAlthough i never played the original and have only recently started coming back to RTS games I felt this game offered a refreshing change to the usual RTS style yet I feel it could have a better overall base building style. I think the combat although it has the ability to pull me in when things get hectic. I get really annoyed when I sit there thinking how can you not hit him he is right in front of you kill him!

Overall however I really like this game but feel it has a lot of its own faults too. Great graphics, interesting game play. I would recommend to all if on a sale but would not and did not pay £29.99 for it.
  18. Oct 3, 2014
    It seems all the negative reviews are personal opinions and other thoughts still a epic game.

Company of Heroes 2 is a incredible addition and better than its predecessor. Tho i wish they had the america's and brits added into the game they don't, it feels like a step back for me. They must learned a lot from the first game and its expansion because every time they put out a new game

They must learned a lot from the first game and its expansion because every time they put out a new game it adds more depth and better gameplay and it shows. CH2 has a good story better graphics and much better campaign the game feels great with new system's and gameplay i cant wait to play the expansions.

Worth $60
  19. Sep 30, 2014
    Wow! The cold war is far from over I see. The cardinal sins here re the terrible story that might only satisfy the brain dead who readily subscribe to propaganda and the lack of optimisation causing the game to stutter, besides it being more of the same old same old. There used to be a game "Soldiers" back in the day... used to be pretty decent, then they released "Soldiers 2" which wasWow! The cold war is far from over I see. The cardinal sins here re the terrible story that might only satisfy the brain dead who readily subscribe to propaganda and the lack of optimisation causing the game to stutter, besides it being more of the same old same old. There used to be a game "Soldiers" back in the day... used to be pretty decent, then they released "Soldiers 2" which was pure terrible wrapped in crap, at the same time the first COH appeared, which was in the same WWII niche doing everything better than "Soldiers 2", actually looking a lot better and running on any PC configuration I had flawlessly as opposed to the aforementioned. COH 2 is lucky there's no other company delivering a similar product. Expand
  20. Sep 21, 2014
    This game has been flooded (not without reason) with I think a disproportionate amount of negative reviews. While the campaign's plot is extremely...questionable at best, if you can look past the "Enemy at the Gates" or Hollywood "The Soviets are monsters" portrayal of the Soviets you'll find a game that mirrors many of the attributes that CoH fans came to love from the original game,This game has been flooded (not without reason) with I think a disproportionate amount of negative reviews. While the campaign's plot is extremely...questionable at best, if you can look past the "Enemy at the Gates" or Hollywood "The Soviets are monsters" portrayal of the Soviets you'll find a game that mirrors many of the attributes that CoH fans came to love from the original game, while branching out to try and add new elements to the game to keep it interesting.

Graphically the game is impressive, and the sound effects are excellent just as they were back in CoH I, from the snow effects to watching/hearing a T34 or Panther brew up in a fiery explosion CoH II's graphics and soundtrack captures the tiny details that fans learned to marvel at in the original title.

Gameplay: A lot has changed since CoH I, but at its core, CoH II is still very much like its older brother. The elephant in the room regarding this particular game is the single player portion. Unfortunately, the protrayal of the Soviet Union is one that appears to be ripped right out of a Hollywood script, where the Soviets officer corps is portrayed as unfeeling monsters, willing to send hundreds of thousands to their deaths, mercilessly cutting down waves of retreating conscripts. While this has been said to have happened during the way, it appears to have been overplayed and over focused within the campaign. This of course drew the ire of many. Buyers be warned, if you are looking for a compelling single player experience, you sadly will not really find it here.

However, where CoH I really shined its brightest (IMHO) was in its multi-player, this is where CoH II draws its strength from and is what you'll likely want to buy the game for. Initial balance issues aside, games can be fast paced and frantic. The recent introduction of the American faction as well as OberKommando's really helps to add some flavor to the multiplayer game play.

While CoH II has its issues, to include (at first) a clunky interface, it is still a great game (Questionable/forgettable Campaign scripting aside)

Buy the game if you are a fan of the first, buy it if you want to have one of the best WWII RTS gaming experiences out there on the market, buy it if you want a fast paced, action packed, strategic demanding multiplayer experience.

Does the game deserve 4.6k+ negative reviews? Likely not. Is it understandable why people were upset? Absolutely, but do not be fooled by the 1.9 Metacritic score. Try it for yourself, and if you can remain open minded about the SP, you'll certainly find a diamond in the rough with CoH II IMHO.
  21. Sep 20, 2014
    Anti Soviet Propaganda!! While it's predecessors showed the heroism of the allied soldiers the only thing they are showing here is the **** soldiers of the red army and horrible events which never happend!
  22. Sep 12, 2014
    -FACTS:
    Company Of Heroes is also really moddable. units can be added ( animating too), and there are many succesfull modifications and bonus single player Campaign Generator multiplayer mods .
    - HOW I FEEL : Wow! i likE the gameplay , whatever 1000 russian provocators cry about stOry, -skip the story - the GAMEPLAY is NICE ! strong Emotion can be sensed from situataions, and i get
    -FACTS:
    - HOW I FEEL :
    the GAMEPLAY is NICE ! strong Emotion can be sensed from situataions, and i get excited from what cool things i see as i move to next area in game. Production quality shows, im happy this game was made!
    ___ ( bytheway:
    (sad that also Metacritic CoH2 page has been targeted by russian Bureau of Propaganda :(
  23. Sep 7, 2014
    [RUS] Эта игра х*йня. И вы спросите , а чем тебе не понравилось а? А то ,что SEGA Историю России за 9 класс точно не учила. Там нет ничего связанного с годам Великой Отечественной войны. Прежде чем делать историческую игру , хоть выучите историю. В Call of Duty 1 и 2 частях , пересказывались события Великой Отечественной войны, но они хоть немного постарались. А вы чего сделали, мусор[RUS] Эта игра х*йня. И вы спросите , а чем тебе не понравилось а? А то ,что SEGA Историю России за 9 класс точно не учила. Там нет ничего связанного с годам Великой Отечественной войны. Прежде чем делать историческую игру , хоть выучите историю. В Call of Duty 1 и 2 частях , пересказывались события Великой Отечественной войны, но они хоть немного постарались. А вы чего сделали, мусор какой то.
    [ENG]This game is f*ck. And you ask , what didn't you like? And the fact that SEGA the History of Russia for the 9th grade just not taught. There's nothing related to the great Patriotic war. Before doing historical game , at least learn the history. Call of Duty 1 and 2 parts , retold the events of the great Patriotic war, but they tried. And what you did waste some
  24. Aug 29, 2014
    The game is definitely improving from the very poor launch. New multiplayer lobbies with annihilate is the most welcome addition. The in-game feedback popups also show that devs are trying to make the game better. There's still imbalance, most notably with the OKW from the new expansion, but the game is much better than it used to be
  25. Aug 21, 2014
    This game is very good its campaign is not as good as coh 1 but its still good and multiplayer is fantastic,it involves many stratagy and tactics into the game,you need to think about your every move to win against another player.AI isnt great but its much batter then it was in coh 1 and if you set AI on very hight difficulty it would be a challenge to win,but its biggest problem to me isThis game is very good its campaign is not as good as coh 1 but its still good and multiplayer is fantastic,it involves many stratagy and tactics into the game,you need to think about your every move to win against another player.AI isnt great but its much batter then it was in coh 1 and if you set AI on very hight difficulty it would be a challenge to win,but its biggest problem to me is fps,because you need a good computer to run it,but with low graphics you can play it without any lag,I think everyone who is coh 1 fan should buy this even on full price because it gives you many,many hours of fun!!! Expand
  26. Aug 8, 2014
    company of heroes 2 is worse than company of heroes 1, but i think the game is not very bad. I give nine score cz many user give 0, the game should not have so many 0.
  27. Jul 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Expand
  28. Jul 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I never write reviews, but this game is a major downgrade from the original. All the games I've played are the same. Mortar galore! I understand that you are trying to make it realistic, but this is a video game. No fun at all. Just build mortars, artillery, and role in the tanks at the end. Same slow, boring game.

