Crysis 2 PC

6.8

1. May 26, 2011
    It's a shame after such a mind-blowing predecessor that Crytek go and take away everything that makes the first such a great game; the tiny maps, the CoD inspired multiplayer and the fact Crytek had the sheer audacity to give us an obvious console port - no Directx 11, console-grade graphics, lack of tweaking options, the lsit goes on. I gave it a 5 because despite all this the game isIt's a shame after such a mind-blowing predecessor that Crytek go and take away everything that makes the first such a great game; the tiny maps, the CoD inspired multiplayer and the fact Crytek had the sheer audacity to give us an obvious console port - no Directx 11, console-grade graphics, lack of tweaking options, the lsit goes on. I gave it a 5 because despite all this the game is fun, great for a quick bit of action, it's just such a let down I can't bring myself to give it any higher. Expand
  2. May 28, 2011
    This game is very over hyped, yes graphically this game looks good on good machines, but that's about it, you don't feel like you're in a unstoppable suit more like a scared soldier who will die if he is not cloaked. you are on edge all the time! the improvement is the inertia on the guns, very steady and better than crisis, Good graphics, but generally a poor sequel for a £30 game.
  3. Jun 3, 2011
    Not good.. First crysis was revolutionary.. brand new engine, showcasing what PC can do, and a nice story behind all of that too! But what do we get now.. a Lausy attempt to bring crysis to consoles.. Bad move crytek, bad move
  4. Jul 8, 2011
    Speaking for single player, Crysis 2 hates PC gamers; it is essentially C.o.D with a nanosuit. Linear levels which are not compensated for by the multi-story appeasement offered by Crytek removes any thought required to play this game.

This is compounded by mentally handicapped enemies and specifically the aliens giving about as much satisfaction whilst shooting them as firing at a wall.

My game crashed a few times whilst loading the next level, along with environments that are no longer destructible have resulted in my rating of 4.

Advice: If you have money to burn, go for it on XBOX, it is definitely playable, just nothing compared to the original. Otherwise, avoid.
  5. Dec 23, 2012
    Let's get one thing straight: Crysis 2 is, in fact, more linear and less open world than Crysis. However, don't let this deter you from this amazing experience of a game. Many Crysis fans find Crysis 2 to be a disappointment, but that is primarily because they expected a game that would follow the same formula as the first Crysis. This is not the case, Crysis 2 changes its formula a bitLet's get one thing straight: Crysis 2 is, in fact, more linear and less open world than Crysis. However, don't let this deter you from this amazing experience of a game. Many Crysis fans find Crysis 2 to be a disappointment, but that is primarily because they expected a game that would follow the same formula as the first Crysis. This is not the case, Crysis 2 changes its formula a bit and becomes a less open, more linear game. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it is just different. Crysis 2 still delivers beautifully in combat, storytelling, and graphics. You may have to look a little deeper than usual if you want to fully understand the story, but to some people (me included) that is part of the fun. Crysis 2 is not a better or worse experience than Crysis 1, it is just different. That being said, It will suite different people accordingly. So don't be surprised if you see Crysis 1 fans bashing Crysis 2 - this means nothing. They got a great game, they have just blinded themselves with frustration because they didn't get the exact game they were hoping for. Most of the negative reviews on here are just angry Crysis fanboys who probably made a Metacritic account for the sole purpose of telling everyone they hated this game. Don't take what they say seriously, they never gave the game a chance to begin with. Expand
  6. Mar 24, 2011
    Crysis 2 takes everything good that Crysis had, like DirectX10 graphics, advanced graphics options, great customisability of controls, user made mods and levels, total game conversions, realistic weapons and reloads, a believable story, interesting characters and just throws it out the window. Crysis, 2011: DirectX 9, no mod tools, no advanced graphics options, poor controls, lackingCrysis 2 takes everything good that Crysis had, like DirectX10 graphics, advanced graphics options, great customisability of controls, user made mods and levels, total game conversions, realistic weapons and reloads, a believable story, interesting characters and just throws it out the window. Crysis, 2011: DirectX 9, no mod tools, no advanced graphics options, poor controls, lacking multiplayer.

There is a sever lack of bridging the story. the only thing Crysis 1 players will recognise is the Nanosuit, prophet, and strickland. Everything else has been thrown away. The dedicated speed and strength modes are gone, they have been merged into power mode. Sprinting in "speed" mode uses energy and doesn't make you go any faster. Armour mode is not the default mode, it must be activated.

