7.7

1. Jul 22, 2012
    Costume Quest is surprisingly fun despite it's childish appearance. It is a short game, only about 6-7 hours in length on your first playthrough. The combat is actually quite fun since it has quicktime events to keep you on your toes. The levels are quite well designed and i never got the feeling of any repetition. The story is pretty good as well and the dialogue is filled with classicCostume Quest is surprisingly fun despite it's childish appearance. It is a short game, only about 6-7 hours in length on your first playthrough. The combat is actually quite fun since it has quicktime events to keep you on your toes. The levels are quite well designed and i never got the feeling of any repetition. The story is pretty good as well and the dialogue is filled with classic Double Fine humor. The RPG elements aren't very deep so it's easy to pick up and understand. The overall game is very straightforward and simple but that doesn't stop it from being an enjoyable experience. Expand
  2. May 7, 2013
    This game isn't hack 'n slash, not an rpg and definitely not a strategy game. It's a game for kids that would like to try out an rpg without heavy dialogue and stats based system. The whole game is pretty much about collecting stuff from trashcans and from the ground, opening chests in a not-so-secret-areas and occasionally fighting in turn-based combat from side-view (made known by finalThis game isn't hack 'n slash, not an rpg and definitely not a strategy game. It's a game for kids that would like to try out an rpg without heavy dialogue and stats based system. The whole game is pretty much about collecting stuff from trashcans and from the ground, opening chests in a not-so-secret-areas and occasionally fighting in turn-based combat from side-view (made known by final fantasy series). Costume Quest isn't a bad game, it's just too light for a serious and seasoned gamer with it's "grinding"-based gameplay. Expand
  3. Nov 23, 2012
    I wanted to like this far more than I did. I
  4. AWG
    Aug 1, 2013
    Costume Quest is certain a BBB game: Boring (you keep doing the same things over and over again), Basic and Buggy. From a promising prototype to a disappointing game.
  5. Mar 28, 2014
    Ahh, Tim Schaffer's company "Double Fine" creates a "light" RPG adventure game revolving around kids and Halloween. Crossing the style of South Parks "Fun with Weapons" episode with Final Fantasy, the powers come from the costumes that each wear. A Robot with strengthened attack power, a knight with heightened defense, the statue of liberty with powers to heal the whole team. There areAhh, Tim Schaffer's company "Double Fine" creates a "light" RPG adventure game revolving around kids and Halloween. Crossing the style of South Parks "Fun with Weapons" episode with Final Fantasy, the powers come from the costumes that each wear. A Robot with strengthened attack power, a knight with heightened defense, the statue of liberty with powers to heal the whole team. There are a total of around 9 costumes, but each only has one "ultimate" power.

The ideas behind the game are great, the setting really puts the player in the minds of the children, how they think- even there is no voice acting, the feeling and emotions are brought out wonderfully.
    Story lacks depth, idea being that some witch or other is stealing candy to help her get to some other country where she can take over. It felt something that a kid thought up. At the start of the game, your twin gets kidnapped, and this is the only time I ever felt any kind of real connection to it.
    The art-style reinforces the setting of playing in a kids world, big eyes, very cartoony.

Gameplay is either adventuring around looking for cases, hitting anything for candy (even getting candy from trash cans!), or spent in the battle sequence, where very "Final Fantasy" style gameplay commences. Unfortunately, both modes get old very quickly.
    The adventure part feels like a very "dark" Zelda game. It's not bad, but not great either. There were times where paths were too difficult to be seen, or understood. Finding the cases in the Mall, or even the hill on the final stage, where I thought fallen trees had stopped me walking up. (took me 3-4 hours just checking online as I thought it was a bug, or checking if I missed something). "Trick or Treating" became old in the first half of the game with no variation, which brings me to the...
    Battle sequence. This is where the action happens. Unfortunately, each costume only has one ultimate, as stated earlier. Also each person has one "battle stamp", which gives them a "counter", "stun", etc. Basically one trait that helps the character regardless of costume worn. Like the adventuring part, this becomes very stale from the second stage and begins to feel just like a waste of time for the player.
    All in all, for the experienced RPG player, this is very lack-luster. An even SIMPLER version of "Final Fantasy Mystic Quest" on the Super Nintendo comes to mind. So for children, this game would be a great purchase to introduce them to the genre of RPG.
    Other reviews stating that this game is "too short", may be correct. But with so little variation with Gameplay, AND a lack-luster story, I'd have to say it's a little too long.

Pros:
    The universe is nice and well brought out by its use of graphics and sound / music.
    Great ideas put on the table.
    Nice bits of humor

Cons;
    Adventure sections too dark and sometimes difficult to navigate
    Lacking gameplay and depth, game gets old very quickly.

Overall;
    I give this a very average 50-60%

It feels that with all of the great ideas that were put onto the table, about half of the potential was made. I'm not sure if it was a rushed project or anything, as the music and sound was perfect, but it would be nice to see what would have happened if the developer had gone the extra mile.

As it is, I'd only recommend this game for younger games who you'd like to see explore bits of RPG- outside the world of Pokemon
  6. Jul 20, 2014
    I wanted to like this game, but unfortunately it was a bit of a let down. The main story is good enough, but the game play is boring and repetitive. Maybe if you could change the difficulty level things would have been better, but as the game stands you can defeat 90% of the monsters without using any battle stamps whatsoever. I was sick of trick or treating and all its monotony by the 2ndI wanted to like this game, but unfortunately it was a bit of a let down. The main story is good enough, but the game play is boring and repetitive. Maybe if you could change the difficulty level things would have been better, but as the game stands you can defeat 90% of the monsters without using any battle stamps whatsoever. I was sick of trick or treating and all its monotony by the 2nd level. Cute game, but it's probably best left for the kiddos to play. Expand
  7. Nov 20, 2013
    What I intended to hate, I actually kind of enjoyed… I’m not really an avid fan of RPG’s; in fact I really don’t like them at all. However, Costume Quest was just fun and cute enough to be enjoyable! The only negative thing I have to say about the game is the limited number of characters for battle, or more to the point the fact each character only has three moves! It does make theWhat I intended to hate, I actually kind of enjoyed… I’m not really an avid fan of RPG’s; in fact I really don’t like them at all. However, Costume Quest was just fun and cute enough to be enjoyable! The only negative thing I have to say about the game is the limited number of characters for battle, or more to the point the fact each character only has three moves! It does make the game-play quite repetitive to say the least! Considering the fact I managed to play and complete this game (and it’s expansion) certainly means I enjoyed my experience; those who tend to love this genre are the ones who may not get any value from the title, as it isn't really too challenging! Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Nov 1, 2011
    Creativity-infused cartoon combat blends perfectly with trick-or-treating nostalgia to give this humorous little download some tremendous pull.
  2. Oct 26, 2011
    The decision to make a season-specific game deserves recognition, even if the gameplay and script might lack the imagination required by my favorite holiday.