Crysis 2 PC

6.8

1. Mar 22, 2011
    Surprisingly, an above-average singleplayer experience. Unlike the first Crysis, which started out great as a semi-openworld jungle adventure and kicked off into a horrible ice-covered alien-shooter, Crysis 2 proves a very solid and non-linear FPS. The game switches over from tropical paradise to apocalyptic NYC, and while that might sound more constrained, there are still many choices toSurprisingly, an above-average singleplayer experience. Unlike the first Crysis, which started out great as a semi-openworld jungle adventure and kicked off into a horrible ice-covered alien-shooter, Crysis 2 proves a very solid and non-linear FPS. The game switches over from tropical paradise to apocalyptic NYC, and while that might sound more constrained, there are still many choices to be made on how to engage each situation. You can take your time and stealth past huge amount of enemies, or you can start a 5-minute firefight in the streets. The story (I won't spoil it), is also told in a much better manner. It's not groundbreaking, but it's better than the generic action-flick stuff we've getting recently.
    Technically, the game is, for the most part, much above the pack. The lighting and high-poly weapon models make an unrivaled realistic experience, and personally I find this game looks MUCH better than the blurry dark mess that is Killzone. Also, unlike many recent PC releases (DA2, Shogun 2) this game actually runs WELL, even under what people would consider "mid-range" hardware. It's about time game developers actually worried about optimization instead of just screenshot eye-candy. All that said, the game failed to "wow" me as much as the first Crysis did at launch, and in some cases I can still swear Crysis' jungle looks a little better. Maybe it's because of the huge sunset vistas in contrast to the towering (but somewhat plain) skyscrapers. Still, I can't fault the graphics here, they're great. The sound is also about average with modern FPS games, maybe slightly above.
    Where this game starts to fail a little is multi-player. Crytek stated they wanted to become a leading multiplayer title like Battlefield, CoD, or Halo, and apparently their method of choice was to make the multiplayer as much like Call of Duty as possible. It is a somewhat more interesting experience, what with scaling huge walls and smashing down from the sky, but the formula is almost exactly the same. Go off by yourself, run around, and hope you can see someone before they see you. I thought cloak would cause serious camping, but I was actually pleasantly surprised at how effective armor was in countering it. I might play it a little bit, but for the last 3 and a half years I've had my fill of CoD multiplayer. Seriously, it's nothing special.

