Crusader Kings II PC

8.7

1. Nov 7, 2013
    Crusader Kings II was my introduction, and eventual conversion, to Paradox Interactive. The depth of the dynastic strategy is amazing though it will take many hours to fully appreciate and exploit the tools given to you for conquering Medieval Europe. While there are some flaws within the game the only real "game breaker" would be multiplayer support. Crusader Kings II plays very wellCrusader Kings II was my introduction, and eventual conversion, to Paradox Interactive. The depth of the dynastic strategy is amazing though it will take many hours to fully appreciate and exploit the tools given to you for conquering Medieval Europe. While there are some flaws within the game the only real "game breaker" would be multiplayer support. Crusader Kings II plays very well single player but it truly shines when you play with others. Unfortunately, Paradox's metaserver is nonfunctional and unsupported, which leaves you with having to play through your own IP which is extremely difficult for friends and family who have no network experience. Expand
  2. Jul 29, 2013
    This is by no means an easy game to master not helped by poor tutorials that don't really teach you how to the play the game. That said if you persist with Crusader kings you will be rewarded with a challenging game which will test your strategy and planning. Unfortunately the combat is particularly lackluster and the interface is poor.
  3. Jun 3, 2013
    Love Paradox games and this started out as no exception. It's big, complex, and detailed. Once you get the hang of it you can chug through rather nicely. For me, the game fails miserably when it comes to a King/Queen dying. Historically, you didn't see wars stop due to a death or rebellions pop up after every death. In CK2 however, all aggressive expansions immediately halt upon death andLove Paradox games and this started out as no exception. It's big, complex, and detailed. Once you get the hang of it you can chug through rather nicely. For me, the game fails miserably when it comes to a King/Queen dying. Historically, you didn't see wars stop due to a death or rebellions pop up after every death. In CK2 however, all aggressive expansions immediately halt upon death and rebellions are far too common from the ensuing loss of stability. Tends to create boring dead zones of time where you can't really do much other than wait for loyalty to solidify to expand again. It's just tedious and boring rather than challenging and entertaining. Really frustrating when you get unlucky and run through multiple rulers in a short time frame. Overall the game isn't bad and is worth grabbing if you're into complex strat games. Expand
  4. Mar 27, 2012
    Not an easy game, sometimes frustrating, with a slow learning curve (if you expect to master it). You ll have to make many mistakes before understanding most of the game mechanics and be successful. Certainly not a game for everyone. But if you can go through that, you ll find a jewel that worth your time. The political system is very complex and the backbone of the game, it's all aboutNot an easy game, sometimes frustrating, with a slow learning curve (if you expect to master it). You ll have to make many mistakes before understanding most of the game mechanics and be successful. Certainly not a game for everyone. But if you can go through that, you ll find a jewel that worth your time. The political system is very complex and the backbone of the game, it's all about relations between members of your family/vassals, not so much about war and conquests. Very deep game. Expand
  5. Jan 2, 2013
    Another almost fun game. Super hard to understand. Very little help to learn. Even when something happen bad, you dont know what it is and how to improve it. The game keep you very very busy, taking care of 1000 details. But whatever you do, it doesn't change so much the results. Even when things seem to go well, you can be bite by a serpent or fall from a balcony or many other reasons outAnother almost fun game. Super hard to understand. Very little help to learn. Even when something happen bad, you dont know what it is and how to improve it. The game keep you very very busy, taking care of 1000 details. But whatever you do, it doesn't change so much the results. Even when things seem to go well, you can be bite by a serpent or fall from a balcony or many other reasons out of your control and then the end of the game might follow. You got TWO choices : you help the computer to beat himself OR you face it and be crushed slowly to instantly. Expand
  6. Jul 19, 2013
    I hate to give this game a poor review; as people seem to love it so much, and there seems to be some great aspect to it that I just don't get, but the game just simply seems to have no redeeming factor to me.
    I'm quite all right with relatively bland UIs but this one just takes the cake it's a simple map (that strangely gives me frame rate drops on 'terrain' view) with some very basic animations that take place when two armies engage.
    As far as I'm aware, planning out a dynasty is the main 'goal' of the game, although it's a bit more ambiguous than that essentially, you achieve what you wish to achieve in the game. I'm quite all right with the concept, but with such little to motivate and drive you, I ended up asking just what exactly I was playing for as I was in no way engaged a similar occurrence to what can happen when playing Minecraft.
    I will say this. I thoroughly believe if you are a strategy fan, you will enjoy this. I got some enjoyment out of Starcraft 2, but I have determined real-time strategy games are not for me. Perhaps this is what so hazily masks the appeal for me.
    However, if you're on the fence about playing this, my review will likely apply more to you. As a lot of people have stated, there's a giant learning curve to this game I believe understand the concepts, but I don't understand how to 'play' it. I keep my vassals happy, make sure my ruler has a royal heir to succeed him and... then what? I have to wait years upon years to get a claim upon a county? Perhaps I'm blind, but the game feels like just one huge waiting fest.
    I regret this isn't the game for me as I was granted it as a gift after showing some interest in it. I merely hope those of you who do purchase get a lot more entertainment out of this than I did, as for me I wasn't motivated in the slightest to continue my campaign any actually achieve some form of major goal within the game.
    Playing as historical rulers (or characters from a Song of Ice and Fire, if that's your thing) is cool, though.
  7. oso
    Jan 7, 2016
    If it wasn't for the unbelievable Multiplayer/Desync Problems (that force you and all your mp mates to shut down and restart the game all over every few minutes) and the DLC policy of Paradox this would be as good as Grand Strategy gets.
  8. Jun 6, 2014
    Great game!

