7.9

1. Dec 10, 2012
    A wonderful mix of both 1.6 and Source. If you liked either of those games or if you're looking for a more advanced, team-based shooter, this could(should) be it.

The only reason this game receives a 9.5 and not a 10 from me (rounded up on the metacritic scale) is because they released it too early with too many little features that make CS so loveable omitted. (tagging, flashlight, silencer etc)

After 300 hours of this (including beta), CS:GO has still not lost its charm on me. Weather I feel like playing GunGame, pubbing, some obscure mod, or playing competitively, this game always has something for you to do.

This game offers a really awesome competitive matchmaking system. You will sometimes get matched with baddies, but other than that, its a really cool way to introduce people to the competitive side of CS. It generally works well and it is primarily what I play. It is also nice to not have to pay for ESEA if you want to play semi-competitively. Once you increase your rank a bit, you will often be matched with like-minded people who want to win and will carry out strategies and be generally vocal in-game.

Mind the hate this game receives from 1.6 and Source players who can't fathom moving onto a new game. They have some sort of hard-on for disliking CS:GO without any legitimate reasoning to back it up. It's a great game and I would highly recommend it for both casual and competitive players.

9.5/10
  2. Aug 21, 2012
    This is the best Counter Strike TO DATE. They added two forms of gun game, excellent graphics, fun gameplay, a better buying menu + more guns! Defiantly worth the $15 (cheap!)
  3. Aug 21, 2012
    The game has much new guns, better graphics, new gamemodes and more. It didnt lose the typical CS-Style which makes it good. But there is one thing, which isnt good: MATCHMAKING The good thing is, it isn't peer to peer matchmaking, the bad thing: you can't use servers from the server browser for your statistics. What I also like, is that I don't have to unlock every gun! From theThe game has much new guns, better graphics, new gamemodes and more. It didnt lose the typical CS-Style which makes it good. But there is one thing, which isnt good: MATCHMAKING The good thing is, it isn't peer to peer matchmaking, the bad thing: you can't use servers from the server browser for your statistics. What I also like, is that I don't have to unlock every gun! From the beginning, everybody can buy every gun! You don't have to level up, or play against lvl 100- overpowered weapons! Overall its a good "remake" with good graphics. Expand
  4. Aug 21, 2012
    Awesome. Better graphics, new guns that have been update from CSS, and the game itself is similar to CSS, which in my opinion is a great thing. Hopefully with this release there will be a larger community than there already is for Counter-Strike. I'm not sure if it is similar to 1.6 as I have never played it. Anyways, great game and it's only $15.
  5. Aug 21, 2012
    This game is amazing. It seems like Valve has listened to the fans complaints about how CS:Source modified the basic game-play of Counter-Strike and made this version a way more similar to CS:1.6. Just played the beta yesterday for the first time and bought the game without thinking twice. This one will be HUGE. Thank you Valve for DotA 2, thank you Valve for CS 1.6 and now thank youThis game is amazing. It seems like Valve has listened to the fans complaints about how CS:Source modified the basic game-play of Counter-Strike and made this version a way more similar to CS:1.6. Just played the beta yesterday for the first time and bought the game without thinking twice. This one will be HUGE. Thank you Valve for DotA 2, thank you Valve for CS 1.6 and now thank you Valve for CS:GO. Cross Platform will be sick! Expand
  6. Aug 23, 2012
    I love this game! never played CS games before but CS-GO is the game i was waiting for. For 10$ i can only recommend it. Great positive is. You dont need high end machine to play it. Even old ati 3850 with 256mb of memory can handle this game on full hd with decent framerate.
  7. Aug 21, 2012
    In a way there's not a lot of point in reviewing this. It is the best counterstrike version by a wide margin, and the new modes such as arms race are face-melting-ly good. But if you hate counterstrike this won't change your mind.
    If you're an old school fan like me and you want it to feel new again like it did back in 99 then this is TOTALLY the game for you!
  8. Aug 22, 2012
    Great game, they took everything that needed to be changed with the old cs and made it better, while keeping all that makes the series fun and exciting true to Counter Strike. Love this game same great gameplay and style with great smooth graphics, highly recommend to any non elitist.
  9. Aug 22, 2012
    After playing source for a few years, I was delighted to hear the announcement of CS:GO and this game does not disappoint those who are familiar with the franchise. Global Offensive brings a range of new features that makes the game easier for those who want to learn how to play, the new 'Weapons Course' mode will help newbies get the hang of the very basics of the game while new modesAfter playing source for a few years, I was delighted to hear the announcement of CS:GO and this game does not disappoint those who are familiar with the franchise. Global Offensive brings a range of new features that makes the game easier for those who want to learn how to play, the new 'Weapons Course' mode will help newbies get the hang of the very basics of the game while new modes such as 'Arms Race' and 'Demolition' is targeted towards the more casual player. For anyone who is yet to play, this game is not your generic shooter and practice is a must! One of the huge disappointments to CSS and 1.6 is the fact that you had to use an external website to have a competitive match, this is not the case with GO as Valve has implemented a new 5v5 competitive mode which allows more experienced players to enjoy the Counter Strike series as they know it. Graphically the game has taken a huge overhaul and now looks better than ever with new lighting effects, an intuitive new buy menu and a hud that is more efficiant than any of the previous games. However in comparison to other modern shooters, the graphics are not perfect but who has ever played CS for its graphics?

