7.9

1. Sep 8, 2012
    CS:GO off the bat is a nice update to CS (having played since CS 1.3).

Pros: 1) Nice graphical tweaks to old and tired maps give the game a fresh feel. 2) A nice jump in and play system which makes it easy to get a server without the hassle of having to find one. 3) 2 new game modes off the bat, "Arms Race" is a simple gun game type scenario where as you kill, you get a new weapon,
    CS:GO off the bat is a nice update to CS (having played since CS 1.3).

Pros:
    1) Nice graphical tweaks to old and tired maps give the game a fresh feel.
    3) 2 new game modes off the bat, "Arms Race" is a simple gun game type scenario where as you kill, you get a new weapon, this is using a deathmatch system as well, so you will instantly respawn. "Demolition" changes this by setting out guns you unlock by killing enemies with your current weapon, and you can get bonus grenades by performing well in the round. Both new games are fun, and I have spent most of my time in GO playing them!

Cons:
    1) Locked down netcode! - Anyone who has played CS of any type in the past will have tweaked the netcode to suit their specific connection/computer/taste. Valve has locked the netcode down so much in GO that you cannot really fine tune your system. This is a big no no to me!
    2) Lack of maps - This may be something that will be addressed in the future through patches, but its the same old maps, and not many of them. You have Italy, Dust 1 & 2, Aztec, Office, Nuke & Train. In standard game play scenarios you will get bored of these pretty quickly! That said, the new game play modes have added rehashed versions of old maps (i.e a short version of train), but to me it feels like there isn't enough content on launch to keep the audience entertained.
    3) Ever changing models - As an old player of source, I got used to the colours of CT = blue, Terror = red (or brown!). However, with CS:GO each map changes the models, which isn't so bad in itself, however on some maps the models are so close in colour, you cannot tell them apart from any reasonable distance, which leaves me hovering over a player to ascertain whether they are on my own side or not....very frustrating!!
    4) The cross-hair - I like the old cross-hair, however I tried to use it and it seemed useless, so I now have to use the abomination that is the "new" cross-hair. You cannot change its colour (as far as I can tell) and it takes up so much room on the screen when your running around, its just annoying! It does seem to recognize friendlies, so that's why I'm using it. Overall, very poor!
    5) Clunky movement, and shocking physics - CSS may not have been the best 1st person shooter ever, but it felt fluid and smooth, however you come across GO and it seems very clunky, the players all run like they have a stick up their backsides and the physics are 10 years old (cannot shoot barrels now apparently!!).

That all said, the game is certainly entertaining. Better than CSS? No, but its certainly enjoyable, and with a few tweaks of the engine, some new content I'm sure it will be here to stay.

For the £12 I spent, I don't regret it, but if you are happy in CSS now, I would see the need to rush over immediately.
  2. Aug 24, 2012
    I'm giving this game a 6/10 because it feels incomplete. There's only 16 maps in the game currently, and Assault isn't one of them, which is kinda like making a Mario game and leaving out Luigi. Matchmaking is another huge problem in this game. I often party up with 4-6 people (to noobstomp ofc) and matchmaking always tries to join full servers or servers with inadequate slots for ourI'm giving this game a 6/10 because it feels incomplete. There's only 16 maps in the game currently, and Assault isn't one of them, which is kinda like making a Mario game and leaving out Luigi. Matchmaking is another huge problem in this game. I often party up with 4-6 people (to noobstomp ofc) and matchmaking always tries to join full servers or servers with inadequate slots for our party. Then we always have to remake and this happens all the time. CS1.6 is still better than GO atm, but GO is definitely a step up from Source. Valve has a long way to go if they want to make it a classic because this game still feels like a beta. Expand
  3. Aug 21, 2012
    Quite simply, this feels like a reskin of CS:S. Sure some backend stuff may have changed but to me as a player, it feels the same. This leaves the game in an awkward sort of limbo between old and new with fancy graphics that, if anything, make the outdated gameplay stand out more than ever. This may be hard to picture, so I will liken it to this: imagine your dad rocking up to yourQuite simply, this feels like a reskin of CS:S. Sure some backend stuff may have changed but to me as a player, it feels the same. This leaves the game in an awkward sort of limbo between old and new with fancy graphics that, if anything, make the outdated gameplay stand out more than ever. This may be hard to picture, so I will liken it to this: imagine your dad rocking up to your birthday party, dressed like all your friends. The cover can only last so long which is, in this case, until the moment after you buy the game and play your first match.