So, is it worth your money? If you want an awesome-looking game to impress your friends, yeah. If you want a nice action-packed Sci-Fi story, yeah. If you're only looking for the next game-changing multiplayer experience, don't bother, I highly doubt this will do much to the industry at all.
  2. Mar 23, 2011
    This is only a slightly above average shooter with barely above average graphics. Sure the graphic are great, if you only compare it to a console. Games like The Hunter and BF3, games that were designed with the PC in mind, clearly blow this game out of the water in the graphics department. Truly a shame, as that was one of Crysis' most redeeming features. You can see the influence inThis is only a slightly above average shooter with barely above average graphics. Sure the graphic are great, if you only compare it to a console. Games like The Hunter and BF3, games that were designed with the PC in mind, clearly blow this game out of the water in the graphics department. Truly a shame, as that was one of Crysis' most redeeming features. You can see the influence in other areas as well. Smaller maps, less players in multi player, cut prone feature. A lot of **** ended up getting cut or just tossed due to balancing around the console versions. It isn't that this is a really bad game or anything, just if you were expecting a sequel that took fps to a level like the original Crysis did, you will be disappoint. Expand
  3. Mar 25, 2011
    I love Crysis games for their open level design, and powerful suit that helps you creatively tackle the problems you face. It's polished and streamlined, but it doesn't hold your hand, or hold you back. Cries from PC enthusiasts that the series has been "consolefied" are untrue, but not unfounded. The level design and gameplay are just as sophisticated as ever, but at the time ofI love Crysis games for their open level design, and powerful suit that helps you creatively tackle the problems you face. It's polished and streamlined, but it doesn't hold your hand, or hold you back. Cries from PC enthusiasts that the series has been "consolefied" are untrue, but not unfounded. The level design and gameplay are just as sophisticated as ever, but at the time of release the PC version is lacking a couple basic expected features. For a game that so heavily advertises itself on it's fancy graphics, it's offensive that it would not include any modern DirectX support. It's graphics also fall short of expectations. Somehow the original Crysis looked far better. Despite all these disappointed and broken expectations, the game still has everything necessary to have a good time. Expand
  4. Sep 11, 2011
    I grabbed this game with NO expectations, wanting only to have fun with a graphically good-looking shooter .. and I was not dissapointed. Still, comparing this to Crysis 1 would be ridiculous. The original was in so many ways more enjoyable ..
  5. Jun 15, 2011
    Crysis 2 is a good shooter in many ways. Although the fun factor in these games is diminished for me lately, it still is an immersive, powerful experience with some truly great set pieces and optimized graphics that can run on even the most modest systems, such as my pretty good mid range gaming PC! The multiplayer is an added bonus that is fleshed out with plenty of game modes, and a fewCrysis 2 is a good shooter in many ways. Although the fun factor in these games is diminished for me lately, it still is an immersive, powerful experience with some truly great set pieces and optimized graphics that can run on even the most modest systems, such as my pretty good mid range gaming PC! The multiplayer is an added bonus that is fleshed out with plenty of game modes, and a few addictive things, but it is way too similiar to most Call of Duty games these days. The singleplayer is an example of why gamers expect way too much these days; just because the levels are easier to understand and not big boring jungles doesn't make it bad in any way. Crysis is boring for me, I'm sorry; Crysis 2 is not, as it is streamlined and easier to understand! Expand
  6. Apr 18, 2011
    The single-player had good graphics, and was well written. The gameplay was more repetitive and linear than the first one, an obvious sign of how it was dumbed down for consoles. But overall, I was pleased the with single player game, which was surprisingly long for a shooter. The multiplayer was vastly inferior to such games as call of duty. I have been playing shooters online for 9 yearsThe single-player had good graphics, and was well written. The gameplay was more repetitive and linear than the first one, an obvious sign of how it was dumbed down for consoles. But overall, I was pleased the with single player game, which was surprisingly long for a shooter. The multiplayer was vastly inferior to such games as call of duty. I have been playing shooters online for 9 years now, and I have never been so disappointed by online play. Every level is wide open, which makes for no strategy. The same open levels where you just get shot from the side by 10 people from all sides who are cloaked. No strategy and skill involved, and deaths mean almost nothing. Aiming in underwhelming, as cross-airs are too slow for people's movement and myself as well as the killcams I looked at showed people just spraying (THROUGH IRONSIGHTS). After playing online for 3 days and gaining 2 levels, I have no want to go back to the same 4 levels or 3 uninspired game types. Buy for single player, but no for online. Expand
  7. Nov 8, 2011
    This one is hard to rate. To start with, I was not a huge original Crysis fan. Therefore I view Crysis 2 not as a sequel but standalone game. I do not care if the game is sandboxed or not so this has not resulted in point deductions. It is a game that clearly had a large amount of effort put in but, unfortunately, it got spoiled by annoying negatives. The goods - huge amount of detail inThis one is hard to rate. To start with, I was not a huge original Crysis fan. Therefore I view Crysis 2 not as a sequel but standalone game. I do not care if the game is sandboxed or not so this has not resulted in point deductions. It is a game that clearly had a large amount of effort put in but, unfortunately, it got spoiled by annoying negatives. The goods - huge amount of detail in visuals, well-tuned performance, interactive environment, fairly good story and cinematics for this ganre. Overall a very good but not exceptional shooter.

