7.7

1. Nov 15, 2013
    Great Game! Few in game bugs. Major problem bad controller support for Logitech F310 in reg Xbox mode.. Lame.

I personally been waiting for this title since it was up for vote on Steam's Green Light. The game from start to finish pulled me along. I wanted to see what was next. Which I find keeps the game from getting boring. The world was beautiful. Side puzzles were a nice touch. Voice acting was great! Music Score was wonderful. With all that said! I did notice couple bugs. One that even caused me to restart from a previous save. Which didn't cause that much time loss. When you figure the time I spent on the game and time I had to deal with bugs. It was very minimal. Major problem I ran into was using my controller. I have a Logitech F310. All the controls were messed up. Movement Keys wouldn't work. Buttons were off by 1. Says hit Y you have to hit B. Hit A you need to hit X. Movement with the joystick forward and back were reversed. Switched the controller to X box mode. Lettered keys worked right but regular movement keys were not working. Only the Joystick controls. Which were working normally. Its disappointing to anyone who plays this game with a controller and not have it to work right. Other steam games I have played that had full controller support worked 100% with this controller. Hopefully they will fix the issue and make this a truly Full Controller support game. Until then I will have to knock off a few points for it. I would be interested in seeing Compulsion Games next Title. Hopefully they take notes and learn from Contrast so not to repeat the problems.
  2. Nov 15, 2013
    "Contrast" mixes unusual, original elements in the gameplay. The player will be surprised by that; It's short duration is the bigger weak point, however it's a pleasure to play. VIRTUALINN.IT
  3. Nov 15, 2013
    The game is a beautiful experience with a fantastic art direction and some fantastic areas of which the puzzles are built around. It is a flawed game though with a checkpoint system and no freedom to save where you wish, a somewhat lukewarm main protagonist in the little girl, the minor bugs and slightly disappointing controls. However with the imaginative puzzle design, imaginative worldsThe game is a beautiful experience with a fantastic art direction and some fantastic areas of which the puzzles are built around. It is a flawed game though with a checkpoint system and no freedom to save where you wish, a somewhat lukewarm main protagonist in the little girl, the minor bugs and slightly disappointing controls. However with the imaginative puzzle design, imaginative worlds and incredibly 'high' highs I can't help but recommend this game to anyone who looks at the screenshots and thinks 'this looks' cool, it's short though at 3 hours so and maybe an hour more at most if you're looking for collectables. Expand
  4. Dec 21, 2013
    This game got my attention during a Steam sale.

It is hard to explain what I like and dislike about this game without spoiling your personal experience exploring this world. It is an interesting combination of the 3D and 2D worlds. The story is very surprising and well embedded into the mysterious world you are about to discover, but at some point you might miss the motivation of your
    This game got my attention during a Steam sale.

The story is very surprising and well embedded into the mysterious world you are about to discover, but at some point you might miss the motivation of your character ("Dawn") to follow the little girl "Didi" around and do anything she tells you to, wondering if you end up in some maniac world domination plan okay, scratch that....

The game is about 4 hours nice, artistic and sometimes innovative gameplay. Controls sometimes feel half-baked, making some puzzles harder than they need to be (like you know what to do but you keep falling of the edge over and over again).

