8.7

1. May 30, 2013
    An excellent piece of DLC, although it does need some balancing. Norse rulers can invade just about anyone, and can frequently field unstoppable doomstacks.

Still, playable pagans, another 200 years of history to play with... good work, Paradox.
  2. Jul 7, 2013
    I'm I'm willing to forgive the Paradox DLC show in this case since the core game is truly worth it. It seems almost a miracle that after years and years of making sausage machines, they have (perhaps by accident) arrived at the architectual basis for a TRULY GREAT GAME. Crusader Kings 2 is a great game. No mistake. But it's still a little shy of perfect. However rather than the mediocre expansions of other Paradox titles, we find (miraculously!) that the major DLC for CC2 REALLY is improving the game. If they somehow find the way to build a GAME around this engine: scenarios, campaigns, cut scenes, narratives: we could well end up with the supreme strategy video game experience! Power yo you Paradox! On to the peak! This team may be the first to scale the Everest of game design! Even short of perfection, what they are selling now is work every copek and every crown! If you haven't tried this game buy it now and ALL the DLC. Applause! Bravo! Bravo Collapse
  3. Jun 28, 2013
    TOG gives you a whole new set of rules, mechanics, and scenarios with which to create a fantastic, immersive narrative while in a sandbox-style game. If you liked the previous major DLC expansions, this one's a must-have (by far my favorite), probably adding the most content of any DLC yet-released. Religions, pagan religions, and even vassals are now all dramatically more fleshed-out, with CK2 now being a large handful of games' content all in one. Paradox also started adding many more context hints in this game, explaining certain effects which are temporary (for example previously, there were many actions which'd affect an NPC's opinion for x years, but the game never hinted at that now it gives specific durations for actions which affect opinion).

I agree TOG does introduce a lot of questionable balance choices, though... In TOG's start date, there are a good few nations able to totally dominate the map within a couple decades, no matter which difficulty level you're playing at. Playing Norse effectively voids out the entire casus belli system (particularly if setting ambition to claim a kingdom) as you can declare wars against just about anyone for large pieces of territory for rapid, dramatic expansion.

Rebellions have been revamped as well, and now are more along the lines of what's in Victoria II (though this mechanic still isn't nearly as complex as in V2). I'm not sure it really adds any benefit to the game other than flavor and some more chaos, which keeps the game from feeling stale. Some rebellions will require even large states to hire mercenaries and call in allies to defeat, which increases the risk of expanding exponentially faster than you assimilate newly-conquered lands.

AI seems significantly improved, as NPCs seem more prone to aggressive expansion, quickly gobbling up tens of smaller states in a handful of years, than working up to defeating the larger ones which might not be historical so much, but is more balanced considering this is what players do. The Independent States tab in the ledger shrinks pretty quickly with time, and I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

The DLC introduced a few new bugs, but mostly only text-related, and I haven't yet experienced a crash playing TOG for ~30 hours. For instance, sometimes choices in dialogue options won't show effects or who's affected, only icons, and there seem to be many more instances where a character's name is replaced with something like "text_consort_titlename."

I'll also state support for how Paradox does DLC content, with fluffy stuff (new portraits and song packs) being sold for a buck or two, but with all the core changes being included in the main DLC. It lets me choose which content I want and don't want based on which nations/regions fit my usual playstyle. There's no invasive DRM, and the prices are very reasonable, so I'm a huge fan of Paradox's respect in general toward customers.
  4. Jun 6, 2013
    Good DLC apart from the fact that they try to milk you for every last cent by making you buy the Norse portraits and unit pack separately! Seriously paradox stop being greedy! The $15 (AU) price tag on this is great but that is only when it is inclusive of the unit pack and portraits!
  5. Jun 21, 2013
    I don't think Paradox is selling hundreds of millions of dollars of product like Call of Duty or other big name products. So if they want to charge you a few bucks for portraits, songs, sprites, and DLC, I say more power to them. Keep the games coming! They aint gonna make this stuff for free: I am Looking at you Rekkie!