The movement speed is different to previous games and will take a little bit of time to get used to as well as the new hitboxes which I used to disagree with but after many patches in the beta, Valve have constantly tweaked the game to what the community want to see. Your old favorite weapons are still there including the AK, M4A4 (don't worry its pretty much the M4A1) and the AWP as well as new weapons such as the Nova, Tec-9 and Molotov/ Incidinary grenade all feel at home and take little time to get used to. As usual, the map design is incredible and it is a pleasure to see your old favourites re-designed to suit the game. Barely any important locations have changed but Valve are still able to give them all a new fresh feel. The new maps that are featured in Arms Race and Demolition are not my scene but suit the style of game mode that they are for. During the beta there were invisible walls above the maps which prevented players from using the old nade spots however I believe that Valve has now patched this.

The game servers are solid and over the 100+ hours that I have already played, I have disconnected very little and to be fair it was probably my fault not theirs. The only critisism I have is that I have seen no evidence of servers matching your skill level with others, this creates a problem when professionals with plenty of hours of play are joined with a team of beginers who think it is a great idea to join a 'Competitive' game. This causes a lot of rage quiters and when you end up playing a full game, you will notice your team emptying for a few rounds before others join. Valve has left the game highly moddable for the community to create their own servers and game modes if they so please and I look forward to seeing what modders can do with the game. Zombies is already confirmed as a mod for the game. Overall the game is awesome and I know that I will play 1000+ hours for the next few years. It is definately still a Counter Strike game and anyone that is a little sceptical is either a 1.6 player who refuses to change the way they play or you need to give it a little more time. And for $15 how can anyone go wrong?
  10. Aug 21, 2012
    Some people say this game is like source, I would say it's more like 1.6, and 1.6 is the best! But this game really gets up to par with 1.6. I highly recommend this game. It really captured the essence of 1.6!
  11. Aug 21, 2012
    Tengo el juego desde el 16 de agosto y me ha parecido muy bueno, cuando me envicio en un juego es cuando me doy cuenta de lo bueno que esta. Llevo 35 horas jugadas y no me decepcionó. Además doy por echo que las cosas que le faltan (linterna, silenciador. etc.) vendran con las actualizaciones. Jugabilidad: exelente, algunos se quejan, pero yo creo que es más realistaTengo el juego desde el 16 de agosto y me ha parecido muy bueno, cuando me envicio en un juego es cuando me doy cuenta de lo bueno que esta. Llevo 35 horas jugadas y no me decepcionó. Además doy por echo que las cosas que le faltan (linterna, silenciador. etc.) vendran con las actualizaciones. Jugabilidad: exelente, algunos se quejan, pero yo creo que es más realista que nunca, pegar heads con metralleta es algo q puede pasar. Tecnologia: 10 puntos. Estamos hablando de Source. En mi opinion el mejor motor grafico de todos, a pesar de tener sus años, si fisica es la mejor. Graficos: No es un Cod pero un gamer no aprecia su juego por este punto. Sonido: exelente pues gracias al Source engine 2012 Innovación: Como trato de seguir la misma linea que los anteriores, no trae muchas cosas nuevas, hasta ahora, algunas armas y mapas. Pero esto con las futuras actualizaciones ya se verá! MUY RECOMENDABLE! Expand
  12. Aug 21, 2012
    $15 for this classic remake is huge value!