The good things: Quadcore support. Thanks crytek, though it would have been better used in CryEngine 2. The original Crysis and Warhead games are ahead of Crysis 2, in terms of graphics and gameplay, as well as controls and multiplayer.

This is what happens when you go multi-platform. Everything is compromised to fit the lowest common denominator. Much like a computer, it will only ever be as good as the slowest component. The game can only be as good as the weakest platform allows it to be.

Your money will be better spent on other games. To those of you arguing over Crysis 2 or Battlefield 3, your money will be going to EA no matter which you choose.
  7. Jun 3, 2011
    Played this on the PC. It seems the devs didn't care for the PC gamers. The menu was for sure designed for console gamers and you can't customize your graphics settings. The campaigns are somewhat boring and seem more like a move with little interaction. And if you were suprised with the graphics on Crysis 1, and you are looking for even better graphics on Crysis 2, don't waste your time.Played this on the PC. It seems the devs didn't care for the PC gamers. The menu was for sure designed for console gamers and you can't customize your graphics settings. The campaigns are somewhat boring and seem more like a move with little interaction. And if you were suprised with the graphics on Crysis 1, and you are looking for even better graphics on Crysis 2, don't waste your time. Crytek has now become and greedy and decided to optimize graphics so the weak consoles could run it. Very disappointed in Crytek. Expand
  8. Mar 28, 2011
    I gave this game a 2 and that in itself was generous. 1st off it is a console port. 2nd it uses a 10 year old API DX9....DX9 for god sake~! The plot is just plain bad, the textures are terrible and the AI is buggy. If you like random spawns then buy this game you will love when a AI guard pops up behind you when he wasnt there 2 seconds ago.
    Even if there is a DX11 patch(lol ya right), it
    Even if there is a DX11 patch(lol ya right), it wont help the game that much.
    MAXIMUM FAIL
  9. Mar 29, 2011
    One word to define Crysis 2: Weak. Small maps full of scripting everywhere, bad AI, linear, and a sleep inducing plot.

Crysis 2 is made for consoles. Shiny effects and bad textures that the outdated (2005-2006!) hardware of the Xbox 360 & PS3 can handle reasonably well. The PCs we have today are 10 if not 20 times more powerful than current generation consoles, technically it´s a leap backwards comparing it to the original Crysis.

Avoid or get it cheap at the bargain bin.
  10. May 14, 2011
    Yeah... I'm very disappointed crytek... very disappointed way to shoot the PC community on its back. I own a Special Edition retail copy and steam copy of the first Crysis + Warhead. I pre-ordered this game because I thought it'll be like Crysis one right? wrong. This game is made for consoles, if you're a PC FPS gamer stay away from this game because its HORRIBLE imo.
  11. Mar 28, 2011
    Crysis2: An utterly disappointing sequel with a bad case of consolitis. A game that plays and looks worse than it's predecessor from 2007. (But honestly, what did people expect, since developers had to meet the limitations of 6 Years old hardware?)
    *Bad stuff*:
    - Linear level design - small "boxed" level-areas (vehicles, unlike in Crysis1 only useful in specially for them designed maps) -
    *Bad stuff*:
    - Linear level design
    - Less interactive game world (game physics and interaction with world MUCH inferior to C1)
    - Dumb AI (bad guys where constantly running into walls on my play-through & etc)
    - Crappier graphics/Cutscenes/Blocky models/Blurry textures/Pop-ins
    - Inconsistent/moronic storyline
    - No editor
    - Completely different gameplay experience (the only thing reminding you that you're playing a crysis game is the nanosuit)