If it wasn't for the cheaper steam sale, this story had been to short for the regular 15€.
  5. Nov 15, 2013
    Contrast is a unique experience. Even though its not the most lengthy and impressive game out there it managed to grab my attention for its whole duration. Its an interesting concept that is fairly priced and executed. Its clumsy character models is the only thing that stands out in a negative way. Besides that, it introduces new gameplay and puzzle elements and its a game worth playing.
  6. Nov 15, 2013
    This game was an excellent puzzle/platformer with some very creative puzzles and very fun platforming sections. It asked the player to look at and use their environment in interesting ways and did not baby the player with excessive hints. The story element were quite good and the voice acting was also of a high quality. That being said this was by no means a perfect game. When I wasThis game was an excellent puzzle/platformer with some very creative puzzles and very fun platforming sections. It asked the player to look at and use their environment in interesting ways and did not baby the player with excessive hints. The story element were quite good and the voice acting was also of a high quality. That being said this was by no means a perfect game. When I was trying to figure out a couple puzzles I managed to get myself stuck completely in the environment by trying some odd things and the rest of the physics in general could be kind of shaky. The game needs a bit more bug fixing as one time when I messed up a box puzzle and fell to my doom along with the box, said box failed to respawn and I had to restart the chapter. The biggest problem with the game is that it is far far too short. While the story definitely feels complete and gives a good feel of closure while answer most of the questions the game presents (with the rest being answered by the collection items), all the characters could have been better fleshed out and the themes could have been explored deeper without making the game drag as the pacing of gameplay to story was top notch. Despite all the flaws of the game I still think it was great fun and worth a play through for most people. I hope to see more from Compulsion and hope that they build on what made this game good and give a more full experience next time. Overall I would give this game an 8.5 but metacritic won't let me so I will bump it to 9. Expand
  7. Nov 16, 2013
    I was quite enjoying the game for the first 30 minutes until I shifted somewhere I apparently wasn't supposed to and got stuck literally in the middle of a wall. After recovering from save the game forgot to give me back the "luminaries" I collected to the point making progress impossible.
    What is it with game companies lately? I understand its a small independent developer and cannot afford a proper QA department but just get one of your children to play through and get rid of at least the obvious critical bugs before releasing.
  8. Nov 17, 2013
    Waited 2 years for this game and i loved playing it. Soundtrack is great. Hope there will be a DLC available soon, cause the game has only stunning 5 hours of playtime.
  9. Nov 18, 2013
    Worth playing, but flawed. Unfulfilled potential.

The atmosphere and storyline are the best part of the experience. While the storyline is compelling, it ultimately proves unsatisfying as the game simply ends without really developing some of the really cool aspects of the game world and the characters. The set-up promises much more than the game ultimately delivers The stylized
    Worth playing, but flawed. Unfulfilled potential.

The stylized graphics are another strong point. The art feels really fresh and interesting. I really wanted to see more of this world. The game has impressive draw distance and feels solid. Framerates are fairly consistent, but do drop occasionally.

Still, the game suffers from a number of technical glitches. Collision detection is simply not finished in this game. Picking up and dropping boxes proves and inconsistent and frustrating exercise, and shifting in and out of the shadow world often gives unexpected results. Consistent with this, there are a number of game-breaking bugs. I had to deliberately leave the game and restart because obvious bugs made it impossible to continue. It's a testament to how compelling the atmosphere and storyline are that I carried on: I usually do not.

The puzzles are solid if lacking in variety. I wouldn't say the puzzles were overly challenging, but the game does little to introduce you to certain key concepts relating to the interoperation of the real and shadow worlds that are critical to solving a few of the games later puzzles. While I was interested enough to try a number of things, many folks will feel a little lost and lacking direction at some of the puzzles.

What's most disappointing about this is what it could have been. If only the story, characters, and world were more fully developed. I can't help but think this game was pushed out the door and not truly finished.

Since many PS+ players will have the opportunity to play this for free, I'd definitely recommend checking this out.
  10. Nov 17, 2013
    Contrast is a very unique game. While it did get a bit glitchy at times when moving the boxes or getting stuck on something at random. It's a really great game, the story with Didi and her parents really gets you into the world of Contrast. While it's a short game, you have trouble putting it down, even when the puzzles seem impossible or downright confusing, it's the story that pushes youContrast is a very unique game. While it did get a bit glitchy at times when moving the boxes or getting stuck on something at random. It's a really great game, the story with Didi and her parents really gets you into the world of Contrast. While it's a short game, you have trouble putting it down, even when the puzzles seem impossible or downright confusing, it's the story that pushes you to want to keep playing. And let me say, what an experience.

