• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Sep 13, 2006
8.9

1. Mar 31, 2012
    Still playing it in 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Sep 20, 2010
    I have played a lot of RTS (Close Combat, Star Craft, Warcraft I-III, World in Conflict, to name a few), Company of Heroes is the most polished and innovative that I have played. As many have noted the graphics in this game are top notch. The frantic and non-stop action of the game requires a great deal of thought rewarding both the quick and the intelligent. If you enjoy RTS's, youI have played a lot of RTS (Close Combat, Star Craft, Warcraft I-III, World in Conflict, to name a few), Company of Heroes is the most polished and innovative that I have played. As many have noted the graphics in this game are top notch. The frantic and non-stop action of the game requires a great deal of thought rewarding both the quick and the intelligent. If you enjoy RTS's, you will love this game. Expand
  3. Feb 16, 2015
    Company of Heroes is one of the best RTS game in the world. its realistic graphics and system is very good until now. i'm still playing it in 2015!!!!!
  4. Apr 7, 2012
    F*CK YOU RELIC!!! I CANT STOP PLAYING THIS GAME!!!!!
    This game is from 2006 yet i dont know a RTS with better graphics.
    Yet i dont know a game with more strategy.
    Yet i dont know a game with more mods.
    Yet i dont know a game with better dynamic combat.
    This is a underrated masterpiece!!
  5. Oct 14, 2011
    This is probably one of the fewest games that defines real-time strategy. This would have been called the Call of Duty RTS game of the century. Excellent graphics, content, story and cinematics make this unique game far better than all the others. Slow gameplay, less FPS usage, less missions, numerous balance issues and big patches are the drawbacks.
  6. Jan 2, 2012
    This is the best RTS I've ever played, and yeah that's counting Starcraft. I've played over 300 of this game with my friends alone. About another 150 hours on my own, if you want a great RTS this is the game to get especially since it's $10 on steam without specials. Personally not a big fan of the expansions though, which are basically required for multiplayer other than with friends.This is the best RTS I've ever played, and yeah that's counting Starcraft. I've played over 300 of this game with my friends alone. About another 150 hours on my own, if you want a great RTS this is the game to get especially since it's $10 on steam without specials. Personally not a big fan of the expansions though, which are basically required for multiplayer other than with friends.

Unit AI, works just fine for those who complain about it are just clicking and forgetting to much. Sure it's not perfect but to give this game a 4 because of it is down right stupid.

I've also noticed this game has a major historical inaccuracy that greatly effects gameplay. (I assume for balance reasons) Historically during WWII the only tanks that could turn in place was the Panther and Tiger tanks (and a few related versions of those tanks), while no other tanks could do this, but in CoH all tanks can do that. Once again I'll assume it's for balance reasons because the allies would lose a lot more often than necessary.
  7. Nov 5, 2011
    best strategy game ever. really good and cant stop playing it. tanks are wonderful and taking enemy machine guns and vehicles are so fantastic. i gave it 10 since its best for me
  8. Jan 16, 2012
    Best RTS game ever. It's really realistic with lots of actions. Controlling tanks and spuads of troops to destroy the enemies. Campaign has good varieties of missions, like defending or attack with paratroopers. Skirmish and multiplayer can give you endless actions. I especially like 4 vs 4, because it requires teamwork and you can rely on your ally to help you. This is a really amazing game.
  9. Feb 25, 2011
    This is my second favorite game of all time, and I'm still playing it long after I gave up my favorite game of all time (Battlefield 2). It's probably one of the most replayable games of all time. It keeps things relatively simple yet provides endless ways to play.
  10. Mar 13, 2011
    Definitely best game ever, much better than so many other RTS as theres much more to think about, much more tactical play, and awesome replayability, Fave game still after over five years
  11. May 15, 2011
    This is the greatest game WW2 RTS ever made. Its graphics and ganmeplay are mind blowing and with updates its even better. I hope this franchise is expanded
  12. Apr 9, 2012
    A jaunt through the multi and even single-player modes of this game will lead you to the inevitable conclusion that this is the greatest and most innovative RTS of all time, no questions asked.

The gameplay is infinitely replayable, terrain truly matters, and the micro is so detailed without ever becoming overwhelming or tedious. This is a game that makes full use of its available resources.