*Good stuff*:
    - Musical score
    - New Nanosuit abilities

With all it's shortcomings, Crysis2 is still worth playing, just prepare to be hugely disappointed and don't expect anything jaw-dropping if you've already played crisys1 (or a decent PC FPS).
  12. Aug 17, 2012
    [Crysis2 / Steam PC / Score 10] This is a great Action game with a genuine blend of pure stealth sequences followed by hectic Arena style run and gun. As a follow up story to Crysis&Warhead be advised that Crysis2 is a different game; not better or worse - just different. While the first games had much more open environments Crysis 2 shapes your path from one battle Arena to the next. Use[Crysis2 / Steam PC / Score 10] This is a great Action game with a genuine blend of pure stealth sequences followed by hectic Arena style run and gun. As a follow up story to Crysis&Warhead be advised that Crysis2 is a different game; not better or worse - just different. While the first games had much more open environments Crysis 2 shapes your path from one battle Arena to the next. Use of the Stealth suit with all of its functions is again the key to getting anything done and this is a lot of Fun. Two thumbs up to Crytek - I will play all of your games from now on. Released by Crytek / EA 2011.03 and played 18 months later. [DRM] Steam only and I did not have to create an account with EA [Story] As a soldier you battle the Aliens and the military-industrial complex mercs (yada yada yada) survive to save the day (you are the hero). The story details are cohesive and lightly engaging - and mostly do not get in the way of shootin : ) [Challenges] Move from one scenario to the next and experience the very well designed battle Arenas that provide many opportunities to play Your style of a fight - as long as you keep moving. Each weapon has its own mechanics and learning each one is part of the game; some are frustratingly slow - as is usual for higher powered weapons. AI is generally weak on attention span and quite forgiving when you stealth - but there are often so many opponents that you can be overrun. On normal difficulty I was reloading regularly - and that is ok....it forced me to learn and adapt. The game saves at waypoints and it works out just fine - it allows you to stay in the game and stops you from creep-saving. The HUD has a huge amount of information - daunting at first but very useful once you have the groove. The only RPG element is upgrading the stealth suit - and the most useful upgrades can be had for little experience. I did not upgrade the suit to its maximum and still got through the game OK - again the skill is really You mastering the suite of suit skills, the HUD and the timing. [Game time] 20 hrs. To really appreciate this game you will want to replay and try different tactics - and let me mention that you get to use your upgraded suit from the first play - Sweet! [Hollywood Production] Everything about this game is big Big BIG - audio, graphics and game mechanics. The combined information load is very high; I had to take breaks. I always play with headphones: The music was grandiose but not that remarkable - maybe that is personal to me. I was able to remap keys easily and they correctly showed up in the on-screen instructions. [Play Crysis2] if you are a seasoned FPS dog or you enjoyed the originals Crysis&Warhead. [MyPC] i7-2600K 3.4GHz / ASUS Z68 ProGen3 / 8Gig RAM / Radeon 6870 / W7 PRO SP1 / Samsung 275T @1920x1200 / G15 / ExpertMouse. [MyFavorites] [PC Win7] TheDreamMachine Crysis&Warhead&Crysis2 JustCause2 Rage [PC XP] DeuxExHumanRevolution&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3&NewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed1 Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] DeusExMachina ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries [Born] 1964 Expand
  13. Apr 24, 2011
    Its an okay game.

Gunplay is pretty okay, powers are restricted in a bad way, weapons all feel similar. Less freedom in the environment, enemy AI is lacklustre, story is highly generic. I can't really see what they're going for game play whys, its got very little distinction. Multiplayer just flat out doesn't work for me, due to a still persisting login error. While the graphics are
    Its an okay game.

I can't really see what they're going for game play whys, its got very little distinction. Multiplayer just flat out doesn't work for me, due to a still persisting login error. While the graphics are nice, they're not as impressive as the first and don't really seem to push the limits. Disappointing and uninspired.
  14. Apr 25, 2011
    Crysis 2 gameplay isn't nearly as action packed as the original title. Enemies are spread few and far between and dispute Crytek's claims the level design in Crysis 2 isn't anywhere as near open as its predecessor. Every map is filled with invisible gates which keep the player locked to a specified path. The player is provided with a few tunnels, i.e. subway gates, sewers, to navigateCrysis 2 gameplay isn't nearly as action packed as the original title. Enemies are spread few and far between and dispute Crytek's claims the level design in Crysis 2 isn't anywhere as near open as its predecessor. Every map is filled with invisible gates which keep the player locked to a specified path. The player is provided with a few tunnels, i.e. subway gates, sewers, to navigate around obstacles and I suppose that's what they mean by "non-linear". Graphically, there's stunning set pieces which will keep FPS fans happy, but the action is slowed down and paced for console gamers which gives evidence that the PC version is simple a port. Expand
  15. Aug 10, 2011
    I disliked the Multiplayer in this game big time. Maps are too small, too many hackers, too much cheating, some weapons too weak, other weapons too strong, some setups too good, some setups too weak. There are just some thing about the MP that just makes me want to stop playing it, when I start a game. I don't like it.