If you really love CS, but for some reason cannot play CS:S without improved graphics, get this. If you are new to the series, don't buy it or you will just end up feeling lost, hurt and confused like that first girl at the party to approach your dad.
  4. Aug 21, 2012
    It's an improvement over the original CS in terms of accessibility and game modes, but make no mistake, it's still the same game with a new coat of paint. This is either a good or bad thing depending on how you felt about CS in the first place, but I will say that it's showing its age.
  5. May 23, 2013
    It's no Counter Strike Source, but it still has some nice qualities. Graphics improved from its predecessor. At the same time, the movement and aiming feels a little sloppy compared to the crispness of CSS. Great game for the price, but like many other die hard CSS fans, I believe the original is still a better game.
  6. Sep 9, 2012
    So many expectations were about this game. Even i was thinking, it can be something more than regular CS game. But it's still the same. Graphics were improved, few guns, and maps were added, but nothing special at all. Yes, some changes were added, official gun-game for example, but CS still needs something special, like a completely new game modes. Yes, this game is good, but expectationsSo many expectations were about this game. Even i was thinking, it can be something more than regular CS game. But it's still the same. Graphics were improved, few guns, and maps were added, but nothing special at all. Yes, some changes were added, official gun-game for example, but CS still needs something special, like a completely new game modes. Yes, this game is good, but expectations weren't realized. New buying menu isn't very comfortable. Gameplay hasn't changed since CS 1.6, what is a downside. Because if i want to play CS 1.6 with better graphics, i better play CS 1.6, and won't lost my 15 bux for the remake. if you guys think, it's an excellent successor to CS: S, you're wrong, because sequel must has something new. CS: GO, unfortunately hasn't. Expand
  7. Aug 21, 2012
    Pretty ok. I was kinda hoping for something different, but it's the same exact thing as the previous games. If you like counterstrike, you'll probably like this. I prefer BF3.
  8. Aug 22, 2012
    To start out: I have mainly played quake/ut style games since '96 and while I've dabbled in CS through LANs and such back in the day, my interest was very weak. Mainly because the game is very slow paced and favors 2 tactics: mobbing and camping down a thin avenue of approach. This combined with bullet spray mechanic when moving makes aggression a weak and stupid tactic. I don't likeTo start out: I have mainly played quake/ut style games since '96 and while I've dabbled in CS through LANs and such back in the day, my interest was very weak. Mainly because the game is very slow paced and favors 2 tactics: mobbing and camping down a thin avenue of approach. This combined with bullet spray mechanic when moving makes aggression a weak and stupid tactic. I don't like playing this style game, but gave it a chance when valve released cs:s. Again, the same, but bullet spray and poor hit detection seemed amplified and I gave it up fairly quickly. Now we have CS:GO. To begin, the game is gorgeous and has more infrastructure to it than any CS before. It DOES have matchmaking which is annoying, but there is also the option to play dedicated so who cares? The bullet spray is either tighter or the netcode better, I dunno which. Overall it's still the same gameplay. The purchase interface is wanky, but most players will bind the relevant options and never use it anyway. If you love CS of any flavor, there is no reason you won't like this one. On the other hand, if you think CS gameplay is stale and want to see it mixed up so that aggression and and precision are rewarded rather than penalized, look elsewhere. This is classic CS with a beautiful engine on top. I think the game is a 4 gameplay wise, but I give it a 7 as most people reading this are probably CS players, and I think it's an accurate representation of what a CS player would award this game. Expand
  9. Sep 7, 2012
    Lets be honest people if this was a CoD game it would be ripped apart for being the same game with new graphics. An excellent shooter, controls are tight, still fun but really it is the same as the last ones. If the internet didn't love Valve so much it would be ripped apart.
  10. Aug 31, 2012
    Quite honestly, mediocre and unnecessary. All it is, is counter-strike source with an updated source engine, and a few re modeled guns. This in no way had to be a new game, it brings nothing new to the counter-strike series, and it in no way should be praised as a revolution of the genre. This is coming from a counter-strike veteran who's played CS since 1.3, and also played CSS. I alsoQuite honestly, mediocre and unnecessary. All it is, is counter-strike source with an updated source engine, and a few re modeled guns. This in no way had to be a new game, it brings nothing new to the counter-strike series, and it in no way should be praised as a revolution of the genre. This is coming from a counter-strike veteran who's played CS since 1.3, and also played CSS. I also got into the CS:GO beta quite early and immediately i noticed it was quite lack luster. Kind of a shame that they didn't try to do anything new or fresh with the genre. It's just a new coat of paint on the same car. Expand
  11. May 19, 2013
    When this game got released, I was able to see the community "splitted": one who complained that CS was perfect as it was, and the other that it was a great innovation. I personally don't care which side is right, because, to me, this game is basically what the original CS should have done. And that is, to be more user friendly. Yes I also played the original CS (although just CS:S) and IWhen this game got released, I was able to see the community "splitted": one who complained that CS was perfect as it was, and the other that it was a great innovation. I personally don't care which side is right, because, to me, this game is basically what the original CS should have done. And that is, to be more user friendly. Yes I also played the original CS (although just CS:S) and I knew why it was good: it required skills in aiming, in timing and you needed team work, but it failed on the learning curve which was INSANE. Most of the matches were "Arena" based (there was also demolition but I rarely did it, while gungame was rare), and this was how I played: I entered, I walked in, I died from a headshot from an Ak-47 from an enemy at the other side of the map, I waited for my team to lose so I could respawn....this wasn't funny. Did I suck? Yeah of course, but I had no way to learn since I would die once I was alive! That's what this game did right: you finally can learn how to play, you can FINALLY play without fearing of dying after 10 seconds you've stepped in...and I started to enjoy! While this might be a rant in a way, what I'm trying to point out is that while it has no real innovation (just graphics and the interfaces), it's also much easier to learn and even newbies like me can go in, play and just try to have fun without being obsessively scared of dying! Of course, you can still play the original method as well, but it's all up to you to choose and you can easily try it once you've mastered it enough. Aside the fact of the innovation, it has also other benefits anyway: the maps are still good to this day, with almost no possibility for camping or hide perfectly, both because it requires a HUGE amount of aming, and in Deathmatch the respawns are random, so you can easily die anytime if you don't move. I believe we got less weapons now, but more "balanced" in a way, although I can't be totally sure since in the original game I couldn't buy due to the my lack income of money. For flaws, in my opinion, I still hate the hitboxes being clunky and very sporadic to hit (like I said, I might suck on this...but I would miss enemies even at blank point range, while for some reasons I was able to headshot with my shotgun. From the other side of the map!!!) and some weapons aren't exactly perfect and in the end people use few of them in total. All in all, I really enjoyed this game and for the first time I was able to play a Counter Strike game and have fun, without however neglecting the old community and giving us all the modes we used to play, plus some customizations. I might be a bad CS player for liking the "friendly" way this game approaches...but personally, if a game isn't fun and it's just made of frustration and constant complaining, it's not worth of my time and I easily quit it. A good remake, with a good learning curve this time. Expand
  12. Jun 23, 2013
    This may be the best version of Counterstrike, but by no means is it a perfect game.