That said, it adds a few hundred years of game play and a few
    new events. Playing as a norse is worth at least a game or two and defending as England or France against the Norse invaders is also fun. (Mind you a single game can last weeks or months of real time play!) All told: worth the price of admission if you liked the whole series. If you didn't, you probably aren't even reading this so Bugger Off! Expand
  6. Jul 16, 2013
    Great DLC and It's fun to play as Norse Pagan. However, it does need some balancing. Especially in the regard of armies of the Norse lords. That, however, doesn't take the fun of playing with them, especially when you watch the infighthing between the lords to form the Northern Kingdoms.

I would like to see a better form other than subjugation of a county to see a kingdom be created.
    It's a bit idealistic, considering Norse culture see the stronger as the most prepared to lead.

It's addictive to keep trying different approaches to be King of Sweden or Norway, though.
  7. Sep 6, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing. Sure it has some quirks( i.e. un-scale-able user interface) but I have sunk 260 hours into this game and have only scratched the surface of the content. On top of the original size and quality of the game, Paradox continuously releases new patches and content enhancing the experience. This is especially important in a day and age where most companies cash in by releasing a buggy nightmare with no follow through or support. Expand
  8. Nov 15, 2013
    The idea is good, but the Paganism in this DLC is like a bigot's cartoon version of the old European religion, and no thought seems to have been given to the fact that all the pre-Christian Europeans had (what was basically) the same religion, only with different names on the deities and a few local customs here and there.

In this game I can "convert" Slavic Pagans to Norse Paganism.
    Right....

Slavic is a language group, by the way, not a culture, religion or people. So religion follows languages in this game... ok. Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense. How exactly is it you will convert a Slavic-speaking Pagan to Norse Paganism? Can't you just teach him Norse language instead, and call it "language education"? His religion will be the same anyhow... Do you need to "convert" a French Catholic to German Catholicism too? What if he knows both French and German?

The main focus in The Old Gods is the Norse Paganism, and the ultra-Christian and hateful stereotyping of the good and honourable Norsemen dominates everything here. So Pagans have to sacrifice people to their gods and to go to war in order to please the gods and their bloodthirsty populations. So that is what Paganism was about? Did Christians make this game, or what? That's laughable!

There are no Old Gods in this DLC, only Old Hatred. The Christians still seem to hate the European religion ("Paganism"), and make it look completely idiotic and meaningless whenever they can, like in The Old Gods.

Don't support people who make games that insult Europe and spread anti-Euroepan ignorance and hatred.
  9. Jul 15, 2013
    No improvements to the multiplayer, balance got messed up even worse, half the dlc is taken out and sold as mini-dlc's, only something for hardcore fans.
  10. Jul 8, 2013
    Absolutely necessary addition to CK2 and well-made as well, but charging £9.99 for it is simply ridiculous. Reformation of pagan religions a very good idea but it still lacks ability to create custom-made empires.
  11. Mar 29, 2014
    Adds a great amount of depth and replayability to what is already an astounding strategy game. Combine this with all the other DLC and you have one of the most enjoyable and time devouring games in PC history. You will literally lose months of your life to this.
  12. Dec 18, 2013
    This DLC allows you to start CK2 earlier in 867, which is fun in itself. But the real gain is the addition of playable pagans, from Norse Vikings through to Steppe Nomads.
    Lots of fun added to an already great game.
  13. Jan 8, 2014
    This expansion adds on to an already great game. It adds depth and an earlier start date along with making pagans playable. I give this amazing expansion and game 5 stars
  14. Jul 7, 2013

1. Sep 23, 2013
    Quotation forthcoming.
  2. Jul 19, 2013
    The Old Gods does just about everything you could ask for in a sandbox strategy game expansion, and with far fewer initial bugs and technical issues that any previous release of the series. [Aug 2013, p.75]
  3. Jul 2, 2013
    It would have been cool if every nation added in The Old Gods got the same detailed treatment as the ones from the Legacy of Rome expansion, but still, this is a fascinating journey into the unforgiving Dark Ages.