The original was much better. Very disappointed. Free games are better.
  29. Jul 12, 2014
    This game is a DO NOT BUY. Shallow content. CoH1 was far superior. Few maps, few units. Its as if they took our beloved original and consolized it. Performs poorly, maps are very uninspired and boring. Like city maps, sorry. This is a cash grab game and people that really know the first one will be sickened by this attempt.

I knew it was beyond suspect playing through the beta and not

I knew it was beyond suspect playing through the beta and not enjoying it. They simply took the old game and swiss cheesed it, removed sweet features and content. The only positive thing I can mention is the variable weather but even that leaves a bit to be desired. Its more like snow blizzards that come in cycles.

Beware of fake reviews. After reading most of the reviews, most of the highly rated ones are blatantly bogus.
  30. Jul 11, 2014
    U bidla iz rashki goryat pukani pri vide vsego der'ma, kotorim polnitsya ih ebannaya strana eshe so stalinskih vremyon, No huli bagetit esli vi bidlo i sego ne zamechaete? Igra ge pizdata.
  31. Jul 11, 2014
    The first "Company of Heroes" was a rare milestone in RTS games. Not only did it master the art of telling a good story, it also added realistic, fun game play features, especially when it came to facing of units. It was smooth, balanced, well crafted, innovative, addictive and downright amazing.

For CoH2, I expected more of the same. Before I played it, I honestly thought Russians were just getting all patriotic and whiny about the plot. After playing most of the campaign, I gotta admit the criticism is well founded. Russians are stereotypical EVIL in this game. It's like a cold war spy movie. The Russian officers gladly kill every surviving solider after a heroic defensive battle, JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT.

Nazis in CoH2 however seem to be good, upstanding citizens - I have yet to see a single nazi war crime in the game. While playing one can only conclude that your guys are fighting for the wrong side. Anyway, story sucks and is written by someone who has no idea what Russia in WWII was all about. Enough about it.

Graphics are pretty, squads work well, campaign maps are well-made. The same features that make CoH special are still there, but newly added features are rather uninteresting. The Russian winter is represented by jumps from bonfire to bonfire. Neither very interesting in terms of game play, nor historically correct: Standing right next to a huge bonfire on the front line of a war where the enemy has artillery and snipers doesn't seem like the best idea to me.

The game is not a bad game - it's relatively fun to play, looks good and never crashed for me. However it fails to add anything, and the story is downright idiotic. More missions have been published as DLC, but I can't say I'm hankering for more of CoH2.
  32. Jul 7, 2014
    This game has a good gameplay, but a plot is awful. It's filled mostly with hate to Soviet soldiers and their feats. I think that this fact describes developers as the haters of Russian history. Shame on you, developers. I won't buy your games in the future.
  33. Jul 6, 2014
    Face the true. You say that only Hitler could do such things. The fact is Stalin could do them as wel. I know its painful watching how it really was. I think You Russians prefer to watch Your comrades as angels from heaven bringing freedom and peace to Europe. In fact Stalin wanted to conquer Europe with his Communists and of course beat Hitler but it was less important. I must admit thatFace the true. You say that only Hitler could do such things. The fact is Stalin could do them as wel. I know its painful watching how it really was. I think You Russians prefer to watch Your comrades as angels from heaven bringing freedom and peace to Europe. In fact Stalin wanted to conquer Europe with his Communists and of course beat Hitler but it was less important. I must admit that many brave peoples devoted their lives to beat the enemy and free their mother Russia but You have to see all the facts Expand
  34. Jul 5, 2014
    9 for multi-player. 5 for single-player campaign. Less cut-scene and special script than COH1, I think developer have turn their focus to multi-player, just like what BF have did.
  35. Jul 2, 2014
    Russophobia in all its glory. Of total distortion of historical facts, it feels like a very long time developers beaten on the head, and then given to read Goebbels's propaganda.
  36. Jul 1, 2014
    They patched it and brought it up to the quality of COH1. 8/10. The new expansion is the true successor to CoH1. Buy the Western Armies expansion and skip CoH2 if you have to.
  37. Jun 28, 2014
    So much idiot russian complaining about this game beeing nazi. This game isn't nazi for **** sake. Soviets were the worst people at the time. Even nazi's were better than them. Now please, shut up and let us play the bloody game!!! Back to the game, this game is very good. They managed to fix **** of bugs, glitches and balance issues. The only thing I don't like, is the lack of germanSo much idiot russian complaining about this game beeing nazi. This game isn't nazi for **** sake. Soviets were the worst people at the time. Even nazi's were better than them. Now please, shut up and let us play the bloody game!!! Back to the game, this game is very good. They managed to fix **** of bugs, glitches and balance issues. The only thing I don't like, is the lack of german light and medium tanks such as Pz I, Pz II, Pz III and the tank destroyers such as Jagdpanzer 38t and Marder 2. Also, soviets need SU-100, T-26 instead of T-70. And maybe even the T-35! Expand
  38. Jun 25, 2014
    Ok first I'll start by saying this game had a rough start, but just in the last 3-4 months is has become a lot better, they have actual servers for the automatch so no longer do you need to worry about lag, even the optimization is better now when I first played this game i was getting a lot of stutters and input lag in multiplayer but no longer its all fixed now.

now just recently they

now just recently they have released the western front armies which i believe has brought this game back to life, it comes with two new armies the Oberkommando and usa which is only $20 and well worth it also on top of that it also gives custom game lobbies which is something people have been asking for since the game first got released and now they also have a thing called war spoils which when you finish a match there is a chance that you will get an item such as a commander or skin even faceplate oh and victory strikes.