It's definitely worth the $15. It took me about 3 hours to beat the game, but going back, getting the collectibles and achievements makes it all the more worth the extra hours. Also worth mentioning, this game is absolutely gorgeous, you really get a sense of truly being in 1920's Paris. I'd definitely recommend this game to people who likes puzzle games such as Portal.

I give it at 8/10
  11. Nov 27, 2013
    This is an excellent puzzle exploration game with an interesting storyline if you watch cut-scenes.

What makes this game a trendsetting gem, though, is that the developers have conceptualized progression problem solving in a completely new way. It's unique to see a game that features a dual-dimensional landscape that requires players to use the character's ability to fluidly shift between the 2-D and 3-D environments to solve various puzzles and progress.

The game can be successfully conquered in a couple hours and aside from a few bugs here and there and infrequent save points, it's a good game that doesn't require a lifetime of dedication to fully complete *cough* Skyrim *cough*. I got my copy for $15 and I'd say that price is appropriate.
  12. Nov 16, 2013
    "Contrast" caught my eye a while back, since I love the ingenuity of most indie developers very much and they mostly focus more on an unique gaming experience than on targeting broader audiences with oversaturated gameplay that is suited for the mass market. The trailers looked very nice and combining a 3D and 2D world using the shadow-shifting mechanic was highly intriguing.

I bought

I bought the came on release and couldn't wait to play it. The first negative experience I got was actually right after I clicked on "New Game". The player is thrown into the game and gets going immediately, without any kind of introductory cinematic or anything of the like. Usually this can be okay of course, but I felt a lack of "being drawn" into the world and the story.

Shortly after, one thing became crystal clear: This game was never designed for being played on PC. The game flow is highly linear, there is an unbelievable amount of invisible walls that not only deny the glimpse of feeling of being able to freely explore the level, but are also often hindering you in properly playing the game. You can get easily stuck on the tiniest objects and the collision boxes are sized very generously despite that, you often glitch behind objects when you are not even trying, and the controls themselves are utterly bad. This all is maybe fit for consoles or with any controller for a matter of fact, but not for a keyboard/mouse setup. From a technical perspective I can unterstand that the mixing of the 2D/3D shadow mechanic can be quite challenging, but they probably could have done this way better.

The game also lacks the swingy/jazzy style of music for the most part that was put into the trailers (sadly) and is only there in certain areas of the game. This gives huge drawbacks to the mood that could have been built up. It's really a shame, because the musical score is actually pretty amazing.

Despite all this heavy critique I gave so far, I am still giving an "above average" rating. Why? Because Contrast's style and gameplay is very unique. It does make a lot of fun to shift between the three-dimensional world and the shadows, the plattforming is mostly solid and there is some motivation to find all collectibles and other tiny things to discover in the levels.

I probably would have bumped the rating up by one or even two points if the controls weren't as god-awful and if there were some more background tracks going on, just to complement the overall very excellent setting.

If you like original platformers, and you don't mind "console"-controls, this money is certainly well spent. If you don't like them, give it a try with a gamepad. If this is also not an option for you, you may want to play it at a friends house or anywhere else you are able to test-play it.
  13. Apr 8, 2014
    The game has interesting mechanics of switching between 2D shadow world and 3D real world. Also it's rather atmospheric and has an interesting story. The big downside is the clumsy controls system. The camera moves too fast and the mouse sensitivity can't be adjusted. Also can't set distance of the camera to the character with the mouse wheel. As a result, the whole game process is almostThe game has interesting mechanics of switching between 2D shadow world and 3D real world. Also it's rather atmospheric and has an interesting story. The big downside is the clumsy controls system. The camera moves too fast and the mouse sensitivity can't be adjusted. Also can't set distance of the camera to the character with the mouse wheel. As a result, the whole game process is almost painful. Another big annoyance is that you are constantly interrupted by cutscenes where the control is suddenly taken away from you. Before control is given back, the camera would slowly move back behind the character, then wait a few seconds until the character finally begins responding to mouse movements. Although the mechanics of 2D/3D switches is unique, it gets boring after a while, because other than jumping puzzles this game doesn't really offer anything else except maybe some scripted events and loads of cutscenes. It's certainly worse that Psychonauts which is the closest game to this one. This game was obviously designed for consoles and console gamers might like it, but I don't really. Giving it 6 stars for the unique mechanics and good artistic style. Expand
  14. Dec 3, 2013
    This is a good game overall. The soundtrack is fantastic. The 3D 2D silhouette switching works well for the most part, and some of the puzzles are good. Graphics art style is excellent and very atmospheric. Voice acting is pretty good and contains some professional actors (Elias Toufexis, Bruce Dinsmore & Vanessa Matsui, etc).