Most of all, mastering this game requires intelligence, not block-headed keyboard mashing. If you still haven't bought this yet, it's on Amazon for $14. Why don't you own it?
  13. Jul 29, 2011
    I have played this extensively and YES the graphics and sound effects are AMAZING, and is mostly good for massive battles and intense firefights. I give it a 10 because I have not once gotten bored of it over the last 4 years I've had it. Great game, AI needs some work, I highly recommend this game. P.S. Anyone who rated this game badly never gave it a BIT of a chance, don't listen to them please.
  14. Sep 2, 2011
    Hell of a game. It's 5 years old, but still very good looking, unrivalled gameplay. Squad based infantry, very tactical because you can cut off important strategy points. Excellent cover system. Great tank mechanics. factions are very good balanced. Mulitplayer still totally vivid. On weekend there are more then 8000 players online. Great for a 5 year old game.
  15. Aug 10, 2012
    love this game. the system works well and the enemies offer a challenge. the games upgrade system feels satisfying and doesn't feel a worthless waste of points. I enjoyed the game from beginning to end and will consider buying the sequel when I've finished the game I'm playing now
  16. Mar 7, 2013
    Never has the RTS genre seen anything like this. Company of Heroes is rightfully, the highest rated game of its kind. And to this day, no other game in the likes holds a candle to its gameplay and tactical immersion. Every battle is something new and exciting, this is one of those games that never gets old.
  17. Sep 12, 2012
    You know what? This is one of those few non-crappy RTSs I ever played. The gameplay is addicting, i barely see any flaws. THQ you did a really good job.
  18. May 21, 2013
    Brilliant, thrilling, exhausting and exhilarating, this must be the finest RTS out there.

