Crusader Kings II PC

8.7

1. Jul 14, 2012
    I'm a huge fan of Paradox because they do these types of games so very well. It's not just that the game play is so absorbing but also that it's historically accurate enough as to not promote excessive quibbling. It really does feel like you are following the course of history, and time after time your decisions will either come back to haunt you or reward you massively. The thrill of notI'm a huge fan of Paradox because they do these types of games so very well. It's not just that the game play is so absorbing but also that it's historically accurate enough as to not promote excessive quibbling. It really does feel like you are following the course of history, and time after time your decisions will either come back to haunt you or reward you massively. The thrill of not knowing what might happen is what'll keep you playing for hours and hours if you pick up this game. It's not a case of 'just one more turn' but 'just one more year'. It does have it's small annoyances, such as the HRE not wanting to break up or some strange religious events, but you'll see the likes of France and England have some nightmarish situations, and that is what makes the game so unpredictable and fun. This is a gem that you can just sit and watch and it'll be as much fun as playing. Expand
  2. Jun 4, 2014
    Poor UI makes the game more complex than it needs to be. Tutorials are outdated, and get bugs frequently. I had to restart the tutorials twice because of bugs. I then attempt to make a custom character (I have the ruler designer DLC). Immediately when I click start, I am treated with a game over screen. After reading around forums, I find it is because I made the character with aPoor UI makes the game more complex than it needs to be. Tutorials are outdated, and get bugs frequently. I had to restart the tutorials twice because of bugs. I then attempt to make a custom character (I have the ruler designer DLC). Immediately when I click start, I am treated with a game over screen. After reading around forums, I find it is because I made the character with a religion I have not yet purchase from DLC, even though nothing in the UI states this is a problem, or even states that I do not own it. Horrible DLC practices with an awful UI bring down what is an otherwise 'okay' game. Once I was actually in game, the gameplay was average. Deep in some areas, shallow in others. For example, having kids with their own traits and marrying them off is fun, but also diluted when the same random events repeat over and over within the first half an hour. Wouldn't recommend. Expand
  3. Mar 29, 2014
    An almost flawless piece of gaming history. Paradox have created a very unique take on the strategy genre here, and it works a treat. This isn't a game of trouncing everyone in your wake and gobbling up province after province (although you can try that if you want), it's all about making sure your dynasty (house) survives through the centuries by using everything in your power.

The

The level of detail and depth is simply superb and the devs have at last found a way to make it accessible to the masses. It's not quite a pick up and play, but if you go through the tutorials and give it a few hours of game time you will quickly grasp the fundamentals. The hardest part I found was figuring out what all the historical terms in the game meant at first, but the tool tips do a good job for the most part here.

If you are considering buying this and are not yet quite sure, all I can say is buy it and allow yourself the time to learn it. I guarantee you will be glad you gave this iconic strategy game a chance. Roll on CK3!
  4. Dec 27, 2012
    This game is just awesome. After having played the original Crusader Kings game which was quite good but nowhere near being my favourite Paradox game, i wasn't very excited about this game at first. But once i tried the demo i was completely amazed. It's one of the most exciting games i have played in years! It is also quite hard at first because there is so many things to do and keep in mind.
  5. Mar 7, 2012
    Very finely done sequel, that takes almost everything from previous and distills it into more accessible package without dumbing it down. The graphics and UI server their purpose and look good. The gameplay is fluid and complex enough. Only negative I can think about is lack of "Ambitions" (Goals for a character) and some options when interacting with other characters.
  6. Feb 22, 2012
    If you are a fan of Paradox strategy game, such as Victoria series or Hearts of Iron or even Crusader Kings,you will find this game a brilliant production from paradox, Not only it succeed to be it's successor of CK 1 , but it provide many countries and play styles for you to play, with a detailed background of History.At first u may found difficult to play this game (Same as me!) , butIf you are a fan of Paradox strategy game, such as Victoria series or Hearts of Iron or even Crusader Kings,you will find this game a brilliant production from paradox, Not only it succeed to be it's successor of CK 1 , but it provide many countries and play styles for you to play, with a detailed background of History.At first u may found difficult to play this game (Same as me!) , but after trying few times, you always wanted to come back for more! If your looking for some challenging strategy games, this game really suits you, it's one of those game you must buy! Moreover, the game have some serious success in the game engine. Graphics are up to date, beautiful for a strategy game and it also fixed the lagging problem happened in Victoria 2, which was a pain in the ass! Even I massed 30k armies with my France, I still don't get any lag like from Victoria 2 ( Who played VC II will understand ), this is a great success, without the epic lag , I can fully enjoy Paradox's new game, Great kudos to Paradox! Though it's great, I won't give a max score cause there's place to improve. I think paradox can add a little mixture between total war series and their series. Not only we can see troops fighting on flat lands on the map, I suggest we can actually command it during an epic battle, like total war, Which will push the game to a whole new level. Just a suggestion, but hope it's useful. Anyway great game, 8 for graphics, 9 for game-play , 9.5 for non-lag situation , 9.5 for great system. Overall 9/10 for the game. Expand
  7. Mar 8, 2012
    A very good game, not as complex as HOI3 or Vicky. While about equal or even easier than EU.
    The gameplay is very fun and smooth, there are some nice features, like the game pausing in singleplayer when you get a pop-up(CK2 have alot of pop ups, and pausing is important so you don't miss, considering you can change the game speed), there is plenty of warning icons showing up incase something is going on, so you have a pretty good idea of what is happening all the time. Graphically the 3D map felt a bit awkward at first, but started feeling more natural after a while.
    The soundtrack is glorious, feels like it likes to repeat the same songs a bit too much, I wouldn't mind seeing more tracks in the game. The game had a overall very smooth launch, pretty much no issues for me and I could play MP with a friend fine(only the typical Paradox net code desynchs here and there, but nothing really gamebreaking)
  8. Feb 16, 2012
    Most people who give this game bad reviews are those who don't know how to play it or expect something different than what it is. CKII is a slow-paced niche strategy game designed for scheming Machiavellis, not a game that will please the Red-Bull-chugging BF3 crowd. The game is a lot more polished at release than most Paradox titles. It's also one of the deepest, with a great internalMost people who give this game bad reviews are those who don't know how to play it or expect something different than what it is. CKII is a slow-paced niche strategy game designed for scheming Machiavellis, not a game that will please the Red-Bull-chugging BF3 crowd. The game is a lot more polished at release than most Paradox titles. It's also one of the deepest, with a great internal politics system that makes conquering new land an option rather than a requirement for an interesting game session. It's graphics are among the best Paradox has released, and its system of unique portraits and character traits makes each character -from the highest emperor to the lowliest baron- a unique human being with his or her own personality and motives: rather than playing as an abstract country or a colour on the map, you play as a person and their dynasty. This makes the game unique (in a good way) from any other grand strategy game I know of.

The only con is the poor buggy multiplayer.
  9. Jun 14, 2012
    The best and the brightest paradox title: difficult, exciting and very satisfying in every part. the main goal is to help your name to survive to you, to write a story about your family. It is strange for a strategic game but every character lives...your wife, your sons, your ancestors, your enemies. This is a tale engine about a family. Your family. The blood is thicker than water, andThe best and the brightest paradox title: difficult, exciting and very satisfying in every part. the main goal is to help your name to survive to you, to write a story about your family. It is strange for a strategic game but every character lives...your wife, your sons, your ancestors, your enemies. This is a tale engine about a family. Your family. The blood is thicker than water, and playing this game you will discover it. Expand
  10. Jun 23, 2012
    Although daunting in its scope and sheer overload of information, Crusader Kings 2 is a great "social" strategy game. The main difference between this title and some of Paradox's others is that in this game you are not some omnipotent god like figure ruling over your kingdom. You are actually a family member in the game, and you must successfully navigate each character through their life,Although daunting in its scope and sheer overload of information, Crusader Kings 2 is a great "social" strategy game. The main difference between this title and some of Paradox's others is that in this game you are not some omnipotent god like figure ruling over your kingdom. You are actually a family member in the game, and you must successfully navigate each character through their life, forging alliances with other family members of all sorts, and as ruler, your most important task is securing a line of succession- failure to do so will result in instantly losing the game.
    The game is not for the impatient FPS player who wants instant kills and gratification, if you're looking for explosions, this is not the game for you. As everyone else has already mentioned, the game is in desperate need of a sufficient manual. The learning curve is rather steep as one has to learn medieval jargon to master the game. Not a bad game.
  11. Jan 2, 2013
    Another almost fun game. Super hard to understand. Very little help to learn. Even when something happen bad, you dont know what it is and how to improve it. The game keep you very very busy, taking care of 1000 details. But whatever you do, it doesn't change so much the results. Even when things seem to go well, you can be bite by a serpent or fall from a balcony or many other reasons outAnother almost fun game. Super hard to understand. Very little help to learn. Even when something happen bad, you dont know what it is and how to improve it. The game keep you very very busy, taking care of 1000 details. But whatever you do, it doesn't change so much the results. Even when things seem to go well, you can be bite by a serpent or fall from a balcony or many other reasons out of your control and then the end of the game might follow. You got TWO choices : you help the computer to beat himself OR you face it and be crushed slowly to instantly. Expand
  12. Dec 19, 2012
    All the complaints about this game have so far been about no instructions and so on. This is absolute crap.