I would have given it 80-85%, but sadly it gets only 70%

I would have given it 80-85%, but sadly it gets only 70% due to a number of game-breaking bugs (mostly clipping collision detection issues, ie, getting stuck in the floor after jumping down from a height or an object in the wall (especially in some areas of the circus). It's not broken as in "you can't finish it", but expect to reload a few times in one or two areas if you bump into the "wrong" thing. It's a shame as the game has a "fresh" feel to it, is very atmospheric and would have been superb had it been released bug free.
  15. Nov 19, 2013
    The atmosphere. The one thing alone that makes this game playable. Even with cartoonish, angular people, small quantity of characters that you can see in 3d, it still feels like the world of Contrast filled with life.
    Lack of visual glitches, full and working gamepad support rare things you can see in modern pc games make process of inhibiting air of 1920s even more enjoyable. Totally worth 10 bucks that they're asking for it.
  16. Jan 21, 2014
    Interesting concept but is linear and has a large number of display bugs. Lots of "tearing" in the graphics settings with no way to fix them in the video settings. This game plays and feels like a cheap "Kickstarter" game.
  17. Nov 16, 2013
    The game is innovative and different, works very well with the Xbox contoller for windows, lovely graphics and atmosphere, fun to play, one for the more discerning gamer, please can we have some more.
  18. Nov 17, 2013
    This is a great game with moderately challenging puzzles. The texture and art style made me droll, as it is fantastic. The dialogue was also great making me really bond with the characters. The story line and game concept blew my mind, and I truly believe it will blow yours as well. I can not stop listening to the sound track either. The only downfall the game has is that it is only fiveThis is a great game with moderately challenging puzzles. The texture and art style made me droll, as it is fantastic. The dialogue was also great making me really bond with the characters. The story line and game concept blew my mind, and I truly believe it will blow yours as well. I can not stop listening to the sound track either. The only downfall the game has is that it is only five short but amazing hours long, depressing me that it is over. Over all this game is just simply brilliant. I highly recommend it. It will blow your mind. Expand
  19. Nov 19, 2013
    Contrast is such a beautiful game. I waited for so long for this game to unlock on Steam after pre-ordering it, and the wait was very much worth it. The gameplay is something that I've never experienced before in other platformers; what an amazing experience. I thought the shifts and interactions between the 3D world and the 2D world of shadows was absolutely fantastic. The main hook forContrast is such a beautiful game. I waited for so long for this game to unlock on Steam after pre-ordering it, and the wait was very much worth it. The gameplay is something that I've never experienced before in other platformers; what an amazing experience. I thought the shifts and interactions between the 3D world and the 2D world of shadows was absolutely fantastic. The main hook for me was the setting and the soundtrack. The 20s vibe combined with elements of film noir was something that I instantly fell in love with, and the soundtrack is nothing short of brilliant. The other thing that I loved so much about this game is Dawn's character design. I couldn't get enough of it. However, although my general opinion of this game is positive (don't get me wrong, I love this game a lot), I can't say that it is perfect. I thought the story was a bit weak and the ending falls a bit short. There were times where I found myself over-analyzing the story and hoping for a major plot twist. I guess I'm just used to story-heavy games. Having said that, the mechanics of the game more than makes up for what it lacks in story. I did find that the puzzles became a bit frustrating in some stages, though that might just be my incompetence. Overall I give this game a 9/10 because of its genius and sheer beauty. Expand
  20. Dec 15, 2013
    Objective review:

The Short: Certainly a Game worth playing! Dont miss this one! The Long: Have been playing video games since about 1979. Cannot count the number a bad games I have played over the years. Have my own rating system of course, but I wont bother you to list it here. This is a good game this is why, it takes elements from other games, periods, culture, and meshes it
    Objective review:

The Short: Certainly a Game worth playing! Dont miss this one!