However, and here is the reason it gets an 8/10 instead of possibly

However, and here is the reason it gets an 8/10 instead of possibly 5/10 or so. I REALLY liked the singleplayer campaign. I liked the story, I liked the gameplay, I liked the sound, the voice acting, the graphics are awesome (anyone who say they suck should go get glasses, seriously), the game is insanely well optimized (it will look awesome on just about any machine out there, and if you have the juice then you will get it to look even better). I am on my third playthrough of this game, it is THAT good.
  16. May 30, 2011
    just an average FPS game with hyped graphics and direct lined story and i dont get why are the aliens from water now, when in original games they were from space o.0
  17. May 31, 2011
    Compared to crysis 1, this is a step back instead of progression. Firstly the graphics are an entire dx level behind the first one which was released 4 years previous to this one and secondly the storyline is all over the place. Coupled with those two massive faults already, the game suffers from an extremely bland selection of enemies and none of the weapons really pack much of a punch.Compared to crysis 1, this is a step back instead of progression. Firstly the graphics are an entire dx level behind the first one which was released 4 years previous to this one and secondly the storyline is all over the place. Coupled with those two massive faults already, the game suffers from an extremely bland selection of enemies and none of the weapons really pack much of a punch. Had to pretty much force myself to get through the final few chapters of the game as the pace is there but the sheer repetitiveness of the storyline and enemies you face squeezes any will to play on out of you in no time. Another thing that really annoys me about this game is the odd film grain effect which you cannot capture on a screenshot, due to the sheer amount of post processing effects added to screenshots to make the game look vastly more graphical than it actually is. Disappointing to say the least. Expand
  18. Jun 12, 2011
    Good game, however...

Good game, however...

In many places too linear (however from time to time there are some minor non-linear elements in levels), graphics isn't so awsome as one would like (at least on my hardware), enemies are stupid, not quick-save/load, game is too easy in most cases, also lenght load screens are annoying, only to wait to watch more videos, which could be played in the same time, also its console nature is really annoying. Unfortunetly better graphics in some places do not make it better game than far cry 1 or crysis 1. Vision of New York, some cool levels, and general articis design is good, but this is just a part of gameplay. There are some logical flaws in game, and non-sensic elements which ruins game.
  19. Jun 29, 2011
    I'd like to tell you that Crysis2 is more of the same but they managed to make it worse than the first one that was quite flawed. They didn't even bother correcting what was obviously broken in in the first game which is quite stunning. First, the AI is absolutely abysmal. You have to be right in front of enemies, within melee range, for them to care about you. If you're 50 feet away, theI'd like to tell you that Crysis2 is more of the same but they managed to make it worse than the first one that was quite flawed. They didn't even bother correcting what was obviously broken in in the first game which is quite stunning. First, the AI is absolutely abysmal. You have to be right in front of enemies, within melee range, for them to care about you. If you're 50 feet away, the odds are that they wont see you, you can collide with their back and they wont even know you're there. You can pick off everyone surrounding 1 guy, without a silencer, and that guy won't even flinch. The AI never works together either. I'm the first to get pissed when AI is too agressive (people spotting you from a thousand yard and headshotting you with a pistol from that distance) but the AI really could have used more agressivity and tactics. It doesnt even feel fun to shoot enemies down and even less satisfying as it requires no skill even on the hardest difficulty. Also, it doesn't seem like the AI is aware of it's environment. I can't recall how many times I've seen enemies thrown a grenade when they're facing a wall or a ledge just to have it bounce back in their face. Same goes for them suiciding with LAWs because they shot it in a wall within melee range. Retards with foam bats are a more threatening sight. As it wasn't enough, enemies will try to shoot you through walls and ledges. Sometimes bullet collision will occur but when you're less lucky it goes straight to you.

Another thing I believe is highly broken is the suit's power balancing. Maximum armor is an I win button. Everytime you mess up you know you'll get away by pressing Q. Also, stealth coupled with the stupid AI makes you invincible. That's right, it completely erases any challenge there could have been. You have to actually force yourself not to use the stealth option to feel like you're experiencing the game the way it was meant to be. That's how bad it is.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but it's the first time in video game history that a sequel has worse graphics than the original title. I understand they had to step the graphics down for console but as a PC fan, this is absolutely unforgivable. I always say that I don't care about graphics as long as the gameplay is there... but considering the gameplay completely screwed, there's not much left to enjoy.