Now for veteran players they have added three prestige levels so pretty much i believe this game now deserves a 10/10
  39. Jun 17, 2014
    It started bad, really bad. But it got better. Nice matchmaking, extremely well balanced and a definetely upgrade since the original CoH. Still, some features were better before, but this is definetely better.

An outstanding RTS worth money. Can't wait for the expansion that, based on the alpha, it will be even greater.
  40. Jun 16, 2014
    Seeing the reviews from what I suspect are Russian players they can't handle the facts of history. further on its a good game not standalone worthy it's more like an expansion with some graphical updates and some extra 's . as a big fan of the series since day 1 and with a lot of hours in the game i'd recommend it.
    of course the game has some flaws and maybe it's not perfect , but which game is ?
  41. Jun 15, 2014
    Developers turn out situation like Russians are worse than Nazis. I know, that it's just a game, but that game play people who know nothing about the WWII in Soviet Union and they think, that this **** is truthful. I have a feeling, that they didn't even read anything about WWII. Go watch some documentary films and read historical books.
  42. Jun 14, 2014
    The creators of the game seem to hate Russians. i could not stand the story mode. so pandering, it's just a rehashed enemy at the gates. The creators should really be ashamed.
  43. Jun 5, 2014
    Very good game, shows true side of soviets and their brutality in singleplayer campaign, very good improvements over first game, they released tons of patches and optimized all graphics, most of negative user reviews are out of date.
  44. Jun 4, 2014
    I love this game,
    I love this game,
    Company of Heroes was the best RTS for me and CoH2 is even better. Great Atmosphere, great graphic and gameplay. Some Units aren't historical in their strength but that would kill the Balance. The Game runs very stable and without any lag. A German campaign would be great. I think the bad Reviews are from Russian Players who can't accept that the soviets were even bad or worse than the Nazis. So if you liked CoH1, you will love CoH2.
  45. Jun 1, 2014
    Company of Heroes 2 is a game with alot of potential. Unfortunately the developers are more interested in bleeding you dry in addon content that does nothing to enrich the game. A poor balance leaves most Russian players wondering why they even bother to sign in. skip this title and save yourself hours of wondering why Relic hates the East.
  46. May 31, 2014
    Good things: solid competetive multiplayer, only decent RTS out there that's not Starcraft, pretty immersive
    Bad things: terrible astonishingly bad matchmaking, constant balance problems, game unstability leading to freezes and crashes, very greedy DLC policy
    I only play it because there isn't any good RTS out there. It's a big shame THQ had to sell Relic to Sega, because the latter one is a bunch of greedy morons who only care about money and it shows in CoH 2.
  47. May 30, 2014
    I don't know what you're all thinking but to me, this sequel is essentially a copy-and-paste work of the first title. Still the same mechanics, except that they somehow managed to turn this game into an insult to the Company of Heroes name. One thing I've seen improved is the graphics and even so, it still doesn't look DECENT to nowadays standard. And it gets even worse, the game is badlyI don't know what you're all thinking but to me, this sequel is essentially a copy-and-paste work of the first title. Still the same mechanics, except that they somehow managed to turn this game into an insult to the Company of Heroes name. One thing I've seen improved is the graphics and even so, it still doesn't look DECENT to nowadays standard. And it gets even worse, the game is badly optimized, it really put my gaming rig to a halt at some scenes. The cutscenes make me feel like I'm watching a 2000s game's cutscene and there's even better made cutscenes out there. I played this game just once, tried a few other modes but then I just uninstalled it with no regret. There're so many things to point out and "yell" at here but then that would be too much for me. Seriously, next time if you developers intend to make another COH game, don't screw it up like this one. The Great Patriotic War is a really rich area and you, in all of your wisdom, blew it. Total disappointment. Expand
  48. May 28, 2014
    Game is very similar to the Company of Heroes 1. If you are searching something completely innovative you won't find it. But if you want play in old good CoH you will have a lot of fun. At least I have :). Anyway you have GREAT balls to handle history topic in II WW. All of those who says "it's historical plot fake" please read books and check the truth. Specially stories about SeptemberGame is very similar to the Company of Heroes 1. If you are searching something completely innovative you won't find it. But if you want play in old good CoH you will have a lot of fun. At least I have :). Anyway you have GREAT balls to handle history topic in II WW. All of those who says "it's historical plot fake" please read books and check the truth. Specially stories about September '39 or Katyn massacre '40 or Soviet salvation at 44-45 (Warsaw uprising is also authentic story). Expand
  49. May 20, 2014
    Сan not be delivered -10 : (
    Lies, lies, lies. Distortion of history. Manufacturers goats. This game must be removed from sale.
    DON'T BUY IT! This is ****
  50. May 20, 2014
    This game isn't Nazi or west propaganda,is to be played on line,both factions are balanced,right now im enjoying play with Russians,is my everyday game,I must play at least one battle a day,Its the most addictive game in the market.
  51. May 14, 2014
    Im Russian,the story not the reality,wrote the story culminated people,who do not understand the history.This game affront to me. Autors don't know anything about the eastern front.
  52. May 14, 2014
    This game is easily the best WWII / RTS out there. I have played more than 100 hours online and still I'm not bored at all. The graphics, the online gameplay, unit movement, skills, gameplay variety, different commanders, ...

However I think how they made eastern European look in the campaign (and even unit descriptions) was a very bad marketing move, thus I think the reactons of these people is absolutely justified.

Game: 9/10
    Marketing: 0/10
  53. May 13, 2014
    Great game! Good graphics and sound. I never played COH1 so I can't compare to it, but I find COH2 to be well worth the $30 I paid on Steam for the base game and expansions.

If you like COH2 give Men Of War Assault Squad 2 a try also, another great game!
  54. May 7, 2014
    This is one of the best games I've played. The battles are epic, I play online all the time. I've never played the campaign yet, but I've put almost 300 hours into online and it's so amazing! The only game I play as much as this is Dota, Civilization V, and StarCraft II.
  55. May 4, 2014
    Waited this game because I liked playing "Company of Heroes" and "Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor".

In this game I was able to play only first 2 levels because I saw only anti-soviet propaganda.

I'm russian and I can't play game where soviet soldiers are shown only as "cannon fodder".
  56. Apr 28, 2014
    I just bought this game on steam sale after the free weekend and can SAFELY say its not as bad as these user reviews. These user reviews are a bunch of crybaby commie russian internerds. Period. Theyll never complain about the anti-USA anti-reality pro-commy pro-stalin bias in warthunder where russian UFOs rule the game and events REGULARLY leave out US and UK contributions duringI just bought this game on steam sale after the free weekend and can SAFELY say its not as bad as these user reviews. These user reviews are a bunch of crybaby commie russian internerds. Period. Theyll never complain about the anti-USA anti-reality pro-commy pro-stalin bias in warthunder where russian UFOs rule the game and events REGULARLY leave out US and UK contributions during events.

