Cultures PC

8.2

1. ThE_RadiX
    Oct 4, 2001
    My dad loves it. He's a big "Settlers" fan too, so this is very similiar... Don't try to compare against "Age of Kings." Try to understand the realism factor.
  2. Jackie
    Jul 12, 2002
    This game is really good, you just have to be patient, as it is pretty slow, it's also a bit like 'Age of Empires' but I liked this better.
  3. Jamie
    Jul 21, 2006
    This is like settlers, only even cuter. Additionally, you have direct control over individuals (Unlike settlers) and can even send them exploring on rpg type missions to find treasure and interact with other people. They can also equip themselves with boots, shields, swords etc that they find. Basically, it's an early RTS/RPG hybrid and the reviewers just didn't "get" it. This is like settlers, only even cuter. Additionally, you have direct control over individuals (Unlike settlers) and can even send them exploring on rpg type missions to find treasure and interact with other people. They can also equip themselves with boots, shields, swords etc that they find. Basically, it's an early RTS/RPG hybrid and the reviewers just didn't "get" it. Tremendous fun, pretty to look at, lots to explore. I STILL have it on my HD, along with 2 and 3 (Which are even better!) Expand
  4. Mar 4, 2015
    I have really enjoyed this so far. I am also a Settlers fan (The first 2 anyway). It is a nice slow paced game that is good for when you are not in the mood for something quicker. If you like slow city builders like Pharaoh and Caesar and enjoy micromanagement then you should enjoy this.

It really takes time to build up a sizable colony and you must sort food as a matter of urgency, because unlike in Settlers your vikings will actually starve. You must tell your vikings to have kids, which is actually quite useful because it allows you to control your population and stops you having loads of unemployed vikings eating your food but not doing anything useful.

The campaign mode is also very interesting with varied objectives and a nice storyline. I really don't understand the negative critic reviews, although I will admit that this will only appeal to a certain type of gamer. It leans more towards the peaceful building type than the aggressive kill everything type. If you are the type to go for a culture or science victory on Civ then I would recommend giving this a try.

1. This is what ultimately lets this game down – the boring simple things just take a little too long to do. Your villagers do not recreate on their own – you have to tell them practically everything in order for things to happen.
  2. Only those who are willing to take the time to be bogged down in the minutia of running the lives and future of an entire virtual village should look seriously at this RTS title.
  3. Cultures suffers from a lack of personality because it feels like an amalgam of other games in this genre rather than a distinct design. If you're interested in city-building games, there are far better ones available that are more worthwhile.