The game has a very neat tutorial that helped me especaily. The rest is realyl just complaints because they can't handle the difficulty
  13. Mar 12, 2013
    Paradox, as always, ensures that the 'Grand Strategy' genre of their games is well named. Control a dynasty of europe throughout the middle ages. Beyond that, all goals are up to you. Will you control one of the kings of Europe? Or perhaps a lowly count? Will you fulfill the ultimate destiny of the Capet Dynasty, or restore the power of the Carolingians through their last living members?Paradox, as always, ensures that the 'Grand Strategy' genre of their games is well named. Control a dynasty of europe throughout the middle ages. Beyond that, all goals are up to you. Will you control one of the kings of Europe? Or perhaps a lowly count? Will you fulfill the ultimate destiny of the Capet Dynasty, or restore the power of the Carolingians through their last living members? But always remember that, sooner or later, there will be a certain series of historical forces coming from the East...

The DLC expansions only add to your options further, although there are also cosmetic DLC that are only for appearances.
  14. Mar 19, 2013
    Crusader Kinds II does something I never thought I would see in a strategy game, it melds RPG elements seamlessly. Some may find the 'characters' a bit shallow compared to a true RPG but the strategy gamer will find themselves developing a deep hatred for certain family members, opposing families, and cultures. It is this emotion which keeps you playing. This is not a simple game. YouCrusader Kinds II does something I never thought I would see in a strategy game, it melds RPG elements seamlessly. Some may find the 'characters' a bit shallow compared to a true RPG but the strategy gamer will find themselves developing a deep hatred for certain family members, opposing families, and cultures. It is this emotion which keeps you playing. This is not a simple game. You will not master in one play through and each complete game can be very long. I have never gotten more play time for the dollar. Managing relations in your realm and out of it while amassing power is not easy. The stronger you become the more enemies you create. You will lose wars and suffer setbacks but these challenges only make it more fun. Re-playability is awesome as each Count, Duke, King, and Emperor supplies new and interesting challenges. Combat is simple but mastering the subtleties will win you battles you should lose. Combing racial units, levies, and retinues yet keeping a positive income is the staple challenge of all these games and CK2 does this very well.

A solid play for serious strategy gamers and history buffs.
  15. Sep 4, 2013
    This was my first game of PDS and I hugely enjoyed it. I was always curious about feudal Europe, however I never really had the motivation to read large chunks of text about it, then Crusader Kings II came along and changed that. I was thrust into my first game as the Norman King of England of the House de Normandie; William the Conqueror. That and the subsequent few games I played afterThis was my first game of PDS and I hugely enjoyed it. I was always curious about feudal Europe, however I never really had the motivation to read large chunks of text about it, then Crusader Kings II came along and changed that. I was thrust into my first game as the Norman King of England of the House de Normandie; William the Conqueror. That and the subsequent few games I played after were probably some of my funnest experiences honestly in gaming. The dynamics of simulating the entire nobility of Europe is pretty much endless, leaving room for virtually anything (realistically) to happen. This is probably the funnest game I've ever played. Expand
  16. Jun 6, 2014
    This may be the first game about which my steam account says that I've spend 1000 hours with. Indeed this is for me the game with the highest "Wiederspielwert", or as I would translate it "value to play it again". If you like the middle ages and sandbox games this might become one of your favourit ones - once you understood the mechanics - and once you have preyed on a steam sale to getThis may be the first game about which my steam account says that I've spend 1000 hours with. Indeed this is for me the game with the highest "Wiederspielwert", or as I would translate it "value to play it again". If you like the middle ages and sandbox games this might become one of your favourit ones - once you understood the mechanics - and once you have preyed on a steam sale to get the huge amount of DLCs with wich one can build it's own game, related to one's historical interests.

In Crusader Kings 2 you play as a medieval noble family and you try to steer them through the storms of history. At first the patriarch of your family might be in a political view a dumb and dull loser that doesn't achieve anything except making a lot of sons. His firstborn may be the true son of his father but a younger brother might be a brilliant, beautiful and devious mastermind who could lead your family to true greatness and an own chapter in the history books. And so the story begins...

Multiplayer is big fun if you do have some patient friends that also have fun to create their own part of history - with the Old Gods and the EUIV Savegame Converter DLCs you can play from 867 till 1850s and reshape the maps with a huge load of characters never to forget.
  17. Jun 3, 2016
    The game is great! At first it's hard to understand anything in interface and game concepts, but once you get familiar with all that stuff, you feel like you're really living in Medieval times. Plus this game is almost infinitely re-playable, because of different cultures and different behavior possibilities for your character.

On the other hand, there's still a lot of work for

On the other hand, there's still a lot of work for developers: military and economic sides of game are quite arcadish, and some limitations of politics looks illogical.
  18. Sep 24, 2013
    Superb game that is difficult to explain to others. Like with other Paradox games, there is an insane amount of depth. Honestly, it took me a few months of starts and stops before I finally figured out how to play. Once I did though my time was quickly enveloped by the game. One of the great moments in my gaming memory is finally forming the Empire of Britannia for the first time,Superb game that is difficult to explain to others. Like with other Paradox games, there is an insane amount of depth. Honestly, it took me a few months of starts and stops before I finally figured out how to play. Once I did though my time was quickly enveloped by the game. One of the great moments in my gaming memory is finally forming the Empire of Britannia for the first time, rising from a humble earl to emperor.

I want to thank the developers for supporting Linux as well. Although we are the 1%, we appreciate your attention and support for this platform
  19. Jul 21, 2014
    In diesem Spiel versucht man die Gechicke einer Adelsfamilie, in der Epoche des Mittelalers zu lenken. Die Ziele dabei setzt man sich selbst - möchte man nur einen Grafen spielen und weiter aufsteigen oder möchte man als byzantisches Kaiser anfangen und die Gefahr der Abbasiden eindämmen. Kein anderes Spiel schafft es so gut die damaligen feudalen Beziehungen aufzuzeigen. Das Spiel istIn diesem Spiel versucht man die Gechicke einer Adelsfamilie, in der Epoche des Mittelalers zu lenken. Die Ziele dabei setzt man sich selbst - möchte man nur einen Grafen spielen und weiter aufsteigen oder möchte man als byzantisches Kaiser anfangen und die Gefahr der Abbasiden eindämmen. Kein anderes Spiel schafft es so gut die damaligen feudalen Beziehungen aufzuzeigen. Das Spiel ist zwar nicht grafisch ansehlich, strotzt dafür vor Details und lässt den Großteil anderer Strategiespiele, im Hinblick auf Komplexität weit zurück. Expand
  20. Sep 9, 2015
    I have now played the game for nearly eighty hours, and only now feel that I understand most of the tedious, hard-to-find details of the game. I have also watched a couple dozen hours of video on YouTube, without which there are things I simply never would have known. In fact, kind of hilarious that some guys with "lets play" series with thousands of views were also unclear on how someI have now played the game for nearly eighty hours, and only now feel that I understand most of the tedious, hard-to-find details of the game. I have also watched a couple dozen hours of video on YouTube, without which there are things I simply never would have known. In fact, kind of hilarious that some guys with "lets play" series with thousands of views were also unclear on how some parts of the game worked. Sorry, just should not be this hard, where the "hard" is caused by unclear (or nonexistent) descriptions. To really understand the game, you basically need to open up the code to see what is driving certain calculations. On one level the masked complexity adds intrigue and mystery, but seems to me an artificial construct, ultimately makes it tedious.

In the end you spend hours and hours learning all the idiosyncrasies, then playing the game itself is boring. Really a "rinse and repeat" strategy that is quite tedious.

The game does have a ton of historical backdrop, which is entertaining. Dynasty building is also kind of fun. Though I have had one too many strong characters suddenly develop a deathly disease when young, like a programmer somewhere just said "let's make this harder" with a quick fix. The combat and time passage are also marginal at best. Here is the trick to winning combat...have more men. For the game's massive complexity, pretty sad.