People myself included bought Half-Life for the CS mod back in the day. This game improves on the CSS graphics and maps, the added match making needs a few improvements but its good to fire off a 5v5 competitive game which normally you had to PUG for. The weapon changes I don't think where needed, but it's ok. And makes for a new set of
    $15 for this classic remake is huge value!

People myself included bought Half-Life for the CS mod back in the day.

The weapon changes I don't think where needed, but it's ok. And makes for a new set of things to figure out and test. Lots of the old players don't like change it's as simple as that, instead of seeing it as a challenge.

The graphics COULD be better, but again its $15 and they targets multiple platforms and markets, they want the game to play for everyone and thats what it does, everyone in CS world wants huge amounts of FPS, so they get it with a bit less detail here and there. The main thing lacking I would say is tessellation or parallax mapping. Apart from that it's a much nicer looking game over CSS.

$15! its a steal for such fun multiplayer action, now with more game modes added in and maps.
  13. Aug 21, 2012
    Like most Valve games, just outside the game takes a while for updates, what I mean is that I give the game still not finished, as the CSS in 2004, there were many changes that were improvements to make a better game. Well, this counter-strike I give my thumbs up, pretty good, new signs (if you kill him through) new weapons, new tactics grenades ... Updated graphics ... etc ... and yetLike most Valve games, just outside the game takes a while for updates, what I mean is that I give the game still not finished, as the CSS in 2004, there were many changes that were improvements to make a better game. Well, this counter-strike I give my thumbs up, pretty good, new signs (if you kill him through) new weapons, new tactics grenades ... Updated graphics ... etc ... and yet also with the help of the community with the beta testers and those changing hands They were exposed in the game along with hidden patch, the oldest in the series. Finally, a game kills hours, the FPS simplest but most entertaining I've ever seen, at a very affordable price. Thoroughly recommended. Expand
  14. Aug 21, 2012
    This is Counter-Strike. If you don't like Counter-Strike, GET OUT. The three negative reviews expected something other than Counter-Strike. I could never get into Counter-Strike because of how you are either a total noob at the bottom of the scoreboards or a pro who can kill the entire team in 5 seconds. And it takes hundreds of hours of boredom to get good. In CSGO, that all changes. I'mThis is Counter-Strike. If you don't like Counter-Strike, GET OUT. The three negative reviews expected something other than Counter-Strike. I could never get into Counter-Strike because of how you are either a total noob at the bottom of the scoreboards or a pro who can kill the entire team in 5 seconds. And it takes hundreds of hours of boredom to get good. In CSGO, that all changes. I'm actually having fun. The graphics are the best Valve has done, the UI is very clean, and the new voice acting is actually pretty good. The recoil and hit detection changed, and now instead of dying as soon as I see an enemy I actually use cover, throw grenades, and more. It's a much more active game. The new maps are the best ever made in Counter-Strike. They are very vertical, which encourages flanking, tactics, risk vs reward, and more. The Arsenal Demolition mode is possibly the best idea ever for a game. The inexperienced have a chance of fighting back against pros, because AK47s and P90s deals more damage than a P2000. The pros feel a sense of accomplishment and play just to see how far they can go. I don't care much for the gungame (A CS original, CoD stole it), but it's rather well done. The new weapons and balancing really make the 12 year old game feel brand new. I didn't care much for the casual mode, as it is only very small changes. And, IT'S $15. IT'S 1/4 OF THE PRICE OF A NEW CALL OF DUTY GAME, AND IT OFFERS SOMETHING THEY DON'T HAVE (GOOD CORE GAMEPLAY). If you want Counter-Strike, don't hesitate to buy it. Expand