Bads deserve to be taken one by one because they are so annoying. First is the blurry textures in the far distance (vegetation is especially horrible) and I am running it on ultra with DX11 and high-res textures. I even waited for those before playing the game hoping it will be fixed! The original Crysis and many less known games look way better with crisp textures close and far. Second, overall gamma is dark and depressing, sometimes to the point of interfering with game play. I run it on super bright Asus 3D monitor and even without 3D on it looks dark. Looks like it is a side effect of being a console port because I see it in more and more recent console port games. Is it because they tailor graphics to look nice on TVs? TVs are considerably brighter and have different color temperature because they are designed to be viewed from a distance. And then the last, but the most annoying, is the weapon controls. For some reason weapon switching is often messed up. On top of mouse lag, many times it gets frozen and would not respond to a request to switch weapon or to switch primary and secondary modes. Needless to say that when played on hard or above it is a deadly bug, which, combined with the dumb checkpoint saving system is causing you to replay quite a bit, spoiling the fun and immersion a lot. Honestly I have not hated any game in the long time as much as sometimes I hate this one. To sum up, it is very sad that a game with this much effort and potential could be spolied so badly. Unfortunately it seems to be the sign of the future of PC gaming.
  8. Aug 31, 2012
    I haven't got a single thing to complain about the graphical side. Maybe the art direction was a bit bland, but damn, it's pretty. Controls are great.
    It's still a stepdown from glorious Crysis, taking away the freedom and replacing it for a more linear experience.
    Get it on a sale.
  9. Apr 27, 2011
    Crysis 2.

For those who are looking to benchmark their graphics go somewhere else this game is no longer for that purpose. Also the consolisation is apparent with more linear maps and landscape. But it is not all bad. The plot is OK the pacing is good. On the downside the stealth aproach is way too good you can pretty much breeze through everything with it. On the multiplayer side it is
    Crysis 2.

But it is not all bad. The plot is OK the pacing is good.

On the multiplayer side it is enjoyable , but nothing really new under the sun and with the few and allready well seen gameplay modes it offers theres not really that much to get from MP.