There are some fun twists with the events, bug by the time you have learned yhe game you will have seen them dozens of times, they too become repetitive and tedious.

Just not satisfied with this game.
  21. Jan 3, 2015
    One of the greatest title of all time without a single doubt,unfortunately it is a very underated game that deserves more atention of the gaming community,if you like history,mediavel fare,Game of Thrones this game is for you,don't get me wrong,not everything is factual on the game,but i am sure you will learn something about history.

Another great aspect of this game is the

Another great aspect of this game is the modding,like the Game of Thrones mod who brings Westeros and Essos to life,there are another good mods and tweaking mods that set your game as you like it,the music is beatiful and the mechanics are complex,that is the only con with this game,the learning curve, it is hard to master this game but once you learn how to play properly the AI are no match for you.

People whining because it's too dificult is really lame,yes the game is hard,and that's a good thing,just getting a beat on the ass everytime will teach how to play.

But a warning before diving into this game,THIS GAME IS NOT FOR EVERYONE,if you like explosions,laser,graphics and COD,stay clear of this game.

To simplify i will put the pros and cons(almost non existing cons):

Pros

- Great modding community

- Tons of DLC's and new content,the vanilla is pretty good even without any DLC,and each DLC is worthy

- The complexity,i will put the learning curve on the Con side but the conplexity of this game is wonderful,not for the complexity itself but for the deepness,that is rare today

- Music is really cool

- This game is hard,if you put some mods the game will be insanely hard

- The concept of this game and the perfect execution shine,in all it's a perfect game in my view

- Companies like Paradox should be more rewarded for the great games,proof is that to this day they launch DLC's for CK2 putting more depth into the game.

- Game of Thrones MOD

Cons

- Graphics,ok not an issue with me but there are people who care,make no mistake this is no Total War,you don't see those badass battles but the battling mechanics are good and work really well.

- Learning curve,the game has many mechanics,tribes,feudalism,republic merchant,tons of religions each one with it's on playstyle,your council,your family,your vassals,causus belli,holy wars,ploting,etc....yeah,there are a lot of things to do and while this is not a bad thing learning it all can be very dificult,but the reward is more than satisfying.

- There is no naval battle...

- Multiplayer has some issues
  22. Sep 28, 2014
    One of the best games I have played. It sucks you and you get heavily involved in the stories that you create with your characters. I would say however that it is quite complex and can be hard to get into initially. Once your there its worth it.

Because of the expansions there are plenty of different ways to play and different parts of the world offer different challenges and have a very different feel.
  23. Dec 31, 2014
    A game that is complex and advanced enough that it takes a long time to get old. Very enjoyable and will challenge you for a long time! Highly recommend the Old Gods expansion too.
  24. Aug 31, 2015
    Game sucks. Instead of hardcore strategy this game turns into an RPG extension to Risk the board game. Unfortunately the BS idea of "EQ being more important than IQ" is taking over the west, and to make a disgusting mix of oversimlified strategy, to unpredictable interactions with virtual people, only to have the public swallow it whole is baffling. Go play the sims guys, don't ruinGame sucks. Instead of hardcore strategy this game turns into an RPG extension to Risk the board game. Unfortunately the BS idea of "EQ being more important than IQ" is taking over the west, and to make a disgusting mix of oversimlified strategy, to unpredictable interactions with virtual people, only to have the public swallow it whole is baffling. Go play the sims guys, don't ruin strategy for everybody else. Expand
  25. Oct 12, 2015
    I consider games which hold my attention for at least 50-60 hours of gameplay to be good or great games. With Crusader Kings 2 and its many DLC packages, I've been captivated with many hundreds of hours of gameplay. It is an overwhelming immersive strategy game with a depth of gameplay features that is staggering. If you like deep strategy games or else you are a nut for dark ages orI consider games which hold my attention for at least 50-60 hours of gameplay to be good or great games. With Crusader Kings 2 and its many DLC packages, I've been captivated with many hundreds of hours of gameplay. It is an overwhelming immersive strategy game with a depth of gameplay features that is staggering. If you like deep strategy games or else you are a nut for dark ages or medieval history, then Get. This. Game. Expand
  26. Aug 17, 2013
    This game is really special. It is one of the few games with such richness that the characters develop their own stories. The game is as much about the dynamics of dynasty as about conquering land. Assassination, double-dealing, forced marriages, forced imprisonment, and that is just dealing with your family. Try it and love it. To succeed you need to manage fractured relationships, andThis game is really special. It is one of the few games with such richness that the characters develop their own stories. The game is as much about the dynamics of dynasty as about conquering land. Assassination, double-dealing, forced marriages, forced imprisonment, and that is just dealing with your family. Try it and love it. To succeed you need to manage fractured relationships, and maneuver your way into having valid claims over any land you want to conquer. One particular dynamic I really liked about the game was that sometimes it can be effective to provoke a rebellion to ruthlessly crush your disloyal scheming subjects, rather than concern yourself with keeping them on your good side. So often in games where an approval system exists you are better off keeping people happy. So much pleasure to have options, each with their advantages and disadvantages. Expand
  27. Feb 18, 2012
    The game is brilliant!
    For the 2 (and possibly more to come) complaining about no manual, it's on their website, it's the 21st century, download the PDF. (Check the Paradox Forum)
    Took me a few hours to get the hang of it, and now I am coasting! From the Duke of Orkney to King of Norway! This is NOT a wargame. This is a dynastic SIM. Build your dynasty, watch your family tree grow!
    The game is brilliant!
    Work your family over 4 Centuries...
  28. Feb 12, 2012
    First of all, this game isn't out yet, so I am basing this on the demo, since there is a mod that allows you to play for 400 years, and a bug that allows you to play any character, the game is pretty much open. In Crusader Kings II, you play a character, not a country like other Paradox games. You are a noble in medieval times. The five tiers are emperor, king, duke, count, and baron. YouFirst of all, this game isn't out yet, so I am basing this on the demo, since there is a mod that allows you to play for 400 years, and a bug that allows you to play any character, the game is pretty much open. In Crusader Kings II, you play a character, not a country like other Paradox games. You are a noble in medieval times. The five tiers are emperor, king, duke, count, and baron. You marry, have kids, try to insure succession is of your dynasty. You rule the country, but with limits. You have vassals under you to control and revolt. Claims on countries are generated in many different ways. Just the demo, I have probably played 20 hours in the past 4 days. It is great spreading your dynasty, even loosing is really fun. Trying to regain my throne is one of the best times I have had. Plotting is a great aspect. All in all, the game is a must buy for anyone interested in Medieval times, or grand strategy games. Expand
  29. Apr 24, 2012
    Here is what u need if u r new to Grand RTS: 1. This Game 2. Time to read the manual 3. Time to play the tutorials 3. Time to watch the very good "Lets play" vids on youtube. What u get? The best, complex strategic game ever made :)
  30. Feb 18, 2012
    Pros:
    - Little to no bugs. (20+ hours w/o a crash or bug)
    - Quick response by the dev team (Just released a balance/bug update) - Caters to the hardcore audience in love with Paradox, yet walks the new player through the ropes - From the smallest county to the largest kingdom, the player is kept busy keeping his realm intact Cons: - It is a grand strategy game, so unless you like games
    Pros:
    - Little to no bugs. (20+ hours w/o a crash or bug)
    - Quick response by the dev team (Just released a balance/bug update)

Cons:
    - It is a grand strategy game, so unless you like games such as Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis, or even a game like (and this is a stretch) Civilization this game will not appeal to you. I highly suggest the demo if you are on the fence about this type of genre
    - Most DLC's from Paradox are cosmetic, so if this goes against your religion stay away
    - If you expect to micro manage your battles you will be horribly disappointed, this is more about the macro

Synopsis: You play as a christian ruler (though the devs have hinted at allowing muslim or pagan rulers in the future) trying to keep his/her dynasty alive through the middle ages. Your ruler will have to use everything at their disposal to maintain the peace in their realm while still holding off the masses at the gate just waiting to rule your lands.