Now that thats out of the way lets get to the real review.

This game could actually be better than COH1 based on the latest versions balance. The DLC orgy is a little disgusting but i disagree that its pay 2 win. Armored Jaeger doctrine is a damn good base. So is the russian one with "hit the dirt". I really think you can win competitively with these non-pay doctrines.

Also, I was going in to the free weekend thinking I would hate the snow/weather but its actually really cool. You can sink tanks in frozen lakes/rivers with artillery and it will refreeze over during blizzards.

Single player is a one time thing. I think its worth going through once. The best scenarios are like carentan from COH1 where you are facing long odds defending a village.

Unit voices from COH1 are untoppable, its a step down, but im not going to mark down for that.

Honestly, if you dont know what COH2 is about and are reading this, just watch a youtube on multiplayer. Its going to be 90% multiplayer with some comp-stomp to try out new strategies and microing.

I give it -1 for the DLC ugliness and -1 for minor issues like disconnects during games.
  57. Apr 26, 2014
    This is false, anti-Soviet, anti-Russian game that has nothing to do with the real history! It offends the memory of the entire Soviet people (at the moment all the people living in the former Soviet Union), who sacrificed their lives and fought for their motherland, their country, their people, their relatives.
  58. Apr 25, 2014
    The first Company of Heroes was greatest WWII strategy, but Company of Heroes 2 is worst game of Relic.This game has no historical evidence. This is nazi game for nazis.
  59. Apr 20, 2014
    This game is disliked to oblivion for its campaign but it's not really that bad.

The campaign is solid, nothing special, but had some epic moments and was a good starting point before I head out to the multiplayer. The multiplayer is why this game is so good, you have intense 1v1 fights and epic team fights, you have a lot of strategies and units, just two factions but both have a lot

The multiplayer is why this game is so good, you have intense 1v1 fights and epic team fights, you have a lot of strategies and units, just two factions but both have a lot of content.
    They keep adding new commanders and maps which is good because it keeps the game fresh.
    Too bad a lot of this is paid content for which I have to lower the score.
    I also have massive technical trouble with it, had to do a lot of fixes to make it crash less often. This is unnaceptable in a full AAA release and is reflected in the score.
    Overall it's the best WW2 RTS out there, at least imo. Even with its incredible technical issues it gets a solid 7/10.
  60. Apr 19, 2014
    As much as the Russian front needs to be brought to the game series and decent graphics (seriously it could have been better), it is plagued by serious technical issues that are on the developers end and not user end. Even with systems that far exceed the requirements like mine (4770k, HD 7970 OC). Patches that come out that has not been tested, patches to fix patches and constant annoyingAs much as the Russian front needs to be brought to the game series and decent graphics (seriously it could have been better), it is plagued by serious technical issues that are on the developers end and not user end. Even with systems that far exceed the requirements like mine (4770k, HD 7970 OC). Patches that come out that has not been tested, patches to fix patches and constant annoying and frustrating crashes to desktop during mid-game. Yes 75% of the time the game crashes mid combat for no reason at all. On top of that a clustered UI. Looks like a kid designed it. Disappointment in the series. Might as well keep playing CoH 1 :P Expand
  61. Apr 14, 2014
    So here it goes. When I've tried COH i liked it straight away, i have played it everything was great, and every game was diferent, and you could play diferently and uses diferrent tactis, and your oponent would adjust to that, and you would play more because it was enertaining, heart pounding action. While enjoying the sound, video effects, vehicle movements, etc. It was great. Now thenSo here it goes. When I've tried COH i liked it straight away, i have played it everything was great, and every game was diferent, and you could play diferently and uses diferrent tactis, and your oponent would adjust to that, and you would play more because it was enertaining, heart pounding action. While enjoying the sound, video effects, vehicle movements, etc. It was great. Now then again me and probably everyone else was thinking it would be great to play as soviets, and as we found out about COH2 it was a really great news. Now when comparing both games you don't need to be a pro in games, all you need to is to play both games, and then you see how bad COH 2 is. It is just bad game, thats all.

First thing when i installed it on my laptop, I was surprised that it was lagging on lowest settings, (even though i can play original COH on medium-high settings) and it looked disgusting.

Second - interface, who created it I do not know, but i know that the team responsible for it probably never even played RTS before, or are completely incompetent when it comes to design, very very amateur work. so much unecessary stuff is cramped on your screen. Cursor animations are horrible, it would suit for 2000s game or so, but not COH, come on.

Comand trees are gone, you have only one choice between three commanders, and then 5 of their abilities (and they do have similar abilities between them, and at least one is completely passive).

Every game feels the same, you have to be completely aggressive all the time.

Anyways most of the things have been explained by other people. Conclusion, I am not recommending this game. It very average game - kind of like a cheap remake, when a crappy company would copy a great and succesful product. Thats what COH2 is to COH. Do not bother buying it, enjoy COH, like I am. Peace
  62. Apr 13, 2014
    Please ignore the reviews below 7. This game has been attacked by Russians who can`t tell what is true about WWII in any case.

I just picked this game few days ago and man, it is so good! A wonderful RTS set in horrible days of World War II. In singleplayer campaign that takes about 12 hours, you get to play the Soviets (Russians).Everything here is realistic. Very bad Red Army made

In singleplayer campaign that takes about 12 hours, you get to play the Soviets (Russians).Everything here is realistic. Very bad Red Army made of amateurs, not able to command anything, with inferior commanders, coward soldiers and poor machinery. They even shot a lot of their own people for no reason. This is all recreated in the game, the player depends mostly on Soviet cannonfodder in the first missions with it getting a little better with poor T34 tanks for example.

There are some problems with the game.
    1. In sp you can`t play as the Germans.
    2. It needs a very strong pc to run good (but when you do the graphics are very nice).
    3. AI can be very stupid at times.

Nonetheless this game provides very realistic battles in a realistic enough setting so it is very satisfying, even when you play as Stalin lover.