I personally am not a big fan of the Counterstrike series, as the game is a good example of "the rich get richer". newbies often have little chance of doing well, as many seasoned players can almost instantly headshot you as you are running on the other side of the map. my opinion of this game is,

my opinion of this game is, its a fun distraction if you play against bots, dont expect to do good, as long-time players are the norm online... and the community isnt very friendly either... with people continually trolling and being annoying using the voip.
  13. Dec 11, 2013
    The graphics are cool, gameplay is nice, but the services are terrible. The game crashes for me, and doesn't matters how many fixes I look for on the internet, the crashes never stop. This has been a known problem for a long while, and Valve never cared to look at it. The Competitive Matchmaking can sometimes take nearly 20 minutes, and can sometimes can throw you in a server on anotherThe graphics are cool, gameplay is nice, but the services are terrible. The game crashes for me, and doesn't matters how many fixes I look for on the internet, the crashes never stop. This has been a known problem for a long while, and Valve never cared to look at it. The Competitive Matchmaking can sometimes take nearly 20 minutes, and can sometimes can throw you in a server on another country with a ping of 200, if the server has hackers or too high ping you can't leave it because the penalties for leaving a competitive game are atrocious (even if it was not your fault, like if the power went down or something like that happened. Yeah, the system can't see a difference if you were disconnected due an external influence, or if was your decision to click on the Exit Game button). The game has a lot of potential, but I am frustrated enough that I could ask Valve for a refund, if I could. Expand
  14. Jan 19, 2013
    The only thing good about CSGO are the slightly improved graphics and easy game find function, but that is all. CS1.6 was amazing when it came out. Then CSS was weird at first but eventually was just awesome. Finally CSGO comes out and I don't get it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed some parts of this game but overall the gameplay feels like a broken CSS.
  15. Sep 4, 2013
    While the game is fun and addicting, it seems way too different that CS: Source and CS 1.6, if you're going to play a CS game for the first time, go with CS: Source, then pick this up and compare.
  16. Apr 26, 2013
    Good remake with nice graphics but with so little new features sadly. I belive that valve could add something surprising and fixed the character movement, that is so artificial.
  17. Jul 20, 2013
    The Counter-Strike:Global Offensive is a great game the Counter-Strike:Global Offensives are well improve with it's new models,weapons,game modes,maps and game play. But the problem is the weapon draw sounds are the same and the old maps are not featured in the new generation of Counter-Strike.
  18. Dec 1, 2013
    To get it short, i expected something more than just the same content just with better graphics. Yes, the game is cheap but still. Its still the same old CS 1.6 just with some minor changes here and there. If you didnt like the predecessors there is no reason to like GO.
  19. Nov 28, 2013
    Great sequel to CSS, Good Graphics, game-play, competitive atmosphere is deeply endowed in what is one of the greatest FPS series of all time, only issue is Valve's incompetency in getting rid of hackers but always in line to create 90 new skins, the hacker base has grown in the past few days and I've seen at least 1 in my games every single day, casual or MM.
  20. Mar 26, 2014
    The game is really really good. Would have given the game 10 but i hate the micro transactions. The game has earned so well that all the items should have been free. Otherwise, well balanced weapons. The AWP really feels like a proper high caliber gun because you hit the enemy on any part of the body, he is bound to die. The side arms are a major improvement as they don't feel weakThe game is really really good. Would have given the game 10 but i hate the micro transactions. The game has earned so well that all the items should have been free. Otherwise, well balanced weapons. The AWP really feels like a proper high caliber gun because you hit the enemy on any part of the body, he is bound to die. The side arms are a major improvement as they don't feel weak anymore. Top notch weapon skins etc. One of the best multiplayer games i have ever played Expand
  21. Aug 22, 2012
    As others have said - this is indeed the same old game albeit with a new coat of paint. I feel gamers, especially those interested in competitive FPS have come along way since CS and its days of glory. I don't think this is so much a game of skill anymore, but a dated classic that isn't terribly relevant these days. Still, for the price it's fast, accessible and fun, but there is muchAs others have said - this is indeed the same old game albeit with a new coat of paint. I feel gamers, especially those interested in competitive FPS have come along way since CS and its days of glory. I don't think this is so much a game of skill anymore, but a dated classic that isn't terribly relevant these days. Still, for the price it's fast, accessible and fun, but there is much better out there... Expand
  22. Sep 13, 2012
    This is a primitive shooter. PRIMITIVE. I understand the viewpoint that some games shouldn't be updated, I can't argue against that, but there's a good reason why it costs 15 bucks. As an FPS experience it comes no where near to standing up next to its contemporaries. If it weren't for it's low price tag, this would be a zero. But at 15 dollars, it's a nice trip down memory lane. AndThis is a primitive shooter. PRIMITIVE. I understand the viewpoint that some games shouldn't be updated, I can't argue against that, but there's a good reason why it costs 15 bucks. As an FPS experience it comes no where near to standing up next to its contemporaries. If it weren't for it's low price tag, this would be a zero. But at 15 dollars, it's a nice trip down memory lane. And that's it. Expand
  23. Sep 19, 2012
    A very good refresh of the classic game. On one hand, there's minimal innovation -- its primarily a graphical update with some tighter game controls and some new modes of play. On the other hand, why mess with perfection? One great thing about Valve is that it doesn't milk its customers, they recongize that this is a revamp of an older game and they charge accordingly...$15 for a very goodA very good refresh of the classic game. On one hand, there's minimal innovation -- its primarily a graphical update with some tighter game controls and some new modes of play. On the other hand, why mess with perfection? One great thing about Valve is that it doesn't milk its customers, they recongize that this is a revamp of an older game and they charge accordingly...$15 for a very good first person shooter. At the moment I'm rating it a 7/10, primarily because there's nothing really new here and the modding community hasn't taken off (yet). This is a title that will grow over time, and potentially can become an 8 or 9 out of 10 i think. Why pay $60-80 a year for the latest ModernBattlefield of Duty when this $15 is all you need?. Expand
  24. Sep 9, 2012
    CS: GO ; Ultimately its lack of any ambition at all makes this a disappointing upgrade after waiting for so long however it does stay true to the Counter Strike formula - perhaps too true!

