8.7

1. Oct 20, 2012
    The game is so close to being a good game that it's sad to be ruined by so many little negatives. If you got to play it, wait until the deep discount.
    Here's the game killers, in no particular ranking order.
    1) Pop up takes up the center of the screen, click okay so that you can handle what the popup was telling you and the game immediately unpauses. So time flies often with a new pop
    up which has to be handled.
    2) Ships are there to only troop troops. No fighting naval battles, no blocking incoming invasions, and no real point after all the troops could just come with transport and keep this whole game mechanic
    3) Troop size is near stagnant. Sure you can build something that gives you maybe 50 more troops in a year. But when it comes time for war and your allies don't want to join (constant) or the liege dies and it's time to rebel again by every county.
    4) Rebellions: Constant inner rebel that after putting down instead of executing them or even putting them in jail your're just suppose to let them go otherwise you just make quickly make more rebels.
    5) When rebellions succeed and after the country splits, the counties that stayed have peppered cities, temples, and baronies that don't go with you. Instead you always have this land mine in your own county. AND YOU CAN"T REVOKE THE CLAIM IN YOUR OWN COUNTY.
    6) Far flung territories mean nothing to the enemy. Who expects you defeats 3x the amount of solders And counties to take his one across the map territory. 7) No family ties loyalty. And I don't mean little, I mean none.
    8) It's your fault if they desire something even when it's not in your possession.
  2. Feb 12, 2012
    Very complex, no user manual, had to get my housemate to teach everything. A bit of a yawnfest. Very slow to get into doing anything serious, had difficulty playing the game.
  3. Feb 14, 2012
    With a high-end computer just for playing games, the first thing I experience after installing the game is the map going haywire with provinces flashing in and out of view for no reason at all, like the computer having a tantrum! You know the saying about you don't get a second chance for a first impression, well, that was not a good start. Well, it also seems like a counting numbers kind of game to me, I'm more of a visual gamer and so this is just not the game for me, I suppose. Expand
  4. Sep 17, 2013
    I know I'll be lambasted for saying this, but I just plain do not like this game at all. I have read the reviews over and over, almost all of which give a glowing recommendation, but I just can't see the attraction. I tend to like strategy games, and complex games that have a higher learning curve as...in the end they are more satisfying. However, after repeated attempts to play this game....I'm baffled. I have loaded it up, uninstalled, loaded up and tried, read the guides, watched hours of tutorials on youtube and still when I log in to the game and start it up I end up asking myself after about an hour....WHY AM I DOING THIS? :)

It's just plain boring...to me that is, and no I'm not the type of gamer that prefers a jump in fast and kill em all type player. But just turning on a game clock and watching things happen based on my decisions just doesn't entertain me. The depth of the game is very overwhelming and the behind the scenes engine is just not very intuitive IMO.

I know it is a universally acclaimed title, but I won't be installing it again on my computer. BORING!
  5. Jun 25, 2013
    Incredibly complex and a vague tutorial. This game would be great if it didn't stumble over its intricacies so often. I personally enjoy a challenge, but playing (or attempting to play) this game feels more like learning a new language or an organic chemistry class. It thrusts the player into an absurdly complex system with little to no real help. I'm sure once you get the hang of it you can have fun, but I have not the time nor the energy to devote hours of my life to learning Crusader Kings II. Expand
  6. Jul 18, 2012
    Bought this for Macintosh. I have a MacPro way above the system requirements and this game runs like a slideshow - totally unplayable. I could run the windows version using bootcamp, but when you put out a Mac version, this is supposed to run without needing to switch to another OS. A lot of other people report exactly the same on the steam and paradox (restricted access here until you buy the game, you cant see all the bug reports! - very clever) forums. Also some recent graphic cards that are built into Macbook Air etc. are not supported. @ Paradox: I expect a fix ASAP - if you fix it, I will change this rating to 8.

@ Windows users: The game itself is pretty good - with some more events this could be one of the better medieval simulations. It lacks a little bit with a lot of repeating events, that most of the time will have you respond the same - just to get the positive traits. Combat is unlike Total war series "just" little symbols of your armies, but I actually like this better, because I always want to play a lot of years and do not like the micromanagement of actual battles like in Total war series. The fun part about this game is more about intrigue and advanced planning of family ties that can enhance your position.

Overall solid game, but NOT for Mac users!
  7. May 31, 2013
    After playing some sessions I just can say “Omfg is that boring”. First you have to read for at least 2-4 hours guides or watch youtube vids before you understand the game mechanics. And after I played my first sessions I realised that even as a King I can`t declare war to who I want. I need a casus belli (reason) to start a war. So either there is a claim or I have to send my advisor to create a claim. And that claim is mostly only over one region instead of a whole country. So there is nothing with gaining huge territorial gains. How stupid is that. So most of the time you let your advisors do stuff and play the matchmaker for your relatives and vassals. It is basically a numbers game instead of a strategic game. Definitely my biggest mispurchase this year. Expand
  8. Dec 7, 2012
    I was really excited about this game when I heard of the dynasty concept and how you build your family. The focus is supposed to be on planning and resisting intrigue plots so you can further spread you dynasty. However its just a bunch of menus within a boring world with extremely boring characters. Characters are reduced to simple stats and there is very little if any relevant character developments. To top it off, your expected to "get" the rules and UI without any real help. I spent two play sessions reading tutorials and trying it out to learn how to play as I do not have a friend to just show me. The learning curve on this game is way to high for what it is.

I love strategy games, I do not understand how this game rated so high. Its a serious disappointment and financial waste.
  9. Jun 4, 2014
    Poor UI makes the game more complex than it needs to be. Tutorials are outdated, and get bugs frequently. I had to restart the tutorials twice because of bugs. I then attempt to make a custom character (I have the ruler designer DLC). Immediately when I click start, I am treated with a game over screen. After reading around forums, I find it is because I made the character with a religion I have not yet purchase from DLC, even though nothing in the UI states this is a problem, or even states that I do not own it. Horrible DLC practices with an awful UI bring down what is an otherwise 'okay' game. Once I was actually in game, the gameplay was average. Deep in some areas, shallow in others. For example, having kids with their own traits and marrying them off is fun, but also diluted when the same random events repeat over and over within the first half an hour. Wouldn't recommend. Expand

1. Jan 24, 2013
    It might look like a daunting game to dive into, but stick with it and you'll find one of the most engaging and addictive strategy experiences available.
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    Crusader Kings II is quite unique. It's focus on dynasties and family leads to original and entertaining gameplay with great depth and variation. If not for a steep learning curve, it would be close to perfect.
  3. Oct 17, 2012
    Crusader Kings 2 isn't a traditional RTS. The countless intrigues, relationships and family issues that you have to deal with, might make it seem more like a relationship-manager than an actual game. Still, it's quite refreshing and thanks to the countless choices it makes for a great political playground. Every play session is different and opens up a new story, but in return it requires a lot of insight and empathy.