• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Sep 13, 2006
8.9

1. May 20, 2015
    A RTS style game that changes up the play field by using squads instead of units while playing. A Unique creative feature that fits in with the WW2 game. As a WW2 game the story is just what you would expect from the base of the game ( No DLC). Basically Band of Brothers in a video game format. Movement felt off as the units would fill in where they could and even though there was cover,A RTS style game that changes up the play field by using squads instead of units while playing. A Unique creative feature that fits in with the WW2 game. As a WW2 game the story is just what you would expect from the base of the game ( No DLC). Basically Band of Brothers in a video game format. Movement felt off as the units would fill in where they could and even though there was cover, they would be standing around getting picked off. Attacking other units was a confusing formula of are you going to hit? or how long will this take to end? Could have a squad of 4 targeted on 1 enemy solider in a open field and they would exchange gun fire for 30-45 seconds without hitting something. As a real time strategy game it was fun and challenging. When it comes to war themed RTS games I prefer Command and Conquer Expand
  2. Apr 25, 2015
    Still playing this game, after almost 7 years. Wow, that really says something. This is by far my favourite game on my PC, and oldest. Stellar Campaign, fun multi player, various game modes, and decent DLC's. Great game.
  3. Feb 24, 2015
    MikeW.
    Sep 17, 2007
    0 Its just not realistic, whats with you people? Can we please get away from unit damage/power bars? If a units hit its either killed or damaged & not able to repaired on the spot! In the real world a commander fights with what is available to him, he has to look after his men & equipment not just build a new tent that will produce fresh solders. Micromanaging all
    MikeW.
    Sep 17, 2007
    Its just not realistic, whats with you people? Can we please get away from unit damage/power bars? If a units hit its either killed or damaged & not able to repaired on the spot! In the real world a commander fights with what is available to him, he has to look after his men & equipment not just build a new tent that will produce fresh solders. Micromanaging all this resource nonsense and building units is total rubbish! Close Combat 1,2,3,4,5 and the new Cross of Iron from Matrix Games are the way forward, although i must admitt they could do with being made more pretty to look at like Company of Heroes.
  4. Feb 16, 2015
    Company of Heroes is one of the best RTS game in the world. its realistic graphics and system is very good until now. i'm still playing it in 2015!!!!!
  5. Jan 27, 2015
    As I stated in my Company of Heroes 2 this eschews good RTS for gratifying the Idiocracy wave of gamers. Getting rid of real resource management makes the game more similar to Men of War; except CoH (both of them) suck compared to MoW at the tactical level. The complete lack of realism in the game also is a buzzkiller for any WW2 fan. Had they done something similar to their Dawn of WarAs I stated in my Company of Heroes 2 this eschews good RTS for gratifying the Idiocracy wave of gamers. Getting rid of real resource management makes the game more similar to Men of War; except CoH (both of them) suck compared to MoW at the tactical level. The complete lack of realism in the game also is a buzzkiller for any WW2 fan. Had they done something similar to their Dawn of War RTS games (not that DoW RPG wannabe RTS crap=DoW2) then this might have been a decent series. This game is best left to the insta-gratification console generation. More and more games have been getting dumbed down and require little brains, this series is an example of that. There are far better games out there that require much more intelligence and provide real gameplay. I'm afraid with this game all hope is lost for real RTS games made for adults instead of teenagers. Expand
  6. cbe
    Dec 29, 2014
    Great game, determinately worth playing! The single player campaign is hard, but non unfair. High re-playability! I wish all single-player games were this good.
  7. Oct 12, 2014
    This game is amazing! Still playin' Autry and Hebecrevon Missions over and over and over again!
    Still playin' in 10/12/2014! 8 Years!
    Relic, amazing job!
  8. Sep 12, 2014
    Campaign somewhat a bore nothing new not challenging but the gameplay is just amazing, multiplayer is where its at. This game shines in multiplayer it's so challenging and strategical with quite a bit of options on how you want to build you're army and Graphics are ok nothing spectacular the physics are also nice. Very high replay value and super fun with friends or just competitive play.Campaign somewhat a bore nothing new not challenging but the gameplay is just amazing, multiplayer is where its at. This game shines in multiplayer it's so challenging and strategical with quite a bit of options on how you want to build you're army and Graphics are ok nothing spectacular the physics are also nice. Very high replay value and super fun with friends or just competitive play.
    Best RTS plain and simple.

