Crysis 2 PC

6.8

1. Aug 10, 2017
    Crysis 2 is an underrated shooter. Although critics rightly applauded it, overzealous Crysis fans deserted it. Why? Fans view the original Crysis as an open world, photo realistic masterpiece while accusing the sequel of being console drivel. Their loss. C2 addressed many of the flaws in the original and while making the series accessible to a broad audience. I replayed C2 after recentlyCrysis 2 is an underrated shooter. Although critics rightly applauded it, overzealous Crysis fans deserted it. Why? Fans view the original Crysis as an open world, photo realistic masterpiece while accusing the sequel of being console drivel. Their loss. C2 addressed many of the flaws in the original and while making the series accessible to a broad audience. I replayed C2 after recently experiencing the abomination that is Killzone Shadow Fall. Despite being 6 ½ years old, C2 holds up remarkably well. Visuals are stunning. Combat is fluid and satisfying. I remember purchasing it at launch for the 360 on a whim. I was blown away then, and I still enjoy it today.

C2 looks fantastic. The original Crysis has inconsistent visual quality. Jungle foliage looks awesome, but indoor environments, lowlight scenarios, and manmade structures are rendered with flat, basic textures. Most Crysis fans ignore that. On the other hand, C2 presents consistent visual fidelity throughout the game. With everything cranked up to maximum at 1080p resolution, my system pushed out 60fps (max allowable on my TV) with occasional dips as new assets are loaded. C2 isn’t perfect, and minor hiccups will rear their ugly heads from time to time. But these don’t detract from the overall experience.

Although people rave about the graphics, I’d argue that combat is C2’s best asset. C2 maintains an appropriate balance between enhanced mobility and boots-on-the-ground gameplay. Most current shooters have gone completely overboard with wall running and jetpacks—and gamers have rightly rejected that nonsense. The nanosuit only augments gameplay by granting tactical advantages, like temporary bursts of invincibility or a cloak to sidestep danger. But that’s all. The protagonist is indeed a supersoldier, but he’s still bound by physics. That layer of realism increases the challenge. If players put the hero in harm’s way, he’ll get torn apart. The nanosuit has an energy bar that must be carefully managed. If it drains completely, the hero will get torn apart. Thankfully the bar refills quickly, so there’s no prolonged breaks in the action. Levels are designed so multiple approaches can be used to clear areas. So players can rush in with shotguns, sneakily pop headshots with rifles, or avoid enemies completely in some cases. Sadly, this openness still isn’t common with triple-A shooters.

On the hardest difficulties—I recommend everyone play on the hardest 2 difficulties—properly managing suit energy is crucial. C2 handles that well without feeling cumbersome. Unlike its predecessor C2’s controls are streamlined, so toggling between abilities is effortless. The biggest drawback is the enemy AI. It’s dumb at easy and normal difficulties. However, increasing the difficulty boosts enemy awareness and aggression without increasing their health. So mistakes are punished without ever seeming unfair.

Of course, C2 isn’t perfect. First, the story begins with some incredible set pieces and one bad@&& intro movie. But the story unravels towards the end and the final boss fight kinda sucks. However, for a sci-fi shooter nothing ever gets too cheesy and the overall pacing is brisk.

Next, character animations are janky at times. Facial expressions are second-rate compared to C2’s visual glory. Grabbing mounted HMG’s causes glitches.

Lastly, some battles occur in arenas that are a tad small. I blame that on console limitations. I don’t mind that C2 isn’t open world, I just wish some environments were made larger for the PC port.

On PC, the multiplayer is officially dead. I thought C2’s multiplayer was excellent at launch. But C2 had the misfortunate of competing against its glorified predecessor and the COD franchise at its peak. Plus, EA tends to dump on its franchises. C2’s multiplayer contained technical limitations EA was unwilling to fix. And then EA pulled the plug a mere 3 years after launch. Nowadays, exosuits and nanothingies are all the rage. However 6+ years ago, those were a novelty. EA and Crytek wasted a golden opportunity by not polishing up that multiplayer.