Even the slow missions are excellent, and the fast ones, where you can't take your eyes off the screen for a second in case you miss the AI's tricks are quite incredible.
  19. Sep 8, 2012
    "It's like Dawn of War in WW2!" More like improved version of Dawn of War. And there's nothing bad about it right now. Yeah, sometimes it's actually good to keep very similiar gameplay! Take that C- oh wait I hate that game too... The gameplay is very similiar to Dawn of War (Not in a bad way) but the additions improve the gameplay a lot and add more depth. Since there are now three"It's like Dawn of War in WW2!" More like improved version of Dawn of War. And there's nothing bad about it right now. Yeah, sometimes it's actually good to keep very similiar gameplay! Take that C- oh wait I hate that game too... The gameplay is very similiar to Dawn of War (Not in a bad way) but the additions improve the gameplay a lot and add more depth. Since there are now three different kind of control points to capture, it's now more important to decide what you want to capture first. It also adds more dirty things to do like stealing the ammunation points to prevent enemy from spamming artillery strikes. Add the fact that you need to keep control points around it secured to make use of the resources you get, there are a lot more things to do to stop the enemy. The gameplay is the most intense I've encountered in a strategy game. Playing 3vs3 is simply amazing in this game. This game is definently one of the best strategy games released. The gameplay is great and was improved from Dawn of War in right places with very good additions. You DON'T avoid this game. You'll buy this game, play 3vs3 (Or 4vs4 and such), and have a lot of fun. 24/7. Expand
  20. Jul 3, 2013
    Best RTS ever. Great multiplayer play as well as single player skirmish vs. the computer. The support for this game has gone down hill so if you plan on playing online ask the community how the game is being supported on steam(7/13). Worth it just for playing single player if you can get it cheap. There are replays on you tube.
  21. Sep 8, 2011
    Best RTS ever. I've played every RTS on PC from Warcraft 1 to Starcraft 2, the DoW series, and the Total War games. This one shames them in all. In terms of gameplay, graphics, fun, and orginality, nothing has and I seriously doubt anything ever will surpass this game. Smart AI, great graphics and physics, awesome voice acting, endless maps and content. There is literally nothing more youBest RTS ever. I've played every RTS on PC from Warcraft 1 to Starcraft 2, the DoW series, and the Total War games. This one shames them in all. In terms of gameplay, graphics, fun, and orginality, nothing has and I seriously doubt anything ever will surpass this game. Smart AI, great graphics and physics, awesome voice acting, endless maps and content. There is literally nothing more you can ask for. Expand
  22. Jan 22, 2013
    *Best strategy and tactics game ever! I just bought this in Dec 2012 and have logged more than 200 hours on it. Strategy games are my main interest with computer games and I have played some great ones. Warrior Kings Battles had some epic combined-arms tactics with interesting terrain and base building. Starcraft was OK for its time but was very limited and led to mono-tactics. CoH, and*Best strategy and tactics game ever! I just bought this in Dec 2012 and have logged more than 200 hours on it. Strategy games are my main interest with computer games and I have played some great ones. Warrior Kings Battles had some epic combined-arms tactics with interesting terrain and base building. Starcraft was OK for its time but was very limited and led to mono-tactics. CoH, and its fine expansion-packs, have set the bar so high that no game has been able to surpass it. The single player game is a fine tutorial and it has high production values and a logical progression. However, the game was designed around the PvP match, and it is very well thought out. There is an amazing variety of tactical options available with three distinct disciplines to choose from within each faction. (4 factions if you have both the expansions) Even still you will find that every player has a unique style that can be seen in their play. The game is about figuring out what your opponent is up to then foiling their plans. This does not boil down to 'this unit beats that unit' like so many other games. With CoH the player can react on the fly, fake out & misdirect, apply their 'brilliant plan' or devise a counter strategy when needed. Anything you can imagine can be attempted. *Many of the so-called 'bugs' are actually signs of extensive testing and debate by the studio. If your AT gun won't face to counter attack it is because you told him to guard the road. This is the army...units are supposed to follow orders, not decide what they feel like doing. Reacting to their pleas for refacing is your job...it's called micro. *The PvP has very little trash-talking compared to shooter games and there is an active community. Automatches will find you an opponent that is at the same level as you and game-play avoids abusive base-rushes and snowballing. Battles will often go back and forth leaving victory up for grabs until the very end. Solid design. Huge detail. The voice acting is great with accents and period-specific & regionally accurate colloquialisms. (Canadian soldiers with authentic Quebecois and Newfie accents.) Oh, and almost every significant unit type from WW2 is beautifully modeled with the actual abilities associated with them. The statistics for the weapon systems are modeled with amazing accuracy only being altered to maintain balance in the game. ( War is never fair but games should be). Matches can also be recorded and there are many shoutcasts for CoH playbacks with commentary available on the net. Company of Heroes is a must have for all strategy and tactics players. Expand
  23. Apr 4, 2011
    There are many things that are just great about Company of heroes. The AI is polished, The campaign is awesome, the maps are pretty much flawlessly designed, the multiplayer is a ton of fun, there is a nice replay feature, AND SO MUCH MORE!!! If you would like to try a unique RTS, the look no further. You like occupying enemy territory? this will be your fix. Do you want a fun game thatThere are many things that are just great about Company of heroes. The AI is polished, The campaign is awesome, the maps are pretty much flawlessly designed, the multiplayer is a ton of fun, there is a nice replay feature, AND SO MUCH MORE!!! If you would like to try a unique RTS, the look no further. You like occupying enemy territory? this will be your fix. Do you want a fun game that is going to last a long time? Then buy this game. This game is a MUST BUY!!! If you would like to check out more about this, then go to wikepedia. I would give this thing a 10 out of 5. This thing is so good, it is tied right up there for one of the best RTS/pc exclusive/game of ALL TIME!!! Give yourself a good thing, and make this your next purchase/gift. Expand
  24. Jul 21, 2012
    One of my favorite games of all time and the only RTS I've ever really been able to get into. It's got the mechanics of StarCraft with a WW2 setting and a much slower pace. There is an emphasis on micromanagement because your units are expensive and thus limited. This serves to make each battle realistic. Each faction is unique - they don't just have different units, they playOne of my favorite games of all time and the only RTS I've ever really been able to get into. It's got the mechanics of StarCraft with a WW2 setting and a much slower pace. There is an emphasis on micromanagement because your units are expensive and thus limited. This serves to make each battle realistic. Each faction is unique - they don't just have different units, they play differently. The Wehrmacht and Americans play differently from the Panzer Elite and British. The different kinds of units are very diverse. You can build sandbags, lay barbed wire, tank traps, mines, upgrade squads and vehicles. By the end of a match you won't recognize the environment because of the destruction. You can choose doctrines, upgrades. There's infantry, light vehicles, light tanks, heavy tanks, artillery, anti-tank guns. It's especially addicting if you're a WW2 buff. The game runs decently but has vsync enabled by default (this can be forced off) which causes some input lag. Also it lacks an AA option but this also can be forced on if you have an Nvidia GPU (FXAA). The sound in this game is phenomenal. You can really feel the thump of shells firing and units exploding; the environmental reverb is amazing. Each rifle, machine gun, and artillery piece sounds unique. The campaign is kind of boring but who cares... 10/10. Truly a masterpiece. Expand
  25. Feb 24, 2014
    Amazing game that raised the bar for RTS. Great balance for multilayer with fun maps and multiple game modes one of which is a MOBA with WWII tanks! Sega will not update the matchmaking system which is sad because this game has better balance than CoH2.
  26. Oct 4, 2011
    Definitely one of my favorite RTS games.
    The Company of Heroes series offers many great campaigns to enjoy, different factions and a true to history feeling.
    The Squad-based strategies are easy to get into yet are challenging to use correctly. Upgrading and equipping your troops with specialised weapons is an essential part of the game, and the balance is nicely achieved; you can counter
    Definitely one of my favorite RTS games.
    Upgrading and equipping your troops with specialised weapons is an essential part of the game, and the balance is nicely achieved; you can counter the biggest tank rushes if you use the right units, use cover or hide in buildings.