Worth $50
  9. Jun 11, 2014
    Another average RTS game. It is a lot of fun until about level 3, where you will die again and again while wondering why your 4 riflemen can't defeat 10 tanks.
  10. May 30, 2014
    It's been 8 years since its release but everytime I want to find myself engulfed in WW2 asmosphere I still find this game one of the best choices. The campaign is well-written, the 2 armies are all-around balanced and the skirmish battles are nicely-done. Except for sometimes units engage each other in very very close quarter but they still keep shooting at each other, which is quiteIt's been 8 years since its release but everytime I want to find myself engulfed in WW2 asmosphere I still find this game one of the best choices. The campaign is well-written, the 2 armies are all-around balanced and the skirmish battles are nicely-done. Except for sometimes units engage each other in very very close quarter but they still keep shooting at each other, which is quite hilarious you would wonder why they won't stop shooting and go on melee mode all the way, but still... One of the best decisions I've ever made getting this game in 2006. Expand
  11. May 29, 2014
    ITS MASTERPIECE.
    never seen better WW game...its a complete game in every sense, filled with gripping combat , effect and lovely world... Still holds it position as best strategy..love this game.
  12. Apr 9, 2014
    Company of Heroes is the best video game that I have ever played, and in my opinion it is the chess of video gaming. I am still playing it regularly in 2014.

It is an absolute shame that COHO- Company of Heroes Online, was cancelled in late beta, because it is the only thing going that could derail this juggernaut. A diamond. Stairway to Heaven. A golden retriever. A sexy lady. An object of man made perfection.

COH also has the most graphic and realistic violence in the most ageless graphics of all war games. The voice acting, sound effects, and graphics are sublime. There is infinite depth in its complex array of play modes. Rest in Peace Brian Wood, you made the game to stand the test of time and honor its subject matter.
  13. Mar 26, 2014
    Best RTS i have ever played, and one of the best WW2 game also. Technically great from sounds to graphics. Something unseen before that. Game play now that's where it shines. I won't try to explay how it works, but simply said the tactics are what really matters, sure with huge amount of man power anyone can win a game, but what usually happens is someone who uses all those little thingsBest RTS i have ever played, and one of the best WW2 game also. Technically great from sounds to graphics. Something unseen before that. Game play now that's where it shines. I won't try to explay how it works, but simply said the tactics are what really matters, sure with huge amount of man power anyone can win a game, but what usually happens is someone who uses all those little things like cover, flanking, using strengts of every unit and so on. Just great RTS Expand
  14. Feb 25, 2014
    PRO's:

Gorgeous visuals with a competent game engine. A gorgeous soundtrack and brilliant sound design. A massive modding community that is still making original content for a game close to 8 years since its release. Varied factions that all play in remarkably different ways. Hundreds of strategies, different methods of play, a still active multiplayer community. The sequel drew
    PRO's:

Gorgeous visuals with a competent game engine.
    A gorgeous soundtrack and brilliant sound design.
    Varied factions that all play in remarkably different ways.
    The sequel drew back in old players after everyone realized how mediocre it was.
    Its Warhammer 40K on steroids and who doesn't like Warhammer?

CON's:

Their have been some pretty mind numbingly stupid patches made for the expansion.
    The expansions were not very good compared to the original.
    Some things are mostly fixed, but a lot is still broken since the attempt years ago was made to balance all the factions pretty much at once.
    Its starting to look a little long in the tooth visually.
    The multiplayer community is full of some pretty huge ego maniacal fellas that don't play nice with newer players.
    The automatches can be a dangerous breeding ground for contempt amongst those who are new to the game.
    The modding communities are always heading for different camps, with the intent of making the game more "realistic" or more "balanced," but they never really settle on more "fun."
    Some of the concepts are so far removed from reality that some people might prefer entirely different games such as the "Men of War" games.
    Multiple scathing and somewhat stupid historical inaccuracies that should've never been in the game.
    Tank battles are more arcade-like than any tank battles from actual reality.
    If you were content enough with Warhammer 40K and those expansions- you may have already played this game for the most part- only without the World War II aesthetic or theme.
  15. Feb 24, 2014
    Amazing game that raised the bar for RTS. Great balance for multilayer with fun maps and multiple game modes one of which is a MOBA with WWII tanks! Sega will not update the matchmaking system which is sad because this game has better balance than CoH2.
  16. Jan 15, 2014
    I have played many an RTS in my life, and I must say, this is the best one by some distance! Recommend it and the expansions (Opposing Fronts, Tales of Valor) to any RTS lovers out there!
  17. Dec 31, 2013
    This is a fantastic real-time strategy game no one should miss. Impressive graphics that successfully portrays the brutality of battles is what i love most about the game, which simply makes me want to keep playing and playing it although it has been 4 years since i started enjoying the game
  18. Nov 10, 2013
    Great game, although I never got into the competitive multiplayer because I was busy with Age of Empires 3 at the time. The graphics, sounds and visual effects were just stunning and the combat feels very realistic. The online is still up and running and quite alive (through Steam) for anyone looking for a new RTS to play competitively.
  19. Oct 27, 2013
    Nothing...I mean absolutely Nothing comes close to this Brilliant and wonderfully creative RTS in our lifetime!! It's 2013 and there are more games coming out with unbelievable graphics and physics, but this is one truly GREAT war-time game trilogy that will NEVER be over-matched or overlooked FOREVER!!!
  20. Oct 27, 2013
    Don't get me wrong... this is a really well made game. Especially considering I write this review after 7 years of its release. It has however few annoying issues. First, the AI of your own troops is basically non-existing. Especially in fast-paced maps controlling every minor detail of your troops becomes simply frustrating. Also, the base building doesn't really fit well to this game.Don't get me wrong... this is a really well made game. Especially considering I write this review after 7 years of its release. It has however few annoying issues. First, the AI of your own troops is basically non-existing. Especially in fast-paced maps controlling every minor detail of your troops becomes simply frustrating. Also, the base building doesn't really fit well to this game. Fixed amount of troops plus triggered reinforcements would have worked better than some artificial troop limit that gets maxed out in worse possible times. Expand
  21. Oct 27, 2013
    I think I might be one of the few people on the planet who doesn't think much of this. The strategy is workable. The campaign has an acceptable storyline, the graphics are ok. Everything about it screams, "yeah, not bad" to me. Ah well.. never mind.
  22. Oct 6, 2013
    The game is fascinating. I don't know if the Stormtrooper in reality, could camouflage like in the game. One can device many tactics for the various units. For instance, camouflage a sniper, and disable free fire. Then camouflage the Stormtrooper unit, or two Stormtrooper units with panzershrecks, and put them in a position, where they are behind the sniper, and have the sniper scout forThe game is fascinating. I don't know if the Stormtrooper in reality, could camouflage like in the game. One can device many tactics for the various units. For instance, camouflage a sniper, and disable free fire. Then camouflage the Stormtrooper unit, or two Stormtrooper units with panzershrecks, and put them in a position, where they are behind the sniper, and have the sniper scout for the Stormtrooper units. The Stormtrooper units will fire the panzershrecks, beyond visual range, and in camouflage. Expand
  23. Sep 10, 2013
    Best Strategy of ALL TIME!!! Bar-none. This is my favorite game of all time. It pains me that they have stopped updating it for it's lower, less-successful, less-enjoyable brother COH 2... This game is awesome and I still play online today Fall 2013. So what are you waiting for! Go buy this game on steam for super cheap and have a ton more fun than COH 2. They got it right the first time
  24. Sep 6, 2013
    Probably the Greatest RTS game of all time. Very addictive and very well made. I have enjoyed many hours of playing this awesome game. The online experience is excellent and the campaign is very good too. 10/10
  25. Aug 31, 2013
    I'm not a great strategy, but loving me is like CoH, beautiful graphics, great video transfer, a long campaign, smart opponents, can only praise is a great word. I recommend to everyone.
  26. Aug 30, 2013
    Graphics are great, maps are outstanding, many excellent features, and the multiplayer is AWESOME. This game COULD have been great all around. But you don't get an A+ for "could have".

Why isn't it great? Because the computer AI is incredibly stupid, regardless of the difficulty, and cheats shamelessly and endlessly to make up for it's stupidity. It also has among THE WORST vehicle pathfinding of any RTS I've played. The AI tactical intelligence and vehicle pathfinding is literally no better than Starcraft 1. Yes, it's seriously that bad.

