Conquest of Elysium 3 PC

7.2

1. Jun 9, 2012
    What a great rough diamond. I love playing around with the various, very different classes. The mythologies are mold-breaking, and the different sides all play very very differently. This is one that keeps you playing for a long time, great bargain. With a bit more work on graphics, balance, and interface this could be turned from very good to great. (The random wandering enemies can get aWhat a great rough diamond. I love playing around with the various, very different classes. The mythologies are mold-breaking, and the different sides all play very very differently. This is one that keeps you playing for a long time, great bargain. With a bit more work on graphics, balance, and interface this could be turned from very good to great. (The random wandering enemies can get a bit tiresome, and AI is not bad but tends to put itself too much in harm's way and not defend against wandering foes, and the sides could all use just a few more options.) I've definitely gotten my money's worth here, and I expect to come back frequently to this one. Expand
  2. Apr 24, 2012
    Having had about two months to play the game and create scenarios, I figured it was time to give my review. The first thing I want to remark upon: the devs (Illwinter) are absolutely committed to listening to the community, providing updates, and improving an already excellent game. This is the reason I even bought the game in the first place (as I noticed this commitment in Dominions 3,Having had about two months to play the game and create scenarios, I figured it was time to give my review. The first thing I want to remark upon: the devs (Illwinter) are absolutely committed to listening to the community, providing updates, and improving an already excellent game. This is the reason I even bought the game in the first place (as I noticed this commitment in Dominions 3, another title by Illwinter). I mention this because they have a reputation for continuing to improve their games long after release dates, so a lot of what I talk about here might be improved (more likely the AI than anything if I were to guess).

So the question of the hour is do I have fun and enjoy the game? The answer is sometimes. Whenever I am not enjoying the game, it is when I am playing on too large of a map or fighting overly difficult (resource bonus) or weak AI. I did not have fun with some games where I played against AI with a resource bonus because the battles took forever and were "stack battles" (which I define as lengthy battles in which the outcome is based on who has more troops) or games where the AI could have squashed me, but didn't. Don't get me wrong, the AI can be quite smart and I lose to it quite a bit, but that highly depends on the map size, difficulty setting, alliances, and classes that are playing. I agree with robc04 that stalemates can drag on too long.

The pros: Almost all classes are fun to play (the Senator is probably my least favorite), the randomness is such that you never know what to expect as you explore, multiplayer is awesome (unless your opponents are slow turn takers), the music is fantastic, the graphics are appealing (that's highly opinionated as many would say they aren't), the devs are wonderful as is the growing community, the manual explains the game well, and as of writing there are tons of modding commands being added so that the community can add classes and make scenarios for the game. Another plus is that the game can take as long as you want it to based on settings (so you can have a coffee-break game if you want it or something more involved). Cons: Defender always has initiative in attacking. I wish that the order of first attacker was determined by an initiative roll (that could be affected perhaps by certain spells or character traits) because this could help avoid some stack battles or result in more interesting risk-taking. Somewhat bland battle screen (just a black background screen), though I personally can't think of a background that would look good and make troops visible. Battle sounds could use an update. The AI needs some more work because it is rather predictable in its prioritizing taking resources. Sometimes chasing independents around your home base is irritating (though this can be modded out). Transferring units can be a pain when you are trying to split armies (especially in a multiplayer game where you are trying to take turns quickly). I have heard some accusations by other reviewers that the game doesn't involve strategy because it is so random (or that you simply need more troops to be the winner). I disagree because there are cases of deciding where to explore, how to balance offense and defense (protecting the citadel while exploring abroad), and how aggressively you can expand without losing. Also, as a druid you might do a summoning and end up with rabbits. Cute, right? But not very helpful. Actually, if you were sieging a castle or fighting a mage that cast spells on random units, they would come in handy because, as extra troops, they can take catapult hits that might take out your valuable Druid. Another example of strategy is how to break up your armies. If you have one massive army, it is going to move slowly, but be very powerful. Moving slow isn't a good idea when your opponent has small forces swarming around and grabbing resources or slipping behind your lines. I hope these two small examples demonstrate that there is quite a bit of strategy to the game.

The best way to determine if you like the game is to give the demo a shot (you can get the standalone here: http://www.desura.com/games/conquest-of-elysium-3). Do make sure to read the manual as you go along as they will help a lot, which can be found here in PDF form (http://www.illwinter.com/coe3/index.html).

As a final note, I have heard that this game emphasizes singleplayer, but I think that if you already own this game, you owe it to yourself to play multiplayer. It's easy to get started and having a human opponent changes a lot of your tactics and how you play. Also, having a co-op match vs. the AI can result in a lot of fun as well.
  3. Oct 1, 2013
    Fantastic Area Control Tactical RPG game in the vein of Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Graphics are from a far earlier era. Many game mechanics will seem unfamiliar at first. Provides an amusing challenge if you like roam around summoning magic-users to head up armies of strange creatures.
  4. May 24, 2012
    Great game. Random worlds and very different character classes give great replayability. You should try out Dominions 3 too which is the more serious strategy game.
  5. Dec 18, 2013
    If you want Nethack as a strategy look no further. This is just as absurdly difficult and in depth. It has an excellent level of replayability and good multiplayer functionality. I don't think it's for everyone however.
  6. Apr 1, 2013
    Another great Illwinter game. Another one that will last years on my machine.
    Also another that will get hard reviews because it takes quite awhile to see the full joy in the game.
    Another great Illwinter game. Another one that will last years on my machine.

TIP: wandering dwarfs like mines, wandering troops or brigands attack towns, wandering animals like ancient forests. Wandering animals dont attack towns but they can wander into them. So dont leave your home town without first checking out the random sizes of groups in the area, and leave enough troops behind accordingly.

Also before deciding about the game be sure to play Team mode. Even allying with the AI can be a great game. Dont choose nations that want the same resources or the AI will steal from you (like a player). Choose different resource needs and you can work off of each other quite nicely (even doing things in each others towns)

I did rate it less than fantastic though because the multiplayer kindof sucks. But their other game Dominions 3 is great for MP and sucks for solo, this is the reverse. Nice going Illwinter.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. May 30, 2012
    A strangely serene and evocative game, lying somewhere between strategy and chaos. For the resourceful and imaginative player. [June 2012, p.54]
  2. Feb 23, 2012
    I don't mind in the least the game's modest production values, but I do wish that Illwinter was more hip to certain modern game design principles, like how to play us out of a game.