Condemned: Criminal Origins PC

7.9

1. Dec 13, 2016
    A great waste. It starts great, but then it becomes boring and repetitive.

It's a shame because the atmosphere and the ideas are good, but everything is wasted. During the first third of the game, there is just no plot; the main character just runs behind the enemy. Why do forensics if the enemy is 5 meters from you!? For the entire game you kill heaps of hobo-zombies The hob-ies
    A great waste. It starts great, but then it becomes boring and repetitive.

For the entire game you kill heaps of hobo-zombies
    The hob-ies are just annoying; they all feel the same, and just can just kill them by rage-clicking (at least, on "normal" level), even without blocking. Again, a wasted idea.

The forensic tools are again a great idea, which is again wasted. They're essentially used as mini-puzzles sprinkled though the game. They're not integrated in the plot or in the game in general; they're isolated. But wait, they're not puzzles either, as they're just trivial.

Birds and pieces of metal are probably remains of a scraped idea. They're completely useless.

All in all, it feels like a team of very talented people, lead with a very bland and clueless direction.
    Shame. This could have been a great game in the hands of a good lead.
  2. Sep 30, 2015
    Condemned: Criminal Origins is a creepy game, at times it can be absolutely terrifying, yet mostly...because of a rather bland setting...it can come off as rather dull. This game was so great, the amazing use of Melee weapons opposed to fire arms was a nice change of pace. Also the creepy setting and drugged out psychos instead of zombies or over creepy ghouls was also nice. The biggestCondemned: Criminal Origins is a creepy game, at times it can be absolutely terrifying, yet mostly...because of a rather bland setting...it can come off as rather dull. This game was so great, the amazing use of Melee weapons opposed to fire arms was a nice change of pace. Also the creepy setting and drugged out psychos instead of zombies or over creepy ghouls was also nice. The biggest flaws with this game is basically just the rather bland environments and the repetitive nature of the narrative. Its a fun game but very flawed, I recommend buying it at sale price. Expand
  3. Jan 11, 2015
    Truth be told: i'm a real chicken when it comes to horror games, even games that have a creepy atmosphere.
    But this game seems to make me cringe more often than sweat so i guess that's a good thing.
    Without more chatter let's talk more about this game. To begin with, this is one of those shooters that came just a little while before the fps-ify-everything era (from 2007-2009) which is
    Without more chatter let's talk more about this game.

To begin with, this is one of those shooters that came just a little while before the fps-ify-everything era (from 2007-2009) which is ALSO a good thing.
    There isn't much to say about this game other than that it's a "kind of" atmospheric in the creepy sense and the shooting is satisfying at times. But what gets me glued to this game is the story, it gets more intersting as you go with just a simple murder to the mystery of.... well... i won't spoil anything :]

Here are the pro's and con's of the day, you're welcome.

Pros:

1) The game manages to be interesting with it's storyline and quite scary at times

Cons:

1) To this day, the graphics are laughable

I know, there isn't really much to be said, there are minor things that i could've wrote down but those things can't really change the game's rating by that much.

In other words this game gets the score: "I can dig it"
  4. Nov 3, 2014
    I love this game, it have a good combat, the story is perfect, the tension and jump scares never ends, and you never know what is going on in this game.
  5. Oct 6, 2014
    okay...interesting..this is horror and action game
    but hard....i will buy condemned 2
    i don't have xbox 360 :D kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
  6. Feb 2, 2014
    The biggest problem i had was the stiff gameplay. Like seriously Monolith you produce an masterpieces like F.E.A.R and Blood and after them this? This could have been an better game but the slow and broken movement simply robs the rating. And im quite sure it wasnt the same engine they used in F:E.A.R...
  7. Dec 23, 2013
    the mannequin level... i remember beating this game twice and it still gave me the creeps.

