7.9

1. Mar 28, 2014
    Ahh, Tim Schaffer's company "Double Fine" creates a "light" RPG adventure game revolving around kids and Halloween. Crossing the style of South Parks "Fun with Weapons" episode with Final Fantasy, the powers come from the costumes that each wear. A Robot with strengthened attack power, a knight with heightened defense, the statue of liberty with powers to heal the whole team. There are a total of around 9 costumes, but each only has one "ultimate" power.

The ideas behind the game are great, the setting really puts the player in the minds of the children, how they think- even there is no voice acting, the feeling and emotions are brought out wonderfully.
    Story lacks depth, idea being that some witch or other is stealing candy to help her get to some other country where she can take over. It felt something that a kid thought up. At the start of the game, your twin gets kidnapped, and this is the only time I ever felt any kind of real connection to it.
    The art-style reinforces the setting of playing in a kids world, big eyes, very cartoony.

Gameplay is either adventuring around looking for cases, hitting anything for candy (even getting candy from trash cans!), or spent in the battle sequence, where very "Final Fantasy" style gameplay commences. Unfortunately, both modes get old very quickly.
    The adventure part feels like a very "dark" Zelda game. It's not bad, but not great either. There were times where paths were too difficult to be seen, or understood. Finding the cases in the Mall, or even the hill on the final stage, where I thought fallen trees had stopped me walking up. (took me 3-4 hours just checking online as I thought it was a bug, or checking if I missed something). "Trick or Treating" became old in the first half of the game with no variation, which brings me to the...
    Battle sequence. This is where the action happens. Unfortunately, each costume only has one ultimate, as stated earlier. Also each person has one "battle stamp", which gives them a "counter", "stun", etc. Basically one trait that helps the character regardless of costume worn. Like the adventuring part, this becomes very stale from the second stage and begins to feel just like a waste of time for the player.
    All in all, for the experienced RPG player, this is very lack-luster. An even SIMPLER version of "Final Fantasy Mystic Quest" on the Super Nintendo comes to mind. So for children, this game would be a great purchase to introduce them to the genre of RPG.
    Other reviews stating that this game is "too short", may be correct. But with so little variation with Gameplay, AND a lack-luster story, I'd have to say it's a little too long.

Pros:
    The universe is nice and well brought out by its use of graphics and sound / music.
    Great ideas put on the table.
    Nice bits of humor

Cons;
    Adventure sections too dark and sometimes difficult to navigate
    Lacking gameplay and depth, game gets old very quickly.

Overall;
    I give this a very average 50-60%

It feels that with all of the great ideas that were put onto the table, about half of the potential was made. I'm not sure if it was a rushed project or anything, as the music and sound was perfect, but it would be nice to see what would have happened if the developer had gone the extra mile.

As it is, I'd only recommend this game for younger games who you'd like to see explore bits of RPG- outside the world of Pokemon
  2. Nov 27, 2013
    Double Fine Dose it again! With a funny creative innovate new game! The combat is really fun and the costumes are amazing also with the graphs and jokes! I recommend getting this for halloween (And Christmas) With the Christmas update its amazing
  3. Nov 20, 2013
    What I intended to hate, I actually kind of enjoyed… I’m not really an avid fan of RPG’s; in fact I really don’t like them at all. However, Costume Quest was just fun and cute enough to be enjoyable! The only negative thing I have to say about the game is the limited number of characters for battle, or more to the point the fact each character only has three moves! It does make the game-play quite repetitive to say the least! Considering the fact I managed to play and complete this game (and it’s expansion) certainly means I enjoyed my experience; those who tend to love this genre are the ones who may not get any value from the title, as it isn't really too challenging! Expand
  4. Aug 12, 2013
    Good and creative game. I personally enjoying Double Fine games because they have some good childish craziness. And this one is not an exception.
    But I remove one point because game is too simple and actually you don't need some powers in combat.
  5. AWG
    Aug 1, 2013
    Costume Quest is certain a BBB game: Boring (you keep doing the same things over and over again), Basic and Buggy. From a promising prototype to a disappointing game.
  6. Jun 21, 2013
    Not the type of game I usually play but it came in Amazon's Double Fine Bundle and I gave it a go. Was very impressed despite the cartoon graphics and weird story. Controls & combat are simple and straight forward but the abundance of costumes adds a lot of variety. Definitely has some good humor and is still safe for kids.

