6.3

1. RodneyD.
    Oct 5, 2006
    In a genre (team RPG/turn-based strategy) that has few recent titles, this one is actually pretty good. It's a large improvement on several points over its predecessor (Paradise Cracked) by the same company. Combat is a bit tedious as most turn-based squad games tend to be, as each unit gets a chance to do something and go somewhere while all the others wait. It can't be helped, In a genre (team RPG/turn-based strategy) that has few recent titles, this one is actually pretty good. It's a large improvement on several points over its predecessor (Paradise Cracked) by the same company. Combat is a bit tedious as most turn-based squad games tend to be, as each unit gets a chance to do something and go somewhere while all the others wait. It can't be helped, all the good titles in the genre also suffered the same thing. (Fallout, Wasteland, UFO/Xcom etc.) At least you can double-click to have your character skip the movement animation and zip immediately to their destination. (or as close as they can get with their movement points of that turn) Character development is a little sub-par as you only need to consider the assignment of points to a handful of attributes such as strength and intelligence, but it gets the job done. The graphics are pretty advanced for a game of this genre, where the RPG aspects usually come first and eye candy a distinct second. I have to agree with most of the reviewers about the sounds, as they are repetitive and not very good. English localization (it's from a Russian development house) is markedly improved over their previous title, and is only noticeable in a few places by odd phrasings. The voice actors, while not terribly inspired, actually speak pretty good English in this title. Plotline borders on the obscure at points, next to sound it's the weakest part of the game. The missions are generally variations on destroy-all-enemies, and it's not often clear who you should talk to or when to advance the plot (or who NOT to talk to until you've done everything else first!) and the plot is quite linear. It might be possible to delay or ignore a couple side quests but you can't transition areas freely. Odd, that, since they got it right in their previous title. Camera action is fairly smooth and clear, and a new character's-eye-view helps with the sometimes odd aiming problems that the normal isometric view can cause. Overall, I wish there were more games like this out there...but RPG gamers are a small enough niche that the big developers don't consider RPGs to be cost-effective anymore. :( For reference, I've played about 6-8 missions through so far. I've also played pretty much every other title in the genre that I've found over the last 20 years. Expand
  2. JohnS.
    Feb 12, 2005
    Yes, it is pretty frustrating in the beginning - much like I found Syndicate and Syndicate Wars. It is also pretty tough at the beginning, but give it a chance, play it a bit, and if you liked Syndicate/Syndicate Wars/X-Com, you will probably like this. The interface could be better, and the voice overs, but generally it is a good strategy title, in an arena with few new games.
  3. Apr 30, 2013
    I wanted to like Cops 2170 as I'm quite fond of turn-based science-fiction RPGs but unfortunately, this isn't for me. It looks and feels old and that's alright but it's also unoptimized, the interface is horrible and the broken English just destroys immersion.

On my first mission I had no clue what to do or who the enemy was. The only way I could tell was by following the people that weren't shooting me and I could barely keep up with them, they seemed to steamroll the enemy. I was also given a side-task but I couldn't find out what exactly it was. It seems like there's a complex system behind it all with relationships and loyalties but once again, how do I know? the information that is available is convoluted and not redundant but vital information is constantly lacking.

I just don't have the patience for games in this state any more. This game is stuck in the 90's yet it came out in 2005. Must have been on the shelf for a very long time and there it must unfortunately remain.

1. There’s no tutorial to ease you into the game, the manual is overly cryptic, there’s no adjustable difficulty level, and combat seems almost intentionally tedious.
    The interface needs work, folks. The mechanics need work. The fun factor really isn't there, and there isn't even a compelling story to make it worth wading through a game that feels like it should have come out as shareware several years ago.. I liked the music, though.
  3. I would recommend checking out a walkthrough just to get to the first mission because if I didn't have to review this game the disk would have ended up smashed on the other side of my office in the first fifteen minutes.