This game takes a drastically different approach to empire management from other games where in other games you are normally a supreme ruler, your word is law and everyone follows almost perfectly. In this game, you are simply the current ruler of your realm. Your vassals, court, and even family have their own goals, often working against your own. Expect to see your own dukes vying to knock your family off to take the crown for themselves, your court angling to assassinate the right person at the right time to get them land to rule, and even your family to plot against you to take your throne. It is not uncommon for a player sitting as the ruler of the Holy Roman Empire to be knocked down to simply holding a county. But the opposite is also entirely possible...
  31. Feb 28, 2012
    One of the best grand strategy games ever released. Great improvement from the first one, and using the experience that Paradox gained with his other series (Europa Universalis, Sengoku and Victoria), with great graphics and a really great set of possibilities, events and replay factor. Just too dificult to new players, but nothing that some hours of gameplay can't solve.
  32. Mar 7, 2012
    A reasonably good balance of historical fact and game-play without tethering you to history, although looking through the different start dates lets you learn some interesting facts, like the Nestorian christian mongol in the Il-Khanate. All in all, a very good introduction to paradox games, hopefully this means we'll be getting an EU:Rome 2 as well!
  33. May 2, 2012
    Like most Grand Strategy games from Paradox interactive, Crusader Kings II (CKII) has a steep learning curve (especially for neophytes to the CK series like myself) that isn't helped one bit by the massive wall of text that confronts new users when they attempt to complete the tutorial. Ironically enough, fan-created content like the dearth of 'Let's Play' series available on YouTube isLike most Grand Strategy games from Paradox interactive, Crusader Kings II (CKII) has a steep learning curve (especially for neophytes to the CK series like myself) that isn't helped one bit by the massive wall of text that confronts new users when they attempt to complete the tutorial. Ironically enough, fan-created content like the dearth of 'Let's Play' series available on YouTube is actually the best way to get a feel for the various fine mechanics of game-play, and is certainly more engaging than reading pages and pages of text from the tutorial, or power-gamer 'How to Play CKII' from the Paradox Forums.

Putting aside the disappointing tutorial and sharp learning-curve, the game at its core is a fantastically engaging dynasty simulator. Unlike the Europa Universalis Series, which focuses on countries, CKII focuses on Dynasties. At it's heart CKII is one part Kingdom Simulator, and one part The Sims. Unlike other Grand Strategy games, CKII manages to make individuals one of the most important aspects of the game, and it does so intelligently. Managing your dynasty, interpersonal relationships, plotting against rivals, and managing the oftentimes chaotic succession of lands and titles sounds overwhelming, and yet CKII is designed to remain manageable nevertheless.

All that said, this game is not for everyone. It's a thinking game. Battles are very RISK-like, pieces moving from place to place with fights being resolved off-screen. Being a fan of the Total War series, I was hoping battles would involve more tactical play, but unfortunately that's not what this game is about. It's about thinking, planning, building -- all that good strategy stuff -- and only a tiny bit of tactical game-play. So if you think you can enter a battle as the underdog and win with superior tactics, think again. In CKII the superior strategist is victorious.

Paradox is actively improving and supporting the game with patches, constantly striving to improve game-play with community feedback. Bioware? Sit up and take notes.

Now if you'll excuse me, my newly created Greater Kingdom of Ireland, Scotland, and England is off to help the besieged Kingdom of Castille reclaim the Iberian Peninsula from the marauding Muslim factions who've rolled in.
  34. May 15, 2012
    Very fun game and can't wait for the game of thrones mod, would be even cooler is grrm just gave them the rights To make a game of thrones game though
  35. Jul 18, 2012
    Bought this for Macintosh. I have a MacPro way above the system requirements and this game runs like a slideshow - totally unplayable. I could run the windows version using bootcamp, but when you put out a Mac version, this is supposed to run without needing to switch to another OS. A lot of other people report exactly the same on the steam and paradox (restricted access here until you buyBought this for Macintosh. I have a MacPro way above the system requirements and this game runs like a slideshow - totally unplayable. I could run the windows version using bootcamp, but when you put out a Mac version, this is supposed to run without needing to switch to another OS. A lot of other people report exactly the same on the steam and paradox (restricted access here until you buy the game, you cant see all the bug reports! - very clever) forums. Also some recent graphic cards that are built into Macbook Air etc. are not supported. @ Paradox: I expect a fix ASAP - if you fix it, I will change this rating to 8.

@ Windows users: The game itself is pretty good - with some more events this could be one of the better medieval simulations. It lacks a little bit with a lot of repeating events, that most of the time will have you respond the same - just to get the positive traits. Combat is unlike Total war series "just" little symbols of your armies, but I actually like this better, because I always want to play a lot of years and do not like the micromanagement of actual battles like in Total war series. The fun part about this game is more about intrigue and advanced planning of family ties that can enhance your position.

Overall solid game, but NOT for Mac users!
  36. Aug 13, 2012
    A strategy game with an amazing amount of depth and personality and great potential for emergent narrative. While the game may be intimidating for newbies who aren't used to the genre due to its vast amount of options and choices, once one learns the basic mechanics of the game it lends itself to hours upon hours of great gameplay. One of the best strategy sandbox titles I've played in ages.
  37. Nov 5, 2012
    If you read the majority of the negative reviews here, most complain about the game being too difficult. The game is very complex, and there are many levels of game-play options available to the user. It is such a complicated and detailed strategy game, I do not know how they could really dumb it down. The decision tree of the gaming system is logical and deep. The AI is very good.If you read the majority of the negative reviews here, most complain about the game being too difficult. The game is very complex, and there are many levels of game-play options available to the user. It is such a complicated and detailed strategy game, I do not know how they could really dumb it down. The decision tree of the gaming system is logical and deep. The AI is very good. Casual players will be in over their heads, but strategy enthusiasts will be very impressed. If you are looking for good graphics or voice-acting, this is not the game for you. 100% of the effort was put into the logic systems and the user interface. Expand
  38. Nov 13, 2012
    Paradox is a special company, they always make strategy games that not only are fun, but they also challenge us and make us think about what we are going to do next, and one wrong decision can end the game. Crusader Kings II is no exception. This game involves not only military action like most medieval games, but also political, economic, and religious action involved with it too. FirstParadox is a special company, they always make strategy games that not only are fun, but they also challenge us and make us think about what we are going to do next, and one wrong decision can end the game. Crusader Kings II is no exception. This game involves not only military action like most medieval games, but also political, economic, and religious action involved with it too. First off the way they shape the character customization is great, no two characters in a game are alike. The way they look is good, but paradox also adds a lot of traits that define a character, and also have skill levels to show that your character is a good, I dunno, a good general, or a great diplomat, or a bad financer. Military action also is good. The war system is a bit elaborate, levies need to be taken into account, also diplomacy is quite hard to learn. Keeping vassals happy, along with maintains good relationships with your neighbors and your religious head, is just part of the diplomatic standpoint. My only concern with this game is that the learning curve is way too steep. I am good with learning on the fly, but someone who has never played a paradox game will not get comfortable the day, week, even month after getting it. The tutorials are also vague, and they take too long to get through. However this is blown aside once you start ruling the Byzantine Empire, uniting Ireland, or making the Russain Empire before the 16th century. The mods the community pump out are great too, but hard to get running. Also unlike most companies, the game's dlcs provide a lot for our buck. All in all if 9.5 were an option, then I would give it, but I sadly can't. Expand
  39. Jul 14, 2013
    Crusader Kings 2 is perhaps one of the most addicted, yet difficult, strategy games I have ever played. Thrown into the world of Medieval Europe, you take the role of one of the many royal families of Christian Europe and attempt to put your name in the history books.

CK2 is one of those games that has a learning curve that circles back onto itself, but don't let that get in the way of trying to play the game. The mechanics of CK2 makes every family on the map a complex and intriguing entity that can be your strongest ally or most dangerous enemy. Titles and lands are thrown around before your eyes as nearly every family vies for the power of kings. Your job is not only joining in on this game of thrones, but to drive your enemies from existence and place your heirs as the leaders of mighty holdings. Watch yourself though, you may suffer from infighting with your own family as they try to knock your avatar from the top of the feudal pyramid.

What makes CK2 so fascinating is it's accuracy to the Medieval ways of 1066-1453 CE Europe. Every character has their unique skills and abilities, and not a single one is unimportant as you cross paths trying to gain power. Historical events like the Crusades, Mongol Invasions, and Story quests also add to the complexity and addictiveness of CK2. You will soon find yourself playing for hours trying to master the game.