This tells me that Relic was unwilling to spend the time to develop a genuinely intelligent AI to match the incredibly detailed and complex maps they built, because they didn't see the need to waste the man hours making the Single Player or Co-Op experience as good as the Multiplayer.

Don't you DARE try to enjoy the single player campaign in this game. It's an utter exercise in frustration and misery until you finally realize WHY the enemy can dance through heavy machine gun fire, built multiple tanks at a time, and always has 2x (or 3x, or even 4x) the manpower points as you.

It's because Relic made it that way, because they were too lazy to care.
  27. Aug 7, 2013
    Overrated. This game wants to be a RTS that emphasizes tactics and strategy, but ends up being more of a cleverly disguised spinoff of the Command & Conquer series than anything else. Don't get me wrong there are lots of cool ideas here, but none that really excel in the framework of the game.

You have the ability to station troops behind walls or inside houses for cover; engineers can build sandbags, barbed wired fences or anti-tank blockades, and even plant landmines; you are given a variety of troop types from machine guns, snipers, basic infantry, down toward mortars for long range bombardments; and even an RPG like level up skill system based on experience gained. Heck, the game even adds an overhead tactical view as if to say, "see this is more than your mindless send wave after wave of whatever type of unit you want and auto win." All sounds really cool!

However, it won't be long till you realize all these "strategies" are a waste of time and you'd be better off ignoring them and going back to the standard "build tons of whatever units, group them all together into a giant blob, and just move around the map steamrolling the enemy." The AI is dumb. Your troops are dumb. They require 24/7 babysitting with micromanagement intervention for every fight or they will just keel over and die at the mere sight of the enemy (even if you put your troops in superior cover positions). So attempting to tactically spread troops around the battlefield is not a worthwhile tactic. Attempting to move to a different area of the map away from your main army and build up some defenses with an engineer is not worthwhile. These things will just cause your troops to needlessly be lost and you finding yourself falling behind. The terrible zoomed in camera that makes the game feel like its 640x480 resolution from the 90's is just the extra kick in the balls for strategic gameplay. Company of Heroes manages to somehow actively punish you for attempting to play it tactically and rewards those who who don't.

As for the battles they are cartoonish. Makes Call of Duty look like a hardcore combat sim. Infantry standing 2 feet from eachother unloading hundreds of rounds unable to kill eachother. Flank some enemy infantry and get them surrounded and pinned down. Easy kill right? Nope, the game has an infantile Retreat functionality that magically turns your troops into zombie-like super soldiers with tank like defensive buffs and cheetah like speed. Up they pop and safely run back to base to heal while surviving thousands of bullets being fired at them along the way. Is this a PC RTS or a RTS made for XBOX kiddies? Hard to tell sometimes.

Its not a bad RTS, but its not a great one either. Certainly not the absurd "Greatest RTS of all time" taglines being thrown around. Have you people ever played a RTS before? Half the Age of Empires series, the C&C's, Starcrafts, Warcraft, Total Annihilation, et al all trump this game. Even if we are strictly talking WW2 RTS the less marketed Men Of War series is a more impressive feat.

Final Score:
    6/10. Despite being hilariously cartoonish and immersion breaking for a WW2 title the single player campaign has some pretty good production value. And if tactics, strategy, realism, base building, or the minimum requirement of a functioning brain in a RTS is of no interest to you then the multiplayer is probably right up your alley.
  28. Jul 24, 2013
    This game is soooo good i even made an account on here to write a review on it :D

10/10 and im still playing it in 2013, also i thing this is better than the second
  29. Jul 21, 2013
    Where to even start with this game. This game is just amazing. I can only imagine how much money the developers spent for making this game. It has a physics engine, destructible buildings, amazing sound and graphics, and to even some extent destructible terrain. When it comes to this games, I personally have called it the greatest game of all time. It is really hard to find something wrongWhere to even start with this game. This game is just amazing. I can only imagine how much money the developers spent for making this game. It has a physics engine, destructible buildings, amazing sound and graphics, and to even some extent destructible terrain. When it comes to this games, I personally have called it the greatest game of all time. It is really hard to find something wrong with this game. Expand
  30. Jul 11, 2013
    Best RTS ever!

Best RTS ever!

