Culpa Innata PC

7.9

1. ThunderClaw
    Apr 11, 2008
    Culpa Innata is the first game that has actually managed to offend me while playing it. I have been playing for almost 20 years, and I greatly enjoy everything from Doom to Mortal Kombat to Grand Theft Auto, but Culpa Innata manages to combine a condescending and broken story world that is almost painfully ripped off Aldous Huxley's Brave New World with pathetically weak and Culpa Innata is the first game that has actually managed to offend me while playing it. I have been playing for almost 20 years, and I greatly enjoy everything from Doom to Mortal Kombat to Grand Theft Auto, but Culpa Innata manages to combine a condescending and broken story world that is almost painfully ripped off Aldous Huxley's Brave New World with pathetically weak and one-dimensional characters. Then it throws on a happy topping of misandry as a bonus! Anyone who has played games for more than a couple years will recognize the calls of misogyny from many, many games that touch on sex in any form. In some games, like The Witcher, these complaints are very valid. However, all games I have seen thus far leave their overt woman-hating safely on the sidelines for the player to seek out or avoid at their leisure. Culpa Innata, by contrast, seems to enjoy throwing around man-hating as a matter of course. Misandry pours off this game almost from the get-go, as the first 3 male characters you are introduced to (in roughly the same time period you are introduced to 5 female characters) are, respectively, a sexually philandering murder victim (the main character seems more interested in his faults than figuring out who killed him, even though it's her job to solve the murder), a junior investigator who is a malicious guttersnipe and swears to the main character in the opening scene that he will 'ruin her' for no discernable reason, and an old janitor who is totally senile; his uselessness is the source of the first 'puzzle' in the game. The female characters really aren't any stronger, story-wise. They're just unrealistic, one-dimensional idiots that run the story around in circles for so long you'll feel your eyes rolling into the back of your head. The only good thing about Culpa Innata, and the only reason the rating is greater than 0, is that when the puzzles do come around, they're genuinely interesting and legitimately difficult, unlike the some other games where it is practically impossible to figure things out without a guide, like Myst. But, in the end, the crimes pile up: Terrible story world, awful characters, idiotic preachiness, and dripping misandry. Why on earth would you play a game like this? Collapse
  2. JasonL
    Apr 27, 2008
    A pretty average game, definitely not for everyone. The dialogue and voice acting are monotonous and easily the weakest part of the game, which is disappointing if you're accustomed to the wry and witty dialogue of adventures like The Longest Journey or games by LucasArts and Sierra. There's also a fair number of puzzles involving locks or rearranging levers, if that's your A pretty average game, definitely not for everyone. The dialogue and voice acting are monotonous and easily the weakest part of the game, which is disappointing if you're accustomed to the wry and witty dialogue of adventures like The Longest Journey or games by LucasArts and Sierra. There's also a fair number of puzzles involving locks or rearranging levers, if that's your thing. While it does break the mold in some ways, it still feels more like a mid-90's style adventure that takes itself a little too seriously. Expand
  3. Mithras
    Mar 9, 2008
    It pains me to give this game as low of a score as I am giving it, as I looked forward to this game immensely, and frankly, did enjoy it a bit. The thing is, this is not a game; it is half a game. Maybe even a third or a quarter of a game. -Defcon 4 -Many Habeebs -Growing unrest with the society -Illegal VR device -Land of the renovators -Phoenix being important to the renovators -Random It pains me to give this game as low of a score as I am giving it, as I looked forward to this game immensely, and frankly, did enjoy it a bit. The thing is, this is not a game; it is half a game. Maybe even a third or a quarter of a game. -Defcon 4 -Many Habeebs -Growing unrest with the society -Illegal VR device -Land of the renovators -Phoenix being important to the renovators -Random appearance in Russia -falling in elevator shaft -"incomprehensibly inhumane acts" -many Habeebs -MATA HARI The list goes on. If you haven't figured out what the list is, it is a list of most of the issues, big and small, that were expanded upon, focused on, or at least alluded to in the game, which were never explained or developed. This game was all exposition. The only reason I kept playing is because it always felt like it was going to go somewhere, like something was going to happen, like there was some underground society to uncover! And you know what? Something did happen! There was a secret underground society, and it was discovered! Thing was, this was RIGHT at the end. The very end! "Look! A plot! Something interesting is happ- CREDITS" I enjoyed the game, but only because of the feeling that something would happen, and the game totally ruined it. I suppose it did pretty much state "there is going to be a sequel", but that is not enough to make the game good. For example, take a look at "Dreamfall: The Longest Journey". I love that game, it was fun; but this game did not conclude either! The ending was a cliffhanger, and the story is "to be continued". this game differs from Culpa Innata though, because when I finished it, I felt satisfied and happy, as well as eager for the next game; I did not feel ripped off and cheated out of my time. The reason is this: whilst Dreamfall had many points of action, rises and falls in drama, and large plot events throughout the story, Culpa Innata seemed to be just getting to its first rise in action when the game ended. This only left me frustrated and with a feeling like I had wasted fifteen-or-so hours of my life, as the thing that would have made the game feel like it was worth playing seems as though it will come in the sequel! All the events that I was cheated out of are those that would have made the game feel justified; now it just feels like it was wasted time wandering around doing nothing. Even the one thing that the game did give closure on, the murder case, didn't REALLY have closure given the fact that the whole explanation for the whole thing introduced new plot arcs and never-before-mentioned plot devices, so that it feels like the issue really isn't over. If a sequel comes out, I suggest you get the first game and play it then. Until then, this game is unfinished, and really quite disappointing. Yeah, good voice acting, great world, nice characters; but none of it amounted to anything; it's an adventure game, it relies on plot. Plus, the writing was often the worst I've ever read (Though most often it was fine). Expand