I could go on about the terrible story, the fact that all the enemies are pretty much just the same, the open world gameplay that became linear or the lack of different environments but I think you get the point. The last time I had this much disappointment with a game it was when I bought Farcry2. I know, I know... that was very mean but not uncalled for.
  20. Jul 31, 2011
    Fails to live up to the hype as well as the expectations from fans of the first game. Linear level designs, a half-assed system for upgrades, worse control scheme compared to the first game and also poor optimization for performance. The + points from the first game such as open-world and level choices were completely left out. Shame.
  21. Aug 6, 2011
    Graphics are wonderful but graphic isn't everything for a game.It's not enjoyable.When I play,I become invisible and run to the goal,I don't fight with others instead of boss-fights.So It doesn't look like a FPS.I don't shoot anyone!!!
  22. Oct 17, 2011
    I was a huge fan of the original Crysis. I played the singleplayer maybe 5+ times through. I also spent countless hours in the editor. I could only run it on medium but it was the game that inspired me to build a gaming monster of a PC and finally run it maxed at 60fps two years after it's release. I was so excited for Crysis 2, although I was disappointed it would be set in a city. II was a huge fan of the original Crysis. I played the singleplayer maybe 5+ times through. I also spent countless hours in the editor. I could only run it on medium but it was the game that inspired me to build a gaming monster of a PC and finally run it maxed at 60fps two years after it's release. I was so excited for Crysis 2, although I was disappointed it would be set in a city. I preordered the limited edition. Well after playing through it on the day it came out I was deeply disappointed with it. Compared to the original, it sucks. It's a completely different game, it just doesn't feel like Crysis at all. I'm so angry that Crytek betrayed it's PC fanbase. I don't care that it went to consoles, but they made the PC version so bad. No DX11, or even DX10 for that matter, at launch. This is unacceptable. Crysis 1 pushed graphics to the limit, Crysis 2 failed completely in this regard. It should have been 2 years ahead of every other game just like the original but it really wasn't even as good as some current gen games. Then there's the story. It sucked. The story from the first game was far better because it was explained so well. Crysis 2's story was so vague, the characters were boring and it didn't link to the first game in any way. Where are Nomad and Psycho? It never talks about them once. I expected Crysis 2 to be based on the island from the first game, with the characters going back to the island like the end cutscene but we don't know anything about them. Then there's the gameplay. That sucked too. The city maps were just way way way too small. The game was linear, the enemies boring and overall it just felt like CoD. The Nanosuit 2 is far worse than the origianl suit. I can't select speed mode individually, or strength mode either. I hate it that sprint/jump and punch just activate the modes instead of having to actively select just one mode. It destroyed the nuances of the suit and the suit mode menu. Armour mode also drained energy even when you weren't being shot instead of just being the default mode like in Crysis 1. This game was so disappointing. It's stuffed up in so many ways. Graphics, story, setting, gameplay, the nanosuit, characters. They're all worse than the original and to top it off it's a console port with no innovation. Crysis 1 and Warhead were so much better. Don't know what Crytek were thinking but they've lost one of their biggest fans. I won't be buying Crysis 3 or any of their other games, even if they're brilliant. Expand
  23. Dec 3, 2011
    I bought this game because it was on sale. I had no expectations of it what so ever and is probably why I got so surprised of how good this game was. I had been away from 1st person shooter games for a long time because of its repetative, boring and uninspiring stories. Crysis 2 however delivered an atmospheric and engaging scenery I had'nt experience in a long while since Half-Life 2. ItI bought this game because it was on sale. I had no expectations of it what so ever and is probably why I got so surprised of how good this game was. I had been away from 1st person shooter games for a long time because of its repetative, boring and uninspiring stories. Crysis 2 however delivered an atmospheric and engaging scenery I had'nt experience in a long while since Half-Life 2. It starts out in what appears to be another generic plot but evolves into something much, much more engaging. When you think the game is over, think again. Unlike many of todays 1st person shooters, Crysis 2's story lasts longer which is greatly appreciated. However it didn't feel as if it was long enough. I would say that in this jungle of 1st person shooters, this one stands out. Expand
  24. Nov 13, 2012
    First off, let's me just say that NOBODY should be buying Crysis 2 or any Crysis for that matter for the best Multiplayer experience, it isn't, it never was, and I don't think that is the intention, Crysis is about the campaign, and that is where Crysis delivers. It isn't the best story line, and the characters aren't all that interesting, but this game is really fun to play, and I thinkFirst off, let's me just say that NOBODY should be buying Crysis 2 or any Crysis for that matter for the best Multiplayer experience, it isn't, it never was, and I don't think that is the intention, Crysis is about the campaign, and that is where Crysis delivers. It isn't the best story line, and the characters aren't all that interesting, but this game is really fun to play, and I think that is all that counts, some will complain about the story, to them I say if you want a good story watch a movie, others will talk about the graphics, go to an art museum, this game is really fun to play on campaign, the multiplayer is pretty much a Call of Duty on steroids so don't expect much from that. Expand
  25. Mar 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Absolutely worth the money, the story is blockbuster like and the graphics are absolutely acceptable and IMO superior to Crysis (even though its dx9 only). I've enjoyed every second of gameplay so far, and as the story continues the game gets more and more thrilling and amazing. The new Nanosuit 2.0 is better than the first one and it definitely adds a big unique part to the game (Speed & Strength mode activated automatically). The game runs perfectly here on Extreme @ 1920x1080 and I believe it does so on many other pcs too. It will definitely glue me to the PC for a lot of days! Expand
  26. Mar 26, 2011
    Let's get the facts on the table: graphics do NOT make a good game. Good gameplay, good story and good mulitplayer make a good game, among other things. Sure, Crysis 2 might not be as graphically impressive as its predecessor, but that's far from reason enough to give it an abysmally low score (This is a fair warning to anyone reading the 0/10 scores; they have no credibility at all.Let's get the facts on the table: graphics do NOT make a good game. Good gameplay, good story and good mulitplayer make a good game, among other things. Sure, Crysis 2 might not be as graphically impressive as its predecessor, but that's far from reason enough to give it an abysmally low score (This is a fair warning to anyone reading the 0/10 scores; they have no credibility at all. They're just butthurt fans doing the little damage they can muster). Of all the games I possess, Crysis 2 has to be one of the top 10, if not top 5. The graphics are good, maybe even great, but still not as impressive as the first game. But it's not far from the first, by no means. There are some hiccups here and there, like low-resolution textures and models popping up all of a sudden, but they are so few and far in between that you won't really be bothered by it.