game seems slow, unresponding and somewhat lacking coherence but the atmosphere it has... except silent hill 2 and 3, this maybe the only game that really had me on the edge without resorting to cheap scare tactics like todays most of the "horror games" such as slender man, amnesia etc etc..
  8. Jul 22, 2013
    The basic plot was good. I really enjoyed this game, though I had to quit it few times and I almost broke one of my wireless keyboards :D
    What I did not like:
    What I did not like:
    1. You can equip only 1 weapon at a time... Why the logical f*ck I can't carry a pistol in my pocket, while keeping a shotgun in my hands????? Ok, for thrill, for tactics. LOL, There should've been even less shooting weapons, but keeping the option to carry 2 at a time...
    2. The ending. For me, it pretty much sounds & looks like the developers wanted to continue it, though they obviously never did.
    3. "Boss"-fights. During these fights, you can't really interact with the environment. You have no time, and you can't use tricks--- just the same method you use against every other opponent.
    In spite of the negatives, I really enjoyed it (except the "pool"-scene, which I managed to re-try about 25 times, until I realized there are 2 machine guns at the left side and the farest end of the pool), as the game really tries to keep the thrill all the time and it mostly work!
    I didn't tell about graphics. It's an already old game and graphics are so much subjective. I say the graphics are good for this kind of game!
  9. Dec 18, 2012
    Damn it. Just when I thought I was playing an actual honest-to-goodness "survival horror" game that didn't involves zombies or mutants, CCO turns into a monotonous, limited FPS. It's creepy as all hell with its genuine look and feel. It has an engaging story with some good voice-over work. The idea of using items around you as weapons also stands out along with a few firearms here andDamn it. Just when I thought I was playing an actual honest-to-goodness "survival horror" game that didn't involves zombies or mutants, CCO turns into a monotonous, limited FPS. It's creepy as all hell with its genuine look and feel. It has an engaging story with some good voice-over work. The idea of using items around you as weapons also stands out along with a few firearms here and there. The detective tools are interesting and are used to further the story. Saves are automatic as well as manual. But with all that it still fails t be a realistic and consistent game. The engine suffers from a lack of direction. The player moves well but can't engage all items that are in his perspective - only ones that are pertinent to the storyline and "collectables" giving the gameplay a linear feeling. The player, according to the story, has physical attributes that are stronger and more resilient than normal humans yet suffer the same damage from one weapon that another stronger one. He also doesn't stay in shape since sprinting a few yards causes him to spend his energy quickly. There are no upgrades whatsoever for the player. There are areas that can't be accessed since the character can't duck/crouch nor can he climb anything since he can't jump. There are only two methods of attack: use and kick. The use function uses the weapon in hand. The kick is just that: a kick. Well, it's a kick that looks more like a third arm coming out of his bellybutton. There are what I call "finishing" moves like punch, ram and slam but why aren't these available before the finish? The weapons are a whole other story. The melee weapons are in clear view and can be picked up. Well, most of the time. Some are part of the environment like pipes mostly but can't be picked up. Firearms are another hassle. You pick up a weapon use up the ammo then can be used as a melee weapon, Fine, but why does a piece of metal break? Worse yet, if you walk over another of the same weapon you can't take the ammo from it. It's frustrating that you can not add ammunition to the weapon you're carrying. Back to what's around: The player can't pick up any items in the way but can be kicked aside awkwardly. There is very little player interaction with the environment and it limits the immersion of the reality. Another drawback is that areas that you just walked out of are cut off by closed doors for no reason. Lastly, cut scenes cannot be forwarded or cut so that's yet another annoyance. It's a damn shame that this could've been an excellent title. It could've been a true original experience with grit and grime but it suffers from lazy programming and narrow-minded common gameplay. What a waste... Expand