Wonderful, beautiful game 10/10.
  63. Apr 13, 2014
    Creators is a **** addicts!!!! The game is a ugly ****
    **** fascists
    brainless
    idiocy
    distortion of historical reality
    developers are sick in the head people
  64. Apr 6, 2014
    Game improved to date, and did have fun in many games i made so far, once i didn't even noticed game was lasting more then a hour and a half cause i was so deeply involved in game. Only problems i find these days are the lack of proper leaderbords and the fact that no one cares about Russia.
  65. Mar 29, 2014
    This is not a strategy game, it's been totally dumbed down to the point it should be called an arcade game. The majority of it runs on rails, it's predecessor did also, but it did it better and made you feel like it was more"open" gameplay. This game was a waste of money, speaking of which nice to see SEGA turn it into constant revenue stream via steam add-ons. What the hell happened?
  66. Mar 12, 2014
    I cannot rate it as RTS itself since I haven't played RTS much, but this game is absolutely **** from the history point of view. Create you own universe like WH-40k and write the scenario you want. Don't try to make a game or movie related to a REAL theme about which you don't know anything.
    If Soviets have done what shown in the game they would loose that war. The creators are idiots.
  67. Mar 1, 2014
    I love this game really much! Its been a lot of trouble on the way but I really love to see all the updates coming up all the time to fix it and even more that you are upgrading the game at the same time from the opinion we, the fans got about the game. What more can I say, you listen, fix it and deliver a wonderful experience.
  68. Feb 28, 2014
    Clearly the best example of RTS for all time. It is considerably exciting in terms of reality, sound effects and playability. However, the sense of willing to earn money from doctrines, skins and campaigns still remain controversial.
  69. Feb 25, 2014
    It's a piece of ****! Zero. It's a sneer of history. If you want to safe remains of your mind, never play this disgusting canadian product. Programs of this nothingness will go straightly to hell))
  70. Feb 24, 2014
    Not as well balanced as the original with less interesting units, abilities and combos. As of me writing this, Relic is finally getting around to updating the matchmaking system (about 9 years late), so hopefully the changes are improvements.

Russia seems to have brought hell down on Relic. One point that I can sympathize over; its company of HEROES, where in the single player campaign you follow a traitor and cry baby Russian who was anything but a hero.

In multiplayer they have greatly reduced the importance of countering units with other units. It has been dulled down by simply bringing numbers and using range attacks. Hopefully this gets fixed in later patches and this game lives up to what we would expect as a continuation of Company of Heroes.
  71. Feb 20, 2014
    I am a long time gamer, played most RTS games that have come out in the past 30 years. I am a big fan of the original COH, and still play to this day. I was anxiously awaiting COH2, expecting big things. I will admit, at first I didn't care for it. After playing it for a few more hours, it grew on me and I started to notice the difference between the original and part 2. The first thing II am a long time gamer, played most RTS games that have come out in the past 30 years. I am a big fan of the original COH, and still play to this day. I was anxiously awaiting COH2, expecting big things. I will admit, at first I didn't care for it. After playing it for a few more hours, it grew on me and I started to notice the difference between the original and part 2. The first thing I noticed was the pop. cap. Its always at 100 and never goes down or up, no matter how many points on the map are held. The points held on the map only increase the speed at which you get points for building, not the population cap. That means its possible to make a come back even if the enemy holds most of the points. The Russian army has a unique approach to winning, its no longer about who can build the most tanks. Skill and decision making about which points to take and when will win the game. With the pop. cap at 100, you cannot cover all the points at the same time. There is a steady ebb and flow to the game play if the teams are evenly matched. Being able to replenish your forces on the map in a timely manner is the key because both sides take heavy losses the entire game. The line of sight mechanic seems to work well and flanking works better when the enemy can't see you all the time. It also makes ambushes possible. The weather effects in the game are a welcome addition and it increases the need to watch your infantry and how close they are to cover when a blizzard is about to hit. The fires that can be built do not last that long and they cost man power, and cannot be built by the average infantry. Although the infantry can build sandbag walls and they are very important in this game, since there is a lack of true base defenses. The infantry and vehicles last longer in fire fights, thereby giving you time to asses the situation and send reinforcements, or retreat and regroup. After playing both the Russian and German sides, the difference between the two armies is very noticeable and therefore will require different strategies to win. The Germans do have a small defensive structure, an MG nest that can be built anywhere on the map. Also, their vehicles seem to be a bit better than the Russians in the aspect of firepower, but the Russians can ram with tanks and their AT guns are not bad once they level up. The anti-tank weapons that are carried by both sides are woefully inefficient on any vehicle. Although, the anit-infantry weapons they carry are great and do lots of damage to infantry. You really need to babysit infantry in order to use the specials, they are not used without the player input. When playing skirmish, the A.I. is unrelenting, even on the easiest level. It seems to take a lot longer to kill their units, while theirs kills yours at a normal pace. Picking your General's powers is different and takes some getting used to, but its essentially the same as the original. The camera angles are fine, not too different from the original. I am not a big fan of paying for DLC, something that should have been in the game from the start. Also, there are not nearly enough maps that were released with this game. I did not build my computer to run games, but its no slouch either. I have a decent rig with a crappy video card, that I am going to immediately upgrade, and I am able to run COH2 pretty smoothly as long as all the settings are on the minimum. I have a Geforce 315, yes I know its terrible. But it does run the game pretty well. Overall, if you want to like this game, don't try to compare it to the original. It takes a well known formula and just makes things a bit different. Is there room for improvement? Sure! Will it happen in patches, hopefully! Also, I am sick and tired of listening to people saying "boo-hoo, its terrible how they portray the nations in this game, boo-hoo". This is just a game people, its meant to be played as a game, not a history lesson. If you want a history lesson, go to school. Expand
  72. Feb 19, 2014
    This game is historical **** People of the nation that destroyed red race in North America, two hydrogen bombs dropped on two densely populated city, and blew two skyscraper with live people inside, say Red Army Russian world evil.
  73. Feb 19, 2014
    In short : Not worth playing.

Won't trust the Metacritic? Just check the Steam reviews, you can see some reviewers have invested 300+ hours to the game and still, they give negative reviews. The only good thing is the true sight mechanic. But then, it's not a really a strong leap in gaming. Warland EE and Warland Airland is a better game with realism in mind. The others? Bad.
    In short : Not worth playing.

The others? Bad.
    Pathfinding sucks. This alone should stop you to buy this game.
    Not to mention having to purchase tons of DLC to play a "commander". Some games still have the decency to not sell important things in DLC, but Relic thought that it would be great to sell out important things. Some game decently only sells skins or things to display, but Relic choose to be hated by selling out important things.

Congratulations to Relic for killing Company of Heroes.
  74. Feb 18, 2014
    Relic READ HE BOOK, NO at least read the Wikiipedia. You are dishonored the millions of the soviet soldiers and officers, you are dishoneored my grandfather. Curse you
  75. Feb 16, 2014
    I think Company of Heroes 2 is a great improvement over its first title. In all the time I spent playing (114h) I've never found even a single bug, crash, or any issues mentioned by other users, so I feel like this game is suffering a big boycott at this website from people who think they know very well what Stalin's policies were about during the 2nd World War. I think the game it's wellI think Company of Heroes 2 is a great improvement over its first title. In all the time I spent playing (114h) I've never found even a single bug, crash, or any issues mentioned by other users, so I feel like this game is suffering a big boycott at this website from people who think they know very well what Stalin's policies were about during the 2nd World War. I think the game it's well developed historically speaking, taking into account that not only the Nazi faction committed atrocious crimes against humanity, and being clearly in favour of all the Russian soldiers who suffered the consequences of Stalin's war policies narrating them in the perspective of a soldier. While I don't think the storyline is anything great, it's definitely not biased.