  15. Aug 22, 2012
    I have been having a ton of fun with this game. It's a big upgrade from CSS. The guns feel amazing and the graphics are fantastic! I can't get enough of the new Demolition mode! If you need a reason own a PC and a Steam account, this is it. It's only $15, and all planned DLC is going to be free. FREE! Go get this right now!
  16. Aug 21, 2012
    Great game. Very similar to CSS but for only 15$, who's complaining? The gameplay in myy opinion is better than CSS because of the added gun recoil and enhanced visual. Overall an awesome. game.
  17. Nov 30, 2012
    Ok, guys. The game is better than I expected. Better graphic but the most important thing is the core gameplay is still remain the same. Bought at Steam worth $7! Definite must buy game...:)
  18. Sep 14, 2013
    At first i was a little skeptical being a source fan but i actually came to like this game playing classic competitive mode with friends. its painfully frustrating when your loosing but its invigorating when your playing well. making this game was a bold move by valve considering the large css community but they pulled it off really well.
  19. Nov 7, 2013
    Arguably the best Counter-Strike ever made this version keep the core of the game-play that made the first version popular and add features and innovations that make it really great.
  20. Dec 15, 2013
    This game is unbelievably competitive, addicting, fast paced, fun. If you like a game that is really requiring your skills, this is the game that you wanted.
  21. Mar 12, 2014
    Although the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is so ambitious, it cannot reach its succeed like the Counter-Strike.however, we can see Valve had put a lot of effort to make this game to be perfect.In addition, it is a good game.
  22. May 24, 2014
    When it came out it was full of bugs and simple.
    Everyday I'd get here with an update to download, and each update the game would go better.
    Awesome gameplay, servers, badges, etc.

Recommended for sure! Addiction guaranteed! (mostly on competitive matches!)
  23. Jul 9, 2014
    Counter Strike Global Offensive es un shooter que de verdad ah superado las expectativas en todos los sentidos, ah brindado una muy buena interacción de usuario y personaje, muy bien logrados los mapas antiguos y clásicos mezclados con la nueva esencia gráfica de este increíble juego y el diseño de las armas mas que espectacular, sobre todo las armas que incluyen mensualmente en laCounter Strike Global Offensive es un shooter que de verdad ah superado las expectativas en todos los sentidos, ah brindado una muy buena interacción de usuario y personaje, muy bien logrados los mapas antiguos y clásicos mezclados con la nueva esencia gráfica de este increíble juego y el diseño de las armas mas que espectacular, sobre todo las armas que incluyen mensualmente en la workshop actualmente. Un juego altamente recomendable por la gran cantidad de horas que tiene para ofrecerte. Un juego que de verdad mantiene esa esencia que todos disfrutabamos del 1.6 aún mejorada para que podamos pegarnos vicios largos de tardes o noches sin pensar en nada mas que matar, la verdad espectacular 9/10