The Long: Have been playing video games since about 1979. Cannot count the number a bad games I have played over the years. Have my own rating system of course, but I wont bother you to list it here. This is a good game this is why, it takes elements from other games, periods, culture, and meshes it together in its own unique fashion. It's a Caroline (Dark, Tim Burton movie), Alice (Mind bending, video game), Bioshock (50's cliché videogame), mixed with a little Dick Tracy (Novel type storyline), and a sight tinge of portal and tome raider (puzzles and pathfinding)

As you have already read the game is 3D, but shifts into 2D for platforming puzzles. What a concept! I have not gotten far in the game, and I don't know what the length of the game will be, but I assure you I am so glad I didn't miss out on this one. I have played, literally, thousands of games, and more than once I got goosebumps thinking about how different and unique this game is. Yes, it's simple, linear, and a mishmash of different games, and themes, but as someone once said "everything that can be invented already has" So there certainly isn't one singular formula in this game. They have taken from different themes and ideas and created something unique! And for the record I don't like pathfinding, and don't care much for platforming (well since sega anyway! LOL), but the storyline is solid and the theme rather unique. Bottom Line is the game is FUN!!

Ok now for the bad, Controls suck, you cant remap controller or keyboard/mouse. That's what I call a bad port! Or just a NO-NO! Let me tell you that I liked this game so much I remapped my keyboard so I could play it comfortably! I have done that like 7 times in 30 years to play a game! Ok, next the graphics aren't bad, but don't expect Far Cry 3 either. Checkpoint saves, ok never liked them since then were introduced 16 years ago. One last thing, rather minor, but sometimes your objectives are not very clear, no minimap, but the game is quite linear, so isnt really much of a problem.

Pros:
    Unique Gameplay
    Solid Storyline
    Stable interface
    FUN!!

Cons:
    Cant remap controls
    Graphics not bad, but not top of the line next gen either
    Checkpoint saves always suck
    Linear gameplay, sandbox would be awesome

Summary:
    For the record this is not an epic game, just one worth playing. I don't think you will be disappointed.
  21. May 5, 2014
    If you are into Jazz, Contrast is worth playing just for the sake of the soundtrack.

If the premise of a bluesy, gloomy, artsy, early 1900's Paris atmosphere - which this game reflects brilliantly - doesn't particularly appeal to you, you might want to think twice. Contrast's gameplay is entirely based around blending 2D and 3D. It's a good idea, fits well with the semi-magical

Contrast's gameplay is entirely based around blending 2D and 3D. It's a good idea, fits well with the semi-magical atmosphere, but unfortunately doesn't feel like it's been used to the full potential. The biggest challenges lie in the 2D platformers, whilst the 3D part feels underexploited (and the keyboard controls clunky - this was clearly designed for a controller). The 3D world just serves as an aid to model the 2D world, or as a link to reach the next 2D surface. At some moments, you feel like it's almost there and regret what the game could have become if the 2D and 3D had been made to blend in a bit more crazily.

Some of the puzzles are brilliant, some of them just about mediocre, but it all ends too soon. The game is extremely short (only 3 levels, count about an hour each). WIth no extra difficulty or challenge, with all collectible lying out in plain sight of the linear path, the replay value relies on just one thing: the really compelling atmosphere, characters, and the excellent voice acting.
  22. Oct 11, 2014
    Contrast starts on a very clever gaming mechanism but ends up falling short. The story is dull, the characters are botched, the game-play is repetitive and the controls are clunky. The whole game can be 100% completed in one seating of 4 hours.
    That is a pity because the premise of this game, the atmosphere, the era and the soundtrack are top notch. All the ingredients were there to make this game mythical. However, the poor execution ends up ruining the show and the whole thing feels sour in the end.
  23. Nov 16, 2013
    великолепна.
    Геймплей легкий.
    Очень задание.