Crusader Kings 2 is hard, I will not lie, but once you become more proficient at the game you find it hard to stop playing and trying to become the most powerful family in Europe.
  40. May 31, 2013
    After playing some sessions I just can say “Omfg is that boring”. First you have to read for at least 2-4 hours guides or watch youtube vids before you understand the game mechanics. And after I played my first sessions I realised that even as a King I can`t declare war to who I want. I need a casus belli (reason) to start a war. So either there is a claim or I have to send my advisor toAfter playing some sessions I just can say “Omfg is that boring”. First you have to read for at least 2-4 hours guides or watch youtube vids before you understand the game mechanics. And after I played my first sessions I realised that even as a King I can`t declare war to who I want. I need a casus belli (reason) to start a war. So either there is a claim or I have to send my advisor to create a claim. And that claim is mostly only over one region instead of a whole country. So there is nothing with gaining huge territorial gains. How stupid is that. So most of the time you let your advisors do stuff and play the matchmaker for your relatives and vassals. It is basically a numbers game instead of a strategic game. Definitely my biggest mispurchase this year. Expand
  41. Feb 25, 2013
    Amazingly compelling. Brilliant dynasty-based gameplay. Very hard to hard to warp my head around, but brilliant after that. Paradox appear to be the most responsive company on forums and in patching making your time investment worthwhile as the game just improves.
  42. May 8, 2013
    The concept of grand strategy has been redefined by Crusader Kings II. Paradox Interactive has crafted a wonderfully deep and complex strategy game that rewards you every step of the way. There is an amazing satisfaction that comes from building a huge and powerful kingdom in the heart of Europe. Buyer beware however this game will only appeal to strategy junkies who love complex games.The concept of grand strategy has been redefined by Crusader Kings II. Paradox Interactive has crafted a wonderfully deep and complex strategy game that rewards you every step of the way. There is an amazing satisfaction that comes from building a huge and powerful kingdom in the heart of Europe. Buyer beware however this game will only appeal to strategy junkies who love complex games. The learning curve can be quite brutal so be prepared to take a beating for the first few games you play. I have discovered that the best way to pick up the game's concepts quick is to play with experienced vets of the game.

With over 450+ hours invested into this game I can safely say it's one of the best strategy titles to hit the market and with the Old God's expansion coming out it's only gonna get better. If you like deep strategy you must check this game out.
  43. May 13, 2013
    Das Spiel ist wirklich nicht Einsteigerfreundlich aber wenn man das Prinzip erst verstanden hat kommt man nicht los davon. Ich persönlich habe es schon um die 60 Stunden gespielt und habe noch immer nicht genug davon.

This game is really hard to learn but if you know it you cant get enough from it. I self played it since 60 hours (total) and still dont get enough from it.
  44. Nov 7, 2013
    Crusader Kings II was my introduction, and eventual conversion, to Paradox Interactive. The depth of the dynastic strategy is amazing though it will take many hours to fully appreciate and exploit the tools given to you for conquering Medieval Europe. While there are some flaws within the game the only real "game breaker" would be multiplayer support. Crusader Kings II plays very wellCrusader Kings II was my introduction, and eventual conversion, to Paradox Interactive. The depth of the dynastic strategy is amazing though it will take many hours to fully appreciate and exploit the tools given to you for conquering Medieval Europe. While there are some flaws within the game the only real "game breaker" would be multiplayer support. Crusader Kings II plays very well single player but it truly shines when you play with others. Unfortunately, Paradox's metaserver is nonfunctional and unsupported, which leaves you with having to play through your own IP which is extremely difficult for friends and family who have no network experience. Expand
  45. Dec 11, 2014
    An immensely satisfying experience that has hit me in stages. After hundreds of hours of playing I remember how difficult the learning curve was when I began - this being my first paradox game at the time - slowly figuring out the little nuances that made starting as a small feudal noble and slowly building my family and lands so ultimately satisfying. Then moving on from the comfort ofAn immensely satisfying experience that has hit me in stages. After hundreds of hours of playing I remember how difficult the learning curve was when I began - this being my first paradox game at the time - slowly figuring out the little nuances that made starting as a small feudal noble and slowly building my family and lands so ultimately satisfying. Then moving on from the comfort of Ireland and England and playing the role of Viking or raja and learning the dynamics all over again. The buildup never gets old and the gambles for growth make this an excellent venue for its 'ironman' mode. I can't recommend this title enough times over. While the europa series has a lot to offer I can't help but keep coming back to this one. Expand
  46. Dec 29, 2013
    Not a game for everyone, but if you enjoy a sense of realism and a hell of a challenge definately give this a go. It takes awhile to truly understand many of the game mechanics and the differences between Pagan rulers and Republics all very different game mechanics, but make the game different and exciting for those who love strategy games like this.
    I can't stand the way Paradox's
    I can't stand the way Paradox's updates all have to be paid for through DLC but for such a good game I'm ok to deal with it.
    Ironman for Steam achievements really renewed my love of this game aswell, making it way more challenging but way more rewarding.
  47. Dec 30, 2013
    You start out probably not understanding how the game works, but if you're willing to get past the learning curve involved it will be well worth your time. Easily one of my favorite games to date.
  48. Jan 25, 2015
    An excellent game. The combination of warfare/diplomacy and life simulation (especially with the "way of life" expansion) is really well executed.

pros: -addictive -infinite replayability -getting your grubby little hands on the byzantine empire through a string of marriages and assassinations is imo one of the most rewarding experiences in any game ever -excellent modding community

pros:
    -addictive
    -infinite replayability
    -excellent modding community

cons:
    -addictive
    -steep learning curve, at least at the beginning
    -suffers from a severe case of dlc bloat
  49. Nov 11, 2014
    In a gaming era where it's all about streamlining games - to target 12 year old even with strategy games - Crusader Kings II is all about FEATURES. You can loose yourself in the complexity of running an essentially very dysfunctional family in the dark and middle ages. It takes time to master, it takes time to play, and by Jones it takes ages to complete a dynasty. Immense replay valueIn a gaming era where it's all about streamlining games - to target 12 year old even with strategy games - Crusader Kings II is all about FEATURES. You can loose yourself in the complexity of running an essentially very dysfunctional family in the dark and middle ages. It takes time to master, it takes time to play, and by Jones it takes ages to complete a dynasty. Immense replay value (100-1000 hours).
    So no, if you're a little kid with a short attention span - this isn't a game for you.
    But if you love complex strategy gaming, and getting your moneys worth - this game is for you!
  50. Feb 3, 2016
    This game is awesome in so many ways it's hard to go through them all. While the battles are automated everything else is so deep one hardly has time to battle. I have to say that this game has in many ways ruined the Total War series for me because now it's campaign feel empty and hollow.
  51. Jan 9, 2016
    It's the best game I've ever played in my life, not in a single game have I put in as many hours as I have done with Crusader Kings II. The game also has excellent mods so be sure to check the official forum!
  52. Feb 14, 2012
    This has got to be one of the most polished releases by Paradox. They've really took what we've loved about the original Crusader Kings and their brand of grand strategy then multiplied it by uber! I really enjoy plotting against my liege for the throne and setting up my dynasty in far away lands. It is definitely one of those games where you start playing and realize what time it is whenThis has got to be one of the most polished releases by Paradox. They've really took what we've loved about the original Crusader Kings and their brand of grand strategy then multiplied it by uber! I really enjoy plotting against my liege for the throne and setting up my dynasty in far away lands. It is definitely one of those games where you start playing and realize what time it is when the sun comes out. I recommend this to everyone who enjoy a deep strategy game! Expand
  53. Feb 11, 2012
    This game was tailor-made for fans of the original. The game mechanics have been fleshed out and improved for portions of the original game-play that was fun, while the stuff that was irritating left on the chopping block. This holds true even when comparing it to other Paradox games, such as Europa Universalis. So it's easier to wade into, but still retains that great depth, andThis game was tailor-made for fans of the original. The game mechanics have been fleshed out and improved for portions of the original game-play that was fun, while the stuff that was irritating left on the chopping block. This holds true even when comparing it to other Paradox games, such as Europa Universalis. So it's easier to wade into, but still retains that great depth, and character-driven game-play that made the first Crusader Kings so captivating.

Pros:
    The music is really great, very atmospheric and enhances the overall theme.
    Combat/unit control is tidier than previous Paradox games, a breeze to go to war now.