If you enjoy an rather good Sci-Fi action check crysis 2 out if you get it for a bargain.
  10. Mar 25, 2011
    It's a good game, but the the PC port is just not very good. It's like they took the console version, did the bare minimum to make it work on PCs and called it a day. You're better off either waiting for the price to go down, waiting for mods or Crytek themselves to fix the controller issues and spotty graphics, or (god forbid) just buying the console version. I felt I was obligated toIt's a good game, but the the PC port is just not very good. It's like they took the console version, did the bare minimum to make it work on PCs and called it a day. You're better off either waiting for the price to go down, waiting for mods or Crytek themselves to fix the controller issues and spotty graphics, or (god forbid) just buying the console version. I felt I was obligated to buy the PC version just so Crytek won't give up on the platform entirely. 9/10 game, 5/10 port. Expand
  11. Apr 4, 2011
    Eh, you know what? I kinda liked it. Crysis 2 is a pretty decent shooter. It's just not a very good Crysis game. Crysis should not be a linear corridor shooter with some powerups and scripted events every 10 seconds. That's the main issue so many people here have with this game; it's VERY unlike part 1. I for one didn't even like the first game(s). The graphics were stupidly good, but theEh, you know what? I kinda liked it. Crysis 2 is a pretty decent shooter. It's just not a very good Crysis game. Crysis should not be a linear corridor shooter with some powerups and scripted events every 10 seconds. That's the main issue so many people here have with this game; it's VERY unlike part 1. I for one didn't even like the first game(s). The graphics were stupidly good, but the AI was dull, the physics were honestly not that great and enemies falling down ragdoll style is horrible no matter what game it's in. Part 2 has nice graphics. Really. It does. Even on 'low' it looks very, very good. Whether it actually looks better than part 1, I'll leave up to people like tweakers or whatever. All I can judge with are my eyes, and they consider this game to be very pretty looking. Moving on; the AI still isn't good, the physics are... well, there are no real physics in this game since there's barely any destructability. They fixed the stupid ragdolls though. Shooting enemies actually seems to have an impact now, they die sort of realistically. It still looks really dumb when you throw them, though. Toss a soldier in the air and he won't even flap his arms, he'll just float up like a stiff board.
    Anyway, wrapping up. Crysis 2 is not great. It's not even good. It's decent. It looks pretty, plays smoothly even on older PCs and things you point your guns at generally die. What more do you want from a decent shooter?
  12. Mar 25, 2011
    Sounds, musics, atmosphere, graphics, animations...etc. Only one word: Magnificent! Crysis 2, offers an experience that everyone should acquire and definitely have to play.
  13. Apr 21, 2011
    Not bad. The graphics still look pretty crisp and New York city looks pretty lively if it weren't razed by the next extraterrestrial. The game delivers sci-fi as it was intended and the story, while nothing spectacular, was still engaging enough that I managed to plow through the game from start to finish. Don't expect the game to be revolutionary, however. The game is much moreNot bad. The graphics still look pretty crisp and New York city looks pretty lively if it weren't razed by the next extraterrestrial. The game delivers sci-fi as it was intended and the story, while nothing spectacular, was still engaging enough that I managed to plow through the game from start to finish. Don't expect the game to be revolutionary, however. The game is much more claustrophobic, and lacks the degree of freedom that it did in the original Crysis. The fluidity of your nanosuit, while carrying most of the same abilities as the original, feels a bit sluggish, almost as if your playing robocop instead of some swift harbinger of death. The aliens in the game also seem quite different from what you encountered in the first game. Finally, the game is a bit repetitious in the sense that you face the same sorts of enemies over and over again. Beyond that, the game still delivers enough entertainment for what its worth in my books. It might not be worth a full 60 dollars, but perhaps 50 wouldn't be far off. Expand
  14. Apr 5, 2011
    Crysis 2 is an ok game.Of course its not the groundbreaking achievement the first game was but everybody knew that already.Graphics,game-play,game mechanics etc etc all of them are ok... they may not be great or innovative or whatever but they r also far from being average or just bad.
    The bottom line is when the third part comes its gonna be more like MW2 than Crysis 1 which is not a good or bad thing.. Its just ok.
  15. Apr 5, 2011
    Crysis 2 is a bit of a mixed bag. It is in no way the incredible step forward of the first, in gameplay or graphics, it suffers from noticeable consolisation as well as a myriad of bugs (on the PC at least).
    I haven't finished it yet or even gotten that far in as crossfire isn't working right and either flickers or lags/stutters, so that is quite annoying.
    But the bit I have played seems
    But the bit I have played seems solid, its obviously great to get some more story on Crysis 1. But the game is consolised, there has been no attempt to modify the control system to match PC, the graphics settings have been reduced from the previous 10 or so options plus AA to simply High, Very High, or Extreme which is very annoying. The graphics are definitely solid, its still a pretty game but nothing like the step forward of Crysis 1.
    The AI seems to be worse then in Crysis 1, which is very annoying and no doubt due to the consoles, but Multiplayer is great (after you manage to get past a heap of bugs) it uses the COD model with unique crysis improvements and is quite a bit of fun!
    Overall a solid game but hype has probably raised peoples expectations too high and bugs have probably cause many to give up on the game.
  16. Apr 10, 2011
    Crysis 2 is a good game. It's very fun indeed. It has fluid gameplay, amazing graphics, an absorbing multiplayer, and there are many other things to enjoy.

Crysis 2 is a very fun game to play, but it constantly begs you to ignore the question: Is this how a Crysis sequel should feel? Because in most cases, the answer will be no. This game is fun, but it is far from what we were promised. No DX11, no destructible environments, no open world levels. This is Crysis: Call of Duty. It's fun, but it'll leave Crysis fans wanting for something more.