CS: GO is a small fine tuning release - its clear they had a mission of taking the Counter Strike 1.6 formula and making it look a little bit better than CS: Source. Largely this is true although I have yet to be in a game where player's did not make fun of the "mushroom head" looking counter terrorist hats (who signed off on THAT decision?)

But the over all level design quality, the lighting, the HDR effects, the model details, gun details are one notch better than CS: Source ; and I do mean ONE notch. And this speaks to the primary reason this reviewer doesn't score CS: GO higher than a 6 ; for a company as large as Valve and as popular of an online game as Counter Strike is ; to shoot for the floor for this upgrade is not impressive.

Gameplay in Counter Strike is largely enshrined by the online community and the competitive community as well. However this doesn't mean that many online FPS game's haven't made clear that certain improvements are necessary for balance.

In Counter Strike the team that wins the first match is often likely to win the majority (and some times all) of the remaining matches due to their demanding cash lead in the second round. The cash system which was once innovative is now punishing. Other shooters present leveling system present more persistent systems where the player can advance and earn better gear and weapons that allow the player to not be instantly dominated because the other team was able to afford AWP's across the board in the second or third round! This out dated model from the 90's would have been an extremely welcome upgrade but was utterly ignored (yet again). Players will have to either mod their own play mode or wait another decade for Valve to drink from the clue cup on this one.

Similarly long over due for review was the gun balance and "realism" (note the quotes around realism) of the combat model in Counter Strike.

I can not count the number of times players have done a jumping AWP head shot either on me, or while I watched a team mate do it to the other side.

The incredible over-powered one-shot instant kill power of this weapon should have been much more carefully tempered with a little bit of realism. Any player running or jumping should be given no chance at all to hit their target with a sniper rifle, and greatly reduced chances with reduced damage when walking. Other guns suffer from an array of problems from too wide of a spread (even when crouched) to too narrow and precise of a spread in all forms (AK-47 for example). With varying ranges of damage problems such as I shot a terrorist in the back with the FAMAS 5 times to have him turn around and head shot me with a Desert Eagle!

Counter Strike: Global Offensive was an opportunity to raise the bar for skilled gameplay in a team environment. Instead a minor graphic overhaul is supposed to satisfy us for 10 more years.

Thankfully the entry price was low enough it is still probably worth purchasing unless you are really enjoying your current version of COD then really this game's lack of maturity and modern balance leaves it desiring a lot more attention and may be worth skipping.
  25. Sep 28, 2012
    Definitely the weakest counter-strike game i've ever played. The movement is weak and frustrating at some points. The maps are bland and uninspired. The guns don't feel much different from one another besides the fact that a few of them are downright broken.

After playing this game for 5 hours i have absolutely no desire to revisit it again at any point in time. If you want to play a

If you want to play a counter-strike game i recommend just playing source.
  26. Oct 9, 2012
    A fun new spin on an old classic, revamped graphics, hit registry and weapons at such a low price really does make it a must for any counter strike veteran and non counter strike veteran alike.
  27. May 18, 2013
    Amazing game, major improvements and a lot of fun. But...also a lot of getting use to. People new to CS may have difficulties in trying to get better at the game. But that was me. And as time went on, i got use to it and played it on a regular basis. I've already put over 300 hours into it which is highly worth my time. Combat is a major improvement from CS Source, it is more smooth andAmazing game, major improvements and a lot of fun. But...also a lot of getting use to. People new to CS may have difficulties in trying to get better at the game. But that was me. And as time went on, i got use to it and played it on a regular basis. I've already put over 300 hours into it which is highly worth my time. Combat is a major improvement from CS Source, it is more smooth and flexible with it's own new guns and equipment. When you play this game, you will need to communicate with you team, work together and stick together in order to beat the other team. You will feel really good when you get a kill, and win a game. But this game can diffidently induce some rage into players. Playing with friends never felt better as it enhances your experience and makes the game stand out of what it was truly made to be. Over time this game can get boring as your doing the same thing over and over again. But i still think it is worth a try even if you are not a CS fan. Expand
  28. Oct 3, 2012
    CS:GO is ok, the graphics are good, new and better gun designs and a whole new refined experience, If you are a hard-core CS:S player then you might to think before buying this. In my opinion, this game has lost the 'Counter-Strike' charm that made it so popular in the first place. The good things about this is the new buying menu, where you move the mouse onto each slot, instead ofCS:GO is ok, the graphics are good, new and better gun designs and a whole new refined experience, If you are a hard-core CS:S player then you might to think before buying this. In my opinion, this game has lost the 'Counter-Strike' charm that made it so popular in the first place. The good things about this is the new buying menu, where you move the mouse onto each slot, instead of clicking, scrolling and getting shot before you even purchase your weapon. The game is also incredibly cheap ($15) on Steam. If you are new to the CS universe then get this, but if you are a CS:S player, you might need to reconsider. Expand
  29. Nov 13, 2012
    The game is much more harder compared to source. I'm not quite sure about the graphical update. Still, it remains a true Counter Strike game, it's just not that important compared to 1.6 and Source.
  30. Jul 3, 2013
    As a first CS player I feel like the game had its weak points and strong points.