  10. MattMckerroll
    May 21, 2009
    like ppl have said before the engine doesnt let this game reach its full potential (which mind you STILL isnt that good) . the scares as mentioned before are cheap, copied from FEAR and lame, in some of the reviews they said "Even the hardened veterans of the world's best horror games will find this to be a fine addition to their collection" i coulndt DISagree more. this game was notlike ppl have said before the engine doesnt let this game reach its full potential (which mind you STILL isnt that good) . the scares as mentioned before are cheap, copied from FEAR and lame, in some of the reviews they said "Even the hardened veterans of the world's best horror games will find this to be a fine addition to their collection" i coulndt DISagree more. this game was not scary. PERIOD. it wasnt scary mostly because there were no reasons to BE scared, in FEAR for example u knew that it was alma who did the crazy rediculous things, and were afraid to die thus SCARY. DOOM3, stuff jumped out at u hurting u and u lost health, also stuff could be hiding NEWHERE in the dark there and could attack you from a distance thus SCARY. C:CO on the other hand had no reasson for the scares juts O LOOK SOMETHING MOVED BY ITSELF, why NO IDEA, but it wont hurt me cuz thats bad game design.
    also thats another thing that doesnt get mentioned like EVER. is the actual DESIGN of the game (which is bad VERY BAD) u cant run for more than 15ft (hes a cop c'mon, not some 400lb chain smoking obese couch potato) also the game feels very "disconnected" like there are levels and the game even says LEVEL COMPLETE or chapter finished w/e. this breaks the immersion of the game also what about the collecting of dead birds and metal pieces and the ON TVs just lame and campy. and of course combat = bad i wont go into detail mostly cuz many ppl already have. this next part made me brake my mouse: theres a part in the game (early on i think) you climb over some thing and then u get hit by a bad guy and fall down the escalater this is unavoidable, the worst part is that u ACTUALLY take damage from this so when i got to this part i had little health and DIED every time i though to myself that "theres no way the devs would do that, of course they thot of THIS problem no?" so i conuted to do that part 10-12 times and then FINALLY re-did the entire level, NOT FUN. all in all BAD GAME, i dare any one to contest this, theres no way after REALLY looking into this game ppl think its still fun. the combat's not even satisfying which is like 80% of a game, having satisfyying, good gameplay.
  11. asasasasdfxdvxvd
    Dec 16, 2008
    Just like F.E.A.R the novelty of this game wears off really fast, except it's even more confusing than F.E.A.R ever was. For 3/4s of the game I couldn't understand what was wrong with the entire town. Why where they all beating each other to a pulp? Unfortunately instead of having somebody asking in the beginning of the game "what's wrong with everybody" or someone sayingJust like F.E.A.R the novelty of this game wears off really fast, except it's even more confusing than F.E.A.R ever was. For 3/4s of the game I couldn't understand what was wrong with the entire town. Why where they all beating each other to a pulp? Unfortunately instead of having somebody asking in the beginning of the game "what's wrong with everybody" or someone saying "there's unexplainable surge of violence amongst the civilian population in this area," they leave any such dialogue towards the end of the game. This makes it seem that such violence is completely normal, as none of the characters even mention it, with all dialogue focusing on catching a serial killer instead expressing concern for a town which literally seems to be ripping itself apart.
    The main character is extremely cliche - the old story about a cop who has been framed for murders he never committed. This barely serves any purpose in the game, as you very rarely encounter police officers, and when you do they're more focusing on riot control than capturing you. Otherwise you're investigating crime scenes just as you would be if you were still on the force.
    While its a struggle for the protagonist to get from area to area, other characters get around relatively easily rarely facing danger when they meet you in the streets just before or after you've just smashed some addicts heads in with a sledgehammer.

