Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts PC

• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Sep 24, 2007
8.6

1. Oct 26, 2012
    If you loved the original game you'll probably like this expansion as well. It offers two new campaigns which are worth playing, if not fantastic. Overall I liked these significantly less than the original, due to short length, limited unit selection, and insufficient information. I found that often you just had to figure out on your own what the new units/buildings did, and this was evenIf you loved the original game you'll probably like this expansion as well. It offers two new campaigns which are worth playing, if not fantastic. Overall I liked these significantly less than the original, due to short length, limited unit selection, and insufficient information. I found that often you just had to figure out on your own what the new units/buildings did, and this was even more frustrating on the German campaign because all the unit/structure names were in German. Despite this, Opposing Fronts was a fun experience and I wouldn't let these shortcomings deter me from recommending it. Expand
  2. Aug 15, 2012
    Since I'll be getting CoH 2 soon I thought I better step back in time and finish the Opposing Fronts expansion which I put off for some reason. The campaigns are split in two so it is about the same length as the first game but it just feels shorter. The campaigns seem a bit forced and rushed while lacking any depth. Relic reused maps within the campaigns instead of creating new andSince I'll be getting CoH 2 soon I thought I better step back in time and finish the Opposing Fronts expansion which I put off for some reason. The campaigns are split in two so it is about the same length as the first game but it just feels shorter. The campaigns seem a bit forced and rushed while lacking any depth. Relic reused maps within the campaigns instead of creating new and interesting territory to fight for. The gameplay is similar but the challenges are too simplistic; defend here, destroy a bridge, set up a roadblock.

Someone else mentioned it below but the AI artillery is automatic and deadly in this game and designed to be a hindrance to the point of frustration. Another bad design option was the use of sequenced timed missions which can be triggered by capturing points along the map so you'll be in the middle of completing an objective and suddenly be on the timer for the main mission.

It's a fun game if you like RTS but not as good as the original.
  3. TakeshiJ.
    Dec 28, 2007
    I loved the first one, expecially the online features, but this game is great. Awesome graphics, game play, and sounds, but unfortunatly quite bugy. Online play can be quite irritating if objects are rainbow coloured, units won't move, or shortcut keys are locked up. Other parts need to be ballenced more, British artilliry is really irritating if it can hit your German headquarters I loved the first one, expecially the online features, but this game is great. Awesome graphics, game play, and sounds, but unfortunatly quite bugy. Online play can be quite irritating if objects are rainbow coloured, units won't move, or shortcut keys are locked up. Other parts need to be ballenced more, British artilliry is really irritating if it can hit your German headquarters all the tie, killing whoever is there or repairing it. Relic made a good choice to create an expansion to the original CoH, but they didn't quite get the bugs and ballances quite right. Expand
  4. AdamW.
    Oct 4, 2007
    This definitely feels more like a full game release and less like an expansion pack. After playing both scenarios (Panzer Elite and Brit's) you definitely feel like it was money and time well spent. When it comes to playing multiplayer it's a completely different story. There are so many bugs and issues waiting to be patched that this game only deserves a 7 at best(If This definitely feels more like a full game release and less like an expansion pack. After playing both scenarios (Panzer Elite and Brit's) you definitely feel like it was money and time well spent. When it comes to playing multiplayer it's a completely different story. There are so many bugs and issues waiting to be patched that this game only deserves a 7 at best(If multiplayer was working properly,9.5). Expand

1. With its generous two new campaigns and refined online capabilities, there’ll certainly be no argument from us that it’s nothing less than an essential purchase.
  2. Doesn’t do anything terribly interesting outside of adding two new factions (a defensive British division and a highly mobile German counterpart). The added campaigns are very average, but will no doubt be entertaining enough to satisfy the needs of offline-focused players. By all means, grab Opposing Fronts if you simply need more CoH – just don’t expect anything particularly revolutionary here.
  3. Sure, games such as "Supreme Commander" push the science-fiction RTS genre in cool new directions, but the World War II RTS genre has yet to learn the lessons of Company of Heroes. With Opposing Fronts, THQ and Relic keep a great thing going.