  4. Nov 5, 2013
    This is my favourite of dozens of adventure games I have played going back to the very first days of Kings Quest. Why? Because every aspect of the game is first rate: the future society depicted is rich and convincing; the visuals are beautiful; the voices are excellent, the characters are lifelike; the speech scenes are long, complex and realistic; and the puzzles are varied, challengingThis is my favourite of dozens of adventure games I have played going back to the very first days of Kings Quest. Why? Because every aspect of the game is first rate: the future society depicted is rich and convincing; the visuals are beautiful; the voices are excellent, the characters are lifelike; the speech scenes are long, complex and realistic; and the puzzles are varied, challenging and interesting.
    I have to take issue with some negative comments. The reviewer who complains Culpa Innata is only half a game is being unfair. Yes, the sequel is essential and I feel cheated that it is still not available. However, this game gives you a full game's worth of story, character and challenge. As for the comment that the dialogue is monotonous, this must have been written by someone who wants short shallow dialogue. This game has long dialogue which really opens up the characters and makes you feel part of their world, much closer than most games to the feeling you get from reading a good novel. There are some well crafted dialogue puzzles with complex trees which are genuinely difficult to navigate to a winning outcome though you don't lose the game overall if you fail.
    (Sorry for duplicating my previous review got truncated somehow)
  5. RayD.
    Mar 10, 2009
    I am hard pressed to find anything lousy about this game. The puzzles are terrific, ranging from simple to one of the most difficult I have encountered! The music is great; the graphics are superb, and the story has all the makings of an x-files type of classic thriller. Well done!
  6. TracyK.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Refreshing game. Great mystery. If you're a fan of the old adventure games you'll love this one!
  7. MarcoS.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Very beautiful adventure... even if the graphic is very awful
  8. Atombomb2097
    Feb 5, 2008
    Good: great atmosphere, very good puzzles, memorable characters, complex storyline, open ended, original &imaginative background, catchy music, great voice acting, long journey to the end Bad: Pixelated graphics, some camera & design flaws, some ambiguous dialogue
  9. JasonC.
    Feb 7, 2008
    An unusual and surprisingly compelling game, with creatively done and varied puzzles that fit well into the story line w/o feeling too contrived. Suffers from a little discontinuity in various ways, but well worth the trip.
  10. JasonB.
    Feb 9, 2008
    This is a terrific adventure game with a deep and absorbing storyline, strong characters and enjoyable gameplay. Highly recommended to fans of the genre.
  11. JosephK
    Aug 2, 2008
    This is probably the hardest puzzle game i ever played. It is very complex and if you do not pay attention, you can go totally off track. People who like to glorify the hell of war for some sick reason will not like this but war is not for me so to each his own. They did need less dialogue because the game itself without that is really excellent- very hard however.
  12. AlexK.
    Dec 3, 2007
    The best adventure games in the last 10 years. A word of advise: the game still has major bags that could made it unfinishable even with the 1.02 version.
  13. DavidP.
    Nov 19, 2007
    Facial technology impressive, game solid but weak ending.
  14. MustafaK
    Dec 31, 2009
    Great adventure game. Nice storyline and characters. Graphics are a bit outdated but if you're really an adventure game player, you probably would not care for that.
  15. Sep 2, 2010
    One of the most amazing hidden gems of the Point N' Click adventure genre. If you like adventure games and Point N' Click games, you should buy this with 0% hesitation.
  16. May 22, 2011
    An interesting game for fans of point and click adventures featuring an orwellian type futuristic society. It has an extremely engaging storyline and is one of those games you can't stop thinking about and puzzling over. The main character Phoenix is fairly likeable and the facial animations excellent. The areas are unique and interesting. The storyline really is good though. Even thoughAn interesting game for fans of point and click adventures featuring an orwellian type futuristic society. It has an extremely engaging storyline and is one of those games you can't stop thinking about and puzzling over. The main character Phoenix is fairly likeable and the facial animations excellent. The areas are unique and interesting. The storyline really is good though. Even though this game is not technically perfect and has some minor gripes it is well easily overlooked by the atmosphere and level of immersion. I really enjoyed this game. There is uncertainty to a sequel being released....it has been mentioned but not for about a year and the game does leave a lot of questions....but that is good because it gives you a lot to mull over. Expand
  17. Jul 21, 2011
    2011.07 PC STEAM
    This game: Great - slow, deliberate, fun, intriguing....
    Me: highly game experienced.... Executive summary A slow and fun adventure game with the sociological perspective of an academic Turkish women.... this game gives you the pangs for the old days with green phosphorus screens and a z-interpreter.... Results: This story about a cat named Schrodinger is compelling; play
    2011.07 PC STEAM
    This game: Great - slow, deliberate, fun, intriguing....
    Me: highly game experienced....