The 'one weapon system' is interesting, but stupid. Why is it so difficult for the protagonist to put a pistol in his belt so that he can use it when he needs it? And how does his forensic equipment survive the many beatings that Agent Ethan Thomas receives. Then there's all those stupid dead birds that you can collect around the different levels. It's seriously arcadey and ruins any atmosphere when you're using your forensic equipment to locate these tokens.
    Overall this game is very repetetive and the locations dead boring. It's looks very much like the game designers ripped off the levels from F.E.A.R, and replaced gun fights with melee fighting. It looks like alot of Condemned's potential was realized in its sequel, which unfortunately is unavaible to PC.
  12. LeeWolfgang
    Oct 2, 2008
    I have no damn clue why F.E.A.R. gets all this love from so many people when there's this awesome game to be proud of. Condemned: Criminal Origins, is the scariest game anyone will ever play. Unlike in any other horror game, you actually have to fight for your life instead of experience second-long hallucinations of random dead things. It's not actually scary to me, butI have no damn clue why F.E.A.R. gets all this love from so many people when there's this awesome game to be proud of. Condemned: Criminal Origins, is the scariest game anyone will ever play. Unlike in any other horror game, you actually have to fight for your life instead of experience second-long hallucinations of random dead things. It's not actually scary to me, but that's just because I'm kind of stone-nerved.
    Many people say there isn't much story involved. There's a huge story involved, really. It's just at the end then it gets weird. In the loading screens, it gave a description of why people were brain hemorrhaging and become mentally ill. But then at the end you fight a ninja with metal pegs in his body and then the killing stops. That's the only really pointless thing about the story.
    Regardless of whether or not someone thinks of the story, the realistic gameplay, great sound, and effects make up for that and the fact that it's based on that abysmal Lithtech engine.
    The hallucinations the player experiences are done really well and show how he is undergoing brain hemorrhaging as well and is able to fight it off, though it takes over in some places to hype you up.
    It suffers some plot holes (I'll let you use my flashlight while yours is broken and walk around in the dark, Agent Thomas), but they're few and far between.
    The best implementation in this game, though, is that it's almost entirely based on melee combat. And that's done very well.
    The texturing is kind of low-resolution but the excellent effects and everything else make up for it. It's kind of slow, hence it's on an awful engine (though it's thoroughly improved), but everything is realistic as can be expected from a console launch title port.
  13. TiagoM.
    May 27, 2006
    . It´s violent in a way that no other game was before.Dark raw and evil-scared me a lot. And the sound it makes when your head gets beated by a pipe is amazing and extremely real. The use of soft shadows is very good. FLAW: more questions than answers at the ending.
  14. JonathanB.
    May 19, 2006
    An exciting, dark and violent melee action game that feels very much like commiting murder, over and over and over again. Pretty grim.
  15. Joe
    May 4, 2006
    The whole game engine is awkward and practically on rails...you can't crouch or even jump(!) unless the game allows it at certain points (I know FPS veterans won't believe that one - try the demo and see). You can be carrying around an FBI lab's worth of analysis equipment (through devastated slums, no less) but you can't pick up health packs or hold more than one The whole game engine is awkward and practically on rails...you can't crouch or even jump(!) unless the game allows it at certain points (I know FPS veterans won't believe that one - try the demo and see). You can be carrying around an FBI lab's worth of analysis equipment (through devastated slums, no less) but you can't pick up health packs or hold more than one weapon at a time. The whole game is FILLED with the same kind of tired scare & "unreality" nonsense that F.E.A.R. already overdid...endless jump-scares from the dark, distant enemies who you can just glimpse but do nothing about as they scurry around a corner, meaningless "craziness" (like having reality shift on you for no reason, being suddenly surrounded by mannequins with no explanation, etc.) and so on. And what is probably the biggest disappointment considering the build-up, Condemned has an absolutely awful game backstory...one of the worst in recent memory. Why? Because no questions are even answered at the end...why does the protagonist pick up birds and metal pieces to begin with? Why has the whole world seemingly gone homicidally insane? Why are the birds dying? Why does reality shift so often for the protagonist and what does it mean? Is he insane? Why about all his so-called special abilities that the authorities are so interested in? Who/What is the final enemy? Etc.! Basically NONE of these very basic questions are answered...the game just opens up pandoras boxes of intruiging plot elements, then just...ends, with no plausible explanation for any of it and very few loosed ends tied. And I haven't mentioned the god-awful performance (which isn't worth it, if the game's visuals are anything to go by since most of it is in the dark). The only reason this game gets 4 at all, is because the hand-to-hand combat is exceptionally well implemented...revolutionary in fact. But other than that, this is an unbelievably overrated one-trick pony, except the developers forgot that the one trick has already been played out ad nauseum, and better, by the likes of F.E.A.R. and Doom 3. Save your money and time...I really regret wasting both of mine on this game. Expand
  16. MohammedN.
    Apr 21, 2006
    A great hand-to-hand action game from Sega. Pity the game is short and the replay value is weak.
  17. E.e.
    Apr 8, 2006
    The controls are terrible and the engine makes you feel like you're moving underwater. The melee combat is not fun, and there's lots of that. I think investigating the crime scenes, while not great, is a whole lot more fun than the rest of the action.

1. This first-person action game hits you like a sledgehammer with its astounding, stunningly creepy presentation, but it sacrifices opportunities for more shocks and surprises by settling for repetition.
    Condemned: Criminal Origins isn't a long game and it only has one game mode, but it's an unforgettable experience while it lasts.
  3. CCO has all of the gameplay, story, visuals and atmosphere that you could possibly want in a mystery game and I think does them all to a proverbial "t".