Strong Points Overall competitive atmosphere Nice graphics Good gameplay Great community matchmaking Weak Points Unforgiving/sometimes constant lag Hit detection Body shots might as well be you throwing highly quality baby butt soft pillows With some tweaking this game can be anyone's wet

Strong Points

Overall competitive atmosphere
    Nice graphics
    Good gameplay
    Great community matchmaking

Weak Points

Unforgiving/sometimes constant lag
    Hit detection
    Body shots might as well be you throwing highly quality baby butt soft pillows

With some tweaking this game can be anyone's wet dream. As the game even offers casual and competitive modes. I enjoyed the game a lot and will continue the play whenever the mood strikes me.

In short, wait for a steam sale and get it.
  31. Aug 12, 2013
    i previously gave this game a 5 but i decided to change my mind because this game is worth more than a 5 ans is quite fun so i decided to change it to a 7.
  32. Nov 15, 2013
    Decent remake. Yes some could argue that it isnt CS or CSS but those two were also quite different to begin with. Nobody forces you to buy it. Thus an retail version would have been nice since iam against DRM BS. Still refreshing from thousands of hours CS and CSS.
  33. Nov 17, 2013
    If you are expecting something as revolutionary, or amazing as CS 1.6 and CS:S, This isn't the game for you. It takes a different outlook on the CS series. Standalone; this game is good; though it doesn't lead up to the expectations of the previous CS.
  34. Sep 27, 2012
    Its CS:Source with not as clean graphics. There's almost zero reason to get this over 1.6 or source (because both are better games than GO) GO tries to merge the two communities and earn a buck in the process but this game is to cluttered to make it to the big stage imo. A lot of stuff has been reused, like sounds, certain objects is directly takes from cs source which makes the game feelIts CS:Source with not as clean graphics. There's almost zero reason to get this over 1.6 or source (because both are better games than GO) GO tries to merge the two communities and earn a buck in the process but this game is to cluttered to make it to the big stage imo. A lot of stuff has been reused, like sounds, certain objects is directly takes from cs source which makes the game feel old already. If you must have a "new" fps experience, then sure why not, its still CS but I would recommend something else. Expand
  35. Apr 26, 2015
    - average graphics
    - no killcam
    - mostly the same maps - camping is rewarded (except in deathmatch maybe) - AWP seems OP - something is wrong with netcode/spread when firing from short distance I prefer CSS. I've started playing CS1.3 15 years ago and I liked the graphic improvements and new maps in CSS but I don't really get why CS:GO seems popular. As of 2015, you can get BF3/BF4
    - average graphics
    - no killcam
    - mostly the same maps
    - camping is rewarded (except in deathmatch maybe)
    - AWP seems OP
    - something is wrong with netcode/spread when firing from short distance