The soundtrack really captures the scenario and gives you the appropriate feeling. Why shouldn't it? Just the introduction theme reeks of good quality and Hans Zimmer has helped make one or two of the tracks as well so you're sure to love it.

Gameplay wise it plays a lot like the first game. The nano-suit is back, this time more streamlined than the first, giving all the four suit powers its own hot-key. By sprinting you automatically activate speed, holding the space bar and grabbing stuff activates super strength so you can jump really high and throw really far. No suit power is active by default, like the armor was in Crysis, so that is also a hotkey enabled power now. Unlike the first game, it gives you an insanely sturdy suit, for the cost of energy. Cloak is probably the most familiar power, making you invisible for as long as the suit has energy. This setup now gives you the opportunity to use several powers at once, like cloaking and running fast, or throwing enemies while super-armored. That was impossible in the first Crysis.

The single player campaign is a fantastic marvel. It gets you through many of New York's streets, and there are a bunch of plot twists in the story too. The voice acting is nice (except for the introduction sequence), and the facial animations fit the voices well. There are a bunch of likable characters, a few bastards you just love to hate and the aliens are a tough bunch of creeps. I won't spoil the story so I'll quit it here.

Mulitplayer wise, it plays a bit like Call of Duty I think. I have never played a CoD game, but that's what I've been told. There are quite a lot of game modes to choose from (team deathmatch, capture the flag, king of the hill, etc.) and a load of maps these modes can be played in as well. If you play well, you can get additional perks on the playing field. If you collect enough of the enemies' dog tags (by killing them and collecting it from where they died) you can hack into the enemy radar and have them shown on your own. You can also summon a strong laser that fries any opponent in its way, and just for kicks, you can summon an alien gunship that hovers around and blasts any enemy it sees to kingdom come. I, and many others, usually die before getting that far, so it's not a common phenomenon. Lastly, if you want a game that looks good, plays good, sounds good and feels good, go with Crysis 2. It's definitely worth the price!
  27. Apr 11, 2011
    Although crytek has done their utmost to make this game look good, the fact is that this is 2011 and they have coded this game for the 2005 xbox360 and then ported it to pc and ps3. Moreover, they using dx9 which was released in 2002. So yes, this game looks great compared to COD etc, but so what? It's like saying you have a really great looking 480i standard def TV. The game market isAlthough crytek has done their utmost to make this game look good, the fact is that this is 2011 and they have coded this game for the 2005 xbox360 and then ported it to pc and ps3. Moreover, they using dx9 which was released in 2002. So yes, this game looks great compared to COD etc, but so what? It's like saying you have a really great looking 480i standard def TV. The game market is stagnant right now because the consoles are old and there is no tripleA cutting edge games. How someone could get excited over this game is beyond me. Unless of course you are a professional reviewer and are looking to secure your next free 2 week all expenses paid EA vacation next year Expand
  28. Mar 28, 2011
    Firstly , this is just my thoughts on the single player game.