Cons:
    Navigating the menu is still a challenge, but hey it's a Paradox game.
    Crashing while alt-tabbed.
  54. Feb 12, 2012
    Very complex, no user manual, had to get my housemate to teach everything. A bit of a yawnfest. Very slow to get into doing anything serious, had difficulty playing the game.
  55. Feb 14, 2012
    By far the easiest Paradox Grand Strategy game to get into, simply because it is more like an RPG than GS. The graphics are great, the new combat system is brilliant, and the game is wonderfully in depth. Paradox has made it so even when playing the smallest, most insignificant county in Europe that you will still be constantly entertained with intrigue and diplomacy. Top notch quality,By far the easiest Paradox Grand Strategy game to get into, simply because it is more like an RPG than GS. The graphics are great, the new combat system is brilliant, and the game is wonderfully in depth. Paradox has made it so even when playing the smallest, most insignificant county in Europe that you will still be constantly entertained with intrigue and diplomacy. Top notch quality, zero bugs or crashes encountered thus far. Simply brilliant. Expand
  56. Feb 27, 2012
    Complex at first but as you progress the game and you start to understand the game mechanics you'll fall in love with it. This game does not have a option to fight real time, but to be honest i don't miss it. The political system is deep and that is the reason for the steep learning curve but it is also the reason why this game is so great. If you like the total war series you will,Complex at first but as you progress the game and you start to understand the game mechanics you'll fall in love with it. This game does not have a option to fight real time, but to be honest i don't miss it. The political system is deep and that is the reason for the steep learning curve but it is also the reason why this game is so great. If you like the total war series you will, probably, like this game. This game is not for casual gamers though. Expand
  57. Feb 28, 2012
    For the level of complexity, the game is relatively easy to pick up. This game is an excellent example of grand strategy and hours of fun for any strategy fan. The AI could be a bit smarter, but then again I have only progressed 150 years in over 10 hours of game play. What the game does need is a high quality video tutorial series, however there are a few on YouTube that are ok.
  58. Feb 29, 2012
    The complexity in this game is something that drive you play more and more. One of the best strategy games i have play in quite sometime, meaty mechanics that reward you for optimal play.
  59. Mar 3, 2012
    Excellent game with a lot of depth, characters and intrigue ... highly recommended to any strategy fan. This is probably the only game out there that focuses on a building a dynasty.
  60. Mar 6, 2012
    After playing many paradox interactive games with Crusader Kings 1 being one of them, i found myself excited for CK2 and boy did it not disappoint! i found the game out of the box with immediate patches downloaded and installed to be very stable, ive yet to encounter a bug with the game which helps add to a much smoother game to play. i found the system was pretty similar to Sengoku whichAfter playing many paradox interactive games with Crusader Kings 1 being one of them, i found myself excited for CK2 and boy did it not disappoint! i found the game out of the box with immediate patches downloaded and installed to be very stable, ive yet to encounter a bug with the game which helps add to a much smoother game to play. i found the system was pretty similar to Sengoku which i found pretty interesting, had it gone down the old Europa Universalis 3 construction method for example which was pretty much have a lot of money and build and build till everything is maxed out which helps with balance. i also enjoyed the new intrigue system within CK2, especially as your character got older they got more numerous and more violent i should add. a very solid game, cant wait to see what mods and... DLC come out. Expand
  61. Mar 7, 2012
    No glaring bugs out of the box and heck it's even more addictive then CK1. I'm serveraly days in and not 1 CTD.
    If you liked CK1 you want this.
    You need this.
    You DESERVE this =)
  62. Apr 3, 2012
    After Total War comes an interesting change, you play as actual persons. Game is very complex and it indeed takes a while to figure out, what to do with your feudal lands. I personally enjoyed watching my children grow up with right education. Only thing that really darkened the sky above my growing empire, again family. As soon as you give them some titles, they become unbelievablyAfter Total War comes an interesting change, you play as actual persons. Game is very complex and it indeed takes a while to figure out, what to do with your feudal lands. I personally enjoyed watching my children grow up with right education. Only thing that really darkened the sky above my growing empire, again family. As soon as you give them some titles, they become unbelievably annoying, but when your youngers keep killing your best heirs. Well, it can make you a little angry. And the rebelling vassals? It was a bit annoying too. I think this feature was, historically, a trouble, but those dummies defy all my enormously powerful almost invincible though benevolent and merciful rulers. It just doesn't make sense to rebel only to get utterly crushed a few weeks after. I see some space a improving the heraldry, because some of those coats of arms are just ridiculous, if you know a little about it.
    On the other hand all these cons are greatly balanced by game´s pros. Graphic is quite good. I got to like whole warfare system. Claiming lands is also a very interesting feature. Improving your holdings is also a great idea. If only could I see my castles grow... Laws of the realm were simple to set and whole system was thoroughly created. So yes, this game has it's missteps, but in the full picture works real good.
  63. May 16, 2012
    This is the most interesting strategy title in recent times. Strategy fans will have hours and hours upon fun with this medieval simulation. Highly recommended.
  64. May 25, 2012
    this is a great game for someone who wants to rule over Europe with one person with difficulties such as rebelling vassals and jihads. the DLC is a bit off but it is a very good game nonetheless.
  65. Jul 10, 2012
    I believe that this is one of the best games of the year. First thing I noticed is the complexity of the game. There are layers after layers of great and detailed story behind every move you make. Your king is an actual person, not just a generic name. Your family and dynasty are actual factors in the game. You can play for hours on end not even noticing that time has gone by. In a word:I believe that this is one of the best games of the year. First thing I noticed is the complexity of the game. There are layers after layers of great and detailed story behind every move you make. Your king is an actual person, not just a generic name. Your family and dynasty are actual factors in the game. You can play for hours on end not even noticing that time has gone by. In a word: excellent game. Only down side is that it seems very slow from time to time, but that is just my point of view. Also, the complexity of the game can scare the beginners away, but after a while you get used to it and enjoy it completely. Expand
  66. Jul 5, 2012
    Crusader Kings II is quickly becoming one of my favorite strategy games at the moment. Like the title would suggest, the game takes place circa the three major crusades for the holy land. While the game does provide you bonuses for participating in these holy wars, the game doesn't revolve around them. If you try and only focus on crusades, wars to expand your empire, or waging war out ofCrusader Kings II is quickly becoming one of my favorite strategy games at the moment. Like the title would suggest, the game takes place circa the three major crusades for the holy land. While the game does provide you bonuses for participating in these holy wars, the game doesn't revolve around them. If you try and only focus on crusades, wars to expand your empire, or waging war out of boredom (Not like you would get THAT bored of the game), then you would find that your coffers would run dry and your domain would be ripping itself apart limb from limb. The game is more-so about survival than world domination. Probably the most challenging thing about CKII is figuring out how to start (At least if your new the the franchise, like me.) While the game does provide many interactive tutorials for beginners, I find that I lost interest quickly when it came to tutorials. The most critical thing that you should pay attention to if you are new to CK is the GUI and options given to you when it comes to unit management and diplomacy. Once you get past the tutorials and learn how to control your domain its very easy to get started. When you first boot up your very first game and encounter the ruler domain select screen, you will see one of the many game's strengths- kingdom verity. You can play as any region going as far west as the Iberian peninsula and Iceland and as far east as Persia and Mesopotamia. You can choose to play as a count, duke, king, or emperor. The latter controls all the lesser. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses. Counties are flexible when it comes to technological and economic growth, but lack a major military force and will have to rely on "big brother" for protection. Duchies Enjoy a better degree of autonomy than counties, but are still overshadowed by kingdoms and empires. Controlling a kingdom is the base experience of CK. You control a large group of domains and have a sizable military force, but you have to manage your vassals to prevent both minor and catastrophic civil wars. You also need to have a good relationship with the papacy or caliphate if you want a good general opinion of your ruler. Many newer players might want to control Empires since they control the most amount of land compared to other ranks of land claims and they control, for lack of better words, a massive, massive amount of military units. However, you will also have many more vassals to deal with and more civil wars to fight. I highly recommend playing as A king before an Emperor.
    I find with modern games that the more time you spend on it, the more visible the flaws are. This game totally deifies this law. The more and more time you sink your teeth into this masterpiece, the you'll find this game more deep and positively complex than the day you started this game. If you enjoy games like Civilization and Age of Empires, than you'll instantly fall in love with this game.
  67. Sic
    Aug 14, 2012
    The game takes a while to get the hang of, especially if you are not familiar with Medieval politics, and even longer to master. Once you do finally figure it out it becomes a great strategy game, it has extremely in-depth politics, combat and religious systems. But what gives this game its playability, is that even as an empire grows it larger than any other in the world is stillThe game takes a while to get the hang of, especially if you are not familiar with Medieval politics, and even longer to master. Once you do finally figure it out it becomes a great strategy game, it has extremely in-depth politics, combat and religious systems. But what gives this game its playability, is that even as an empire grows it larger than any other in the world is still susceptible to collapse back into its self due to revolts and uprisings. Expand
  68. Aug 20, 2012
    If you like strategy games such as totat war or civilization, then this is the best game in the market. It has so much to offer and so much replay ability. I bought it 2 weeks ago and already I've but int 40 hours of gameplay and can easily put a few more thousand into it!
  69. Sep 28, 2012
    Crusader kings 2 review
    Crusader kings 2 review
    Crusader kings 2 is a real-time grand strategy game made by paradox studio. In Crusader king 2 you can play 1 country out of over 100 and re-write history from the years 1066-1453 you can rule your kingdom make alliances with others and expand your empire. Not only has all of this but the fun not stopped there as you can play with up to 16 of your friends online, you compete with your friends in a bid for control over them all. There are many top features within this game such as appointing your own vassals, Training the best army through research while keeping an eye on your money. Marriages is key in this game to how long you can last by keeping a male heir and marry your daughters off to create alliance you can build a mighty empire. Although do not get to confident as other major empires may try and take you down such as the Mongols, England and the Byzantine Empire.
    This game has suited graphics for its time and can be really addicting and can have you sitting on your seat ruling for hours. Crusader kings 2 is rated as a 12 allowing most young ages to enjoy this loved game. In conclusion this game is a must buy no matter what price and get your friends to buy it too you will be enjoying it with them for days.
  70. Mar 9, 2013
    This game is so deep its unbelievable. No matter how many hours I put into this game there is some strategy I haven't explored, which brings up the reason this game is so good. It only tells you the basics of the game. This causes a very frustrating experience for the first hour or two. The plus side to this is that after hour 2 or 3 everything starts falling into place and for the nextThis game is so deep its unbelievable. No matter how many hours I put into this game there is some strategy I haven't explored, which brings up the reason this game is so good. It only tells you the basics of the game. This causes a very frustrating experience for the first hour or two. The plus side to this is that after hour 2 or 3 everything starts falling into place and for the next 150-200 hrs the player receives immense satisfaction. Anyone who gives this game below a 9 simple hasn't played long enough. Expand
  71. Dec 7, 2012
    I was really excited about this game when I heard of the dynasty concept and how you build your family. The focus is supposed to be on planning and resisting intrigue plots so you can further spread you dynasty. However its just a bunch of menus within a boring world with extremely boring characters. Characters are reduced to simple stats and there is very little if any relevant characterI was really excited about this game when I heard of the dynasty concept and how you build your family. The focus is supposed to be on planning and resisting intrigue plots so you can further spread you dynasty. However its just a bunch of menus within a boring world with extremely boring characters. Characters are reduced to simple stats and there is very little if any relevant character developments. To top it off, your expected to "get" the rules and UI without any real help. I spent two play sessions reading tutorials and trying it out to learn how to play as I do not have a friend to just show me. The learning curve on this game is way to high for what it is.