I prefer CSS. I've started playing CS1.3 15 years ago and I liked the graphic improvements and new maps in CSS but I don't really get why CS:GO seems popular. As of 2015, you can get BF3/BF4 for almost the same price as CS:GO. I can understand that CS:GO can be more competitive since it's infantry only, etc. It's probably the only good point in my humble opinion. The graphics look outdated, the UI is so-so, people are still playing the same maps 15 years later ... I don't get it. I'm pretty sure if you take the time to search, you can find some interesting modes and maps in this game but I've not found any. Personally I prefer Battlefield and Titanfall, sold at the same price currently. There is no killcam, come on. The casual mode is the one I prefer so far, I hate friendly fire. This FPS rewards camping too much when compared because of the size of the maps, the weapon available and the spread when moving.
  36. Nov 22, 2012
    CS:GO was a response to CS:S being outdated, but I don't see the work in the many years of development in this game. The graphics are absolutely astonishing, and so is the gameplay. However, I don't see any new mechanics that weren't in the old Counter Strike. A helicopter flying away for a couple seconds on de_dust means "new graphic visuals", I guess. The game isn't too re-playableCS:GO was a response to CS:S being outdated, but I don't see the work in the many years of development in this game. The graphics are absolutely astonishing, and so is the gameplay. However, I don't see any new mechanics that weren't in the old Counter Strike. A helicopter flying away for a couple seconds on de_dust means "new graphic visuals", I guess. The game isn't too re-playable either, I got rather bored of it within a couple weeks. There is a severe lack of maps, and most of the maps are graphic updates to maps we have had since 1.6. This game isn't going to change anyone 's minds; if you were a fan of CS in the first place, you will like it. If you are looking for something new, you won't find it. But besides the point, CS:GO updates the Counter Strike community and is well worth the money, just don't be surprised if you don't find too many changes. Collapse
  37. Apr 1, 2013
    The gameplay is not as revolutionary as anticipated. However, still playable and enjoyable as a game. The good features and gears from CS1.6 has been left out and it's basically the original with new graphics, gameplay-wise, it's hardly exciting. However the price is very reasonable for the contents provided, and the graphic is actually not as demanding for your system as it may appear to be.
  38. Sep 20, 2013
    Good game and extreme variety of maps and community maps. The only problem in game is RESPAWN in DM. Random respawn can turn a FPS game in lucky game because with lucky, you will have serious advantage and without lucky, will die, die, die and die again because people spawning behind u.
  39. Aug 9, 2013
    It is an improved Counter-Strike over Source, but there are a large number of problems. Getting kicked out of competitive or leaving in the middle of the round can result in a time-out, accuracy problems, hardware problems and more. However it is still Counter-Strike from deep within, and I like playing it. It just needs to be a little bit reworked.
  40. Apr 27, 2014
    In my opinion an overrated fps that doesn't bring anything new to the genre and is not particularly better than other similar games. The gameplay in general can be fun, but maybe not enough to make true lovers of the fps genre stay for more than 30 hours (cult fans coming from CS:Source might play for the rest of their lives though), the UI is simple and sufficient, the maps are goodIn my opinion an overrated fps that doesn't bring anything new to the genre and is not particularly better than other similar games. The gameplay in general can be fun, but maybe not enough to make true lovers of the fps genre stay for more than 30 hours (cult fans coming from CS:Source might play for the rest of their lives though), the UI is simple and sufficient, the maps are good enough and it's very easy to find a room to play.
    My biggest complain about this game is the lack of consistency of it's weapons. I know not all games are supposed to feel realistic but when grenades only have a 2m damage radius, ak-47 shoots like m416 and snipers can be shot as easily as shooting a pistol, I just get thrown off.
  41. Dec 29, 2013
    A solid upgrade to the Counter-Strike series. GO contains basically just revamped maps, weapons, and UI elements along with a store for you to buy cosmetic items. This isn't a sequel so it doesn't offer much innovation, but it is priced appropriately. The core mechanics still need to be tuned up to bring this series into its next generation.
  42. Dec 11, 2012
    For those wanting a back-to-basics multiplayer shooter or a more polished version of Counter-Strike: Source, CS:GO might be right up your alley. If you're looking for drastic changes over the previous Counter-Strikes or you enjoy unlocking weapon and perk unlocks, then don't bother.
  43. Jan 19, 2014
    This is a great CS game, with some serious infrastructure problems.
    1. This game feels like source with upgraded graphics and a better rewards system, competitive play, items etc which is awesome 9/10
    This is a great CS game, with some serious infrastructure problems.
    2. There are huge infrastructure problems such as an update takes place and right away wait times for games increase to 10 minutes and something even 2 - 3 hours. This is terrible and the worst part is that there is no real outlet to direct your frustration to because valve doesn't really care about its players. No one ever responds to you on the steam support forums, the issue is ignored when/until it fixes itself. This is a real problem that Valve has to deal with, as a customer that bought their game I expect them to support me, if they don't, I will gladly go to play Call of Duty or battlefield... 2/10
    Therefore I give it 5/10, awesome game and very bad infrastructure, what a combo....
  44. Nov 12, 2012
    Never played the original. The game is exceptionally fun, but seems to have a lot of issues. First off, having a high ping seems to make the game exceptionally easier, which is unfair to other players. Next I haven't been able to get into the competitive matchmaking, huge shame there. Finally for a competitive title the leaderboard seems messed up. Not up to Valves typical quality.
  45. Jan 17, 2013
    Pelo tempo que demorou a lançar... e a falta de inovação... a note deveria ser até menor. Decepcionado, o Source sem mostra bem melhor.
  46. Feb 14, 2013
    It's nothing more than an HD improved version of CSS. There isn't really nothing new except two new modes and better graphics. The price is cheap, but I don't suggest you buying it if you aren't much of a Counter Strike fan.
  47. May 15, 2013
    Not ye CS of olde, I've been following this game since beta and it has yet to satisfy me after 300 hours of play. Despite appearing as a nice visual update, the game actually has very unsound gameplay mechanics that don't do justice to the CS name. However much I periodically enjoy the strategy elements, the occasionally well-made maps, the new and useful additions like a sawed offNot ye CS of olde, I've been following this game since beta and it has yet to satisfy me after 300 hours of play. Despite appearing as a nice visual update, the game actually has very unsound gameplay mechanics that don't do justice to the CS name. However much I periodically enjoy the strategy elements, the occasionally well-made maps, the new and useful additions like a sawed off shotgun, molotov decoy grenades etc. I am always brought back to the fundamentally flawed gameplay that, for concision, just doesn't feel right. The original CS was a fun game that you could relax to while playing-- whereas GO is a fundamentally quicker game, the players accelerate faster and the gunplay is faster, requiring an almost spastic degree of reflex to remain in the game. Headshots are more prevalent than in the original and can be quite random; you will often get headshot by players who are simply spraying their gun at you rather than carefully aiming.

On the plus side, it's quite possible to see the game as having a bright future, but thus far the developers have shown themselves to be alarmingly complacent about the game's core inadequacies
  48. Dec 19, 2014
    I really want to recommend this game. It's a more immersive shooter than any of the Call of Duty series, and the way the game is made requires logical thinking and tactical strategies to win rounds with your teammates. When the game goes well, it's buckets of fun.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this game to newcomers. There are many reasons for this. First of all, unless you plan to mill around in deathmatch or the other lesser-played game modes (so anything but casual/competitive), you're going to die, a lot. And then you wait. You watch your uncooperative anonymous Russian teammates slowly break apart and lose the rounds in the most ludicrious fashion. If you can stand the game long enough to become half decent at it, you may find that you can often shoot someone in the head, literally tracing the bullet into their cranium, only to see that it doesn't register the hit due to the sub-standard 64 tickrate matchmaking servers and/or your West Country internet connection, thus falling victim to yet another unfair situation. If your internet connection is not the problem, you may try using ESEA or Faceit to play your competitive matches with. So you can pay more to play the game for no benefit other than to escape the crap quality of the standard servers, or faff about on Faceit, waiting for the afk team captains to pick maps, or the other team to cower away during the initial deciding knife round. After a few bad experiences, I've decided that Faceit isn't worth the hassle. Playing competitive also puts you in danger of not only numerous wallhackers, but mainly these things called smurfs. Put the image of the little happy blue creature out of you head: these are the players with a high rank than make second accounts to play against easier opponents. It's that simple, yet it's infuriating and game-destroying for us lower ranked players. And when you discover this in a competitive game, your only choices are to stay there and endure it, gradually losing your sanity, or take a competitive ban. If you're lucky enough to have decent friends, they may just kick you from the game, sparing you of either choice.