Crysis fans are a salty bunch. They argue C2 was purposely watered down for console peasants. I disagree with this. Yes C2 is a fairly linear game, but it’s better than the original in most aspects. And compared to shooters I’ve played on my new PS4, C2’s is enjoyable without overstaying its welcome. I can’t fault Crytek for reaching out to a new market, especially since they improved the core elements of the series. C2 is different than the original, that doesn’t make it bad by default. Countless developers were inspired by the Crysis franchise. So it’s sad Crysis never gained mainstream popularity among gamers. Sure it sold well, but the hoopla quickly fizzled out. When it goes on sale, Crysis 2 is a must buy. The campaign is still enjoyable and gameplay is solid. Too bad about the multiplayer.
  2. Nov 3, 2013
    Although painfully uncreative, this game is pretty enjoyable. The graphics are superb and the gameplay is exactly what you would expect. Well, that's the problem. This game does NOT surprise in any way, shape or form. The story is full of overused clichés. I am so tired of high-budget games with this immense lack of creativity. After you finish this game you will feel like you've alreadyAlthough painfully uncreative, this game is pretty enjoyable. The graphics are superb and the gameplay is exactly what you would expect. Well, that's the problem. This game does NOT surprise in any way, shape or form. The story is full of overused clichés. I am so tired of high-budget games with this immense lack of creativity. After you finish this game you will feel like you've already played it a bunch of times. Because you have. Expand
  3. Mar 10, 2013
    Crysis 2 is not a terrible game but it is underwhelming. My main gripe with the first game was that it wasn't open enough to really show off the impressive graphics. The second game is while not linear much less open than the original. And the game is also restricted to a city that really doesn't do the graphics engine justice. The story is also not as good as I would've wanted it to beCrysis 2 is not a terrible game but it is underwhelming. My main gripe with the first game was that it wasn't open enough to really show off the impressive graphics. The second game is while not linear much less open than the original. And the game is also restricted to a city that really doesn't do the graphics engine justice. The story is also not as good as I would've wanted it to be it's not very original and never manages to build any real momentum. Probably the biggest disappointment for me is the suit-powers. There are only two now and they do not provide any strategical variety.
    The multi-player is a step-up but not very good either. It rips off other games and doesn't do anything new. The number of weapons availble is staggeringly low and they mostly feel the same. The balancing is abysmal and connection problems ruin a lot of what can be relatively fun.
  4. May 9, 2013
    Despite all of its flaws and the lack of graphical improvements over the original Crysis, I rather enjoyed Crysis 2. Nothing amazing or unforgettable, just a very decent game that I would definitely recommend picking up in a steam sale.
  5. Mar 17, 2014
    Mostly meh. Game is definitely worse than first part. Plot is so twisted so I believe even plot writers was confused with it. And how in the world you could ruin perfect water from Crysis1 ????
  6. Rem
    Jan 23, 2015
    Crysis 2 in many forms and respects, feels more fun to look at rather than play. This is certainly among the most stunning games I have played in a very long time and its in thanks to no small part to how the game basks in the light rather than darkness of other graphical darlings like Gears of War. However, this to some extent translates int o pretty confusing gameplay. Things areCrysis 2 in many forms and respects, feels more fun to look at rather than play. This is certainly among the most stunning games I have played in a very long time and its in thanks to no small part to how the game basks in the light rather than darkness of other graphical darlings like Gears of War. However, this to some extent translates int o pretty confusing gameplay. Things are constantly exploding and the game to a point has TOO much graphical flare which distracts what would have otherwise been a good shooter with the implementation of the nano suit. The sandbox style of the levels provide for a level of verticality that the Crysis series needed. Even then after all that, the story while at first seems muddled in corporations, trans-humanism, and an alien invasion, picks up somewhat toward the end but the ending is a bummer. Crysis 2 is a graphical benchmark that at some points is really fun to play, but outside of that, there isn't much else. Expand
  7. Nov 1, 2013
    The story is a mess and I never really felt engaged with it during the game, most of the mission are: get to this checkpoint, flick this switch, etc so nothing new.