I love strategy games, I do not understand how this game rated so high. Its a serious disappointment and financial waste.
  72. Dec 19, 2012
    In the past few days I've killed my brother after he decided he wanted to be King, waged religious war against neighboring non-catholic provinces in the name of the pope, gave my eastern holdings to my 17 year old son who will one day be King of Poland, and took back those holdings when he dared to defy me resulting in a 10 year civil war, ending with me capturing and executing my own son.In the past few days I've killed my brother after he decided he wanted to be King, waged religious war against neighboring non-catholic provinces in the name of the pope, gave my eastern holdings to my 17 year old son who will one day be King of Poland, and took back those holdings when he dared to defy me resulting in a 10 year civil war, ending with me capturing and executing my own son. If you are still reading this and haven't gone and bought this gem already, do it now. It is graphically beautiful as they come, and as deep as any Paradox game out there, with twice the polish. Expand
  73. Dec 28, 2012
    I'm not going to lie, this game, at first, was difficult to grasp in the beginning, but after you get the hang of it it's great. You can play in the shoes of King Louis VIII or you can simply customize your own character to play as. Overall it's a great layout and you will spend hours upon hours playing this chivalry game.
  74. Jan 14, 2013
    A great game made even greater with mods. There are only two problems with it: Once you play it too much, it becomes somewhat formulaic and the lack of naval combat. Otherwise, the best Paradox has yet offered.
  75. Jan 18, 2013
    I haven't been a long time, avid fan of the paradox titles like many of the reviewers. I am more of a casual gamer, often a FPS type gamer, with limited forays into the strategy genre, specifically the Total War series. But when this game was on deep discount on Steam, I had to take a chance on it, as it looked like Total War on steroids.

Well, let me say one thing about it: I'm

Well, let me say one thing about it: I'm hooked. I didn't expect much from the game, and maybe that's the secret into finding enjoyment out of a gem like this is not to expect much, and being so pleasantly surprised with the game that it's hard to put down. It does have a very steep learning curve, and the tutorial videos online and in game are a must (there's really no two ways about it if you're new to the CK/Paradox series), but once you get past the initial overwhelming amount of information thrown at you, every time I play, I find something new to explore, and it just keeps on delivering. The replayability of this game is what is so intriguing to me. You can start as the King of England or France, or as a count of a single county in Ireland or Spain, and the level of play and complexity can be almost identical. The dynasty building, the intrigue of family dynamics, and the desire to expand, expand, expand keep me coming back again and again. I'll be playing for many months to come, no doubt. Great game, best money I've spent on digital entertainment in a very long while.
  76. Mar 12, 2013
    I follow a familiar pattern with Paradox's strategy games: I pick it up, almost give up about half a dozen times trying to learn it, then eventually things start to click and I end up playing it for months on end. Crusader Kings II is no exception. It's an amazingly fun and detailed treatment of Medieval politics. The tutorials are atypically helpful for a Paradox game, which is goodI follow a familiar pattern with Paradox's strategy games: I pick it up, almost give up about half a dozen times trying to learn it, then eventually things start to click and I end up playing it for months on end. Crusader Kings II is no exception. It's an amazingly fun and detailed treatment of Medieval politics. The tutorials are atypically helpful for a Paradox game, which is good because the rules are amazingly complex. Thankfully the game does a pretty good job of making it clear what is happening and why. You would think the highly restrictive rules of feudalism would make the game less enjoyable, but the many ways to scheme both legally and illegally make for some very creative and rewarding strategies.

A few notes about the (non-cosmetic) DLC that I have played. Sword of Islam is fun, but a bit shallow compared to Catholicism. Legacy of Rome is rather narrow in scope, dealing mostly with the Byzantine Empire, but is good for what it is. The Republic is probably the best one so far, but I think it still needs work and it doesn't promote the same variety in gameplay as the vanilla. Overall, I'd recommend only getting the DLC at sale/bundle prices; the base game is still where most of the fun is.
  77. Jul 10, 2013
    After putting 500 hours into this game, I believe I am given the right to rate it a 10/10. Crusader Kings II does more that allow you to watch a nation rise or fall under your command; it gives you the power to role-play along with whatever result you want. If you want a game that will not only challenge you after countless play-throughs but also keep you wanting more, than this is theAfter putting 500 hours into this game, I believe I am given the right to rate it a 10/10. Crusader Kings II does more that allow you to watch a nation rise or fall under your command; it gives you the power to role-play along with whatever result you want. If you want a game that will not only challenge you after countless play-throughs but also keep you wanting more, than this is the game for you. Expand
  78. Aug 15, 2013
    Paradox published a masterpiece when it published CK2, after years of being a niche publisher, CK2 pushed Paradox into more of a spotlight than before, opening the door for the massive preorders of EU4. CK2, upon release, was considered one of Paradox Development Studios (PDS) most polished games...However, the first versions of the game can't hold up to what CK2 is now, after steady, andParadox published a masterpiece when it published CK2, after years of being a niche publisher, CK2 pushed Paradox into more of a spotlight than before, opening the door for the massive preorders of EU4. CK2, upon release, was considered one of Paradox Development Studios (PDS) most polished games...However, the first versions of the game can't hold up to what CK2 is now, after steady, and consistent continued development. But what is CK2?

Ck2 is a game of political intrigue in the medieval era. Fans familiar with other PDS games will be just as delighted by it as they are with their other games. But this game has mass appeal to people who haven't been interested in the strategy genre. It's a deep RPG that takes place upon the highest stage, the level of Kings and Queens and Emperors, where you vie for the power, and control of Europe during the dark ages. You must elevate your status through assassinations, marriages, or straight up wars of conquest. CK2 offers many "types" of games, where you can play peacefully, warlike, or in between. There's infinite replayability. Want to be the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire in 1330? Go for it. Want to be WIlliam the Bastard, either when he was a bastard, or when he was the Conquerer? Go for it. There are endless possibilities for people to play as.