The negative part of Company of Heroes 2 is that...: Would you like to have more commanders? Cash. Do you want more maps? Cash. Do you want more skins for your vehicles? Cash. Do you want anything we pretend to release since the first game's launch? Cash, cash, cash. I sincerely feel like I paid for the half part of a game which hasn't been finished and it's still under development.

In my opinion this is the best Real Time Strategy game at the moment. It's unique in its genre and it's clearly the one dominating in terms of quality. If you like fast paced real time strategy games, realism and the 2nd World War period, you should get it.
  76. Feb 15, 2014
    All the debate about "historical accuracy" is largely irrelevant as it is a GAME based on historical events -- it is not and it does not purport to be an actual historical document. Some people simply cannot move on from that fact.

More importantly, the game itself simply sucks. Surely my personal greatest disappointment of 2013 (with Rome II a close second, thanks SEGA for both!), a degeneration from CoH1. And the argument that "Coh1 wasn't perfect on release either!!!", it certainty wasn't but it had a fundamentally good design core that is lacking in this release.

There are those that say "ride it out and in a few years time they will have patched it into a great (aka finally playable) state". Guess people should ride out their crappy marriages year after year in the hope that finally they'll get their act together and live happily ever fairy tale after also.

Because if you believe it hard enough, then surely it MUST come true, right?
  77. Feb 13, 2014
    I believe this game is very great!, Mind the reviews saying: "national socialist propaganda!"
    Also, why some facts WERE true during the war, ( most notable one is Order 227 during Stalingrad )
    Relic didn't fail, the high ranking ones failed, not the testers, creators , modelers and other employees. You act like wild dogs, really. - Overall the game is really great! but i am sure

You act like wild dogs, really.

Overall the game is really great! but i am sure that they issued sandbags during war and the germans too.

They used a bit awkard character models ( very noticeable ) but overall the game is HARD when putted on general.

recommended, and one last thing, i pity the hate user called "RelicRuined" pfft
  78. Feb 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Blitzkrieg was way way better. This is just a garbage game that was created by Nazi's. Horrid graphics and optimization. I was so excited for this game, only to have it turn out to be garbage. I'm glad I never bought it. Expand
  79. Feb 4, 2014
    I do not understand why the international community allows such "creations" in general to be born and exist. Why did not anyone close to hell their office that makes such gaming industry abortions? Deliberate distortion of historical facts, the propaganda of fascism, blackening the image of Russian soldiers and Russia as a whole, and it is not a complete list. I am just interested to lookI do not understand why the international community allows such "creations" in general to be born and exist. Why did not anyone close to hell their office that makes such gaming industry abortions? Deliberate distortion of historical facts, the propaganda of fascism, blackening the image of Russian soldiers and Russia as a whole, and it is not a complete list. I am just interested to look into the eyes of the people who created it. Where was their conscience and morality? Expand
  80. Jan 29, 2014
    Historically very inaccurate. One could believe the campaign scenarios where written by a Nazi propaganda officer.
    I do admit though that the game stays very fun to play.
  81. Jan 26, 2014
    Couldn't stomach the propaganda.

The campaign was too much to bear, it's as if the script for this game was written jointly by Winston Churchill and Joseph McCarthy. I was really looking forward to this game, it proclaimed to show where the majority of WWII was fought: on the Eastern Front. Had it told it from a Russian and/or anti-imperial prospective (AKA "fact based"), it would
    Couldn't stomach the propaganda.

I was really looking forward to this game, it proclaimed to show where the majority of WWII was fought: on the Eastern Front. Had it told it from a Russian and/or anti-imperial prospective (AKA "fact based"), it would have been a riveting game. You would have learned how the USSR saved civilization from a New Dark Age by defeating the Nazi's at Stalingrad; how aspects of the Imperial UK sought to foment fascism by financing Hitler (read "Facts and Fascism" and "The Anglo-American Establishment"); how the UK elites got the war going and how they did everything they could to delay the US from opening a second (Western) front; how the Soviets supported the legitimate republican government of Spain against Franco; and much more. Real history is, in fact, incredibly interesting, but you'll never learn those things from this game--because here in the West, spineless wretches rule supreme, and nobody has the gall to stand up for historical truth.

We see, this game being one of countless examples, that Imperialism is everywhere. It is in everything you read, everything you see, everything you consume. Everywhere the fear exists of being ostracized for going against the "Establishment". If the game-designers at Relic thought that this era of history was worthwhile in observing, as it secured Liberty and Freedom for future generations (as it did) then what a disgrace that these spineless eunuchs would then abstain from exercising their rights to speech so willingly.

Do yourself a favor and don't buy this game. The same level of mental and intellectual degeneration that made this game into a shameless piece of imperial apologetic propaganda also made the game-play infinitely inferior to the original.

It's almost as if you can see the decline of the West mirrored in the intellectual produce it creates.
  82. Jan 24, 2014
    Company of Heroes 2 is a great follow-up to the hugely successful and influential Company of Heroes. In this installment gamers are taken to the Eastern Front in the battle between the Soviet Union and Germany. Like the first CoH before its expansions, the campaign is Allies only. There are a number of challenge maps, both single-player and cooperative, on each side. But the single playerCompany of Heroes 2 is a great follow-up to the hugely successful and influential Company of Heroes. In this installment gamers are taken to the Eastern Front in the battle between the Soviet Union and Germany. Like the first CoH before its expansions, the campaign is Allies only. There are a number of challenge maps, both single-player and cooperative, on each side. But the single player experience is really about prepping gamers to play online.

A number of changes have been made to the formula of CoH. For one, resource points are no longer set, but can be assigned when captured. That is to say all strategic sectors generate manpower to the group that captures them. While the uses of the three main resources are the same, players gain munitions or fuel by locking down a point, which allows fights to be over more than a few critical sectors. On the other hand its makes starving the armor-heavy German faction of fuel a much more difficult ordeal.

Line-of-sight rules have had an overhaul. Now instead of units simply having a fixed vision radius it is affected by terrain and obstructions. This means that infantry can't see over walls and your tanks won't know what's on the other side of that large building. With some of the hilly or forested maps this has brought ambush tactics to the forefront. Such infantry tactics are necessary to secure a Soviet victory. This is especially true since inexplicably tanks traps are no longer in the game. Now that armor can't be bottlenecked reconnaissance and hidden flanking units must be used to their fullest.