Thus I give Crysis 2 a 7.0
  17. Apr 15, 2011
    Crysis 2 has gone the same way as Dragon Age 2. Its fun, but its B movie fun. Multi-player would be amazing. If not for people exploiting ever trick in the book. And there are a lot of tricks to exploit in Crysis 2. Overall the Mplayer simply makes me want to rip my face off lol. The demo was amazing, but only because it had the two BEST levels in the game in it and a good amount of theCrysis 2 has gone the same way as Dragon Age 2. Its fun, but its B movie fun. Multi-player would be amazing. If not for people exploiting ever trick in the book. And there are a lot of tricks to exploit in Crysis 2. Overall the Mplayer simply makes me want to rip my face off lol. The demo was amazing, but only because it had the two BEST levels in the game in it and a good amount of the "perks" shut down. I cant blame Crytek for how players game, but giving them the ability to be totally cheesy didn't help at all. Story mode held my interest for about... 2 hours.. After seeing numerous plot "holes" and things that made me go "but how the fk would they even do that" I lost any immersive feeling I had from the intro and simply lost interest. I regret buying it, but I dont want to regret buying.. If that makes any sense. I WANT to have fun but I just dont. Makes me a sad panda. :( Still, I see the potential and its not that bad of a game. But It doesn't live up to its name IMO. Expand
  18. Apr 17, 2011
    Crysis..is Okay. It is a good game if you just came into crysis but If you were one of the few that played Crysis 1 then you will be disappointed. They claimed it would be open-world but it just wasn't as open world as Crysis one. There is barely any vehicle combat. None at all online. The graphics are nice but can be a little dizzying at times .(Is that just me?) The original crysis wasCrysis..is Okay. It is a good game if you just came into crysis but If you were one of the few that played Crysis 1 then you will be disappointed. They claimed it would be open-world but it just wasn't as open world as Crysis one. There is barely any vehicle combat. None at all online. The graphics are nice but can be a little dizzying at times .(Is that just me?) The original crysis was only on PC but Crysis 2 is on consoles. I play Crysis 2 on PC. I believe that the PC gamer got shunted because Crytek wanted to attract Console gamers but did not completely polish the PC version. All in All, If you are on console. get it and haven't played the original you may want to check it out. The PC version on the other hand, You may want to pass on this game. Expand
  19. Apr 22, 2011
    Obviously, Crysis 2 comes no where near the original game with graphics, game-play or re-playabilty. It's what happens when you take a PC game and put it on consoles, I'm sure everyone rating this game for the PC can agree with that. The levels were tiny, so linear that a majority of the game I was walking in a straight line with few parts that opened up into arena type areas that I stillObviously, Crysis 2 comes no where near the original game with graphics, game-play or re-playabilty. It's what happens when you take a PC game and put it on consoles, I'm sure everyone rating this game for the PC can agree with that. The levels were tiny, so linear that a majority of the game I was walking in a straight line with few parts that opened up into arena type areas that I still could barely explore. The lack of different types of enemies was repetitive and by the end of the game I was able to defeat even the hardest monsters with a couple of C4 in a matter of seconds. As with the first Crysis the sounds were very well done, the guns in particular sounded amazing. The new environment, taking in place in New York city, was a nice change. I feel like the game could have been so much more if they were able to utilize the open world in New York like they did in Crysis. Being a Crysis title, it already adds more to the typical FPS genre game because of the nanosuit. It provides different ways to play the game and adds a little more flexibility to an otherwise very linear game. I also liked the changes that were made to the nanosuit, having to activate maximum armor added another degree of hardness to the game. The sprinting was disappointing though, its like a normal person sprinting. The last thing I would say is: don't be put off by how linear this game is. It's still an enjoyable experience with great graphics(not as good as the original, I know) and fun gameplay. The story ties together pretty nicely too. Expand
  20. Apr 20, 2011
    It's true that Crysis 2 feels streamlined and dumbed down when compared to the original. It takes steps forward but then it takes steps backward (mainly with the checkpoint system and streamlined nanosuit). Overall even though I prefered the original, I enjoyed Crysis 2. I like to think of it as a completely different game rather than a sequal to one of my favourite games.
  21. Apr 21, 2011
    I don't like the game because it is primitive shooter, it doesn't provide any interesting features like Crysis 1 did, there is no fun to shoot very stupid enemies in corridors or small limited yards among bad textures.
  22. Apr 23, 2011
    This is a game that could have been much more than it was - but is still good.
    Pros:
    Beautiful graphics, excellent level design, good difficulty curve Cons: WTF did i just finish this game in 4 hours? WTF?! The ranged SCAR is so much better than the other weapons, there is no need to use them. The nanosuit powers are totally useless - i used only the first of each of the categories, and
    This is a game that could have been much more than it was - but is still good.
    Pros:
    Beautiful graphics, excellent level design, good difficulty curve
    Cons:
    WTF did i just finish this game in 4 hours? WTF?!
    The nanosuit powers are totally useless - i used only the first of each of the categories, and was fine.
    Obviously this is another EA game that they rushed out the door, instead of letting the developers design more levels. Pretty sad, because if this game was about 4x as long, and had more variety it would be amazing.
  23. Apr 29, 2011
    Great game. Not quite what the original was for me but Crysis 2 does enough right and differently from the first game to carve out its out identity. Buy it!
  24. May 1, 2011
    May be it is not the level of CoD and far away from the best shooter of the present time but I really like it. Nice game design, but simple gameplay and story.
    So my score is 7 for the good view.
  25. May 8, 2011
    Started out great...but after doing the same gameplay loops over and over it turned into pretty repetitive and lost a lot of the interesting story elements if any. A lot of things were missing from this game, but without adding spoilers I will keep it simple. Overall its a fun game at best but feels forgettable by the end.
  26. May 11, 2011
    Here is a game that really dishes it up - but doesn't deliver any depth (just my opinion). Its a good shooter. The enemies display adequte AI. But there is not a great variety of enemies....and the amazing landscapes don't really add any great deapth or interactiveness to this first person shooter.
  27. May 17, 2011
    I played this on the Xbox 360, and it must be said that it is one of the best looking games around. Crysis 2 isn't exactly anything brand new, just a new way to occupy your time while waiting for something much better to come out. The single player isn't too shabby, and the multiplayer will entertain you. All in all, it's not a bad game, just not a very good one.
  28. Jun 4, 2011
    *This game is not Crysis 1*. I am convinced though that if Crysis 1 had never existed, that this game would have gotten much better reviews. Half the reason people hate the game is because it didn't quite live up to their expectations, even though it is still a good game in its own right. Crysis 2 is still a solid shooter that plays fluidly and has a decent campaign length. I haven't*This game is not Crysis 1*. I am convinced though that if Crysis 1 had never existed, that this game would have gotten much better reviews. Half the reason people hate the game is because it didn't quite live up to their expectations, even though it is still a good game in its own right. Crysis 2 is still a solid shooter that plays fluidly and has a decent campaign length. I haven't played around too much with the multiplayer, but this game is definitely worth a rent or a purchase when it comes down to around $30-40. Expand
  29. Jun 12, 2011
    Good game, however...