Detalles extra: Me encantaron algunos detalles que han implementado que me sorprendieron bastante como el efecto de Zoom-in del Awp o de la Aug / SG. Muy bien logrado.
  24. Aug 28, 2012
    Great Game. It's only 15 bucks, the price of a map pack. This is like a fully updated counter strike game. It retains the core elements of the original counter strike like classic competitive mode, but it's also got a new, fresh feel to it. The arms race gamemode is more fun than gungame from CS:S imho. The recoils are different and there are some new things like molotovs, which just spiceGreat Game. It's only 15 bucks, the price of a map pack. This is like a fully updated counter strike game. It retains the core elements of the original counter strike like classic competitive mode, but it's also got a new, fresh feel to it. The arms race gamemode is more fun than gungame from CS:S imho. The recoils are different and there are some new things like molotovs, which just spice up the game a little bit. In terms of graphics, this is pretty much as far as the source engine will go. Also don't listen to people complaining about hit registration. They're just used to the broken hit reg of CS 1.6. This is FIXED and you actually hit people when you're supposed to. Enjoy the game and have fun! ;D Expand
  25. Dec 3, 2012
    I notice the differences when I switch from CS:GO to CS:S. CS:S feels monotonous, looks pixelated, the sounds have no depth, and the teams are always locked in an AK vs M4 war. It was a much needed update.
  26. Nov 18, 2012
    Valve does it again. In my opinion everything has improved. Gameplay hasn't changed much at all (and it shouldn't), the steep learning curve is still there, and seems more like 1.6 than source. The buy menu is much better, more convenient, and doesn't close down when you buy an individual item causing you to reopen it again and again. The weapons have been rebalanced so the over usedValve does it again. In my opinion everything has improved. Gameplay hasn't changed much at all (and it shouldn't), the steep learning curve is still there, and seems more like 1.6 than source. The buy menu is much better, more convenient, and doesn't close down when you buy an individual item causing you to reopen it again and again. The weapons have been rebalanced so the over used ak, m4, awp and desert eagle isn't the only thing you see now, but they still haven't lost their power. New items such as the molotov **** for stopping a rush and decoy grenades for fooling your enemies are nice new features. The small cons of the game are my opinion of course: the silencer for the m4 is gone, only can carry 1 flashbang instead of 2, and total lack of maps. Yes these are my only cons with the games. When I first bought the game, it wasn't very polished, but now it has very few glitches and bugs. Since it is Valve, we get free maps and content, meaning the silencer might come back whenever it wants to and new maps will pop up with time. If you are a veteran or noob to Counter Strike, Global Offensive DOES NOT disappoint. Great job Valve. Now...about that episode 3? :) Expand
  27. Sep 10, 2012
    Alright, a lot of people are a bit disappointed with the game so far, in comparison to CS:S, but, you gotta see things a bit away from source if that makes any damn sense.
    The thing is, this game only costs 15 dollars and it's some really high quality entertainment for that small amount of money, and we all know Valve is gonna drop a ton of updates on us, so whats with the disappointment? Now if this was 30 or 60 dollars, i'd bash this game to oblivion even with updates, because charging that much for a game and the putting updates up later is stupid, especially since updates might be halted or cancelled, but Valve gave us a good game, for a good price, the updates from this point are just bonuses from this point, I think ti's under-appreciated, people were expecting the biggest thing ever, well, they only asked for 15 dollars, could it considered to be a cop-out of Valve to just not live up to those expectations? I'm not sure, but right now, all that matters is that i'm having a blast on GO.
  28. Nov 1, 2012
    After reading Pingman's review, i felt like i had to review this game. If you are comparing this game to Call of Duty, i suggest you leave because the games are nothing alike. Counter Strike Global Offensive is a new and improved version of the classic competitive FPS, and valve knows its only a facelift which is why they only charge 14.99 for it. Which is not what i can say for Call ofAfter reading Pingman's review, i felt like i had to review this game. If you are comparing this game to Call of Duty, i suggest you leave because the games are nothing alike. Counter Strike Global Offensive is a new and improved version of the classic competitive FPS, and valve knows its only a facelift which is why they only charge 14.99 for it. Which is not what i can say for Call of Duty, the 3-4 games with a different campaign, yet they charge 59.99? If you are a old CS player, having the original, 1.6 and source, then get this game, if you are a first timer to CS, give it a try. Its a blend of how competitive FPS should be like and the nostalgic feeling of an original game from the past. Oh guess what, the updates are free. And there are going to be alot of maps and modes coming out not to mention mods from the community. Expand