The game admittedly does have a steep learning curve (though less steep than other PDS titles, such as HOI, or Victoria 2), once you get over the initial hump of "what the hell do I do", you can just jump in and play. The game features a deep, yet often frustrating event system that simulates life as a king. You must battle through whores, mistresses and unruly vassals. While the game appears to be just a bunch of text, most of the game takes place on the map, which was crafted wonderfully by their art team...Seriously, this game is one of the most deep games there are, buy it
  79. Nov 18, 2013
    Crusader Kings II is one of my favorite grand strategy games to date. The sheer potential for fun is overwhelming, ex that you control a realm with your dynasty either one already in the game, who has a lot of historical families, or one that you have created yourself.
    Given the time Paradox Interactive have used on developing the game with several patches and expansions, the core game have become gradually better. They have created a solid base for future PI games, which did not disappoint with the release of Europa Universalis IV, where they learned from the inputs they got from the player base. I think that a lot of the big developers could learn from PI, just because they are so good at communicating with their fans.

There is of cause also negatives in the game, like bugs and chrashes, but it is so rare in my case that it never have been a problem to talk about. There is some problems with the tutorial part of the game, which is executed poorly, but PI have tried to improve on it. But if you feel it still is not enough, then look CK II up on Youtube, there are many very good explanation videos on the game.

All that said, CK II is a bloody good game, and it deserves all the praise it gets.
  80. Jan 24, 2014
    Crusader Kings II is a truly wonderful game, giving the feeling of being a medieval lord; well also being a supreme strategy experience. Recommended to the highest degree!
  81. Feb 11, 2014
    This game is very very good. It is not for everyone though. What I mean its not for everyone, I mean its not for dumb dolts who don't want to spend the time on a game that is very complex and detailed. This game takes time to learn and requires a lot of decision making and devotion. If you are a dumb dolt that likes to point and click and have your "strategy gaming" be more towards theThis game is very very good. It is not for everyone though. What I mean its not for everyone, I mean its not for dumb dolts who don't want to spend the time on a game that is very complex and detailed. This game takes time to learn and requires a lot of decision making and devotion. If you are a dumb dolt that likes to point and click and have your "strategy gaming" be more towards the surface, then this is not for you. CK2 has a lot of different and deep strategy involved with it, and is a game that because of all the actions you can perform take a long time to see work come to fruition. Its ability for everyone's game play experience to be unique is amazing and like nothing else (for the exception of other Paradox Interactive games). Try it out and give it a shot. It is fun, just give it time. Again, not for dumb dolts Expand
  82. May 19, 2014
    This game is like, a baby killing simulator. Before CKII I never even *considered* murdering all of my daughter in law's baby brothers in cold blood, but now it's an almost hourly practice for me. I usually try to be moral in video games - but when the future of your dynasty depends on bribing some maids in a far-off country to suffocate a baby with a pillow in its own cot, you'll do itThis game is like, a baby killing simulator. Before CKII I never even *considered* murdering all of my daughter in law's baby brothers in cold blood, but now it's an almost hourly practice for me. I usually try to be moral in video games - but when the future of your dynasty depends on bribing some maids in a far-off country to suffocate a baby with a pillow in its own cot, you'll do it and you'll *enjoy* it. The satisfaction you'll get when you manage to secure an inheritance in your favour because you murdered some poor child for nothing other than the status of his birth is unlike anything else. No game has made me feel this way about killing babies, ever. Expand
  83. Jul 29, 2014
    Crusader Kings II is all what a mediaval simulator strategy game should have, the game allows the player to control a dinasty during the mediaval ages, starting at 1066, with Stamford Bridge, unless you have the Old Gods, that allows you to start earlier, 867, and ends by 1440, in the game, you control almost every aspect of the life of your character, and your objetives are on your own,Crusader Kings II is all what a mediaval simulator strategy game should have, the game allows the player to control a dinasty during the mediaval ages, starting at 1066, with Stamford Bridge, unless you have the Old Gods, that allows you to start earlier, 867, and ends by 1440, in the game, you control almost every aspect of the life of your character, and your objetives are on your own, you can choose what to do, so every game is different, even with the same character, you have lot of decisions that will evolve your characters, making him a coward or a brabe is up to you, but not only that, if you're a child being educated, the tutor will react to your choices, this game is worth it, i would say it's a 9 or 9,5, i gave it a 10 because people rate it as 0 because they can't actually play more than some games to learn this game, if you ever try, play some games as a duke of the Holy Roman Empire or in France or as a independent count or duke in Ireland, after some tries, the game will worth it. Expand
  84. Oct 8, 2014
    Probably, one of the best historical strategy games in the actual scene. The amount of countries that you can rule and the deeply immersion that the game offers, makes Crusader Kings one of the best options for that ones who are looking for a medieval age simulator. Highly recommended.
  85. Oct 24, 2014
    Honestly the best game I have ever played. Over 700 hours just in my first 6 months. You will get hooked, I promise.

(This is just to fill the character cap) HA

(This is just to fill the character cap)

HA GAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
  86. Feb 23, 2015
    First of all, protect your eyes. I have a 23 in hd monitor and I still feel reading is hard - small letters densely formatted.

Secondly, it is an addicted game. The longer you play, the more you discover, the funnier it is. I spent around 1 hour to basically know what is it, another hour to figure out how to not lose my pants. After 40 hours I can say I begin to know how to use tactics or tricks in the game, but still have a lot to try. Of course, I am intrigued to try them.

Thirdly, it is an European feudalism 101 class for me, I Wikied a lot to learn those monarchy titles, which you hear everyday on those pulp magazines regarding to UK but never really think about. Actually through playing I sort of to know what were they and how they used to work when they worked. Well, an emperor was... as powerless as a school president, actually even worse, given you really want you and your heir to be an emperor forever. In addition, never there is a game expand my vocabulary this much. Who know "demesne", "betrothal", "matrilineal" or "liege".

After all, I like it. Hopefully it can improve its user interface to try not blind players who are addicted to it. By the way, I heard one can blind a prisoner, but never found this function somewhere.
  87. Apr 1, 2015
    I'm a mature gamer, the half century is behind me and I started playing computer games when you bought them on cassette tapes and loaded them into 64k machines through a crappy portable cassette player. I've been a games addict ever since. I especially like strategy games. I'm crap when its all about twitch mechanics but give me time to think about it and I’ll kick your ass. I love theI'm a mature gamer, the half century is behind me and I started playing computer games when you bought them on cassette tapes and loaded them into 64k machines through a crappy portable cassette player. I've been a games addict ever since. I especially like strategy games. I'm crap when its all about twitch mechanics but give me time to think about it and I’ll kick your ass. I love the empire building games where the goal is to build something epic not destroy yet another level boss. Everything from the first Civ games through The X series (shame about Rebirth) and everything in between. I played Europa universalis and although I enjoyed it, it didn't have the re-playability for me. Rush to the New World and if you get there first game over. So I never bought CK2 until just a fortnight ago when there wasn't much else happening on steam.
    In the fortnight it has took me to get a grip on the mechanics of this game I have to say I wish I had bought it on release. I thought there wasn't much else that could be done with strategy games. Thought I’d seen it all, just variations on a theme was all that I'm likely to see. But this is something completely left field. Its so different. The depth and complexity is both daunting and exhilarating. Its like peeling an onion. You think you have a grasp then all of a sudden you uncover a whole new level of complexity that makes everything you though you knew redundant and opens up new range of possible winning tactics and many time more possible failure modes. I have lost count of how many times I have restarted a game when something critical to winning/losing riddled its way into my game plan. I've never actually played more than 100 years in this game but I'm already dangerously addicted to it. I've even booked a full week of work to grapple with the more advanced strategies and spend half my day at work reading info on the forums.
    Nothing since the first Civilisation games has done this to me. and possible you even then. I'm not sure if I should be happy I found a brilliant, deep, complex, mind expanding game of worried I might have grabbed a tiger by the tail.
    It’s a shame that undoubtedly a lot of people will spend maybe a day trying to understand this game and give up. If that’s is you take it from me a day isn't nearly long enough and however long it takes it will be worth it. Just don’t plan on doing anything productive for the rest of you life ;)

1. Jan 24, 2013
    It might look like a daunting game to dive into, but stick with it and you'll find one of the most engaging and addictive strategy experiences available.
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    Crusader Kings II is quite unique. It's focus on dynasties and family leads to original and entertaining gameplay with great depth and variation. If not for a steep learning curve, it would be close to perfect.
  3. Oct 17, 2012
    Crusader Kings 2 isn't a traditional RTS. The countless intrigues, relationships and family issues that you have to deal with, might make it seem more like a relationship-manager than an actual game. Still, it's quite refreshing and thanks to the countless choices it makes for a great political playground. Every play session is different and opens up a new story, but in return it requires a lot of insight and empathy.