Each map section offers a number of possible ways to complete it, I mostly assassinated, silenced headshot and sniped until I was discovered (usually due to an assassination failing for no reason) and then letting rip. The other options usually left you over exposed or facing too many enemies at once.

I think if I was to replay I might try to sneak past everyone but I bought this as a shooter not a stealth game. The thing that attracted me to the game was the ability rig a level with explosives, distract a soldier, set off the explosives, kick over cars rip off a M/C gun from a jeep and let rip into the remaining enemies but this type of dynamic play wasn't really possible (or at least not worth the risk and time).

Part of the reason was the level design wasn't set up for this and the enemy AI spotted you for no reason. The balance of assassination vs the 'Tactical Options' was also pretty weak and unrewarding.

The game does look good but I did find enemies walking in walls and other glitches, the enemy AI was also nothing special and as an example they would always go and stand over a dead body so a snipers dream.
  8. Jun 8, 2014
    One of the best introduction sequences to a AAA game in the last dozen years. Sadly, the combat and graphics take a big step down from Crysis. Seriously, 2014 and blurry textures in sign text? I sort of did a WTF and then checked to make sure my settings were indeed on Ultra. It's like I stepped into a time machine back to 2007.

On the upside, you can probably run this on your

On the upside, you can probably run this on your laptop. That and Bejewelled 12 (twirls finger).

The characters are also feeling weak. The first game wasn't strong, merely adequate, but this one pushes the limits of generic bad guys.

The gun play is solid, and I had fun stealthing up to bad guy 1, snapping his neck with precisely the correct torsional force, and then finishing off bad guys 2 and 3 with my hand gun/melee combo. Nothing like shooting a guy in the face and then elbowing him before he hits the floor.

Level design is also showing it's age, with urban building landscapes that initially feel open but are really closed with only a few potential routes. I'm okay with this so long as it's truly scripted narrative. Crysis 2 can't seem to make up its mind what it wants to be: an open world-like game or a tightly integrated frag-fest like the latest Tomb Raider.

Whatever. It's fun enough, just don't pay full price.
  9. Aug 19, 2013
    Where Crysis 1 was a near unplayable, bug-and-glitch-riddled flop filled with moronic AI and cheap voice acting, this sequel does an amazing job of picking up the pieces and creating something worthwhile. There are still some lingering quirks and ticks that keep it from being a truly great game, but I actually was able to enjoy a few hours of play without having to smash my face into myWhere Crysis 1 was a near unplayable, bug-and-glitch-riddled flop filled with moronic AI and cheap voice acting, this sequel does an amazing job of picking up the pieces and creating something worthwhile. There are still some lingering quirks and ticks that keep it from being a truly great game, but I actually was able to enjoy a few hours of play without having to smash my face into my desk out of frustration. Unfortunately I was never able to finish the original (due to aforementioned bugs and glitches), so it's impossible for me to comment on the story since I had absolutely no idea what was going on half the time. I mean sure, you don't really need a lot of context for killing aliens, but it would have been nice to have some sort of personal references and tie-ins to the overall plot. Being said, the combat is fun with only a couple useless weapons, and I'm a huge fan of the streamlined Suit mechanics and customization. Enemy AI seems to have finally graduated elementary school, and actually provides a working challenge beyond cheap deaths and running in circles. Voice acting has also improved by leaps and bounds, although a lot of the actual dialogue ended up feeling over-the-top and needlessly dramatic. Sadly, for all that was done to fix the series, there isn't much to actually make it feel very special. Combat and gameplay is fun, but that's pretty much were the bill stops. Just fun. Nothing particularly awe-inspiring, and no moments that really stuck with me after the credits rolled. Ultimately, Crysis 2 is a solid shooter, and there are much worse ways to spend a rainy weekend, but if you're wanting something more involved, I suggest looking elsewhere. Expand
  10. Jul 29, 2013
    I found Crysis 2 to be surprisingly linear, repetitive, boring. The middle part is basically killing the same two or three types of enemies over and over again for around six hours, without any variation in gameplay. It is by no means a match to its prequel, the much more enjoyable Crysis. Though it may have excellent graphics and good game mechanics, Crysis 2 suffers from rather dullI found Crysis 2 to be surprisingly linear, repetitive, boring. The middle part is basically killing the same two or three types of enemies over and over again for around six hours, without any variation in gameplay. It is by no means a match to its prequel, the much more enjoyable Crysis. Though it may have excellent graphics and good game mechanics, Crysis 2 suffers from rather dull gameplay, and a near to non existent story. Overall a disappointment for me. Expand
  11. Oct 12, 2013
    el multijugador es algo aceptable, pero el resto del juego no se acerca que lo que era el crysis original, bueno lo único que hay que decir es, que se espera de un juego que intenta copiar tendencias del call of duty.
  12. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (2/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