  29. Aug 31, 2012
    I was a big cs source fan and comming from it, I have some pros and cons. The good things are that the game looks great, feels great, and the weapons feel like they have a purpose. There feels to be a little more variety to this game than source, I felt that source ended up an ak/m4 war with the occasionally awp/scout. I feel like all of the guns are priced to the point that each gun has aI was a big cs source fan and comming from it, I have some pros and cons. The good things are that the game looks great, feels great, and the weapons feel like they have a purpose. There feels to be a little more variety to this game than source, I felt that source ended up an ak/m4 war with the occasionally awp/scout. I feel like all of the guns are priced to the point that each gun has a purpose (besides maybe the pistols, why blow 400$ on a tiny upgrade in pistol when you could have grenades of all sorts). Besides the zues failing to show a purpose, it all feels right. The matchmaking works really well, and the serverbrowser is classic, they know to keep that the same. The cons arent enough to shy this game away from great but they are there. As with all counterstrike games, stratagy such as positioning and purchasing is almost always far less important than aim. Thats why there is a learning curve, most of the game is based on your ability to get that headshot. Dont get me wrong, this isnt the worst thing, because its much worse when its like CoD and all you have to do is use the same loadout. At least it takes skill, but your fun time can get ruined by one guy having godlike aim, but I digress, it can happen in every game. Other Cons include, which I guess this one is more for console versions, the maps. Theres only about 10 for classic gamemodes (but servers are already up with user made maps) and 4 for the new gamemode Demolition, with only 2 for gungame. The classic maps are good, the demolition maps are actually really good, and the gungame maps just dont feel right. The main con here is the underwhelming amount. That brings me to another pro (i know, outta place), Demolition. This gamemode has only one thing I dont like about it: its really simple. All it is gungame with stratagy. But it works, it feels different and skillful in its own respect, such as awarding really good rounds with grenades and flashbangs. This is not to mention that the maps they made for it are pretty good for the one-bombsite purpose they were aiming for. TLDR: Good game, GREAT game for the measly $15 price tag, if you have the choice, PC is the way to go to get the most out of it, but console players will still enjoy the experience presented. 1.6 fans will be dissapointed because of thier hardcore attitude, but casual and pro source players will probably respect the game, and remember, source and 1.6 will still be there. PS, a ton of gamemodes (like surf and jail) are already working on GO, the transfer was apparently pretty smooth. Expand
  30. Aug 30, 2012
    This is just what the Counter-Strike series has been waiting for. A modernization. However it feels incomplete with the lack of hostage maps (there is only 2), the gameplay is spot on, competitive, and fresh; while all staying true to the classic Counter-Strike experience. The new gamemodes Demolition and Arms Race are very fun if you are looking for a more fast-paced experience, and theThis is just what the Counter-Strike series has been waiting for. A modernization. However it feels incomplete with the lack of hostage maps (there is only 2), the gameplay is spot on, competitive, and fresh; while all staying true to the classic Counter-Strike experience. The new gamemodes Demolition and Arms Race are very fun if you are looking for a more fast-paced experience, and the new maps are sleek and good looking. This game is also standing evidence that the Source engine is growing and getting better, as the graphics are phenomenal. This game is an upgrade to the entire series in every way. It's still lacking hostage maps though. Since i trust Valve to add more hostage maps, I am giving this game this great rating. Expand

Brilliant old-school shooter has convinced us that Counter-Strike franchise is in no way to be retired or forgotten. [Oct 2012]
  2. Oct 24, 2012
    A fast, demanding shooter with a huge potential for the future. It's basically CS: Source, but the maps are more polished and the game looks better. [11/2012, p.64]
  3. Oct 14, 2012
    For a non-professional Counter-Striker, Global Offensive is just a cosmetic facelift, with re-run levels. [Sept 2012]