As of the time of this writing, while the balance has improved significantly over launch, it is not balanced nearly as well as its predecessor. I do not think this ruins the potential of the game, as I'm sure that early adopters of the first CoH will remember the years it took to balance that game and the re-balancing that was needed with the additional factions of Opposing Fronts and units from Tales of Valor. The trend has been towards a more well balanced game.

Rather than major expansions it seems that CoH2 is opting for a model of incremental DLC. Packs of a few new commanders (which function like trees in the first game) and units are being sold piecemeal. I expect that if there will be any major DLC or expansions it would be the addition of a new faction. However as an Eastern Front game that seems difficult and unlikely. Factions from the Western Front would be out of place (and are covered in the first game) and there is little room for the small-scale tactical ground wars in the Pacific theatre.

Bottom line is if you liked the first CoH I see no reason why this shouldn't be a no-brainer. As long as you remember that the first game wasn't balanced overnight you can have a lot of fun hours playing this game!

Note: I am sticking to giving a fair score of my own, but I will admit there is a part of me that wants to bump this to a 9 or 10 to help overcome the ridiculous number of people giving it a zero. For a game to warrant a zero it would need to be completely non-functional and unplayable, these are just people raging.
  83. Jan 21, 2014
    You would have more fun if you slathered yourself in goat fat and walked into the middle of a hungry pack of wolves and kicked the pack leader right in the nads, I'm not joking! I was so looking forward to this game after the love affair I had with COH 1 and this game is the biggest let down I have had the opportunity to experience! It's not that the game is beautiful, or the new skillsYou would have more fun if you slathered yourself in goat fat and walked into the middle of a hungry pack of wolves and kicked the pack leader right in the nads, I'm not joking! I was so looking forward to this game after the love affair I had with COH 1 and this game is the biggest let down I have had the opportunity to experience! It's not that the game is beautiful, or the new skills and skill tree that you could use; or even the new units, I must say they all look great. It's the fact that this game is more buggy than road kill thats been on the road for a week in the middle of July! The game never runs longer than 5 minutes without a spectacular cosmic death crash that once crashed it will force you to upload the update again, never mind that you uploaded the update 5 billion times before on the previous crashes; which BTW takes around 30-45 minutes while you sit and wait for it to complete while it completey wastes your time. The best that SEGA can offer is "reinstall the game", or "reinstall your video drivers again and again like some demented parrot that has nothing better to say, hope that if it repeats itself so many times that you will either give up or you will believe that finally this time it might just work. Save your money and go purchase another game that you will have more fun with, or go to the movies; hell pay someone to beat the crap out of you, you will have more fun than sitting and trying to get this game to limp along and function as a normal game should. You have been warned! Expand
  84. Jan 21, 2014
    DLC's: the downfall of this boring ass game; single player story: childlike, rushed, predictable at best; TOW: same as skirmish battles but with limited features; Multiplayer: Laggy, usually up to the first tank rush
  85. Jan 21, 2014
    I'll give Company of Heroes a 4/10 because it's not the worst game ever made, I can think of other games that are more deserving of a 0-1/10 - looking at you Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. However, I (like many other gamers) feel that Company of Heroes 2 just doesn't live up to the expectations of its predecessor.

What has happened to the sophisticated commander tree? It has been

What has happened to the sophisticated commander tree? It has been replaced by a new commander system with no choice, except you can choose 5 different commander 'perks' before a match, then when you get commander points it'll unlock perks automatically (as each perk has a commander point requirement that, once reached, the perk will instantly become available). Okay, but at least CoH 2 has interesting concept art briefs between each mission right? Wrong. Those concept art briefs - which I, personally, loved and associated with the CoH titles - have been replaced by 30 second longish cut scenes between a lieutenant (who you never see or hear from in the missions) that is going to be executed for desertion and his old commander talking about the war - CoH 2 has replaced exciting and interesting character development and artistic cut scenes for a character you'll never see in-game and mediocre between mission cut scenes. There's almost no continuity between missions, in the original CoH you'd get a patriotic and informative brief (so you know what's going on in the grand scale of things), but in CoH 2 it's a case of; a minute cut scene that says "the Germans attacked Russia" and "they get really close to Moscow", from there on it's a case of go there, kill them, we won, fight them - then the level design and gameplay follows this pattern, so what may seem interesting and innovative to start becomes dull and representative in later missions. Yet another CoH 2 mistake is the lack of units, you'll have 2 units that you'll ever really use, your conscripts (infantry) and the T34s (tanks), that's it, you do have snipers (that for some reason only use stealth while they're in cover) and mortar teams etc but what's the point when they'll just get flooded by infantry and tanks? If you want to fight for the Germans, you better go somewhere else, because the singleplayer campaign is all Soviet - you can play as the Germans in multiplayer. Well, you can also play as the Germans in a new feature called 'Theater of War' which, basically, mini-campaigns with about 2 singleplayer missions and tonnes of co-op missions (which is a welcome feature) - but when I realized that my friends weren't prepared to pay £30 for a sub-par sequel, I was left with about 4 hours of German gameplay, max...

Well... I think I've said all that I can about Company of Heroes 2. In conclusion, I'm not satisfied with Sega's sequel on what was a milestone in real-time strategy games. It has lost its strategy and has replaced it with numbers. And has many little 'features' that'll drive you mad, like units flashing their player colour when they're clicked on and all your recruited units now start off-map so you have to wait for them to come to you. There seems to be a never ending list of what's wrong with CoH 2, it's like they got the designs and features from the original games and said "these are good, but, scrap them and let's start from fresh without taking any inspiration from the originals". Plus CoH 2, to me, seems to have been Sega-fied.
  86. Jan 19, 2014
    As a CoH veteran I enjoy playing Company of Heroes 2. Even tho it isn't really optimised and the graphics havent changed much compared to the first sequel I still get a solid 50 fps at medium with a 3y old average pc.

The campain is simple, but good. Nothing that did bind me on the monitor due to high level of entertainment gameplay whise. However I as a history student & nerd loved the accuracy the campain shows regarding soviet-german actions during the war. Finally someone who's got the balls to use valid sources instead of a soviet school book.

Mechanics are still great, the f2p-like model doesnt really bother me & the new snow mechanic is a nice add on, thought I prefer summer maps.
  87. Jan 17, 2014
    After so many years since the original Company of Heroes, many people, including me feel rather let down by what is on offer in this game. The campaign is pretty standard, and is quite similar to that in the original game in terms of objectives and the level design and the voice acting is decent. The fact that your units can freeze to death and that you must go near fire to keep warm isAfter so many years since the original Company of Heroes, many people, including me feel rather let down by what is on offer in this game. The campaign is pretty standard, and is quite similar to that in the original game in terms of objectives and the level design and the voice acting is decent. The fact that your units can freeze to death and that you must go near fire to keep warm is interesting at first, but the concept gets old and repetitive rather quickly. In many ways the Russians seem like a reskinned USA from the first game. Many units and buildings look underwhelming with the models used in the first game looking much better in comparison. What is even more disappointing is that the game's
    optimization is horrendous. This game looks very similar to the original Company of Heroes and performs terribly. I struggle to get a constant 40fps on low settings on my laptop, and this same laptop gets 60+ fps in the original Company of Heroes with maxed out detail and 50+ fps on high settings in Starcraft 2.