Good game, however...

In many places too linear (however from time to time there are some minor non-linear elements in levels), graphics isn't so awsome as one would like (at least on my hardware), enemies are stupid, not quick-save/load, game is too easy in most cases, also lenght load screens are annoying, only to wait to watch more videos, which could be played in the same time, also its console nature is really annoying. Unfortunetly better graphics in some places do not make it better game than far cry 1 or crysis 1. Vision of New York, some cool levels, and general articis design is good, but this is just a part of gameplay. There are some logical flaws in game, and non-sensic elements which ruins game.
  30. Jul 4, 2011
    I'm going to put this a blunt as possible: Graphics 10 -great Story 7 - it was OK not as good as Crysis and Crysis Warhead
    Mechanics 6 - things were moved around and a point system was added for extra perks.
    World 6 - not much to comment here you cant have a big world on a game in New York or can you... Weapons 7 - i like fantasy guns as much as the next person but this is real life
    Weapons 7 - i like fantasy guns as much as the next person but this is real life scenario in New York and i wanna see actual military grade weapons especially the 1911,AR-15.

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    May 22, 2011
    New York in ruins, alien invasion and a hi-tech suit? Sounds like a typical B-movie. This time it's different – it's done with such perfection and enthusiasm that all FPSs can finally retire – either 2nd World War or modern. [Issue#203]
  2. May 18, 2011
    When we played Crysis 2 on the consoles, we honestly could have taken or left it. Only on the PC do we feel comfortable recommending and replaying Crytek's best game yet – and its first chance of matching technical prowess with good game design.
  3. May 5, 2011
    Crysis 2 meets and exceeds all my expectations as a sequel and a next-gen shooter.