I started playing COH back in 2006 when it first came out and now in 2013 I'm still playing it. I just finished a skirmish about ten minutes ago and I thought I'd pay this game it's over due respect and take the time to write my user review on Metacritic. The first time I played COH I was at my friend Larry's house checking out the work he did in his living room. In the background I noticed COH on Larry's rig. I saw a Panzer 4 rolling up the road from the south base toward the north base (Larry's base) in the 2 player map Angoville. I asked Larry what it was and he offered me a chance to try it. I sat down and chose the Easy CPU Wehrmacht vs American's (not like I had a choice of different enemies back then, just which side axis vs allies). I got my tail kicked so bad early on that Larry had to jump in and fight his way back in control of the map. Once Larry had it under control he let me take a few Sherman tanks into the Wehrmacht base and finish it off. I was instantly hooked, not only because it was the hardest most complex RTS I'd ever played but because I love to blow up and the graphics were great. I immediately went out and purchased the game.

The campaign storyline was great in the original game and both expansions, it truly makes the player feel that they are in the 40's creeping around in Europe looking for Gerry. Playing as the American's when the game first came out drove me to learn more about WW2 history. I found myself reading articles on the net and watching the history channel every time a WW2 show was on. I started calling my Grandfather over and over again to hear stories about what he did during WW2. He was in the Navy and very proud of his role in the South Pacific; it didn't take much to get the stories out of him. COH created an obsession for teaching myself the history of WW2 that hasn't died since I started playing the game. I'm still totally fascinated with WW2 and I credit the motivation I found to teach myself what I did to this game. It will some day be a cult classic game if it isn't already.

The game play is excellent! The objective is to capture and control as many fuel, manpower and munitions points on the map as you can while kicking the snot out of your enemy; the more points you capture the more manpower, fuel and munitions you earn as income which you can use to purchase units, buildings and upgrades to help your army win the skirmish. Strategy is huge in this aspect of the game, tou can cut off your enemies' supply line by capturing key points thus earning you an income advantage. What parts of your territory you defend and how successfully you defend it and or how you advance and capture is crucial to success.

AI Enemies learn how to exploit your strategy and will try different things to defeat you if you play against the computer over and over again. Every time I reformat my hard drives and reinstall windows there is a noticeable difference in the AI's strategy; it's much easier to defeat the AI at first but over time it learns to put up a better fight and the game becomes harder to win. At the time COH Opposing fronts came out I began playing skirmish matches like I was training to compete vs the Hard AI computer in a gaming tournament. The Hard American AI became so familiar with my strategy during that time that I was actually looking forward to a reformat just to relieve some of the pressure the AI was putting on me.

Your infantry units can take cover behind map details, rock walls, bushes, trees, abandoned or destroyed vehicles are all different examples of cover. Different types of "cover" are rated one of four ways, a green shield is the best cover, a yellow shield is good cover, no shield is no or poor cover, and a red shield is negative cover, the shields will be displayed over your infantry depending on the type of cover or lack there of they are using. Cover greatly effect the survivability of your infantry units. When you make contact with an evenly matched enemy if your troops are in better cover your troops will win the melee. Most infantry units can be upgraded to carry a different weapon or tool. Weapon and tool upgrades are bought with munitions. Some infantry units have the ability to spend munitions to gain an advantage in battle in the form of a grenade or a panzerfaust.

With vehicles where you hit a vehicle can do more or less damage as well as what type of weapon you're using on the vehicle. If you use a machine gun or a rifle on a light vehicle you will do moderate damage, as the vehicles become heavier all the way up to a heavy tank the damage will become less and eventually do nothing when against tanks. Although having a tank is an advantage vs infantry they can be defeated by infantry units if the units are equipped with the tools to deal with the tanks. Most units can be upgraded with munitions.

In conclusion it's a great game buy it if you don't already own it.

1. Company of Heroes should be on the must-play list of every RTS fanatic out there, even those tired of WWII settings. It's just that good. [Oct. 2006, p.70]
  2. This is the finest WWII strategy game I've played. Hell, I'm having real trouble thinking of any strategy game that's this spectacular, this intense, this fun. [Oct 2006, p.70]
    The transformation from a idyllic little town into a heap of crushed buildings and burned out husks of vehicles can be shocking. Seeing and hearing major explosions that cause bodies (and bits of bodies) to fly across the screen along with rubble from a nearby building simply puts you more into the battle than any RTS in memory.