Great franchise, amazing value!
  27. Feb 25, 2014
    PRO's:

Gorgeous visuals with a competent game engine. A gorgeous soundtrack and brilliant sound design. A massive modding community that is still making original content for a game close to 8 years since its release. Varied factions that all play in remarkably different ways. Hundreds of strategies, different methods of play, a still active multiplayer community. The sequel drew
    PRO's:

Gorgeous visuals with a competent game engine.
    A gorgeous soundtrack and brilliant sound design.
    Varied factions that all play in remarkably different ways.
    The sequel drew back in old players after everyone realized how mediocre it was.
    Its Warhammer 40K on steroids and who doesn't like Warhammer?

CON's:

Their have been some pretty mind numbingly stupid patches made for the expansion.
    The expansions were not very good compared to the original.
    Some things are mostly fixed, but a lot is still broken since the attempt years ago was made to balance all the factions pretty much at once.
    Its starting to look a little long in the tooth visually.
    The multiplayer community is full of some pretty huge ego maniacal fellas that don't play nice with newer players.
    The automatches can be a dangerous breeding ground for contempt amongst those who are new to the game.
    The modding communities are always heading for different camps, with the intent of making the game more "realistic" or more "balanced," but they never really settle on more "fun."
    Some of the concepts are so far removed from reality that some people might prefer entirely different games such as the "Men of War" games.
    Multiple scathing and somewhat stupid historical inaccuracies that should've never been in the game.
    Tank battles are more arcade-like than any tank battles from actual reality.
    If you were content enough with Warhammer 40K and those expansions- you may have already played this game for the most part- only without the World War II aesthetic or theme.
  28. May 23, 2011
    Possible the best RTS ever made! 5 Years old and the GFX are still amazing compared to most other RTS games. Just wow, if you havent tryed it your missing out!
  29. Jul 21, 2011
    Best RTS ever. Single player campaign is excellent, but the game shines most for 1V1, 2V2. Deep tactical macro and micro. Very strategic, requiring careful planning of attacks. Flanking, using cover, machine guns supressing fire, snipers, tech tree from basic troops, advanced troops, medium vechicles and heavy tanks.

After so many years, there is no other RTS that offers better

After so many years, there is no other RTS that offers better gameplay. Highly recommended.
  30. Aug 24, 2011
    CoH is not for everyone, but overall, its an amazing experience. the sheer level of realism is impressive, and the complexity is quite deep, but not so deep that it gets in the way of the gameplay. however that being said, the complexity of the game would turn off many people. to truely be able to be good at this game, you need to be very good at micromanaging, which im not particularlyCoH is not for everyone, but overall, its an amazing experience. the sheer level of realism is impressive, and the complexity is quite deep, but not so deep that it gets in the way of the gameplay. however that being said, the complexity of the game would turn off many people. to truely be able to be good at this game, you need to be very good at micromanaging, which im not particularly very good at. the level of complexity actually gets to the point where you have to actually tell every tank exactly which way to face, since their armor varies depending on which side they get shot... its not a perfect game by any means, but it sure is a great one. Expand

1. Company of Heroes should be on the must-play list of every RTS fanatic out there, even those tired of WWII settings. It's just that good. [Oct. 2006, p.70]
  2. This is the finest WWII strategy game I've played. Hell, I'm having real trouble thinking of any strategy game that's this spectacular, this intense, this fun. [Oct 2006, p.70]
    The transformation from a idyllic little town into a heap of crushed buildings and burned out husks of vehicles can be shocking. Seeing and hearing major explosions that cause bodies (and bits of bodies) to fly across the screen along with rubble from a nearby building simply puts you more into the battle than any RTS in memory.