Yet:
    - It may be too "basic", want to see some more "creativity" regarding to the subject: history, intrigue, worldmap (continents), battle, politics

Maybe a sandbox solution? So the game can be very "basic" and very "deep", at the same time?
    Just a thought.
  9. May 21, 2012
    About the gameplay: this is certainly the best Paradox game ever and one of the best games in history. The gameplay has been extremely simplified (compared to Hearts of Iron, Crusader Kings 1 and so on) even thought the game is not easier / casualised at all. I believe Paradox learned something really valuable: how to make the most complex games easy to handle. It's just perfect. About theAbout the gameplay: this is certainly the best Paradox game ever and one of the best games in history. The gameplay has been extremely simplified (compared to Hearts of Iron, Crusader Kings 1 and so on) even thought the game is not easier / casualised at all. I believe Paradox learned something really valuable: how to make the most complex games easy to handle. It's just perfect. About the game itself: I won't spend time explaining the game, the fact you start as a Count, Duke or King, that you have to manage your vassals, the relations with every people, the weddings and so on. I will make it short: if you think that thinking stuff like:

"Ok I need to kill my own children so that my principal heir gets all my belongings"
    "Mmmh the Duke of Aquitaine is married. If I kill his wife and I marry him with my daughter I could get some claims"
    "My vassals are angry, how to make them happy? I see the heir to this Duchy is a friend of me, ok I kill this one, I'll make a plot. This other one... I can help him to become Duc of Flanders, lets start a war"
    "Damn it, I absolutely have to change inheritance laws, or else I loose the crown of the Kingdom..."

Well, if you think such stuff is pretty cool and that it could be intrigating , well, believe me, no game EVER on this planet will make you think more than CK2 about plots, intrigues, assassinations, ways of getting rid of a rival, how to get the crown, how to manage relations and so on.

Furthermore, nothing is fixed, your vassals may love you, but if you die, and your children gets all, well, they may not like him, start complotting again against you, declare independence and so on. So the game is actually:
    - never the same throughout the game itself, you never get bored. It's not because situation "today" is stable that it will be in 20 years.
    - each time you play the game even with the same Family, the experiences and events will be different
    - without saying obviously that playing a French Count or Duke is completely different than playing a Polish or a Bizantine family

Just to say how wonderful the game experience is: It's the kind of game you start talking about with your wife. And even though she doesn't care AT ALL about video game, it's such intrigung that even people who don't play video games, will in the end ask you, while taking a walk: "oh, did you manage the Burgundian issue about inheritence? Did you kill in the end your nephew?" or "Did you manage to be King the end? And the Duke of Norway, does he still have independence desires?"

Believe me, it's maybe a bit hard to handle while starting, but, after a couple of hours you understand all the subtleties of the game and that moment, you'll have a WONDERFUL game that makes Total War series a pale, tasteless game.

Why not 10 then? Because you HAVE to go by Steam, and it's such a pain...

1. Jan 24, 2013
    It might look like a daunting game to dive into, but stick with it and you'll find one of the most engaging and addictive strategy experiences available.
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    Crusader Kings II is quite unique. It's focus on dynasties and family leads to original and entertaining gameplay with great depth and variation. If not for a steep learning curve, it would be close to perfect.
  3. Oct 17, 2012
    Crusader Kings 2 isn't a traditional RTS. The countless intrigues, relationships and family issues that you have to deal with, might make it seem more like a relationship-manager than an actual game. Still, it's quite refreshing and thanks to the countless choices it makes for a great political playground. Every play session is different and opens up a new story, but in return it requires a lot of insight and empathy.