Gameplay (2/2)

Visuals/Story (2/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (0/2)

Pricing (0/2)

Wildcard (0)

13. May 28, 2014
    Crysis 2 is a good pc game .I am enjoying it .Options of this game are superb.
    ,but i find some difficulties in playing it. Mouse controls in crysis 2 are not better,when compared with crysis. No proper view. Graphics are ok ,but there is something mistake in it.
  14. Nov 3, 2016
    Great shooter with a good mix of linear action sequences and stealth mechanics. Too bad that the forgettable storyline and casual console gameplay are keeping this game from being anything more than average.
  15. Nov 6, 2015
    The original Crysis was a solid, beautiful, and genuinely fun shooter. It had great combat, and the environment it was set in made it all the more fun. The interface was great, and menus were simple. Crysis 2 takes all of this away in favor of oversimplification. Your suit powers aren't as cool, and armor mode uses power, instead of just being your normal state. The enemies can spot youThe original Crysis was a solid, beautiful, and genuinely fun shooter. It had great combat, and the environment it was set in made it all the more fun. The interface was great, and menus were simple. Crysis 2 takes all of this away in favor of oversimplification. Your suit powers aren't as cool, and armor mode uses power, instead of just being your normal state. The enemies can spot you from a mile away, making stealth tedious and stupid. It's alright, I guess. Expand
  16. Jul 15, 2016
    Much better written that previous part, richer plot, movie based story telling, really astonishing background with fascinating special effects. On the other hand lack of proper recoil, heavy-feeling shooting. The whole game truth be said was pretty "heavy". Accumulation of everything made it that way and left much to improve.
  17. Jan 4, 2017
    Deutsche Review - Kritik

Deutsche Review - Kritik

Der folgende Test ist in 5 Kategorien zusammengefasst. Diese 5 Kartegorien ergeben die Gesamtpunktzahl von 0 - 100 Punkten. Um einen passenden Userscore zu geben wird auf oder abgerundet. Bei 84 Punkten ergibt das einen User Score von 8. Bei 86 einen von Userscore von 9. Falls eine 85 kommt entscheide ich ob ich es eher positiv oder negativ nehme. Regeln verstanden?
    Dann sind hier meine Punkte.

Mein persönlicher Score = 59/100
    Mein User Score = 6/10

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    May 22, 2011
    New York in ruins, alien invasion and a hi-tech suit? Sounds like a typical B-movie. This time it's different – it's done with such perfection and enthusiasm that all FPSs can finally retire – either 2nd World War or modern. [Issue#203]
  2. May 18, 2011
    When we played Crysis 2 on the consoles, we honestly could have taken or left it. Only on the PC do we feel comfortable recommending and replaying Crytek's best game yet – and its first chance of matching technical prowess with good game design.
  3. May 5, 2011
    Crysis 2 meets and exceeds all my expectations as a sequel and a next-gen shooter.