Having played almost 3 solid week's worth of the game in total, I have accumulated a wide friend group who also shares my pain, but we still play together for the social side. This is when I can recommend the game, if you've already played a lot of it and have many friends that also play the game. If you're new, and have less patience than a special forces marksman, you're going to hate this game. I hope that if you decide to play this game, you take my advice with a pinch of salt, as I am admittedly easily riled up in the heat of the moment, but if you too go ape, you only have yourself to blame.

Also, look out for skin collecting. I've been caught by it, it saps a lot of your money, and is literally an addiction. Not a good one like playing a great game or crack cocaine, one that's ultimately utterly pointless.
  49. Jan 31, 2015
    AWESOME! The whole game is good, but the whole game has a lot of errors, like the **** music kits and those annoying **** settings, there's no setting to mute the music, what a terrible menu design, loading times are ridiculous, spawn system in deathmatch is a joke, the music is beautiful. the gameplay much more fluid than previous counter strike titles, it's just feels great and very fun,AWESOME! The whole game is good, but the whole game has a lot of errors, like the **** music kits and those annoying **** settings, there's no setting to mute the music, what a terrible menu design, loading times are ridiculous, spawn system in deathmatch is a joke, the music is beautiful. the gameplay much more fluid than previous counter strike titles, it's just feels great and very fun, new modes to play, amazing updates, masks, weapons skins, new and better maps. this is awesome.

Good (+):
    + Amazing gameplay and hitbox detection
    +Marvelous music and sound effects
    +New amazing features, such as new maps and skins
    +Best gaming comunity out there (not 10 yrs old like cod aw)
    +A lot of good improvements

Bad (-):
    - Voice acting is very bad
    - A lot of problems with some servers
  50. Dec 22, 2014
    Although this is counter strike, its not a good counter strike. This game is full of a bunch of call of duty players now, and the gun play is pretty bad. I miss the classic counter strike: source style. Sneak around, and have a good team strategy, now it's just run and gun, and have people threaten to ddos you for being good. This game could have been done way better, and it shouldAlthough this is counter strike, its not a good counter strike. This game is full of a bunch of call of duty players now, and the gun play is pretty bad. I miss the classic counter strike: source style. Sneak around, and have a good team strategy, now it's just run and gun, and have people threaten to ddos you for being good. This game could have been done way better, and it should have stayed true to the classic counter strike style. Expand
  51. Jun 2, 2014
    This game is good but it has some problems.,That VAC system is useless..Sometimes in competitive i play with retards that are cheating and peoples ranks are going down..In rest the game is good but never perfect.
  52. Jun 5, 2014
    Overall a lot of fun- BUT so many bugs! Mouse disappearing, crosshair disappearing, crashing of the game, etc. It is a bit ridiculous. I expected a game with such high ratings to be more stable than this............
  53. Jul 25, 2014
    Отличная игра,так же и в разделе киберспорт.Это,как говорил 400кг,отличная замена 1.6.Всё просто великолепно,добавили соревновательный режим.Почему же 7?Потому что в игре просто ужасная система банов в соревновательном режиме.Вас могут забанить на 7 дней даже за то,что вас часто кикали!Или если вы будете часто попадать по своим,то есть вы можете вообще случайно убить своего,и всё,7 днейОтличная игра,так же и в разделе киберспорт.Это,как говорил 400кг,отличная замена 1.6.Всё просто великолепно,добавили соревновательный режим.Почему же 7?Потому что в игре просто ужасная система банов в соревновательном режиме.Вас могут забанить на 7 дней даже за то,что вас часто кикали!Или если вы будете часто попадать по своим,то есть вы можете вообще случайно убить своего,и всё,7 дней бана!А так игра хорошая. Expand
  54. Oct 31, 2014
    Ah, another attempt to replace the amazing Counter Strike mod from the Half Life days, ending with 1.6. Back in 2004 Counter Strike: Source (CSS for short) was released and people were amazed with the vast improvements. What improvements you ask? That's what we were all confused about back in 2004. Yes the game obviously looked far better now running on the brand new source engine, butAh, another attempt to replace the amazing Counter Strike mod from the Half Life days, ending with 1.6. Back in 2004 Counter Strike: Source (CSS for short) was released and people were amazed with the vast improvements. What improvements you ask? That's what we were all confused about back in 2004. Yes the game obviously looked far better now running on the brand new source engine, but what else other then that?

People were hesitant on switching over, as they had become accustom to the greatness of 1.6.

As people switched we realized they had removed much from the original game or had changed it so that it felt completely different. Now different isn't always a bad thing, but when you remove certain things, it can be.

But were not here to talk about CSS, were here to talk about the most recent installment of Counter Strike.

Now they have made vast improvements with the game, but it also suffers some major issues, at least in match making.

Once again Valve fails to put a region lock on another match making game, so we are playing with people from Brazil, Mexico, China and others. And i have mentioned in other reviews its not where the people are located is the issue (normally unless someone has 500+ ping and makes it so you cant even hit them) its the different languages that is the issue. CSGO is reliant on communication in competitive play to know where people are at, when they are rotating, when we see bomb and so on and so forth. When we cant make simple calls, it ruins the goal of the game.

Another issue is that CSGO is plagued with people using paid hacks, yes paid costing upwards to 120 dollars for a 6 month subscription so that they can beat you in match making. When you see someone on the other team spinning circles while running down long A and getting all head-shots you know its not going to be a fun game.

Many of the guns have been changed as far as spray patterns, damage, accuracy, and others which is okay, but i feel they are trying to hard to make every gun viable instead of balancing the most important guns.