Such a disappointment - it conveys an image to me of an EA executive walking into Crytek offices and shouting - "Right - this is how it works - I have a winning formula, no thinking outside the box, that takes us nowhere". It amazes me how a large group of very talented people can come up with something so dross. I honestly
    Firstly , this is just my thoughts on the single player game.

I honestly think if they had kept the older engine but spent their time on game content/design, bug fixing, new ideas, then it could have been a real winner.

So, a few things that about the game - in parts it reminded me of Doom (yes that pc game of 18 years ago), and not the good parts. The graphics in parts are basic and are laughable - the bitmaps of lamp posts or strewn rubbish on the floors is embarrassing, even the enemy soldiers look poorly defined at a distance and yet in parts the graphics are great - gently swaying leaves on trees. There are parts where you want to love this game but the faults are too big and you just end up tutting and shaking your head at the monitor. When playing it i do feel i'm playing a console game and not a pc game ( and i'm not kicking consoles, its just to me they both have their different feels).

The game annoys me the way it highlights an item i can interact with and also tells me that i can interact with it - that might be fine the first 10 times on a training level, but after seeing it for the 400th time is rather insulting - it reminds me of going to the cinema and the characters on screen saying the most obvious thing, just in case that brain of yours can't follow the formulaic gist of it.

Is the game on corridors ? - for me yes, but wide corridors at that. It doesn't portray a sense of freedom like the joyous Far Cry and Crysis1.

So to sum it up - A generic studio game, following set moneymaking formula that takes no risks. Dear Crytek, please hand the gaming baton to the next ambitious pc developer.
  29. Mar 25, 2011
    After playing half way into it I guess its only fair to say that the makers of Crysis 2 put quite some effort in it but worked a little sloppy here and there. Most noticeable about this game is the atmosphere, not created by the very standard story (evil aliens, evil people- go get em bla bla science bla bla...) but by having NY fall into pieces right in front of you. On that Crytek didAfter playing half way into it I guess its only fair to say that the makers of Crysis 2 put quite some effort in it but worked a little sloppy here and there. Most noticeable about this game is the atmosphere, not created by the very standard story (evil aliens, evil people- go get em bla bla science bla bla...) but by having NY fall into pieces right in front of you. On that Crytek did one hell of a job, much more impressive than in "I am Legend" for example.
    What really annoys me are some things Crytek wouldn't have to worry about if they hadn't said they intended to create the "best first person shooter of all times".
    The AI is not so very intelligent. Sure, they go search for you for a couple of seconds once they notice you, but after that its way too easy to hide again.
    Often enough they get stuck in the laws of physics, running against walls, cars etc.
    And the graphics, as many others already claimed, are not even close to that top notch stuff you can see in the BF3 trailers.

However, all of that sounds very negative, but Crysis 2 is still one hell of fun game to play. Fast, violent and set into a threedimensional environment. Worth buying it. Score 8.0
  30. Mar 23, 2011
    A true sequel to the first game, though this game doesn't have the PC exclusive features that the first game had, but the story, the graphics and the gameplay are as good as Crysis, if not better. Highly recommended.

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    May 22, 2011
    New York in ruins, alien invasion and a hi-tech suit? Sounds like a typical B-movie. This time it's different – it's done with such perfection and enthusiasm that all FPSs can finally retire – either 2nd World War or modern. [Issue#203]
  2. May 18, 2011
    When we played Crysis 2 on the consoles, we honestly could have taken or left it. Only on the PC do we feel comfortable recommending and replaying Crytek's best game yet – and its first chance of matching technical prowess with good game design.
  3. May 5, 2011
    Crysis 2 meets and exceeds all my expectations as a sequel and a next-gen shooter.