Highly recommend using a controller but it has to be Xinput or
    you need to use x360ce. Very short, 6 1/2 hours to beat game DLC but the length just kind of feels right for the game. Expand
  7. May 12, 2013
    Really well done, the game has a unique charm!
    The gameplay may be a little slow and lack of depth, but considering the game's duration is nice. The different costumes and their skills are enough.
    The dialogs and characters personality are the best for me.
  8. May 7, 2013
    This game isn't hack 'n slash, not an rpg and definitely not a strategy game. It's a game for kids that would like to try out an rpg without heavy dialogue and stats based system. The whole game is pretty much about collecting stuff from trashcans and from the ground, opening chests in a not-so-secret-areas and occasionally fighting in turn-based combat from side-view (made known by final fantasy series). Costume Quest isn't a bad game, it's just too light for a serious and seasoned gamer with it's "grinding"-based gameplay. Expand
  9. Dec 27, 2012
    Costume Quest is easy on the eyes, witty and very full of life. The music and graphics both pop, the game fits together very well and overall just feels "right". There's enough variety in the game play to keep it fresh, but there are sections where you seem to be going from battle to battle, which really brings out the repetitive nature of the combat.. There were two specific moments in the game where I couldn't progress any further simply because I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go., however, that may have just been me. All in all a fun game that's worth your time. Expand
  10. Dec 8, 2012
    Very nice; a sort of Halloween Zelda mishmash-ed with Final Fantasy but still unique. Very entertaining! You just get caught playing and hours are disappearing with you realizing.
  11. Nov 23, 2012
    I wanted to like this far more than I did. I
  12. Sep 20, 2012
    This is a really original and great game that is a bit too short and repetitive to be perfect. Finished the main campaign in four hours (haven't played the DLC yet), but loved every minute of it. My advice is buy it, but if you are uncomfortable with the current full price for a short game, pick it up during a sale. You'll most likely not regret it
  13. Sep 10, 2012
    A fun game, but the combat can get repetitive after a while.. that's where the combination of different costumes make the game fun again, can't wait the next release.
  14. Aug 6, 2012
    Very enjoyable, lovely idea with adorable graphics and gameplay. The concept of collecting pieces for new costumes is awesome. The game has a few minor issues though. The controls are sometimes annoying, the battles don't offer too much in terms of strategy and can get slightly boring. The game also seems pretty short. However it is a very enjoyable experience.
  15. Jul 22, 2012
    Costume Quest is surprisingly fun despite it's childish appearance. It is a short game, only about 6-7 hours in length on your first playthrough. The combat is actually quite fun since it has quicktime events to keep you on your toes. The levels are quite well designed and i never got the feeling of any repetition. The story is pretty good as well and the dialogue is filled with classic Double Fine humor. The RPG elements aren't very deep so it's easy to pick up and understand. The overall game is very straightforward and simple but that doesn't stop it from being an enjoyable experience. Expand
  16. Jun 18, 2012
    This game is a console style RPG that that really delivers a different experience while still being in the general terms of that genre. It has a very unique battle system that is a marvel at first but becomes the game's only downside later on, when the repetitiveness just sinks in. Why an 8 then, you might wonder? Well, the game's atmosphere, design and writing more than make up for that. Also, the music is good. No voice overs, though. So, if you're illiterate, you shouldn't play this game. Expand
  17. Mar 17, 2012
    Adorable story, cute characters and story. This game is brilliant just needs expansions for yearly holidays IMO that should be patched in. The only problem I could ever have with the game is it's semi short. (4hrs for a quick run though 1-2 more if you hunt for everything. But hey, it comes with the expansion on steam which is about another 2-3hrs.)
  18. Mar 7, 2012
    If you would have asked me if it was possible to turn trick-or-treating into a fun video game, I would have laughed. But after playing Costume Quest, I'm simply left in awe. It is so clever, witty, and charming--a perfect game for kids or just the kid in you. The look, feel and gameplay is somewhat similar to On the Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness. There's a lot of thought that went into the costumes, quests, battle stamps, and the special attacks. I challenge all doubters to say they can't find an enjoyable game in here. Two thumbs up. Expand
  19. Feb 6, 2012
    It's a unique game that is good for all ages with a lot of wry humor that doesn't go past the limit of good taste. It's not perfect as the combat is very linear and repetitive and doesn't offer much of a challenge until the very end. I didn't find it to be too short as it took me about six to seven hours to complete the quests and collect all the cards. It's a great game if you need a break from more serious games or are short on time and just want something light that you can pick up on a whim and play for a bit. Expand
  20. Jan 18, 2012
    Double fine has done it again! "Costume Quest" is a creative and adorable Halloween themed adventure game that carefully combines turn-based battles with small RPG elements. It's filled with little morsels of in-jokes, clever dialogue and some truly imaginative visuals. CQ is a unique game that brings back the days of trick-or-treating with the wonder of being something greater the one day of the year where costumes bring out the adventurer in all of us. There are a few issues I had with the repetitiveness of the battles but it is so minor compared to the game as a whole. The characters are sweet and brave and their costumes are colorful and reminiscent of home-made costume making. There are two full quests in the game and plenty of achievements to forage for. If you have a need for fun with a Halloween theme you can't do any better than Costume Quest! Collapse
  21. Dec 8, 2011
    It's pretty good, not fantastic. Downsides: A bit too short (did it in 4 hours) and the gameplay is a little dull. But the music, atmosphere, graphics, story and script make up for it. I'd recommend this game to just about anyone.
  22. Jan 18, 2012
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Nov 1, 2011
    Creativity-infused cartoon combat blends perfectly with trick-or-treating nostalgia to give this humorous little download some tremendous pull.
  2. Oct 26, 2011
    The decision to make a season-specific game deserves recognition, even if the gameplay and script might lack the imagination required by my favorite holiday.