Overall it makes vast improvements over CSS and CS Pro Mod, but it still has a way to go to live up to the original CS. If you get some friends that like playing and you do match making with them, you're sure to have a good time.
  55. Nov 24, 2014
    Nice update to graphics, like most people here I've been playing since 1.6, played mostly source. I used to scout exclusively in source but GO has completely change accuracy, speed, zoom ... basically everything about the scout sucks now ... disappointed.
  56. Feb 2, 2015
    Counter-Strike 1.6 had great glory, Source not so much. Now it's CS:GO's turn to shake the tables.
    Well, I am not impressed.
    To start it off with the positive side of the game: - Great gameplay, as with CS 1.6. It has some balancing issues. - Fun maps to play, some have balancing issues as well. - Great game to play with friends... (when possible). - Great audio, to determine
    Well, I am not impressed.

To start it off with the positive side of the game:
    - Great gameplay, as with CS 1.6. It has some balancing issues.
    - Fun maps to play, some have balancing issues as well.
    - Great game to play with friends... (when possible).
    - Great audio, to determine location of other players.
    - Nice game modes.

Which leads me to the negative side of this game.
    - How on earth are you able to play with friends that have a higher ranking OR are not ranked yet.
    They allow you to play 2 games, if you win or lose doesn't matter. At some point, you cannot play with your friends anymore.
    Some of my friends have 2/3 new accounts to be able to play in a group...
    - Some maps are unbalanced, like Cobblestone.
    - Weapon reg. is not the same as CS 1.6, which was really good (and hard to play).
    - Wall banging is completely random.

The most frustrating thing is that the game tells you, you cannot play with friends...

It still deserves a positive score, so 6/10 points.
    Even though it's a team game.
  57. Jul 26, 2015
    It's a competitive FPS game.
    The game looks fine for the year was released, the movement is fluid but the hit detection may be weird for players without experience. The game keep updating with operations and changes, the profesional world of this game is big and is getting bigger everytime.
    Hitbox are really really bad, but Valve may change it in a future. The skin stuff is really
    It's a competitive FPS game.
    Hitbox are really really bad, but Valve may change it in a future.
    The skin stuff is really stupid, a lot of people (including me) pay a lot for a expensive skin, and it's totally unecesary.
    The game isn't bad, is fine if you are looking for a competitive game, but if you prefer a more casual FPS i recommend Call of Duty or Battlefield
  58. Jan 30, 2015
    I would rate higher but unless you are playing with a group of friends, you run the risk of being abused by other players--Don't get me wrong, my experience is predominantly positive BUT when you are unlucky-enough to be stuck with that type of people i just want to turn my computer off.
  59. Feb 7, 2015
    I like first person shooters, but this game based off the counter strike franchise that already made several counter strike games and is just the same thing again. Don't get me wrong, I love counter strike and the graphics and gameplay are new and more impressive, but I would like to see something different and more exciting rather than the same counter-terrorists versus terorrists andI like first person shooters, but this game based off the counter strike franchise that already made several counter strike games and is just the same thing again. Don't get me wrong, I love counter strike and the graphics and gameplay are new and more impressive, but I would like to see something different and more exciting rather than the same counter-terrorists versus terorrists and humans versus zombie modes. Expand
  60. Mar 22, 2015
    Counter Strike Global Offensive gives the player the typical two options for teams. Terrorists, and counter terrorists. Upon obtaining a kill, or respawn, the player is given newer weapons to hasten an objective. Both team obtain their own different variant of weapons to deal with the opposing force during the many maps they include during gameplay.
  61. Mar 23, 2015
    I am not gonna lie this game is pretty fun and has a unique feel unlike any other fps shooter I have played. The problem is the people that play the game and the community. I have had friends and teammates cuss me out and yell at me for the simplest things. Very rarely will you find a team that will not yell at you. Decent game if it wasn't for the community.
  62. Jul 11, 2015
    If looking past all the skins, scamming and a **** community, all you're left with is a, well pretty good game actually. Even thought Counter Strike has now existed for over 15 years, the newest release gets updated almost on a weekly basis.

Even though those updates do not change a lot about the game, they're usually minor bug fixes or SKINS CASES.. which I said I was not going to talk about.

So besides all the work valve put in the updates, the game actually runs pretty amazing looking at your regular system requirements of most of the games today, CSGO doesn't ask for a lot.

Even though there are some huge errors with hitboxes while planting/jumping/climbing up ladders, the gameplay is pretty darn good, nothing that's overly impressive, except the fact of how easy it is to play, but how hard it is to master, which it gets perfectly, or got perfectly as we see the game get more and more friendly to new players, which will only downgrade it in my book.

The rating system used to be pretty interesting until gold nova players managed to hit legendary eagle and above, and be considered the best in the game, and global elite got overcrowded because of the VAC waves. Which are an amazing thing, which means that cheaters are get banned and valve cares about them, but they could've easily implemented a way to not ruin the ranking system in the process.

The competitive game mode is done almost perfectly, and besides that for new and unexperienced players there's a lot more ways you can play the game other than competitive, you have deathmatch, arms race, casual and many more community made game modes.

Yes. You have a community workshop in which you can basically create your own maps and gamemodes. I tried my hand on this, and honestly the source engine makes anyone who's willing to put some effort into map making, able to earn serious money from valve if their map is good enough.

All that combined results in a fairly good game, not nearly something you can call an amazing or a perfect game, but most certainly a game worth buying, because of it's low price tag. Don't spend your money on skins though, don't let the cheap price swindle you into spending thousands of dollars on those F**CKING SKINS!
  63. Nov 22, 2012

Brilliant old-school shooter has convinced us that Counter-Strike franchise is in no way to be retired or forgotten. [Oct 2012]
  2. Oct 24, 2012
    A fast, demanding shooter with a huge potential for the future. It's basically CS: Source, but the maps are more polished and the game looks better. [11/2012, p.64]
  3. Oct 14, 2012
    For a non-professional Counter-Striker, Global Offensive is just a cosmetic facelift, with re-run levels. [Sept 2012]