There are some good points of this game though. The Theatre of War game mode is quite interesting as there are multiple challenging missions to complete either solo or with a friend but it does seem a bit of a stretch that you have to pay to play the additional challenges. The integration of Steam Workshop is also quite cool. Your troops can also jump over sandbags now, but honestly is that really game changing?

At the end of the day, Company of Heroes 2 is difficult to recommend. The game is hardly any different than the original Company of Heroes, costs much more and performs terribly. Company of Heroes 2 also lacks clan support and the like, a mechanic that RTS games such as Starcraft 2 implement very well. If you want a great RTS experience I would suggest you pick up Starcraft 2 and its expansion or even the original Company of Heroes for a fraction of the price.
  88. Jan 17, 2014
    It’s a beautiful, gritty and spectacular strategy game, and while it doesn’t do much particularly new, it doesn’t have to. [VG] Enough said! For a RTS its 9/10 in my book
  89. Jan 17, 2014
    The game is pretty good. It's not perfect of course. Graphics are very nice and the game runs very smooth on maximum settings. The gameplay is unique and fun.
    All those negative reviews comes from russian fascists who falsificates history. Red army were no heroes, they were scum, same as nazis. Neither of them are winners. So thanks to developers for not falsificating the history.
  90. Jan 16, 2014
    I didn't like the first CoH really at all but this is way better. My problem with this game is that it's very arcady which isn't what I was looking in a world war 2 RTS so I like Men of War way more but that's personal preference but this is still a pretty ok RTS. So what about the tecnical stuff? This game is quite pretty, not amazingly so but the effects like the explosions and smoke areI didn't like the first CoH really at all but this is way better. My problem with this game is that it's very arcady which isn't what I was looking in a world war 2 RTS so I like Men of War way more but that's personal preference but this is still a pretty ok RTS. So what about the tecnical stuff? This game is quite pretty, not amazingly so but the effects like the explosions and smoke are well made. The optimization isn't great but it's not awful (it's certainly better than the original CoH) I have an average PC (1000 €) and it ran ok. This game has a lot of content to play, versus multiplayer and co-op. You might want to buy this when it's on sale if you're interested in an arcadey world war 2 RTS. Expand
  91. Jan 16, 2014
    The game gets an 8! But +2 to counter the attack of sad russian kids who whine about inaccurate history.
    Get ur facts right, maybe this game is a bit too negative about Russia in WW2 but they were nothing better than the germans!

A bit different form the first game but in a good way i think, lots and lots of hours of fun in the multiplayer!
    BUY IT!
  92. Jan 16, 2014
    This is despite what a lot of people say a very good game.
    Yes it is a little different from the first one, which was good but not complete tough.
    But with the addition of true sight, weather and some more stuff i really think besides the setting that this is an improvement to the first game. The multiplayer part doesn't always work the way it should but its good enough for a lot of
    This is despite what a lot of people say a very good game.
    The multiplayer part doesn't always work the way it should but its good enough for a lot of fun!
    This toghether with the high demands for your computer and the pre-release DLC is the only bad part of
    the game.
    And it's a game so stop whining about russian discrimination!
    I could easily play this game for another 7 years if there are enough opponents online.
    Buy it when u enjoy a good strategy game!
  93. Jan 14, 2014
    I really enjoyed the game in spite of the initial beta that was too different from his predecessor. The campaign could last a little 'more, even if the "theater of war" increases the total hours of play and really get many achievements. I do not agree with those who say that the story is bogus and should be censored, I think that a war is never good and right and history has shown someI really enjoyed the game in spite of the initial beta that was too different from his predecessor. The campaign could last a little 'more, even if the "theater of war" increases the total hours of play and really get many achievements. I do not agree with those who say that the story is bogus and should be censored, I think that a war is never good and right and history has shown some respects occurred. The protagonist and the Colonel are always Russian! Game mechanics improved over the first. Impeccable graphics and soundtracks, videos could be made better. I am very pleased for the game, shame about the many DLC for a fee. Expand
  94. Jan 13, 2014
    - terrible,stupid sp (full of worst kind of propaganda by the way :) )

+fun and diverse mp and that is only thing that i care for. Many units and strategies. Good balance.
  95. Jan 11, 2014
    As a fan of the first CoH, I naturally got CoH 2 in the Boxing Day sales, however the game is unplayable! After the first cutscene the game runs with unplayable frames, dwindling around 25. Considering the graphics have barely changed since CoH 1, this is outrageous. I am sure it's not my Pc, as my specs are better than needed to play the game fine, at least at 80-100 fps on medium. ThisAs a fan of the first CoH, I naturally got CoH 2 in the Boxing Day sales, however the game is unplayable! After the first cutscene the game runs with unplayable frames, dwindling around 25. Considering the graphics have barely changed since CoH 1, this is outrageous. I am sure it's not my Pc, as my specs are better than needed to play the game fine, at least at 80-100 fps on medium. This issue is known, and as soon as I can play the damn thing, I'll give a real review of it, however avoid this game at all costs, at least until a patch comes out. Expand
  96. Jan 10, 2014
    i both loved and hated this game, loved the accurate portrayal of WW2 russia (no one else has the balls to do so, just look at all the butthurt russians downvoting it) but i hated the pay to win system. still, campaign was very enjoyable and multiplayer is amazing
  97. Jan 9, 2014
    Great game. One of the few examples where developers were not afraid to show the truth. Keep it up! For those who say that the game is lying recommend to learn history. On the other hand, it is not surprising that many Russians considers it as lies. Unfortunately it is still normal to falsifying the history in Russia.
  98. Jan 8, 2014
    The "Mein Kampf" of videogames. Avoid this piece of revisionism. Makes me wonder if Relic are neo-nazi's or just plain ignorant. Maybe both. This game should be banned
  99. Jan 7, 2014
    The average user score is CORRECT, it is about a 2/10. It is such a shame, really, as I have been playing COH since its inception in 2006. The rev 2 version is bugged, crashes often, needs a high end rig and video card, and just plain not balanced. You can't re-bind your keys, the MP often de-synchs, and the list goes on and on. Do I play it? Sure. Is Men of War Assault Squad better? YES
  100. Jan 5, 2014
    i loved the first one, and i also love this one. Its different, i think it lost some of its pacing etc. but its still so much fun to play :)

espacially in Multiplayer its total awesome... the campaing, thats a different story

1. Oct 7, 2013