Не интересно.
    Существуют 8.
  24. Nov 17, 2013
    This game is pretty and the concept was ambitious but it failed beyond those two things. Why do I say it failed?? Because after about 30 minutes I really didn't want to play anymore. After noticing the great art direction, the first thing I noticed were the terrible controls. The character moves very fast which results in lots of bumping into, and falling off of things. Not good, andThis game is pretty and the concept was ambitious but it failed beyond those two things. Why do I say it failed?? Because after about 30 minutes I really didn't want to play anymore. After noticing the great art direction, the first thing I noticed were the terrible controls. The character moves very fast which results in lots of bumping into, and falling off of things. Not good, and likely the cause of complaints that the character gets stuck in and to geometry Next was the simplistic repetitiveness of the puzzles. Yawn...I want to play something else. One could say this game had the potential to be a gem but I suppose one could say that about every game. Potential doesn't matter once a game hits the market.
    Contrast is a fail.
  25. Nov 27, 2013
    I was browsing through games on Steam, trying to find a game that I would enjoy playing, and I saw Contrast. It really caught my eye, the graphics and all, so I downloaded It. First starting the game I was really excited, first couple of minutes I had a lot of fun, but then the puzzles were getting boring, and old, there wasn't any action in the game. When I first saw the game, I taughtI was browsing through games on Steam, trying to find a game that I would enjoy playing, and I saw Contrast. It really caught my eye, the graphics and all, so I downloaded It. First starting the game I was really excited, first couple of minutes I had a lot of fun, but then the puzzles were getting boring, and old, there wasn't any action in the game. When I first saw the game, I taught that there would be some action and the most important thing, that there would be an awesome story worth following, but nah It was really dumb, maybe just for me, I don't know... All in all, I didn't like the game very much, I only liked the graphics that were unusual and cool, the music and I enjoyed the atmosphere. I would recommend this game to people that like solving boring puzzles. Expand
  26. Dec 1, 2013
    Contrast is amazing! Really incredible art, emotionally engaging story, and seriously fun shadow mechanic make this game something of a rarity. I can't express how underrated I think this game actually is. Granted there are minor technical hiccups and the game is short, but it was also made by a really small independent team, and none of the glitches I encountered were game breaking. AllContrast is amazing! Really incredible art, emotionally engaging story, and seriously fun shadow mechanic make this game something of a rarity. I can't express how underrated I think this game actually is. Granted there are minor technical hiccups and the game is short, but it was also made by a really small independent team, and none of the glitches I encountered were game breaking. All in all highly recommended! Expand
  27. Jun 29, 2014
    Due to low PC setting (because i didn't get a good pc though), i can honestly say Contrast is really great puzzle game. But i did hope game-play would be longer but the game's story still very good and sound, design, etc. I think Contrast deserves 8/10
  28. Aug 23, 2014
    Amazing artwork and concept. Very nice music, story and voice acting. Some jumps can be a bit tedious, especially toward the end of the game. Except for timing of some jumps, I had no issues with controls. No complaints about camera movement either. Length is perfect (I like short games). Overall, a unique game that’s well worth your time and money. Highly underrated.

1. Dec 31, 2013
    Still, even with the most charming narrative, the clumsy and ultimately banal action leaves Contrast whistling in the dark. [Feb 2014, p.74]
    Simple, yet poetic game of shadows and light, which would benefit from a little more polish, so it wouldn’t grate on its players’ nerves. [Issue#237]
  3. Dec 12, 2013
    A different experience, not memorable, but it manages to hold our attention until the end. It’s worth it for its noir aesthetic, combined with a cabaret soundtrack and a clever mix of patterns of play, both in 2D, 3D alternation, as the variation between moments of platforms, and those in which we are put to mental test.