Executive summary
    A slow and fun adventure game with the sociological perspective of an academic Turkish women.... this game gives you the pangs for the old days with green phosphorus screens and a z-interpreter.... Results: This story about a cat named Schrodinger is compelling; play as a young detective working through a murder case....the game mechanics are pretty good 8/10 and the visuals are good enough for the release date.... Conclusion: I am happy that I played this game.... my HDI has gone up (down) through this experience.... I am a better (more disillusioned) union citizen....
    A must for the adventure gaming fan.

The story is told from the perspective of a naive member of the UTOPIC union state. Through the story the protagonist discovers the lies of control .... A good adventure game always needs a good story.

This is a point and click game.... none of the game requires any time sensitive moves....
    The world size is limited and manageable.... The inventory management is slow but not as bad as DeuxEx.

Story
    The story is well told - it is internally consistent 99.9% of the time....

Acting
    The lead voice acting is great but the supporting actors are weak.... and forgivable.

Ambience and music
    Good ! I am happy to say that I turned the music volume up during the game because I liked the choices. Hardware
    I played this on a 3.4 MHz C2DUO (CPU) with a ATI HD 5700 (GPU). Looked beautiful. No issues whatsoever.

Me age: 47 Total years of gaming: 39 Favorite device now: PC gaming on Steam (227)....
    (also own PS3 (3), XBOX360 (12), Wii (2)) (have owned Colecovision, Nintendo hand helds, Apple II plus, Apple PowerPC, XBOX (32)) Favorite genre is FPS with RPG elements. All game types are appreciated for their perfection, creativity, and novelty.
  18. Dec 8, 2014
    Definitely a good game in its genre (Adventure/Quest). Unfortunately it fell under the radar and did not get enough buzz.
    The game is actually based on a very good book, if i am not mistaken, called "The Schrödinger's Cat". The story in the game is pretty twisted and quite deep - i loved it just for the story alone. The main character is good, and the progression well thought through.
    Unfortunately, it ends with a sequence in mind - which never did come.
  19. Jan 22, 2012
    Bought this game cheap on Steam, based on recommendations, and was equally not disappointed like so many other reviews. Although the ending is not great, the whole feel is excellent with clean simple graphics compared to today (but in many ways suiting the game), thought the music was just great (that made it for me), the lead character entertaining and a nice voice (supporting charactersBought this game cheap on Steam, based on recommendations, and was equally not disappointed like so many other reviews. Although the ending is not great, the whole feel is excellent with clean simple graphics compared to today (but in many ways suiting the game), thought the music was just great (that made it for me), the lead character entertaining and a nice voice (supporting characters far less so, but forgiveable), and the puzzles fitted into the game really well. A very healthy score 8, recommended to those who enjoy point and click. Expand

1. This is the saga we’ve been waiting for. Thank you Momentum.
  2. What Culpa Innata lacks in terms of innovative gameplay, it makes up for in depth – that is the key to this game.
    There are some strong elements to Culpa Innata, but overall, the excessive amounts of bad dialogue drowns out nearly all of the stronger puzzles clamoring for attention.